7.8

1. Sep 7, 2013
    ---Rating---
    Design: 3 /5 (recycles the same formula, most but not all changes constitute "streamlining")
    Polish: 4 /5 (graphics are acceptable given the game's nature, but nothing too impressive) Value: 4 /5 (decent replay value as always and nice mod support, but limited choice of factions) ---Review--- Civilization V is certainly playable and enjoyable at that, but- perhaps
    ---Rating---

---Review---
    Civilization V is certainly playable and enjoyable at that, but- perhaps unsurprisingly- this iteration of the ever popular series amounts to little more than a re-skinning of previous entries. The hex-based map and in-game mod database are welcome additions, but otherwise most changes could be lumped under the banner of "streamlining" (for better or worse). It's a decent choice for those who somehow still haven't ever tried a Civilization game, but Civ V doesn't make too many significant improvements over previous installments.
  2. Sep 7, 2013
    I found that Civilization V is a perfect game for anyone getting into the franchise or for long experience Civilization players, it is a great game to play for several days at a time with friends, or a quick game when you have the time. The only complaint I have is that the diplomacy factor in this game is a bit limited with very little options and Civilizations often attack you or demandI found that Civilization V is a perfect game for anyone getting into the franchise or for long experience Civilization players, it is a great game to play for several days at a time with friends, or a quick game when you have the time. The only complaint I have is that the diplomacy factor in this game is a bit limited with very little options and Civilizations often attack you or demand land/resources for an unknown reason. Overall a very good game especially when played with a group of friends. Expand
  3. Sep 6, 2013
    A Master piece, Civ 5 is both beautiful and complex in a good way that is fun to play and very addictive, there are tons of options and mods to suit your style (diplomacy, war, tech, etc) a very nice addition to the franchise. A must have for turn-based strategy lovers.
  4. Sep 4, 2013
    Pros:
    -Keeps you entertained for many hours
    -Lots of buildings, units, wonders and nations in a huge world.
    -Lots of strategy

Cons:
    -Nations are similar
    -Diplomacy does not work.
    -Late game becomes boring
    -Needs the expansions before its a true masterpiece.

Conclusion: Without the expansions it has many flaws but is still entertaining for many hours.
  5. Aug 21, 2013
    RTS is my lifeblood in gaming. With all the expansions including brave new world, this turn-based strategy game simply has no equal in its scope and complexity. The fantastically addictive concept of creating and growing your perfect civilization through the ages holds as much sway today as it ever has and this is the only franchise to offer it on such a legit level.

This is a

This is a magnificent achievement by Firaxis...this game needed a number of years to mature but now I'd say it ranks as the best strategy game of all time alongside Starcraft I and II, and easily the best turn-based RTS ever made. Wait for the sale on steam and take the bite, you'll get the value of what this game is should worth for a value conscious buyer (especailly when buying all the xpacs).
  6. Aug 16, 2013
    All if the problem I see in any review are either fixed in options or are fixed through mods. Which don't only fix the problems but make it more fun in SO many ways! Miss the Civ IV diplomacy? There's a mod. Not enough maps? There are hundreds of mods. Not enough Civs. Hundreds of mods from historical civilizations to civs based on other video games like Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, etc.All if the problem I see in any review are either fixed in options or are fixed through mods. Which don't only fix the problems but make it more fun in SO many ways! Miss the Civ IV diplomacy? There's a mod. Not enough maps? There are hundreds of mods. Not enough Civs. Hundreds of mods from historical civilizations to civs based on other video games like Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, etc. Not to mention the fact that all the mods are on the Steam Workshop!!! So they're easier to get than the friggin GAME! Another thing to add that is VERY IMPORTANT. The DLC is nearly REQUIRED to make the game really fun. You need Gods and Kings to use most mods and adds SPIES and BNW adds things like the World Congress (mini UN) and makes the cultural victory a little harder and more interesting by adding things like great artists, writers, and musicians. I found the names of famous x for great x's very adorable and cool. I have played this game for hundreds of hours and I have never lost interest. My favorite era to start in is the classical era. Because you have to wait FOREVER in the ancient era for workers to do ANYTHING except build farms. Just a suggestion. :P But in all honesty the game isn't as bad as everyone says. It's probably the easiest Civ to get into the series... And even if it isn't as "good" as the others it's still a hell of a lot of fun! I have also noticed the addition of HEXES to be a lot better than squares. In the end I feel this game deserves a 10/10 and I suggest this to EVERYONE!!! Final note: This game isn't an action packed shooter. It is a strategy game so don't expect every second to be action packed. It's a game that requires patience and thought(especially on the longer game times). No campaign, no bullcrud. Just strategy. And hopefully that's your thing!!! Expand
  7. Aug 13, 2013
    A game that is totally worth buying. Maybe different from other Civs (I played civ III and a lot of civ IV), but it feels fresh and easy to adapt. Something I hated the most of Civ IV was the stacked units in huge armies. That is gone, and now it feels like really playing a board game. As well as easy to learn from the game to play it. But yet, hard to master.

I didn't rate ir with a

I didn't rate ir with a 10, because I still miss how the characters in Civ III changed their clothes as time passed (that was great). I mean, you can see in the old ages George Washington using his 1700's clothes. But this game totally worth buying.
  8. Aug 12, 2013
    It´s important to look at details in every work that has its history of doing great things. But what most bored me in Civ V were, beyond the details, the feelling. The feeling that the old and invincible atmosphere of great games, like Civ II and Civ III, or til the good job from Civ IV, were completely missed by a kind of test or adventure to try a "new thing" that perhaps would make someIt´s important to look at details in every work that has its history of doing great things. But what most bored me in Civ V were, beyond the details, the feelling. The feeling that the old and invincible atmosphere of great games, like Civ II and Civ III, or til the good job from Civ IV, were completely missed by a kind of test or adventure to try a "new thing" that perhaps would make some revolution... here is the thing: they tried, but they couldn´t. Civ V is a disrespect to everything that previous Civilization games gathered. Expand
  9. Aug 12, 2013
    One of my favorite strategy games. I always thought Civ was a boring series, but after playing Civ V during a Steam free weekend I actually enjoyed it. It allows you to forge your own empire, and choose whether to pursue a republic of peace, or an empire of destruction. Fun, addictive turn-based game. Hasn't crashed once on me.
  10. Aug 5, 2013
    Best strategy game I've ever played. The game play is so complete. You'll rarely find a game that much complete. There's still some little annoying things like the on-line. Getting an on-line server is way too long. When you're in game..it's lagging frequently but you can have fun even with these lag. The rest is awesome.
  11. Aug 4, 2013
    Best Civ yet. There are some negatives with the game but with the recent release of Brave New World the end game is terrific. No unit stacking causes you to place your units more strategically. The World Congress/United Nations brings an excellent end game experience and great new ways to influence the game. One of my biggest complaints was how missiles work in the game with no way toBest Civ yet. There are some negatives with the game but with the recent release of Brave New World the end game is terrific. No unit stacking causes you to place your units more strategically. The World Congress/United Nations brings an excellent end game experience and great new ways to influence the game. One of my biggest complaints was how missiles work in the game with no way to defend against them other than by keeping your distance and using your own missiles to guess where the computer has his and blowing their city up. Limited moves for nukes suck. The AI has been fixed a good bit with the latest patches. All in All this game is fantastic and if you didnt like it when it first came out you will definately like it now. One last thing and its the biggest for me is multiplayer. Its still missing the single player features like leader animations, wonder animations and so on. For those who like to play vs the computer with friends thats a real bummer. Still a 10/10. Expand
  12. Aug 1, 2013
    Civilization V is truly the ultimate experience in casual (and a higher difficulties, hardcore) strategy gaming. Having played Civ III for many hours as a kid (I'm 18) and picking up a used copy of Civilization Revolution for PS3 a few years back, this was the first game that I bough when I re-entered the PC gaming world, and I was amazed. The graphics are astonishing for a turn-basedCivilization V is truly the ultimate experience in casual (and a higher difficulties, hardcore) strategy gaming. Having played Civ III for many hours as a kid (I'm 18) and picking up a used copy of Civilization Revolution for PS3 a few years back, this was the first game that I bough when I re-entered the PC gaming world, and I was amazed. The graphics are astonishing for a turn-based strategy game with water effects rivaling any blockbuster of today. Huge selections of empires with plenty of unique structures and units all wrapped up into a very fluid user interface make this a game worth experiencing. The music and voice-work are top notch, but it is really the gameplay that matters. Firaxis knows how to balance a game and any issues that existed at launch of both the base game, and DLCs were quickly patched. Historical knowledge is abound in the so-called "civilopedia" providing photographs and histories over all of the world leaders, wonders, city-states, and more. This game does also have Steam workshop support letting players modify it in all crazy ways if they do get bored. This coupled with the two expansions and the overall long term support allow this addictive game to force anyone to replay it time and time again.
    With this said, the AI is not perfect and the game can occasionally lag even on my PC (which exceeds recommended system requirements in each regard). Inability to stack certain units (i.e., great people, trading units, workers) can be frustrating, but for military units, it is one of the games shining innovations that changes the state of warfare only for the better. The new diplomacy victory and Shoshone empire are currently overpowered in the latest expansion, but I'm sure that will be balanced as Gods and Kings was so perfectly balanced.
    This is a game with infinite replay whether it be in single-player, scenarios, or the flawless multiplayer. This is the Grand Theft Auto of strategy games, a culmination of many superb parts working together to form an even more perfect whole. In the end, I'd give it a 9.8/10 if only to see if Firaxis can out-do itself in Civilization VI.
  13. Aug 1, 2013
    Sid Meier's Civilization is a strategy game you can play a very long time, but the challange misses at the end and if you play it on higher difficulties, the enemy is unfair. Generally is the KI difficult to understand. It looks nice, there is music for every nation, the control is easy and there is a large variety of units and buildings. Also a lot of fun in multiplayer.
  14. Jul 30, 2013
    I've played all versions of civilization: Civ Dos, Civ II, Civ III, Civ, IV and all Civs expansions. Played Call to Power, C-Evo, Freeciv, too. By far this is the worst version already launched.
  15. Jul 28, 2013
    WARNING: Do not play unless you have many hours to spare! You WILL get addicted, and lose the time. Of course though, that's a commendable accomplishment on the game's part. It is so fun, and I always find myself trying a new strategy with a new character, or what mods there are on the Steam Workshop. With Brave New World recently released, you're in for one LONG play session(s)
  16. Jul 26, 2013
    As a lifetime of Civilization and Alpha Centauri, I liked this game. Actually, the 5th version is better than 3d and 4th. It's also slightly better than Civ 2 but still a bit worse than Alpha Centauri.
    The new things i liked were the hex grid, the ranged units (though they were in Alpha Centauri already), the cities which can fire at enemies, the OCC mode, the civ-specific bonuses, the culture and growth of city-worked area.
    The things I didn't like are the independent cities (useless and pointless addition, I just conquered them all), the strange new system of happiness (depends on special resources, wft), and the strange system of government tweaking (you just unlock something once, and it stays).
    Overall, it's a good game and I played it 5 or 10 times in total, won on 6th level of difficulty (but never managed to beat the 7th). I am still playing Alpha Centauri and have been playing it for 10 years at least, just for comparison.
    Cmon guys, please make Alpha Centauri 2.
  17. Jul 22, 2013
    Never played Civilization before and having decided to purchase Civilization V I found myself getting to grasp pretty easily how things operate, At first the turn based aspect put me off but then found myself playing for 5 hours straight completely addicted.

I've played a fair share of strategy games but Civ V has made my top 3.
  18. Jul 21, 2013
    This game in vanilla form is a middle finger to all Civ IV fans. After all the DLC are added it becomes a pretty nice game. You will need ton increase the difficulty level as they didn't do a good job with the AI.
  19. AWG
    Jul 21, 2013
    I've never been a big fan of strategy games, and in fact I'm not a big fan of this fifth installment of the Sid Meier's Civilization saga, even if it looks and sounds cool.
  20. Jul 20, 2013
    [Quick Infomation]: I'm completely new to the Civilization V series, but this title is one you should consider picking up! The game is about you taking control of a civilization. For example China. You can choose to start in the ancient age all up till the information age. You can also choose to spawn in the real world or a random map, or just build a map!

[Gameplay]: The gameplay is

[Gameplay]: The gameplay is turn based. You do what ever you want to do in a turn. Press "Next Turn" and the AI (or if Multiplayer a human) does what ever they want. You can choose different kinds of game speeds. Quick, Standard, Epic & Marathon. The difference between the game speeds is how long Research, Production & Grow takes. But movement of units ISN'T slowed. The maps is made of Hex's. It opens up for lots of tactical opportunities.

[Gameplay Time]: If you start from the ancient era, and with quick speed. You can easily expect a few hours. Unless you rush your enemies. A marathon can take multiple days. But over the course of multiple days you can get tired with your Civilization. So I do not recommend playing at this speed. I normally take Epic to have a acceptable science speed. and so I have time to explore in a good time. But Marathon is just to boring since there isn't much to do while you wait for the cities to finish production. In the course of 2 weeks I've already played around 100 hours. Only a few games can keep my attention so strong and I'm still playing!

[Community]: The game features mod support. The mods are in the Main Menu. Just click on the and connect to steam workshop and there are already many mods for you to use even more time on the game!

[Multiplayer]: The multiplayer is not tagged on. It has a great multiplayer. It is pretty much just like Single player but just with humans! But the turns takes some time late game. You can actually turn something called "Pitboss" on. This will do so that every time it's your turn in Multiplayer it can either e-mail you or send you a steam invite. While you do other stuff! But I like the Single player more since there isn't that waiting time. But one quite annoying thing that can't really be fixed is that there will always be a good one in a game. If you are the good one, it will really decrease the other players morale... If they have a bad time they will properly quit or just be kind of sad/mad at you (friends) So this game is best at it's Single player.

[Final Score]: 9/10
  21. Jul 15, 2013
    As deep as its previous installments were, Civilization V in its original form simply does not deliver an experience that even remotely approaches the finesse of its prequels. While the hex tile change does add some freedom and depth, too many options have been removed and replaced with very uninteresting combat mechanics that, especially at endgame, result in a clickfest without any soulAs deep as its previous installments were, Civilization V in its original form simply does not deliver an experience that even remotely approaches the finesse of its prequels. While the hex tile change does add some freedom and depth, too many options have been removed and replaced with very uninteresting combat mechanics that, especially at endgame, result in a clickfest without any soul or body to it.

Graphics 6/10 High detail but has various graphical glitches (such as terrain changes applying far too late).
    Sound 8/10 The soundtrack and fx add a lot to the experience of immersion and never annoy.
    Gameplay 5/10 Fun to play once or twice, tedious and boring after having seen the first few games you play. The AI is not up to scratch either and very easily defeated, even at high difficulty.
    Mechanics 1/10 Extremely lacking game mechanics that get worse as a game progresses along the tech tree late game virtually always results in mass nuking everyone, because every other option results in an endless, tedious clickfest to push through your turns and execute the attacks.

Final note: the DLC's and expansions to this game, completely change the picture and fix most of its flaws.
  22. Jul 10, 2013
    Very great and fluid running game. enhance that experience by getting at least the major 2 addons as they offer vast amounts of new content for your money. If you love strategy games, this ones for you.
  23. Jul 2, 2013
    They decided to try to revamp the Civ series with Civ V, and in my opinion, they did a pretty decent job.

If you are coming from Civ IV, there are quite a large number of changes that you need to note, the largest thing they changed was the fact that the map is hex-based and you are limited to 1 military, and 1 civilian unit per hex. This does allot to fix the anemic combat in the Civ games, and adds a large amount of actual strategy to fights, instead of moving stacks of death to steam-roll things. They also made it very hard to attack cities compared to before, since cities actually have a large amount of power, and can actually hold off a crowd of units by themselves.

Anyways, if you enjoy building and managing an empire with the focus on managing the empire combined with some turn based combat, then Civ V is a great choice. If you didnt really like the Civ series before this due to the combat, try this one, its much better.

The vanilla game is fun, but I would heavily recommend that you get the God & Kings expansion at the very least, as it fixes a ton of issues with the combat (all units health are measured with 100x more HP, so a modern tank cant be destroyed by bum-rushing with a mob of super low tech units), and adds a bunch of new things in the mix like espionage and religion.

If you decide to get this game, get the gold edition. Prepare to lose many hours of sleep to this game once you start playing though... a standard game will last anywhere between 8-10 hours on average.
  24. Jun 25, 2013
    Probably the best Civilization game thus far especially for anyone looking just fun strategy gaming. The game looks gorgeous and features some new features like hex-tiles and social policies (get to select civilization bonuses when culture grows enough).

Can't say if this is the best CIV game (or not) for all you hardcore strategy nuts since I'm not that hardcore myself. I do think that the current user score (7.2) is unfair. If this was was non-civilization game, the score would easily be around 8 or 9.
  25. Jun 18, 2013
    What can I say about Civ V that hasn't already been said a million times.
    It's not like the others, it's not as big, it's not as intricate, etc.
    This is all true, but I've never played any other Civ games, and for me, this one was pretty fun to me. That said, it is a very flawed game. The AI is very wonky, and the barbarians can be a bit weird sometimes, but on the whole. It's a fun
    What can I say about Civ V that hasn't already been said a million times.
    It's not like the others, it's not as big, it's not as intricate, etc.
    That said, it is a very flawed game. The AI is very wonky, and the barbarians can be a bit weird sometimes, but on the whole. It's a fun game. If you've played other civs, you may not like it, but as a first time player, I really like it.
  26. Jun 18, 2013
    I love this game. I bought it on steam so it's easy to mod and I found the gods and kings expansion a real improvement over vanilla (where I would often run out of luxury resources and my people would be pissed at me). My beef with this game is that I find the map types really limiting. I would like to see more creativity in the map designs and then maybe I will stop playing on fourI love this game. I bought it on steam so it's easy to mod and I found the gods and kings expansion a real improvement over vanilla (where I would often run out of luxury resources and my people would be pissed at me). My beef with this game is that I find the map types really limiting. I would like to see more creativity in the map designs and then maybe I will stop playing on four corners, continents, and pangea. All in all, this was my first Civ game and I really enjoyed the simplicity of the user interface and the complexity of figuring out how to do well in this game. I would recommend this game to others. Expand
  27. Jun 17, 2013
    Still playing it, still enjoying it so long after buying it. So nice to find a game with such re playability. The last expansion was a bit weak but looking forward to the next, the more content for this game the better. I am a big fan of the Civ series and while this isnt the strongest in some respects (Weird technical issues it had concerning performance for a long time) its stillStill playing it, still enjoying it so long after buying it. So nice to find a game with such re playability. The last expansion was a bit weak but looking forward to the next, the more content for this game the better. I am a big fan of the Civ series and while this isnt the strongest in some respects (Weird technical issues it had concerning performance for a long time) its still more of a good thing and unlike many great series it hasnt got so far from its roots that it lost its appeal. More of the same and thank god for that! Expand
  28. Jun 16, 2013
    I love this game, I started off on civ when I illegally downloaded civ 2 and loved it so much I got my parents to buy it.. I bought civ 3, 4, and 5 too as quick as possible. Civ vets are obviously going to notice a big loss in micro control over tons of different aspects of the game, it's much more simple then the past... kind of sucks in a way, I do miss the control.. but I dig the easeI love this game, I started off on civ when I illegally downloaded civ 2 and loved it so much I got my parents to buy it.. I bought civ 3, 4, and 5 too as quick as possible. Civ vets are obviously going to notice a big loss in micro control over tons of different aspects of the game, it's much more simple then the past... kind of sucks in a way, I do miss the control.. but I dig the ease of learning it new, I've been able to get more people planning it then the older ones, because everyone was just too scared.. I love the combat with non stackables, thats one reason the AI was so good in the old, it's a computer and can manage 100 units on one tile better then a human, graphics are gorgeous.. I will add I didn't like they left the spys and UN voting concept out for DLC, kind of felt cheated on that a little, but the game is still a great game, it's like a new flavor of the old, battles are more enjoyably, and the key concepts of tech, culture, and diplomacy are great.. The best thing that makes this game for me is the multiplayer, I play on the LAN with multiple friends, (Noobies and vets, since it's more friendly for noobs now) and I have a blast, we can play marathon for weeks and have so much fun with diplomacy and allying up with friends against other friends. PS 60 dollars is a lot, catch a deal at steam, I got two more copys for friends on steam this weekend for 13 dollars each!! (that was with all DLC EXCEPT the brave new world DLC coming next month)hope this helps one person at least Expand
  29. Jun 15, 2013
    I see a lot of people complaining that this game isn't what they expected based on older Civ games. I've never played any of the older ones, so I didn't know what to expect, but I know that this game is amazing. It is addicting, fun to play with friends, and a great overall strategy game. There is a lot to manage, and happiness is an issue, but if you take time and learn how to play itI see a lot of people complaining that this game isn't what they expected based on older Civ games. I've never played any of the older ones, so I didn't know what to expect, but I know that this game is amazing. It is addicting, fun to play with friends, and a great overall strategy game. There is a lot to manage, and happiness is an issue, but if you take time and learn how to play it shouldn't be a problem.

I gave it a 9 because there are still some issues to be worked out, like Multiplayer mods as well as city-states being almost completely useless.
  30. Jun 13, 2013
    The only thing i miss about this game vs Civilization IV is the politics system, i hate the new social policies and poor cultural victory, but they are going to change that in the next expansion anyway.
    Its easy to pick up for newbies, and experts can think out some complicated devious plan, the combat is much better now (no archers destroying my tanks or spearmen taking down helicopters) and the only thing that is unsatisfying about it is the lack of grenadiers and a bonus against infantry for tanks, otherwise it is really great, the diplomacy is ok but a little dumb and does not lead anywhere, the civilization i am threatening as the only nuclear state (yet) refuses to give me 50 gold, 10 turns later i won a domination victory, however the different personalities are quite nice, if they fix the flaws in a way that cannot be abused and also feels more natural they are going to make the greatest strategy game in history.
  31. Jun 13, 2013
    I have to admit... I haven't touched civilization in a long, long time.

I am old enough to have played the first iteration...and the board game. I stumbled, accidentally, across the Gold pack on steam for less than ten bucks and figured 'why the heck not'. Urgh. Mistake. One looong night later, the alarm clock went down WAY too early for my taste, because time flew by at my computer
    I have to admit... I haven't touched civilization in a long, long time.

Urgh. Mistake. One looong night later, the alarm clock went down WAY too early for my taste, because time flew by at my computer into the wee hours of the morning.

The game is fun. A lot,. Even when you finished it, you can go at it straight away again. Addictive is the right choice of words here. It needs a timer that forces you to save and quit...or...something. A good wife dragging you away from your computer also works
  32. Jun 12, 2013
    The latest instalment of the long running series continues the evolution of the ultimate strategy game. Starting with a single band of settlers at the dawn of man-kind the goal is to create the ultimate civilization to eclipse all rivals. Whether you do this by colonising the stars, waging war on your enemies or marvelling all comers with your sophisticated culture is completely up to you.The latest instalment of the long running series continues the evolution of the ultimate strategy game. Starting with a single band of settlers at the dawn of man-kind the goal is to create the ultimate civilization to eclipse all rivals. Whether you do this by colonising the stars, waging war on your enemies or marvelling all comers with your sophisticated culture is completely up to you.

Forgoing the usual campaign mode Civilization instead allows players to create a world of their own devising and jump right into it either by themselves or with others in multiplayer. Customisation has always been key to the series and before each game players can choose the makeup of their world such as the balance of ocean to land or the scarcity of natural resources.

Continuing its turned based, rather than real time, gameplay this new edition does make a few changes from the previous instalment. For the first time it ditches the square based tiles and replaces them with hexagons allowing for more realistic terrain movement. The ability to stack multiple units on single tiles is also removed. This prevents the 'stack of dooms' seen in previous titles that made battles dull wars of attrition at later stages of the game.

As would be expected new technologies and units are also added to the mix and a few features, such as religion, have been removed although most impact positively on the gameplay. In the end whether you are successful or not the Civilization series has always been about creating your own stories and yet again it succeeds.
  33. Jun 12, 2013
    Civ V is a fantastic strategy game. This is my first foray into the series and I am very impressed. I've lost hours in its infinite replayability and addicting gameplay. Definitely one of the best Turn based Strategy games available.
  34. Jun 11, 2013
    Absolutely loved the game. I'm not a fan of Civ games, nor have I played any previous versions, but I really like this game. Don't listen to the other junkies talking about how they didn't like the game. Because I can tell you now that they have most given up after the first release of the game. Many DLC has been released, and the gold edition with ALL DLC is only ~90 bucks on steam,Absolutely loved the game. I'm not a fan of Civ games, nor have I played any previous versions, but I really like this game. Don't listen to the other junkies talking about how they didn't like the game. Because I can tell you now that they have most given up after the first release of the game. Many DLC has been released, and the gold edition with ALL DLC is only ~90 bucks on steam, saving you another 90 bucks. 100% worth it, and can't wait for the school holidays so I can smash it up. Expand
  35. Jun 8, 2013
    When published this game was still born, the WORST Civ game by far. It had bugs, LAG and constant crash to desktop. THE AI was stupid and the whole thing was just a mess of data that did not add up to a good game. Nearly three years later, and basically three years of WORK on improving the game and we can finally say this is indeed a GOOD game. Gods and Kings is NECESSARY, and all the DLCWhen published this game was still born, the WORST Civ game by far. It had bugs, LAG and constant crash to desktop. THE AI was stupid and the whole thing was just a mess of data that did not add up to a good game. Nearly three years later, and basically three years of WORK on improving the game and we can finally say this is indeed a GOOD game. Gods and Kings is NECESSARY, and all the DLC helps, but bundled together and on sale Civ 5 is finally the game it should have been at launch. Well done Firaxis! Cudos for a rare show of professional pride and persistence! A good game now, worthy of the Civilisation name. Not as good as Civ 4, but close. Expand
  36. Jun 4, 2013
    Many will notice that the "PC Gaming Master Race" has collectively turned up their nose at Civ V. Long gone are the stacks of death, replaced by the strategic combat system found in the Panzer General series. This is a HUGE upgrade to the series. Yes the hardcore fans will be alienated and while that's a shame this game is still as ridiculously addictive as its' predecessors and much moreMany will notice that the "PC Gaming Master Race" has collectively turned up their nose at Civ V. Long gone are the stacks of death, replaced by the strategic combat system found in the Panzer General series. This is a HUGE upgrade to the series. Yes the hardcore fans will be alienated and while that's a shame this game is still as ridiculously addictive as its' predecessors and much more user friendly. The micro-management isn't nearly as daunting, and while the AI at times borders on mentally handicapped (especially concerning Diplomacy) this game is a ridiculous time dump. Straategy PC gamers looking to get their feet wet need to get Civ V, and be prepared to be devoid of a social life. Expand
  37. Jun 3, 2013
    I hated the death stacks from the Civs of old and loved the actual ranged attacks from ranged units from Civ 4 mods so was really stoked for Civ 5. However, they vanilla game, not sure how patches have addressed it, game was never properly balanced around the changes. Late game it was common to see every single square on the map occupied by a unit. Unlike Civ 4 where you had toI hated the death stacks from the Civs of old and loved the actual ranged attacks from ranged units from Civ 4 mods so was really stoked for Civ 5. However, they vanilla game, not sure how patches have addressed it, game was never properly balanced around the changes. Late game it was common to see every single square on the map occupied by a unit. Unlike Civ 4 where you had to strategically select city sites, Civ 5 brings back ICS (Infinite City Sprawl) as the best strat. Essentially, it doesn't matter where you build a city, it's a net gain. That 1 square tundra island surround by useless water? Yes,build on everyone you find. Overall, Civ 5 is a mixed bag. Glad to see the hex system, ranged units, and death of death stacks but the overall tuning and balancing didn't keep pace with the changes. Expand
  38. May 1, 2013
    I never played the earlier versions of Civ but I got a good amount of enjoyment out of this one. The vanilla version became stale after a while (before Gods and Kings); I do have to admit that.

Even with that addition however there were still some very annoying/lacking aspects of gameplay. Luckily there is a decent modding community behind the game that ended up fixing a good amount of those issues for me.

The multiplayer is incredibly lacking- I could only stomach one game before giving up on it entirely.

Overall the vanilla version of the game seemed incomplete and lacking to me. I'm still not sure if I'll be getting the new DLC as my backlog is a bit deep but if you can get this game DLC on a steam sale I'd definitely give it a shot.
  39. Apr 26, 2013
    If you want to buy this game its about an 8 I think standalone but with Gods and Kings Id say its a 10 it fixes almost all its problems and I've played way more gods and kings than vanilla Civ 5.
  40. Apr 6, 2013
    Overall a great game, but after playing Civ II, III, and IV it seems lacking something. I do not like how there are random city states, and how it is centered on combat. Yes in Civ IV the micro-managing could get annoying, but I enjoyed it all the same.
  41. Apr 2, 2013
    This is game is pure strategy. If you're looking for a game like AoE or Warcraft, you probably need to look elsewhere, but if you like turn based games, you came to the right place.
    Everything in this game needs to be done patiently, and time is not a problem, so if you forget to do something, it's not the game's fault.
    One of the best features is the longevity. I can play two days in a
    One of the best features is the longevity. I can play two days in a single map. And the variety of units is amazing. The AI seems smart in higher levels of difficulty, but annoyingly dumb in easier modes. And visually it looks very nice!
    But the lack of options to "talk" to other civilizations (single player) and city states, is one of the things that takes 1 point from perfection. And the almost non existence of unique units from the various empires is something that makes gamers think twice before play it multiple times. Some variety would be much appreciated.
  42. Mar 23, 2013
    I'm a big fan of the Civ series but this one is the first civ game that bored me after only a couple of hours. Tons of dlc but no innovation, odd new combat mechanics (1 unit per hex but the maps are too small), a lot of missing features from the old games, less management,....

Feels like a "Civ Light" for newcomers to the genre
  43. Mar 23, 2013
    A very smooth, addictive and fun strategy game. The game is extremely well made and you can easily lose hours. You don't have to be a history buff to appreciate this, although it does add to the games charm.
  44. Mar 20, 2013
    I've played Civ for a long time the mid 90s. I really like the wai CiV have turned out unit stacking is gone, and i really love it. I would point out that many of the annoyances poited out in negative reviews were fixed with later patches and in the God and Kings expansion
  45. Mar 14, 2013
    It's good enough to almost make me forgets how much better Civ IV was.The AI still sucks. Diplomacy is impossible. The hex system, you can basically forget it's there. Its only purpose is to make the 1 unit-per-tile thing playable. The game-speeds basically boil down to unplayably fast (epic or faster) or mind-numbingly slow (marathon). Luckily though, they dumbed the game down so muchIt's good enough to almost make me forgets how much better Civ IV was.The AI still sucks. Diplomacy is impossible. The hex system, you can basically forget it's there. Its only purpose is to make the 1 unit-per-tile thing playable. The game-speeds basically boil down to unplayably fast (epic or faster) or mind-numbingly slow (marathon). Luckily though, they dumbed the game down so much that it can basically play itself while you're not at war so I just turn it to marathon and read a book while I play.. One thing they still haven't fixed with mods is the sound-track. it repeats a couple of stereotypical game tracks ad nauseum, but that's what ipods are for. Also its glitchy and the loading times are horrible. Without a bunch of mods it's not worth playing. I got it for 75% off though so I can't complain too much. Expand
  46. Mar 14, 2013
    This is the first game I've played in the Civ series, which is probably why I'm giving it an 8/10. Civ 5 does have faults, but they're not as nagging to me as they might be to a true Civ veteran. Diplomacy is broken, and has been through several patches (even G&K didn't fix it). Why is it that I can sell a luxury for 240 gold easily to someone else, but when I try to buy one of theirThis is the first game I've played in the Civ series, which is probably why I'm giving it an 8/10. Civ 5 does have faults, but they're not as nagging to me as they might be to a true Civ veteran. Diplomacy is broken, and has been through several patches (even G&K didn't fix it). Why is it that I can sell a luxury for 240 gold easily to someone else, but when I try to buy one of their surplus luxuries for 240, they woefully demand I give them half of my cities as well as 3 additional luxuries? Other than that oversight, the game is sleek and pretty in its design and gameplay. Civ personalities are more or less true to nature, and the random personalities option is ALWAYS a pleasure. I haven't played anything past difficulty 5, so I'm unsure of how stacked the odds are in your favor of winning through anything other than domination. I enjoy the game immensely on Prince difficulty as it seems the most balanced for my caliber. If you have an interest in turn-based strategy that isn't wholly polluted with infinitesimal management points, this is a wonderful game to start with. The large selection of civs, as well as cheap DLC, will keep you coming back for years to come (if it's true that Civ 6 isn't coming until Q4 2015). Can't wait for the next installment or DLC. Expand
  47. Mar 11, 2013
    My all time favorite turn based strategy game: I have over 700 hours logged on Steam and I still haven't tried all the features included. I totally love the new graphics, the soundtrack the voice acting, the Interface and most game mechanics. I have nothing but admiration for the bold move to go hexagonal without unit stacking: no more stacking 50 units on one tile. And while at first IMy all time favorite turn based strategy game: I have over 700 hours logged on Steam and I still haven't tried all the features included. I totally love the new graphics, the soundtrack the voice acting, the Interface and most game mechanics. I have nothing but admiration for the bold move to go hexagonal without unit stacking: no more stacking 50 units on one tile. And while at first I didn't like the lack of deep info screens, I now appreciate the absence of tedious micromanagement. Each game has a great flow from start to end. Volumes have been written on the strategy forums, that means it's still deep enough, right? I could go on and on lauding this game to infinity so I'll quit here. One bit of negative is the online multiplayer: me and some friends tried that a few times, but we just couldn't enjoy it. It's not entirely turn-based and sometimes the one that clicks faster will win the battle, meh. On the other hand, local hotseat is great fun if you choose to cooperate. (Make all local players part of the same team, then plot against AI teams. Feels like a boardgame... great!) Expand
  48. Mar 8, 2013
    If you haven't played another civilization game before and are looking to start I suggest you go out and buy Civ 4. Its significantly better than this one. I was amazed when I first saw the graphics of this game. They are beautiful and seamless. I also liked the idea of resource scarcity where an iron supply can allow you to build up to 5units. (For example) In Civ 4 once you have theIf you haven't played another civilization game before and are looking to start I suggest you go out and buy Civ 4. Its significantly better than this one. I was amazed when I first saw the graphics of this game. They are beautiful and seamless. I also liked the idea of resource scarcity where an iron supply can allow you to build up to 5units. (For example) In Civ 4 once you have the critical resource there is no incentive for you to get another one of it. You'd have to be stupid to trade it and so except for the shield bonus it goes to waste. I was unsettled by the move to hexagonal tiles and the no unit stacking. Also cities acting as their own (Flawed it turns out) defense. However I found all 3 changes tolerable and even enjoyable for a time. I like the move to range units however what unit is "ranged" seems kind of arbitrary. The fact that two units can attack each other for a few turns without utter destruction of one in a way compensates for the lack of "stack".

The main thing however that I cannot abide is the dumbed down gameplay. I only played 1 game on medium difficulty. Won with the top score. And uninstalled the game knowing I never want to do that again. There was no challenge to it. Worse it felt like the game was steering. To do modestly well I needed only to click whatever was flashing and do the suggested thing. Same with suggested buildings/units. It was the difference between strategizing and being the guy who says "I approve this message".

Due to the lack of stack it is quite easy to gang up on individual units making military conquest quite easy. Even when you are the supposed underdog. While I initially enjoyed the city states they quickly turned into an annoyance always demanding gold or new things to stay payed off and under my influence. I started wiping them out to build my empire and was glad I did. Even though it did mean they ganged up on me and all declared war. Nothing came of it. Just more cities for me. I found it was more efficient just to have the city then to be trying to bribe my way into their good graces.

When it came to technology I understand the move away from tech trading. Much kinder on isolated starts. But doing so removed 90% of diplomacy for me. The "research deals" which replaced them were a sad surrogate. As well sometimes a civic would make a research deal with you and then break it prematurely. Costing you both gold to no ones benefit. That is either spite or poor game design. All and all this game is beautiful. But being a strategy game stripped of any real strategy it is quite pointless. I wish they would re-release civ 4 with this level of graphics.
  49. Mar 8, 2013
    As a kid, I remember waiting for the original Civilization to come out. I don't know how many times I read the review and how much I waited. The actual experience was amazing. I've played every single Civ game since then, and I've always been a huge fan of the franchise. I feel the quality of it all, started to fall with civ4,
    and came to it's climax with Civ5. It's almost like a
    and came to it's climax with Civ5. It's almost like a derivative of the music industry. They make cool bands play crap songs, in order to sell more records.

Civ 5 was massively dumbed down, in order to reach a broader audience. As so many others have said,
    the lack of proper politics, tech trading and the likes, just makes this a very boring experience.

I am not going to mention the bugs in this review, but the game is full of them!
  50. Mar 7, 2013
    If this game was the first of a series I wouldn't rate it so low, but this is Civilization 5 not 1! The Civ series should be nearing perfection not becoming worse. Civ4 is a better game even without any of its expansions. I will break up the rest of my review into what Civ5 did better, different, and worse than Civ4.

The only part of Civ5 game play that I found better than Civ4 was that

The only part of Civ5 game play that I found better than Civ4 was that there is a limited quantity of strategic resources like iron.

Civ5 has some things that are different than Civ4. To me these things don't really make the game play better or worse, just different. City states, more ranged combat, hexes instead of squares, and updated graphics are examples.

Now the list of things Civ5 does worse: 1 unit per tile (this one has a lot of repercussions on the pacing of the game), global happiness, the AI, less flexibility in your economy due to the removal or research/culture sliders, less flexibility in your government due to policies that last eternity rather than civics, removal of the health system with nothing to take its place, and probably many more things I'm forgetting at the moment.
  51. Mar 5, 2013
    This is the first Civilization I've ever played, and I have so much fun with it. If you're not comparing it to any of the previous games, it's a great game. I do wish I could stack units like you apparently could in the old games, but on a Huge map, it isn't so much of an issue. Well worth the money spent.
  52. Mar 4, 2013
    My first experience with a series of "Civilization" I would rate positively. This is good and nice strategy game giving a lot of possibilities to create and lead their own civilization to victory. The game addictive well but end-game is boring
  53. Mar 2, 2013
    A great addition to the Civilization series. The new one unit per tile setting allows for great and strategic games. Diplomacy is a bit of a down point, thus no 10/10 game.
  54. Mar 1, 2013
    I have trouble reviewing this game, because I know it is a good game, but I don't like it. Civ V doesn't feel like Civilization, and Civilization is what I wanted.

If you're a fan of old-school tabletop wargames, definitely get in on this action. If you didn't like previous Civilization games, give this one a try it's completely different. If you liked the previous 4 Civilizations, which allowed you to build giant empires of carefully managed cities, spreading like locust across the land as you blazed through the tech tree and slammed out wonders to the beat of the bass, this is sadly not that at all.

Snail's pace expansion that's severely hampered mechanics even on the easiest levels keeps you from expanding like previous games. Barbarians constantly spawn encampments right on your borders, spewing endless units in to the mists anywhere you don't have it constantly under surveillance. City-States seize vital resources and moan to you about their neighbors constantly, while claiming protection from foreign powers you've barely even encountered yet. Restrictions on support numbers from given resources add realism, but again hamper the expansion and fun of the previous titles in the series. Everything seems focused on creating a series of tiny countries where the cities serve merely as focal points for the fighting, rather than being the actual focus of the game like before. The focus is on the combat, and the combat just isn't very engaging. Even on large worlds, space seems constrained, and you can't bring power to bear the way you can in earlier Civs.

I don't want this to sound like Civ V is a bad game it isn't. This is a good game for people who like the wargame/simulation genre. Heck, I'd probably even like it myself... if I wasn't looking for a Civilization title! Civilization was one of the first PC titles I ever really got in to, and its successors Civ 2, Alpha Centauri, Civ 3, and Civ 4 all held my attention for hundreds of hours. Civ V is not Civilization, and despite more than 50 hours and several attempts, I just can't enjoy it.
  55. Feb 13, 2013
    I have to say, when i first saw this game, I was very impressed with it. The atmosphere, the choices, the models, all of it. However, as I played more than just a few games, Civ 5 's many shortcomings became apparent to me. The absolutely horrendous AI, for example, renders diplomacy useless. It is impossible to trade with any AI, because they will not accept any reasonable offer. Instead,I have to say, when i first saw this game, I was very impressed with it. The atmosphere, the choices, the models, all of it. However, as I played more than just a few games, Civ 5 's many shortcomings became apparent to me. The absolutely horrendous AI, for example, renders diplomacy useless. It is impossible to trade with any AI, because they will not accept any reasonable offer. Instead, they will demand everything you own for a scraps of iron or horse. Plus, the unpredictable way in which AIs act makes it impossible to make plans that relies on AIs. Random civs denounce me for no reason, or acts aggressive despite have an army a tenth of mine. The gameplay is also very shallow. The tile improvements look good at first, but eventually one realises that the only way to win is to spam build trade posts and farms. Every time. The combat is the same. There is no hint of infrastructure or anything, and the combat animations are repetitive and breaks one's immersion by being very cartoonish. Overall, I disliked this game mostly because of the absolutely horrendous AI. After all, it is no fun building an empire if everyone around you is acting like a dumbass. Expand
  56. Feb 12, 2013
    This is an excellent game that you can spend many hours playing. I can also leave this game for a few months and come right back and have no issues with with remembering how to do things because it is very user friendly. That said, I think it is somewhat like Civilization for dummies compared to Civ 4 because of its simplification, but it is still very good. Graphics and game-play are great.
  57. Feb 7, 2013
    this is one of the best games that I have ever played, I find it easy and fast to understand, fun to play and the IA is just epic. I recommend it to everyone
  58. Feb 3, 2013
    I've been playing this franchise since Civ III Vanilla came out. It took a little while for me to get used to Civ V because I was used to the way things worked in past games. Managing your happiness, gold, culture, and science is no longer as simple as adjusting a slider. You have to have a plan for each of your cities or your goals won't be realized, especially on higher difficultyI've been playing this franchise since Civ III Vanilla came out. It took a little while for me to get used to Civ V because I was used to the way things worked in past games. Managing your happiness, gold, culture, and science is no longer as simple as adjusting a slider. You have to have a plan for each of your cities or your goals won't be realized, especially on higher difficulty settings. I don't like it as much as I liked Civ IV, but I haven't gone back to Civ IV either. The G&K expansion adds some nice touches with religion and espionage. Plus a whole lot of new Civilizations. Civilization still sets the bar for strategy games. Expand
  59. Jan 17, 2013
    É um clássico! Todos os jogos dessa franquia de 1991 são ótimos.
    Civilization V não fica atrás e realmente vale a pena, dá pra ficar horas direto.
    É um clássico! Todos os jogos dessa franquia de 1991 são ótimos.
    Pra quem nunca jogou nenhum deles, vale a pena deixar pra comprar a expansão Gods & Kings depois, mas pra quem já está familiarizado com a série, sugiro nem jogar antes de comprar a expansão.

É uma parte importante do jogo que não deveria vir em um DLC, mas no pacote principal, já que não é uma adesão apenas de recursos e não de conteúdo. Espionagem e Religião, Profetas, Missionários, Inquisidores, manipulação de eleições e roubo de tecnologia são algumas novidades de Gods & Kings.
  60. Jan 13, 2013
    I enjoy strategy games but this game is unbearable to play. It is SO slow moving and boring. A single game will take you 20 some hours to play even on the quickest time setting. There is a multi-player option which is pointless because you will never finish a game. If you want to play on a tiny/small map with the quickest time setting you may finish some games but what is the fun in that?I enjoy strategy games but this game is unbearable to play. It is SO slow moving and boring. A single game will take you 20 some hours to play even on the quickest time setting. There is a multi-player option which is pointless because you will never finish a game. If you want to play on a tiny/small map with the quickest time setting you may finish some games but what is the fun in that?

The game does everything to slow you down it seems. The movement restrictions are ridiculous, hills/forest/marshes are everywhere and waaaay overloaded simply to slow you down. When it comes to actual gameplay it is your average typical strategy game and you will be able to get way ahead of the computer barring the hardest difficulties.

If you want a strategy game play Crusader Kings 2, this game is a dumbed down pour excuse for a game with their length making it seem hard and deep. There are no special diplomatic mechanics with the game and the units are very bland to choose from. Even if you spend hours to get your research up you will be disappointed.

There is also not much difference in leaders which is lame. Each leader gets a bonus and some are clearly better than others which limits who you will play as right away. Some of the special units or building are helpful but hardly make a huge difference on the overall game.
  61. Jan 4, 2013
    This Civ V brings lower depth to the series but with it's new Workshop players are able to create a new experience with mods. With the new Workshop people are able to get a mod that creates more depth to an equal level with Civ IV such as this http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=77097295&searchtext=Nights
  62. Jan 3, 2013
    Perfect instalment for Civ. Cities have been simplified to some degree, making specialized cities isn't quite as crucial as it was in Civ4 due to the fact that most national wonders aren't % increases. All the economy is a bit more steamlined. Combat is infinitely better then Civ 4 which is where Civ 5 really shines. No more stack of doom mass seige garbage. You need a good plan whenPerfect instalment for Civ. Cities have been simplified to some degree, making specialized cities isn't quite as crucial as it was in Civ4 due to the fact that most national wonders aren't % increases. All the economy is a bit more steamlined. Combat is infinitely better then Civ 4 which is where Civ 5 really shines. No more stack of doom mass seige garbage. You need a good plan when warring and you really need to take terrain into account. Passing through a choke point will favor ranged units, wide open flat terrain will favor melee and cavalry. Great game. Expand
  63. Jan 3, 2013
    I've played civilization since Civ 2 was out and I really love the series. As always, there are a large number of changes from the last installment, but it still retains the basic feel of civilization. There are things I feel are improvements over the last installment, and things I do not feel are better, but for the most part I see the differences as positive. I would have given it aI've played civilization since Civ 2 was out and I really love the series. As always, there are a large number of changes from the last installment, but it still retains the basic feel of civilization. There are things I feel are improvements over the last installment, and things I do not feel are better, but for the most part I see the differences as positive. I would have given it a rating of 10, but there are some stability issues that cause frequent crashes. Update all drivers and run DXDIAG before playing, and even then, save often. Expand
  64. Dec 30, 2012
    By far, the best of the Civilization games. It doesn't havee the messy combat system from Civ IV, it doesn't have units moving half-way accross the map in one turn and it has cities that defend themselves! Finally! 2 units fighting means both taking damage, not one living and the other being relatively unharmed! It has city-states, a notable improvement. Air combat has greatly improved andBy far, the best of the Civilization games. It doesn't havee the messy combat system from Civ IV, it doesn't have units moving half-way accross the map in one turn and it has cities that defend themselves! Finally! 2 units fighting means both taking damage, not one living and the other being relatively unharmed! It has city-states, a notable improvement. Air combat has greatly improved and now embarking maks naval assaults possible! Expand
  65. Dec 29, 2012
    The game is plays well enough, looks nice and has great peripheral qualities. However it ultimately feels like a step back from CIV 4. Many of the intriguing elements of the previous installment are missing here. There is less resources, less improvements, no religion and your limited to one unit per tile. The global happiness mechanic doesn't perform as intended. The civ-specificThe game is plays well enough, looks nice and has great peripheral qualities. However it ultimately feels like a step back from CIV 4. Many of the intriguing elements of the previous installment are missing here. There is less resources, less improvements, no religion and your limited to one unit per tile. The global happiness mechanic doesn't perform as intended. The civ-specific abilities are extremely unbalanced. City states are more a nuisance than anything else and are out of place in a 4X game. Expand
  66. Dec 24, 2012
    Love this game! Played it quite a bit when it was first released but was only ever average at it. Have revisited this game over the last few months, and read up a bit on tips & tricks and with the new patch this game is pretty much perfect. LOVE the music score. Really cant fault the game at all. Bring on Civ VI is all I can say.
  67. Dec 23, 2012
    Signed up to metacritic purely to not recommend this game. Buy Civ4 which is superior in almost all aspects. They've taken all of the depth out of city building, empire maintenance, diplomacy, subterfuge, trade... the list goes on. The only improvement is the new combat system, but they didn't match that with an AI that could utilise it. Such a disappointment - glad I got it on the steamSigned up to metacritic purely to not recommend this game. Buy Civ4 which is superior in almost all aspects. They've taken all of the depth out of city building, empire maintenance, diplomacy, subterfuge, trade... the list goes on. The only improvement is the new combat system, but they didn't match that with an AI that could utilise it. Such a disappointment - glad I got it on the steam sale, otherwise I'd be furious.... Expand
  68. Dec 19, 2012
    Civilization itself is a work of improved its grand chapter. Here is the incursion of new technologies, counselors, and draw some possibilities of Chapter IV, which are mostly of military strategies (where one can no longer join several troops in the same area), and that the areas do not expand automatically only, here you have to buy 'lots' to expand the boundaries. Among all recentCivilization itself is a work of improved its grand chapter. Here is the incursion of new technologies, counselors, and draw some possibilities of Chapter IV, which are mostly of military strategies (where one can no longer join several troops in the same area), and that the areas do not expand automatically only, here you have to buy 'lots' to expand the boundaries. Among all recent strategy games, Civilization V is by far the best. Expand
  69. Dec 16, 2012
    Since i was 6 i've been playing Civilzation and Civilization V is the best and easiest for me to use (so far). It may be because i was younger and not able to fully understand the keyboard a few years ago but i find Civilization V easy to control and i really enjoy playing it.
  70. Dec 16, 2012
    My first time playing the civilization series and I got hooked on it. It is much fun and challenging - right when you think you just might have peace with your neighbor civs they attack you from all sides. A really fun game to play.
  71. Dec 6, 2012
    i have to say the best one yet, have played it for over 300h since release. AI plays great, the hex grid and no troop stacking......... = all great moves to make it more strategic and challenging.
  72. Dec 1, 2012
    Want to know how boring this game is. Type the word boring over and over again for ten hours straight. Do that, and you'll be starting to get a notion of how boring this game is.

The game is very pretty, and there are some nice tweaks. But,I don't play a game to just look at pretty pictures. I play it, and I bet most other folks do as well, for the challenge. Where CIV IV had one of the best AI 's I've ever seen CIV V has a zombified AI. The computer run civ's are in desperate need of BRAINS! They aren't out to conquer the world, or even knock off your particular civilization. Instead they're largely content to let you slowly fossilize or conqure the world yourself. Conquering the world is actually the easiest way to win this game...yeah, go figure. Partly though, that because you can get started early and get the pain over with sooner. IF you have the patience, you could go for the space race victory. But, if you have that kind of patience, you should be able to hold off on buying this waste of computer memory of a game and spend your time finding something worth your time and money.
  73. Nov 29, 2012
    TOP Game! Absolut super! Jedes Civ hatte seine Vor- und Nachteile, aber Civ V ist das, ich sag mal, abgerundeste! Es macht super Spaß, schicke Grafik und es macht immer wieder mal Spaß seine Zivilisation aufzubauen! :-) Bin nach wie vor begeistert!
  74. Nov 29, 2012
    After the release of Gods and Kings, Civ V has become one of the best turned-based strategy games of all time. Don't listen to the Civ III and IV fans who complained about this game earlier. It's a fantastic game. The only cons of this game as of the latest update is that this game requires a high powered pc to play on higher settings, and the game is almost too addicting! ;) ***ALSO, IFAfter the release of Gods and Kings, Civ V has become one of the best turned-based strategy games of all time. Don't listen to the Civ III and IV fans who complained about this game earlier. It's a fantastic game. The only cons of this game as of the latest update is that this game requires a high powered pc to play on higher settings, and the game is almost too addicting! ;) ***ALSO, IF YOU GAVE THIS GAME A 0, YOU ARE AN IDIOT, PERIOD. UNLESS THE GAME ABSOLUTELY DIDN'T WORK, A ZERO IS NOT WARRANTED. METACRITIC NEEDS TO REMOVE THE ABILITY TO GIVE ZEROS TO KEEP IMMATURE CHILDREN FROM RUINING THE INTEGRITY OF USER REVIEW SCORES.*** Expand
  75. Nov 23, 2012
    I can't recommend this Civ game. In the franchise, great steps were made to separate this from previous games with new concepts from hex, unit stacking, graphics, social policies, and city states. These succeed in creating new challenges for the player and add to the military strategy game. However, what the game does not deliver is an adaquate AI that fails at even the simplest of tasks.I can't recommend this Civ game. In the franchise, great steps were made to separate this from previous games with new concepts from hex, unit stacking, graphics, social policies, and city states. These succeed in creating new challenges for the player and add to the military strategy game. However, what the game does not deliver is an adaquate AI that fails at even the simplest of tasks. For example, an automated worker in an unhappy, fledgling empire at game start will not attempt build immediately on resource one tile from the capitol to connect it. Increasing difficulty beyond King (L6) doesn't incorporate new AI routines, it simply handicaps the player by huge bonuses for production, happiness, science, and gold output for all AI players. I have over 200 hours into this Civ with another 500+ for Civ4 and another 500+ hours for every Civ incarnation before it. Even if purchased on a Steam sale, it doesn't overcome the disappointment at the lack of re-playability compared to previous Civs. The game can be fun at times, but those moments of enjoyment are too rare. Like a tribal hut, you get the immediate sense of reward and that is about as good as it gets as the game goes back to tedium of micro-management to overcome a weak AI. Expand
  76. Nov 20, 2012
    It's a good game, but just not nearly what Civ IV was (or Civ III for that matter). I've been playing Civ since the original was released many years ago, and have never been disappointed by anything the series has ever done. But once I played Civ V I became worried about the future of this series. Civ V has been dumbed down significantly from it's predecessors. It's a sad change.
  77. Nov 17, 2012
    Most of the time it feels like a dumbed down version of Civ 4. No religion, no public health and diplomacy options have been badly pruned, providing a most straightforward gameplay, if well lacking many features. On the good side, the hex tile is well implemented and, combined with the inability to stack units, renders most of the old "square tile" tactics useless, which is a good thing,Most of the time it feels like a dumbed down version of Civ 4. No religion, no public health and diplomacy options have been badly pruned, providing a most straightforward gameplay, if well lacking many features. On the good side, the hex tile is well implemented and, combined with the inability to stack units, renders most of the old "square tile" tactics useless, which is a good thing, since it encourages tactical thinking instead of just sending the infamous "Stacks of Doom" and watching things burn. The graphics look awesome, yeah, but I would have sacrificed the eye candy for some gameplay depth. In a nutshell: If you liked Civ4, odds are you won't like this. Expand
  78. Nov 14, 2012
    Pretty disappointing: at release time, it felt like some of the features might not be finished, and the game overall felt pretty stripped down. I could tell this was not developed by someone who had a particular passion for the series, and who got caught up in shaking things up, forgetting to maintain some of that good complexity we had in Civ 4. The new, more tactical, combat was anPretty disappointing: at release time, it felt like some of the features might not be finished, and the game overall felt pretty stripped down. I could tell this was not developed by someone who had a particular passion for the series, and who got caught up in shaking things up, forgetting to maintain some of that good complexity we had in Civ 4. The new, more tactical, combat was an interesting idea...too bad the AI couldn't figure it out. I miss the old city management of Civ 4...it feels more bland and I feel like I have less control. Also, cities feel far more static than they use to: border expansion feels slower and is much less noticeable. Let's hope they can do a better job for the next iteration...I'll stick to Civ 4 until then. Expand
  79. Nov 12, 2012
    This review was a long time coming. I basically have 3 different reviews based on performance. When I first bought the game, I had technical issues with game performance. I couldn't get DX11 to work and the game played like a 15 year old game on my fairly new desktop. The game was simply unplayable. When the game does work, it's one of the most complex and entertaining games I haveThis review was a long time coming. I basically have 3 different reviews based on performance. When I first bought the game, I had technical issues with game performance. I couldn't get DX11 to work and the game played like a 15 year old game on my fairly new desktop. The game was simply unplayable. When the game does work, it's one of the most complex and entertaining games I have ever played. Absolutely outstanding. Very deep and has almost endless replay value. The DLC is abundant and still likely to see some new releases in the future. The game on Steam also has a great modding community. Makes it easy to try out other people's creations. All of the extras are just gravy as the base game is the best strategy game of its kind in the world. Civ V will probably hold this title until Civ 6 comes out in half a decade or so. Expand
  80. Oct 30, 2012
    I don't know where to start. I grew up with civ, it was the very first game I played when i was a kid. It had, as most of the products in that time, an aura of legend around it. I learned history from civ. All of a sudden, I wanted to know who exactly was Shaka of the Zulus. My mind expanded imagining alternate histories. When you played civ, you got smarter. Yes of course it had problems,I don't know where to start. I grew up with civ, it was the very first game I played when i was a kid. It had, as most of the products in that time, an aura of legend around it. I learned history from civ. All of a sudden, I wanted to know who exactly was Shaka of the Zulus. My mind expanded imagining alternate histories. When you played civ, you got smarter. Yes of course it had problems, it was just a game after all. But one of those games you would forgive anything, simply because it has something magical around it. Civ 4 is, as many have pointed out here as well, the pinnacle of the series. Again, of course it had aspects which could have been improved, and btw the Civ series was NEVER the hardest, toughest or most complicated strategy game out there. Try playing the Europa Universalis or Hearts of Iron series, or many others, and you'll see what I mean. Civ has always been a coulourful, entertaining gem, a perfect mix of micro and macro managing, even though the AI was never any good, and some mechanics were certainly improvable. Now we have this..I don't even know how to define it. So, Dear Sid, all of a sudden, after 20 years of pure genius, you decided that people saying "oh no, I have to actually research a tech that will allow me to build transport ships and THEN I must load my units on them?? BOORING" were the ones to listen, while those that made it possible for you to be in business today, those that bought and supported your products in a time when even owning a PC was something (I don't live in the US by the way), were to be insulted in this way. For the respect I still have towards your past wonders, I'll just stop it here, because you know what I'm talking about, the negative comments are really not necessary. You, above everyone else in this world, know perfectly well what has happened to the Civ franchise.

I firmly believe a compromise between complexity/Traditional civ (for the old fans) and simplicity/moar money (from sales/ influx of newcomers) would have been perfectly doable, and it would have been accepted by everyone.
    To screw up a game like civ in this way is totally unbelievable.

So bottom line, sure there is nostalgia involved, but I tried to give a balanced judgement. Civ 5 is a shallow, unintersting, boring game. Graphics are only marginally better than civ4, and who cares about "amazing" graphics anyway (in a turn based strategy game). It seems to be riddled with bugs. Gameplay choices are reduced to a minimum, illogical and outright broken mecahisms are everywhere. And, of course, it's a game for 12 years old kids. On top of this, since it's a successor to a great series (and because it's called CIV FIVE), old fans will inevitably compare it to the previous titles. And this is not good. You know it, I know it, everyone that should knows it. The ones that don't, probably have no idea who Sun Tzu was or where the hell is Costantinople, and are wondering why they can't headshot Montezuma, so why bother. You just want their money.
    Right?

ps I just hope you are spending more money to buy these "The best Civ ever!!!" reviews (LOL) than what you made by selling the game. Maybe when you'll realise that alienating what were probably among the most loyal videogamers in history (civ fans) was a bad marketing decision, you'll see your error. But it will be too late

Quoque tu, Sid
  81. Oct 27, 2012
    Well this game brought some genuine graphics and UI design. But it did not succeed in many areas. The AI is way too aggressive and at higher levels you often end up being declared war by 5 out of 7 AI opponents. What a frustrating experience. Also everything is taking still very long, you cant complete game in decent number of hours, it will be like 5 or more hours to win. I think it'sWell this game brought some genuine graphics and UI design. But it did not succeed in many areas. The AI is way too aggressive and at higher levels you often end up being declared war by 5 out of 7 AI opponents. What a frustrating experience. Also everything is taking still very long, you cant complete game in decent number of hours, it will be like 5 or more hours to win. I think it's possible today to make it faster and save you from all the tedious activities, deciding what to build on every single hex in every single turn. You should be able to set your typical path through the tech and build trees and reuse those. The final spoiler is, that anything you do, you will end up in war. Even if you try to be polite and nice, there is no peace alternative in real game, it is only theoretical. I managed to win peacefully once from like 30 attempts and it was by mere luck anyway. So this game does copy typical american colonial consumeristic philosophy - expand, fight, kill and consume. More means always better. What a disappointment. Expand
  82. Oct 16, 2012
    I've been a Civ addict since the first version, and I was excited when I heard this was coming out. Unfortunately, it's probably the worst game to ever bear the name. I don't know what was going on in the studio when it was being developed, but the result looks as if nobody involved had ever designed a strategy game before. They had some interesting ideas but they failed to implementI've been a Civ addict since the first version, and I was excited when I heard this was coming out. Unfortunately, it's probably the worst game to ever bear the name. I don't know what was going on in the studio when it was being developed, but the result looks as if nobody involved had ever designed a strategy game before. They had some interesting ideas but they failed to implement them. I don't like to post bad reviews, but I think they earned this one. It's pretty much the "strategy game for people who don't like strategy games". Superficial, clumsy design, bad AI (even worse than usual), it might be an interesting failure from a new studio, but it loses a couple of points due to the pedigree. Expand
  83. Sep 14, 2012
    The hex system is a massive improvement for the Civ franchise, it's just a shame the game was riddled with balance issues for the better part of a year after its initial release. Certain wonders were necessitated for victory, certain Civ's were necessary for particular wins (cultural, etc), but fortunately most balance issues have been resolved. The achilles heal of the game is theThe hex system is a massive improvement for the Civ franchise, it's just a shame the game was riddled with balance issues for the better part of a year after its initial release. Certain wonders were necessitated for victory, certain Civ's were necessary for particular wins (cultural, etc), but fortunately most balance issues have been resolved. The achilles heal of the game is the atrocious AI and the pseudo difficulty setting which is more accurately defined as a "handicap" system. Expand
  84. Aug 18, 2012
    I have been playing civ since the first one came out. I bought civ5 from a store and you cant even play the game if ya dont have internet to activate. Which is stupid. To cap it off you had to sit there and download yet another aplication to activate it. Why did the game designers not have this other ap on the disc? poor design ? Then after i fianlly got the game activated I was so veryI have been playing civ since the first one came out. I bought civ5 from a store and you cant even play the game if ya dont have internet to activate. Which is stupid. To cap it off you had to sit there and download yet another aplication to activate it. Why did the game designers not have this other ap on the disc? poor design ? Then after i fianlly got the game activated I was so very disapointed in the game. Less options than other versions. time between turns is stupid long. Load times take for ever and i have 4gigs of ram dual core. I would feel sorry for anyone trying to play this game on some older model computer. The only thing i actually liked about civ5 is razing cities. Unless they were former capitols or those city states which could not be razed. They also got rid of the stupid public works which was a nice change.liked the new culture thing. Things i hated were not able to raze capitols and city states. Not able to pass or do anything with mountains,
    No mags to move troops faster. Could not terriform. Stupid other nations would not even trade resources i had to go over an just take the resources from them.
    Could not activate till i went to a place with internet.
    Had to down load another stupid program to activate. the scenario editor dont work. When Civ VI comes out i hope it will actually be an improvement all the options of the old civs.
  85. Aug 6, 2012
    4+/5 (Very Good)

If you enjoy playing games like RISK, where a game can take DAYS to finish, CIV5 is for you.

The best part? I don't actually care about winning in CIV5, it's how you get to the end that is fun and somehow hugely satisfying. (even if you lose)

I don't even finish all of my games and still feel good about them!
  86. Aug 6, 2012
    In the past few years there has been a theme of streamlining strategy games. With new technologies the perception is that people lack the patience they once had. Civilization V makes an attempt to streamline the game compared to past games in the series. Unfortunately, Civilization V goes too far. Let's start off with the good. First of all I like the hexagonal tiles better than the usualIn the past few years there has been a theme of streamlining strategy games. With new technologies the perception is that people lack the patience they once had. Civilization V makes an attempt to streamline the game compared to past games in the series. Unfortunately, Civilization V goes too far. Let's start off with the good. First of all I like the hexagonal tiles better than the usual square ones. I think it makes the map look much better. The graphics are better in Civilization V, which you would expect. I like how accessible mods are in this game. It is much easier to use mods than past installments in the series. Now, the bad. The one unit per tile was a nice try, but it simply doesn't work. What should have been done is a Victoria II style supply limit system, where each tile could support a certain number of units. You could put as many units as you want on the tile, but there would be significant combat penalties for going over the limit. One unit per tile makes wars something you dread, as opposed to something you enjoyed in Civ IV. The diplomatic system is still messed up even two years after release. The AI leaders are inconsistent and change their minds quickly. The game got rid of religion which makes it less interesting. Finally, I'll explain my review score. Automatically, the game receives a four point deduction for not improving on its predecessor, the receives a 3 point deduction for OK gameplay. Expand
  87. Aug 3, 2012
    This is my first time playing a civilization game since I played Civ 3 as a kid, although I play RTS games often. At first glance, Civ V is great - it has spectacular graphics, and a great soundtrack. The social policies system and the Science system are interesting and seem well thought out. But underneath the surface, Civ V doesn't quite live up to the hype. The game is a buggy mess -This is my first time playing a civilization game since I played Civ 3 as a kid, although I play RTS games often. At first glance, Civ V is great - it has spectacular graphics, and a great soundtrack. The social policies system and the Science system are interesting and seem well thought out. But underneath the surface, Civ V doesn't quite live up to the hype. The game is a buggy mess - often times, I won't be able to click the Next Turn button, for example, because it says "A Unit Needs Orders" when I have given all of my units orders. This is after installing all available patches, two years after the game's initial release! The combat in Civ V involves very little strategy - as long as your units aren't hard-countered by the enemy's (this is VERY easy to figure out) all that matters is who has the largest military. Civ V's strategy lies entirely in what order the player researches technologies, adapts policies, chooses to produce, etc. and has little to nothing to do with combat - reading Sun Tzu's The Art of War won't help you here. Capturing a city takes at least three turns, even if your opponent has no military and you have several strong units attacking the city. Multiplayer support is horrible, with people constantly disconnecting and crashing while I'm either in the lobby trying to get a game together, or already playing one. There is no way to change game settings once you click the "Host Game" button and open your lobby. To do so you have to kick everyone out and start a new game. This is ridiculous, strategy games from a decade ago have the ability to change settings while in the lobby. Diplomacy with AIs is impossible - even a long-time ally, who I've had multiple trade deals and research agreements with, who is far weaker than me, will declare war on me for no reason... twice! The only indication I had (which was quite obvious) was that the AI stationed its military units close to my territory for several turns before attacking. Nothing on the diplomacy screens hinted that the AI disliked me. However, the AIs have supposedly been improved in the Gods & Kings expansion... I'll see if there's any truth to that.

I have to give Civilization V a 5/10 because it's fun to play, and it seems like some effort was put into its creation. From what I've been told by longtime fans of the series going back to Civ 3 or 4, Civ V is prettier, but a step backwards where gameplay is concerned. The exclusion of key gameplay features from earlier Civ games, such as espionage and religion, was clearly a cash grab for Firaxis, now that they are charging $30 for an expansion to add these feature to Civ V. I'm sick of developers churning out pretty games that have worse gameplay than their predecesors. Civ V is a prime example of this, therefore I really can't kiss Firaxis' ass and give them a positive review.
  88. Aug 3, 2012
    pro: the exagon strategy system
    cons: no religion, no espionage, empire limitation system, the cost of the road system, console-enterface of city management
  89. Aug 1, 2012
    Civilization V, the ultimate time waster. A very solid game, especially since the patches and expansion for a night kickin back with friends and having a few beers. A long night at that. For both long time and newcoming players of the Civilization series, you'll feel right at home here. A lot of reviews on here complain about the "lack of depth" in the game, but they act as though itCivilization V, the ultimate time waster. A very solid game, especially since the patches and expansion for a night kickin back with friends and having a few beers. A long night at that. For both long time and newcoming players of the Civilization series, you'll feel right at home here. A lot of reviews on here complain about the "lack of depth" in the game, but they act as though it is no longer difficult or deep because of the removal of a few features (many of which are now available in DLC's), but I personally think that they improvements they made over the previous games allow for more tactical depth than ever. Gone are the days of stacking so many units that you could ceaselessly barrage a city until it falls to its knees. Now, you really have to plan carefully and prepare for a siege, as you should. I had tremendous fun figuring out and mastering the combat system. Everything from where to place the catapults so as to be useful, but not too vulnerable as well as who are the front line marines sent in essentially to do little damage on a suicide mission before you bring in the big guns. The gameplay is fluid, and in multiplayer the combat is intense once air units are introduced as you scramble to intercept air units headed for your beloved cities. Early game, building wonders and researching technology can take FOREVER. But what a lot of people here seem to overlook is the realism that goes along with that. Fact is, it did take forever to build The Great Wall, Hanging Gardens, etc. And once nations began becoming industrialized, things really sped up. This holds true in the Civilization series. By the time I hit the industrial era, I was completing wonders in 3-4 turns, builds in 1-2, and every unit in 1. BUT, if you play your cards wrong, you could end up developing no research a turn, or with your production at or near a standstill. Every decision you make seems to have greater implications in Civ V than the previous, as there are less to make which ends up making you really have to weigh your options much more. I'd argue that the game has more depth in that each decision you make is absolutely crucial, whereas in Civ IV I found myself able to let a lot more go with much less staring at that screen while others wait for you to hit that next turn button.

There's a lot of very negative reviews out there with scores of 0-5, and to you I say... Really? The programming, design and execution of the game is excellent. A lot of people here discuss Civ like it's some sort of sacred thing. It's a board game in virtual form people, they have to make changes if they want to progress. Stop acting as though the series holds any sort of loyalty towards you. I personally see video games as art, and like good art, the artist does what they think is best. If you have a better idea, get involved in the process yourself. If not, at LEAST give constructive criticism, not this "this game is a waste of money, total piece of **** It's not like the old one." Just makes you look like a douche, as this game was obviously meticulously crafted from the ground up by the developers. If you think Civ IV is the perfect game, then keep playing that. As for myself, I honestly cannot think of a better turn based strategy game out there. Total War: Shogun 2 was fun, but the limitation of 2 players per campaign has really limited myself from playing it as on my weekend off I like to LAN with 3-4 friends, bbq, and play some strategy games. I have always seen games like this as a highly social thing, like board games. This crushes any turn based strategy or board game in terms of replayability.

I just don't understand why people refer to it being more of a casual game. Aren't all games casual? Cause I feel the term is being used very loosely. Cookin Mama and CoD is casual, and no CoD kiddie would even make it halfway through a game of Civ without throwing a bored tantrum from lack of headshots. Just because Civ allows more of a social experience is not a bad thing, as it IS just a board game video game essentially. We already have RPG's for that antisocial desire in us. I think between Fallout, Dragon Age, Dark Souls, Elder Scrolls, The Witcher, Disciples, etc. I have had my fill of sitting in a room by myself. Being an IT guy, that is my job pretty much, so on weekends I like to get together with fellow nerds and game hard for those few days off. And this game is perfect for that when you don't feel like dealing with the clenched shoulder intensity of a SCII or LoL game.
  90. Jul 29, 2012
    Boring game, nice but boring. Same thing than Civilization 3 (the only other one I played): play a couple of games when you're really bored then put back in its box where it belongs.
    Couple of things that annoyed me:
    - no real information accessible (like: how many happiness this town is generating ? from what ?) so you never know what to do when you capture a new city - stupid, dumb,
    Couple of things that annoyed me:
    - stupid, dumb, irrational AI ever: I am at war with some Civ, we make peace, another Civ crushes them, I liberate them, they're on guard towards me (despite the liberation..) then 20 rounds later, when they spawn one pikeman, they decide its a good thing to declare war on me (with my numerous tanks and foreign legion, good going AI!)
    - advisors interface completely designed by indian staff (yes offense): like 10 pages saying the same thing about which city is best to develop military units (instead of putting it on one page...)
    - talking about the advisors: they're high, and I mean real high: I am at war with a more powerful CIV (at least I guess in term of number of units) and Im kicking their asses (like 13 victories on 15 battles -> resulting in destruction of enemy units) and still the military advisor tells me the war is going bad.
    - nasty scrolling bug when you click on next turn: if you go on some side of the screen, it will scroll forever until the end of opponent actions
    - automatic selection of unit horrible: like you manually select an unit at some critical place in the game (like a big fight), it will then go somewhere else completely (despite the fact you actually shown interest for THIS specific place), ok maybe there was a setting for that, I didnt look for it.
    - there is no automatic focus on enemy / ally movement sometimes so you might miss what is happening (not when it involves you - thanks god)

If you want the rolls of management game, try Anno series, if you want the rolls of Turn based strategy / fighting game (well the fighting is more deep so it might not be the best choice for you), try Total War series...
  91. Jul 22, 2012
    Having never played a Civilization game before this, I was pretty pleased with this game. I can't compare it to Civ 4 like others, but what I got was a varied turn-based strategy game that was a lot of fun. I agree with others that the city-state mechanic is awful - they often just act as a frustrating buffer between you and enemies. However, they can be removed. The game was prettyHaving never played a Civilization game before this, I was pretty pleased with this game. I can't compare it to Civ 4 like others, but what I got was a varied turn-based strategy game that was a lot of fun. I agree with others that the city-state mechanic is awful - they often just act as a frustrating buffer between you and enemies. However, they can be removed. The game was pretty enjoyable and provides a lot of play time for your money. It must be said that the steamworks modding system is really good and some of the mods are useful and others change the game enough to keep it interesting. Expand
  92. Jul 7, 2012
    I hate this game, but not for the same reasons as the others. I review this as someone wjo barely played any Civilizations, and I sure wish I didn't play this one. Huge fundamental flaws- you start a civ, you explore a bit and discover that other civs are way too close, and you can barely explore anymore. At the same time you're builing other cities and working the land. And you part onI hate this game, but not for the same reasons as the others. I review this as someone wjo barely played any Civilizations, and I sure wish I didn't play this one. Huge fundamental flaws- you start a civ, you explore a bit and discover that other civs are way too close, and you can barely explore anymore. At the same time you're builing other cities and working the land. And you part on the map becomes a convoluted mess, and every action is a complete chore. And then other civs start complaining constantly. I know some people are very good at the game and they can handle all that, but I would like to have some fun added to the games I play. Expand
  93. Jun 26, 2012
    I've been an RTS fan since the 90's with C&C:red alert so of course for the last few years i've know about civilization. I've always known i should have played it but never did. On a whim i tried out a demo and i bought the game that night. This is the most dauntly complex game i may have ever played. Its the thrill and variation of Risk with all the complexities of raising a nation fromI've been an RTS fan since the 90's with C&C:red alert so of course for the last few years i've know about civilization. I've always known i should have played it but never did. On a whim i tried out a demo and i bought the game that night. This is the most dauntly complex game i may have ever played. Its the thrill and variation of Risk with all the complexities of raising a nation from scratch. This game is so fun and addicting on it's own that they didnt even need to do anything but give you one game type, "play game" haha. I havent been this hooked to a game since WOW like 5 years ago. Expand
  94. Jun 26, 2012
    I would rate CIV as mediocre i think what they are trying to do with the series is good, but losing religion (now in a DLC) and stacking makes the game tedious towards the end - so many units not enough space. Not having stacking is a real issue when attacking a city that is only accessible by one tile - really irritating if you have the larger army - most of which u then waste waiting forI would rate CIV as mediocre i think what they are trying to do with the series is good, but losing religion (now in a DLC) and stacking makes the game tedious towards the end - so many units not enough space. Not having stacking is a real issue when attacking a city that is only accessible by one tile - really irritating if you have the larger army - most of which u then waste waiting for their turn to attack

If you don't get attacked a X amount of time in the game then its probably an even duller game, at least when your neighbor decides they've had enough of you it gently prods you in to some action (or some unit micro-management if you will).

I think the city states were an interesting idea but on the whole there annoying and tend to start wars - so more micro-management of your units.

I think CIV is a let down - I think CIV4 was the more superior game (186 hours of steam game time) - and a game I bought twice and would buy again if i so lost it, lets hope 6 has fixed some issues. On one side note there are available mods appearing so maybe some of those could turn the game around - but seriously i don't expect a full release game to rely on mods.
  95. Jun 23, 2012
    It's actually insulting to think of this game as the sequel of the much-more-awesome Civilization 4. Besides the combat system, which saw some neat improvement, everything else was dumbed down to the point your only management consist of choosing what's next on your cities' production queue. Extremely accessible for newcomers, an insult for old gamers. The User Interface looks good if youIt's actually insulting to think of this game as the sequel of the much-more-awesome Civilization 4. Besides the combat system, which saw some neat improvement, everything else was dumbed down to the point your only management consist of choosing what's next on your cities' production queue. Extremely accessible for newcomers, an insult for old gamers. The User Interface looks good if you say you're playing it on facebook though. Expand
  96. Jun 22, 2012
    Not too many new features from the previous games. The additional features are minor and mostly unnecessary (the hexagonal tiles end up unmeaningful). Most of the old features are simplified; maybe oversimplified. And the game takes so much memory; around 1GB-1.5GB; textures never load completely after a load.
  97. Jun 18, 2012
    I loved Panzer General and found combat in prior Civs to be annoying, as there were just too many units. Now, I love to march my units line abreast into enemy territory and find the military part of the game to be fun. So, despite not being able to play on the largest map (my dual core just takes too long in the late game turns - hmm the PC turns 5 in November - maybe I should get a new PCI loved Panzer General and found combat in prior Civs to be annoying, as there were just too many units. Now, I love to march my units line abreast into enemy territory and find the military part of the game to be fun. So, despite not being able to play on the largest map (my dual core just takes too long in the late game turns - hmm the PC turns 5 in November - maybe I should get a new PC - nah, it still works), I will now try out the new expansion, Gods & Kings. Yes, this review is long overdue - I have been playing Civ V since about 2 days after it was initially relesed in 2010. Rate it a 10. Expand
  98. Jun 14, 2012
    I started out playing Civ I way back when and I always looked forward to the next incarnation of Civilization. Up until now, each new version, was always a step forward, this is the only game in the Civ franchise that seems to have taken a step backwards. I would recommend Civ III before I would recommend this game to someone. Oversimplified, it takes out much of what makes Civ fun toI started out playing Civ I way back when and I always looked forward to the next incarnation of Civilization. Up until now, each new version, was always a step forward, this is the only game in the Civ franchise that seems to have taken a step backwards. I would recommend Civ III before I would recommend this game to someone. Oversimplified, it takes out much of what makes Civ fun to play, and instead creates an monotonous experience, best avoided. I know I'm not alone when I say, I'm sticking with Civ IV and praying for more from Civ VI. Expand
  99. Jun 13, 2012
    I just wanted to update my review a bit now that the game has been out for a couple years and there's an expansion right around the corner. I previously rated it a 5, but looking back that was a little unfair. Civ 5 has improved quite a bit since launch, though there are still serious issues inherent to its basic design. The biggest issue is 1 Unit Per Tile (1UPT). At its heart, 1UPT is aI just wanted to update my review a bit now that the game has been out for a couple years and there's an expansion right around the corner. I previously rated it a 5, but looking back that was a little unfair. Civ 5 has improved quite a bit since launch, though there are still serious issues inherent to its basic design. The biggest issue is 1 Unit Per Tile (1UPT). At its heart, 1UPT is a poor mechanic that the AI simply cannot handle, making most wars completely one sided, and the management of a large army annoying. Other mechanics, such as happiness, limits on expansion, and diplomacy (as always) are poorly developed. Policies and the various Civilizations themselves feel neutered compared to previous games. Communism and fascism, for example, have NO penalties, whereas previously they were powerful, but had issues you needed to manage to make them work. Despite all this, Civ 5 manages to preserve its 'just one more turn' charm and you can still spend the majority of a day playing without realizing it. Hopefully the expansion will add (well, reintroduce) some much needed strategic depth in the form of religion and espionage. Expand
  100. Jun 11, 2012
    My first Civ game was Civ2. I loved it. I've played each Civ game to follow. Maybe I've just become jaded and bored with the series, but Civ5 didn't capture my interest at all. The first game I played, I went the entire game without ever attacking anyone or being attacked. All I did was click 'next turn'. In my second game, I decided to try the expansionist strategy, only to discover thatMy first Civ game was Civ2. I loved it. I've played each Civ game to follow. Maybe I've just become jaded and bored with the series, but Civ5 didn't capture my interest at all. The first game I played, I went the entire game without ever attacking anyone or being attacked. All I did was click 'next turn'. In my second game, I decided to try the expansionist strategy, only to discover that the game designers hate the expansionist strategy. As for new features, the no unit stacking rule is kind of cool, and city-states are OK but clutter up the map. Some things never change, though: the AI is still a joke. Expand

1. Apr 3, 2011
    Despite my gripe with the animations in multiplayer, Civilization V is the perfect entry for the series' debut in the current generation of gaming.
  2. Jan 20, 2011
    We're just a little bit disappointed that this Civ evolution isn't as polished as we'd expected. [Issue#102, p.108]
  3. Jan 15, 2011
    An old franchise that knows who to evolve to adapt to modern times. Its latest new ideas might not be perfect, but serve the purpose of making the game even more interesting.