7.7

1. Sep 23, 2010
    I have played every Civilization games since CIV 2. I only slept 5 hrs last night due to Civ 5, and it was worth it! The move to hexagons was a brilliant decision when combined with the removal of stacks. A slightly simplified tech tree and the new the social policies also reduce the micromanagement of the game. My first game still took me over six hours, but the turns went by so much faster. Pretty graphics are always nice :)

Now, does the AI have problems? Yes. Does the AI always have problems? No. Does it usually have problems? Yes. The AI is not a lost cause, but it will probably take some time to get right. While I am ranting let me make one further remark. The longer you play, the better you get at the game. It should not be surprising then that the AI will lag behind the player. That is why there are different difficulty levels. I never got beyond Noble, however, because the micromanagement started to weigh the game down for me. I think that I will be going a lot longer now. Back to actual problems, I did have to rename the CIV 5 DX 10 App as the Civ V DX 9 app to have DX 10 graphics. Check the steam forums for tech support if you having issues - some very smart people are there.

I know that some older players will miss some of the features and will also miss some of their strategies not working. They deserve to speak their minds. As do I. As I mentioned I think much of my enthusiasm comes from a streamlined experience. If that sounds like your kind of Civilization, you will be in luck. If you want the complexity that is Beyond the Sword, you might want to wait till the inevitable expansion.
  2. Sep 22, 2010
    Firstly and most importantly: I have never played a Civ game before. Secondly, the first time I sat down and played Civilization V, I played for almost 8 hours. Consecutively. The game is THAT addictive, and I haven't had that kind of hook on a game for years. There are many ways to play and ultimately be the best civilization. The game might look unappealing and boring to some, but the game is really easy to understand, yet extremely deep at the same time. I'm mostly an FPS person, but this game is some of the most fun I've had playing a game, ever. Expand
  3. Sep 30, 2010
    Civ V is somewhat a dramatic and almost unexpected departure from the venerable series. Given how polished and excellent Civ IV and the Beyond the Sword expansion is, it would have been easy for Firaxis to slap a fresh coat of paint on that game and release it as Civ V. In fact, that's one of the reasons that some Civ IV fans aren't happy with Civ V. Go read reviews for a description of the game because the feature set sounds much like past Civs. Yet this one plays quite a bit differently. Gone is religion, squares, transports and the stack of doom. In their place is a very different Civ, with an emphasis on fewer units and cities, tactical combat and overall happiness. There's fewer units and cities so overall there's less micro-management. But yet there's more micro-management per unit and city because each one is so valuable. In many ways, Civ V is far more nuanced than prior versions, yet the options are there if you want to keep it on a high level. You'll spend more time in this game husbanding units and maneuvering for tactical combat and perhaps a bit less on the building of your empire. Also, unlike in some past games, Civ V will make you make a decision on the direction of your empire that you can't reverse. Scarcity in gold, hammers and civics makes a player think about these key decisions. This is a pretty radical departure in the series, but one that I welcome.

There's no doubt there are some issues on release, notably with the tactical AI and opaque diplomacy. Gone too are things like wonder movies, which helped add personality to past games in the series, and religion, which drove diplomacy . Some fans like these decisions, others don't.

All in all, Civ V deserves your hard-earned dollar. It's greatly entertaining, deep and fun. It's not without flaws and it's a pretty different direction for the Civ series, but the core of what made Civilization the premier TBS game in all of PC gaming is still here. It's a worthy successor to the crown.
  4. Sep 26, 2010
    Some minor things prevent me from giving Sid Meier's Civilzation V the 10/10. There are some minor glitches, but in the end I cannot agree with people saying "It's the same old game ..." - yes, it feels still like Civilzation but the new tactical aspects, i.e. hex cells and no more piles of death make the game much more enjoyable for me.

You can easily spend 15-20 hours on a Standard
    sized map, not to talk about the bigger versions. The KI seems to be Ok, but again - here are some minor glitches. To give you an example, after freeing the capital city and handing it over to the old owner again, they should be pretty happy with you (and it's even mentioned they will be grateful forever ...), but they are not.

It will eat your time, be warned. It is the same old game ... just one more move, and then I will eat something. Usually the next time you will have a look at the clock is hours later. ;)
  5. Sep 22, 2010
    Continuing the tradition of sucking the soul from your body, Sid keeps up the legacy that is Civilization. After only one play through the thought of jumping into the next full work days worth of playing to feel the happiness in victory over the other Civilizations is still there. Slight tweaks are definitely noticeable in terms of cultural changes, military changes, and clearly defined tech tree development. The new policy choices are a great new take on the game, I can't wait for the game to have added depth with mods. Best purchase I've made all year. = ) Expand
  6. Sep 27, 2010
    Civ 5 lives up to all of my expectations and continues with the strong traditional "just one my turn" game play. They have made some good tweaks to the game mechanics that I was hoping for and the graphics overhaul is very nice.

Definitely one of the most addictive games on this planet - beware!
  7. Sep 22, 2010
    A fantastic addition to the Civ franchise. My greatest complaint with previous Civ games, which I've been playing since 1991, was that large armies were extremely unwieldy and frustrating to manage. Sea transportation logistics were also a frustrating time sink. Both of these problems have been solved with Civ V. Everything about the game screams polish and it runs like an absolute dream, haven't had a hitch yet which is becoming so rare with new releases. Expand
  8. Sep 22, 2010
    So many annoying things have been streamlined without dumbing the game down. No more counting out 2 tiles away from your city, your boundaries are more fluid. Wonder limits appear to be tossed out, which was an annoying strategy-lite factor to track in IV . (I noticed lots of well-placed streamlining... I'm sure I'm forgetting to mention some.)

I cannot understate how much better combat
    is in V. Ranged combat, no stacks, hexes, all for the better. Frigates can kill stuff on land.

Game balance seems better so far. Last night I tried a theologically-based "happy citizens" approach that seemed to pretty successful, though that was on Chieftain setting.

The communication of why things happen isn't so esoteric "It's too crowded!!!!" comments are now clearly quantified. Civic options are a bit more fleshed out as "policies". They follow a more formal tree, but have relevance throughout the game. AI is cool too. During one war I was winning, my AI opponent offered a great peace deal. Unfortunately he whisked in a defensive pact. Silly me, I didn't think about it until he started killing one of my city state allies and quipped, "I'm beating up on your buddy. What you gonna do about it?" It's like any later edition of a game: Modern game design is simply more sophisticated nowadays. Some folks will dislike the differences, but in the case of Civ V, I like what they did to it.
  9. Sep 22, 2010
    The king of strategy games is back. It comes packed with plenty of new features and tweaks, but the most impressive part is the presentation. The audio and visual quality is stunning as usual. Truly beautifully done. Sid Meier, don't stop making games please. But a step in a new direction next time would be nice.
  10. Sep 23, 2010
    I always was a fan of the Civilization series and every-time they never disappoint me! A absolute genius game that will keep you playing forever! And that wasn't sarcasm :)
  11. Sep 24, 2010
    In previous Civ's, the AI was either too random or too smart for itself and created predictability. This time, its closer to realism. I have logged several hours in the last three to four days and the challenge is finding enough time to learn the nuances of the game. Do not let yourself jump to conclusions about how the game has muddled the depth of control that existed in previous editions! With the expanded level of units per hexagon, the stacking mechanism is no longer relevant. Also, if we are trying for realism in a turn based game, how many soldiers can actually occupy a single space? The answer is 1 of course! It's the little things that set this game apart such as the advent of marine capabilities (a realism where a unit may construct a very small raft that allows them to shuttle across a peninsula without a resource cost but simply a turn cost), the unique AI, the extensive cultures available, and of course everything else I havent discovered yet.

In versions of old, building natural wonders in the right place at the right time usually guaranteed victory. In this version, there are many possibilities including the discoveries of natural wonders, which can tilt your experience the right way. The best way to start this game, if you are a longtime fan, is to bite the bullet and just start with the training wheel. Read the instructive tutorials and use an open mind. Soon, you will find yourself immersed and it's no longer about about brute force and numbers, but an expressive mix of strategy, position, resource and military positioning that wins your games.

The rest is up to you to explore- and you must be willing to accept the fact that every game will truly be different than the previous while playing Civ V. You cannot simply expect the AI to roll over with a set combination of negotiation tactics, sometimes it will- sometimes it wont- and sometimes when you think you have your enemy over the barrel, you will attack, and then an ally you were playing footsie with will declare war on you and crush you from the left.

This game is a buy- and one of my favorites of 2010
  12. Sep 29, 2010
    Sid strike again and this time he nails it out of the park. This is one of those games that come along oncin a blue moon. The amount of time I put into this game is unruly. It's a beautiful game crafted son well any artisan would admire it. Some people have said the game is dumbed down, that is just not true. When I first played it I did not like it. My eldest son told me to play it again and this time it shone like a diamond. This baby is great, I should know, I own almost 300 games.

The combat in the game is superb and I love getting domination victories.

If your system can handle it, give it a whirl. Trust me you wont be displeased.
  13. Oct 1, 2010
    Super addictive game, despite that I am new to the series, the game doesn't require me too much time to pick up the pace as much as I expected from this deep strategy game. The game is extremely accessible while retaining its micro-management. Each of the civilization have its own uniqueness equally and balanced to me. Some says that the game doesn't innovate anything new, I say: would you rather see a risky experimental game on your (well-known) favorite title? Some also says that there are too few civs, I say: 18, few? you mad? How much do you want? hundred?. Only minor let down of this game is languages, while enjoying listening to another civ leaders speaks their own language to use, if you speak one of those language you can notice that: their speech doesn't exactly match the translation it's only something related to it, and I heard that some of civ leaders speaks wrong language, on top of that It is creative idea, wishing for more though Expand
  14. Oct 2, 2010
    Easily the best Civilization game to date. Trims most of the unnecessary bloat from previous versions (espionage, troop transport over water, unwieldy armies, religion) and streamlines the game to make it the most accessible Civ without removing any of the strategy. The game runs beautifully even with the superb graphics set to max. My only complaint is with the presentation, I miss the wonder videos and would love to see the palace or treasure room back, but these have no effect on the fantastic game play. Throw in steamworks and never having to dig up your game disc again and this is a complete package not to be missed by fans of the series or first timers looking to find out what all the fuss is about. Expand
  15. Oct 4, 2010
    I love this game. The Most Addicting Strategy game I have played since Civilization III. If you still deciding whether you will buy it or not, do it. Do it now. Its worth every penny.
  16. Oct 7, 2010
    This game is wonderful. It's one of the most approachable Civ games I've ever played, whether you're a Civ vet or a newcomer. The interface is really clean and doesn't clutter the screen like in previous Civ games. One of the big things I loved about this game was the world leaders. Being a language geek, I thought the fact that each of the leaders speaks in their native language. Little touches like that make this one of the great games released this year. Expand
  17. Oct 9, 2010
    Ah, Civilization. This series has kept me up many a night, expanding my empires to try and take down my enemies will pure tactics. And this fifth iteration of the series will not disappoint, not at all. The first thing you are probably going to notice when you boot this game up is the graphics. They are simply amazing; the hills and oceans and deserts look so real you'll want to make sure that this game isn't actually real. And there are some changes made to things like the interface, movement, and quite a few other things. These changes mostly are to make the game easier for new players to jump in, and I promise you it won't ruin the experience for Civ vets. Also you'll notice that the standard square-spaces have been replaced with hexes. Honestly, this changes pretty much nothing, and you'll adjust to it within moments of playing. You get a diverse selection of leaders with different abilities; instead of things like higher health in cities you get abilities like having units fight at full strength even when wounded, or having your navy be more powerful. The game itself runs as smooth as butter (Or something else that is really smooth, like ice cream) even on lower-end systems, and even when you crank up the graphics it still will give you 40+ FPS, an amazing feat. If you enjoyed any of the previous Civ titles, or if you like strategy games, get this game. Expand
  18. Dec 7, 2010
    Civilization V was probably my most anticipated game of 2010, and I have to say, after playing it since release, that it is a magnificent game. Graphically speaking, Civ5 is absolutely beautiful particularly if you can get to the higher end of its flexible graphical capabilities. The leader screen was a little bit lower than what I was expecting but they are still wonderful to look at and I sometimes find myself taking just a little time to appreciate the environment. It should be noted, though, that this games Direct X 10 and Direct X 11 features have a few issues. You might have to update your OS and update the DX from the games files in the SteamApps, and after that launch it from the Steam Store to work, but I did manage to get it to work (though it was a little more annoying than it should have been). The game also can have an issue of loading the landscape after you are already in the game which is a little annoying when you first jump in, but it isn't a great issue. With regards to the sound, the sound effects are about as good as a game of this nature can have. Sure, it isn't absolutely fantastic by other genre standards, but for a strategy game it is top-notch. The voice acting is also well done and you can definitely hear at least traces of emotion unless you are talking to maybe Hiawatha who tends to be a little more calm and emotionless. The soundtrack on this game is also terrific, though, I would say Civ4 had a better one. Now, when you get into the actual gameplay, you will notice a few (or, maybe better to say a lot) of changes have been made to Civ4. There no longer are religions in this game nor are the civics (both of which are disappointing to lose). Civics are replaced with Social Policies, though, which do affect the game like civics, but the way the system works just isn't as enjoyable. There are city-states which can slightly affect the game (and plays a huge role in the diplomatic victory) and (when playing against the AI) can affect relations with other civs, but not to the magnitude religion sometimes would in Civ4. The diplomacy screen has also had some minor changes (ex. you can enter research agreements but can't trade technologies) and has taken a more psychological turn rather than the useful turn (ex. Pact of Cooperation and Pact of Secrecy don't do much to the overall game except maybe affect the way you look at a civ and the way they look at you). However, this game isn't a complete downgrade to Civ4. The accessibility of in-game options is made much easier with the new interface and that makes the game a little more enjoyable when working the smaller details of running your civ and the game options. The game also runs a little slower than Civ4 which, while this may annoy some players, it actually seems to help you immerse yourself more in and enjoy the experience of working your civ. The combat, also, has been seriously upgraded. While the developers might have gone a little extreme in removing stacks (a few discussions among the community would have preferred it if they allowed three to five stack caps), it still is enjoyable and tactical not to mention that now ranged units are actually, well, ranged units. They can fire over numerous tiles (generally two). The game also encourages taking tactical advantages on the terrain and organizing attacks (particularly against cities) much more than the previous Civ games. Now, I will say that the AI of this game is really poor right now (currently Firaxis is working on improving it). They don't really settle new continents (sometimes they do, but generally not) and they also aren't very good at stopping you from securing a diplomatic victory on any difficulty level. This is probably the greatest problem with the game's actual gameplay. Now, one thing I must mention before I close is that the modding right now in this game is having a lot of bugs with a lot (if not most) mods not working at all. Not many people know if this is a problem with the mod itself or with the game, but most have confirmed it is not a problem with the person downloading it. Just a warning in case you are getting this strictly for modding (though it will probably be fixed). In the end, I would probably give Civ5 anywhere between a 9.5-9.7. It isn't perfect, but it definitely isn't worth a bad review in my opinion. If you are a long-time Civ fan, then I would definitely advise this. If you are new, then I'd try out the demo (though you might want the full game to know more specifics of how to play). If you have any doubts (and considering some might be disappointed with this game after Civ3 and Civ4) then I would definitely download the demo on Steam and at least give it a try. Expand
  19. Dec 19, 2010
    There is a lot to love about Civ V. I been playing this series since the original first came out. This is Sid's passion and it has been improved with every version and V is no exception. It has to be the most addicting and nice looking Civ game to date. The interface cleaned up, no more stacks of units (SOD) in a space, now the game has hexes instead of squares. Why did they not implement hexes long before I don't know but I am happy they did now. Range attacks are a great new element. Finally archers can shoot arrows into the enemy. Another cool touch is when you attack a city the arrows turn to flaming arrows which is epic! Something else that was added is city states and this makes the game much more alive. With these you can attack them or ally them and you get strong bonuses and resources if you ally them. Happiness is a global thing now and its a winner of a change. Some of the annoying useless things were taken out. Civics have been changed to social policies and gives a good broad range of ways to shape your civ using branches almost like a tech tree. The graphics and animations this time around are simply spectacular. I can't believe how far they came with graphics. This has to be the only game that has both graphics and game play. At last, this is just about the best strategy game money can buy. This is the one game you want for Christmas! The latest patch really shapes up the game. A 10 out of 10! Expand
  20. Jun 17, 2013
    Still playing it, still enjoying it so long after buying it. So nice to find a game with such re playability. The last expansion was a bit weak but looking forward to the next, the more content for this game the better. I am a big fan of the Civ series and while this isnt the strongest in some respects (Weird technical issues it had concerning performance for a long time) its still more of a good thing and unlike many great series it hasnt got so far from its roots that it lost its appeal. More of the same and thank god for that! Expand
  21. Feb 15, 2011
    Great game and I'm an old Civ addict. Has kept me addicted longer than any civ game since civ 1. The new combat system is great. There are a few things I would like to see done better, such as more interesting diplomacy and more of an emphasis on religion. But overall a really addicting, fun addition to the Civ franchise. I'm giving it a 10 because I think it should be 9.5 but can't choose that here. Expand
  22. Mar 1, 2011
    Its astounding how much bad rep the user reviews give Civ V. The complaints are very typical. "I don't like it because it took away what I like from the previous titles." This is an understandable point of view but I feel like this thought process is preventing people from enjoying an excellent game. To these, Civ Vets, as Ill call them; I say give the game a chance! I haven't had too much history with the past Civ titles. It was Civilization Revolution the reignited my interest in the series. I enjoyed its user friendliness and simplicity. This encouraged me to purchase the Civ 4 bundle. Civ 4 was fun but was a huge headache! Unit stacking was a great annoyance. A sea assault/invasion didn't feel like it should in a strategy game. The square grid setup def needed to be switched to hexs. City management screen needed some tidying up. The wonders going obsolete was a huge annoyance. While the religion thing was cool, it just seemed like it could use a change. Civ V answered all of these issues. In fact, Civ V has been so perfected that I really don't have a huge desire to play previous Civs at all. Civilization Revolution is the only previous title I still like, despite the lack of ability to mod or create maps. Civ V is an excellent game with an excellent interface. I just can't praise this game enough. I know that it will continue to take plenty of a good nights sleep and free time away from me. The layout and graphics are superb. My only complaint is that it is true that if you're running a large map, the wait time between turns is absurd. Perhaps the game is just a little ahead of its time and a stronger computer would answer this problem. This aside, the game is as fun as it is addictive and its gosh damn addictive. Expand
  23. Mar 16, 2011
    Being new to the CIV series, I quite enjoy this game, and it looks great. Seems to me alot of die hard CIV fans are bashing the game, but for me I love it! So I would say if you are new to CIV series defiantly pick this one up!
  24. Aug 31, 2011
    Imagine Civ 3 but slower. ALOT slower. It seriously is just like civ 3 but a small, tiny, micro-scopic uniqueness to each civilization. Gameplay is the same, graphics are better, and overall its the sam civ game you know, just shinnier. OH OH OH! and its dumbed down. If you are also a fan of Empire earth....imagine empire earth 2 towards 3. Its basically like that
  25. Aug 1, 2011
    Long time Civ player. The hate this game has received is fueled mostly by:
    1. Peoples' tenancy to expect the release of a squeal to fulfill all their wildest dreams.
    2. Peoples' fear of change.
    Some specific changes for the good: The graphics are smooth and beautiful. The gameplay is streamlined and requires less micromanaging. No more stacked units!!, MUCH easier for units to travel
    across water, far superior user-friendly interface. There are plenty of other little changes to come and more gameplay balances, tweaks and fixes to come (remember everyone, EVERY civ game had bugs).
    Steam makes installation, updates, friend management and communication easy as well as adding achievements.
  26. aka
    May 23, 2011
    well this game is one of the best strategy games ever made! however many people believe the game's not good but thatz completely out of the question becuz no other game is a match for this superb game, the addition of the city states was a brilliant idea which make diplomacy win much easier. well over all this game has a lot of exiting features which would completely dominate any fault in the game (if it had any), in other words a game that every strategy games players would love! Expand
  27. Jun 9, 2011
    Love Civ V, absolutely no problems, beautiful graphics and wonderful game play. The introduction video looks so realistic and smooth, which is followed by its crystal clear pictures,
  28. Jun 20, 2011
    This was my first time playing a CIV game. I was in no way disappointed and it lived up to all the hype I had heard about it. Anyone looking for a game that has a slow but very fun pace this is the game for you, just make sure that you don't have anything to do because time will fly when you play this game.
  29. Jul 13, 2011
    Great game, best Civ ever. The new combat system where only 1 unit per tile is awsome, makes the battle more tatical. The economics is more clear also, you know what is happening.
  30. Apr 24, 2012
    The first time a turn-based strategy game has been as fun as an RTS game like Starcraft 2. A great game, very enjoyable and refined gameplay.
    Pros: graphics, singleplayer experience, gameplay, music, lore, vision
    Cons: multiplayer is sometimes buggy, doesn't support animations at present
  31. Jul 30, 2011
    I love this game. It keeps me in the infinite "just 15 more minutes" cycle. Civ 5 can take the usually Boring TBS strategy and make it fun again. Decent AI, and the desire to play the loads of civilizations until the last empire is crushed keeps bringing me back.

that being said, it can be frustrating. Playing on marathon will day MORE then a full day to complete. Hours of your gameplay
    will be just waiting for the game to end the turn. the lag is off the charts and can be tedious to wait minutes to end every turn. Then, you HAVE to give orders to every single unit you own. sure, you can put them into a standby thing, but once you need them, you forget about them into the flurry of constant unit orders. althought it can be a good thing, sometimes dragging out a game so long (days to complete a single one), can be a bit annoying.

But overall, i give it a 7. its a good game regardless, and worth it.
  32. Aug 27, 2011
    I played every single one of this game since the first Civ came out, it was just 2D icons on a 2d map, I think was the time of Simcity etc. When I got the Civ5, by just looking at the cover, I saw major difference. First I could use the ships for ground support, ground troops could attack ships, and units could fire 2-4 squares away. Great. I was quite excited until about the middle of my first game on huge map. The game was extremely slow after some turns and the game was freezing, and shutting down. I improved my system from recommended configuration to quad CPU, 8GB ram, SSD drive, 1GB fast graphics, 64Bit W7 etc. just to feel playable, still very heavy on hardware in later parts of the game on larger maps. The reason is that the AI players are set to mass produce units to the point where the entire area within their borders and beyond is covered with them. I mean every single square. I saw better strategy from barbarians and city states, they would probably get to the same point eventually. About the game. Not talking about all the things and concepts that are left out, there is one major problem. The AI has no strategy. There is no difference in strategy if you play on Settler or Deity difficulty other than completely unfair advantage at the start of the game. Ai just gets more units, better production, you name it. If you can barricade yourself for long enough time and fend off onslaughts of more advanced units, then you'll make it on any level. you may end up fighting arrows against infantry but only until you catch up with your research. Retreat wounded units, promote them, you'll be amazed what ultra elites can do. If AI just would sent all those units at you you would have hard time to make it, but there is only certain amount of points of attack every turn. Terrain comes handy. There is no defense against nukes, other than to attack with a nuke first especially at the city that has one. Which destroys all units at that city. I am not gonna go into more details but basically the game is fun at the beginning where you are fighting for survival, trying to get to the resources, but at some point it becomes very boring and sort of routine cleanup of other players. The whole game was very simplified, has good concepts with air-force and navy but lacks in diplomacy, tech tree, gameplay. Also after you spend all that time hunting for an iron for example, you won't need it anymore. Anyhow I can't say anything dab about, I take it with all pros and cons, just a little bit disappointed. But I see a great potential in multiplayer, human against human. AI just knows how to make "2" types of units at the end, and as long as it puts them in the water, it is just a good target practice for the airforce. So don't be afraid to be the last guy in the games based on the score sheet, with thousands of points difference, city by city unit by unit...
    If you make your economy strong by combination of culture and city management, you can spent most of the time in golden age, and also you can literally buy the world with all city states. Nuclear missile is a good cleanup tool, and since it is nothing special to build, providing that you have uranium access, just keep buying them... It is a good game but no real challenge in it. If there ever is the Civ6 I hope they keep
    this one as a base and fill in all the good features from previous versions with possibility to switch it on and off. But the main focus I would put on AI adaptive tactics and overall strategy.
  33. Sep 5, 2011
    super jeu de stratégie alliant réflexion et plaisir de jouer. Seul petit bémol, même si le graphisme est amélioré par rapport à CIV 4 cela aurais pu être un peu mieux. je trouve dommage qu'un jeu d'une telle qualité n'est pas su profiter d'une meilleur conception graphique.néanmoins; jeu absolument à recommander Expand
  34. Sep 8, 2011
    I initially bought Civilization V on release, having played it for about an hour I wrongly believed it was inferior to its predecessors and didn't play it again until July. This time I embraced the new combat system which was my main problem with game when I first played . The new combat system allows for a more strategic approach and is ultimately more satisfying than the stacking of units in previous games. In other areas things have been simplified which makes the game feel faster, some people would consider this a negative but I feel it is a step forward for the series and will open the game up to more casual player new to the series. One issue with the game is that the A.I is not the best, that said I have only played on the normal difficulty level. The game's graphics are very nice indeed the downside to this means that a good computer is needed to run the game well. I have never had any technical problems with the game and always runs with zero lag and and seems very stable. Expand
  35. May 25, 2014
    Love the game, the maps are varied and massive, the sheer number of different victories possible is awesome. the large number of different difficulty settings challenge and accommodate all player types. and the whole game has that addictive, "Just one more turn!" quality. Only grievance, is that there are too many Native American/South American Civilizations, and as typical of all games, they assume the only great Indian is Ghandi (completely ignoring others such as Ashoka, Shah Jahan, and 101+ more) Expand
  36. Oct 28, 2011
    I played Civ 2 but that was a long time ago. I really enjoyed how they've removed so much of the tedious parts of the game (micro managing workers for instance) and you can play a game in a couple of hours now although 3-6 is probably average. Lots more ways to win. The various achievements encourage you to try the different races. I was able to figure the game out without too much trouble. The multitude of difficulty levels means that players of EVERY ability will have fun. As you get better with strategy, you can slowly raise the difficulty level. This is important to keep frustration levels down. The graphics are really nice. Expand
  37. Dec 5, 2011
    If you enjoy the turn based strategy genre, this is the game for you. I felt it improved on almost every aspect of the previous versions of the Civ universe.
  38. Nov 23, 2011
    I have always loved civilization games and IV (both expansions, but especially BTS; Beyond the Sword) was by far the best. That would be as close to a 10 as I could give to any game. With that being said, As much as I love Civ 5, there are definitely some downsides. The good: Graphics are decent, gameplay is new and inventive, battles are epic and amazing, and a lot of the console/management system has been streamlined. On the flip side, it's amazing what streamlining can do and how much of the game they gutted. This is very much a micromanagement game to the core and they took out quite a lot of those options! Let alone some of the other minor issues, this feels like a game that was re done but not quite done fully. I feel that this game could have utilized system resources better (processors/RAM) and the AI should at this day and age been revamped to a point where it is slightly more intelligent than mathematical numbers (I know, I know, what else does it have? Either the AI is too stupid or too smart to the point of cheating...). My biggest pet peeve is all of the crazy DLC they keep pumping out and selling, very disapointing to see the marketing involved in this and how big of sell-outs they have become. We will never get the same value for our games again. At the end of the day, I won't lie when I say I have probably pumped in close to 200 hours into this game and I definitely found it to be worthwhile, there are definite quirks and minor things that I wish could be fixed. Expand
  39. Jun 11, 2013
    Absolutely loved the game. I'm not a fan of Civ games, nor have I played any previous versions, but I really like this game. Don't listen to the other junkies talking about how they didn't like the game. Because I can tell you now that they have most given up after the first release of the game. Many DLC has been released, and the gold edition with ALL DLC is only ~90 bucks on steam, saving you another 90 bucks. 100% worth it, and can't wait for the school holidays so I can smash it up. Expand
  40. Dec 29, 2011
    Best Civilization game so far. I've played 200 hours without even noticing that I did. Addicting, easy to play and deep. The DLCs sucks, though. You really get nothing for your money if you buy those. I wish they released an expansion instead.
  41. Jan 25, 2012
    PART I of II

Well, where to start?
    First my two cents on the reasons for the release of a bug and untested product.
    Mind my lack of punctuation but the Metacritic site does not like quotes, parenthesis and the likeâ
  42. Dec 30, 2012
    By far, the best of the Civilization games. It doesn't havee the messy combat system from Civ IV, it doesn't have units moving half-way accross the map in one turn and it has cities that defend themselves! Finally! 2 units fighting means both taking damage, not one living and the other being relatively unharmed! It has city-states, a notable improvement. Air combat has greatly improved and now embarking maks naval assaults possible! Expand
  43. Mar 5, 2012
    Best game I have ever played, Been playing for about 1.5 years, have been playing for awhile, never had a problem with the game, game play is great, it requires a brain, or just common sense, a bit of both and you could amount to something, the community is what sells it for me, everyone after awhile knows everyone, you will be meeting pass friends of the game, i can name several off the top of my head, this game opens up new challenges with the DLC's too! I love this game. Expand
  44. Mar 19, 2012
    Nice turn based strategy game. You will be in charge of managing the development of a civilization. You will be challenge by other civilizations who will compete against you and others for land and resources; you can manage your victory in several ways: For example, a civilization can win by Cultural Victory or by Domination Victory (other victory conditions available). The game let you create military units that range from ancient times (archers for example) to modern era (tanks!). You also have to manage city resources (although it can be automated) like food, production and mines, for that purpose several buildings can be constructed. Also, community mods (extra content for free) is available. For those interested in achievements, this game has Steam achievements. I haven't play the multiplayer part of this game. Well, that's all. Expand
  45. Mar 13, 2014
    Despite it rocky start civ5 with the brave new world expansion must now surely go down as the greatest civ title of all, with the introduction of mechanics like, tourism, world congress and the new trading system it all leads to a very challenging and rewarding strategy simulation.
  46. May 19, 2012
    Civilization V is currently my absolute favorite strategy game that I have played. Civilization V is a brilliant game with excellent gameplay and graphics, but obviously the main qualm it has with most players is that it seems inferior to Civ IV. Well, having played Civ IV, I can say that Civ V is massively better, in terms of gameplay, graphics, and general playability. Large problems in Civ IV included STACKS OF DOOM, in which one could create a bloody massive army and generally annihilate everything in your way. With Civ V this is removed, and strategy comes back instead of blind unit spamming. Expand
  47. Jun 2, 2012
    This is what happens when develpors listen to the gamer's. Awesome games come out that follow the legacy of its predecessor. Civ 5 is truly excellent just like Civ 4 but the only thing i miss is being able to look into the city and see all the buildinds you built.
  48. Nov 21, 2013
    I bought it for 75% off and I also have an extra free copy from a giveaway. This game keeps me entertained for many hours, even days. The final question is, did I get my money's worth? I say yes. That's all that matters.

I suggest trying out the demo before buying the game if you are unsure.
  49. Jun 18, 2012
    I loved Panzer General and found combat in prior Civs to be annoying, as there were just too many units. Now, I love to march my units line abreast into enemy territory and find the military part of the game to be fun. So, despite not being able to play on the largest map (my dual core just takes too long in the late game turns - hmm the PC turns 5 in November - maybe I should get a new PC - nah, it still works), I will now try out the new expansion, Gods & Kings. Yes, this review is long overdue - I have been playing Civ V since about 2 days after it was initially relesed in 2010. Rate it a 10. Expand
  50. Jun 26, 2012
    I've been an RTS fan since the 90's with C&C:red alert so of course for the last few years i've know about civilization. I've always known i should have played it but never did. On a whim i tried out a demo and i bought the game that night. This is the most dauntly complex game i may have ever played. Its the thrill and variation of Risk with all the complexities of raising a nation from scratch. This game is so fun and addicting on it's own that they didnt even need to do anything but give you one game type, "play game" haha. I havent been this hooked to a game since WOW like 5 years ago. Expand
  51. Jul 28, 2013
    WARNING: Do not play unless you have many hours to spare! You WILL get addicted, and lose the time. Of course though, that's a commendable accomplishment on the game's part. It is so fun, and I always find myself trying a new strategy with a new character, or what mods there are on the Steam Workshop. With Brave New World recently released, you're in for one LONG play session(s)
  52. Nov 29, 2012
    After the release of Gods and Kings, Civ V has become one of the best turned-based strategy games of all time. Don't listen to the Civ III and IV fans who complained about this game earlier. It's a fantastic game. The only cons of this game as of the latest update is that this game requires a high powered pc to play on higher settings, and the game is almost too addicting! ;) ***ALSO, IF YOU GAVE THIS GAME A 0, YOU ARE AN IDIOT, PERIOD. UNLESS THE GAME ABSOLUTELY DIDN'T WORK, A ZERO IS NOT WARRANTED. METACRITIC NEEDS TO REMOVE THE ABILITY TO GIVE ZEROS TO KEEP IMMATURE CHILDREN FROM RUINING THE INTEGRITY OF USER REVIEW SCORES.*** Expand
  53. Jul 17, 2014
    Phenomenal, honestly. If you're a fan of 4x, poltics, management or strategy games this is truly a staple. Customization, replayability and incredibly addicting gameplay keep people playing this for hundreds and thousands of hours. The game has one major flaw, and that's if you get the base game with no expansions, packs or DLC then it can feel empy, which is a flaw. Though, at this point with all the bundle sales if you can get anything along with it it feels fleshed out and is probably one of the best games on the market for your money considering how many hours of gameplay it gives. Expand
  54. Nov 12, 2012
    This review was a long time coming. I basically have 3 different reviews based on performance. When I first bought the game, I had technical issues with game performance. I couldn't get DX11 to work and the game played like a 15 year old game on my fairly new desktop. The game was simply unplayable. When the game does work, it's one of the most complex and entertaining games I have ever played. Absolutely outstanding. Very deep and has almost endless replay value. The DLC is abundant and still likely to see some new releases in the future. The game on Steam also has a great modding community. Makes it easy to try out other people's creations. All of the extras are just gravy as the base game is the best strategy game of its kind in the world. Civ V will probably hold this title until Civ 6 comes out in half a decade or so. Expand
  55. Nov 29, 2012
    TOP Game! Absolut super! Jedes Civ hatte seine Vor- und Nachteile, aber Civ V ist das, ich sag mal, abgerundeste! Es macht super Spaß, schicke Grafik und es macht immer wieder mal Spaß seine Zivilisation aufzubauen! :-) Bin nach wie vor begeistert!
  56. Aug 21, 2013
    RTS is my lifeblood in gaming. With all the expansions including brave new world, this turn-based strategy game simply has no equal in its scope and complexity. The fantastically addictive concept of creating and growing your perfect civilization through the ages holds as much sway today as it ever has and this is the only franchise to offer it on such a legit level.

This is a
    magnificent achievement by Firaxis...this game needed a number of years to mature but now I'd say it ranks as the best strategy game of all time alongside Starcraft I and II, and easily the best turn-based RTS ever made. Wait for the sale on steam and take the bite, you'll get the value of what this game is should worth for a value conscious buyer (especailly when buying all the xpacs). Expand
  57. Dec 6, 2012
    i have to say the best one yet, have played it for over 300h since release. AI plays great, the hex grid and no troop stacking......... = all great moves to make it more strategic and challenging.
  58. Feb 7, 2013
    this is one of the best games that I have ever played, I find it easy and fast to understand, fun to play and the IA is just epic. I recommend it to everyone
  59. Dec 16, 2012
    Since i was 6 i've been playing Civilzation and Civilization V is the best and easiest for me to use (so far). It may be because i was younger and not able to fully understand the keyboard a few years ago but i find Civilization V easy to control and i really enjoy playing it.
  60. Dec 24, 2012
    Love this game! Played it quite a bit when it was first released but was only ever average at it. Have revisited this game over the last few months, and read up a bit on tips & tricks and with the new patch this game is pretty much perfect. LOVE the music score. Really cant fault the game at all. Bring on Civ VI is all I can say.
  61. Jan 3, 2013
    Perfect instalment for Civ. Cities have been simplified to some degree, making specialized cities isn't quite as crucial as it was in Civ4 due to the fact that most national wonders aren't % increases. All the economy is a bit more steamlined. Combat is infinitely better then Civ 4 which is where Civ 5 really shines. No more stack of doom mass seige garbage. You need a good plan when warring and you really need to take terrain into account. Passing through a choke point will favor ranged units, wide open flat terrain will favor melee and cavalry. Great game. Expand
  62. Mar 11, 2013
    My all time favorite turn based strategy game: I have over 700 hours logged on Steam and I still haven't tried all the features included. I totally love the new graphics, the soundtrack the voice acting, the Interface and most game mechanics. I have nothing but admiration for the bold move to go hexagonal without unit stacking: no more stacking 50 units on one tile. And while at first I didn't like the lack of deep info screens, I now appreciate the absence of tedious micromanagement. Each game has a great flow from start to end. Volumes have been written on the strategy forums, that means it's still deep enough, right? I could go on and on lauding this game to infinity so I'll quit here. One bit of negative is the online multiplayer: me and some friends tried that a few times, but we just couldn't enjoy it. It's not entirely turn-based and sometimes the one that clicks faster will win the battle, meh. On the other hand, local hotseat is great fun if you choose to cooperate. (Make all local players part of the same team, then plot against AI teams. Feels like a boardgame... great!) Expand
  63. Mar 20, 2013
    I've played Civ for a long time the mid 90s. I really like the wai CiV have turned out unit stacking is gone, and i really love it. I would point out that many of the annoyances poited out in negative reviews were fixed with later patches and in the God and Kings expansion
  64. Jun 4, 2013
    Many will notice that the "PC Gaming Master Race" has collectively turned up their nose at Civ V. Long gone are the stacks of death, replaced by the strategic combat system found in the Panzer General series. This is a HUGE upgrade to the series. Yes the hardcore fans will be alienated and while that's a shame this game is still as ridiculously addictive as its' predecessors and much more user friendly. The micro-management isn't nearly as daunting, and while the AI at times borders on mentally handicapped (especially concerning Diplomacy) this game is a ridiculous time dump. Straategy PC gamers looking to get their feet wet need to get Civ V, and be prepared to be devoid of a social life. Expand
  65. Apr 14, 2014
    I've played all CIV games, on all platforms that are available. I would've said Civ. 3 was the best, now I would say,Civ. 3&Civ 5 are the best.Yes,they've had a lot of ,"bugs"'but I expect that. I'd say it was well worth the money, and would recommend it strongly to people, that I know, who play these kinds of strategy games.
  66. Jul 10, 2013
    Very great and fluid running game. enhance that experience by getting at least the major 2 addons as they offer vast amounts of new content for your money. If you love strategy games, this ones for you.
  67. Aug 16, 2013
    All if the problem I see in any review are either fixed in options or are fixed through mods. Which don't only fix the problems but make it more fun in SO many ways! Miss the Civ IV diplomacy? There's a mod. Not enough maps? There are hundreds of mods. Not enough Civs. Hundreds of mods from historical civilizations to civs based on other video games like Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, etc. Not to mention the fact that all the mods are on the Steam Workshop!!! So they're easier to get than the friggin GAME! Another thing to add that is VERY IMPORTANT. The DLC is nearly REQUIRED to make the game really fun. You need Gods and Kings to use most mods and adds SPIES and BNW adds things like the World Congress (mini UN) and makes the cultural victory a little harder and more interesting by adding things like great artists, writers, and musicians. I found the names of famous x for great x's very adorable and cool. I have played this game for hundreds of hours and I have never lost interest. My favorite era to start in is the classical era. Because you have to wait FOREVER in the ancient era for workers to do ANYTHING except build farms. Just a suggestion. :P But in all honesty the game isn't as bad as everyone says. It's probably the easiest Civ to get into the series... And even if it isn't as "good" as the others it's still a hell of a lot of fun! I have also noticed the addition of HEXES to be a lot better than squares. In the end I feel this game deserves a 10/10 and I suggest this to EVERYONE!!! Final note: This game isn't an action packed shooter. It is a strategy game so don't expect every second to be action packed. It's a game that requires patience and thought(especially on the longer game times). No campaign, no bullcrud. Just strategy. And hopefully that's your thing!!! Expand
  68. Sep 6, 2013
    A Master piece, Civ 5 is both beautiful and complex in a good way that is fun to play and very addictive, there are tons of options and mods to suit your style (diplomacy, war, tech, etc) a very nice addition to the franchise. A must have for turn-based strategy lovers.
  69. Jun 22, 2014
    Civilization V is one of those rare games that takes a time tested and well liked system, changes it, and manages to create something even better than it had before. The new hex grid setup provides new ways to move and build, the change to unit stackability makes defending and attacking territory much more strategic, and the new additions that come along with the DLC make the whole game more fun, and really make you want to take that one more turn.

It seems that most of the negative user reviews for this game either deal with release bugs, fanboys **** about the changes, or a "lack of content" in number of Civs, City States, Tech Tree, etc. There are plenty of Civs in the base game, and what with the fantastic DLC and the Steam modding community, you can expand to a huge number of playable Civs, many times more than Civ IV.

The bottom line is that while maybe on the release date, Civ V was a 7.7 because of release bugs, now, in 2014, with player content and two great DLCs, Civ V should easily be a 9 or even a 10
  70. Aug 1, 2013
    Civilization V is truly the ultimate experience in casual (and a higher difficulties, hardcore) strategy gaming. Having played Civ III for many hours as a kid (I'm 18) and picking up a used copy of Civilization Revolution for PS3 a few years back, this was the first game that I bough when I re-entered the PC gaming world, and I was amazed. The graphics are astonishing for a turn-based strategy game with water effects rivaling any blockbuster of today. Huge selections of empires with plenty of unique structures and units all wrapped up into a very fluid user interface make this a game worth experiencing. The music and voice-work are top notch, but it is really the gameplay that matters. Firaxis knows how to balance a game and any issues that existed at launch of both the base game, and DLCs were quickly patched. Historical knowledge is abound in the so-called "civilopedia" providing photographs and histories over all of the world leaders, wonders, city-states, and more. This game does also have Steam workshop support letting players modify it in all crazy ways if they do get bored. This coupled with the two expansions and the overall long term support allow this addictive game to force anyone to replay it time and time again.
    With this said, the AI is not perfect and the game can occasionally lag even on my PC (which exceeds recommended system requirements in each regard). Inability to stack certain units (i.e., great people, trading units, workers) can be frustrating, but for military units, it is one of the games shining innovations that changes the state of warfare only for the better. The new diplomacy victory and Shoshone empire are currently overpowered in the latest expansion, but I'm sure that will be balanced as Gods and Kings was so perfectly balanced.
    This is a game with infinite replay whether it be in single-player, scenarios, or the flawless multiplayer. This is the Grand Theft Auto of strategy games, a culmination of many superb parts working together to form an even more perfect whole. In the end, I'd give it a 9.8/10 if only to see if Firaxis can out-do itself in Civilization VI.
  71. Aug 4, 2013
    Best Civ yet. There are some negatives with the game but with the recent release of Brave New World the end game is terrific. No unit stacking causes you to place your units more strategically. The World Congress/United Nations brings an excellent end game experience and great new ways to influence the game. One of my biggest complaints was how missiles work in the game with no way to defend against them other than by keeping your distance and using your own missiles to guess where the computer has his and blowing their city up. Limited moves for nukes suck. The AI has been fixed a good bit with the latest patches. All in All this game is fantastic and if you didnt like it when it first came out you will definately like it now. One last thing and its the biggest for me is multiplayer. Its still missing the single player features like leader animations, wonder animations and so on. For those who like to play vs the computer with friends thats a real bummer. Still a 10/10. Expand
  72. Jan 23, 2014
    Civilization V is an excellent strategy title that will keep you coming back for more, it can be tedious at times, it will be well worth the 30 to 90 dollars you spend on it. The game is best with the brave new world expansion, which greatly increases options and makes diplomacy and culture more viable and interesting victory options, but the base game is fine

GRAPHICS/SOUND
    If your
    computer can handle the game maxed out, it looks better than a lot of the games currently on the market. Textures look very crisp and the animations are great. The game does not run very well on my computer due to the high amount of processing power it requires, but it still looks great. The Sounds are also fantastic, from swordplay to futuristic robots, it all sounds like it came out of a high quality movie. The music, especially the war themes and BNWs main menu theme are STUNNING! Each civilization's themes sound original and unique to them, and them alone.

Gameplay
    The level of strategy in the gameplay, even though the attractive ui and user friendliness wouldn't show it. is quite high. The combat has all sorts of modifiers that turns it from a larger army contest into a game of positioning. You do not have to fight though, if you have vanilla it's a lot more fun to just destroy everything than to just grind policy trees or sciences, but brave new world changes that. If you have Brave new world, well, it gives you a brave new world of civilization V, culture turns from policy trees into a game of trading and build the correct structures. The diplomacy victory has you struggling to make friends, but to make friends, you must make enemies. Diplomacy can lead to wars if you aren't careful with the acts you try to push, so watch out.

Value
    Civ V certainly has the best value out of any game i have played. Hundreds of hours in. you'll still want more.

Verdict
    Civilization V is a fantastic game
  73. Aug 13, 2013
    A game that is totally worth buying. Maybe different from other Civs (I played civ III and a lot of civ IV), but it feels fresh and easy to adapt. Something I hated the most of Civ IV was the stacked units in huge armies. That is gone, and now it feels like really playing a board game. As well as easy to learn from the game to play it. But yet, hard to master.

I didn't rate ir with a
    10, because I still miss how the characters in Civ III changed their clothes as time passed (that was great). I mean, you can see in the old ages George Washington using his 1700's clothes. But this game totally worth buying. Expand
  74. Sep 7, 2013
    I found that Civilization V is a perfect game for anyone getting into the franchise or for long experience Civilization players, it is a great game to play for several days at a time with friends, or a quick game when you have the time. The only complaint I have is that the diplomacy factor in this game is a bit limited with very little options and Civilizations often attack you or demand land/resources for an unknown reason. Overall a very good game especially when played with a group of friends. Expand
  75. Oct 9, 2013
    Truly an exceptional strategy game. Many reviews of strategy games are done by very skilled players of the genre, the type who enjoy trying to conquer the game on the hardest difficulty. They often have quarrels with the games in the not hard enough AI, or some technical issues. But I am the opposite of that; my skills are unimpressive, yet I still found this game immensely enjoyable. New to the genre? Very little skill? Wanting to not have to think that hard but still play a decent game? Civilization V ticks all those boxes and though undoubtedly different from the older Civilizations and some people's expectations, it still excels as a strategy game for gamers on both ends of the skill spectrum. It is truly a great game that you will not regret buying at all. Expand
  76. Oct 16, 2013
    Civilization remains the ultimate pinnacle of the turn based strategy genre. This title introduced some significant changes from earlier civ incarnations, such as a hex-grid and no unit stacking. I believe this caused some lower user reviews amongst players who dislike change. However, I believe the combat tactics were only improved by this, on top of the overall rock-solid strategy and city building aspects of the game. Expand
  77. Oct 16, 2013
    I've always been a fan of the Civilization series and in my mind, this is the best in the series. I think that the new game mechanics are for the best. This is a great game and is extremely addicting. I love this game, and I hope you do too.
  78. Oct 27, 2013
    They have really improved on this installment, the hexagons are far superior to squares, the graphics look great, and it has endless replayibility. The best Civilization game I've played.
  79. Jan 6, 2014
    I'm no gamer but the fact that this game has me in a headlock definitely is noteworthy. It's so in depth and fun to play. The way it's set up makes it hard to grow tired of.
  80. Nov 6, 2013
    Graphics 10/10 The games runs very smoothly and was everything I come to expect from an next gen strategy game

Game play 10/10 Quite possibly the most addictive game I've ever played. There is so much replay value, I know I will be playing this for years to come.
  81. Nov 11, 2013
    With the God of Kings and the Brave New World expansion packs, Civ V is clearly the most fleshed-out game in its series. Civ V still holds the infinitely replayable value of the previous games, while introducing new and well-thought-out mechanics, like the overhauled combat system and the presence of the World Congress.
  82. Dec 7, 2013
    "Sid Meier's Civilization V" is one of the best turn-based strategy games. There are many hours of fun to be had in this with this game, it can bring out the competitive side in you. (which can be a good or a bad thing) There are many wonderful DLC and expansion packs witch add many civilizations and among things. You can play the game by your self or with your friends-but be warned the multiplayer games can take a longtime to complete-either will give you along fun game. Expand
  83. Dec 31, 2013
    As a beginner, I thrive on all the stuff you can do with the Gold package. I look forward to spending 100's of hours, before I even think about upgrading to the next package.
  84. Jan 25, 2014
    civ 5 is one of the best stategy games i ever played, so many things to do,so many things to try, this game a "must own" for every stategy gamers, even a guy like me who only like RTS and in the start i thuoght it sucks, but then i found out a great game.i give 10/10 i cant thinck on anything bad
  85. Feb 20, 2014
    Premise: I own and played every single Civ game since Civilization (1991) and I played over a thousand hours Civilization V. That doesn't mean I'm a good player, but it means that the longevity and replayability are priceless and unbeated.
    The first iteration of Civilization V was awful: easy, absent AI, bugged and unbalanced. The expansion Gods & King added religions and espionage,
    cleaning bugs (MANY) and finally building AI worth the challenge. The last expansion, Brave New World is really awesome: trading, united nations and ideologies and some good victories condition revamps. To this level, Civ 5 is really the best Civ I have ever played, obscuring even Civ 4 Beyond the Sword.
    Only two things missing: random events and pollution.
  86. Apr 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is very good, totally addictive and I can even say the best strategy game I know. I've always been a fan of this franchise and only in Civ. V have 17 hours of game-play, always more fun, became more simple and fun this release, and the expansions is even better, I have nothing to say to ruin this game, I follow the franchise since the Civ. III, has changed a lot, became less complicated and more fun, on-line mode is great, I always play with my friends, the matches are long and fun, to pass the time having a great time. Woe is my avaçiação about this game, I recommend to everyone! Expand
  87. Aug 18, 2014
    I play Civilization games since the 1, and liked every and each one. But the 5 is certainly my favorite. Graphics are great, sounds are great, AI is great (even if there is a big difference when the map is small islands, much easier to win then). The freedom to have mods developed is also great.

But what makes me like it above the others is how Culture is treated. This gives the game a
    great new side, you can make a civ that doesn't attack the others and still win the game. (Note: you need all the DLC installed for this to be true)

The no pile up rule is also a welcome aspect. In Civ4 it was easy to lost account of how many pieces you had on each square, so no more of this problem now. I only wanted the map scale to be bigger, so we could still have more pieces in battle at the same time, and more detail on pieces abilities on terrains.

Anyway Civ5 is great and I really like it. So much I already play it for 725 hours. And still struggling to win all the time on level King!
  88. Sep 8, 2014
    This review is a bit late considering Civilization Beyond Earth is being released in about a month but I feel it necessary to do anyway. Civilization V is THE best strategy game by far that I have ever played, watched, and heard of and that is an honest opinion. I have clocked in over 350 hours of game play utilizing every feature the game has to offer from each civilization, each difficulty, each scenario, and each map type multiple times. I have all of the downloadable content and I do not feel as if a penny i spent on this game was wasted. I wholeheartedly recommend this absolutely amazing game and all it has to offer from Gods and Kings to Brave New World and every civilization and map pack in between, I can not wait for Beyond Earth to be released so I can spend 300 more hours exploring it. This game is truly worth a good review. Expand
  89. Oct 23, 2010
    I already played on the Amiga Civ1 and can regard thus as a veteran. CIV became from everyone part appeared in my opinion worse. The play remained always equivalent only ever more unimportant things implentiert which I does not need and which obscure the play to have made (politics with different parties are not sowas of unnecessarily straight in the today's time where 90% of the people in politics to interestâ Expand
  90. Sep 23, 2010
    The newest Civilazation entry is yet an another awesome advance in the series. Everything is more streamlined, but the depth is not really sacrificed (other than the omission of religion and espionage...which in my opinion were among the weaker aspects of Civ IV). My only major complain is that the diplomacy options in this new Civ are poorly handled. Diplomacy with City States is very clear, and you know exactly where you stand with each of them. Diplomacy with other nations is a total mystery though...you have no idea how they feel about you, or others, and the interface is not as clear as other aspects of the game. Since this will no doubt be addressed in a future patch, and does not break the game in any way now, it is a negative but does not lower the games score too much. Out of the box this game is a 9, but some clever patches/expansions could push it to a 10. Definitely worth buying...a marathon civ session awaits! Expand
  91. Mar 14, 2012
    As background, I've played Civilization only since the 3rd, which was the one that turned me on to all turn-based games. The intro pooped on my computer, but I'm still running a dual core on a 32-bit OS, so I kind of expect things like that. Right clicking to move is a bit frustrating, was the first thing I noticed. I have played only at the Warlord (4) level so far - they are foolish, but not wholly incapable of taking advantage of your missteps. I think the "denouncement" feature is what drives a lot of the aggressive diplomacy in the AI - at one point after being denounced by a few major civs, every city-state on the continent declared war on me. What I truly enjoy is how the new and the old have been paired in this game. The concepts are true to the core of turn-based strategy - the hexagonal tiles paired with the decision to remove stacking units makes combat and assaults of cities much more engaging. Though it is a lot easier to defend cities from early barbarian attackers, It's also much harder to make impenetrable fortresses of your major cities in the later stages of the game - a proper siege is very possible using artillery and infantry. The new culture system coupled with the happiness and social policy system makes for interesting game choices. Happiness levels in your empire are entirely transparent, and there are many ways to adjust these levels through social policies which are funded by culture. The other thing I enjoy is the lack of universally expansionist AI. In previous titles, the enemy AI would pack their cities like sardines and aggressively nab resources by simply building a new city - even if it meant stifling that city's ability to expand beyond 6 or 7 population. However in Civ V, the AI avoids this and develops each city properly, allowing room for expansion - in one of my marathon/huge games, I still had room just beyond my borders to develop cities at year 1810. Beyond all the new features that have added to the depth of the gameplay, a few simple ones have made it turns go MUCH quicker. The "End Turn" button will be replaced by important prompts such as "Choose new Research" when you finish a tech on that turn, or "Unit needs orders" when a unit that isn't asleep or fortified has not expended its moves. This makes things a lot easier because instead of tediously browsing over a large battlefield, the game simply finds those units for you and prevents you from ending turn without giving them an order or telling them to wait/sleep/fortify - I'd be surprised if every turn-based game doesn't adopt this feature eventually. This review has been a haphazard collection of new features, but I'd like to say that I am very pleased with the game overall - it brought more new features to the game in a single expansion than many of the previous installments, and did so with a surprising amount of grace. This review might be a year and a half after release (time flies- next turn) but I think this is a major stepping stone for the Civilization series and look forward to its refinement in future titles. Expand
  92. Jun 1, 2012
    I'm just going to let it out that this is the first Civilization game I have ever played and you know what? I'm glad I played this first because I want to play the rest of the Civilization games and see how they evolved. Civilization V to a new comer like me is pure straight addiction. When I first played this game, I couldn't stop playing until it was 8 in the morning and I was starting to hallucinate from the lack of sleep. I was determined to build my empire, I wanted my enemies to burn for defying my empire and I wanted to get every single hexagon spaces for my cities. This game is so addictive that I try my best to avoid playing it. Getting my personal experience out of the way, I'm going to say how Civilization is from a new comer's perspective. I think this game is really good. I don't know how the previous Civilization games played or how their mechanics work or how good they were but I really like the turn based style of this game. The board game like nature of the game made me think harder than most strategy games and I also thought the overall mechanics of it was really deep. What I think is that this game is for people who are completely new or just being introduced to Civilization as I have seen some gameplay of the previous games and they look quite complicated, maybe even more complicated than this. I say if you want to be introduced to this franchise, check Civilization V out. I know I did. Expand
  93. Sep 23, 2010
    Civilization V is an excellent game in one of PC gaming's greatest franchises. As a longtime fan of the series, I was eagerly awaiting the release, and I'm pleased to say that while there is some room for improvement, the game's overall quality greatly exceeded my expectations. The change in combat systems, with the switch to hex tiles and elimination of the much-maligned Stack of Doom, is by far the game's greatest accomplishment, shoring up one of the franchise's two major historic problems. The other, sadly, still has some work yet needed; that being the ineffectiveness of the AI, especially in diplomatic situations. The worst example I've seen in gameplay so far was when a computer player on the opposite side of the continent declared war on me, never moved any units anywhere near me (and vice-versa), and twenty or so turns later offered a peace agreement with a sizable tribute despite no actual conflict ever occuring. But aside from AI foibles, and the rather steep system requirements, the game is a hit on all accounts. The same deliciously addictive ego-fluffer for the megalomaniac in all of us, all in a more inviting, user-friendly, and aesthetically pleasing package. Perfect for old fans and newbies alike. Expand
  94. Sep 26, 2010
    Civilization 5 is a great game and out does its previous installment in every way except for an iffy diplomacy system. The tech tree feels much more streamlined without dead end techs that feel worthless its less complicated but it's much better more often than not simpler is better. Lack of espionage, religion, and unhealthiness makes the game function better and I don't miss them. The combat system and map has improved the game fantastically and now warfare is actually fun which is a first for the series that alone is enough to overlook a few other flaws like a bland city state interaction system and rather wild and unpredictable AI (they play like a crazy human guy). Also the new culture use is genius and the new civics system is so much better than CIV 4. This isn't going to convert people who don't like the game but as it is its better than CIV 4 when it first came out and with expansions it will be the best in the series. Expand
  95. Oct 17, 2010
    I played Civ 1 through 3 but unfortunately missed 4 due to World of Warcraft. I'm glad I waited for Civ 5, what an upgrade on every level. Amazing graphics, combat is vastly superior, the interface is much improved and easier to use. I also haven't experienced a SINGLE glitch, crash or problem - its been SOLID. If you could name your multiplayer saves and if they had included end game videos, I'd give it a 10 for sure. Great job Sid, glad you're still at the top of your game. Expand
  96. Oct 26, 2010
    As a gamer whose played a few Civ games off and on, this iteration of Civ had me hooked from day one. Yes, there are some bugs, and some graphic issues but if you can look beyond that, you have a great game. Combat has been revised to be more strategic, no more stacks of death, you'll form lines, use range attacks and consider how you move your army. City-States add a new layer to the game, city management is made much easier through a better clearer interface and strategic resources become a catalyst towards waging war, rapid expansion, or trade. This is probably the most accessible Civ game to date but still retains the core of what makes Civ fun. Enjoy! Expand
  97. Jan 8, 2011
    A great CiV game, regardless of some minor bugs or issues, a must buy for any Strategy gamer.
  98. Jan 6, 2011
    One of the worst things about the gaming industry these years, specifically PC, requires you to have a much better system. Civilization V is one of those things that just requires a better computer. If your system is not up to date, well, Civ is going to be tough to play.
    Civilization is a wonderful game, etching out the grand scale of empire across millennia. It's your road, and your
    decision. Each civilization is complete in it's own, the worlds greatest superpowers (well, somewhat - never understood why the Songhai Empire was there when the Spain and Portugal were left out) are melded to your command. As time passes you will be attached to the empire you created. It is relieving. It wastes time. It is quite the game.
    Immersing game play is not short in Civilization V, you will go to war and you will live through peace, you will race to construct magnificent wonders that bolster your culture and other key importances. I will admit it was probably the poorest release game I've ever heard of, but the updates came (more may come) and the game is just golden for me. It's definitely a keeper.
  99. Jan 24, 2011
    i started with civ 2 and loved it. then civ 4 came and disapointed me. so i needed a pick-me up and civ 5 was the answere. the first game was so exiting. i love the diplomacy it makes the game revived after civ 4's failure in diplomacy. the combat system is great and fun it is not just #'s vs #'s. if you have less units you can win a war if you use terrain and uprades to your advantage. this is for REAL STRATEGY GAMERS that know how unlike the civ 4 freaks that have only played #4 and have no idea what strategy is. you need to use your noggin to win. fun and addicting. deserves alot more attention. Expand
  100. Nov 28, 2011
    Bought this in a Steam sale for $20 instead of the usual $50, and perhaps that inclines me to be more positive about the game than some people here, but I find this a rewarding and very addictive game. have not played Civilization games for many years (Civilization 2 was the last one I played) so I'm not comparing this to its predecessors.

To me this seems to strike a nice balance
    between playability and depth, and the automation features are a nice option to save you from some of the tedium of doing the same thing over and over again. Just automate those units you don't care about and focus on the units that are most important for your main strategy. You don't have to use the automation if you don't want to, so any "dumbing down" it brings is entirely optional.

It's fun without being too shallow, there's a fair amount of complexity to it, and it's challenging enough for me. I'm not a really hardcore strategy gamer so perhaps it's not for them and I can see why they might worry for the series if previous instalments were more complex, but it's still one of the best strategy games I have played.

1. Apr 3, 2011
    Despite my gripe with the animations in multiplayer, Civilization V is the perfect entry for the series' debut in the current generation of gaming.
  2. Jan 20, 2011
    We're just a little bit disappointed that this Civ evolution isn't as polished as we'd expected. [Issue#102, p.108]
  3. Jan 15, 2011
    An old franchise that knows who to evolve to adapt to modern times. Its latest new ideas might not be perfect, but serve the purpose of making the game even more interesting.