Sid Meier's Pirates! PC

8.3

1. GeorgeJungle
    Dec 1, 2004
    If you dont like this game your dead. kaput. rip. asleep, belly up, bloodless, breathless, buried, cadaverous, checked out, cold, cut off, deceased, defunct, departed, done for, erased, expired, extinct, gone, inanimate, inert, late, lifeless, liquidated, mortified, no more, not existing, offed, passed away, perished, reposing, rubbed out, snuffed out, spiritless, stiff, unanimated, washed up.
  2. S-P
    Oct 1, 2012
    Having just finished my umpteenth playthrough, I figure it's a good time to write a short review about this underrated gem.

I've been a gamer for over 20 years. A relatively passionate one, and not one to generally like strategic games as much as the more action-y titles. The first time I was introduced to Sid Meier's Pirates was with this 2004 remake, in 2004/2005. Played through it, loved it, and sort of forgot about it. Since then, though, I've felt the urge to play it again and again. Sometimes it's after a year, sometimes a year and a half. But it always happens. That is a rare quality in a game, as most titles you beat once and forget about afterwards.

It rarely happens with any game, and almost never with games that are this flawed. Pirates is repetitive, relatively shallow for a strategic game, and because it's rated E, it can be obnoxiously childish in tone as well. Plus some of the minigames are just downright tedious, the worst offender being ballroom dancing, that can luckily be skipped with a trainer.

But none of the flaws overshadow the fact that Sid Meier's Pirates is FUN. Bringing criminals to justice, forcing that one unfortunate nation off the face of earth (for me it's usually Spain or France), plundering ships and towns, creating the strongest pirate army the world has ever seen, and retiring a legend.. With a bit of imagination, your journey truly becomes legendary -- if not for anyone else, then at least for you. And that's what counts. You start playing, and suddenly, nine hours have passed, and you have to fight against speaking in a pirate "slang" if you manage to somehow exit the game and actually venture outside your apartment for long enough to actually meet real humans. Actual humans, who never seem to have appreciation the struggles us pirates go through during the days after the game again draws you back for a new playthrough.

And it will, faults and all. For me, Sid Meier's Pirates wasn't all THAT special when I first played it. But during the years, it's slowly brought itself up from behind, and joined the five games that I can honestly say I've loved during the 20-some years I've been around video games. A feat that almost rivals my latest career as a pirate, having retired as a 36 year old Governor of Campeche, with 180640 gold pieces, 37650 acres of land and a beautiful wife.

I did everything that can be done in the game.. Except I only found eight hidden treasures. Which is undoubtedly something I will have to surpass on my next playthrough, in a year or so.
  3. TJ
    Dec 8, 2007
    If this game were a real pirate ship, it'd be a Ship of the Line! A solid update for a gaming classic. I played the original when it came out 20 years ago (yes, I'm that old), and it's every bit as fun now as it was back then. You can't really go wrong with a game brought to you by the same folks who made Civilization.
  4. RhettM.
    Mar 15, 2007
    Nice Fun Game, lots of quests to be done, fighting is a little repetitive. An overall fun game.
  5. Oct 23, 2010
    This is how computergaming should be. You'll play for an hour, and when you finish, you discover 6 hours have past. It's oldish but the gameplay is so much fun, albeit frustrating at times. One can easily tell how much fun the developers had, when they created the game. Not without flaws, but by far the best pirates-game I know of. Uaaargh, ya lubbers.
  6. Atebash
    Feb 4, 2005
    If there was one game that deserved to be remade, then it's Pirates! Fortunately, Sid Meier didn't change anything from the original concept and made yet another game classic. Curse you Sid, I lost weeks of my life... again! ;)
  7. NiklasB.
    Dec 5, 2004
    I've spent more or less three days playing this great remake. In my opinon the best remake ever... I must admit I had my doubts in the beginning since remakes seldom turn out greater than the original. I enjoyed the original Pirates in my youth and consider it the best game ever made (if you consider what was possible "computerwise" when the original Pirates! was released)... Now... I've spent more or less three days playing this great remake. In my opinon the best remake ever... I must admit I had my doubts in the beginning since remakes seldom turn out greater than the original. I enjoyed the original Pirates in my youth and consider it the best game ever made (if you consider what was possible "computerwise" when the original Pirates! was released)... Now... back to the remake. I agree that the game will not appeal to everyone, however Pirates! fans will adore it. It has everything you can wish for: Strategy, action, open ended you name... The only thing that did not appeal to me at all was the dancing... There is however a very easy way around it "...pause..." Since you want to be able to break young govenors daughters hearts or marr y them. It's all up to you... Which by the way is the spirit of this great game. See you on the open sea! Cheers Expand
  8. KurtS.
    Nov 29, 2004
    I loved the first one and love this one as well. i could have given it a 9, but well, it's tough to differentiate between the first one and this one, in a way... but i think it's a great update.
  9. Apr 6, 2012
    I have a love/hate relationship with this game. After every playthrough, I set it down declaring I will never play it again due to its repetitive gameplay. However, it seems, I can't help myself from coming back for just one more game. I would have assumed it was some sort of temporary charm from nostalgia, but the fact that I can't quit until I finish the entire thing again saysI have a love/hate relationship with this game. After every playthrough, I set it down declaring I will never play it again due to its repetitive gameplay. However, it seems, I can't help myself from coming back for just one more game. I would have assumed it was some sort of temporary charm from nostalgia, but the fact that I can't quit until I finish the entire thing again says otherwise. I'll easily concede that this isn't the freshest game on the market, but its excellent design, charming music and strong tone keep it as one of the contenders for my favorite game of all time. Expand
  10. Jun 13, 2012
    Gets an instant 10/10 for being the best pirate game ever made (don't believe those "Monkey Island" purists). The difficulty can be changed *while playing*. This is awesome! If you find you're having too easy a time plundering you can divide the loot and up the difficulty. Higher difficulty settings grant you access to different items to help you in your piracy and new quests. YourGets an instant 10/10 for being the best pirate game ever made (don't believe those "Monkey Island" purists). The difficulty can be changed *while playing*. This is awesome! If you find you're having too easy a time plundering you can divide the loot and up the difficulty. Higher difficulty settings grant you access to different items to help you in your piracy and new quests. Your reflexes get slower with age, making swashbuckling duels tougher. There's all kinds of nice details like this waiting for you AFTER sinking everything French stops being "fun" and starts to feel more like "community service". All I can say is play it. Expand
  11. Dec 27, 2010
    I have been playing this game on and off for about five years now, and it I still love it. It's probably the second greatest RPG ever made. The story is pretty dumb, and the graphics aren't THAT great (but decent) and the sounds are fairly low quality at some points, but the sheer fun and addiction of the gameplay surpasses all of that. The main problem with the game however, is that isI have been playing this game on and off for about five years now, and it I still love it. It's probably the second greatest RPG ever made. The story is pretty dumb, and the graphics aren't THAT great (but decent) and the sounds are fairly low quality at some points, but the sheer fun and addiction of the gameplay surpasses all of that. The main problem with the game however, is that is never really fresh. Once you have completed about three different quests or so, you've completed every quest in the game since every quest is practically the exact same thing. Expand
  12. TimK.
    Dec 7, 2004
    Excellent remake of the original Pirates! The world "fun" sums up this treasure. If you play games for "fun", you will like this game. Actually, I like this game even better than the original. How many remakes can you say that about?
  13. CameronS
    Jun 23, 2009
    This is the only game that has entertained me throughout my entire life. Its free roaming, swashbuckling world help create an amazing game that will stand the test of time.
  14. HansL.
    Mar 13, 2006
    It's an amazing game. With excellent free-roaming capabitlies, Pirates is definitely up there with the greats.
  15. Sep 22, 2013
    Many hours of great Entertainment Feels like a piratmovie of the 50s but you are the maincharakter.
    This game has everything a good pirat RPG-Adventure needs.
    Only con is the clumsy gameplay.
  16. EricW.
    Jan 7, 2008
    Great remake of the original. Updated with better gfx, and more fights and quests. Really really fun game!
  17. Kill3r7
    Oct 30, 2006
    I played this game at my mates and thought it was absolutely amazing. I spent ages looking for and I'm pleased I found it for the PC.
  18. John
    Feb 5, 2007
    I just bought the game, installed it and jumped right in. Easy to play, fun and addicting. Before I knew it, midnight came around and had to stop playing it. Fun game
  19. Jun 15, 2012
    I enjoyed the original back in the old days, and this has everything that makes a good and enjoyable remake. It's been improved in all the rigth places (graphics and so on), the game mechanics have been reworked while retaining the spirit of the original.

Hours and hours of good solid entertainment.
  20. Jul 17, 2014
    This has been one of my favorite games for years, and it runs great on steam. You pick a nationality (which you can then blatantly ignore if you choose), board a ship and enter an open world pirate game with replayability rivaling any other game on the market. You can climb the list of greatest pirates on the sea, follow the main story or side missions, pillage cities, earn ranks inThis has been one of my favorite games for years, and it runs great on steam. You pick a nationality (which you can then blatantly ignore if you choose), board a ship and enter an open world pirate game with replayability rivaling any other game on the market. You can climb the list of greatest pirates on the sea, follow the main story or side missions, pillage cities, earn ranks in different nations militaries by killing rivals, whatever you wish. All this of course while maintaining a fleet, an increasingly agitated crew and trying not to get thrown in prison.

I always love picking a nation and not stopping until every city carries their flag, but you pick how you want to play. I have over 1500 hours into this game across different platforms, accounts and I've bought it multiple times throughout the years (though with steam I never have to again!) and all I can say is, buy it.
  21. Nov 20, 2014
    Yesterday I played Assassins Creed first time. I cried because this game was awful.
    Yesterday I played Sid Meier's Pirates! first time. I cried because this game was awesome.
  22. DukeSanT.
    Jan 13, 2005
    Pirates! surpasses the 1993 remake and at last captures the glory (the absolute glory) of the 1987 original, which I consider to this day the greatest game ever made for the PC (with Civilization I & II a close second). I
  23. Aug 23, 2011
    Pirates is a great game fora nice long time and has a high replay value. What the other reviewers say is mostly true however, it gets very repetitive after extended amounts of play time. This is corrected however by raising the difficulty level! I found Journeyman difficulty much more exciting and rewarding than Apprentice, I think raising the difficulty level even once can make the gamePirates is a great game fora nice long time and has a high replay value. What the other reviewers say is mostly true however, it gets very repetitive after extended amounts of play time. This is corrected however by raising the difficulty level! I found Journeyman difficulty much more exciting and rewarding than Apprentice, I think raising the difficulty level even once can make the game last hours more. The graphics are a bit outdated at this point, and the story is rather bland, but its certainly worth the 10$ it is on Steam! Expand
  24. May 20, 2016
    I have played this on PC and on the PSP, and I can say this was one of my favorite games growing up. I have played countless hours on this game and I have to say it is an amazing game overall. I will also note that when I play this on windows 10, there are some occasional graphical glitches, however the game is still playable, and it doesn't seem to effect anything other than the visuals.
  25. Jul 10, 2015
    Firaxis at its best. A fantastic reboot of the original Pirates! game. Everything is there from the original and more (sneaking and dancing minigames). You get a great, stereotypical and "kid friendly" pirate adventure with good replay value. The graphics and effects are just right for the theme. The story missions can get repetitive over time. I wish for an update around 2018.

Won't appeal to everyone, but if you're nostalgic for the original or like unstructured and open-ended games, this booty is well worth seeking. Yarrr!
  2. There's really only one word to describe Sid Meier's Pirates! and that's 'charming'. The excellent presentation, clever gameplay design and exquisite pacing mark it out as a unique and well thought out game. It's full of confidence and style, eager to impress and even if it won't keep you playing for months on end, is bound to provide an enjoyable experience while it lasts.
  3. Its huge open-endedness does an excellent job of establishing the proper atmosphere while the balance of combat and economy produces a quality strategy title. It does, however, have its problems. Open-ended gameplay can lead to a lack of focus, and this game is very light on tutorial, how-to material which creates a somewhat larger than average learning curve; preventing me from recommending Pirate's to all gamers as a whole.