Silent Hill 3 PC

8.8

1. Oct 18, 2015
    This is my third review for a Silent Hill game and as I mentioned before I played the original one back in 2000 and have been following the franchise until it died early this year. This game once again is good but not the best SH game the reasons are the following, I will start with the story, it is basically the continuation of SH 1 it starts years later when Cherly grows up and changesThis is my third review for a Silent Hill game and as I mentioned before I played the original one back in 2000 and have been following the franchise until it died early this year. This game once again is good but not the best SH game the reasons are the following, I will start with the story, it is basically the continuation of SH 1 it starts years later when Cherly grows up and changes her name to Heather for safety reasons but they are finally found despite that. Cheryl (Heather) is a teen with an attitude and know it all complex, thats very much what the story is about, her fighting off the sect, it's probably one of the worst storylines of all the Silent Hill franchise but not bad as a whole if you played the first SH the story will make more sense Story 7/10. Now the music and sounds the includes voice acting, the music and sounds as usual are excellent, they fit every scenario and situation you can even hear specific sounds when steping in different textures such as rug or concrete. The voice acting is way better than the prequels but that doesn't nessesarly make it better since Heather has an attitude and most of the voice acting sounds cheesy either way sound has a 10/10. Graphics are great in this game the monster look way better than the prequels, boss fights are way more interesting and the transitions to otherworld are more common, this game got this right unlike SH2, the scenarios and whole atmosphere are just scary as hell, they scare as much as SH1 and at times even more. In PC version maxing out the settings this game looks as great as any modern 2015 game, Graphics 10/10. Controls and gamplay the game is very short and the it lacks more outdoor areas that prequels included, it plays and controls very much like it's prequels I do like the way the menu looks like, they improved the menu and the controls feel a bit tighter but not as much it plays and controls very much like its predecessors Control and gameplay 9/10. Final veredict 9/10 despite that it's probably the shortest game and lacks more outdoor areas. it still has arguably the scariest graphics of the SH franchise and the best sound music, what really hurts this game is the poor storyline and the know it all attitude of the main char Heather, not to mention the game is really short, these factors make SH3 not the best in the franchise but not bad at all, this game got everything the other didn't get right except for the storyline. Probably the second or third best game, I feel it's on par with SH2. Expand
  2. May 24, 2015
    Simply terrifying. Silent Hill 3 is the third installment in the critically acclaimed survival horror franchise, and, needless to say, it lives up to it's namesake. From the grungy, rusty filled environments to the absolutely horrifying enemies, this game will scare you. But there's more to it than that. The game uses it's genius sound design to create an incredibly tense atmosphere,Simply terrifying. Silent Hill 3 is the third installment in the critically acclaimed survival horror franchise, and, needless to say, it lives up to it's namesake. From the grungy, rusty filled environments to the absolutely horrifying enemies, this game will scare you. But there's more to it than that. The game uses it's genius sound design to create an incredibly tense atmosphere, making the player feel very jumpy and isolated. The few people you do come across are almost exclusive to cutscenes, and are only used to further the story, and my what a story it is. Filled with weird characters with even weirder dialogue, an ancient cult related to Silent Hill, and a strange symbol that makes the protagonist's head hurt, the story will compel you to keep on through the dangerous environments. Speaking of our protagonist, here we have Heather. Heather is a teenage girl who lives in a town near Silent Hill with her dad. The story begins in a normal, everyday mall. Everything seems normal until the place is deserted and monsters start appearing. Thus, Heather is whisked away into the nightmare of her life. Personally, I really liked Heather. She may come off as kind of rude at first, but if you give it some time, you'll see she's just an unhappy teen in a horrible situation, and you'll start to sympathize with her as she encounters more and more new threats. The gameplay boils down to exploration, combat, and puzzles. The exploration element continues the formula from the last 2 games. You check all the doors, find the one that isn't locked, find items and supplies, use items to solve puzzles, and advance to the next area. You might feel that the formula starts to spread thin after a while, but the game does try to keep things fresh with challenging puzzles and new enemies. Speaking of which, the enemies in the game are fittingly scary, and also quite loud. From the double heads to the loud breathing nurses to the massive closers, there are many monsters Heather will encounter along her journey. There are 2 ways to deal with monsters: fighting them, or running away. Monsters, conveniently, won't follow you to a new area, even if there's no door, and they're pretty difficult and admittedly unwieldy to fight, so your best bet is to run. The developers definitely intended for you to do this, as none of the weapons are really all that powerful (unless you're playing on easy), and ammo is very limited. In the rare instance that you have or it's easier to fight enemies to progress (like in the subway), the melee combat can be frustrating, especially when enemies knock you down, and the guns can be hard to aim. However, since this is a rare instance, it doesn't horribly detract from the game as a whole. There are also boss fights, which are mostly straightforward. All of these fights have pretty simple strategies that you'll catch on to pretty quickly, though on the higher difficulties these fights can be very challenging due to minor combat issues and less health. As a result, these fights probably won't leave too big of an impact (except for the final boss, of course) and won't really affect your overall experience too much. What will affect your experience, however, is the sometimes awkward camera. The angles it gives you are fine, and navigating environments poses no problems thanks to tank controls which prevent your character from accidentally heading in the wrong direction when the angle changes, but controlling it can be a task in and of itself, and it sometimes doesn't give you a very good view of the action. Luckily, enemies attack pretty slow for the most part, so you should have plenty of time to escape getting damaged. This is a good thing because enemies do a lot of damage on Normal and higher. If you aren't careful, you can find yourself low on health pretty quickly, and health items, as with all supplies, are limited on higher difficulties. Overall, Silent Hill 3 is a brilliant example of what can be done with Survival Horror. Engaging, challenging, and above all absolutely terrifying in all respects, Silent Hill 3 is an excellent entry in the series, and an excellent Survival Horror game. Expand
  3. Jun 20, 2014
    The ports pretty good. It allows higher resolutions and higher texture quality than the console version right off the bat. Besides the inferior fog, the clunky controls, the response time of said controls, and the framerate issue- it play much like its console counterpart.

"Framerate issue?" You may ask. Game can't decide if it wants to play at 30 or 60 frames per second.

"Framerate issue?" You may ask.

Game can't decide if it wants to play at 30 or 60 frames per second. Constantly jumps between the two no matter how beastly you computer is.

I didn't notice it as much years ago, but I always thought something seemed off about the gameplay and the movement of Heather- especially in monster combat situations. At this point I'll probably find a Playstation 2 copy and play it through emulation or the actual console itself. Hard to believe every release since the original has actually butchered more and more the games original presentation though.
  4. Nov 16, 2013
    I never cam across a Silent Hill that i didnt like. Hope til this day, 2013 in november, that silent hill series keeps going and wont stop. I play this game mostly to reminisce to, i use to play it 10 years ago when i was only 8 or 9. I will always have this game on my shelf, same version for pc and ps2 sitting right next to number 4 until i die.
  5. Nov 1, 2013
    A great powerful world and a great immersive environment. The graphic design is a real revolution and the sound design just perfect. A pur survial horror.
  6. Sep 14, 2010
    If you get to know that this game released the same year that Max Payne 2 came out, the control and camera might feel pretty frustrating to you as a PC game. But the thing is, it was originally designed for PS2, and another thing is, that if the camera were free to move, it wouldn't have been so scary. You know everytime you turn around a corner, the atmosphere reaches its highest tide.If you get to know that this game released the same year that Max Payne 2 came out, the control and camera might feel pretty frustrating to you as a PC game. But the thing is, it was originally designed for PS2, and another thing is, that if the camera were free to move, it wouldn't have been so scary. You know everytime you turn around a corner, the atmosphere reaches its highest tide.

Combat can be problematic at times and AI is very random; however, using whatever method to avoid being attacked and never stopping running is the point of this game.

The excellence of its story is hard to figure out and to appreciate within just one or two playthroughs. At first it seems dumb, but after you got the true story hidden behind those little ingame details, you will find it excessively scary and haunting.

Some of the best puzzles also happen here, backed up by amazing graphics (and the visual was revolutionary, and oddly it still looks stunning by today's standards). Better compatibility than SH2 as well.
  7. JohnR.
    Jul 3, 2009
    The story and gameplay aren't as great as in Silent Hill 2, but the graphics and the atmosphere make up for it. Silent Hill 3 is still one of the scariest expeiences a PC gamer can get. But I highly recommend playing it with a gamepad. This really makes this game a lot more enjoyable.
  8. ChrisK.
    May 30, 2006
    Spine-tingling and uplifting, Silent Hill 3 is unlike any horror game I have ever played before. The environments are done beautifully and every event in game was done well. Don't expect action and nothing but violence, expect horror and puzzling mayhem.
  9. VonL.
    Jul 7, 2004
    this game really rocks try this game and you will feel a different experience...
  10. AdisM.
    Jun 29, 2004
    Excellent game, but original is original...
  11. Jen
    Feb 1, 2004
    I'm not easily scared by games or movies, but I slept with the light on after playing this game.
  12. MartinY.
    Jan 11, 2004
    Nice graphics, thats the only good thing in this 'port'. I agree with Darius L. the controls and camera view sucks! I haven't tried it with a gamepad (i dont have a gamepad). Silent Hill is a pretty nice game though, in PS2.
  13. AlanD.
    Jan 6, 2004
    Years ago, the playstation "Resident evil" delivered a survival horror game that was unlike anything before. It set the standard, and this game has not raised it. The graphics are what I would expect in this day of high-end computers, but the most important thing in any game is the gameplay. If you are not easily spooked, or are desensitized, this game gets a bit boring - dodge the Years ago, the playstation "Resident evil" delivered a survival horror game that was unlike anything before. It set the standard, and this game has not raised it. The graphics are what I would expect in this day of high-end computers, but the most important thing in any game is the gameplay. If you are not easily spooked, or are desensitized, this game gets a bit boring - dodge the monsters, solve puzzles. In terms of gameplay, there is nothing new. It's still a good game, and if you are easily scared it is well worth a look. Expand
  14. MasoodN.
    Jan 6, 2004
    This game is Revolutionary . Best Graphic you have ever seen .
  15. DariusL.
    Dec 16, 2003
    Controls and camera view is awful also monsters look shapless, somebody forgot to finish them everything else is good but i won't be playing it just because of uncomfortable control.
  16. PIRANHA
    Dec 14, 2003
    Os cabroes desta pagina nao sabem criticar esta beleza.
  17. OctavioR.
    Dec 8, 2003
    I must agree with Lolio; the critics of this site HAVE NO IDEA. The game is not only about the controls, or how scary the monsters are...the game is more like a novel, one that you can interact with, it adds very Psycho, scary and/or creepy features (This, and all of the previous games are much scarier than any RE). The game is excelent from the very beginning: the ambientation, the I must agree with Lolio; the critics of this site HAVE NO IDEA. The game is not only about the controls, or how scary the monsters are...the game is more like a novel, one that you can interact with, it adds very Psycho, scary and/or creepy features (This, and all of the previous games are much scarier than any RE). The game is excelent from the very beginning: the ambientation, the music, the characters, the voices, the sounds, the visual efects. There is NOTHING repetitive at all, if you think so is because you kept walking in circles; this game has some variety of scenarios that kept me sticked to the computer until I finished it. Among the many things it has, the best feat is the story. God, they should make a novel or a movie! The PC version has some issues with the controls, though. Nevertheless, it is not something that you can't get used to. It's true that once you finished this game you wouldn't want to play it again, but I don't know any other of this genre that would make anyone play it again, except for new weird-weapons or clothes...it's all the same. I'd rate this version of the game for the PC with 9.8 because of the control issue, but besides that it si, in fact the best game ever (or best trilogy ever). Expand
  18. OctavioR.
    Dec 8, 2003
  19. HansenM.
    Dec 4, 2003
    Great Game
  20. Lolio
    Dec 2, 2003
    LPP: La Puta Poya. Los criticos de esta pagina no tienen ni idea ^^.
  21. JavierS.
    Nov 23, 2003
    El mejor juego q existe, en la atmosfera en la cual logra meterte es realmente espectacular, pra mi el mejor juego q existe!
  22. PatrikD.
    Nov 22, 2003
    Best game ever.
  23. MartinL.
    Nov 12, 2003
    El mejor juego que existe.
  24. MartinL.
    Nov 12, 2003
    El mejor juego que existe.
  25. FedericoR.
    Sep 19, 2003
    Excellent Game, no comments.
  26. KobiT.
    Sep 17, 2003
    I just about peed in my pants. If you want to have your heart come out of your chest and sit in your lap laughing at you because you are scared of a game...go ahead and play.
  27. Nov 1, 2013

1. Computer Gaming World
    You'll frequently dodge the oafish enemies instead of fighting. [Mar 2004, p.84]
  2. But raising the levels of difficulty for both will not only make the game hard to play, as the rewards you can gain make up for that. Finishing the game on various levels of difficulty again, you can obtain various bonus weapons and even a bonus ending.
  3. Need I remind you that Silent Hill 2 failed to deliver a truly lasting horror experience on the PC. To our disappointment Silent Hill 3 doesn't expand on that aspect any further.