• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Mar 15, 2005
7.7

1. Apr 16, 2011
    I don't get it!

Whatever these reviewers are smoking to give this an average score of 90- I want some!

Mind numbingly boring is the only way to describe this.
  2. Apr 29, 2014
    I got a glimpse of the game through the academy tutorial, which looked interesting. After that, couldn't see much more.

I launched the career and started in Kiel. First assignment was to get to some area in North Sea. Alright, so I leave the doc filled with people waving us goodbye. Bye bye! After some time sailing out the harbour, then toward the Nord-Ostsee canal, I I tried to

After some time sailing out the harbour, then toward the Nord-Ostsee canal, I I tried to increase the time compression. Not that I don't appreciate the landscapes, but I was eager to get into the real thing. Unfortunately, It wouldn't let me get above 4. I suspect because I was close to the shore. At one point, we passed another ship, for which time I could get to 32x. Once it was too far, back to 4x (not really logical, but well...).

So I don't know how long it took in real time to cross the canal, but at least it was a game which let me practice my guitar.
    After about 30 minutes, and 1/3 way in the canal, i had other things to do, so I saved and quit.

I should have known better. Next time, trying to load my save... Loading screen.. and crash.
    Damned. Try again, same thing.
    30 minutes sailing gone to waste.
    Ok, I try to load the start save in the harbour... Same crash.
    Try to start the career over ? Same. Delete it and create a new one ? Just crash.

Sailing the forums for solutions, at least one thing appeared, crashes are a quite common thing with this game. Especially, I read you mustn't save while a boat is in sight, or the game will crash on next load.
    Wha-- ??
    Wait a minute, you can't save if there's a boat in sight ? In a friggin submarine game ? No wonder it wouldn't load my harbour save! How could Ubisoft quality control let this kind of problem out?? If I was playing a game about guiding camels in the desert, I could be ok with a such a rare circumstance. But this is a naval battle game goddamnit.

1 because the few I saw of the game was interesting. Still, it was 6 wasted dollars.

Definitely worth the wait. The campaign is fantastic and the overall presentation is a sim fan's dream.
  2. You will be able to control almost every single aspect of what went on during World War II campaigns to see if you have what it takes to be a good commander and stay alive.
  3. It lets you feel like you are a submarine captain in charge of a powerful but fragile U-boat, it provides a sobering history lesson, and the campaign makes you feel like you are a small but important part of a much larger conflict. Those are the hallmarks of a truly great simulation.