3.8

1. Nov 15, 2013
    To be honest every so called improvement that made it to this overpriced steals even more space on the by far too small city tiles. There are still no bigger cities possible, no terraforming etc. Those supertowers are bugged as hell (at least here shows Maxis/EA consequent "design"). The Sims living in the tower complain about no jobs and no shopping. Right above them is a shopping complex which complains about having no customers. And right above the shopping complex is an office complex which complain about not having any employees. Those 3 problems are in one single building. This was only one example. The AI in this game is so pathetic that Maxis/EA obviously chose the greedy easy way to squeeze even more money out of a completely ruined franchise. The game that Klimax32 must be a different one than SimCity: Cities of Tomorrow (better title: SimCity: now even worse), or he is paid by EA. Please people, don't buy this steaming piece of crap! Expand
  2. Nov 12, 2013
    So let me get this straight. I buy the expansion, then I have to restart my launcher twice, then I get a horrible unskippable cutscene (their terrible promotional trailer is actually an unskippable intro cutscene, too!), only to find it's the same horrible, dreadful, nearly unplayable game with a few extra building types that don't do much.
  3. Nov 24, 2013
    Looking at this on its own there are some interesting new additions to play with. The mega towers look very cool and a futuristic city adds some nice variety from the normal plain building aesthetics. However there is simply not enough new content or any real changes to the game to warrant a $30 price tag in my opinion. If they had increased city sizes or taken out the DRM then maybe it would be more worthwhile. As it stand this is just a glorified DLC pack that only highlights the problems with such small cites spaces. Save your cash and wait for a sale. Expand
  4. Nov 24, 2013
    Ok enough. EA WE'RE SICK OF YOU! You're destroying development studios, filling them with bad critics related to your need of money. Want to make money? EXPANSION PACK! Want bigger maps? EXPANSION PACK! Want mods? DLC! S*** EA! Stop!
  5. Nov 27, 2013
    EA yet again continues with bad business practices by not listening to their fan base. No bigger maps, no realistic building, no subway, highways, etc. DO NOT SUPPORT THIS GAME!!!
  6. Nov 13, 2013
    I thought this was a good expansion that added some real depth to the simulation of the city and delivered some of that original SimCity trial-and-error experience. On the surface you would be forgiven for thinking the additions were just cosmetic, but in fact they add new dimensions to building up your city and are somewhat interdependent. Transitioning my vanilla city to megatowers was not as easy as I thought it would be and there were some precarious moments where my economy went into a freefall deathspiral requiring quick intervention. You have to carefully plan your towers because once you have built a level you cannot change it unless you demolish all the levels above it, and you are limited to 8 megatowers with 8 levels each on a given map. There are lots of choices as to what you can put in a megatower which gets you thinking in a new dimension other than planning zones.

At the same time you can convert your industry to OmegaCo, however this requires expensive Oil, Ore and Processors to keep running, and unless you have a strong industry a venture into this project can quickly sink your city but the potential profits make you want to try nonetheless.

The Academy gives you a good reason to have wealthy residents (which you could almost make do without before), as you need them to keep your ControlNet running and you can unlock lots of research projects that improve the things you can do with Omega and Megatowers.

The downside to all this is that before you really had to think about what the 'character' of your city was going to be. Was it going to be an industry-heavy city, or a research city or just a suburb for the wealthy, whereas now your city wants to be all those things. Sure you can have your cake and you can eat it, but the problem is that once you have built your first super-city of the future you are unlikely going to want to do it all over again just to get the same outcome.

Overall this does what an expansion pack should do, it will bring you back to the game for a while and breathe some new life into it. Unfortunately the patient is still frail, and I doubt I will still be playing this in two weeks.
  7. Dec 12, 2013
    I am sorry but E.A. has ruined one of my FAVORITE games of all time. I cannot believe they continue to get away with the sheer disregard for producing quality games. PLEASE people do not support this game. If had the pleasure of playing SimCity when Maxis and Will were in charge you will feel the same way too. I love all the simcites prior to Socieities and Simicty 5. They ruined the Sims. To them its more about money than it is having people enjoy a good quality game. We love simcity for the sheer enjoyment of allowing our imaginations and design run wild. Well they nerfed that in this game. I would play Cities XL over this and Cities XL is riddled with bugs!! Expand
  8. Nov 23, 2013
    I will not buy, and I encourage you all to avoid buying any game with a DRM that forces you to be online. We have been asking them for a long time now to stop doing this, but they will never listen, so I will never buy their products.
  9. Nov 23, 2013
    Putting out an expansion pack without addressing the flaws of the original, is in my book, and epic fuk up.
    I am disgusted by EA, and have been for quite some time. Make the damn thing work, without bugs!!
    Increase the size of the cities, and stop concentrating on DLC, and expansions before the core game works properly!!
  10. MyT
    Nov 29, 2013
    Don´t suport this game!
    we want the real maxis! not this money maker DLC´s, DRM games and etc.
    Please people, don't suport this kind of games or they will become more and more normal
  11. Dec 18, 2013
    With the main game still broken disconnections and losing cities still a common event. All the restrictions are still in place tiny cities and always on DRM that is to say the very least temperamental then this expansion pack (ahem really calling it an expansion pack with this little content?) is to coin a phrase "polishing a turd".

It does help balance the game for single
    players (i.e 95% of the community) by making cities viable as specialists meaning you could consider some of the larger worlds with multiple cities as dispersed "city like2 structures as opposed to playing in the small villages the game offers as standard.

But this is a patch worth of improvement barely worth $4.99 as a download only DLC. The pretty new graphics are incongruous to say the least and I would rather they weren't there at all. They don't overlay every structure and are so stylized and "niche". A 50's style view of the future maybe? Don't know but I don't like it.

Very poor. For the game to now be over 9 months old with the same main issues it had at launch day speaks volumes for how much EA give a damn about this franchise's loyal player base. Back to Cities in Motion 2 and Sim City 4 for me.

This is overpriced. Too little too late and leaves the major errors firmly in place.
  12. Dec 22, 2013
    The idea is actually pretty fun, sadly it doesn't deliver. The big additions to the game are mega towers (their answer to not expanding the city size). Omega. An addictive substance that causes mass pollution and The Academy; a place for research. Really, once you have tried those, there is not much else. Omega is especially one of those things you need to dedicate most of a city to. The footprints for the mega towers are so enourmous that they become hard to find spaces for. Especially in some of Sim City's already cramped maps. And there are the bugs. Bugs that have existed since release are still around. Despite it supposedly being patched, I still watch various trucks try to deliver to the same place. Mega towers seem to cause everything to wildly fluctuate in a way that doesn't make sense. Even if you have enough to support it. Overall not enough was fixed or added for me to want to play with what the majority of this expansion adds on a regular basis. Expand
  13. Nov 15, 2013
    I've played Simcity since release through the ups and downs. Simcity got better over time, is playable, and fun to play. The expansion; Cities of Tomorrow adds a lot fo the game. First off the mega towers are awesome. You can add residents, offices, malls, parks, a school, and other things. Commuters come and go from the tower which is fun to watch. There are some bugs or confusion on different aspects of the towers, but nothing game breaking. The graphics got a nice upgrade. You can even carry the new monorail looking thing (train tracks above the ground) to non COT cities if you own the expansion by buying control net from your COT cities. They really did a good job with this expansion. Expand
  14. Dec 2, 2013
    This expansion is small DLC for full exp price, to already broken game. I think EA cannot be serious about this cash in released in beta state. Old Sim City was legendary game but this is out of control. Stop Raping Sim City franchise.
  15. Nov 12, 2013
    There is tons of new content, such as OmegaCo which creates a whole new way of playing, they buy your houses making profit from them. The Academy also has a lot of cool new features. But it is overprice.
  16. Nov 13, 2013
    After putting 120 hours into the "Vanilla" Simcity, I must say this expansion is the fo sho. After a fascinating and informative cutscene that cleverly explains the new features clearly, (AND IS ALWAYS SKIPPABLE, not sure why GwionBach provides that misinformation) I was ingame creating "New Vegas" with zero server instability whatsover. NO VANILLA NIGHTMARES haha!

With a fresh city,
    you'll quickly discover the futuristic parks transform all nearby territory including buildings and roads, making them look neon and sweet. Maxis once again did a stellar job with the futuristic art concepts and graphics. Updates abound and traffic is less of a problem, your sims seem to sleep at night, leaving the roads available for whatever service trucks you having running around.

The expansion feels more mission and morality based this time around, greed is actually technologically advantageous and fuels your cities with profit, but at some insidious costs later on. Green technology is the other avenue you're invited to explore, but at the burdon of being expensive and timely to research. Play this Yin/Yang correctly and the possibility is there to create a sim Utopia. Worth mentioning is this expansions feels MORE DIFFICULT, I've failed my first few cities so far on the desert-schemed Desolation map, but am still hopeful because of regional benefits of the failed cities!

The mega-towers are sweet, you can customize them to suite your current sim needs. All the futuristic upgrades are satisfying always with that Maxis charm since playing SimCity on the Super Nintendo.

Awesome graphics, enhanced futuristic sound track, smart and applicable future concepts, stable servers, and a more cerebral experience overall, this game is worth the money, and forces you to think strategically, and resourcefully. Good luck.
  17. Nov 14, 2013
    I've just ended my first play with the expansion pack for Sim Cities. In my opinion it ads a lot of what I as a fan want form Sim City. The mega structures, the cool tech and the neon lights. Its what i wanted....
    But in the original game! It bugs me that this expansion is so expensive, and that I by buying it actually give in to EA and their blatant disrespect for their gamers.
    All inn
    all a good buy, but if you want to keep your morals intact steer clear. Expand
  18. Nov 15, 2013
    There is a ton of new content which is a blast to play. They have solved some of the issues like having police/fire drones which don't have to sit in traffic. Mega Towers create a much easier way to manage your population/jobs numbers. Overall it was definitely worth the price of the expansion. Now granted, I am one of those people that would love to see bigger cities but the lead developer did post and say that they had a team working on it and it wasn't feasible because the majority of peoples computers wouldn't be able to run it. I can understand that because there is a LOT of animation in the game for each building. So, I'm chalking the smaller city thing up to a design choice and deciding to accept it. Additionally, there are a few bugs that I've encountered. I'm not marking off for those bugs because the developers have been very responsive in resolving those issues since launch and like almost all video game content some bugs are expected. Hopefully they will be resolved very soon but even with the bugs they're not deal breakers. The game is still a lot of fun. Expand
  19. Nov 13, 2013
    This is pretty good expansion pack. The mega towers really add a lot to the original game. Each tower has 8 stages which you build one stage at a time. The low wealth residence stage holds 1200 people for instance, and you place 8 of them per tower. This really helps getting a higher population because of smaller maps which they said can't be fixed. The mag train is kinda nice as well to help alleviate some traffic issues. Unfortunately you are limited to 8 (i think) towers per city. There are other advancements as well to power, sewer, trade port, police and such.

I think this expansion pack is must for all SimCity owners. It diffidently makes the game more playable.
  20. Nov 13, 2013
    The expansion is a great addition! Yes, bigger city plots would have been nice but I feel the issue was addressed with the new mega towers. If you play in sandbox mode, you can expect to grow your city quick and have populations in the hundreds of thousands in no time. In addition to the added features, I feel that many of the general game functions have been improved as well. This expansion definitely renewed my interest in this game. It is a little pricey but the gains are worth it. Expand
  21. Nov 19, 2013
    It may be overpriced, and while the advertising sucked, plus no one asked for a future expansion but it is totally worth it. While you may not be able to build out, you now build up with megatowers. There may be a few bugs such as money fluctuations (Go from -$9000 an hour to +9000 and hour) and there only being one type of car, its nothing that cant be patched. But if you choose to get it, be sure to have 100's of kgal of water excess because megatowers are quite needy. Expand
  22. Dec 31, 2013
    Broken expansion for already broken game. It really feels like I have to start with same words for every expansion review. Nothing is fixed in this overpriced expansion. Just avoid and wait for better in future. The year 2013 was awful for PC gamer but lets hope the year 2014 brings the golden age.
  23. Nov 28, 2013
    Great for playing with my 8 year old daughter but I can see why the grown up simmers are disappointed its a sandbox just one for kids. Would be nice if they weren't trying to gouge so much on the DLC as well
  24. May 15, 2014
    The maps are still small, you can build up now but not out and it still feels restricted. This game simply doesn't feel fun to play with small maps.

BIGGER MAPS!

1. Jan 20, 2014
    An entertaining and functional enhancement, which, however, must build on the original game's not very stable foundations. It's more of a quantity and building diversity extension than an answer to the game's most poignant problems along with its limitations.
  2. Jan 14, 2014
    Cities of Tomorrow isn't a bad expansion if you're already a big fan of SimCity and are itching for new ways with which to test your city-building skills within Maxis' sandbox.
  3. Dec 30, 2013
    Enjoyable new content, but strangled by enduringly small lots and an inability to save, load and experiment. [Jan 2014, p.92]