4.3

1. Dec 21, 2010
    They destroyed the SC serie! All the conception of zones ( industrial zone, commercial zone etc) the conception of canalisation and energy network... all destroyed. That was a terrible experience. why change something that was awesome?? WHY?!
  2. Jun 25, 2011
    this game is a bummer compared to the earlier sim cities. i had some fun playing this game and got bored with my second city. i dont like anything particularly about this game but i dont really hate anything either so it is just sot of boring. i wish the could have gone back to their basics.
  3. Aug 28, 2011
    Sucks beyond imagination. You'd expect a great thing when SimCity and The Sims and combined, but instead, you get a total mis-match. Terrible game-play and overall a forgettable experience.
  4. Jan 29, 2012
    This is a different spin on the SimCity series. Very fun and addictive all the same. Alittle bit more on the casual side than the others but still very complex and in- depth. In some ways I think this formula is even more fun than the originals. Societies is a great sandbox title worth having in your library. Its too bad EA has the reigns on it. EA is equal only to UbiSoft when it comes to intrusive DRM. You will have to play it through their dam launcher. Expand
  5. Jan 27, 2012
    Seriously. EA, NEVER LET A CRAPPY ARMATURE DEVELOPER DEVELOP FOR ONE OF YOUR GOOD FRANCHISES, EVER, EVER, AGAIN. This is really, one of the worst games ive ever played. It crashes for no reason, it locks up, and several other problems make this a very horrible experience. This game is bad. Ive got a high end PC as well. Please EA, make us a REAL simcity 5. No wait. LET MAXIS DO IT. YOU GUYS ARE BAD TOO. Look what you did to the sims. The sims 1 and 2 were fun. But you give us a watered down crappy sims 3. Really? No thanks. Theres my 2 cents. AVOID THIS GAME! Expand
  6. Jan 20, 2013
    Inappropriately branded under the Sim City franchise, Societies looks fun and innovative but lacks engaging game play. Even those who have never heard of Sim City before will find themselves tire of this poorly designed game, that poses very little challenge or purpose. The graphics seem promising and the concept seems good, but ultimately there is very little to do here. It feels too limited for a sandbox game, and lacks any consistent challenge to be a strategy game. Its neither here nor there, and ends up feeling more like a not-so-successful beta of a game.

Sandbox mode can provide a moment of creative amusement, but the replay value is almost dead. Given its stodgy size and questionable performance, its hard to justify keeping this installed.
  7. Mar 9, 2013
    Compared to SimCity 4 Deluxe, SimCity Societies is a very lackluster addition to the SimCity series. It offers a lot more options building-wise, but I prefer the way SimCity 4 Deluxe was formatted. I felt that it was somewhat annoying to have to build buildings one-by-one rather than making zones. Overall, it is a very meh game compared to SimCity 4 Deluxe.
  8. May 20, 2014
    by far the worst entry in the series. It is over simplified. I don't understand what EA was trying to appeal to. Societies throws away the classic simcity mechanics that make it fun. The mechanics suck, the soundtrack is boring and the graphics are lame. Do not buy!
  9. Sep 1, 2013
    Well what can I say it's... okay. I bought this for REALLY cheap and started playing it. It's pretty easy. Well then my computer was having problems and i needed to reload it. After that I forgot about the game and started to do other things on my computer. Though, I lost the code and I cannot re install.
  10. Nov 23, 2013
    For a spin-off game, it's actually OK. It has some interesting ideas like creating a Sociality-Base cities and Free-Roam game mode. The graphics and music are good. My biggest complain is that the game is quite boring after some time.
  11. Feb 10, 2014
    I absolutely love this game. I got it at a heavily discounted price when I bought a new computer (less than $10) and it has been a pleasant surprise of a game that has provided me with hours of enjoyment. I have never played any of the SimCity games before and Societies was the perfect introduction to this kind of game. Sure, it may be a little easy with no real set goals, but that for me doesn’t detract from the game. The Sims, for instance, is also low difficulty and has no real end to work towards, but is surprisingly fun.

I must praise Tilted Mill for their handling of social engineering into the city-building scheme. I loved watching the spiritual city come up with its pastiche of American frontier and Asian-inspired buildings. I liked how the music and building details changed to match the predominant social values of the city. After playing for several hours, the music became pleasantly ingrained in my mind. I particularly enjoyed building the authoritative city as well, which gave an Orwellian, warlike feel to the otherwise peaceful setting of the game. I found myself mixing-and-matching the societal values to create a multitude of cities for days.

I think this game is underappreciated and doesn’t deserve the flack it has received from other reviewers. Sure, it is very different from the original SimCity, but that can be a good thing. The only other game from Maxis/EA I have played before was The Sims. For me, SimCity Societies is a game that is midway between The Sims and SimCity. It seems to have been created with another player in mind, someone who is less-concerned about strict rules and complexity, but intrigued with creativity and being able to go in different directions.

I liked this game so much that I went on to buy the Destinations expansion and eventually; Spore, SimCity (2013), and the Cities of Tomorrow expansion. I have enjoyed playing all of these games in their own right. If Societies was created to broaden the appeal of the genre to other players, it has certainly done so. For me, it has unintendedly been a “gateway drug” into the other Sim-type games. I never thought that I would come to love simulation games so much, and Societies was an important and fun stepping stone in that direction. Thank you Tilted Mill!

1. The newest Sim City differs quite a lot from its predecessors. It concentrates more on the social atmosphere than being a realistic city simulator. Social energies is a fresh idea which works nicely although they’ve simplified the administrative side of the game maybe a little too much. SC: Societies is a nice way to waste time, but you’ll get bored with it at some point because the game starts to repeat itself. [Nov 2007]
  2. Societies doesn't stumble just because "it isn't SimCity". Fresh takes on old concepts should always be welcome. It stumbles because it's a generally unsatisfying patchwork of a game, dragged down by inconsistent gameplay, outdated design and weirdly implemented ideas.
    Despite its few slipups, the core of Societies is strong enough -- and the gameplay addictive enough -- that even the stodgiest traditionalist will find something to shout about.