2.2

1. Mar 5, 2013
    Unfortunately the game crashes while loading, so I can't really comment on what remains merely theoretical gameplay. I should also mention that I installed it on two different systems, both running MANY other games successfully. Without any response (at all) from EA, I can only conclude they released it prematurely. Too bad too, since I'm a long time SimCity fan.
  2. Mar 5, 2013
    I've played games all my life. I still remember finding Space Invaders in the Montreal airport on way to a family vacation. This game and install have been the worst I have ever encountered. I can see crappy software but crappy software that has hooped my entire PC is shocking.
  3. Mar 5, 2013
    This is the last time that im buying a game from EA That is a single player game an i cant load the game and the graphic is the worst ive seen in decade what a waist of time and money.
  4. Mar 6, 2013
    >Small cities (smaller than the SNES version lol...)
    >Always online DRM
    >Forced to use Origin
    >DLCs to have access to bigger cities
    >MSRP above £40 in the UK (£45), which is a complete rip off as 98% of new game release, including AAA games such CoD are released for £39.99 or less.

EA/10
  5. Mar 5, 2013
    Yes, this game is a lot of fun. Yes, it's more user friendly than the old versions of SimCity, but what does that matter whenever their servers that you HAVE to use are down? You can't play if that's the case and, surprise surprise, that's the case this morning on the -first- day of launch. Hopefully this deplorable score will wake up EA to finally get their act together.
  6. Mar 5, 2013
    The game itself, as I have seen is lots of fun. However, the restrictions are horrible. Cloud based saving, so you can't have your save files on your PC, small cities, and the DRM,always online Origin. This game could have been good, but they made it terrible.
  7. Mar 5, 2013
    This is an $80 facebook game. This origin (spyware) dumbed down piece of garbage, not only costs $80 for the full game (any lesser version witholds ingame content), but comes intact with intrusive, always-online DRM. Many people, even reviewers, were unable to access their games or load old saves because this. As a consumer, we should have a zero-tolerance for this sort of practice andThis is an $80 facebook game. This origin (spyware) dumbed down piece of garbage, not only costs $80 for the full game (any lesser version witholds ingame content), but comes intact with intrusive, always-online DRM. Many people, even reviewers, were unable to access their games or load old saves because this. As a consumer, we should have a zero-tolerance for this sort of practice and boycott any game which is essentially an $80 rental. As to the content of the game, the city plots are abysmal in size, deals with neighboring cities is done automatically, connections with other cities (highways and rails) is done automatically, and much content like subway stations have been cut. The overall nature of the game is so limited that it when taken into context with it's social gaming aspects, you have to conclude that would be better fit for a facebook or iphone game. Expand
  8. Mar 5, 2013
    When working properly, the game is enjoyable. However, there remains few opportunities to enjoy the gameplay with beleaguered servers unable to connect preventing players from using their purchased products (even in a single player environment).
  9. Mar 5, 2013
    The menu looks and works great. However, I can't play it because the servers are down. Supposedly, the city size limits are pretty bad as well, but I'll give the game a 1 in the hopes that they'll patch in a bigger city size.
  10. Mar 5, 2013
    Small maps, always on DRM, and overloaded servers that don't allow you to play single player games offline. Pathetic. EA needs to go bankrupt. 1 star as it IS pretty.

CitiesXL is a MUCH MUCH (x1000) better game, doesn't require an internet connection for single player games, and will happily let you play 10 years from now.
  11. Mar 6, 2013
    I paid 80 EUR (that's $104) for a game I can't play. The DRM is simply BS. I had to wait 30 minutes in a queue just to get told once that time was over that servers are busy and the client was closed. This is unacceptable.
  12. Mar 5, 2013
    Wow, disappointment of the decade. Horrible DRM, microscopic maps, basic features missing. You're locked into a specific playing style. "Your city, Maxis' way" (or the highway if that doesn't suit you).
  13. Mar 5, 2013
    DRM with endless problems logging on to a single-player game. Check.
    A city so small you're done in an hour or two. Check.
    A future of nickle-and-diming paid customers to death. Check. Following the profit structured Social version rather than the fan-beloved SimCity 4 version. Check. Run by EA. Check. Critics giving 9's and 10's after playing on private servers for critics.
    DRM with endless problems logging on to a single-player game. Check.
    A city so small you're done in an hour or two. Check.
    A future of nickle-and-diming paid customers to death. Check.
    Run by EA. Check.
    Critics giving 9's and 10's after playing on private servers for critics. Check. Everyone else giving 0-3 rating. Check.

Efforts like this MUST fail or it is all we will get in the future. I remember the days when I would call in sick to work to play an awesome newly-released game. I'd spend hours playing and I wouldn't regret playing hooky at all. Now you try to do it only to discover that you spend the day in a que waiting to play a single-player game you already paid for. Thank god I tried it at a friend's house. Once it actually logged him on (an hour later), and four interruptions and two hours later, and we felt like we were basically done. Couldn't expand any further.

This isn't the rebirth of SimCity and this isn't the way games should be made and marketed. Protest with your wallet. Keep it closed.
  14. Mar 5, 2013
    This game is a disgrace to the SimCity franchise. In summary, this version of SimCity equates to a dumbed-down Facebook game. The always-online-DRM is pretty much a dealbreaker, but I might have still considered buying it if it weren't for the restrictions this system places on you. So as the term suggests, always-online-DRM means there is NO offline single player for this game. Want toThis game is a disgrace to the SimCity franchise. In summary, this version of SimCity equates to a dumbed-down Facebook game. The always-online-DRM is pretty much a dealbreaker, but I might have still considered buying it if it weren't for the restrictions this system places on you. So as the term suggests, always-online-DRM means there is NO offline single player for this game. Want to play a single player world? Cool, you can do that, just sign into our servers first. Don't have internet? Need to pass the time on an airplane? Just play SimCity- oh wait, you can't. Ok, surely it can't be THAT big a deal, right? Wrong, not when you learn that you can't even save your worlds to your own hard drive. Everything you do has to be stored in EA's collection of poorly sustained servers. This also removes some of the magic of the old SimCity games, since it restricts you from destroying a city and reloading from an old save. This DRM system is restricting pretty basic freedoms of gaming. So there's the DRM system, which is a dealbreaker in itself, but what about the gameplay? Good news, that's a dealbreaker too. The cities are extremely small, you have no control over regional transport, there are no subways, and there is no terraforming. This game is completely misleading. This version of SimCity does not qualify as a full fledged video game. It qualifies as a Facebook game, at best. Don't waste your money on EA's little trap. Expand
  15. Mar 5, 2013
    this game too many problems. please dont buy, thanks all for reading. Server reached maximum capacity and so I was placed in a queue and was not allowed to play a SINGLE PLAYER GAME because it forces me to constantly be online. So despite my flawless internet connection, EA's incompetence has forced me to postpone playing a game I'd like to play on my own anyway. I have played the beta andthis game too many problems. please dont buy, thanks all for reading. Server reached maximum capacity and so I was placed in a queue and was not allowed to play a SINGLE PLAYER GAME because it forces me to constantly be online. So despite my flawless internet connection, EA's incompetence has forced me to postpone playing a game I'd like to play on my own anyway. I have played the beta and the city size limits are awful. But it isn't all bad, Expand
  16. Mar 5, 2013
    Being forced to always be online is pathetic. The servers have had issues since launch and i'm unable to play the game. I've started my city twice now and have had the servers crash and roll back.

What a joke.
  17. Mar 5, 2013
    While it might be a good game, the always online DRM for single player is an insult to the player base (another one of a long series of insults from EA to their customers), and it's absolutely unacceptable. It seems EA didn't learn anything from Ubisoft's DRM failure...
  18. Mar 5, 2013
    Now this is just another horrible instance of how a greedy publisher can destroy a potentially awesome game, from a really good series of games.

First of all, Maxis, well done. You've created an interesting, fun and absorbing game, like you have done in the past. Secondly, EA Games, go bury yourself. The gameplay itself is nice and fun. But it's impossible to not notice the

Secondly, EA Games, go bury yourself.

The gameplay itself is nice and fun. But it's impossible to not notice the obvious parts that are missing, just so they can be added as DLC and sold for more profit later on. Subways for example and other means of transportation that could easily have made the "final product". Also, regarding this whole "always online" way of avoiding piracy, that does'nt work so well does it. First of all, on launch day, the game is still unaccessable. Secondly, if you do create a nice city that you wish to continue playing, you're out of luck if your server is full. Either you're put into a queue, or you will have to start a new city on another server, putting your old favorite in the do-it-later-when-I'm-allowed-to-play-what-I-want pile. Great.

Also, Sim City is one of those perfect games to play when you just want to chill out and relax a little by yourself. The Sim City series have always been like that. Going away to your cabin for the weekend? Want a single-player game that ain't demanding, that you can just play for fun? Sim City has always delivered, along with other "tycoon" games.

But now, thanks to the DRM, you always have to be online. So you can kiss those days goodbye as well.

This could have been a great game worth spending hundreds of hours on. Thanks to the greed of the publisher, it's the complete opposite. Way to go there, ruining many players hopes of finally getting the best Sim City experience yet.

I can't recommend this as a purchase for anyone. No matter how fond you are of city-sim games.
  19. Mar 5, 2013
    did not buy, will not buy. Sim City is one of my all time favorite franchises, but I absolutely refuse to buy any game that has forced online DRM, especially for a single player game. Sorry EA has completely screwed up on this one!!
  20. Mar 5, 2013
    I'd love a 3d online simcity, it's a great idea, but "Simcity" is a bunch of good ideas horribly implemented.

The glass-box engine that tracks every sim sounds good on paper but adds nothing to the gameplay. It's a dumbed down ugly simcity experience with most of the features built up over generations abandoned in favour of tacked-on online play and useless over-detail. The graphics are poor, the zoning system is horrific and leaves your city full of ugly holes, and despite there apparently being insane detail under the hood, as a player none of it really effects you or the gameplay. They could have abstracted a the traffic and sims's needs to a much higher degree and be left with the exact same gameplay but much bigger maps. The new casual focus is a failure, the scale is a failure, the online component is a failure, and the new art style is a failure. All good ideas on paper but EA just didn't quite manage to pull it off. The bottom line is that this game does not scratch the itch I have to design a city with the scope, control, or realism I've come to expect.
  21. Mar 5, 2013
    I have completed everything that the game allows. Meaning I installed it and started it up. I would give it a 0 but the menu looks nice. There is no way to actually play the game so it is broken and should be avoided at all costs. I want to play BY MY SELF but it will not allow me to do so. Therefore it is broken and not worth buying.
  22. Mar 5, 2013
    Pre-ordered this about a month ago. I once again succumbed to my love for franchises that EA has scooped up over the years and absolutely demolished. I wrongfully gave EA the benefit of the doubt in this case. After nothing but hours of headaches today trying to get this game to even show up in my Origin games library, it will not even proceed to launch and install the rest of the game.Pre-ordered this about a month ago. I once again succumbed to my love for franchises that EA has scooped up over the years and absolutely demolished. I wrongfully gave EA the benefit of the doubt in this case. After nothing but hours of headaches today trying to get this game to even show up in my Origin games library, it will not even proceed to launch and install the rest of the game. This is simply unacceptable business practice. EA makes billions off their franchises, and yet clearly have no interest in providing ease of access and stable infrastructure to support them. It's all about money with these clowns. This is the very last time I purchase a product that requires Origin or carries an EA logo. Expand
  23. Mar 5, 2013
    The game is great.

The servers are however constantly down, rendering the game completely unplayable. Until that issue is rectified, then this is the best I can do. Had they actually taken the time to properly speculate on how much server space they would actually need, this game would be getting an 8 from me right now.
  24. PL3
    Mar 5, 2013
    critic review is just bullsh*t. DO NOT SPEND 60$ on this. The city is just TOO DAMN SMALL. Server always busy. Feel exaclty like the diablo syndrom. ANd the game just tell you what to do. you do it and that sit. We need more police car!! do it. done. We need more classroom!! do it. done. over and over again.
  25. Mar 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The map is incredibly small, the fact that I can't build my own metropolis having to piggy back off others is ridiculous. EA online garbage.... for not the first but second time you ruined a once fun game. Oh yeah and a leader board? What crap is that??? I don't care whose doing better or worse than me I want to play the game the way I want to play. If you idiots can fix the Mass Effect 3 ending by having us pressure Bioware then you can fix this crap filled game. Do not game developers play games? Why do they bring the same stuff they hate into our lives? Expand
  26. Mar 5, 2013
    Compared to the SimCity games before this is a joke, always online DRM, you don't own your savefiles, if you have a disconnect you are kicked from the game within minutes. The game feels dumbed down, with maps a lot smaller, barely any content. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!
  27. Mar 5, 2013
    I cannot emphasis how maddeningly bad this game is, and how boring it is.

Yes, EA's "online only" requirement is incredibly annoying, but I also have Battlefield 3, so I'm used to it. I'm not even going to comment on this aspect of the game any further, as it's been discussed here ad infinitum. What is at issue is the actual game itself. It's bad. It's boring. It's restrictive. It's
    I cannot emphasis how maddeningly bad this game is, and how boring it is.

What is at issue is the actual game itself. It's bad. It's boring. It's restrictive. It's maddening. You are only allowed to build your "village" within a very small, confined space, a square, with a dotted line around it. That's it. That's it! That, in and of itself, is enough to ruin the game for me. After an hour, you've built a small village, and you're... done. You are done. You can tweak what you have, bulldoze some stuff, and... yeah. You're done. Now why did EA/Maxis do this? I can only speculate they are either really stupid, or really greedy. I expect in a few months they will start rolling out new content that you will have to pay for, e.g. $14.99 for "medium" sized maps (which will still be too small). The game really is a joke. The graphics are nice, but so are the graphics in Cities XL. I also wouldn't say they are that revolutionary. You might have seen the same product in 2009.
  28. Mar 5, 2013
    BEWARE: Forced online DRM, will you be playing this 10 years down the track like previous Sim Cities? No, you wont. And they want this, so you buy the next one. Servers go down? Well screw you, EA already has your money. DLC available from release, server side save-games. I repeat, FORCED ONLINE DRM Also, server queues at launch. Thanks for destroying video gaming and my most treasured franchise.
  29. Mar 5, 2013
    All the 10 positive reviewers are complete morons. Spouting rubbish to try and defend this game. My favourite so far was, "There's a reason why it's sitting at 91% from the critics right now" Jaylenko Do I need to point you in the direction of; MASS EFFECT 3, DIABLO 3, COD:MW2&3, COD:BOPS1&2 ETC ETC to make you realise just how stupid that kind of statement is? These are all primeAll the 10 positive reviewers are complete morons. Spouting rubbish to try and defend this game. My favourite so far was, "There's a reason why it's sitting at 91% from the critics right now" Jaylenko Do I need to point you in the direction of; MASS EFFECT 3, DIABLO 3, COD:MW2&3, COD:BOPS1&2 ETC ETC to make you realise just how stupid that kind of statement is? These are all prime examples of games that were complete and utter blunders, had next to no innovation in just about any aspect of their game and yet reviewers gave them all extremely favourable reviews. It would almost lead someone to believe that EA/Activision are blackmailing Reviewers, or Buying them out, telling them they won't give them games pre-release or bribing them so they get a good review. Honestly if anyone ACTUALLY believes any kind of Big Gaming review websites these days, they're a complete moron. Now onto these same people trying to defend Always Online DRM, you can't defend it, PERIOD. It's a cheap and dirty practice that holds no place in the gaming world. What happens when you grab your Laptop and go somewhere that doesn't have internet access? What happens to the people with bad connections? What happens to your game when the servers crash? What happens when they do maintenance and you can't play for hours? What happens when the Cloud Saves glitch and you have to roll back your town (Which btw has already happened to people)? Honestly the problems with always online DRM is endless and serves no place in Gaming. Have a Singleplayer version of the game which can be accessed without Origin or can be accessed from a "Origin Offline Mode (Where you don't need to log in Like you can do in Steam)" and then have a Multiplayer version, then people get to choose which they prefer and you can do make changes to the different versions of the game without effecting the other. It's a disgusting practice by EA (And Blizzard for that matter with D3) and if you are enabling this kind of crap by buying these companies games then you are part of the Cancer that is slowly destroying gaming. I suppose I should talk about the game, well it doesn't come out till the 7th in Australia and I wasn't going to buy it anyway, I've boycotted all EA Products. But there's streams going on and Videos all over the net showcasing the gameplay (In great detail mind you since Press had the game for a solid week or so pre-release and made tons and tons of cities). And they all agree it's good, but not great. I only gave the game a 2 because morons are giving this 10 to try and counter-balance the 0's, and whilst I think the 0's are taking things a little to far, low scores have to be given to balance. Frankly with none of this always online rubbish, bigger build plots and less focus on Multiplayer, I'd say this game could definitely be a Solid 7-8/10. In it's current state, but without Always Online DRM probably a 5/10 is an honest Score. But sadly with the Always online BS in place, I think the 3-4/10 mark is spot on where this game deserves to be. Expand
  30. Mar 5, 2013
    The usual "EA corporation" destroying awesome companies like Maxis. DO NOT BUY SIM CITY! Not only you need to be online at all times to play, but in a few years from now, the game will NOT be playable anymore (when they take the servers down). Do NOT encourage this practice. This is bad for everyone who likes video games if only a little.
  31. Mar 5, 2013
    DRM blows. Why do I need to be online to play in single player. Maps waaaaaaaay to small. Perhaps call the game SimVillage. Then there's DLC... oh come on I just paid for the game. EA have done it again. Yet another great series ruined.
  32. Mar 5, 2013
    POS. Another example of why EA is consistently in the running for most hated company in America. I was excited to try Maxis' new Sim City, but their partnership with EA has ruined it.
  33. Mar 5, 2013

So despite my flawless internet connection, EA's incompetence has forced me to postpone playing a game I'd like to play on my own anyway. I have played the beta and the city size limits are awful. But it isn't all bad, I do

I have played the beta and the city size limits are awful.

But it isn't all bad, I do enjoy the new features, such as removal of the piping networks and the add-ons for buildings. But it's awful comopated to SC4
  34. Mar 5, 2013
    It may be looked down upon to use this as a megaphone to shout through but the fact is that people need to see this, that NO-ONE should EVER support always online DRM for a single player game, on my partners 2nd attempt to play this game, she was told the servers were at full capacity and could not play until 235 minutes had elapsed. There are a staggering amount of other problems, such asIt may be looked down upon to use this as a megaphone to shout through but the fact is that people need to see this, that NO-ONE should EVER support always online DRM for a single player game, on my partners 2nd attempt to play this game, she was told the servers were at full capacity and could not play until 235 minutes had elapsed. There are a staggering amount of other problems, such as the save states being tied to client-side servers, so that once EA decides this game is finished so is your progress and your ability to play it, forever. Not only that but, as probably said before, this game is on Origin only, so you must install this malicious, unoptimized, buggy front-end to just begin to play the game.
    Regardless of how the game plays as a Simulator, or whether or not it is improved upon it's predecessors, these issues need to not just ironed out, but abolished completely and utterly. The business practices being executed here are absolutely disgusting and should not be tolerated, at all.
  35. Mar 5, 2013
    Played this game for 6 hours. DO NOT BUY IT. I got disconnected from the server 3 times...you cannot save your own game! So there is no more let me test and reload if it doesn't work. I started over at least 10 times while getting used to some of the features. The city size is just unacceptable. Its not a city AT ALL...More like a village. You will fill it up in an hour. I'mPlayed this game for 6 hours. DO NOT BUY IT. I got disconnected from the server 3 times...you cannot save your own game! So there is no more let me test and reload if it doesn't work. I started over at least 10 times while getting used to some of the features. The city size is just unacceptable. Its not a city AT ALL...More like a village. You will fill it up in an hour. I'm already bored with the game. I won't even get into the always on drm...its a terrible move IMO...but in addition to that the game is not worth the money. I gave it a 3 because some of the new features are neat and useful but its they aren't enough to save the experience. Buy tomb raider instead. Expand
  36. Mar 5, 2013
    So I bought this after playing and loving Simcity 3000 and Simcity 4, enjoying Simcity 4 even today, 10 years after its original release. I was hesitant about buying this, but the Glassbox engine and a few gameplay mechanic improvements were enough to make me plop down the $60 entry fee.
    Whoops, Origin is required, and you are always required to be online while playing the game. After waiting a good 40 minutes for EA's servers to let me into a single player game, I started playing a bit. Except my internet dropped out for a few minutes without my knowing until the game kicked me out for being offline. To EA's credit, it didn't make me lose my save, much. I still lost about 10 minutes of progress.

Okay, so second try. I spent another hour logging in because the servers were getting pounded again. I decide to jump into the deep end by making the biggest city size they had available. I had to check two times to make sure that it was the biggest city size, because it was absolutely tiny. SC3KU's medium size was a bit bigger than this. So that's an actual city with suburbs gone out the window, and I resigned myself to making towns and nothing more.

So when playing, I noticed another thing. Power and water mechanics are vastly simplified. Not streamlined, simplified. Of the vein "make a few buildings at the town edge and forget about it" sense, easily funded by pitiful money management. You can't even make water pipes or power lines anymore, removing any of the challenge in getting that infrastructure up. Sewage would be a neat addition too, but it's still largely useless.

Then comes the zoning, where you zone different densities by... making different road sizes. You absolutely cannot have high-density buildings touching streets, so you have to build avenues all over the place to get high density buildings, largely unutilized since the "individually simulated" citizens love to funnel into a single avenue regardless of just how gridded your city is. In addition, industry and commercial buildings all have childish, enormous, uncreative names plastered on billboards seen from space. It was a bit charming at first, but seeing your entire industrial core covered in "DIRTY INDUSTRY" billboards gets old fast.

The difficulty itself is awful. I could easily get a full-sized city up and running within an hour or two, never once going into the red. Monetary concerns are gone out the window unless an infrequent and easily-managed disaster strikes, and the only difficulty in this game has to do with somehow utilizing all of your meager amounts of land.

Which leads me to another thing. Yes, roads can be curved now, but lots still follow rectangular grids. There is tons of technology these days that allows for curved and unequal lots, including in competitors like Synekism, Introversion's city generator, or even Shamus Young's city generator. However, since EA is still somehow stuck in the past, any curved roads end up wasting massive amounts of space due to lots always being rectangular. Areas inscribed by curved roads end up wasting up to around two thirds of their area. Even when you're not using curved roads, it seems the snap-to-right-angles option always wastes space due to a lack of visible grid, but the in-game adherence to a grid system. It wastes a bunch of space in the areas next to lots. This is horrible when your city size is already at a minimum.

Finally, we come to the entire region view and multiplayer aspect of the game. The region system as set up is extremely visually jarring. There is a lot of wasted space and it results in two massive high-density cities being next door to each other but having absolutely no connections to each other aside from a meager, meandering highway. Then you have the myriad of idiots who just build cities in the shape of phalluses, ruining your experience anyways. Then, you're forced to play in a multiplayer region if you want the full experience of the singleplayer game, namely having all those imports and exports. However, all the cities next to you also move pollution to and fro. So there's always that guy who picks an upwind position and builds nothing but coal factories and industry, filling everyone else's cities with stifling pollution and preventing any meaningful progression. "So just play with friends in your own region" you say, well I'm sorry to say that I'm the only idiot dumb enough to buy this awful game.

This is not a SimCity game in any sense except name only. This is just SimTown with awful design decisions and a clear plan to have loads of microtransactions.
    Save your money and don't buy this game until it hits the $5 bargain bin. Hope that EA doesn't shut down the servers by that time.
  37. Mar 5, 2013
    I wish this game was released as a standalone game, I was looking forward to playing both Battlefield 3 and Sim City 5.

The requirements are unreasonable for me, being always online, the servers having enough capacity for me to play when and where I want. What happens when there is lag? When the number of cities you can have gets limited artificially? When they shut down the

What happens when there is lag?
    When the number of cities you can have gets limited artificially?
    When they shut down the servers?

Maybe they should focus on making good games, instead of trying to figure out what is the best way to make money from day one with DLC.

I'm never installing origin or a game that uses it.
  38. Mar 5, 2013
    Many devoted SimCity 4 fans will not be moved by this game. It's too limited, requires you to be always online, and has little recourse for a community to grow around it like SimCity 4. Devoted fans loved Sandboxing even with regions. They also loved full on modding. EA will discourage this since each mod or add-on could be the source of micro-payments. SC4 fans did this in the pastMany devoted SimCity 4 fans will not be moved by this game. It's too limited, requires you to be always online, and has little recourse for a community to grow around it like SimCity 4. Devoted fans loved Sandboxing even with regions. They also loved full on modding. EA will discourage this since each mod or add-on could be the source of micro-payments. SC4 fans did this in the past because they loved it. I'm worried for the franchise. SC4 may be the last great city simulation. Expand
  39. Mar 5, 2013
    The management part itself is good.
    BUT.
    Online only so actually hard to access to the servers. Very small maps. IA pretty strange sometimes. I can already smell the near DRM. It's easy. Just take the features of simcity4 you don't have in the fifth. (-_-) Your city is a part of a group of other cities else she can't be... You are far away from the good old games we played where you
    The management part itself is good.
    BUT.

Your city is a part of a group of other cities else she can't be...
    You are far away from the good old games we played where you built your own city self sufficient by your own.
    Perhaps you will like this "ALL MULTI ONLY ONLINE LOL" we get now, but not me.
  40. Mar 5, 2013
    I created an account here just to say how bad this game is. I'll give it a 2 for nice visuals but the DRM and the server issues for this game are some of the worst I have ever experienced. WHEN WILL EA LEARN?! Seriously, I hope EA eventually goes bankrupt. They have absolutely no intention of supporting the gaming community. It's all about money to them. And the map sizes?! Ridiculous!I created an account here just to say how bad this game is. I'll give it a 2 for nice visuals but the DRM and the server issues for this game are some of the worst I have ever experienced. WHEN WILL EA LEARN?! Seriously, I hope EA eventually goes bankrupt. They have absolutely no intention of supporting the gaming community. It's all about money to them. And the map sizes?! Ridiculous! Mark my words, they'll release DLC that allows bigger cities but you'll have to pay for it! Typical EA. What an epic fail. Expand
  41. Mar 5, 2013
    EA Origin Required, Always on DRM, Queue to play a single player game, launch day striped out DLC, small cities, dumbed down. 1 step forward in graphics, 2 steps backwards in everything else. EA, been treating games as walking wallets since '82
  42. Mar 5, 2013
    This is the worst nightmare for anyone who is a long time SimCity fan. City sizes are limited to uselessly small cities. All the transportation and civil engineering is gone. It's impossible to play by yourself, or even play offline. If their servers don't feel like letting you on you're not playing, even "single-player". This is a game designed for people who are control freaks, and everyThis is the worst nightmare for anyone who is a long time SimCity fan. City sizes are limited to uselessly small cities. All the transportation and civil engineering is gone. It's impossible to play by yourself, or even play offline. If their servers don't feel like letting you on you're not playing, even "single-player". This is a game designed for people who are control freaks, and every choice they made seems to reduce control. I've waited years for this game and I'm so disappointed right now after trying it. Expand
  43. Mar 5, 2013
    The game is terrible, very disappointed. I paid a lot of money for crap. The size of the city is ridiculous and I would take care of the city, not the sims. Sim City 4 forever...
  44. Mar 5, 2013
    All i have to say is THERE IS NO SAVE SYSTEM Wtf No even in Single player mode!
    ITS AN MMO with Private island and a cheat mode...

60 euros for that just LOL
  45. Mar 5, 2013
    Don't Support Always on DRM. Never! Can't even play a game because servers are full for a SINGLE PLAYER GAME. I can't beleive that they would do this to consumers. But people are still buying the game left and right. STOP SUPPORTING DRM.
  46. Mar 5, 2013
    Between city size, no save/load functions, necessity to be always-online, I'm not sure I would buy this game at full price as it exists right now. The gameplay is enjoyable and the visuals are nice, but it feels incredibly limiting. This game has a lot of promise but sadly the product as delivered just feels clumsy. Hopefully EA takes criticism to heart and actually attempts to learn fromBetween city size, no save/load functions, necessity to be always-online, I'm not sure I would buy this game at full price as it exists right now. The gameplay is enjoyable and the visuals are nice, but it feels incredibly limiting. This game has a lot of promise but sadly the product as delivered just feels clumsy. Hopefully EA takes criticism to heart and actually attempts to learn from missteps instead of just handwaving all concerns. Expand
  47. Mar 5, 2013
    Always online DRM, smaller, non-connected cities due to engine limitations, DAY 0 DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT, poor customer service and delivery of product (waited almost an hour to connect to my single player game), and a swath of simplifications in the gameplay that ruins it for a SC veteran like myself.

Don't bother to get this game. Save some money and buy Sim City 4, or Sim City 2000. You can play them OFFLINE as well.
  48. Mar 5, 2013
    Forced online no sale. It's not about DRM. It's not about Origin (no different than Steam). It's about one of the best single player game franchises of all time being corrupted by corporate whores. It's not acceptable to not be able to save your single player games on your pc, or mod your game, or to be limited by server up/downtime, or to have lag in a single player game.

This is

This is not what players wanted. Optional online/multiplayer stuff would be fine. Forced online/social features is not. Tiny cities. Dubmed down gameplay. The destruction of one of the best games for people with brains, is just not acceptable.

EA should be burned at the stake for this.

The gaming press is grossly irresponsible for not slaughtering EA for this and it just makes it look like they are in the corporate pocket. Who do you think pays for their sites...yep...the big companies that ram trash like this down the gamer's throat.

As with Blizzard and Diablo 3, forced online for what has always been one of the best single player games is not acceptable. Blizzard eventually admitted most people play D3 single player. EA chose to follow the bad example bliz set with D3 and forced online instead of being reasonable.

I beg you, if you hate being treat like crap by corporate gaming that only cares about money and not quality of game, do not buy crap like this. Do not accept having your games taken out of your hands. Do not feed money to companies that treat gamers like criminals or cows to be milked for cash for inferior products.

I pay for my games. I have no problems throwing more money at a good game. But I don't appreciate having some of the best games of PC history ruined in the way that SimCity has been ruined. Forced online single player, no saving your own games, no modding in a game that has been kept alive for over a decade largely due to modding, dumbed down gameplay for a franchise that has always been intellectual.

It's a sad, sad, SAD day in PC gaming.

It's unfortunate that a lot of uniformed people will buy this, partially because the gaming press doesn't call out companies on garbage like this, and/or that a lot of stupid sheep will flock to this game for the dumbed down gameplay. Please, don't be stupid.
  49. Mar 5, 2013
    Always online DRM sucks and it is completely unacceptable that people who bought your game should have to suffer any consequences whatsoever! Massive limitations compared to the original simcity games. No subways, no terraforming, tiny map, can't build you own airport, game has been dumbed down and lots of actions are performed automatically.
  50. Mar 5, 2013
    City size is painfully bad. If you enjoyed creating metropolis sized cities then you will be very disappointed. To give you a rough idea, the size of a city in SimCity is 2 km x 2 km; 4 km^2. That is about the size of a city block. If you traveled at 50 km/h (around about 30 mph) you would get from one side of the city to the other in about 2 minutes 24 seconds (even if your journey wasCity size is painfully bad. If you enjoyed creating metropolis sized cities then you will be very disappointed. To give you a rough idea, the size of a city in SimCity is 2 km x 2 km; 4 km^2. That is about the size of a city block. If you traveled at 50 km/h (around about 30 mph) you would get from one side of the city to the other in about 2 minutes 24 seconds (even if your journey was doubled because of traffic, that is still only 5 minutes). The "city" size really is that bad. Expand
  51. Mar 5, 2013
    Another horrible always online DRM game. I still play the original sim city single player and that game was made 20 years ago but with this new sim city EA will turn off the server making this game unplayable in a year or two, also i don't like how small the cities you are aloud do build are, theres no subways and no terraforming. I would recommend nobody on buying this game.
  52. Mar 5, 2013
    The gameplay elements are what is expected of a SimCity game, however innovation outside bus stops and the moods of the citizens (along with other The Sims features) do not exist. It's sad to realize that many people are okay with having extremely small plots of land (2x2 km), far smaller than any previous SimCity game, the reason why it's tolerated? Fanboyism? The ridiculous notion thatThe gameplay elements are what is expected of a SimCity game, however innovation outside bus stops and the moods of the citizens (along with other The Sims features) do not exist. It's sad to realize that many people are okay with having extremely small plots of land (2x2 km), far smaller than any previous SimCity game, the reason why it's tolerated? Fanboyism? The ridiculous notion that the game should be played by connecting 5 plots to each other on one area (going to a different plot will pause all the others, that doesn't seem very "connected"). I don't care for excuses like "Oh, but it will cause graphical bugs", am I supposed to give them sympathy for incompetence?

Outside the game. I hope everyone enjoys a game which has always been a single player game, now turned in to an always-online internet required with multi player features... such as having friends in the same region work on their own cities, wow thanks for adding that, it wasn't excuse to justify recent EA policies against piracy which only hurts actual customers and delays a cracked version by a few days? Maybe less? Well, I bought this for only $40 on a sale, refunding it already and uninstalled Origin. You've ruined the SimCity series and you've corrupted Maxis, just like every other previous game developing company. Go bankrupt already, EA.
  53. Mar 5, 2013
    Origin only. Day one on disc DLC. Micro-transactions on a paid game. Forced always online DRM. You're the most hated company in the industry for a reason EA.
  54. Mar 5, 2013
    DRM for a single player game, Plots to small, can be filled in an hour, Already paid micro transactions announced, Servers crashed at launch, no preloading, don't bother
  55. Mar 5, 2013
    Forced Online is never a good idea! I can understand why the developers maybe thought it was a good idea to evolve their game around the notion of "our metrics show" everyone is online, however 1) no caching of cities locally for saves and undo's 2) ea servers are the worst 3) a god awful launch The worst thing about this is Sim City is a rather good city simulation game shrouded in theForced Online is never a good idea! I can understand why the developers maybe thought it was a good idea to evolve their game around the notion of "our metrics show" everyone is online, however 1) no caching of cities locally for saves and undo's 2) ea servers are the worst 3) a god awful launch The worst thing about this is Sim City is a rather good city simulation game shrouded in the faeces of Electronic Arts business decisions! The saddest thing is I bet Sim City had massive pre-order sales and sales will continue to be massive! Better then all the other Sim Cities. I've heard of people that had a crashed game and lost their city! Talk about a time waste and a frustrating anti-user experience. Terrible game balance of too many fires (meh its silly really) Can't turn off disaters without turning on sandbox a mode that is fairly undesirable. As it negates the online experience for the sake of the faux online experience. For an online game you would expect calibration to be at the forefront but there are only 4 great works, the dlc has themes for other city types which are bad, and a false market world trade. This game makes me feel ill Expand
  56. Mar 5, 2013
    If you've never played a simcity game, this is an amazing game on its own. But having played every simcity game in the franchise, this is really disappointing. The main complaint is the extremely small city size compared to its predecessors. The always-online component is not necessary.
  57. Mar 5, 2013
    -No option to be 100% offline with single player mode
    -Always-on connection to Origin -Limitations to players in fake single player mode
    -The presence of empty spaces not editable (useless empty spaces) with automatic road connections -Absence of farms -Road connections placed in a fixed and pre-determined location on the map -Airport City (the city is only one International Airport,
    -No option to be 100% offline with single player mode
    -Absence of farms
    -Road connections placed in a fixed and pre-determined location on the map
    -Airport City (the city is only one International Airport, occupying the entire mao 2x2km)
    -Automatic road connections
    -Player doesn't have complete control over the zoning by population density (almost automatic zoning)
    -Dead space between all the buildings
    -Size of the maps is 2km by 2km (small maps)
    -Not being able to control the regional transport
    -Modding restrictions

NO SUBWAYS
    NO FREEWAYS
    NO TERRAFORMING
    NO SAVING OR LOADING
    NO SPACE TO BUILD
    MUST LET STRANGERS RUIN YOUR CITIES MUST BUY RESOURCES TO POWER YOUR CITY
  58. Mar 5, 2013
    Can't even get the game to download. And once I do, it appears the game will be unplayable since their servers are overloaded. I do hope they get these problems worked out, but until then, avoid it.
  59. Mar 5, 2013
    Remember back when you were a kid and Mario 3 had a 30 min wait time to play the game? Well i don't ether, do not buy this game for any reason, It will be unplayable in a few years and dose not work now. Take a look at the critic reviews, they have been given a lot of money to lie to you.
  60. Mar 5, 2013
    EA is one of the worst out there. I had huge issues buying the game in the first place, tried 20 times to get through with their dumb localizations in their store. Then connection issues for the game. DESIGNING A GOOD GAME DOES NOT GIVE YOU THE RIGHT TO MISTREAT YOUR CUSTOMERS. NEVER AGAIN EA. Screw them. Moving on to better things. Just feeling a little sad for the dumb game developer whoEA is one of the worst out there. I had huge issues buying the game in the first place, tried 20 times to get through with their dumb localizations in their store. Then connection issues for the game. DESIGNING A GOOD GAME DOES NOT GIVE YOU THE RIGHT TO MISTREAT YOUR CUSTOMERS. NEVER AGAIN EA. Screw them. Moving on to better things. Just feeling a little sad for the dumb game developer who went with EA. All their efforts are in vain. Expand
  61. Mar 5, 2013
    The critic reviews are undeniable proof of "gaming journalism" being rotten to the core. This is the exact same game as SimCity Social, except you have to pay $80 before you're allowed to start paying for extras.
  62. Mar 5, 2013
    Great game, but the fact that you can't play it on the go, that the city sizes are so small, and that you have no save/load function really breaks the game for me.

1. I am dishearted by the fact that a singleplayer game is not avalible to play unless you are always online. I like playing games on the go, and Simcity 4 is one of the games that I enjoy a lot when commuting or relaxing in the park. Also, I fear for the day that EA want to cash in on a new version of Simcity, and closes the Simcity 2013 servers efficiently deleting my creative work.

2. This is not Simcity, it's Sim neighborhood. You have no room to expand or create experimental designs, because the city area is so cramped together that you will struggle to stay afloat without utilizing the area most efficiently. There is no possibility to create a huge buzzing metropolis, or vast rural farm areas firstly the city plots are too small, but they are also spread apart with a green blanket separating the individual city sites. On top of this, the cities are perfectly squared, meaning that the borders between city and "country side" looks very unappealing from an aesthetic point of view.

3. Lastly, there is no possibility to save a game, try out a strategy, and load in case everything crashed and burned. Your city becomes very costly. Imagine it like playing World of Warcraft where you lose your gear if you die.It might give some different gameplay aspects, but it hinders free creative play. The cheat-mode "sandbox" mode might change that, since you can unlock everything and try out to your hearts content, but there is still no save/load function, meaning that the city I spent 3 hours to build up could be 3 hours wasted if I want to try out how disasters inflict the local fire fighters.

All in all; this game has so much potential, but it is lost in the sea of terrible design ideas that changes the feel from the epic of simcity 4, towards the short story of farmville.

I could manage the EA-enforced always online DRM, and I understand that multiplayer gaming is the buzz-word that makes investors wet their pants but removing the essential parts of what made simcity great is stupid. The ability to build cities that in size and stature looks like New York, Shanghai or Tokyo, the ability to try out different strategies with the same city, and see which pans out and the ability to still play this game in 20 years. All of this could be included in a proper sandbox mode, I hope it will be.
  63. Mar 5, 2013
    This is a disaster. EA why have you screwed the SimCity Franchise. Curse you!!

1. Always online DRM
    2. No local saves
    3. Buggy mechanics
    4. My crap dump size is bigger than your city maps
    5. FCKIN Huge login queues what??? did I buy this game to stand in the queue to play?
  64. Mar 5, 2013
    Here we go again. Another game that is simply worse than its predecessor.
    1) You must always have an active internet connection
    2) You must use EA's origin service 3) Terraforming is officially out 4) Maximum sized maps are only the size of a SimCity 4 medium map, and to put the icen on the cake, you can no longer build outside your city area (the region is off limits!), so in other
    Here we go again. Another game that is simply worse than its predecessor.
    1) You must always have an active internet connection
    2) You must use EA's origin service
    3) Terraforming is officially out
    4) Maximum sized maps are only the size of a SimCity 4 medium map, and to put the icen on the cake, you can no longer build outside your city area (the region is off limits!), so in other words you are limited to building a small city/town (no more sprawling metropolises like Sim City 4).
    5) You cannot control regional mass transit anymore, and are restricted by pre-defined road connections.
    6) Modding is out, at least for the time being. Personally I don't see how Maxis can include mod support in an MMO game anyway, because mods would upset the game balance, and game balance is usually essential in an MMO game DLC's would make an attractive profit earning alternative to communty mods
    7) If you get some troll set up a city next to your city, and he decides to create lots of pollution or crime, your city will ofcourse pay the consequences
    8) The game is very expensive, and i'm sure there will be many more DLCs to come to "fix" the game, and ofcourse earn EA an extra bit of profit from us consumers.
    9) Your saved game will be located on an EA server. If EA decide to shut down the servers due to lack of profit, say goodbye to your cities! EA have a history of doing this with other games, and Maxis have blatantly ignored all questions regarding this matter.
    10) No direct control of zoning, this is now controlled by the type of road used
    11) No more farms or agricultural zones

Simply put, don't bother with this game, pick SimCity 4 up instead, you'll be better of that way.
  65. Mar 5, 2013
    No single player option, Tiny maps. I anticipate that you will be nickel and dime'd by microtransactions. Launch flop. It seems they've forgotten what made Sim City a good game.
  66. Mar 5, 2013
    Don't be fooled by the high reviewer scores. The game proper is a good, albeit simplified and enjoyable game, but it is the EA(Origin) DRM wrapper that ruins it. If you buy this you will never own the game or your saves, you only licence them from EA for however long they decide to keep the servers alive and EA is notorious for killing off games before their time. That's right you're notDon't be fooled by the high reviewer scores. The game proper is a good, albeit simplified and enjoyable game, but it is the EA(Origin) DRM wrapper that ruins it. If you buy this you will never own the game or your saves, you only licence them from EA for however long they decide to keep the servers alive and EA is notorious for killing off games before their time. That's right you're not allowed to save or load, must now log in and queue a la MMO and are locked out of the game as soon your connection to the servers is lost, all this for a private single-player experience. It's a sloppy attempt at multi-player, wedged into a single-player game in a thinly veiled attempt to hide the draconian DRM and the forfeiture of your rights as a consumer. If you don't want this to become the standard for all games, vote against it with your hard earned dollars. Expand
  67. Mar 5, 2013
    The city size is too small. You cant 'do' anything. As some person said, i can imagine EA selling bigger plots in the future, for more money. a total rip off, considering the initial game costs so much

And why can't i play by on my own? it is really rubbish.
  68. Mar 5, 2013
    Sorry, won't accept "Always On" connection. I'll return it and state it's broken and wait 10 years for it to come out again on GOG.com. There is no reason to accept that fact that you have to sit in queue before you can begin playing a game. Nonsense.
  69. Mar 5, 2013
    We waited this long for a piece of garbage like this? Thanks EA!

Don't like the interface, the tiny cities, the focus on individual sims rather than city building.

What a waste of time.
  70. Mar 5, 2013
    I've played the beta's, and i feel this could be a great game.
    I've bought the game, but i haven't been able to normally play it due to server issues.
    It's sad that EA have decided to cripple it. They've crippled it in two ways: 1. DRM 2. City size. 1. After i added my key the game didn't show up in Origin until much later. Once i was finally able to launch the game i had to
    I've played the beta's, and i feel this could be a great game.

It's sad that EA have decided to cripple it.

They've crippled it in two ways:
    1. DRM
    2. City size.

1. After i added my key the game didn't show up in Origin until much later. Once i was finally able to launch the game i had to wait forever to be able to play due to the server being full (why?! i want to play single player! why do i have to wait for a server to play a single player game?!)

Also what happens in 3 years when they release Simcity 2016? The servers will close and you can't play this game.

I've paid EA money to play a game when EA lets me play, not when i want to play.... i am never going to do this agian.

2.The city size is to small. This was a commercial decision by EA to maximize profit, they want as much people as possible to be able to buy the game, even people with a very old computer. It gives the people with a up to date computer a poor playing experience since they don't even have the option to play a bigger map, even though their computers can handle it. It's nice that the game has curved roads, but the city is so tiny there's not enough room to place curved roads...
  71. Mar 5, 2013
    Please ignore the EA shills and fan-girls who are trying to boost the score. There are some great ideas here, especially with the way the simulation works and includes surrounding regions in multiplayer. I just can't experience them for myself because EA didn't bother to provide enough server power to support the launch. Instead, I paid $60 for a mini-game where I sit in a queue for aPlease ignore the EA shills and fan-girls who are trying to boost the score. There are some great ideas here, especially with the way the simulation works and includes surrounding regions in multiplayer. I just can't experience them for myself because EA didn't bother to provide enough server power to support the launch. Instead, I paid $60 for a mini-game where I sit in a queue for a half-hour at a time, only to restart that line when the server still isn't available. I could care less about it being DRM. I want to play the game I paid for, and I can't. Expand
  72. Mar 5, 2013
    Unable to preload the game, the Origin client failed to give me access to Sim City (or any other game I had purchased through it) for a few hours after my purchase. There's a wait to access a single-player game, which should blow any rational person's mind. Save files are frequently corrupted, causing you to lose your progress. The plot sizes are hilariously small. You're not building aUnable to preload the game, the Origin client failed to give me access to Sim City (or any other game I had purchased through it) for a few hours after my purchase. There's a wait to access a single-player game, which should blow any rational person's mind. Save files are frequently corrupted, causing you to lose your progress. The plot sizes are hilariously small. You're not building a city, you're building a town with high-rises. Even if the technical problems with overloaded servers and corrupted save files are solved, we all know EA is going to nickle and dime us for larger plot sizes, and they're going to hail their DRM their lord and savior. Don't make the same mistake as I did. Don't support this stuff. Expand
  73. Mar 5, 2013
    DO NOT BUY! This is not SimCity and this game is crippled by an online requirement.

Gone are the days of sprawling cities, this game allows only small towns. Gone are the days of using the terrain editor to craft custom worlds to populate. Gone are the days of sitting on a long plane ride immersed in your city because you now have to be connected to EA servers. It's too bad Maxxis

It's too bad Maxxis can't break away and get back to making the games that I used to love.
  74. Mar 5, 2013
    What the is this piece of EA pls stahp. This is a bunch of bull****, most players cant even start up the ****ing game without it crashing, not to mention the fact you need to be ONLINE TO PLAY ****ING SINGLEPLAYER.

DRM/10
  75. Mar 5, 2013
    Everything about this game feel wrong, from the always on drm for a single player to the tiny maps, to EA's terrible product support. Its a shame but the have killed anther franchise. I was big fan before and will continue to play the older games long after EA shuts down the severs and kills this game.
  76. Mar 5, 2013
    For a game that is largely single player, they screwed up big time. DRM and an always-on connection required? I think not. After Diablo, I thought I"d give the single-player always-on style one more shot, but nope. From now on I refuse to buy a game with an always-on connection unless it's an MMO. Minimal DRM is the only way to keep me playing these games, because EA screwed up royally onFor a game that is largely single player, they screwed up big time. DRM and an always-on connection required? I think not. After Diablo, I thought I"d give the single-player always-on style one more shot, but nope. From now on I refuse to buy a game with an always-on connection unless it's an MMO. Minimal DRM is the only way to keep me playing these games, because EA screwed up royally on this one. Expand
  77. Mar 5, 2013
    I'll give it a 1 for pretty graphics. This game features no local save mechanism, forced connectivity to unstable servers, lack of basic infrastructure options (no subways), no custom region generations, and finally embarrassingly small map sizes. EA has ruined yet another great franchise, and much like Command Conquer before it, Sim City has been dumbed down and had all the intriguingI'll give it a 1 for pretty graphics. This game features no local save mechanism, forced connectivity to unstable servers, lack of basic infrastructure options (no subways), no custom region generations, and finally embarrassingly small map sizes. EA has ruined yet another great franchise, and much like Command Conquer before it, Sim City has been dumbed down and had all the intriguing parts ripped out of it. Expand
  78. Mar 6, 2013
    Perhaps because most cannot get on the servers to play. A complete fail from EA once again, I will not be giving Maxis my money again EA can suck my
  79. Mar 5, 2013
    I won't even start on the mandatory online component/DRM that stuff is bad enough but what really bothers me are the tiny map sizes. Who at Maxis/EA possibly thought that would be a good idea? People said it's a limit of the beta version, but now the full game is just like that. This is NOT SimCity. This is SimVillage.
  80. Mar 5, 2013
    WARNING after doing a TON of research I have deamed this game a joke. DONT BUY IT! Im not. This is the biggest slap to the face for simcity lovers, and gamers in general since EA became a money hungry. Buy a dog or something
  81. Mar 5, 2013
    Game crippled by DRM, missing a lot of content to be sold as DLC later, requires internet connection, despite being traditionally a single player game and everyone being upset with the decision. Game currently doesn't work and probably won't in the near future when they decide it's no longer profitable to run the servers. Avoid this game and this publisher.
  82. Mar 5, 2013
    Map is too small very too small. This game is only game's marketing that's all Price, dlc it's a joke from EA. I hope people don't buy this game now.
  83. Mar 5, 2013
    This is not Sim City. With the tiny land size it should have been called 'Sim-Town'. You are set in a region, where you either have to personally manage several 'towns' and specialize them towards a regional goal. If you choose to play with other people, you better hope they are on board with the common goal or they can basically contribute nothing. On top of the obvious goal ofThis is not Sim City. With the tiny land size it should have been called 'Sim-Town'. You are set in a region, where you either have to personally manage several 'towns' and specialize them towards a regional goal. If you choose to play with other people, you better hope they are on board with the common goal or they can basically contribute nothing. On top of the obvious goal of monetizing the game with micro transactions over it's lifetime, the 'always on' internet requirement... this feels more like an iPad game than a PC game. Shame on the review sites for lowering there expectations of PC games to that of mobile gaming standards. Expand
  84. Mar 7, 2013
    I dont like but i could even overlook all the issues with DRM, even accept that the game could be "constantly" paid by microtransactions, and the lack of real single, offline playing. But for me, what really kills this game from the beginning is the lack of a real map size. The current city plot size is just a joke. And its not only about simulation restrictions; EA/Maxis choose theI dont like but i could even overlook all the issues with DRM, even accept that the game could be "constantly" paid by microtransactions, and the lack of real single, offline playing. But for me, what really kills this game from the beginning is the lack of a real map size. The current city plot size is just a joke. And its not only about simulation restrictions; EA/Maxis choose the poorest idea to keep performance at bay, by limiting physical size. Even if i wish to build a city with a lot of aesthetics, like avenues, curved roads, bridges, and so, i could not, because the space is so small. I cant even have farmland. That certainly wouldn't press performance, a lot of space with farms, but thay choose the size way, and i fear the reason was purely to charge for bigger plots. They could perfectly managed the "performance issues" with sims limit on city, blocking immigration, or even restrict the city to a certain number of buildings, but they choose to limit the size of the map, what is really dull. Plus, there is zero terraform options, so the game is essentially a simulator, constricted by what EA wishes, and we basically administrate some kind of pet cities that are limited by a magical barrier. Tunnels? Bridges? Anyone? No, basically the maps are just simple squares. Hell, if at least i could have some realistic tiny plots of land, shaped by some "natural limits" it wouldn't feel so empty. I have other minor complaints, like low graphic quality, and over cartunesque style, but i could even cope with that. But the city limitation is a real deal breaker for me.

If you see people with reviews at 10 or 9, telling you "its fun and this is all that matters" are the same people that probably will find Farmville or any facebook game "fun and addictive". It will hit high for casual gamers. Anyone who really played some serious sim like previous sims will not have the same kind of opinion.
  85. Mar 5, 2013
    stay far away from this one! EA has screwed game players again with this terrible game. Always online DRM, no save games, gimped gameplay and city size in favor of prettier graphics. EA and this game are everything that is wrong with the video game industry. Do not feed the beast, vote with your wallets and stay away!
  86. Mar 5, 2013
    EA once again ruins a beloved franchise by trying to milk it for every cent it's worth. Rather than building on old concepts and introducing new fun elements for the player to experience, Sim City waters down the gameplay of its predecessors under the guise of "streamlined gameplay", and introduces mandatory mechanics that require the player to either have the assistance of other playersEA once again ruins a beloved franchise by trying to milk it for every cent it's worth. Rather than building on old concepts and introducing new fun elements for the player to experience, Sim City waters down the gameplay of its predecessors under the guise of "streamlined gameplay", and introduces mandatory mechanics that require the player to either have the assistance of other players online, or to manage multiple cities as if the player was playing with others. Gameplay has been stripped down to the bare minimum, and city sizes have NEVER been smaller in a Sim City game. This leads to a fairly short few hours of tedious zoning(which has also been "streamlined" in such a way that the player is hardly even doing anything) and watching as you very quickly hit the strict city limits. Past this point the player can attempt to make their city more dense and profitable, but it only takes a couple of hours after reaching the city size limit to do this. As far as the single player goes, that's it. Every playthrough, every city, will be exactly the same.

The one differentiating factor in this version of SimCity is that EA has managed to shoehorn in multiplayer mechanics to justify invasive DRM. So while you're building your city that will be nearly identical to every other player's and even your own subsequent cities, you can trade resources between other players in your 'region' and work towards a common goal of a grand work resting just outside of your city limits. Building this grand work is a very simple task, you need resources, you tell your city to siphon resources into the project, that's it. You're not actively doing anything at all to construct this project, you just click a button, and wait. Now here's the kicker about these multiplayer features, you MUST participate. Sim City will not start without an active internet connection, once you've made it past that part it's very likely you'll be waiting in a rather long queue to be allowed access to the game. The player can start a region and set it to private, meaning only those invited or the players themselves can join the game and make a city. Effectively making it a single player experience, but the player still has to be connected to the internet to play for some unknown reason, as well as having to wait in the queue to access their single player experience. Fortunately due to the lack of variety in Sim City's content, I'm relatively sure the queues won't last long.

In summary, this is a poor quality cash-in from a company willing to do whatever it takes to squeeze a little bit more money out of a popular franchise. I give Sim City a 0 for the simple fact that while you may be able to have a minuscule amount of fun making your first City, you could very easily get an earlier installment in the series, and have more fun for longer, at a cheaper price, wherever you are regardless of whether there's a nearby internet connection, without having to wait in a queue a couple thousand people long. There is absolutely no value in owning this game.
  87. Mar 5, 2013
    Unable to play due to server at capacity. In a single-player game. This is ridiculous. Simplified gameplay that does not provide as deep an experience as any of the previous SimCity games. While I'm sure that the server errors will be ironed out over time, the simplified gameplay will not.
  88. Mar 5, 2013
    Send EA a strong message and do not buy this game. Always online for a single player experience is a big up yours to you as the customer. Server issues combined with the fact that they can shut it down at any time should set of alarm bells.
  89. Mar 5, 2013
    The game has a lot of problems. Only one of them actually matters. Never support always online DRM for a single player game. Lots of people cannot play their single player game because of this and gamers need to do everything they can to stop developers from including it. Do you still play SimCity 4? Good luck playing this game in 10 years. The servers will probably be down then and you'llThe game has a lot of problems. Only one of them actually matters. Never support always online DRM for a single player game. Lots of people cannot play their single player game because of this and gamers need to do everything they can to stop developers from including it. Do you still play SimCity 4? Good luck playing this game in 10 years. The servers will probably be down then and you'll be locked out of your single player game. SINGLE PLAYER! Expand
  90. Mar 14, 2013
    Update 3/14: Login issues seem to be fixed, but there are still major problems with this game. We all know about the forced online and small map size, but I haven't seen too many people mention the bugs. Remember how the beta was capped at 1 hour? There are TONS of issues, and most of them only become apparent after a few hours of play. I suspect the beta was less about finding andUpdate 3/14: Login issues seem to be fixed, but there are still major problems with this game. We all know about the forced online and small map size, but I haven't seen too many people mention the bugs. Remember how the beta was capped at 1 hour? There are TONS of issues, and most of them only become apparent after a few hours of play. I suspect the beta was less about finding and squashing bugs, and more about publicity. I've had every single sim become homeless for no apparent reason, hundreds of thousands of simoleans disappear from my treasury, buses and trade centers refuse to work despite there being no traffic, and power to cities going out upon logging, taking several in-game days before it decides to turn on again. The list goes on. Now, the SimCity franchise is no stranger to bugs, but these are literally game-ending because there is no save ability. There are questionable gameplay mechanics too, such as the inter-connectivity of cities, where a single 'bad' player can ruin a game, or the crippling simplicity of the transit, job and housing system. The latter has only become apparent in the last few days, and it indicates everything Maxis/EA told us about sophisticated AI and massive amounts of route calculations was a lie. Google it and see for yourself. SimCity is not a 'sim' in any sense of the word, and I can't recommend it to anyone. Expand
  91. Mar 6, 2013
    I have now wasted hours of my time. I rebuild, then get disconnected and loose everything. Rebuild, get disconnected, and loose everything. Not being able to save your game on something like this is absurd. Whoever came up with this idea should be fired, and take the idiot who approved it with you. In an attempt to prevent piracy, they have angered the people that actually paid forI have now wasted hours of my time. I rebuild, then get disconnected and loose everything. Rebuild, get disconnected, and loose everything. Not being able to save your game on something like this is absurd. Whoever came up with this idea should be fired, and take the idiot who approved it with you. In an attempt to prevent piracy, they have angered the people that actually paid for the game. I have no idea why they even bother. People that pirate the game either have no money to buy, or would not even if they did. They are not your customers, the people that pay are, focus on that. PLEASE! Expand
  92. Mar 5, 2013
    This game not worth 1199 rub (40$) permanent online, small mayor function, not even close to simcity 4. it/s like sim city social 2.0. What game will EA corporation dump next
  93. Mar 5, 2013
    Always on single player... almost unbelievable! Why do companies insist on trying to tackle piracy with a nuclear bomb, when pirates get a better gaming experience in the end, and legitimate customers are left with a horrible one?

Another EA train wreck
  94. Mar 5, 2013
    Always online DRM, tiny cities and no game saves. Your review must be at least 150 characters long. Your review must be at least 150 characters long. Your review must be at least 150 characters long.
  95. Mar 5, 2013
    As if the always-online DRM wasn't enough, there was a queue to play single player. This is a disgrace to the SimCity franchise. The city size is a joke, probably will be DLC to get more land to build on. Don't buy this trash.
  96. Mar 5, 2013
    drm store dlc social multiplayer? No thanks.

Also, the cities are so small that they are all the same, this game is dumb and just a money milker. There is no space for creativity or challenge.
  97. Mar 5, 2013
    I left a review earlier about the game it's still a ZERO but lots of people saying the negative reviews are fake on here so the game gets a bad reception. Well I say go to amazon and read the verified purchased customer reviews same stuff as here. Although amazon rates on a star system SimCity sits at a 1.3 Star rating.
  98. Mar 5, 2013
    Always-online DRM, which depends on unreliable EA servers; overly simplified gameplay (to the point where underground was removed completely); city size is small; zoning is faulty and reduced (no farms and such)
  99. Mar 5, 2013
  100. Mar 5, 2013
    The plots of land you get to use for your so-called city only covers about 8 by 8 city blocks. This is ridiculously small compared to previous Simcity games. To make things worse, you cannot build a city directly adjacent to your first city. Instead your other cities in the region are about 5 miles away. Forget trying to build any real-world cities. As for the gameplay, roads cost allThe plots of land you get to use for your so-called city only covers about 8 by 8 city blocks. This is ridiculously small compared to previous Simcity games. To make things worse, you cannot build a city directly adjacent to your first city. Instead your other cities in the region are about 5 miles away. Forget trying to build any real-world cities. As for the gameplay, roads cost all your money, and there's next to no new buildings in the game. I'm going back to play Simcity 4. Do not waste your money on this game. Expand
  101. Mar 14, 2013
    I am assessing this game based on my 25 hours of experience. This game is fun up to a point but the mid to late game mechanics are horrendously broken. Traffic is a hideous monster to control and if you do by some miracle manage to organised it the game is incredibly easy. The only challenge is traffic management. It feels more and more like a glorified Facebook game without the socialI am assessing this game based on my 25 hours of experience. This game is fun up to a point but the mid to late game mechanics are horrendously broken. Traffic is a hideous monster to control and if you do by some miracle manage to organised it the game is incredibly easy. The only challenge is traffic management. It feels more and more like a glorified Facebook game without the social game requirements. Region trading is horrendously broken, commuters commute but when they do the traffic is so horrendous because you only have one entrance to your city. EVEN WITH mass transit maxed out including trains and boats, it's just ridiculous. The online requirements suck too, I've lost a 9 hour city due to the servers. Also the region play is rubbish due to the servers, I was playing a region with my girlfriend (hot seat style) and I waited TEN MINUTES for the servers to update our own singleplayer region so I could send power to my girlfriends city. This is just dumb, it isn't fun. tldr: it starts out very fun but after you get over the "creativity" aspect of creating a city it becomes very boring and very broken. Might be good in a few months when it's patched although many features are not as advertised (such as "full simulation" which is a flat out lie). The DRM just makes everything worse. Collapse

Given enough patches and DCLs, SimCity might eventually become the game that should have been on its release and justify the ambiguous choices that its developers made. [May 2013]
  2. May 9, 2013
    Hints at great things but is limited by small cities and promises it can't deliver on. [June 2013, p.80]
  3. May 9, 2013
    There's more problems with this game than I have words. Looks great though. [June 2013, p.80]