2.2

1. Mar 8, 2013
    the server is full, he give me a choice to choose another server but the save on new server is not sync, that mean you have to play a new game in every new server what a stupid design
  2. Mar 5, 2013
    this game too many problems. please dont buy, thanks all for reading. Server reached maximum capacity and so I was placed in a queue and was not allowed to play a SINGLE PLAYER GAME because it forces me to constantly be online. So despite my flawless internet connection, EA's incompetence has forced me to postpone playing a game I'd like to play on my own anyway. I have played the beta and the city size limits are awful. But it isn't all bad, Expand
  3. Mar 5, 2013
    Being forced to always be online is pathetic. The servers have had issues since launch and i'm unable to play the game. I've started my city twice now and have had the servers crash and roll back.

What a joke.
  4. Mar 6, 2013
    The minimum needed to be called a game is the ability to play it. As i cannot play the game that i purchased it is of no function or value, it is not worth the money i payed for it. If i wanted to play this game after the launch date i would have waited and bought it when it goes on sale. This always on must end, DO NOT BUY. DOES NOT WORK.
  5. Mar 12, 2013
    How soon we forget. The uproar over Simcity started long before the game was even released. The issue never had anything to do with whether or not the servers worked properly, it had to do with the fact that they shouldn't be necessary at all. Until EA removes the online requirement this game remains a very deserved zero.
  6. Mar 6, 2013
    Server reached maximum capacity and so I was placed in a queue and was not allowed to play a single player game because it forces me to constantly be online.
  7. Mar 11, 2013
    A classic example of how not to do it. Servers are usually busy or down. Always-online DRM. The game lags like crazy. It's over-whelmingly easy. Half the content of the game feels like it's missing. In short, this game's launch is probably the worst of any video game ever. A clear sign that it's about time to crash the Titanic that is EA.
  8. Mar 13, 2013
    Again a crappy game from EA, which was elected as worst company in the USA.
    They ended up even above tobacco- and arms manufacturers.
    After ruining Fifa and Battlefield 3 with bugs, DRM crap and payable DLC... this is just the next game being wiped out by EA.
    NEVER have I ever given any game a straight zero. But spend so much money on a game you expect it to work. And if it's not
    working because of a total despicable feature like the obligation to be always online... that's just humiliating and not worth spending 1 buck to it. Expand
  9. Mar 5, 2013
    What the is this piece of EA pls stahp. This is a bunch of bull****, most players cant even start up the ****ing game without it crashing, not to mention the fact you need to be ONLINE TO PLAY ****ING SINGLEPLAYER.

DRM/10
  10. Mar 5, 2013
    Terrible game overall, here is why: - Obtrusive DRM which requies you to be online AT ALL TIMES to play this even single player - The city size is far far too small, this is more like "sim small town" than "sim city" - Limited compared to previous simcity games, im all for new games but they must improve on what came before, unfortunately this game does not, there isnt even subways in it!

- Possible the absolute worst most damning thing... there is a good game in there somewhere but it is utterly handicapped by the previous points this is IMO the worst thing. I wouldn't mind so much if it were complete garbage but it could have been so much better than what it is.
  11. Mar 5, 2013
    Everything about this game feel wrong, from the always on drm for a single player to the tiny maps, to EA's terrible product support. Its a shame but the have killed anther franchise. I was big fan before and will continue to play the older games long after EA shuts down the severs and kills this game.
  12. Mar 5, 2013
    For a game that is largely single player, they screwed up big time. DRM and an always-on connection required? I think not. After Diablo, I thought I"d give the single-player always-on style one more shot, but nope. From now on I refuse to buy a game with an always-on connection unless it's an MMO. Minimal DRM is the only way to keep me playing these games, because EA screwed up royally on this one. Expand
  13. Mar 5, 2013
    What a waste of $60! 1. Several times my game got disconnected from server. There were issues deleting (abandoning) my failed cities, and I would play for 3 10 minutes and it would crash to desktop (that happened 5 times).
    2. My first three tries at building a city failed miserably. You are ALWAYS behind the curve on 'bad' things that need your attention... a monster came and destroyed
    my cash generating business (can't shut off disasters)... I ran out of water just when I was starting to get going... pollution and not enough money to remedy. 3. I switched to sandbox mode and still got tons of people complaining at my city center that 'pollution or sewage was too high and they are supposed to be toggled off?
    4.I feel like a fool for pre-ordering such a lousy game I liked the other Simcities this one need lots of work yet!
  14. PL3
    Mar 5, 2013
    critic review is just bullsh*t. DO NOT SPEND 60$ on this. The city is just TOO DAMN SMALL. Server always busy. Feel exaclty like the diablo syndrom. ANd the game just tell you what to do. you do it and that sit. We need more police car!! do it. done. We need more classroom!! do it. done. over and over again.
  15. Mar 6, 2013
    It's incredible how the greed for money can ruin user experience. And those EA guys trying to convince us that DRM implemented in the game is totally alright. Seriously EA i stop buying your games you don't deserve it. YOu deserve to die as a company that kills nice IPs and gamedev companies. That DRM that doesn't allow you to play SP is just a last drop.
  16. Mar 6, 2013
    Overall the game could be great, when playable. Finding a server at night is impossible, forcing you to join another server, which in turn you end up doing the tutorial repeatedly. Then you might get some game progress to be greeted with the game crashing and not being able to rejoin, or the map gets corrupted. If it were non reliant on being connected to an overseas server, it might be a good game. the beta was a blast, but much less people on at that times as well. Graphics are good, you can turn them all the way up on a good system and plays well on lower system under the lower settings. Expand
  17. Mar 6, 2013
    Always on DRM, PAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT BUY. Sim city for me anyways is a game I come back to time and time again. I still play the Old sim cities. I am certain I will have problems with this game in future. For this to be an always online game and EA to have problems with Servers on launch is a disgrace
  18. Mar 6, 2013
    Ah sim city, we meet again. I have lost so many days/weeks/months of my life to your series. From the original all the way to now. I find that I have a childish giddyness inside me as I login to the game. It seems that the serves are full, well I guess I can wait, if I could give Diablo 3 the patience that its launch needed, then I most certainly can give sim city as much patience. I just hope it's not as much of a let down. Front of the queue at last, I whiled away the wait time with my plans for the grand city of "Our Land", and so begin my first steps back in the land of sim city. While playing I must say that I did enjoy the game. It was beautiful and deep (obligatory that's what she said comment!) My city was beginning to take shape, no longer a village but a town! Then I got dropped:-( You see, I live in an area where I can only get a pretty poor internet connection. 3MB, and it isn't the most reliable either. There are the random drop offs and what not. Now, none of this is EA's fault, however when I reconnected I was back in the queue.... again..... and so I waited..... and unfortunately due to a phonecall I missed my window to get back into the game so I was placed into the queue again.

Now I admit, I should have been prepared for the always on, but due to my current experience's with their queue and their DRM I have found myself unable to play the single player game I wanted to play. This has left a bitter taste in my mouth and has seriously got me contemplating a pirated copy: I don't pirate "arrrrrr" as I have a job, so I purchase all my games. But this experience made me feel that pirating could be the way to go. Which is a shame, as there is a shining jewel of a game beneath this stool water that is the always on DRM.
  19. Mar 7, 2013
    I purchased this game yesterday; have yet to be able to play it (can't get on a server). I'm going with a 1 vs a zero because the load screen is really cool to look at. More importantly, there are some nice online video so you can just watch others play vs wasting your day or nights building your own city. I highly, I repeat, highly recommend you purchase this game if you DON'T want to play it. Hope this has been helpful! Expand
  20. Mar 5, 2013
    EA over it's fans and destroys another franchise. Why they didn't just publish this to Facebook instead of through Origin is the question. If you're a fan of DRM, empty games that you need DLC to make even remotely interesting, and having your game become unplayable whenever EA decides, I can highly reccomend this game to you.
  21. Mar 5, 2013
    What a waste of money. First off the cities are tiny (making you constantly have to re-start and build over from scratch), the AI it horrible, and the interface is lackluster at best. Than you have the perma-DRM which totally wrecks the game- if your connection hiccups you can't save so you have to restart from the last save when you had internet access. The game crashes frequently too which makes this even more frustrating. I'm giving this a "1" just for the Sim City name outside of the little bit of nostalgia this brings back to Maxis' pre-EA classic there is nothing of value in this game. Expand
  22. Mar 5, 2013
    I did not want to do a review based on DRM.....but I was left no choice. I love the game, I would give it a 9 out of 10, if the DRM was better. Even when I do get into servers, sometimes the server will crash, and I will lose an hour of progress. This really makes the game unplayable. I would prefer no online play rather than this.

Its really a shame EA has done this, probably my last
    purchase from them. Expand
  23. Mar 6, 2013
    I literally signed up just to write a review. The game honestly looks excellent. But I wouldn't know, because I can't play it. 24 hours after purchasing the game (in store) I have yet to be able to login to these servers. And while a DRM-Free version of the game would probably get a 9/10 from me there are legitimate game issues, like small maps) I can't give a positive review to a game I can't play. They've taken my money, and now told me "wait up to a week for the servers to stabilize".

Sorry Maxis, EA has ruined your game
  24. Mar 6, 2013
    I understand that EA wants to earn money but why add DRM for single player??? WHY??? There are just way too many problems with this BS. I go to my summer home and can't play this because I DON'T HAVE INTERNET IN MIDDLE OF NOWHERE!!! Can't you just come up with some anti pirating system that does not need internet connection?
  25. Mar 6, 2013
    NEVER SUPPORT ONLINE DRM FOR SINGLE PLAYER GAMES. Period.
    I cant enjoy this single player game because it forces me to be online. Worse then that EA's servers are broken.

As for gameplay; the city limits are a complete disgrace. You end up with patches of heavy developed squares surrounded by empty grass. Just trash.
  26. Mar 6, 2013
    What a waste of money! I'm was a HUGE fan of the franchise no longer. Glaring flaws like a miniscule 2x2 map, always online play, and no local save games make this unbearable. On top of that and after waiting years for this release, I have to wait 15 minutes in line to play single player!?!
  27. Mar 6, 2013
    Have been a fan ever since the first SimCity. I can't believe EA and their anti-consumer policies. I'll be getting a refund and will never by another EA game. Terrible, just terrible experience.
  28. Mar 6, 2013
    First off, kudos to the developers, I'm sure it's a great game...but you're only getting a 1, and here's why.

As a consumer, you deserve the above user score. When you announced SimCity, you suspected people wouldn't even notice that you'd have always be online in order to enjoy your game...you lied, and now we, the consumer, are eagerly waiting in digital "lineups" to play the game we
    purchased, and expected to enjoy on launch day, and now you're getting what you deserve, that terrible user score on the dreaded Metacritic.

You deserved this, EA. You should have listened, but you didn't. You need to listen closely to the customers suggestions. This game won't do as well as it should have, unfortunately, but that's because of the mistakes you COULD have prevented, again, by listening to US, the consumer.

Always online DRM doesn't work for a core single player game, so DROP IT.

I do not plan on purchasing this game at any point, or even plan to recommend it to my friends/online friends, or even the anonymous internet lurker. My involvement with Origin will be non-existant, especially when all of my friends are on Steam. Origin has nothing to offer to me, or my friends. Consider releasing your products on Steam or GreenManGaming, and we might be able to work something out, but for now, you're not getting any of my money.

Cheers, and enjoy the color red.
  29. Mar 6, 2013
    If the game had an Offline Option after logging in like SC2 had then it wouldn't be that bad of a game. The basic problem this model has is that in the long term you only provision for 20% of your users being online at any one point in time. However, during launch that's not exactly the case. You can easily have 80% or more logging in all at the same time. Without an offline mode to release the stress of everyone logging in you end up with people taking the day off to play and being justifiably upset that they can't even start-up the game. The tutorial could have and should have been an offline option. It would have made it so that people could have a taste of the game without hammering the servers all at once. This model also requires the servers to be up-to-date. If you were able to get on last night and then later this morning you may have found yourself faced with a forced tutorial button that you weren't last night. This is clearly due to the servers being on a different version of the software. The is the most likely cause of game corruptions this morning. A 60$ franchise title is not the time or place to test out new strategies. You should know this will work long before you launch. Instead we're faced with inexperienced admins who didn't know to keep the servers up to date for launch or to turn them Off if they were on the wrong version. This is stuff you only learn with experience, and Sim City was not the time or place to get that experience. This tells me that they're using an Ad-Hoc methodology, and we should expect more hiccups as long as they insist on an instant roll-out of updates and not have the server go though some burn time to make sure it works first. For Single Player the maps are a bit small. You can work around it a bit, and I can see how this encourages Multi-Player. However, I'm the type of person who plays MMOs Single Player so I personally get very little benefit from this model. The game play from prior versions is vastly improved. If you're willing to wait a Month for server load to die down you probably should wait. You'll be able to get a far superior experience if you do. Expand
  30. Mar 6, 2013
    Always online, too small of city space, some good ideas ruined by terrible design choices that should never have been approved. Much like Diablo 3 and its terrible design choices, Sim City has proven it is no longer capable of being the number one city management game. Goodbye Sim City, you used to be cool.
  31. Mar 6, 2013
    The problem here is that the game may indeed be great, epic, huge improvement, etc but with road blocks as big as not being able to play, glitches in menu, unclear saving/loading processes, and horrible game technical support make this an incredibly unreasonable purchase. I looked forward to this game very much and had high hopes even through the low user reviews. But here me now, I have learned the lesson I should have learned when I bought Diablo 3 do not make this purchase. Expand
  32. Mar 6, 2013
    Like I usually do with any extremely hyped game, I didn't sweat not jumping in on launch day. Usually waiting a day or two after means I miss the stress of launch issues (server downtime, game breaking bugs, etc). However, this time it looks like even waiting until the evening on the second day after launch isn't sufficient to shield me from EA's failure. After loading from the disc and waiting for the super slow Origin updater (no matter what anyone tells you, getting roughly 14K down on any modern high speed connection is not your fault but the server sending you files) I finally was able to launch the game.

Boy was I surprised when I was greeted with yet another patch, independent of the Origin one. So the EA controlled content delivery system cannot completely patch the game tied to it? I have to launch the game and use another proprietary updater? Once again I had to wait out a slow update speed, this time without even the benefit of knowing just how slow it was going. But whatever, it will only happen once....hopefully.

Once I completed that patch, I was finally greeted with the server selection screen. I can play!

NOPE! Unable to connect to the SimCity Servers. Please try again. I click Okay and a server is selected for me. I click the play button expecting to get in and start Mayoring it up. I watch the intro showing me all the cool things I will soon be building. The intro finishes and I eagerly click to select my region etc.

NOPE! Server not available. Even though it specifically said it was. So now I have a screen without a functioning button except settings and quit.

So at this point, I have spent $60 and some change to close the game, plop their software on my computer and wait for the incompetents at EA to get off their lazy butts and fix what should have been a known quantity.

If you are going to force persistent online authentication, at least plan for multiple redundancy and overflow. Don't have a few small servers and then act surprised when they are overflowing in a few short minutes. That might have flown 10-15 years ago, but in this day and age it is totally unacceptable for a publishing studio to demonstrate this atrocious lack of planning/

To top it off, if you insist on acting like this was an unexpected event at least have the courtesy to maintain good communication with your customers. At the end of the day, they are the ones who are paying for this useless piece of garbage and if handled properly, may just stay once things settle down. If you do as EA is currently and release sporadic and uninformative propaganda instead, you are only pushing your already dissatisfied customers closer to abandoning the game before it even gets off the ground. To condense since most people don't have the attention span to read for very long here it is:

Don't pretend this wasn't a foregone conclusion with the lack of preload, limited beta that didn't test anything and a gross underestimate of the hardware needed to support the game.

As bad as it sounds, throw some of that money you have stashed in the back at the problem! Add hardware, add connections, whatever needs to be done to remedy the situation. After the explosion is not the time to worry about how much bandages might cost. Fix the problem and then figure out money later.

Provide honest and consistent updates to your player base. Don't lie about what is and isn't being done, don't act like everything is working fine when your entire playerbase is telling you otherwise. The server are not online, no one can play. Constant updates until things are working again should be priority #2, right behind the actual problem resolution. Every 30 minutes to an hour until it's fixed. Not that hard, take a page from other companies.
  33. Mar 7, 2013
    Always ON internet connection No buy

BEWARE: Forced online DRM, will you be playing this 10 years down the track like previous Sim Cities? No, you wont. Played this game for 6 hours. DO NOT BUY IT. I got disconnected from the server 3 times...you cannot save your own game! So there is no more let me test and reload if it doesn't work. I started over at least 10 times while getting used
    to some of the features. Expand
  34. Mar 9, 2013
    This is what happened to SimCity, EA do what EA does best, destroy franchises, they've destroied three seperate franchises in three months (Including SimCity), not bad even at EA standards. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-LE0ycgkBQ
  35. Mar 7, 2013
    I read a good review of the game and was excited to get it. The review was in the tech section of CNN or AP I forget which. I haven't been playing games for quite some time and I was feeling the need lately to immerse myself in a good game. So I went to the Gamestop next to my work and bought the boxed Simcity limited edition. I haven't been in that Gamestop in years. I had the next day off and was planning on wasting it on this game(in a good way like I used to) It's been 5 hours now and I've only been able to partially play the tutorial for about 15minutes. Then when the tutorial had me try to connect to another city I got disconnected from the server, Game Over restart. Well I haven't actually been able to restart so just game over. What I did see looked pretty good but I'm not too sure about this on-line thing. No save/load is difficult for this veteran gamer. I think I'm done with gaming. Gonna go outside for a bike ride. DON'T BUY THIS GAME. To spend $60 on beta testing is totally unacceptable. Don't games get tested before release anymore? Their official website says "Most Anticipated of 2013" did the people responsible for this server disaster not see that info? PS the disparity between user reviews and paid critic reviews is very telling of the BS that they spew. Expand
  36. Mar 5, 2013
    EA paid "critics" who played the largely empty press beta? Check. EA apologists trolling? Check. Another online only required game falling flat on launch? Check. $60 wasted on a game that I can't play cause I thought EA would get it right after the epic failure the Diablo 3 launch was? Check.
  37. Mar 5, 2013
    Thanks for ruining a great game EA games.. The city size limit, DRM and required on-line play are a total failure. And detract from the games visual appeal.. THANK YOU FOR OFFERING REFUNDS TO THOSE WHO WANT THEM. I have already requested my refund and have un installed the game. I will stick with SimCity 4... It works...
  38. Mar 5, 2013
    I've been waiting all day to play this game, however so far ive spent more time waiting to get into the game, and finally when i got into the game, every public region was locked. I managed to build a very small city until the game crashed forcing me to go through all this again. Do not waste your money on this. This always online thing is a terrible idea and does not make sense for a game that could easily be offline. Expand
  39. Mar 5, 2013
    I literally made an account to give this game a 0 and tell everyone it sucks dick. Forced online and so many great features gone, leaves this game to be known as one of the worst in Sim City history...
  40. Mar 5, 2013
    Ignoring all the terrible DRM problems, this game is still awful. You cant have any city building game when your city is so small. If I run out of space in under 2 hours, the game is already bad. There is games where map size isn't that much of a problem, but in city building games, you by default need a large area. The multiplayer interaction is forced, and seeing as I like playing it in single player, that is unacceptable. No point in having 5 cities per regions if they are not always progressing when I am not playing in them. Expand
  41. Mar 5, 2013
    Poor launch experience. Origin claims the release is on march 7th. A large beta test would have fixed all of this. Hopefully some negative reviews will get the message across.
  42. Mar 5, 2013
    I have to agree with most of the people here. The game is huge letdown.
    The always-online DRM is horrible, you have to wait in line to play your game, you can't save your cities to try different things, and worst of all, you can't build a big city because the devs decided that a microscopic map was all we needed.
    If this is the future of gaming, the whole industry is going to plunge into
    oblivion. Expand
  43. Mar 5, 2013
    What a disgrace! I can't even play this game and I can't get a refund. Thank you EA for destroying another franchise and than you Maxis for allowing them. Shame.
  44. Mar 5, 2013
    The launch has been a complete disaster. Single player game is basically unplayable, because of idiotic online DRM implementation. Seriously, if you can't offer good service, just don't offer it. Unfortunately, this is rather typical thing for big publishing companies nowadays. What's even worse, EA doesn't offer refunds for digital purchases. Well, we'll see about that... Apparently, it's not ok to steal their games, but it's ok to take someone's money without consequences. Expand
  45. Mar 5, 2013
    The FarmVille of SimCity titles. This is almost as bad as Civ V. Between the ridiculously small maps, and 'regional building', as well as all the DRM server issues, this has to be as big of a disappointment as Spore.

$80 is a big pill to swallow for this awful representation of SimCity, Ocean. Thanks for killing the series.
  46. Mar 6, 2013
    For a game called Sim City it's certainly dissapointing that you can only build small european towns. What a waste of potential by restricting their users like this, always online is not a deal breaker for me but it's also dissapointing that it results in the game not actually working half the time, EA with their approach to games having to be online and have micro transactions in everything should be ashamed and Maxis should put their foot in the door and not let themselves be pushed around by EA who constantly messes up any IP. Expand
  47. Mar 6, 2013
    Always online even to play singleplayer, and then the server is down. DO NOT BUY! WASTE OF MONEY. EA is clearly buying good reviews from critics. Besides, they kill all the good series anyway.
  48. Mar 6, 2013
    The maps are unbelievably small and that scale takes away from any real experience in creativity you could have. I've created about 5 "cities" in the same region, and have had others join my region and fill about 3. I've basically seen every feature in about 6-8 hours. If you don't zone a formulaic grid of high density streets around a central avenue, you won't get anywhere near 100k population. The size of the cities is an absolute joke considering many aspects that provided depth in sc4 have been removed. Yes, I can zoom in and watch my sims, but what part of watching them is considered "gameplay". I guess it's no big deal that I've explored the same space 5 times and plopped almost every item in the first day of playtime. Avoid buying this, it's nowhere near the quality of game you'd expect. It needs a serious patch right now to address the scale. A "major sports arena" or other large park or landmark will take up so much space(a few "blocks"), that you won't want to place many at all, because it will knock out about 5-10%(not exaggerating, maps are that small) of your housing! Expand
  49. Mar 6, 2013
    I cant believe how disastrous this "final product" is (though we all know this games current dlc is just the beginning). No manual, less than helpful tutorial, unbelievably small maps, utter lack of support, draconian wait times, bugs abound, coupled with the obviously massaged critic reviews that will inevitably "trick" less people into buying the game than EA thinks, this has got to be one of the worst follow-ups to one of my all time favorite game series. I still play SimCity 4 to this day. EA has failed the gaming community...... Expand
  50. Mar 12, 2013
    I originally reviewed this game on day two after the North American release. I rated it 7 out of 10. I am changing my review to a 2 out of 10.

When I first reviewed the game, there were serious server issues. While they are still lingering, and servers are constantly coming down and back up daily, the game is now at least playable for an extended amount of time. In my original
    review, I praised the graphics, interface, deep simulation, and the way they mesh together. I stand by my assessment of the graphics and interface. However, upon playing the game uninterrupted for several hours, as well as doing number crunching, and reading other accounts of people doing the same kinds of observations I have been, I've come to the conclusion that the simulation is not nearly as deep as it appears. One of the great features touted by the developers in this game was the 'GlassBox' engine, which supposedly has literally thousands of 'sims' (citizens of your city) being simulated on the EA servers, which allows a realistic and complex city to emerge on your screen without users needing to own a supercomputer. This conveniently provided their rationale for requiring a constant connection to their servers at all times even while playing single player. This is manifestly false. You can physically disconnect your internet from your computer while playing and the supposedly server-side simulation continues to hum along without a hitch. My complaint here is not about the requirement of the internet connection (though there are many reasons to dislike it), but by the completely invented reasoning behind its inclusion.

In addition to this complaint, there are an entire host of client-side issues which are either bugs, or simply non-features to begin with. The supposedly intelligent traffic system in which "everyone has a home and a workplace unless unemployed", is also false. The "simulation" does not simulate actions of the sims, it simply spawns cars and moves them around in a fashion which would *appear* to show a collection of individual behaviors. Essentially, it "simulates" the simulation. The same can be said for the industrial system, in which supposedly residents work and produce goods, which are then shipped off to businesses to be sold to citizens that made money working & producing other goods. This is also false. Despite showing lots of big numbers when you look at your population statistics regarding "shipped freight", "goods sold" etc, these are essentially arbitrary numbers based on the population of your city (which also over time becomes greatly inflated compared to the number of actual "sims" visible moving about your city) and the makeup of your zones which you have placed. The businesses do not recieve shipments from industry, they restock automatically at the beginning of each game day, regardless of the availability of goods either in your city or your region. It is entirely possible and workable to have a city with zero industry and only residents and shops, with no imports, exports, or production, but the city will "thrive" on. In short, the much touted "depth" of simulation is a complete sham. The real achievement by Maxis is the ability of the game to pull the wool over your eyes and show you what purports to be a much more realistic and complex simulation than previous SimCity titles when in fact, the game is far simpler, less realistic, more limited, and worst of all, dysfunctional to the core.
  51. Mar 6, 2013
    If you buy this game, you just tell EA that cloudsaving is totally okay and you have no problem with not being able to play in case the servers are down. You'll also tell EA that it's perfectly fine to buy a SIM CITY game that in reality should rather be called Sim Village, while you're eagerly waiting for the DLC that gives you HUGE maps like they were in the earlier games of the series. EA, you're nothing short of disgusting! Don't buy this game, because that's our only voice to tell the publishers enough is enough! Expand
  52. Mar 6, 2013
    This game has been such a disappointment considering what it could have been. While the game play itself is decent the lack of city space (Only 2km square) and the obvious nickel dime that EA is planning by not having basic city options, such as subways, and already including $20 of additional buildings in an $80 purchase makes this game not worth it until you find it on a discount rack.

Oh and did I mention its DRM requires always online internet connections. This little gem of and idea just won't go away even though gamers have strongly voiced their disdain against it. I guess EA liked being named 2012's worst American company that they wanted to be in the running for it again in 2013. Until EA completely sells Maxis to a competent software company that listens to gamers avoid any and all EA or Maxis games including this POS!
  53. Mar 13, 2013
    Things I've run into: 1) Constant server connection issues 2) CIty sometimes not saved 3) Schools completely empty despite sims complaining they want to go to school 4) Sometimes can't export goods, it just sits there in a depot 5) Sudden and extreme drops in budget 6) Giant stalagmites rising out of the ground (no joke) 7) 10 firetrucks all going to the same fire, but ignoring the other ones. This also happens for other vehicles.
    8) etc. etc etc.

These are just bugs, apart from this, the multiplayer is absolutely broken as there is barely any real interaction, the group chat doesn't work usually and the city sizes are terrible. I feel comfortable saying that this product probably shouldn't have been released until it was actually done. Thanks for ****ing up the franchise!
  54. Mar 17, 2013
    SimCity is finally *playable.* I'm not going to bother with the always-on DRM pros/cons/WTF EAs except to say I don't feel like it helps the game at all. (Most of you probably have your own opinions on this, and I'll bet 99% of you agree with me) So, the game itself... it is a more simplified game than SimCitys past. And when I say simplified, I mean really simplified in almost every way. For a newbie to simulation strategy games, then SimCity may be a decent start for you. The mechanics of the game are easy to learn. The sizes of your cities are tiny. Tiny to the point where if you know what you are doing, you will fill that entire space to maximum capacity within about 6 hours of game time. You can potentially have a city half covered in skyscrapers in that amount of time. That's with Llama speed too (the 2nd fastest game pace, and the fastest available as of writing). So, from there, you either keep growing in... or you make a new city. What does making a new city do? Well, it freezes your other city for starters (your city only progresses when YOU are inside of it), and you basically start a brand new city from complete scratch. Cities in the same region are connected in a sense, regions can share almost any asset possible, ranging from workers, to resources, to wealth. What happens in one city can also make impacts on the rest. Cities in the same region are very intertwined with each other. For example, I have a city in the same region as a friend. My friend is specializing in industry, however, I'm specializing in tourism. Sadly, I'm downwind of him, so all that air pollution he produces is making its way into my region, causing widespread illness. Luckily, hes willing to get those factories upgraded, but there is nothing I can do to force him. Are you seeing the pros and cons of this? On the topic of specializations, while we are mentioning it, they are helpful, but they don't feel significant. What I mean by that is, you could go ahead ignoring all city specializations and be fine. Maxis seemed to emphasize these, but they feel like an afterthought to me unless I am specifically looking for a coal mine or something. So, if you are a long time SimCity fan, this game is going to be a mixed bag. I'm sure many of you will enjoy some of the enhancements, but I'm also certain that that same many of you will loathe a lot more of them. My final score is 4/10. SimCity is a game that has a lot going for it, but the complexity has been diminished severely and relying on the SimCity servers is a pain (I guarantee the servers WILL be the thing you will hate most about SimCity). Otherwise, the game itself plays well when the servers are working. Expand
  55. Mar 5, 2013
    Preordered the game and for that Origin decided that I can only download it on march 7 2 days after initial release. Also people who were lucky to be able to download cannot play because of the server problems. Big FAT Fail on the franchise!
  56. Mar 5, 2013
    Being Simcity the original fan, simcity 2000, simcity 4 fan this game sucks. It takes everything that was good with simcity, makes it smaller, more simple, easier to master and more stupid. The graphics looks horrible and there is no immersion or feel that you are actually controlling a city.

This is a feebleminded game.
  57. Mar 5, 2013
    I made the effort to create an account just to express how terrible it is that we actually have to boycott what looks like a fun game developed by Maxis simply because EA is making worse and worse decisions every year when it comes to DRM. This could be a great game but we in the community have been forced by EA to think about the fact that buying this game is supporting a direction in anti-piracy that absolutely harms the paying customer.

As gamers, we have to put a stop to this Paying customers are getting screwed over by companies like EA in an attempt to curb piracy, but it's not working, and EA executives refuse to accept this reality. Instead, they continue to wrap the games their developers create with terrible, often-times game-breaking DRM (as many owners of this game have already reported), with absolutely no concern for their actual customers and what they want. As of this moment I am so appalled by how far EA is willing to go to fight piracy, that I'm leaning towards never buying another EA game until they show some kind of wisdom and understanding of the reality of gaming as it is today. Piracy exists and it will always exist. The one thing that will never change is that good games that treat it's customers with respect will sell and make the producers a lot of money. This is what EA needs to do, stop fiddling with game-breaking DRM and just produce the games that we want to buy and play. EA, over the last decade or so you've shown us customers decreasing amounts of respect and faith, so you no longer deserve ours.
  58. Mar 5, 2013
    Sadly, I actually bought this game. It's unplayable. The servers are too busy, and they make you wait an insulting 30 minutes between retries. If you do make it into a server, you'll have to keep playing on that one or lose all your progress. If you haven't bought it yet, don't.
  59. Mar 5, 2013
    I may be going out on a limb, but I think most people play Simcity to build a huge, populated city.. Limiting everyone to a 2x2km map has to be the most ass backwards idea ever imagined. Forcing me to go online to play a single player game tops it all off... Can someone else take over the franchise?
  60. Mar 5, 2013
    To everybody that is criticizing people for giving bad reviews of this game maybe you are the ones way too "understanding" of EA. It is one thing for a game to be required to be online, yes fine. You have to be online at all points. Wonderful. No problem.

Where the problem comes in? The problem comes in when the fact you can't even PLAY the game because of this online server even if
    you are intending to play SINGLE PLAYER. I understand they are trying to take measures against piracy but seriously, this is the wrong way to do so.

You should not be charging people full retail price of a game so they can sit there and be told that "oh hey the servers are full, we took your money so it's okay but as soon as some server space frees up you can gladly enjoy the single player experience."

Absolutely pathetic on EA's behalf and they should be ashamed of this launch. I'm giving this game a 0. Why? Because I was in queue for 4 hours and still have NO IDEA WHAT THE GAMEPLAY IS LIKE. I didn't pay money to be thrown into a queue.
  61. Mar 5, 2013
    City size is inexplicably small. I was able to fill 5 entire plots in about 4 hours of play. Unfortunately, it took more than 8 hours to get 4 hours of play, due to the servers constantly crashing. And even though the game is usually played solo, you have to have an internet connection and connect to the servers in order to play. Utter failure. Ill be seeking a refund as the game has no replay value whatsoever. Expand
  62. Mar 5, 2013
    I would love to give you a great review on game play, but due to DRM, needing a constant, always on internet connection, and server management, I CANT EVEN PLAY THE GAME!! I already lost the first town I had because the server that I started it on was gone, so I had to start another. Now I cant play because the game can't find any servers. The game times out and quit's.

Great job EA!
    With DRM, the ONLY people you screw are the people who pay for this game. The PIRATES already have this game cracked and are building themselves great cities. Expand
  63. Mar 5, 2013
    I am so dissapointed I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt but they have let us down proving once and for all that always on DRM can never and should never be industry standard on anything relating to single player content. This I can only assume is a an antipiracy counter measure that is about to backfire massively the only thing that this will achieve is to encourage piracy. Also on the TOS claims I haven't read them personally but I can assure you I will be checking my games in future I have never rented games I do not intend to start now I would rather quit the medium than allow these major corporation dictate how and when I can play my games. I realise a lot of you are enjoying this game and you have to understand no one is saying its a bad game there saying it's bad business and bad practice and just saying oh well that's the way the industry is headed is just burying your head in the sand gamers are an extremely powerful group unfortunately we are fractured it is time we took a stand stopped fighting ourselves and put our consumer power to test against these people it is the only way things will ever change. Expand
  64. Mar 5, 2013
    Extremely unimpressed by the changes made to a once loved franchise. Smaller "cities" (towns), DRM that requires me to be connected to the internet (what?! SimCity was what I went to play when I wasn't able to get online) horrible servers, DLC available on day one (if we're required to get onto your shop just to play the game, why didn't we get all content for the game on day one? Anything after that point I understand, but shoving DLC we have to pay for down our throats when we're supposed to be enjoying our brand new game? Your ads are on my main menu for Christs sake, I expect that from a free to play game, not one I just dropped $80 on.

The new SimCity literally a better looking "Farmville". Get rid of the online DRM so people can play and get out of those massive queue's, enlarge cities so we can build what we want, and please let me save to my hard drive so every 15 minutes I don't get disconnected from your sub-par servers.

Signed,
    A long time fan utterly disappointed
  65. Mar 5, 2013
    Unplayable. Completely ridiculous to pay 60 bucks for what is really a single player game and then not be able to play due to server issues. EA are thieves
  66. Mar 5, 2013
    Be aware that this is a 100% online game. i only discovered this today. not only are people having to wait to log on to servers like an MMO launch, but i actually got booted and now i can get back on for more than a few seconds. There are no save games and no loading. you have no control over this. the game let me play for about 30mins offline. then it wouldn't let my place buildings or advance time etc. i restarted and it didnt save anything since my last connection. I haven't played EA games for years because of crap like this and now i returned for this 1 game and i get screwed around again. Its my own fault for trusting them again. Such a shame Expand
  67. Mar 5, 2013
    This game isn't functional, don't waste your money.

If you hoped for a rewarding city building experience based on the long running Simcity brand, you'll be sorely disappointed. Small cities and social gimmicks are all you'll find in this reboot. Play a facebook game and you can have most of the experience without the dysfunctional drm.
  68. Mar 5, 2013
    Some aspects of the game are good, but the constant DRM means you often get errors when trying to start your city. For the past few hours I have been getting an error where I can't start a city. Also, almost every time I restart the game I have to re-do the tutorial all over again because there must be a problem with their cloud storage. TL;DR You pay for a game and get terrible service. I am going to try and get a refund. Expand
  69. Mar 5, 2013
    Ea, f*** everything, you know the REAL reason about cities are small? Its simple... They will CHARGE YOU in microtransactions for terrain expand, if you want a bigger terrain, you will have to buy it, per section. Why this game doesn't support mods? Because they will launch a bunch of DLCs for you tune up your experience. Also i cant forget the god damn DMR, and for the fun sake, this is a pain in our asses! And about the stupid queue to connect in server and finally start play the game? I bought this and COULD NOT PLAY due the server difficulties.

JUST ANOTHER GAME EA SCREWED
  70. Mar 5, 2013
    Complete and total failure by EA to anticipate server loads. Game is unplayable in North America due to servers full with extremely long queues. Europe Servers finally opened up in the middle of the night there.
  71. Mar 5, 2013
    Not only is it required to have an internet connection at all times to play the game, it forces you to download Origin which is EA's sad excuse to capitalize on Steam's success. Day one there are persistent server issues that make the game unplayable and to top it off many gamers who can play are losing saves because all save games are held on the server. This is absolutely ridiculous. If I were to go into a movie theater and the projector couldn't display the movie I just paid for, I'd get my money back. This is the reason why people hate you EA. This is the reason why I avoid purchasing any games made by you. Maxis, I'm sure this is a wonderful game and thank you for your work as a developer. I am truly sorry EA screwed you guys and many of your fans will never get the chance to play your game...including the ones who bought it. Expand
  72. Mar 6, 2013
    This game would be much better if it was actually playable. User interface failures on epic levels (I am unable to even see the buttons that are needed to progress through the tutorial, and there is very poor support in the manuals to assist this process), Preposterously bad DRM, (this is a single player game, no matter how much they want you to be able to interact with your neighbors) and depressingly small cities (even when the game is playable you are limited because of the forced "multiplayer" nature of the game) all combine to make a depressingly awful experience. If you don't own it, don't buy it. Expand
  73. Mar 6, 2013
    EA has lost my business forever! I can't even play the game by myself; have to have an Internet connection and there is no guarantee the server will save your game! EA saw this coming and did nothing to fix it before it actually became a problem. With all the preorders, how in the hell were they not able to fix this problem! EA is a bunch of turds!
  74. t_h
    Mar 6, 2013
    Always online DRM blows hard. What if someone wanted to play while abroad, offline or in an area with no internet connection? There are those who love multiplayer games and there are those who love their single player games. SimCity will always be remembered for catering to the latter. "These are games that a lot of people like to play single-player," says Graham Smith, the editor of PC Gamer magazine. "People don’t want to play with other people. They want to play alone."

Way to ruin an excellent single player franchise, EA.
  75. Mar 6, 2013
    TL;DR Here lies the corpse of SimCity, slain by the dishonorable EA.

Don't even waste your time or your money, let alone give another cent to EA, please just don't do it. You're basically paying for a neutered SimCity that removes many key features in exchange for "Always online" to play a strictly SINGLE PLAYER GAME. Besides the Always Online, DRM, bad graphics, neutered gameplay, full
    servers that don't enable you to even play, and just about everything else that could go wrong, this game could have been released for free and been just as bad. All the critic scores having an average of 91 could make me puke, welcome to the current state of paid reviews.I can go dig out the disk (well you don't need one actually) for SimCity 2000 right now and play it. What are the chances, that in 13 years, that you'll be able to play this pile of garbage? EA will have to cancel the servers or release an offline version, but I wouldn't even bet on those scumbags to do that. Expand
  76. Mar 6, 2013
    Awful game. This is not SimCity. This is SimVillage. You cannot build a city: for starters, a 2 by 2 kilometre map is far from a city. I get real cities are many hundreds of square kilometres, and this would be impossible to simulate, but 8 by 8 km would provide satisfactory room. Honestly, it takes just a few hours to fill up a city. Secondly, the cities are separated by retarded open land, and cities are "in a bubble", contradictory to Lucy Bradshaw and others. If city tiles were contiguous, small maps wouldn't be such a problem. but then roads and rail would still be fixed in place another thing that really annoys me. The graphics are fantastic and the gameplay is great, but this doesn't mean much when I play for a few an hour and have fully developed my city. Then, there's Origin. I couldn't play SimCity because of EA's pathetic platform for almost ten hours, unable to download it. Once I did download it, I took me half and hour to eventually connect to a server. Simcity's online-only aspect has bit EA on the backside, proving that, for now, it is not a reliable way to deliver a game. I've played SimCity 3000 and 4, and it looks like I will continue to do so after this train-wreck.

Please, avoid this game, you will be disappointed (unless you're just a casual "gamer")
  77. Mar 6, 2013
    Garbage DRM, Windows only. Really? In this day and age, Windows is old news; cross-platform is the future. Get with the times Devs. These big game companies are dying, grasping for air with reboots and old content.
  78. Mar 6, 2013
    The level of disdain that this company must have for its customers is unreal. To force paying customers into an "always-on-line" system for an ostensibly single-player game is already a dangerous, anti-consumer road for the industry to go down. But then to have that system be a miserable failure at launch? And this after a extensive Beta? Wow. I sincerely hope their sales take a hit, because I'd hate to think that EA could get away with this kind of business practice and still make a massive profit. Expand
  79. Mar 6, 2013
    EA ruins a great franchise. Always on DRM means this game will not endure into the future and that paying customers cannot play a game they paid for. EA's policy of Nickel-and-Dime downloadable content policy makes you pay a ton for the right to pay a ton for the game. Tiny cities go against the classic gameplay.
  80. Mar 6, 2013
    I'm not the type to complain over every little fault in a game, especially one as ambitious as SC5 right after release. But little faults aren't this game's problem it's massive, fundamental design decisions that have completely changed the way this game is to be played, and overwhelmingly not for the better.

City size too small this is a mind-blower. Did the developers really think
    people would rather have nearly invisible microeconomic individual sim simuation rather than the ability to build full, complete cities that didn't look like ridiculous postage stamps? I get that it's a performance issue my machine is a beast let me have bigger cities. Let us ALL have bigger cities and get rid of the unhelpful low-level modeling. We came to build cities first, and enjoy drill-down metrics later.

Always-on DRM: I don't like this mechanism in general, but I don't dismiss it out of hand either. For some online games, it can be useful to limit or prevent hacking and cheating. Diablo 3 needed that, and even though it takes away a lot from the game and can add much frustration, it has its positive points as well. But I cannot for the life of me figure out why in the hell SC5 has a mandatory on-line requirement to simply play the game. It makes no sense whatsoever. A good multiplayer option is always nice, and hopefully it actually works in this game, unlike some other city sims of late, but Sim City is at its core a single-player game that invites the user to experiment, tweak, mess around and generally goof off sometimes. Now? You can't even set a save point to go back to. You make a mistake, too bad. You ruin your economy? Start over from the beginning. Does EA not know what a "simulation" is? I didn't sign up for a Roguelike. Of all this game's misfires, this one is the hugest of all. How am I supposed to learn how to build anything efficiently or aesthetically or economically when the game punishes the living crap out of you for experimenting? I mean PUNISH, as in hours and hours of your life wasted, with very little learning payoff. It's a really huge problem that destroys this game. Never mind that the first 3 times I was able to play the game crashed and nothing was saved on the server anyway. But really bugs get fixed, and they don't ultimately deter me. But awful design decisions do.

It's impossible to play this game without almost suffocating in the understanding that this game is going to do everything it can to nickle and dime you to death. Hell, they had DLC available the first day! $60 and I get a no-frills economy model? At least PRETEND like you aren't going to charge for every stupid park and church and billboard or whatever and give me a sense, however fleeting, that I have in my possession a complete game with loads of content. Stuff that was in the initial release of SC2K and SC4 is gone here. Gee, wonder how I can get it. Make a great game, give me great content up front and I will pay at least a little for great NEW content. The cynical microtransaction scheme in place here is ham-fisted and infuriating.

The Glassbox engine is beautiful. The data maps are even moreso. This game is GORGEOUS. I love the tilt-shift look a brilliant design decision. The music is fine and the animations are ok, I hate the stupid Sim language but I can easily get past that. And that's what REALLY kills me this game could be, nay SHOULD be a great game. The technology is there. I mean right there on your machine. Glass box, microeconomic simulation, expensive production all right there waiting to be turned into a really cool game. But the implementation here is so bad, the overall game experience so misguided, and so radically different and worse than any SC before, that this game can ultimately only be considered a huge, massive and crushingly depressing flop. It's hard to imagine that you can take a brilliant game like SC2K or even SC4, add 10+ years and a customer base with PCs literally 1000x more powerful, and THIS is what you get. EA, I have never said this about any game ever, but I want my money back. This is a travesty.
  81. Mar 7, 2013
    I have to say. Wow. Having never written a review for Metacritic, SimCity has all but angered me to the point of voicing my opinion in a sea of others. I'd generally say that writing a review on or very near launch day is counter-productive. There will always be server problems and 0 day bugs, but EA/Maxis/Origin have done an amazing job at an EPIC FAIL.

I gave this some thought. How is
    it fair to rate an entire game based on server issues alone? My conclusion is this: How is it not? I paid for a game that requires an internet connection. Any idiot born since 1970 (or earlier) knows that means the game will require servers. Knowing this, the servers are an integral part of the package. They're just as essential as the premise, design and execution of the game play. Reasonable people should expect that a product they paid for should be available for use. Whether it be the first day or 3285th. Occasional server crashes and bugs are human error and random acts of electrons. 10s of thousands of Twitter reports and FB posts are something different. In my case, I was able to play once in 2 days of trying. In fact, I spent all day trying to play one damn time on any of the servers. I was not able to play.

So, my review is hugely negative. If you think it's unfair to judge a game based on server problems, then you're entitled to your opinion. Me, I'm tired of getting the run-around from mega-corporations and shareholders who only care about greed. I'm sick of 1/2 baked excuses. From day 1 and forward, a game includes all its aspects, and a review should encompass all of it.
  82. Mar 7, 2013
    Get ready not play, and if you do get to play you may randomly lose hours of progress. Online saves are the only type of save games and the servers crash A LOT...
  83. Mar 5, 2013
    The game itself is fine, there are the lacking features tho.
    The size of the space is too small, and theres no farmming.

But forcing me to play online in a game that does not need to be online for a single player portion of it. Sorry, no sale. The nation does not have 95-100% Broadband coverage, and mobile LTE Does not count has internet when it comes to gaming with these caps on the
    top two.

There is no modding system, which should of been BUILT IN when looking at how well sim city 4 has done with modding. But no they claim it will "come". but It will not as they will lose money on DLC, and Add-on packs (see sims 3) Do not buy the game unless they fix this, or someone finds a way to force the game offline.
  84. Mar 18, 2013
    Unfortunately this game is so full of bugs and issues that it's obvious that EA is still releasing unfinished products for the free testing that the paying public is expected to polish up for them. Why pay in house testers minimum wage with overtime when you can just release it and get thousands of bug reports from the public.... this is EA's business model. I used to test for them and do product support and still over a decade later NOTHING has changed, IN fact EA is worse about it now than ever. D3, ME3, now this... The more we (customers) keep buying from them the more the investors think it works and they want to do this more. BOYCOTT EA Until they release fully tested products that are playable and not based solely on DRM and micro transaction greed. BOYCOTT EA! Expand
  85. Mar 5, 2013
    This launch is a disaster. You can only play online, your cities are saved on some server which hasn't been stable on day 1. I'm usually forgiving when I encounter those problems on a MMORPG, but Simcity isn't.

Please skip this game. At least for few months.
  86. Mar 5, 2013
    This is why PC games will never, ever be able to compete with consoles. PC games are so concerned trying to counteract piracy they cripple their game. Just to play this game by myself I have to wait until the servers are online and not full. This game does not allow you to save locally; so don't experiment on your city and hope that neither your internet connection or their servers go down. My guess is that the maps were downsized because the developers do not want you saving locally, making your saves to the cloud smaller. Same goes for terraforming. Innovation in this game is absent and the enjoyment I have had playing this game was due to not playing a Sim City game in such a long time. Expand
  87. Mar 5, 2013
    DON"T BUY THIS! I never given a game a 0/10 before cause I mean how can a game be 0? I have played a lot of bad games but this one goes beyond that to the point of insulting. This is my first 0 because of all the reason already stated so well by others. I should have known better and I'm done with origins for good. At this rate maybe gaming altogether if this is an outlook to the future. It reminds me of the National Lampoon;s Vegas vacation quote every time I buy EA. "Why don't you give me half the money you were going to bet, then we'll go out back, I'll kick you in the nuts and we'll call it a day!" Expand
  88. Mar 31, 2013
    Origin and EA's DRM scheme is horrible. That aside, the game itself doesn't deliver on its promise. Total city size is *very* small. Traffic is badly bugged (police patrols, buses, and garbage trucks all move in a giant cluster rather than dispersed throughout your city). Simulation depth just isn't there after you build a high school, elementary schools no longer needed; after you build a university no other type of school required, period. Transportation options limited: no highway over/under-passes and no subways. And because it's multi-player mayors in neighboring towns can grief the entire region by building a high-crime, high-pollution town and there is nothing you can do about it. Watch as your budget dives into the red because you are forced to build tons of police services to manage the criminals coming in from the other town. If you want to build huge cities go with CitiesXL or SimCity 4. If you like depth of simulation go with Tropico 4. This product just doesn't deliver on either level, imho. Expand
  89. Mar 5, 2013
    Will update when game is playable. Game is not playable. Game has not been playable for over 6 hours. Game queue is not a queue, it's a time waster. Game is worthless. Single most pointless launch ever. Capacity is a joke.
  90. Mar 6, 2013
    DRM has made this promising game totally unplayable. People can't download the game, can't join a server, can't save their game and are having their cities wiped all because EA have unimaginably forced always-online DRM even though they know the risks and the fact that it has little to no benefit. In fact, piracy for this game will be through the roof. Shame on EA, disgusting greedy RIP Simcity.
  91. Mar 6, 2013
    Dear EA can i please play my single player game i purchased from you
    some may think i'm asking too much of a big company like EA to see me as worthy of playing their game
    but after parting with it would be nice to "have a go"
  92. Mar 6, 2013
    This game is awesome! When I'm able to play it... Unfortunately, the always-online DRM that comes with this game makes it very difficult to do so. Yes, it is only the first few days of launch, but it sure would be nice if I didn't have to worry about server loads, disconnects, rollbacks, downtime, maintenance, losing hours on my cities, ect. I understand it's no longer a single player game, but I'd much rather have the option to play online with friends rather than be forced to play by their server scheduled when all I want to do is play in my own region.

I defended Diablo 3s always-online model, mostly because I was blinded by fan-girl-ism and I thought a game shouldn't be rated based on a games servers. Not anymore. This game deserves the metascore that the critics give it, but I just can't feel the same as long as this DRM is in place. It's such a terrible model to prevent piracy and companies like EA and Blizzard need to learn this. Fast. It only hurts the consumers that paid actual money.
  93. Mar 6, 2013
    A great franchise, ruined by EA. People are buying the game in good faith, despite reservations about always-online DRM. They are then finding they cannot log into the server, or constant disconnects, or cities failing to save/being constantly rolled back. The game is unplayable, and getting a refund is very challenging when the only way to contact EA is though live chat support with a 6 hour wait. Yes, six hours.

When they realise that the (unnecessary) DRM is preventing them from playing a game they paid good money for, or wasting hours of their time by not saving their cities, they are understandably feeling let down. They believe the product is at fault. The reviews on Amazon/Metacritic reflect that sentiment with total and complete accuracy.
  94. Mar 6, 2013
    DRM Aside, I would score this at around a 3 or a 4; the fact that EA insist on making me wait in an online queue in order to play an offline game, bounces us straight down to zero; paying $60+ for nothing, is worth a negative score if anything.

Zoning density is gone missing. Cities are tiny you can barely fit a village into your map space. Terraforming/God mode is gone the way of the
    Dodo. Games will only save/load if EA's server can accommodate your request; often times it can't, and you lose data. Also adds to the sluggish behavior of the game, as contacting and sending packets to an overseas, overloaded server, is a lot slower than writing to your local disk.

Looking forward to the teams that will be working on a local server emulator to remove the DRM requirement hopefully the loss in income will send a strong message, as clearly, shouting "screw you" to your customer base is still resulting in sales.
  95. Mar 6, 2013
    Small City Map, DRM, Server Problems, they probably plan to sell us add-on that should had already been included the original game at that price. All I can say is that I won't get caught buying a game like this again.
  96. Mar 6, 2013
    I had to sign up to reply to some of these positive reviews. Someone said they recommend buying a $60 game first and than to get the 10 year old game. Why not start with the better 10 year old game since you can play it when where you want. Sim City 4 you can save your own game you can build an actual city. Sim City 4 is not a little square confined by white dotted lines. Sim City (5) has fun gameplay until you fill up the map in a couple hours. This by far is the most jarring thing to me. 10 years later and the maps get smaller and confined by dotted lines. I hope they fix this without charging more money for DLC that should be standard in a AAA release. DLC is fine if its not removed from the original game to sell later Expand
  97. Mar 6, 2013
    The game simply does not work. I've been in queue for 40 minutes at a time, get disconnected, have to get back in queue The Day 0 DLC is shockingly insulting. The cities are tiny. Very, very little innovation other than slightly snazzier interface. $80 bucks to get the game as it is intended to be played is ridiculous. This is garbage. Stay away. Ignore the raw lies that are the 'journalism' reviews. Expand
  98. Mar 6, 2013
    Day 0 DLC as a blatant attempt to squeeze more money out of you, always online requirement for a single player game, tiny city sizes forcing you to specialize and take part in a region, and no saves? Yeah... what was I thinking. There is a reason they didn't call this Sim City 5 and just Sim City. Really what they should have called it was Sim City Online. This is not the sequel to Sim City 4 that I was looking for. Expand
  99. Mar 6, 2013
    The map size is incredibly small and is an incredibly unrealistic size for a city while right next door there is rendered map that is inaccessible. There are numerous bugs that should have been fixed before launch and s combination of origin requirement, microtransactions and always online DRM treats legitimate customers as thieves and prevents them from actually playing the game they paid for. I highly doubt pirates would have to put up with these issues. Expand
  100. Mar 6, 2013
    There isn't anything more offensive than cloud computing errors causing game to me nonexistent. Moreover, spending nearly $60-$80 on a title so HIGHLY exclaimed as the GOY, and yet comes off as a huge failure. When the game is playing, it's fun, social, and is a refreshing update to the simcity franchise. What ruins the game for me is as follows: No single player, No save option outside of forced incontinent cloud storage), server errors (you think they would have gotten this ready for the launch), inaccurate protesting (crime levels down to zero, yet protests for high crime change power source for town when paused and after relaunching game town protests lost of power), force closing (it's the only game in the last 3 years I've played with massive force closures on a regular basis) EA support (no upgrades after launch day errors, and seemingly weak support), ORIGIN ran. Expand

Given enough patches and DCLs, SimCity might eventually become the game that should have been on its release and justify the ambiguous choices that its developers made. [May 2013]
  2. May 9, 2013
    Hints at great things but is limited by small cities and promises it can't deliver on. [June 2013, p.80]
  3. May 9, 2013
    There's more problems with this game than I have words. Looks great though. [June 2013, p.80]