2.2

1. Mar 5, 2013
    The plots of land you get to use for your so-called city only covers about 8 by 8 city blocks. This is ridiculously small compared to previous Simcity games. To make things worse, you cannot build a city directly adjacent to your first city. Instead your other cities in the region are about 5 miles away. Forget trying to build any real-world cities. As for the gameplay, roads cost allThe plots of land you get to use for your so-called city only covers about 8 by 8 city blocks. This is ridiculously small compared to previous Simcity games. To make things worse, you cannot build a city directly adjacent to your first city. Instead your other cities in the region are about 5 miles away. Forget trying to build any real-world cities. As for the gameplay, roads cost all your money, and there's next to no new buildings in the game. I'm going back to play Simcity 4. Do not waste your money on this game. Expand
  2. ohz
    Mar 5, 2013
    The critic reviews are undeniable proof of "gaming journalism" being rotten to the core. This is the exact same game as SimCity Social, except you have to pay $80 before you're allowed to start paying for extras.
  3. Mar 5, 2013
    Terrible, just terrible. And yes, the game does deserve this low score just because of the DRM. If it had the best gameplay on the world it wouldn't be worth barely 2/10 with this s**t DRM system.
  4. Mar 5, 2013
    I'm surprised that so many people were able to get to the point of at least having difficulty accessing the game servers, because I wasn't even able to get the game I paid for. After fully paying for the game and receiving the order confirmation email half a day ago, the game is still not showing up on my Origin for download. I am currently trying really hard to reach EA to request anI'm surprised that so many people were able to get to the point of at least having difficulty accessing the game servers, because I wasn't even able to get the game I paid for. After fully paying for the game and receiving the order confirmation email half a day ago, the game is still not showing up on my Origin for download. I am currently trying really hard to reach EA to request an immediate refund, after such low quality service, for such not at all low priced product. I will stick to Steam and play my games as soon as I pay for them. Expand
  5. Mar 5, 2013
    First of all, please stop making fun of my thumbs.
    Second of all, DRM...really EA? oh wait, it is EA after all and they like sucking our money. Think of EA like the federal reserve unregulated and unethical
  6. Mar 5, 2013
    Unable to play due to server at capacity. In a single-player game. This is ridiculous. Simplified gameplay that does not provide as deep an experience as any of the previous SimCity games. While I'm sure that the server errors will be ironed out over time, the simplified gameplay will not
  7. Mar 5, 2013
    Always online, no true single player, no way to save and reload your games, extremely small city size, lots of microtransactions planned and no way of knowing when EA will pull the plug.

Best save your dollars and skip this one.
  8. Mar 5, 2013
    This game is a 10 out of then, if not for: -micro-transactions -very small city size -always on DRM (on a single-player game) -multiplayer feels forced down you throat

and worst, you CAN'T PLAY the f***ing game because the servers are busy.

oh, and just to make matters worse it forces you to use Origin.

Seriously EA, rethink you business strategy.
  9. Mar 5, 2013
    The game I'm sure is great. Maxis always does a great job. Unfortunately, I can't play it right now because of Server issues. There was no pre-load available. Can't play a a single player game because of always on DRM. THIS WILL NOT STOP PIRACY. All EA is doing is inconveniencing paying customers. Of course they wont listen to reason. So we all vote this game down.
  10. Xel
    Mar 5, 2013
    Paid $60 to be unable to play the game on release due to EA's DRM, thanks Should have never bought and supported a DRM game. Clearly I won't be making that mistake again.
  11. Mar 5, 2013
    Absolute Fail Im gona kill my self if every game gona have Forced online DRM The game is good but EA want money in every way like day 1 DLC or microtransactions It fells like the game ist finisd and wee must buy the Patch DLC to make play normal i buy ME 3 and im never gona buy game from EA again and now u guys know why
  12. Mar 5, 2013
    For everyone who says that constant DRM and a botched release are not a good enough reason to destroy this game's ratings they are wrong. EA needs to learn that these types of releases cannot happen. Three hours after registering my game and it hasn't even shown up in the "My Games Library" on Origin. Pathetic and unacceptable.
  13. Mar 5, 2013
    Always on DRM. Do not buy. Waiting in a queue to play a single player game? No thanks. I had high hopes for this game. I hope this is patched to go online for install, but offline after that.
  14. Mar 5, 2013
    A game is truly poor when its unable to be enjoyed, and this game falls completely in this category. With the always on DRM and a very poor delivery of server services. I am unable to play a game that is installed on my machine. For the only reason so that I can be social, its interesting then that in EA's mind that they have chosen social as the main means of driving their game design. ToA game is truly poor when its unable to be enjoyed, and this game falls completely in this category. With the always on DRM and a very poor delivery of server services. I am unable to play a game that is installed on my machine. For the only reason so that I can be social, its interesting then that in EA's mind that they have chosen social as the main means of driving their game design. To which they are a complete success, I have not even played the game, but I am pushed into the world of social sharing by the game to state, "its poor, and unplayable due to the server restriction and poor overhead server capacity. Thank you, Simcity you have delivered me into the social space per your game, and it is making meaningful connections for me, and hopefully those connections that read this will think twice about purchasing a game that is so limited in ones ability to play it. Expand
  15. Mar 10, 2013
    I managed to play for a while on one of the new servers. Today I go back and "I'm in a Queue". OK, Ill try a different server! Wait... no I don't want to play the tutorial again, and where are my saved games? Oh, they're on the other server? WTF EA.
  16. Mar 8, 2013
    Revising downward, because the game is still broken and at this point it's just a total joke. Even Polygon's review has been changed to 40 (from 95) on their website. EA has resorted to disabling all the social features that they claimed made always-online necessary in the first place, so now it's just a bald faced lie. It's DRM, period. That DRM is breaking the game. As it stands rightRevising downward, because the game is still broken and at this point it's just a total joke. Even Polygon's review has been changed to 40 (from 95) on their website. EA has resorted to disabling all the social features that they claimed made always-online necessary in the first place, so now it's just a bald faced lie. It's DRM, period. That DRM is breaking the game. As it stands right now this product is not fit for sale. They also disabled cheetah speed, a feature of every other Simcity game. Pathetic. If you get past all the server problems, the city size is still absurdly small (no doubt because their servers can't handle larger ones), but who cares about that when the game flat out doesn't work reliably? Expand
  17. Mar 14, 2013
    I am assessing this game based on my 25 hours of experience. This game is fun up to a point but the mid to late game mechanics are horrendously broken. Traffic is a hideous monster to control and if you do by some miracle manage to organised it the game is incredibly easy. The only challenge is traffic management. It feels more and more like a glorified Facebook game without the socialI am assessing this game based on my 25 hours of experience. This game is fun up to a point but the mid to late game mechanics are horrendously broken. Traffic is a hideous monster to control and if you do by some miracle manage to organised it the game is incredibly easy. The only challenge is traffic management. It feels more and more like a glorified Facebook game without the social game requirements. Region trading is horrendously broken, commuters commute but when they do the traffic is so horrendous because you only have one entrance to your city. EVEN WITH mass transit maxed out including trains and boats, it's just ridiculous. The online requirements suck too, I've lost a 9 hour city due to the servers. Also the region play is rubbish due to the servers, I was playing a region with my girlfriend (hot seat style) and I waited TEN MINUTES for the servers to update our own singleplayer region so I could send power to my girlfriends city. This is just dumb, it isn't fun. tldr: it starts out very fun but after you get over the "creativity" aspect of creating a city it becomes very boring and very broken. Might be good in a few months when it's patched although many features are not as advertised (such as "full simulation" which is a flat out lie). The DRM just makes everything worse. Expand
  18. Mar 11, 2013
    Ok now that the servers are back up and running alright, here is my proper review. my rating was a 3/10 because of all the crap this game threw at us at its launch. to be honest this game had one of the worst launches of any game, in history. i don't think this game will ever truly recover from it, this 1.5 rating is way too low for a game like this. and many people will not change theirOk now that the servers are back up and running alright, here is my proper review. my rating was a 3/10 because of all the crap this game threw at us at its launch. to be honest this game had one of the worst launches of any game, in history. i don't think this game will ever truly recover from it, this 1.5 rating is way too low for a game like this. and many people will not change their reviews because they are too fed up with the DRM. which is totally understandable. but the game is really fun. you can create entire trade networks and intricate cities. this increases the depth from the previous simcity games. managing the city is very fun. managing buildings is an amazing feature. although map sizes restrict you from building more advanced structures later on that is really my only complaint. this game has tons of potential and will have DLC i assure you (mostly because EA is a jerk) good game. sucks the EA gave it a bad rep. this DRM is a horrible thing for the gaming community but that doesn't mean simcity is a bad game Expand
  19. Mar 8, 2013
    EA MURDERED THE NEW SIMCITY!
    EA MURDERED THE NEW SIMCITY!
    In case you have not yet noticed, SimCity has what is called constantly online DRM. This means if the game is running, you MUST be online and logged into Origin, EA's sales platform, and response to Steam. Now this sounds excellent, in theory. Everyone gets updates automatically, you can play with anyone all over the world, etc. However, the viability of this method ends at THEORY. In reality, this is the smoking gun for this game. I have only had the opportunity to play this game once, for 1 hour and 30 minutes, before I was kicked from the server due to high volume. This is completely unreasonable, and I feel EA was completely unprepared to handle so many users on the server. That is major, obvious oversight on their part, and it ruined the game.
    Further, totally offline mode is completely eliminated. When I play a game such as SimCity, I expect to be able to play the classic mode where I can quietly play, ALONE. This is no longer an option, as all the cities in a region must co-mingle and supply each other with services, or the city itself is penalized! As an experiment, I attempted to play on a server with other players and remain independent, and rejected the assistance offered to me by other players. After a while, my economy collapsed because all my workers were automatically leaving my city to work at a neighbor's city. They are programmed to do this for absolutely no reason, other than penalizing players who wish to remain independent from others.

In short, the Online Requirement murdered this game, and I regret wasting my hard earned money on it. I encourage all prospective customers to NOT purchase this game, as it will only lead to your disappointment.
  20. Mar 7, 2013
    No log in No game!
    ****
    No Game No Life.
    please come back my time.
    please add offline Game play mode.
    on line, only ....****
    I play SimCity 4.

good -bye SimCity
  21. Mar 6, 2013
    Here is a spoiler... No one can play the game. Wow what a useless piece of crap. This has to be the worst release of all time. Working on day 2 of not being able to play the game. Hoping that at some point it might get there. The response from EA/Origin is terrible. Yeah your cutesy tweets aimed at "Mayors" are just even more infuriating. How about they come out with something thatHere is a spoiler... No one can play the game. Wow what a useless piece of crap. This has to be the worst release of all time. Working on day 2 of not being able to play the game. Hoping that at some point it might get there. The response from EA/Origin is terrible. Yeah your cutesy tweets aimed at "Mayors" are just even more infuriating. How about they come out with something that actually resembles an apology and an offer to make things right for the people who have been completely screwed over by EA/Origin's inability to provide the service that many people have paid good money for. Or just turn the damn always online DRM off already. You people suck. Expand
  22. Mar 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I pre-ordered and deliberately waited a week before reviewing to give EA a chance to bounce back from their self-inflicted launch debaucle. After that, my rating is still "meh". Though I give credit to their server team for standing up so many servers so quickly and a furrow of my brow to whatever management bean-counter prevented them from doing so prior to the launch. As of writing, Origin says I have 121 hours played, but some of that is just watching my my city burn and playing until 5 am (as that's when you can actually get on the servers)

Some of the positives: When they said they'd be tracking every sim, I feared this would turn out more like the Sims, which was only fun when you mercilessly took away the only pool ladders. However, being able to click on any car travelling on the map and see where it's going, whether it has spending money, and follow it is actually pretty neat.

Region play. It was in Sim City 4 to some extent, but it's cool to have all the cities work together to build great works. And with it, Multiplayer is a great idea. Sometimes I like a little teamwork, or to flood my neighbouring city with murderers and arsonists.

Finite resources. Go ahead put all your eggs into the oil mining business and plop some high tax entitlements like education and fire safety for a better society. What's the worst that could happen? Tip: Diversify and plan for renewable income before the well runs dry

Some of the negatives:

DRM always on requirement. When I'm not sabotaging my neighbors, sometimes I like to play with myself and I want to build my Dystopian region without the condescending glares of my neighbors. But even as I write this a week after launch, I cannot log into Sim City to do so. One tip, if you get logged in, stay logged in. While you're playing you'll see "server disconnected" messages happen all the time, but then they'll reconnect and presumably everything will be peachy. If you disconnect, however, it's much harder to get connected and a region loaded.

Difficulty. It's not. Pretty much any city (except one I'm playing now which it about 50% water) can be turned into a cash cow pretty easily. If your planning right, the only thing that throws you a curve is the occasional disaster. I like the idea of the global market, but as near as I can tell, there are hard lines at the minimum prices for buying and selling that pretty much guarantee you can make a ton of profit buying (then refining, smelting, producing) and reselling. I guess it'd be nice if there were bad investments. The only way to screw that up is misjudging your input or output rate, or bottlenecking your supply line.

City Size. You run out of room fast. Because it's so easy to make money, you end up bulging at the borders in no time and your city become.

Region play. The idea of region play is great. The implementation of region play is still a little off. Nothing is more frustrating than overloading a city with sweet nuke plants and the other cities in the region not recognizing that there is power available to buy. Or when collaborating on a great work, some cities will recognize that all of a specific resource (metal, allow, oil) has been provided, while others do not or only see that half has been provided.

Multiple servers. Spreading out the load was a great idea to increase server availability. The downside is that the regions aren't shared between servers. So, if you've spent countless hours building a perfect replica of Trenton, New Jersey and that server is unavailable, EA supports answer is try a different server (where your region does not exist and you get to start all over). The result of this is a bunch of cities in the public regions that don't look like people are playing them. So it ends up as a Multiplayer environment where you're the only one on.

Summary: After 10 years, they fell on their face at the starting line, but were able to get an Ok game out. They've hinted at some changes (bigger cities is the last one I heard), but I suspect a lot of these enhancements will cost you real-world Simoleans.
  23. Mar 12, 2013
    Haha, oh wow, my god, it hurts me so much to see this actually happening.
    Well, that was the last straw. I already made the mistake of buying HP2010 and BF3, I won't repeat it.
  24. Mar 11, 2013
    The game cannot be played at all. At the time of this writing, the content cannot be accessed due to server problems. The consumer's experience has been, for the past few days, one of paying and getting nothing in return.
  25. Mar 6, 2013
    Anyone giving this game a positive review must be a shill.... someone working for EA who can actually play the game as opposed to the poor slobs trying to play it from home.
  26. Mar 6, 2013
    This game was going to be a winner but the total mess with DRM has limited to one play session, can't log back in due to server capacity and EA support has been useless in telling me to be patient. Not one apology or showing any form of culpable responsibility for this mess. For that, I offer you this score EA. As always, you never fail to flop on something with such promise.
  27. Mar 6, 2013
    Servers always booting me out. connection lost how i am hard wired into the internet! be only to play on-line is a huge pain in the a** am cant save your city on your desktop and then have it sync to the cloud. then you can swap server because you lose your city completely i been playing this game since the launch date. my computer at home plays it just fine. then i get to work and playsServers always booting me out. connection lost how i am hard wired into the internet! be only to play on-line is a huge pain in the a** am cant save your city on your desktop and then have it sync to the cloud. then you can swap server because you lose your city completely i been playing this game since the launch date. my computer at home plays it just fine. then i get to work and plays for like an hour then boom game stops responding, it due to the graphics card over heating video card hog. my call of duy Black Ops 2 doesnt even take that i can play for hours and they dont get hot. this game is a heat generator. i wish i could play it on the plane or in the car but you have to be connected always to the internet make me wonder how much data is being transfered all the time. and there is no auto sync so if you get blown out of the game you have to start all over again sucks. Expand
  28. Mar 6, 2013
    The updated graphics is nice but the lack of options for transportation that makes any difference the lack of larger maps where you would actually care about creating a large city with interesting design.
    This feels like a demo of a full game we will get next year.
    Oh ya and the DRM is horrid constraining and adds nothing, absolutely nothing to the game.
  29. Mar 6, 2013
    Forced online DRM, worst servers ever, extremely limited building area (should be called SimVillage or something like that. EA, never go full greed.
  30. Mar 6, 2013
    Purchased game, installed, started game, created city, game crashed, no saves. Restarted game, created city, played for 15 minutes, game crashes, no saves. Ate lunch. Restarted game, unable to created city due to error. Closed and restarted game, unable to authenticate with server, tried different server, unable to authenticate. Closed game. Write review.
  31. Mar 6, 2013
    I purchased this game to the hefty tune of 60 X2 yes both myself and Boyfriend have a copy. Here's what I've seen so far. The game itself is good. The mechanics are well thought out, and complex enough to keep interest. There's some graphical glitches. The plot size for the cities are smaller than preferred. You definatley have to manage your space effectively. Now for the problems andI purchased this game to the hefty tune of 60 X2 yes both myself and Boyfriend have a copy. Here's what I've seen so far. The game itself is good. The mechanics are well thought out, and complex enough to keep interest. There's some graphical glitches. The plot size for the cities are smaller than preferred. You definatley have to manage your space effectively. Now for the problems and they are game breaking. In 5 hours of attempted play on two computers here is what we experienced. Delays in invites to the game, 10 minutes. In ability to claim a city once the invite was accepted. Once we sorted that out and got our cities claimed, and were playing two of the 3 people in our region were kicked from the server, re logging in showed we weren't invited to the game we'd been playing at all. Had to be re-invited to get back to our existing cities, which had reset completely to the default although were showing we'd claimed them. 3 disconnects a piece for myself and the boyfriend. Never at the same time, so it wasn't really servers crashing. I should mention we play in the same house. Inability to get back into the game without a 20 minute queue. At one point the 20 minute queue ticked down and reset to another 20 minutes... at this point i shut it down. This morning when i logged in, it had lost 2 hours of progress from last night due to synching issues. My bf experienced this a couple times yesterday as well. Basically the online component need fixed yesterday or the games dead. Expand
  32. Mar 6, 2013
    If you condone EA's terribly consumer-unfriendly business practices and countless butchered classics by buying this game you should be ashamed. If you are lucky enough to even be able to PLAY the game you payed so much money for then you'll be surprised to see most of the official game reviewers have been paid off by EA for favorable ratings, which is typical. Also expect dozens of dlc forIf you condone EA's terribly consumer-unfriendly business practices and countless butchered classics by buying this game you should be ashamed. If you are lucky enough to even be able to PLAY the game you payed so much money for then you'll be surprised to see most of the official game reviewers have been paid off by EA for favorable ratings, which is typical. Also expect dozens of dlc for content that was suppose to be in the original game. Do not buy this game. Expand
  33. Mar 6, 2013
    "Dang, Waiting in a cue to play sim city." Never thought I'd hear myself say that. Refund plz, this game blows.

I did manage to log in for a bit earlier though, and I was in the process of creating my region before I got booted off. That was annoying as I had to go through each of them to find one with a high wind resource. It's cool that terrain matters for this stuff, but it's not cool that the terrain is predetermined. I had assumed it would be somewhat random. Nope. EA has ruined another treasure. PS, Ocean Quigley can eat it. What a liar. Shame on him.
  34. Mar 6, 2013
    Thank you for erasing my 10 hour old city. Thank you for forcing me to play that stupid intro scenario again. I genuinely wish nothing but the worst for the entire corporate staff at EA. There's such a thing as making money, and there's such a thing as being a perfect douche about it.
  35. Mar 7, 2013
    Day 3, still have yet to play. This is absolutely criminal! EA, I want my money and time back.

I am posting on as many forums as I can in hopes that this will persuade others to NOT purchase this 'game'. I would give this less than a zero if I could.
  36. Mar 6, 2013
    Long time fan of the series, this game is great, the mechanics and all, it is just so unfortunate that EA and Origin are the ones behind the wheel. What with it being DRM, once it stops making them as much money as they want, it will go the to the same place The Sims Online was sent.
  37. Mar 6, 2013
    I haven't been able to start SimCity yet because the game forces you to connect to a server that is never available and always BUSY. You have to be connected online even to play a single player game. $80 for nothing! I'm saying goodbye to Maxis and goodbye to Origin.(EA's crappy version of Steam.)
  38. Mar 6, 2013
    *EA Is BANNING users that demand refunds and reverse charges on their credit cards.* The game is fun but the server connection is absolutely terrible. You have to constantly switch servers (as recommended by EA), and then start a new city (because you're on a new server). You spent 5 hours making your dream city. Then you get booted from the game, and 2 hours later you get back on your*EA Is BANNING users that demand refunds and reverse charges on their credit cards.* The game is fun but the server connection is absolutely terrible. You have to constantly switch servers (as recommended by EA), and then start a new city (because you're on a new server). You spent 5 hours making your dream city. Then you get booted from the game, and 2 hours later you get back on your server. Now you return to your city and it's all gone. EA Felt you needed a city rollback (when the city doesn't ever save on EA Servers). How lovely and supporting is that? Expand
  39. Mar 7, 2013
    Thanks to ridiculous Online requirement and no servers available, nobody can play the damn game and we have all been ripped off our cash and delivered nothing. Worst game ever!
  40. Mar 7, 2013
    Unable to create city, I'm not even able to play the getting started scenario on this single player game because the server cant handle the load. The game might be great, but the launch is a utter and total failure. I understand the need for DRM to protect your investment, but preventing your paying customer to use the product is just silly.
  41. Mar 7, 2013
    No way to even start it, I can't even reach the server selection. Don't buy this crap!No way to even start it, I can't even reach the server selection. Don't buy this crap!No way to even start it, I can't even reach the server selection. Don't buy this crap!
  42. Mar 7, 2013
    Please, do not waste your money on this travesty. I don't generally bother writing reviews, but if you pay for this game you will not be able to play it. EA will accept your money and then deny you what you paid for. Please save your money for something else and do not make the same mistake I did and assume that a large, profitable company would not cut so many corners that they will takePlease, do not waste your money on this travesty. I don't generally bother writing reviews, but if you pay for this game you will not be able to play it. EA will accept your money and then deny you what you paid for. Please save your money for something else and do not make the same mistake I did and assume that a large, profitable company would not cut so many corners that they will take your money and then not allow you to play what should have been a single player game. Expand
  43. Mar 7, 2013
    Cant connect to servers, no matter which server you choose..... was looking forward to this game but so dissapointed. Come on developers you had 10years...
  44. Mar 7, 2013
    I am an Australian and I have been trying for over 3 hours to successful start a game... Any game.... Well I have played the tutorial for about 5 minutes and a real game for about 10. I have had every error message under the sun!!! And just when it looks like it is about to work it crashes. I have tried every server and I just cannot play this game!!! WHAT A WASTE OF TIME!!!! IT ISI am an Australian and I have been trying for over 3 hours to successful start a game... Any game.... Well I have played the tutorial for about 5 minutes and a real game for about 10. I have had every error message under the sun!!! And just when it looks like it is about to work it crashes. I have tried every server and I just cannot play this game!!! WHAT A WASTE OF TIME!!!! IT IS UNBELIEVABLE THAT A GAME CAN BE SOLD THAT CANNOT BE PLAYED DUE TO POOR SERVERS!!! IF THIS IS NOT RESOLVED BY THE SAME TIME TOMORROW I WILL DEMAND A REFUND!!! DO NOT BUY THIS GAME IN IT'S CURRENT STATE! Expand
  45. Mar 7, 2013
    This is completely unacceptable.. Unable to play a game I just bought, BECAUSE OF YOUR SERVERS EA! I've had enough of you and your cooperate ways of destroying everything good.. I DEMAND A REFUND!
  46. Mar 7, 2013
    A huge fat 0 from me. Reason i can't play the game since the servers are down which really shouldn't be a problem in a single player game in the first place.
  47. Mar 7, 2013
    Such great decision to force always online requirement on Simcity, and now i can't even login to play singleplayer game, and im not only one. European release was botched also, no one can't play atm. Good job EA!
  48. Mar 7, 2013
    Just crap, bought it and still havnt been able to play it. No EA support getting bloody sick of having to start an account and download some crappy client with every game developer out there. Origin is and EA is a sell out.
  49. Mar 7, 2013
    This DRM is a massive insult to paying gamers. I will be taking my money elsewhere, supporting a company that doesn't treat their customers like dirt.

By buying this game you are funding a practice that is worse than piracy. Hell, the pirated versions of this game are likely to be more enjoyable than this, but I will be totally boycotting EA. There are hundreds of other good games to spend my money on and I'd rather encourage publishers that actually value me as a customer.
  50. Mar 7, 2013
    One word is only needed: Unacceptable.
    One word is only needed: Unacceptable.
    I have never attacked any developer, I have never hated EA, or said one single bad thing about them. However this is not how any company should be able to do. When Always online-DRM was mentioned, every single person knew this would happen. INCLUDING EA! We have been given multiple useless promises, but when what everyone knew was going to happen, happened. They just keeping on us..
  51. Mar 7, 2013
    Has a long time fan and owner of all the other sim cities I strongly recommend staying far away from this game. I thought that the city size had to be a joke a first, unfortunately I was wrong. This issue alone is enough to turn away any sim city fan. On top of this the always online DRM makes this unplayable game the worst dissapointment since duke nukem forever. I really wanted to likeHas a long time fan and owner of all the other sim cities I strongly recommend staying far away from this game. I thought that the city size had to be a joke a first, unfortunately I was wrong. This issue alone is enough to turn away any sim city fan. On top of this the always online DRM makes this unplayable game the worst dissapointment since duke nukem forever. I really wanted to like this game and I am incredibly disappointed... I feel that diablo 3 delivered a better diablo game then this sim cities idea of a city simulation game. Expand
  52. Mar 22, 2013
    The game is broken is almost every important aspect. Sure, I can imagine IF one day everything works, it could be a 8/10 candidate. But as it is, on two fronts the game is entirely broken. In the Agent System, and in the server/online feature.

There have been plenty of reports how and why the agent system and the other ingame systems don't work. There is little I could add to what has been said a 1000 times by now. Simply too many subsystems of the game do not work at all.

But I could live with traffic issues, simlulation disparities, trash gathering... all of it, if the game would actually, physically work. Just it doesn't. I invested 2 days in a region, and suddenly the game went to the main screen, out of the blue, "Server crashed" and the entire savegame of the region was broken and I could never load it again. Then I started a new region, two specialized cities, I put DAYS of long, hard work into the cities and was proud to finally got them them running. Them BAM, the game forced me to the main menu, the city was RESET, and the hard work of DAYS was lost to me.

I contacted EA support, but they could do nothing to reset my savegames, which were lost entirely due to their fault. So they have no backups, and they have no system to save the savegames on MY OWN computer for safety backup. I can really live with a lot of issues, but when days of work into a game are ruined, it is beyond any excuse. And for weeks this is so, and EA simply refuses to communicate with it's customers.

I give 2 honorary points for the idea behind the game, but the game is at the moment ENTIRELY broken, unplayable and as it looks, the issues run so deep it will take months to enable a halfway working status.
  53. Mar 10, 2013
    Has a significant amount of potential. Visually the game is awesome. They did incorporate some great ideas such as interacting with other cities for trade, sharing resources, commuters, etc. However, the specialization provides limited options. Major Problem #1: Cities are too small!! I know their excuse for it but really? It's ridiculous and almost ruins the game on its own. MajorHas a significant amount of potential. Visually the game is awesome. They did incorporate some great ideas such as interacting with other cities for trade, sharing resources, commuters, etc. However, the specialization provides limited options. Major Problem #1: Cities are too small!! I know their excuse for it but really? It's ridiculous and almost ruins the game on its own. Major Problem #2: It's just too easy, there isn't a whole lot to it and it can be mastered quickly Major Problem #3 There are no ordinances, policies etc to run the city--it has simply been turned into a city building game with sometimes silly animated visuals Major Problem #4: Big changes have minimal impact-- for the city to really go downhill you really, really have to do it almost on purpose, you can get away with a lot, this isn't realistic.

Overall I am VERY disappointed with SimCity (5). Not because it wasn't made well (it was, it's def. quality) but because they put in all of this thought and missed the main reasons why people love the SimCity franchise--you can run all facets of a city including policies, more detailed finances (what about budgeting by department??) and other strategically driven options and inputs. I still recommend the game but only for those interested in a pretty straight forward city building game- the management people should leave it.
  54. Mar 6, 2013
    SimCity is a buggy mess. First, the UI stopped responding due to their overloaded servers. I couldn't even close the game, since it didn't want to close until it synchronized with the server. A server which was refusing connections. I Alt-F4'd out of it and tried to get back in the game. I had to spam the login, clicking it over and over, pressing the OK button saying the servers were busySimCity is a buggy mess. First, the UI stopped responding due to their overloaded servers. I couldn't even close the game, since it didn't want to close until it synchronized with the server. A server which was refusing connections. I Alt-F4'd out of it and tried to get back in the game. I had to spam the login, clicking it over and over, pressing the OK button saying the servers were busy over and over. I got in after about twenty minutes until I got in. Once I got it, it made me play through the tutorial again. Except this time, the dialogue boxes wouldn't load, since the servers were over capacity. I couldn't complete the tutorial. So I walked away from my computer for a while.

I tried logging in again, and this time the game had a queue. Except it wasn't a queue that guaranteed access to the game after a specified wait. It was simply a retry button on a TWENTY MINUTE timer. For nearly half an hour I spammed the server selection screen, clicking US East, (Error: Busy), Server, US West (Error: Busy), Server, US East, (Error: Busy), Server, US West (Error: Busy), Server, US East, etc. I finally got in. I got into my city and went to region view. I worked on a new city in my region for another half hour and then the screen went black and SimCity closed. After a while I was able to reconnect. ALL MY WORK WAS GONE. I started a new city in the same area and IT HAPPENED AGAIN! It erased my progress.

EA, this is horrible. If you don't have the server capacity to handle the launch of your always-on DRM scheme, you can't implement an always-on DRM scheme. I will never pre-order another EA title with always-on DRM.

The fact that EA has the nevrve to say this disaster of a launch has only affected a smaller number of players is like rubbing salt in the wound. They're completely full of crap. Their lie only validates my opinion that EA has contempt for their customers.
  55. Mar 6, 2013
    I understood that this game had annoying DRM when I bought it. What I didn't realize is that it would make the game unplayable. Literally. It's not that it's bad (or could be, I don't know), I couldn't actually play the game. I couldn't connect to the server, couldn't load a city, or the controls wouldn't work once I did load a city. There was no playing to be had. Just an hour and a halfI understood that this game had annoying DRM when I bought it. What I didn't realize is that it would make the game unplayable. Literally. It's not that it's bad (or could be, I don't know), I couldn't actually play the game. I couldn't connect to the server, couldn't load a city, or the controls wouldn't work once I did load a city. There was no playing to be had. Just an hour and a half of time wasted installing and trying to play this junk. These guys owe me a refund. Expand
  56. Mar 7, 2013
    SimCity is an impressive concept for a game one that deserved to become a classic kludged into a horrifically anti-consumer, modular, DRM-crippled framework. The Glassbox engine is a marvel, allowing a deeper and more meaningful simulation than ever before, and it deserved to marry up with better business practices than EA's. One can trust this is one the "base game" in a series, withSimCity is an impressive concept for a game one that deserved to become a classic kludged into a horrifically anti-consumer, modular, DRM-crippled framework. The Glassbox engine is a marvel, allowing a deeper and more meaningful simulation than ever before, and it deserved to marry up with better business practices than EA's. One can trust this is one the "base game" in a series, with many expansions to come. There seems to be little to no role for the modding community in SimCity, although that remains to be seen, due to the online-only DRM and the multiplayer component. What is gone in SimCity is the sense of game that might ever become a long-lived classic such as SimCity 2000 or SimCity 4. SimCity is a great game that many players will enjoy, but its faults in terms of the way it is framed tend outweigh the great craftsmanship of the game itself. Server trouble at launch will no doubt dissipate in the coming weeks, though that's hardly an excuse for the debacle surrounding this game's launch. Like Spore, another rather tragic release from Maxis that will sell, but will also stand testament to a much better game prevented from coming into fruition by poor design and marketing choices. Expand
  57. Mar 7, 2013
    EA have the amazing ability to kill amazing franchises, your greed is going to kill you!

SimCity is an amazing game published by a greed company EA, the forced on-line DRM ruin the single play experience... good by EA Games, SimCity is my last game from your company, I will never again buy anything from you.
  58. Mar 7, 2013
    Server queues (you have to wait to play.. 10-50min)
    No single player offline mode.
    EA servers (proven over the years to be unreliable)
    DRM
    Origin (spyware)
    Bugs galore (you're lucky if you can get the game started)
    ** city size is unbearable***(to small)

Honestly Could we not anticipate EA botching another game?
  59. Mar 11, 2013
    Uses EA's Origin, which EA created because Valve wouldn't spy on their users or agree to never put EA games on a big sale. EA Origin is clunky, badly executed, and down right evil. EA specifically wont sell new games like SimCity on Steam in order to force people to use Origins. Last time I checked, there was huge controversy because Origin's EULA allowed for them to monitor EVERYTHINGUses EA's Origin, which EA created because Valve wouldn't spy on their users or agree to never put EA games on a big sale. EA Origin is clunky, badly executed, and down right evil. EA specifically wont sell new games like SimCity on Steam in order to force people to use Origins. Last time I checked, there was huge controversy because Origin's EULA allowed for them to monitor EVERYTHING that happens on your computer. That means everything you install, every website you go to, heck I wouldn't be surprised if they just plain keylog people so they can track everything possible. AND on top of that, the EULA allows them to give that information to 3rd parties OR allow 3rd parties to directly use Origins to gather information on you!

It is so bad that in Germany a judge in said that it violates German law and should be considered null and void.

It's pretty sad. There have been a lot of games I was really looking forward to, only to find out it will only be available on Origins.

EVEN IF ORIGINS WASN'T EVIL, IT IS STILL BLOATWARE. Remember games that had you install things like GameSpy and games that still install punkbuster. I hate that garbage. I don't want that junk on my computer. It just sucks up resources and is useless. This Origins thing is nothing more than a slightly more sophisticated piece of bloatware.

EA has got to be one of the WORST game companies out there.

I've saved over $200 by just not playing a lot of the new games and their DLC--This includes Dragon Age 2, BF3, ME3, Crysis 3 and SimCity. Can't wait until next gen consoles come out with anti-resale measures and find the sales of new games just plummet. Maybe someday EA will stop being evil and I will be able to buy these games as stand-alones, without the bloatware. Until then I just wont play them.

Everyone I know hates Origins and only a few have broken down and bought a game that requires it. The rest just throw their hands up in the air and play something else.

The game industry has been overrun by suits. We don't need them. Support indie games, screw EA and the like.
  60. Mar 7, 2013
    Here's a typical launch week sim city 2013 experience:
    a) it gets stuck "connecting to a server" which you have to fix by launching recovery to re-update each time you run it.
    b) you end up put in a queue that isn't really a queue, it's a simple 30min timeout. c) you finally get into the game, start playing, build a city only to get the message that you've been disconnected from the
    Here's a typical launch week sim city 2013 experience:
    c) you finally get into the game, start playing, build a city only to get the message that you've been disconnected from the server, hence anything you do from here on out cannot be saved.
    d) you do -not- end up reconnecting to the server, instead after 15 or so minutes you just get disconnected, all progress lost, you go back to a).

p.s. that whole attempt at justifying the online drm by saying that some calculations are performed serverside seems to be a lie since you do end up playing for about 15-20 minutes while the server is down.

The game aspect of this game might have been good if it did not degenerate into endless frustration all related to the force-fed online drm and the servers that cannot support it
    Just to reiterate on the matter of lost progress: the game does NOT save locally.

A solid 0/10; makes D3 launch look tolerable.
  61. Mar 7, 2013
    Always online DRM, EA published piece of crap with microtransactions and lots of cut content compared to previous releases to accomodate for unwanted "social multiplayer gaming" features. Do as i did and set aside your love for another superb, old franchise destroyed by the EA cancer and DO NOT BUY
  62. Mar 6, 2013
    Love the SimCity games and the review are looking good. I would have bought this game but I'm not going to pay money for a always online single player game. I made that mistake with Diablo 3 already. You lost my money.
  63. Mar 12, 2013
    This isn't a "game". It is a $60 paperweight that comes in a nice fancy box. That is all there is to it. This is what happens when developers force us to constantly be online for a single player game. Several days we cannot play, and this issue probably wont resolve itself for a while. Also, suppose 5 or 10 years down the line we want to play simcity, do we get to? are your servers goingThis isn't a "game". It is a $60 paperweight that comes in a nice fancy box. That is all there is to it. This is what happens when developers force us to constantly be online for a single player game. Several days we cannot play, and this issue probably wont resolve itself for a while. Also, suppose 5 or 10 years down the line we want to play simcity, do we get to? are your servers going to remain up for that long? possibly even longer? For people who bought this game, let this be a lesson, do NOT support developers that force DRM onto single player games, don't buy another EA game, and when their wallets get lighter, they will listen. These greedy bastards listen to their quarterly reports, not their customers. Expand
  64. Mar 12, 2013
    I've been so so stupid... As a Sim City lover I just bought that game blindly. How can I be such an idiot? I bought blindly Heroes of Might and Magic 6 and it was awful. I bought blindly Diablo 3 and it was disappointing. I bought Civilization V and it was the most terrible video game decision I made up to now... It's the fourth time one of my favourite franchise as been just DESTROYED.I've been so so stupid... As a Sim City lover I just bought that game blindly. How can I be such an idiot? I bought blindly Heroes of Might and Magic 6 and it was awful. I bought blindly Diablo 3 and it was disappointing. I bought Civilization V and it was the most terrible video game decision I made up to now... It's the fourth time one of my favourite franchise as been just DESTROYED. Why the game is so crap? How can someone fail in making a great SimCity? I mean... How is this possible? I'm not talking about DRM, internet only connections and so forth... I mean: how can somebody be able to consciously screw a franchise that every single time one game was released was getting more and more subtle, intrusting? Well... They did it... How then? Take the wonderful (but perfectible) SimCity 4. Make the map 10 times smaller, and take out everything that means "managing something" in that game... I mean, it's incredible. They managed to make a game where you have to think less than in Sim City on Super Nintendo... They did it!!!!!!!! They made a game where you make 1 powerplant, some Water towers, 20 blocks of buildings and that's it... Ok, graphics are fantastic, bit that's it. I won't even talk about multiplayer, projects and so on. I'm talking about the fact that this game should be called "SimTown" or "SimVillage" or even "SimNothing"... It's a REAL shame... Expand
  65. Mar 7, 2013
    Do you have any idea how horribly depressing it is to come onto this site and review this game, a game I have waited years for, from a developer that I adore with all my heart, and blast the absolute crap out of it. But what option do we have? EA needs to make this right, in a big, big way. Until then, I still think this game is the bees knees, but the release and server side issuesDo you have any idea how horribly depressing it is to come onto this site and review this game, a game I have waited years for, from a developer that I adore with all my heart, and blast the absolute crap out of it. But what option do we have? EA needs to make this right, in a big, big way. Until then, I still think this game is the bees knees, but the release and server side issues combine to create the worst release in gaming history. Without a shadow of a doubt... I hope Maxis doesn;t get blasted for this, because this is ALL on EA. Expand
  66. Mar 6, 2013
    The Good: Beautiful game, good soundtrack, they added a lot of cool new features since Sim City 4 and went away from the train wreck that was 'Societies'.

The Bad: Tiny, little maps. I want to build a massive, pollution-belching metropolis like in SC4, but you can't. You are limited to the same sized Cities as in 'Societies'. With all the great features implemented in this title there is no room to use them. The game also requires that be online to play, unfortunately EA didn't plan for the launch. I've spent more time trying to play than actually playing. In trying to load one of my 4 Cities it reports that I cannot due to the servers being down. Maxis is a good developer, at least they were until they got gobbled-up by EA. I will certainly think twice before buying any additional EA titles in the future. It's clear that they care less about your gaming experience then they do about your dollar.
  67. Mar 7, 2013
    Day-1 DLC:Check. Always online DRM:Check. Forced to use Origin spyware: Check. Dumbed down mechanics and removed features: Check.
    This is one of the worst pieces of garbage gaming has put out in the last few years, shame on EA, MAXIS, and anyone who gives this game a good rating.Nice bribes, EA.
  68. Mar 12, 2013
    There is so much wrong with the game, how to begin? I will just iterate the bad items (none of which have to do with the server problems they claim they will fix or their DRM)
    1) Road placement in large grids is frequently buggy, meaning exact placements cant be made
    2) At random points in the game large game logic failovers happen (i.e. no matter how many trash centers you place you cannot clear more than 33% of the trash)
    3) It is impossible to control zoning sizes or density of a giving area
    4) You cannot farm
    5) Map sizes are limited to very small areas !!!!
    6) You cannot pass ordinances, edict or other logic based controls
    7) There are no subways
    8) Map overylays (while cool) are very limited
    9) No local single player mode exists (nor saving to your local machine)
    10) lack of ruler based descisions on custom sized grids
    11) no terraforming (your stuck with whatever land shape you have got.)
    12) graphics quality is very low, textures on models are unexciting (i.e. farmville quality)
    on... and on... and on... dont buy it.... It should be a free to play game, and if it were released by anybody but a major game company that would be the only model where this could succeed.
  69. Mar 12, 2013
    If I cannot play a "single-player" game whenever I want to, it doesn't matter how good or bad the game is, it becomes a worthless and defective product.
  70. Mar 13, 2013
    Why are they still selling a broken game, they should stop selling copies of this broken game and fix the server problems, allow people to play offline, and increase the city size. If they solve these issues then start selling the game again. If not then they should refund everyone that paid for a copy of the game and resign from the game making business. This is the worst launch of aWhy are they still selling a broken game, they should stop selling copies of this broken game and fix the server problems, allow people to play offline, and increase the city size. If they solve these issues then start selling the game again. If not then they should refund everyone that paid for a copy of the game and resign from the game making business. This is the worst launch of a video game in recent history and everyone saw in coming except for the development team or they just did not care. I am a long long time fan of simcity games and this is the first one I HATE. Expand
  71. Mar 13, 2013
    Besindes the server problems and all, don't people see that EA makes fun of us all? They want to sell us a game with features it doesn't have at all.

Look: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Miscellaneous-Issues/Traffic-quot-AI-quot-This-is-why-services-and-traffic-are-broken/m-p/737060#U737060 There are no Sims living in your town. They are just mindless bots, going to the next free house

Look:

There are no Sims living in your town. They are just mindless bots, going to the next free house and the next free shop and the next free working place. And this is why this game has so much flaws. Traffic jams, empty shops and casinos altough everything is full.

If you build a car lot besides a casino, no sim will go into the casino. They will take the bus to the next free shop. This game is mindless like any other EA games of the early past. Don't buy this stuff.
  72. Mar 12, 2013
    I had to play in the "Antartic" server, coz this is the only up to play. After three hours playing, the server went down and now im unable to play since the last 5 hours. What a joke this DRM.
  73. Mar 7, 2013
    To be honest, the game itself is nice but Electronic Arts is like a baby that is not interessted in learning from its misstakes. I give this game to lowest scor to continue drop the rating!
  74. Mar 7, 2013
    Programmed as quick money grab with poor game mechanics. If you can play this game at all because of the poor always online servers you'll find yourself in an oversimplified version of SimCity 4 with comical graphics. This game takes you by the hand and does the thinking for you. Being Mayor of a city? More like being major dump!
  75. Mar 13, 2013
    Game is totally and utterly broken. I don't think they can fix it.

Code on your PC is open. They actually call the variable representing your population 'FudgedPopulation'.
  76. Mar 9, 2013
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME You can't actually play it!

Remember Spore, Another massive Maxis release where anyone who bought the game couldn't play for 3 days while everyone pirated it could.

Well they learnt their lesson, this time round have have made sure NO ONE can play it.
  77. Mar 12, 2013
    And yet another reason why DRM is a failed concept. Too bad though, despite my already negative opinion of EA, i might have probably bought this game sometime in the future. Instead of making quality games more affordable and accessible, EA's idea of fighting piracy is to make the game unplayable as a whole. You people could learn a thing or two from valve, since most of us have several,And yet another reason why DRM is a failed concept. Too bad though, despite my already negative opinion of EA, i might have probably bought this game sometime in the future. Instead of making quality games more affordable and accessible, EA's idea of fighting piracy is to make the game unplayable as a whole. You people could learn a thing or two from valve, since most of us have several, if not dozens of games installed on steam, all purchased legally. Another sad thing is that while this is happening, EA just started pulling more features from simcity as a way to make ammends for this god awful failure. I think we will all be expecting these features pulled to be released in a DLC for 19.99 later on in the future... Expand
  78. Mar 12, 2013
    After trying to play this game for days, I gave up. This is the problem with EA, they cripple games so much that they are totally unusable. I remember thinking "I should not support EA", but I was so looking forward to a SimCity reboot that I didn't care. Turns out that I should have trusted my gut. This was a total waste of money.
  79. Mar 12, 2013
    The score of EA is always 0, Un-installed Origin few months after Fifa12.
    I'll never buy EA games again, and i'm sorry, i can't play SimCity but if a take a look, to the amazing score in red, I do not mind at all.
    EA always buy "Critic Reviews", so this type of journalism is for kids. Pathetic ... Thanks to Gabe Newell and Steam, If the perspectives of PC gaming are really
    The score of EA is always 0, Un-installed Origin few months after Fifa12.

Thanks to Gabe Newell and Steam, If the perspectives of PC gaming are really different than a few years ago.

In the while EA ask 80$ for an epic fail since day 1, just as evidence of how ridiculous they are. I hope that everyone, sooner or later, will be aware of this.

We should have a zero-tolerance and boycott any software which is essentially an $80 rental that comes with intrusive spyware, always-online DRM.

Who buy EA is a mup.pet.
  80. Mar 12, 2013
    As many others have stated, this could have been a great game. The developer (Maxis) and publisher (EA) had probably from the beginning planned for always-online DRM. That is, in order to play the game by yourself you must have a constant secure connection to EA's server. This puts you at the mercy of EA's hardware & IT team, something that is beyond yourAs many others have stated, this could have been a great game. The developer (Maxis) and publisher (EA) had probably from the beginning planned for always-online DRM. That is, in order to play the game by yourself you must have a constant secure connection to EA's server. This puts you at the mercy of EA's hardware & IT team, something that is beyond your control.---------------------------------------------------

Released on March 5th, it is now late afternoon March 12th and there are still major server issues. I am currently on West Coast 4 and am getting long que times trying to join, and it isn't even peak hours on the west coast. I can only assume the load will increase as most people get off work and arrive home in the next hour or two.--------------------------------------------------------

SimCity has traditionally been a single player game many people like to play around in for hundreds of real time hours. Since SimCity is "always multiplayer", in order to play by ones self you must create a region and set it to "Private" mode where only you or invited friends can join. The whole idea of that is counter-intuitive in the fullest. Instead of a traditional "Single Player" and "Multiplayer" button on the main menu that has worked for decades, Maxis forces you to click "Play" and enter the multiplayer screen. Someone not that initiated into how games work will find it frustrating to start a singleplayer game even though the "single player" is technically classified as private multiplayer.----------------------------------------

Maxis & EA are in full damage control public relations mode, all cheery smiles and apologies. Sadly, a large portion of the previously angry customer-base was easily bought with the offer of a free game. Instead of bombarding EA & Maxis with thousands of angry letters & emails demanding the removal of Online DRM and "Always multiplayer" nature of SimCity, they instead were bought off for around $60 and are now towing the line. They seem to think that companies releasing unfinished or highly flawed/untested products is A-ok, as long as they "pinky swear" to fix the game which the timeframe is never admitted. It could be 1 month or even two months before a game is fixed, but there will still be that large group of customers with unyielding blind faith, always ready to defend the happy, cheery gaming company that just recieved 60+ dollars from them for a buggy, non-working product.----------------------------- If you are wondering why game developers and publishers are getting away with extremely sloppy business practices, you need only look at the modern gamer. The customers are the problem because they do not vote with their wallets and protest in writing.--------------------------When you buy a new car, it usually comes with some kind of warranty. If your transmission for example blows seconds after your off the lot, they will replace it for free immediately. Conversely, you expect the car to be 100% working properly and built correctly when you buy it, and every car manufacturer does everything possible to make sure that happens long before you fork over the cash. The same MUST be true for all products or services. Mistakes do happen, but things of the magnitude of SimCity do not just happen accidentally. Someone somewhere made the decision that lower costs were more worth it than a working game. There will likely be bugs on all release of games, but we have the right to demand that their game work properly. In SimCity's case, it does not even work at all.-------------- Don't believe the public relations spin and the attempt to buy your sympathy and loyalty back. If you have any principles at all, for god sakes please make your integrity one of them. Show EA/Maxis that no, you cannot be simply be bought for $60. Demand they remove Online DRM, demand a deserved true Single Player, among various other small things.------ I rated this a 3 out of 10, only because in the extremely short time I have played the actual game, it is well done. Probably the biggest sadness of all is that underneath these unacceptable business practices, a good development team has produced a pretty awesome game.
  81. Mar 12, 2013
    Aside from all the server problems, the stupidly implemented DRM always online for a single player game etc etc ...

In contrast with other iterations of the game, this SimCity maxes out. There are no long term objectives you might have. You can max out your city in 4 hours, create another one, max it out in another 4 hours ad infinitum. Whereas you could spend months tweaking your

Whereas you could spend months tweaking your cities in other versions, the replay value of this title gets old and boring REALLY fast & it all has to do with the size of the cities. It's a fantastic casual game (blah), not a full fledged SimCity like you were used to.
  82. Mar 5, 2013
    Created an account just to sign this petition of pissed-off users. Since I cannot even use this game when promised, I give it a zero. I decided to be generous and give it a 1; you do have pretty pictures of what I think the game will look like. Too bad pictures on a website and a launcher that doesn't launch is all I get for my cash. MAXIS, you have my $60 and I have 30 gigs of wastedCreated an account just to sign this petition of pissed-off users. Since I cannot even use this game when promised, I give it a zero. I decided to be generous and give it a 1; you do have pretty pictures of what I think the game will look like. Too bad pictures on a website and a launcher that doesn't launch is all I get for my cash. MAXIS, you have my $60 and I have 30 gigs of wasted hard drive space. Thanks. Expand
  83. Mar 6, 2013
    It should be named Sim Town, not Sim City, because you can't make cities like you could in the previous versions, only small towns. You can switch to different districts and they share some things so you can sell power or garbage to your other towns, they are not even connected, so you see it as different small towns.

I can't even log in atm. because there is a huge line to play, it's terrible.
  84. Mar 6, 2013
    Requesting online presence just to play an offline game is simply unacceptable.

Having said that, there were plenty of publishers out there that had the same problems (see Blizzard and their Diablo III). The only real solution is to not buy the game. Problem is for instance that EA doesn't accept refunds, so not buying the game in the first place is the only way to go. In an era
    Requesting online presence just to play an offline game is simply unacceptable.

In an era where games like The Witcher 1 and 2 are launched also DRM-free (GOG.com), EA should actually learn how to adapt or perish. Either way, strongy not reccomended to buy Simcity 5.
  85. Mar 6, 2013
    The online-only nature of this game is an absolute deal breaker. Do not buy!! Poor service history by Origin means don't get bitten again. Until EA wakes up and delivers a stand-alone version, don't waste your money.
  86. Mar 6, 2013
    Are you kidding me? Even when you can get through to play a game you can play for approximately 30 minutes before the servers begin to have issues- and then you're lucky (LUCKY) if you're 30 minutes are synced. What's more- once you try to reestablish a connection- you're usually greeted with another queue to get back to the game the server kicked you off playing.
    That's okay- you
    That's okay- you think- I'll just go to sandbox mode--- that can't possibly require a constant connection- Wrong-O! Hmm--- maybe a Private Sandbox--- that's another whole lotta Nope. What could be a charming and successful sim is marred- irreparably so- by a faulty and slipshod implementation. Chalk this user up to another that will (WILL) be getting refunded by EA, or disputing a credit card charge.
  87. Mar 6, 2013
    Pros: Fun gameplay* and beautiful graphics. (*Assuming you can actually play.)
    Cons: Highly restrictive city map size.
    Conclusion: Simcity is a spectacular game rendered next to useless do to the fact that your chances of actually getting on EA's haggard servers is questionable. It gets a 1 out of 10 which I feel is generous considering I can't even play the game.
  88. Mar 6, 2013
    I am so disappointed that i want to cry. HUGE fan of sim city 4 (certainly more than 1 000 hours in 10 years) This game isn't a sim city anymore, it is a f***ing Facebook social sim village-city. Ridiculously easy, stupidly small and uselessly social. IT is a shame Maxis and EA, shame on you And shame on sold video games websites that gave this game a good rate, which is certainly notI am so disappointed that i want to cry. HUGE fan of sim city 4 (certainly more than 1 000 hours in 10 years) This game isn't a sim city anymore, it is a f***ing Facebook social sim village-city. Ridiculously easy, stupidly small and uselessly social. IT is a shame Maxis and EA, shame on you And shame on sold video games websites that gave this game a good rate, which is certainly not deserved. I hope Desperately that some TRUE sim-city fan will develop a kickstarted project. Expand
  89. Mar 6, 2013
    Wow! I'm so disappointed with how the game going so far. I lost 2 newly start-up cities already because of disconnection. I've high expectations for this game since it cost $60.
  90. Mar 18, 2013
    Updated review after servers were fixed and I've been playing it a while:

1) Cities are too small. No bigger than my real-life suburb!
    2) Sims are not very smart.
    3) Still can't play offline because of stupid DRM.
  91. Mar 7, 2013
    The game itself is okay. It certainly isn't the best SimCity game, but it's a good place to start on an update for the franchise.

The inability for Maxis/EA to keep it's required servers online, however, is a deal breaker. The game can't even be opened unless it phones home to Maxis and then stays connected throughout the gameplay. This presents a major problem when Maxis has simply failed at keeping these servers online.

The game has been unplayable for days. This is an unacceptable way to treat your customers. Maxis should be ashamed.
  92. Mar 7, 2013
    This is the second game that I've bought from EA and will be the last. There is absolutely no excuse for the totally unplayable state of the game at launch which is purely due to the ridiculous DRM safeguards that ES seemed compelled to implement for no legitimate reason.
    I will be returning my copy to EB Games first thing tomorrow morning. I have played a lot of games at launch. Some have had their lag and connection issues. World of Warcraft and Diablo 3 spring to mind. None have even come close to being as truly awful as SIm City.
    If telling people the game will be largely unplayable for them at this point of time counts as a spoiler maybe I should tick the box.
  93. Mar 7, 2013
    Probably the worst global release of a game in the history of gaming. Always on DRM would be ok if they didnt pinch pennies and actually had the infastructure to support their product. They dont and as such this game is a failure at launch. I am not sure it will recover.
  94. Mar 7, 2013
    Have yet to be able to actually play the goddamn tutorial. EA, if you want to implement always-online DRM, fine, but then YOU are responsible for providing enough F***ING SERVERS!! You had the sales numbers, the pre-orders, there is absolutely NO excuse for this!
  95. Mar 7, 2013
    Hello, I made a metacritic account just for this, Simcity is currently a 69 AUD Frisbee as of 9:48PM Melbourne time. I give my frisbee a 4 out of 10, it just doesn't fly as far as my real frisbee.
  96. Mar 7, 2013
    Everything good about the simcity games removed and replaced with an unplayable multiplayer. No deep simulation, the best road layout is 1 snaking road with no intersections, glassbox is just a big cop out to produce a half arsed game. R.I.P Simcity.
  97. Mar 7, 2013
    Most of us remember the 1984 Apple advert, directed by Ridley Scott, showing Microsoft as a big brother-like figure, abusing consumer's rights. Flash-forward a couple of decades... it seems more like a depiction of EA and their DRM policy. Remember, remember the days when the games you bought actually belonged to you! Don't tolerate this non-sense from EA. They are greedy trend-settersMost of us remember the 1984 Apple advert, directed by Ridley Scott, showing Microsoft as a big brother-like figure, abusing consumer's rights. Flash-forward a couple of decades... it seems more like a depiction of EA and their DRM policy. Remember, remember the days when the games you bought actually belonged to you! Don't tolerate this non-sense from EA. They are greedy trend-setters that will make this the norm for computer games one day. Consoles are already on this slippery slope. Remind EA that your money is in their bank account. This is a good game ruined by a fat-cat corporation. Their DRM is not just for piracy protection. Spore was pirated before it was even released so the DRM does nothing to curb piracy. Yes, this review sounds political but just compare the computer game industry to what it was 20 years ago, and also keep in mind the gaming industry makes more money than the film industry. Gaming is big! And you pretty much get told how to play your games these days Expand
  98. Mar 8, 2013
    ATTENTION!!! Do not buy this game!! I wish someone had notified me before I wasted my money on this garbage, so hopefully I can help someone else out. I've just wasted 6 hours of my life trying to get this game to work properly and there is no hope. For those who are skeptical, just google "SimCity Servers" or "Simcity Problems". The critic reviews must have been based on a versionATTENTION!!! Do not buy this game!! I wish someone had notified me before I wasted my money on this garbage, so hopefully I can help someone else out. I've just wasted 6 hours of my life trying to get this game to work properly and there is no hope. For those who are skeptical, just google "SimCity Servers" or "Simcity Problems". The critic reviews must have been based on a version that did not require online connectivity through Origin and it's servers.

Strike 1- If you've ever played any SimCity, you know that it is a single player game and there is really no need for internet access.

Strike 2- If EA was going to force the online DRM on us, they should have at least made sure that you can actually get online... You can't, I can't, and no one has been able to since the game launched days ago.

Strike 3- It would be nice if you could save the game so you could save what little progress you might make before the game fails. Of course, you cannot even save the game when you want to. Strike, er 4?- Adding insult to injury, one must complete the tutorial before getting to actual gameplay. Since you cannot get through the tutorial without the game crashing and cannot save your progress, you are perpetually stuck replaying the first 5 minutes of the tutorial... Awful.

To heck with it, Strike 5- EA should at least be communicating honestly with purchasers/customers about the errors rather than posting blatant lies about how only a small percentage is unable to play and ridiculous excuses on why its not working or how its being fixed and when.

Supreme fail by EA.
  99. Mar 11, 2013
    Take £45 out your pocket and burn it, at least you will get some warmth. My point is, this game is unplayable and a total waste of cash. The server issues due to online DRM ensure that you wont be able to play this game. No point reviewing this any further, its just unplayable.
  100. Mar 12, 2013
    One of the most frustrating experience I ever had. Can't change my "game name", can't join to region, even can't play my saved cities if servers are unaccessible. SimCity franchise is now dead for me, after 'SimCity Societes' and this piece of... something I will never buy this title again.

Given enough patches and DCLs, SimCity might eventually become the game that should have been on its release and justify the ambiguous choices that its developers made. [May 2013]
  2. May 9, 2013
    Hints at great things but is limited by small cities and promises it can't deliver on. [June 2013, p.80]
  3. May 9, 2013
    There's more problems with this game than I have words. Looks great though. [June 2013, p.80]