2.2

1. Mar 6, 2013
    EA must have thought they would be able to get away with a high priced game, day 1 DLC, micro-transations, online save games, and the ability to completely disable the game when its no longer profitable to run the DRM servers because SimCity is a popular and well respected game franchise. Well EA have probably just destroyed it and not just because of the reasons already mentioned, butEA must have thought they would be able to get away with a high priced game, day 1 DLC, micro-transations, online save games, and the ability to completely disable the game when its no longer profitable to run the DRM servers because SimCity is a popular and well respected game franchise. Well EA have probably just destroyed it and not just because of the reasons already mentioned, but because the game is dumbed down and boring and the city sizes are tiny. They should have called this game DRMTown rather than SimCity. Expand
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    Half of the time I cannot even play the game. The always-on online DRM ruins games. This is terrible, and when I can play sometimes the game crashes.
  3. Mar 6, 2013
    I purchased this game and have been unable to play it once. I purchased the game using the Origin website. I was able to log onto the servers once, but then the game crashed after about 5-10 minutes of the tutorial. Now I am unable to start another game. Unable to get refund. I am calling my credit card company to prevent payment.
  4. Mar 6, 2013
    Until I can play this game my score will remain a zero. I understand some people are able to sit around and keep trying until they get into the game. Between school and work I don't have the time to do that. It is frustrating that I can't play a game due to EA servers. To those complaining how people are in the wrong giving low scores based on this alone, I feel we have the right toUntil I can play this game my score will remain a zero. I understand some people are able to sit around and keep trying until they get into the game. Between school and work I don't have the time to do that. It is frustrating that I can't play a game due to EA servers. To those complaining how people are in the wrong giving low scores based on this alone, I feel we have the right to complain about something broken. To anyone looking at buying this game, do not at the current moment. Give it time till EA can prove their servers are in better shape, or even better when/if they add offline play. Expand
  5. Mar 6, 2013
    I've actually gotten to play the game a little bit, and it's fun. The maps are too small, but I still probably would have given the game an 8. Unfortunately the game barely works, and in fact for the past 8 hours of the 2nd day after launch it hasn't worked AT ALL. Most people have vilified the required always on internet connection and DRM. I knew all about that going in, and so didI've actually gotten to play the game a little bit, and it's fun. The maps are too small, but I still probably would have given the game an 8. Unfortunately the game barely works, and in fact for the past 8 hours of the 2nd day after launch it hasn't worked AT ALL. Most people have vilified the required always on internet connection and DRM. I knew all about that going in, and so did everyone else who read about the game before it came out. I personally don't have a problem with the idea of those policies if the game works. It doesn't. I didn't pay 60 dollars to participate in a beta test, and neither should anyone else. This game is a zero and EA should be ashamed. Expand
  6. Mar 6, 2013
    Unable to play. Tutorial will not progress past the loading screen. Queues to play a single player game.

This is unacceptable EA. I expect things that I purchase to work as advertised on day one. Fix this.
  7. Mar 6, 2013
    Just helping to drag down the rating here in hopes that EA will learn a lesson here. Do not block me from playing a single player game because your servers are insufficient. 48 Hours after launch. This is unacceptable,
  8. Mar 6, 2013
    What is there to say about this game that hasn't been said? Nothing.
    What is there to say about this game that hasn't been said? Nothing.
    The constant internet connection requirements Or DRM is going to be the downfall of this game plain and simple. I'm an older gamer and of all my friends I'm the only one that plays non-sports video games...So this whole online social interaction with games isn't something I'm interested in. I play SOLO! Which means I shouldn't need to connect to the internet or try and log into full servers.

The servers have been busy since launch! They even added another 4 servers (2 more for the U.S 2 more for Europe) but they all remain busy. To access these busy servers they place you in a queue which checks for availability every 20 mins! Who wants to wait 20 mins in queue to play a game in 2013? To make matters worse city saves don't transfer across all the different servers. So if you developed an entire "region" on the EAST USA 1 server it's restricted to that server. So having to jump onto another server means you have to start all over again. During gameplay if the server goes down, which has happened 8 times in 12H of game time played, then your progress isn't saved and you again have to start over. The maps are way to small. Weird glitches take place. Factories/casinos/schools all magically stop working causing massive crashes in population. I think they included the fluctuating population feature b/c of the small map size. Curved roads are useless. They waste space which is very crucial in this version. If you're willing to pay for a game that you will have limited access too, will constantly have to restart due to developer incompetence, get frustrated by illogical glitches then buy the game. I would recommend not buying this game. Spend 5$ on a Kairosoft game (Game dev story/mega mall story) you'll get more enjoyment and better performance from that game.
  9. Mar 6, 2013
    I created a Metacritic account just to review this game. Here are some simple points.
    a) The DRM is ATROCIOUS. IT WON'T EVEN "AUTHENTICATE ME" TO PLAY SINGLEPLAYER.
    b) If that isn't enough, THE GAME CRASHES EVERY 15 MINUTES.
    c) From what I played of the game, it's mediocre at best.
    d) This is a complete waste of $60 and I swear I will never buy another EA game again.
  10. Mar 6, 2013
    I don't agree about people claiming that the DRM should not influence the score of the game.
    This is severely limiting my game experience, not allowing me to play it when and where I want (on the road in the train? not possible).
    For a game focused about singleplayer (who believes this community BS anyway) this is a big minus. The fact that it does not work properly to start with is in
    The fact that it does not work properly to start with is in this age of clouds, flexible computing a meager excuse.
    If you impose it, better make it work or your customers will be unhappy. My boss wouldn't accept such a lame excuse either.

I asked for a refund and will not buy or play an EA game from now on.
  11. Mar 6, 2013
    If you buy a singleplayer game and can't play on release day because of server issues, the game is basically defective. I would have been willing to stomach Online-DRM, but only if it actually worked. Customers should be no testbed for server architecture.
  12. Mar 6, 2013
    Massive step back for the franchise which reached its peak with SimCity 4. This release owes much more to the Sims in terms of concept and gameplay. Definitely not in the mold of a classic city simulator.
  13. Mar 7, 2013
    Simply put, this version is no longer a city sim, but rather a city version of the sims series. This was the worst release I've experienced in 15 years of online gaming. I don't mind the DRM as long as I have the option to play offline (not avail...) in the case that I'll be frequently travelling with no persistent internet connection. What I really hate about it is once they realizeSimply put, this version is no longer a city sim, but rather a city version of the sims series. This was the worst release I've experienced in 15 years of online gaming. I don't mind the DRM as long as I have the option to play offline (not avail...) in the case that I'll be frequently travelling with no persistent internet connection. What I really hate about it is once they realize that keeping the game online is costing them more money than they tricked loyal SC fans out of, they just turn off the lights and we are out the $60-80. Frequent server drops and synch issues made it impossible to join public regions despite having access to a fiberoptic connection on the west coast. I didn't get the opportunity to participate in the betas or I probably would not have bought the game. Well played EA. Like many others here, my first impression of the game was a great big WTF!? The cities... err neighborhoods... are tiny and it really does feel like a facebook game. Gone are the custom maps and giant cities where you designed your own mass transit and raised your populations to huge numbers. If you enjoyed SC4 you probably wont like this game... I hate to say it but give Cities XL a go instead. I'm usually very understanding of release or patch issues since I am a software developer/DBA myself, but the types and seriousness of problems I encountered really made me wonder if half the code was even tested. I imagine it was more like "Hey we said March release, let's just put out what we have by then and deal with the fallout by using coyly worded press releases and ninja hotfixes". Expand
  14. Mar 7, 2013
    The game itself seems fine, but it's been out for 2 days and I still can't play it because of the always online DRM. It's unacceptable for a single player game to use that kind of system.
  15. Mar 7, 2013
    The game itself is interesting, server administration and offline for a long time. Too bad Given the poor response. Origin terrible response to market. Once again the game itself is interesting.
  16. Mar 7, 2013
    Spent the last 5 hours trying to play this but haven't been able to load up a city.

Worst part of the server congestion is the lack of UI feedback. I don't get anything telling me the server is full, or even a wait time all I get is generic errors that amount to "That didn't work, try again later." I haven't bought a game at launch for ages now, and I'm really regretting not doing

I haven't bought a game at launch for ages now, and I'm really regretting not doing what I usually do and wait till it was in the bargain bin. Of course by then the servers would probably be completely off.

I miss single player gaming.
  17. Mar 7, 2013
    Regardless of how great the game MIGHT be this debacle of a launch cannot get anything more than a zip,zilch, zero. I have tried for over two hourse to get at game started. A single player, private game...
    "We are confident the European launch will go smoothly" my A**
    "We are confident the European launch will go smoothly" my A**
    After being thrown out of servers, being stuck on "Searching for update"-screen (only way to get past was to manually erase files on my hard drive), not being able to do anything but scroll around the map in tutorial mode three times on two different servers and not being able to start so much as a single teeny weeny ramshackle town I cannot recommend buying this at this point to anyone!
    I really, really wanted to like this game. I didn't care too much about neither the always online nor the smaller map size but to pay so much money for something that doesn't work what so ever is not ok...
    There is no possible excuse for releasing such a broken product and there is sure as hell no way I would recommend anyone to but this product at this time.

(Great, after being thrown out of the servers again I'm stuck on "Searching for updates"... Again...)
  18. Mar 7, 2013
    Is this going to be the way forward for all pc game launches? with unusable servers, unfinished content and online single player games that only work when your rooster and goat are pointed into the wind on a full moon?.
    I still have nightmares about a company called Ubisoft that mostly started this and i have not bought a game off them since.
    To the fan boys- the game maybe good but the
    To the fan boys- the game maybe good but the total game experience is ruined with another 2 finger salute from money hungry company's that should not be tolerated or encouraged in any form.
  19. Mar 7, 2013
    I'd love to give this game a good score, however as usual EA have b0rked the release. AU release late, costs more dollars than any other country, pre-load that doesn't pre-load anything, and now I can't actually play the game because there are no servers. Great work EA!
  20. Mar 7, 2013
    Acquistato l'anno scorso in prevendita e dopo quasi 10 ore dal lancio europeo (più di 24 dal lancio usa) non mi permette nemmeno di giocare? No ragazzi, non ci siamo.
  21. Mar 7, 2013
    always-on-drm is not acceptable in SimCity. EA killed the franchise. Played every SimCity-like game for hundrends of hours not buying this one because of EA stupid and greedy market practice. Its a shame, because maxis built a really nice sim engine.
  22. Mar 7, 2013
    EA had YEARS to prepare for this launch. YEARS. What did they do with it? They let it go straight down a nasty toilet.

This game was meant to be great, but always-on DRM isn't a winner in this category. Nobody likes it and EA is paying the price. Servers are constantly clogged. And if you play for a an hour, it will be slow and you'll suddenly be kicked off without any game

Servers are constantly clogged. And if you play for a an hour, it will be slow and you'll suddenly be kicked off without any game save. Boom! All your work is gon!
  23. Mar 7, 2013
    I have been able to play 3 hours since launch. Being forced to play through Origin, (which didn't predownload the game), and being forced to go online was a hard pill to swallow. Now the servers have crashed and nearly 4 days after game was scheduled to be out I still can't play. The little amount of time I did play was ok. City size was too small, then I didn't know what to do. ThoughtI have been able to play 3 hours since launch. Being forced to play through Origin, (which didn't predownload the game), and being forced to go online was a hard pill to swallow. Now the servers have crashed and nearly 4 days after game was scheduled to be out I still can't play. The little amount of time I did play was ok. City size was too small, then I didn't know what to do. Thought the game play was too easy. I also dont' get why it wants this Evil Vu character to turn my citizens into criminals. No I don't want to turn this business into a mafia esque stranglehold. The amount of joy I had playing my first city for 3 hours was quickly wiped away when 2 other cities were lost without the ability to save when the game consistanstly crashed. I was hesitant of EA. I will never buy another EA game. Expand
  24. Mar 7, 2013
    I managed to play the game last night and I was amazed on how amazing the game play is, BUT THIS ALWAYS ONLINE DRM thing is just terrible. I spend good hard earn money on this and they give me sever issues? This is just insulting!
  25. Mar 7, 2013
    EA Games, destroy everything.
    Permanent connection, less difficult, tiny maps... I was a big fan of SimCity, but I think we should turn the page now.
  26. Mar 7, 2013
    What's the point of the developers spending so much time and effort making this game when we can't even get onto the server to play it. Cloud based gaming is just rubbish. I would much rather have my save file saved to my PC and thus allow me to play without wondering whether EA will have its server's fixed
  27. Mar 7, 2013
    What a let down. Played for a few hours and really liked the game. Only to return to my city a few hours later and realise it didn't save my city's progress because the server connection failed during play. Two hours of playing were gone. Unacceptable!!!!
  28. Mar 8, 2013
    I'm going to be extremely generous in this review by pretending I'm writing from the perspective of six months from now, that all the server issues have been fixed, and that perhaps EA has even modified some of the most egregious limitations of the online DRM. As a longtime SimCity fan who's played every iteration of the game, though, going back to Will Wright's original classic, it trulyI'm going to be extremely generous in this review by pretending I'm writing from the perspective of six months from now, that all the server issues have been fixed, and that perhaps EA has even modified some of the most egregious limitations of the online DRM. As a longtime SimCity fan who's played every iteration of the game, though, going back to Will Wright's original classic, it truly pains me to say I still cannot recommend this game.

The city size issue mentioned by many here is actually not new, but it's become so bad that it actually undermines the core premise of the game (that one is simulating a "city"). I can still recall being disappointed at how small SimCity 4's city areas seemed relative to SimCity 3000, but here the typical "city" is, without exaggeration, neighborhood-size. At 2x2 km, a typical city lot is slightly larger than Park Slope in Brooklyn, assuming there is no water or other unbuildable terrain. Truth be told, SimCity never handled scale all that well, but with these dimensions, the very notion of mass transit itself becomes absurd, as a pedestrian could walk across the city in a matter of minutes. It's little wonder that agricultural zoning and subways have disappeared. The cities are simply too small for them.

This alone is enough to severely limit the appeal of the game to me, but the regional system, too, is poorly implemented. The essence of SimCity was, after all, always the Mayorship, and the Mayor's authority extends only to the borders of his city. Attempting to create regional economies and specializations, where players are forced to constantly deal with neighbors (whether in multiplayer or single-player) ultimately detracts from the experience, IMO. This is not SimCounty or SimState or SimRegionalEconomicPartnership, it's SimCity! The scale and shape of the cities, moreover, makes the "regions" appear quite ridiculous and not at all realistic.

Zoning, a core element of the game, has been given an overhaul, but not for the better. Previous versions built in infrastructure cost as part of the zoning itself (higher densities cost more to zone), but did not care what size street they fronted. Here, zoning is free, but all depends on the type of fronting street. This makes it impossible to construct anything like Lower Manhattan or downtown Boston. Your options are basically Phoenix, Las Vegas or Houston, on a tiny scale. The streets can be curvy now, yes, but since building lots remain square (was it really that hard to snap lots and buildings to irregular spaces?), this produces a tremendous amount of wasted space.

The time scale of SimCity was always perplexing, with the early emphasis on dirty industry, later transitioning to electronics and white collar services, suggestive of a starting point during the industrial revolution and moving through the late 20th century (I believe SC 2000 had a possible starting year of 1900 A.D., though contemporary tech was always available, and culminated with futuristic arcologies). The tantalizing possibilities of building a game that captures the sweep of urban history in this manner, a sort of Civilization of city-building, has been left unexplored here. Instead, the player lives in a perpetual now, with only a handful of technological enhancements here and there. About the AI, many uncomplimentary things could be said. Multiple fire trucks respond to a single modest house fire even as a wall of flame sweeps through the industrial district. Residents make contradictory statements about their proximity to shopping. And so on.

I'm trying to think of a few positive things to say here, and I do like the option of simply adding on to, rather than demolishing and rebuilding, certain buildings. The graphics are attractive enough, if a bit cartoony. Overall, though, it's just not a step up from SC 4, or even from the two before it. Did fans really wait 10 years for this? Perhaps Maxis can, in time, mend some of the flaws. Others are here to stay, reflective of what looks like a long-term shift away from single-player in-depth games to a ones better suited to an era of smart phones and short attention spans. For SimCity, though, one of the ultimate time wasters and friend to micromanagers everywhere, that design imperative may very well be fatal to the venerable franchise.
  29. Mar 8, 2013
    An absolutely awesome city building game, if only it didn't have so many ongoing issues. Purchased this product on release day and have dealt with nothing but freezes, failure to connect to server messages, never ending countdown timers, and disconnects. What's really starting to piss me off is when an available server is selected and it states my game is ready, but then it only loads asAn absolutely awesome city building game, if only it didn't have so many ongoing issues. Purchased this product on release day and have dealt with nothing but freezes, failure to connect to server messages, never ending countdown timers, and disconnects. What's really starting to piss me off is when an available server is selected and it states my game is ready, but then it only loads as far as the main menu where, you guess it disconnect. I swear EA thinks this game is like their other first-person shooters where all gamers have to do is just switch servers. Wrong! Some of us actually want to continue building our cities instead of constantly having to restart from the ground up. I've also lost two good sized cities due to server disconnects and many smaller ones that just disappeared into the cloud. I can't in good conscience recommend this game to anyone including my worst enemy. However, if you like not being able to play a game you rightfully paid for, enjoy slamming your head against a wall until unconscious. Expand
  30. Mar 9, 2013
    It seems games companies refuse to learn from past mistakes. Or maybe they keep retrenching employees after every game release who would have known better. And so SimCity joins the long line of failures because of lack of developer/publisher planning and heavy handed DRM schemes. UbiSoft learned a hard lesson from forcing DRM on people. And now EA will learn that lesson as well. If I can'tIt seems games companies refuse to learn from past mistakes. Or maybe they keep retrenching employees after every game release who would have known better. And so SimCity joins the long line of failures because of lack of developer/publisher planning and heavy handed DRM schemes. UbiSoft learned a hard lesson from forcing DRM on people. And now EA will learn that lesson as well. If I can't play a game because I am locked out of a server or I can't interact meaningfully with other players in SimCity because features have been turned off at the last minute well what is the point of selling me that game EA.

Shame on you EA. Once again you continue to feed your own stereotype of one of the world's worst game publishers.
  31. Mar 9, 2013
    EZ, simple review here: Bought the game and paid $60 for me and another $60 shot for my son... thinking father and son game play, right? WRONG! 4 days later, still no servers available, network down, lost connections. In short not ready for prime time.
    **They even had a beta period to test this thing unbelievable screw up on many fronts. The game is just not ready save your money.
    What I have been able to see graphics are stunning and game play looks great if it works. City sizes are limited and small too bad, and offline mode is a must. Wont ever buy a game with this platform again and will definatelt think hard and probably decide against anything with EA on it On top of all the issues, they disabled your ability to contact them for help. Pathetic.
  32. Mar 10, 2013
    It's all been said. A great city building game for anyone who doesn't like playing city building games. It has far more in common with Simcity Societies than Simcity4.
  33. Mar 11, 2013
    Continue to play simcity 4. This version is better graphically, but gameplay is zero: the maps are tiny, disasters can not be disabled. Big disappointment, and a sense of myself cheated
  34. Mar 11, 2013
    "Always-on DRM is a disease that we cannot allow ourselves to be so willingly infected by. It’s a curse on gaming. It’s diminishing our experiences, reducing the possibilities for our play, and creating a space where faulty games are accepted as complete. Always-on DRM is a broken game. They need to be fixed.""Always-on DRM is a disease that we cannot allow ourselves to be so willingly infected by. It’s a curse on gaming. It’s diminishing our experiences, reducing the possibilities for our play, and creating a space where faulty games are accepted as complete. Always-on DRM is a broken game. They need to be fixed."

35. Mar 11, 2013
    Oh ....always on DRM is for the players benefit? Well that changes everything then.....I had no idea that not being able to play a single player game due to failing server tech is all for MY benefit.

EA you have sunk to a new low......last game I ever buy from Electronic
  36. Mar 11, 2013
    What a sad time for gamer's when the 'mainstream' industry keeps shooting itself in the foot like this with its DRM and 'streamlined for the masses' mentality. It’s obvious why this game tanked on so many levels, too much PUBLISHER influence. The root of all evil in the gaming industry these days and the main reason the industry is tanking as a whole, is the corporate, suit wearingWhat a sad time for gamer's when the 'mainstream' industry keeps shooting itself in the foot like this with its DRM and 'streamlined for the masses' mentality. It’s obvious why this game tanked on so many levels, too much PUBLISHER influence. The root of all evil in the gaming industry these days and the main reason the industry is tanking as a whole, is the corporate, suit wearing Jackoff, that has zero creative and artistic ability influencing game development. The 'Suit' has no place in an artistic and creative industry, they just get in the way. As long as publishers keep messing with the development formula games will only be about, how many 'units' are sold, Metacritic scores, and what the current 'trend' is. Just remember EA, you bang the nails in your own coffin. Expand
  37. Mar 11, 2013
    Look at the positive critic reviews. Remember the names of the organizations that gave those ridiculous scores. Remember them and never support them. Their reviews and very integrity are for sale. When users collectively rate a game 1.6 out of 10, and a professional critic rates it 100% perfect, it doesn't take a genious to figure out what is going on. I can only pray that this gameLook at the positive critic reviews. Remember the names of the organizations that gave those ridiculous scores. Remember them and never support them. Their reviews and very integrity are for sale. When users collectively rate a game 1.6 out of 10, and a professional critic rates it 100% perfect, it doesn't take a genious to figure out what is going on. I can only pray that this game is a huge enough financial flop to make EA finally get the message, but i doubt it. 10 years from now, people will still be playing all the old SImCity games, 1-4, but the servers for this latest installment will have been down for years, rendering it unplayable. Fortunately, nobody will want to play it anyways. This game made me want to dust off SinCity 4, and take it for a spin. Expand
  38. Mar 13, 2013
    Never support forced online DRM. It makes me sick that EA thinks it can shove this always-on DRM into the game but why not it worked for Diablow. I can't believe anyone would support this behaviour, there should be 0 positive reviews on this page.
  39. Mar 13, 2013
    I'm not here to rage about DRM. Yeah it sucks, but what can you do? At this point, the servers are a little unreliable but I have played 106 hours and haven't had any major issues in about 3 days now. Most of these reviews bash the DRM and always online blah blah blah, but it's not just that. The AI is beyond horrible. You start getting up to 80k population (which is tiny) and things goI'm not here to rage about DRM. Yeah it sucks, but what can you do? At this point, the servers are a little unreliable but I have played 106 hours and haven't had any major issues in about 3 days now. Most of these reviews bash the DRM and always online blah blah blah, but it's not just that. The AI is beyond horrible. You start getting up to 80k population (which is tiny) and things go from bad to worse quickly. Sims stack up and fill the streets needlessly, buses from other regions all flood into the city back to back at the same time, your freight trucks (the backbone of profit) get stuck in this traffic and your city begins to burn to the ground. The traffic and AI is not just challenging, as I first thought it was, it's just broken. It completely ruins your sense of success in building a thriving city. Sure, you can get around it with exploits and bugs like only zoning residential with some parks, or dirt access roads for trade express lanes, but it just sucks that you can't just build a big badass city and have things work right the way they should. The game is fun for a while, or if you aren't really hardcore about it, but I can't recommend it to any of my friends that have previously played the franchise. It's bad news, pick it up in the bargain bin in 6 months. Maybe they will have fixed a couple things by then. Expand
  40. Mar 13, 2013
    We were promised a great revival of the franchise. Instead we got a really casual boring game that should be rather called "sim-really-small-town". And yet it costs 80$ has a huuuuuuuuge set of bugs and has the worst kind of DRM ever. To all fans of SimCity3000 and SimCity4 I'd recommend buying CitiesXL and avoiding SimCity 5.
  41. Mar 5, 2013
    The online DRM I can get past. Kinda pissed I won't be able to play anymore once ea decides its no longer worth their time, but overall not that big of a deal. The big problem though is the fact that I can't play for longer than 10 minutes before it crashes. In addition, it took me an hour before I could get it to work since it redirected me to a non-working tutorial over and over againThe online DRM I can get past. Kinda pissed I won't be able to play anymore once ea decides its no longer worth their time, but overall not that big of a deal. The big problem though is the fact that I can't play for longer than 10 minutes before it crashes. In addition, it took me an hour before I could get it to work since it redirected me to a non-working tutorial over and over again until I reset the mini-tutorial option by chance. After that it randomly let me get back to my city. All of this was after having to try about 15 times to create a city and getting an error message telling me to try again.

The tiny map size is annoying, and if I ever get to play for any length of time, I'll be able to accurately evaluate that.
  42. Mar 5, 2013
    Although the game itself is amazing it really doesn't mean anything when you can't play it. Between the massive problems EA had getting the game to even release to the issues where you wait 20 min in a queue just to have it reset or allow you to join for an endless loading screen. Although you expect issues with a day 1 release those bugs usually still let you play the game, such asAlthough the game itself is amazing it really doesn't mean anything when you can't play it. Between the massive problems EA had getting the game to even release to the issues where you wait 20 min in a queue just to have it reset or allow you to join for an endless loading screen. Although you expect issues with a day 1 release those bugs usually still let you play the game, such as endless audio loops or menus disappearing which I have had happen in Simcity. People would be willing to deal with always online DRM if it actually let us play the game we paid $60. I hope that EA offers some sort of credit or in game items for all of the mess. If not I'll just go buy the physical copy if I buy it at all. Expand
  43. Mar 5, 2013
    Despite the always online DRM BS and the maps being the size of a small suburb, I still purchased this with the hopes it might be entertaining. Well After playing for an hour and logging out I have now lost my "City". I also cannot create a new region or join another users region.

What a pile of smoking horse s$%t. Requesting a refund from Amazon, and if they don't play ball I'll file a report with my bank.
  44. Mar 5, 2013
    Yup once again the evil EA and their always on DRM had ruined the experience. It's worst than the Diablo 3 launch. I swear this is the last time I'll buy anything from EA again. In fact, I am gonna pirate this game later. I bet the cracked off line version is so much better.
  45. Mar 7, 2013
    I have loved SimCity from the first one but EA has ruined the game for me. Just return this defective buggy product. That what I have done and will most likely never buy it unless they make major changes. Amazon was great about offering me a full refund for my opened game. EA says they will give refunds in press release but you can always stop/dispute payment with your credit card forI have loved SimCity from the first one but EA has ruined the game for me. Just return this defective buggy product. That what I have done and will most likely never buy it unless they make major changes. Amazon was great about offering me a full refund for my opened game. EA says they will give refunds in press release but you can always stop/dispute payment with your credit card for faulty product. Hurting EA's bottom line is the only way they will ever pay attention. The biggest problem is not the DRM but that you have to always play on a server. You log on to play a "Single Player Game" and if server is down you are out of luck. The sever goes down while you are playing and you cannot save losing your progress and you are out of luck. Server is busy and there is a wait line and nothing you can do. EA decides it doesn't want to support the server and gives 30 days notice that your game will break and you are out of luck.

In addition the little bit of play time that I was able to do there seems to be holes/missing buildings and options in the game. I can only suspect that this will be the Sims 3 again costing several hundreds of dollars to own the complete game.

Again decide to pass and pickup any copy of the older SimCities and you'll be vastly more satisfied.
  46. Mar 6, 2013
    Its more like Sim Town given the size restrictions. Suggest you read this for a nice compilation of how restrictive the game is: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/03/simcity-impressions-we-waited-ten-years-for-this/
  47. Mar 6, 2013
    Sim City is beautiful and the interface is perfect (really good job on it guys). But what happened to the real Sim City This game is really frustrating for 2 major points and 1 other reason:
    - The size of map is ridiculous (we can fill a map in 2 hours max). No possibilities of creation for a gigantic city.
    - The game is easy. Even if I add a lot of taxes to my population, it's still
    - The game is easy. Even if I add a lot of taxes to my population, it's still easy to keep your city safe.

The last point concerns your DRM it's fully on-line and this is annoying. If Origin doesn't work, you can't play. Why did you do the same mistake as Diablo 3 ?

My fear concerns the future: if Maxims adds a lot of paid DRM for special building bigger maps, that would be the glory of shame. I hope I am wrong but for now, as a Sim City fan, I am disappointed.
  48. Mar 6, 2013
    when you buy a game you probably expect to be able to play it. EA's servers are constantly down so playing this game when you want to is not something you can expect. You'll be playing when EA wants you to and a few years down the road when they stop paying for servers, you won't be able to play at all. This happens to MMOs when they cease to be profitable. This should never happen to awhen you buy a game you probably expect to be able to play it. EA's servers are constantly down so playing this game when you want to is not something you can expect. You'll be playing when EA wants you to and a few years down the road when they stop paying for servers, you won't be able to play at all. This happens to MMOs when they cease to be profitable. This should never happen to a single-player game like SimCity. Expand
  49. Mar 6, 2013
    I don't understand why a lot of the backlash is a surprise to anyone, least of all Maxis and EA. Every one of these issues were raised ad nauseum in the months leading up to the release and neither Maxis nor EA refused to acknowledge that they were problems. Instead, it was all about justification and explaining that they were 'heading in a different direction'. What company in their rightI don't understand why a lot of the backlash is a surprise to anyone, least of all Maxis and EA. Every one of these issues were raised ad nauseum in the months leading up to the release and neither Maxis nor EA refused to acknowledge that they were problems. Instead, it was all about justification and explaining that they were 'heading in a different direction'. What company in their right mind tries to tell the consumer what they want? The problem is, I doubt EA will learn any lessons from this because they're surfing the wave of popularity that already surrounds SimCity. They didn't earn it for themselves. What a bunch of pricks.

Sure, the graphics are updated and 3D and the civic buildings can be modified and it's nice to watch sims running around doing their 'thang', but this is a SIMULATION, which demands realism and high levels of control, especially because this is the sixth incarnation and by this stage Maxis should freakin' know what works and what doesn't. What do we get? No subways. No terraforming. No highways. No control outside of the assigned squares. PITIFUL square sizes (what's the point of making curvy roads when you're discouraged from using them because there's no space). No ability to use height restrictions. Determining density from the type of road is just plain bizarre and awkward. And, I might add, not what's done in the real world.

The thing I truly hate about this is that even if I try to be as creative as possible and build up my population, it's just gonna look pathetic because it'll be a bunch of small square skyscrapers with nothing but grass in between.

Hey Maxis and EA here's a newsflash for you. I want to decide where my highways go, and what parts of my region are green, and how big my cities are, and where I want high density to go, and if my city has a subway system or not. I want it all to be my choice, not YOURS.

And I haven't even mentioned the DRM or DLC, which no doubt will attempt to correct some of the glaring problems... for a modest fee, of course.

I want a refund.
  50. Mar 6, 2013
    Bought the game through amazon. Put the product code in and it told me the game was unreleased.....so I'm gonna be that guy and slam the user reviews until they can figure something out
  51. Mar 6, 2013
    After waiting for around 30 minutes in a queue to finally play the game, my city gets corrupted and I lose some of my progress so far. This is unacceptable. This is for all intents and purposes a single player game and there's no reason to be always online. DO NOT BUY!
  52. Mar 6, 2013
    All I can currently say is "Go yourself, EA". Your politics of game distribution accessibility are a terrible excuse. You're no longer a company worth of publishing any quality product. This SimCity got broken due to your ignorance, inability to accept the fact that people does not want to be milked cows, buy and smile. Forget your huge profits. Soon, they'll be gone for the greater goodAll I can currently say is "Go yourself, EA". Your politics of game distribution accessibility are a terrible excuse. You're no longer a company worth of publishing any quality product. This SimCity got broken due to your ignorance, inability to accept the fact that people does not want to be milked cows, buy and smile. Forget your huge profits. Soon, they'll be gone for the greater good of games industry. Wait and see, you filthy whore, EA. Gamers still hold the power to control your greed. Expand
  53. Mar 6, 2013
    Unable to connect to sim city servers................can not play.......................$59.99 ........................the pirates win and the paying customer gets the shaft.
  54. Mar 6, 2013
    I dowloaded and installed the game without problems but after it I can't play it because server are offline, server is not available etc. problems. I tried it one hours, read many similar user experience and different forums.
    Here are test result from speedtest.net mine Internet connection is good:
    Date Download Upload Ping
    Here are test result from speedtest.net mine Internet connection is good:
    Date Download Upload Ping
    07.03.2013 01:04 CET 60.85 Mb/s 6.18 Mb/s 15 ms I do not recommend to buy this game I did it because I read positive review from beta. It is looks that EA servers can't handle that many players, or they have bugs in server part of game. Whatewer reason is many customers can't play the game this is not that developers/vendors shloud do for gamers. I already raised refund request I hope that they at least return money back. Shame on EA, shame on Maxis.
  55. Mar 6, 2013
    Worthless. Anti-consumer DRM that forces you to be online when you play, which means that when the servers go down (like today) you can't play. Yes you read it right. You can't play your single-player game because the servers are down.
  56. Mar 6, 2013
    I haven't played SimCity in a long time, so I was looking very forward to getting back into the franchise. So far, I've experienced far more disappointment than satisfaction. #1, because of the always online DRM, your ability to play the game at any given time rests squarely in the hands of EA. You're essentially leasing the game from them, you're not buying it, it's not yours. #2,I haven't played SimCity in a long time, so I was looking very forward to getting back into the franchise. So far, I've experienced far more disappointment than satisfaction. #1, because of the always online DRM, your ability to play the game at any given time rests squarely in the hands of EA. You're essentially leasing the game from them, you're not buying it, it's not yours. #2, it's has a SINGLE PLAYER GAME component that still has always online DRM. It's conceptually ridiculous when a single player game relies on a 3rd party in order to even work. #3, when I finally got in, I initially enjoyed playing the game. The aspects of city-building are pretty deep. The downside quickly became apparent; there's no room to build sprawling cities like with past titles.

..... #4, make no mistake, this is designed to be a multiplayer game where a collective ground of people each contributes to an overall goal for a region. I prefer to play the single player component, but in its current state, that isn't very good.
  57. Mar 7, 2013
    Do not buy this game! Not because of it's DRM, not because of it's server issues, but because EA has openly stated that they WILL NOT refund your money when they fail to deliver the product that you paid for. I have been unable to even play the TUTORIAL level because the server crashes every time I attempt to play, and I have been trying to play for 3 hours across two days. EA doesn'tDo not buy this game! Not because of it's DRM, not because of it's server issues, but because EA has openly stated that they WILL NOT refund your money when they fail to deliver the product that you paid for. I have been unable to even play the TUTORIAL level because the server crashes every time I attempt to play, and I have been trying to play for 3 hours across two days. EA doesn't deserve any money from anyone because of such blatant disregard for their customers.

For those of you that think "Server issues are the norm, don't blame the company", this is a terrible mentality to have. Companies can easily afford to have enough servers in place to handle the load, they just don't care to spend the money on them. Don't encourage companies to have this kind of behavior.

For proof, here is the link to EA's return policy: https://help.ea.com/article/returns-and-cancellations
  58. Mar 6, 2013
    Totally unplayable! Spent 3 hours trying to log in and was finally successful. Played half the tutorial only to be kicked off as the servers went down again. This was trying to play SINGLE PLAYER!! People would be better off using an offline pirated version of this game as it might actually work!! What a joke.
  59. Mar 6, 2013
    Can't believe i bought a game that doesn't allow me to play.
    Started 2 cities that vanished after about 7 hours of play. Amazing. After the devs talked about how passionate they are about the game i can't believe this. Why am i not surprised anymore, EA.
  60. Mar 6, 2013
    This game is totally unplayable. The fact that you are forced to play constantly on-line even when you just want to play a single player game is just idiotic but worse is that it just doesn't work. I've been trying to play now for quite a while and it just tells me a lot of nonsens that it cannot do create or claim a city.

I CANNOT EVEN PLAY THE BLOODY TUTORIALS !!!!! However made

I CANNOT EVEN PLAY THE BLOODY TUTORIALS !!!!!

However made this game is utterly incompetent. I'm going to ask for a refund.
  61. Mar 6, 2013
    It's a waste of time and money, and the fact that they're BLATANTLY LYING about having fixed servers and are not doing ANYTHING to compensate for this massive failure of a launch is an enormous slap in the face. The game was actually really fun for the few hours i got to play, after waiting 4 hours to install a game FROM A DISC because i needed to connect to the servers to install it forIt's a waste of time and money, and the fact that they're BLATANTLY LYING about having fixed servers and are not doing ANYTHING to compensate for this massive failure of a launch is an enormous slap in the face. The game was actually really fun for the few hours i got to play, after waiting 4 hours to install a game FROM A DISC because i needed to connect to the servers to install it for some stupid reason, and before the server crashed and I lost MY ENTIRE CITY. The fact that it forces you be be always online was a horrible mistake on EAs part. This isn't an MMO its a single player city simulation. Their customer service is non-existent and the announcements being given by the company saying that servers are patched and running have all been false. Absolutely ridiculous. Expand
  62. Mar 6, 2013
    Please make an offline version.... The game itself is not polished enough. There are much less variety of buildings, and the city size is very small.
  63. Mar 6, 2013
    Even though EA promised to have fixed the issues for the international launch of the game, they failed to do so, I have yet to be able to play, I can connect to the server fine, but cannot create my SINGLE PLAYER world.
    Do NOT buy this game until they fixed all the issues or removed the horrible always-on DRM.
    Not only does it stop your game if you loose connection, you also have ZERO
    Not only does it stop your game if you loose connection, you also have ZERO control over your saved-games, you can't even transfer them between servers.
  64. Mar 7, 2013
    The game is not bad, but the server has a lot of problems. I played a few hours and every 5 minutes it disconnected. The graphic is very good. I hope that the server will be better the next days
  65. Mar 7, 2013
    I've played the game and it is, indeed, all I expected. I'm kind of lucky to have paid $15,00 in my country because, really, I don't see myself playing this game for long.

Of the last 3 days, I've played over 24 hours but I've lost cities, lost 10 hours of game out of nowhere and, the worse, you never know if it will sinc up your data. They are taking the servers down without telling the players so they can "save" their progress...

This always-online DRM, I really think they could have made a simple single-player 1 city map, perhaps even a bigger map, for the sake of avoiding this catastrophic launch... It's a good game, but the false promises of stability of their DRM really makes me give them a round ZERO.
  66. Mar 7, 2013
    I bought the game because, even though I got screwed by Diablo 3, I figured I'd give EA one chance.

So far, they have blown it--the game is unplayable. It gets two stars because the time I have been able to play it, it has been very fun. I will adjust my score if I can get one week without problems, but in the meantime, the low score will serve as a message to EA that they NEED to get their act together. This is unacceptable and bordering on fraud.
  67. Mar 7, 2013
    On day one I was one of the lucky ones who got it and played for several hours straight and loved every second. On that first day I gave this game a score of 9. That joy however was sadly short lived, and I too have been forced to reevaluate the game because the shortcomings at the moment are substantial enough to merit a score that encourages people not to buy, for now. I have not beenOn day one I was one of the lucky ones who got it and played for several hours straight and loved every second. On that first day I gave this game a score of 9. That joy however was sadly short lived, and I too have been forced to reevaluate the game because the shortcomings at the moment are substantial enough to merit a score that encourages people not to buy, for now. I have not been able to play the game for two nights in a row. I understand the game's need for a persistent internet connection, for global economy and for playing with friends, but the fact that they have not foreseen the level of demand for what is unquestionably one of gaming's best known and best loved franchises is unforgivable. As to the game itself, i dont worry about city size limits because I take a whole region to myself with up to 16 cities and make it invite only and dont invite anyone. This provides for a huge game. There really is very little wrong with the game... when you can play it. Expand
  68. Mar 7, 2013
    Attempting to play Sim City is a pointless waste of time. I wonder if EA is purposely trying to kill PC games by causing such an overwhelmingly poor experience. Sim City was looking like a sure fire hit, with excellent graphics and an enjoyable immersive world to create in. However it has become an absolute shambles which seems so unimaginably inept as to make me think it had to be intentional.
  69. Mar 7, 2013
    Any game I can't play after paying money for it gets a zero. EA has seen the last of my money. No one should support always-online DRM. Its unfortunate EA had to do this to one of the most beloved games from my childhood. First Diablo 3 and now this.

Additionally, Origin sucks. I avoided it like the plague until SimCity came out and then I was forced to use it. No one likes you, EA. If I could wish bankruptcy on any company, it would probably be them.
  70. Mar 7, 2013
    Sooner EA goes bust the better... EA represent everything wrong with the game industry. Guess what EA it is too late.... even if you do patch out the awful DRM
  71. Mar 7, 2013
    There's a hint, a glimmer of a good game running under the hood, but it's plagued by terrible decisions. Let's get the DRM discussion out of the way: the always-online DRM requirement punishes paying customers while providing a mere speed bump to pirates. It's a poor idea and should be abandoned. Moving on.

My biggest gripe with the game is the absolutely tiny size of the cities.

My biggest gripe with the game is the absolutely tiny size of the cities. To be honest, it reminds me of a span of 12 blocks in Manhattan from one subway point to the next. You fill up your allotted town space within a couple hours, and then every town ends up looking like a Borg cube. I understand they're trying to push region play with cities interacting with each other, but the cities (towns, really) look very artificial. There's no organic life to them like in prior SimCity games or even more recent independent entries in city simulation like CitiesXL (for all its warts).

The game is fun for a little while, but ultimately leaves one wanting and is depressing because it's a testament to what could have been.
  72. Mar 7, 2013
    Unplayable: always-on-DRM ruins a promising game. I would recommend to wait for EA/Origin to remove their broken DRM system; it only hurts paying customers.
  73. Mar 7, 2013
    What can I say EA Strikes again. They seem to like to repeat poor and bad ideas from the past. They tried DRM with Spore and other games and every time and having to be tethered to the a single server for a Single Player game fails! They have ruined this game and everything it could have been with their delivery of the service to the consumer. Personally I avoid EA like the plague theseWhat can I say EA Strikes again. They seem to like to repeat poor and bad ideas from the past. They tried DRM with Spore and other games and every time and having to be tethered to the a single server for a Single Player game fails! They have ruined this game and everything it could have been with their delivery of the service to the consumer. Personally I avoid EA like the plague these days and only by PC Games through Steam. The company is a dinosaur and is fast becoming the Microsoft of gaming. Expand
  74. Mar 7, 2013
    Lets see.
    Require Always online meaning if the server were to go down while you are still playing and kept on playing for few hours without reconnecting to the server, then you would lose any progress after that point as it happened to me. Unable to authenticate with the server but if you were lucky to pass that then..
    Unable to load the tutorial.. but if you pass that then.. Unable to
    Lets see.
    Unable to load the tutorial.. but if you pass that then..
    Unable to create game. lol..but if you were to create a game Then you would just disconnect and start over again..
    U
  75. Mar 7, 2013
    Always on DRM. No Terraforming. Small cities. Very disappointing, why get the basics so wrong on such an anticipated game. Refund please. Thanks...
  76. Mar 7, 2013
    Total failure from EA to launch a finished product. The city grid sizes are completely too small. They are able to be filled in under an hour of play time. The DRM prevents this game from standing on its own... yet, it's a single player game. Nonsense, really. Forced regional dependencies result in really rough game play when your neighbor doesn't know what he is doing or decides toTotal failure from EA to launch a finished product. The city grid sizes are completely too small. They are able to be filled in under an hour of play time. The DRM prevents this game from standing on its own... yet, it's a single player game. Nonsense, really. Forced regional dependencies result in really rough game play when your neighbor doesn't know what he is doing or decides to play once, then never come back. Expand
  77. Mar 7, 2013
    If your looking to play a sim town game that you can rarely play because of server issues, cannot save, and crashes regularly then you are in luck. Otherwise, stay away. How does EA stay in business producing this stuff? We all must just be sheep to them.
  78. Mar 7, 2013
    When you purchase a game, you should be able to play it when it is released. If a game cannot be made available to the customers, the game should not be released. Ive tried for hours to get in, to no avail. Always online DRM needs to go the way of the dodo. Such a shame
  79. Mar 7, 2013
    I am used to bad launches. However, there doesn't seem to be a single server that is working. Not being able to play a game I just payed for is the worst kind of launch. EA I want my money back.
  80. Mar 7, 2013
    I pre-ordered Digital Deluxe Edition on Origin way back in January.
    I never received any of the keys for any of the betas from EA.
    The game is still unavailable (not yet released) to me although it should have unlocked 16 hrs ago. I also fear when it does become available it will not be working, it will be crashing, there will be server errors, as well as progress lost. Why else would
    I pre-ordered Digital Deluxe Edition on Origin way back in January.
    I never received any of the keys for any of the betas from EA.
    I also fear when it does become available it will not be working, it will be crashing, there will be server errors, as well as progress lost. Why else would they hold off unlocking it. To me as their premium customer?
    The review is not based solely on my frustration about release but also on bad experience of playing the Beta for which I got the key through another Amazon pre-order.
  81. Mar 7, 2013
    Pretty sure any review of this game that is "positive" is written by someone who works for EA. How can you possibly say "the game itself is great" when you can't actually get into the game from a public server? It doesn't matter to me how slick the presentation is on the private servers they give to employees and game reviewers.

I predict Maxis doesn't fix the server issue and gives

I predict Maxis doesn't fix the server issue and gives up, leaving us with $60 coaster/DVDs for a game we never got to play. I have learned my lesson on buying "online" games.
  82. Mar 7, 2013
    For once there is a broken record that I enjoy listening to. I never knew i could get so much enjoyment out of reading terrible reviews. EA embarrassed themselves big time on this one. I mean WTF. Are they seriously keeping people from just installing this thing and playing with no worries? Is your internet up? Do the servers have room? Did you city even save? I was one of the "lucky"For once there is a broken record that I enjoy listening to. I never knew i could get so much enjoyment out of reading terrible reviews. EA embarrassed themselves big time on this one. I mean WTF. Are they seriously keeping people from just installing this thing and playing with no worries? Is your internet up? Do the servers have room? Did you city even save? I was one of the "lucky" people that played for a few hours. It was enjoyable, I searched for a way to expand my city for about 20 mins thinking, "this can't be the full size"... "there has to be a way that you can buy more space with your Simoleons. Nope. Thats it. All the land you get. So you have to start demolishing entire blocks to deal with the never ending need for more fire stantions and water treatment plants. I had 6 fire stations (mostly upgraded) on that little plot of land and they were still complaining at me. I won't even go into the lack of subways and pipe laying.. heh heh. All puns aside, this was a pretty big disappointment..... Not even to mention I CANT EVEN PLAY NOW!! EA.. you s**k. Youre a greedy corporation that wants to rob gamers of the exact reason you are in business. I will happily seek a pirated version of this and wont be spending anymore money on your products. I would say I am going to seek a refund, but we all know that won't happen. I will just delete my account and wait for somebody to upload an offline, and more importantly, playable version. Maxis, you should have known better. I mean come on. To develop such a devoted following and in one fell swoop piss 99% of them off. Bravo btw, I don't know if that has been done with such a blaze of glory. RIP Simcity, you will be missed. Expand
  83. Mar 7, 2013
    A step too far.
    I bought this single player game, loaded up my disc, installed the game and went to play. That was the best part of the experience. It was all downhill from there.....
    The servers were down and when up you have to wait in a queue to actually get into the game. So as of yet I have not actually played the game I paid £40 for. Right now it is a dead paper weight. What
    A step too far.
    What annoys me is not that EA seem overly obsessed with copy protection but that they have created a game that should be a single player game just like all the previous games. You should not have to login to a server to be able to play it. There are so many other ways of doing it that the fact they went in the direction they did cannot be defended. I hope reviewers slam the game based upon that because it isn't needed or wanted. You should get a simple code that you enter into Origin to register your game to your account and then do what you want, play offline if you want. Going this route is a step to far and is nothing more then wanting to spy on you and control what you do. It is more like a facebook system then a computer game. EA messed this one up badly.
  84. Mar 7, 2013
    EA just destroyed its reputation for the sake of their DRM by making this abhorrent excuse of a game The SimCity franchise has been completely dismantled servers are never up, games are booted, can't save your progress and if you manage to start your game again you have to start from the beginning ...
    absolutely disappointing
  85. Mar 7, 2013
    Poor Customer Service. Poor design. Poor execution. This one is entirely on EA. NOT WORTH BUYING. WILL NOT ISSUE REFUND. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS ATROCIOUS.

SINGLE PLAYER GAMES SHOULD NOT REQUIRE ALWAYS ON INTERNET CONNECTION!!!
  86. Mar 7, 2013
    The game is crippled by always-on DRM. How is it acceptable to wait in a queue to play single player? The plot sizes are reduced and the town relations happen on their own. Stay away from this game,
  87. Mar 7, 2013
    can't get into my OWN game, can't play, can't save my progress has be deleted twice and i've been required to go through the tutorial twice. what a shame shame but knowing who developed the game i can't say i'm suprised EA would drop the ball on something like this...what a shame
  88. Mar 8, 2013
    I waited some days with the review, to give Maxis a chance to go over the launch day issues. However, 3 days after launch and I'm still unable to connect to the servers shows a clear fail in the design development or the game.
    Update 4 days after launch: I was able to play today, so up my rating to 3 points. The game appears great, but all the region benefits are switched off to reduce load on the servers. However, the region interaction was the main justification of the tiny maps, so right now we have tiny maps and a dysfunctional region (so the worst of both world: all cities must be universal and self-sustained, but don't have the size to achieve this goal)
  89. Mar 7, 2013
    Not really much good to say about a game that doesn't even work 75% of the time.
    I loved the previous instalments of the series so had high hopes for this one, but sadly no cigar. Why the hell did they make this traditional single player game with a on-line requirement, that is not only a authentication server connection but an actual game server connection where the server capacity is clearly not enough to feed the demand, my first ever attempt to play was on the 7th EU launch day, and first try entry got in and the game told me i had timed out and told me to log back in. 2nd try the same server was suddenly full with a 19min queue, even though it shows green and not full in the list.

3rd attempt to play resulted in yet another time out due to the 15minute queue hurray!
    When I finally got to play the game it crashed in 20 min or so and back to the god damn queue.

So my first thought on this new Sim City is a big WTF?!? where you smoking Maxis?

Shame that so many critics based there review solely on the EA press version they got to play without the thousands of real players crammed on to the few servers. Would love to see the reviews if 90% of them would spend 30min or more in a queue to play for the review, and then have the game crash on them in 20min 3 hours repeatedly.

I can already hear the lawyers over the pond getting ready to process the class-action lawsuit that this embarrassing excuse of a game will likely produce in true Americana style. Maybe we EU citizen should also put our class-action lawsuit powers in to good use here
  90. Mar 7, 2013
    Not sure how any professional review can give this game a 10/10. Reviews should be taking game features into account, and considering the biggest feature of SimCity is it's Online mode, a 10 is laughable. So all of those 10s you see are coming from bad journalists who aren't doing their jobs correctly., just so you know because the game is good, but doesn't work. Quite honestly, SimCityNot sure how any professional review can give this game a 10/10. Reviews should be taking game features into account, and considering the biggest feature of SimCity is it's Online mode, a 10 is laughable. So all of those 10s you see are coming from bad journalists who aren't doing their jobs correctly., just so you know because the game is good, but doesn't work. Quite honestly, SimCity could be the greatest game of all time, but you'd never know it unless you are lucky enough to get past the gauntlet of problems caused by poor development decisions. I'd stay far away from this game until they do an overhaul on the system. Expand
  91. Mar 7, 2013
    I cannot play the game due to server issues for 3 days. I want a refund, but EA says that is not an option. How can you give a good rating to a game that is not playable? DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!
  92. Mar 7, 2013
    Not only should you not buy this game (it flat out does not work), you should also discredit any Review Site that gives this game a passing grade.
    It is a failure.
  93. Mar 7, 2013
    The first thing about a game that every single one of them needs is for it to work, this does not its inexcusable, how can they spend all this time developing a game and then for it not to work, did they not expect for more than 5 people to play it a one time or something, worst thing is though EA wouldn't refund me saying its not in their policy, i stuck with EA through Mass Effect butThe first thing about a game that every single one of them needs is for it to work, this does not its inexcusable, how can they spend all this time developing a game and then for it not to work, did they not expect for more than 5 people to play it a one time or something, worst thing is though EA wouldn't refund me saying its not in their policy, i stuck with EA through Mass Effect but this stupid DRM thing for a single player game is ridiculous, when will you listen to anything anyone says i am fed up with it and i seriously hope you rethink your entire business strategy or just leave the video game market which you've already left in tatters, i would not care if North Korea went through with its threats and nuked EA, in fact i would be overjoyed at the prospect of it, so Kim Jong Un if you somehow can read this nuke EA into the stone age for the good of the world please. Expand
  94. Mar 7, 2013
    Have not been able to play due to the always on DRM do not buy this game as it is broken. Even with it being broken EA will not give me a refund I repeat do not buy this game.
  95. Mar 7, 2013
    I wish I could rate this game lower than zero. EA has acted dishonestly. I will never pay for an EA product again. Please join the boycott. These people don't need any more of your money.
  96. Mar 7, 2013
    The game is an utter disaster. Treating paying customers like vile criminals with absolutely draconian DRM that does not work. I've had only played it for 3 Hrs when it crashed saying I NEEDED to be connected to the internet to play on my own. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. You will be thrown into the vast abyss of people who can't play the the THEY BOUGHT AND PAYED FOR. A disgrace to gaming and aThe game is an utter disaster. Treating paying customers like vile criminals with absolutely draconian DRM that does not work. I've had only played it for 3 Hrs when it crashed saying I NEEDED to be connected to the internet to play on my own. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. You will be thrown into the vast abyss of people who can't play the the THEY BOUGHT AND PAYED FOR. A disgrace to gaming and a disgrace to a paying customer. Expand
  97. Mar 7, 2013
    Buying the game on origin was the worst online experience I've ever had Until I started up the game were all I have is a timer and the credits.
    Thanks alot EA.
  98. Mar 7, 2013
    Absolutely unacceptable and disgraceful launch from Origin. It's not so much that it's an always online game.... although that is also ridiculous... you should be able to play a single player game offline....I just can't deal with paying good money to waste my damn time waiting to load this bloody game. The issue had bloody well be temporary, It's a damn shame. unbloodyacceptable.
  99. Mar 7, 2013
    It has been quite some time since I bought a game (pre-order to be exact). I have so much expectation towards this game, the multi-player thing, the new graphic and etc. Yes, I was a little shocked that this game requires constant internet connection, but then It was the same with Diablo, so I wasn't so mad back then.
    When I finally installed the game and play, that's the time I AM MAD! I
    When I finally installed the game and play, that's the time I AM MAD! I AM NOT ALLOWED to play because the server is full? I am not allowed to play because some random bug delete my city or the save doesn't sync properly? I am paying for a game I couldn't play? Are you saying manage to go pass the client and go in game in 1/10 occasions consider playable?

This game is the joke of 2013 and an insult to the fans of the series! If they do not fix the server or provide offline play(and save and load), this game will always get a 0 score from me.
  100. Mar 7, 2013
    Lets be simple.
    What is the worth of an unplayable game? Zero.
    It doesn't matter even if the actual games is brilliant, because you could barely make it that far.

Given enough patches and DCLs, SimCity might eventually become the game that should have been on its release and justify the ambiguous choices that its developers made. [May 2013]
  2. May 9, 2013
    Hints at great things but is limited by small cities and promises it can't deliver on. [June 2013, p.80]
  3. May 9, 2013
    There's more problems with this game than I have words. Looks great though. [June 2013, p.80]