SimCity PC

2.2

1. Mar 7, 2013
    The game is not bad, but the server has a lot of problems. I played a few hours and every 5 minutes it disconnected. The graphic is very good. I hope that the server will be better the next days
  2. Mar 7, 2013
    I've played the game and it is, indeed, all I expected. I'm kind of lucky to have paid $15,00 in my country because, really, I don't see myself playing this game for long.

Of the last 3 days, I've played over 24 hours but I've lost cities, lost 10 hours of game out of nowhere and, the worse, you never know if it will sinc up your data. They are taking the servers down without telling the players so they can "save" their progress...

This always-online DRM, I really think they could have made a simple single-player 1 city map, perhaps even a bigger map, for the sake of avoiding this catastrophic launch... It's a good game, but the false promises of stability of their DRM really makes me give them a round ZERO.
  3. Mar 7, 2013
    Attempting to play Sim City is a pointless waste of time. I wonder if EA is purposely trying to kill PC games by causing such an overwhelmingly poor experience. Sim City was looking like a sure fire hit, with excellent graphics and an enjoyable immersive world to create in. However it has become an absolute shambles which seems so unimaginably inept as to make me think it had to be intentional.
  4. Mar 7, 2013
    Any game I can't play after paying money for it gets a zero. EA has seen the last of my money. No one should support always-online DRM. Its unfortunate EA had to do this to one of the most beloved games from my childhood. First Diablo 3 and now this.

Additionally, Origin sucks. I avoided it like the plague until SimCity came out and then I was forced to use it. No one likes you, EA. If I could wish bankruptcy on any company, it would probably be them.
  5. Mar 7, 2013
    There's a hint, a glimmer of a good game running under the hood, but it's plagued by terrible decisions. Let's get the DRM discussion out of the way: the always-online DRM requirement punishes paying customers while providing a mere speed bump to pirates. It's a poor idea and should be abandoned. Moving on.

My biggest gripe with the game is the absolutely tiny size of the cities.

My biggest gripe with the game is the absolutely tiny size of the cities. To be honest, it reminds me of a span of 12 blocks in Manhattan from one subway point to the next. You fill up your allotted town space within a couple hours, and then every town ends up looking like a Borg cube. I understand they're trying to push region play with cities interacting with each other, but the cities (towns, really) look very artificial. There's no organic life to them like in prior SimCity games or even more recent independent entries in city simulation like CitiesXL (for all its warts).

The game is fun for a little while, but ultimately leaves one wanting and is depressing because it's a testament to what could have been.
  6. Mar 7, 2013
    Sooner EA goes bust the better... EA represent everything wrong with the game industry. Guess what EA it is too late.... even if you do patch out the awful DRM
  7. Mar 7, 2013
    Lets see.
    Require Always online meaning if the server were to go down while you are still playing and kept on playing for few hours without reconnecting to the server, then you would lose any progress after that point as it happened to me. Unable to authenticate with the server but if you were lucky to pass that then..
    Unable to load the tutorial.. but if you pass that then.. Unable to
    Lets see.
    Unable to load the tutorial.. but if you pass that then..
    Unable to create game. lol..but if you were to create a game Then you would just disconnect and start over again..
    U
  8. Mar 7, 2013
    Unplayable: always-on-DRM ruins a promising game. I would recommend to wait for EA/Origin to remove their broken DRM system; it only hurts paying customers.
  9. Mar 7, 2013
    Total failure from EA to launch a finished product. The city grid sizes are completely too small. They are able to be filled in under an hour of play time. The DRM prevents this game from standing on its own... yet, it's a single player game. Nonsense, really. Forced regional dependencies result in really rough game play when your neighbor doesn't know what he is doing or decides toTotal failure from EA to launch a finished product. The city grid sizes are completely too small. They are able to be filled in under an hour of play time. The DRM prevents this game from standing on its own... yet, it's a single player game. Nonsense, really. Forced regional dependencies result in really rough game play when your neighbor doesn't know what he is doing or decides to play once, then never come back. Expand
  10. Mar 7, 2013
    If your looking to play a sim town game that you can rarely play because of server issues, cannot save, and crashes regularly then you are in luck. Otherwise, stay away. How does EA stay in business producing this stuff? We all must just be sheep to them.
  11. Mar 7, 2013
    When you purchase a game, you should be able to play it when it is released. If a game cannot be made available to the customers, the game should not be released. Ive tried for hours to get in, to no avail. Always online DRM needs to go the way of the dodo. Such a shame
  12. Mar 7, 2013
    I am used to bad launches. However, there doesn't seem to be a single server that is working. Not being able to play a game I just payed for is the worst kind of launch. EA I want my money back.
  13. Mar 7, 2013
    I pre-ordered Digital Deluxe Edition on Origin way back in January.
    I never received any of the keys for any of the betas from EA.
    The game is still unavailable (not yet released) to me although it should have unlocked 16 hrs ago. I also fear when it does become available it will not be working, it will be crashing, there will be server errors, as well as progress lost. Why else would
    I pre-ordered Digital Deluxe Edition on Origin way back in January.
    I never received any of the keys for any of the betas from EA.
    I also fear when it does become available it will not be working, it will be crashing, there will be server errors, as well as progress lost. Why else would they hold off unlocking it. To me as their premium customer?
    The review is not based solely on my frustration about release but also on bad experience of playing the Beta for which I got the key through another Amazon pre-order.
  14. Mar 7, 2013
    For once there is a broken record that I enjoy listening to. I never knew i could get so much enjoyment out of reading terrible reviews. EA embarrassed themselves big time on this one. I mean WTF. Are they seriously keeping people from just installing this thing and playing with no worries? Is your internet up? Do the servers have room? Did you city even save? I was one of the "lucky"For once there is a broken record that I enjoy listening to. I never knew i could get so much enjoyment out of reading terrible reviews. EA embarrassed themselves big time on this one. I mean WTF. Are they seriously keeping people from just installing this thing and playing with no worries? Is your internet up? Do the servers have room? Did you city even save? I was one of the "lucky" people that played for a few hours. It was enjoyable, I searched for a way to expand my city for about 20 mins thinking, "this can't be the full size"... "there has to be a way that you can buy more space with your Simoleons. Nope. Thats it. All the land you get. So you have to start demolishing entire blocks to deal with the never ending need for more fire stantions and water treatment plants. I had 6 fire stations (mostly upgraded) on that little plot of land and they were still complaining at me. I won't even go into the lack of subways and pipe laying.. heh heh. All puns aside, this was a pretty big disappointment..... Not even to mention I CANT EVEN PLAY NOW!! EA.. you s**k. Youre a greedy corporation that wants to rob gamers of the exact reason you are in business. I will happily seek a pirated version of this and wont be spending anymore money on your products. I would say I am going to seek a refund, but we all know that won't happen. I will just delete my account and wait for somebody to upload an offline, and more importantly, playable version. Maxis, you should have known better. I mean come on. To develop such a devoted following and in one fell swoop piss 99% of them off. Bravo btw, I don't know if that has been done with such a blaze of glory. RIP Simcity, you will be missed. Expand
  15. Mar 7, 2013
    Poor Customer Service. Poor design. Poor execution. This one is entirely on EA. NOT WORTH BUYING. WILL NOT ISSUE REFUND. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS ATROCIOUS.

SINGLE PLAYER GAMES SHOULD NOT REQUIRE ALWAYS ON INTERNET CONNECTION!!!
  16. Mar 7, 2013
    A step too far.
    I bought this single player game, loaded up my disc, installed the game and went to play. That was the best part of the experience. It was all downhill from there.....
    The servers were down and when up you have to wait in a queue to actually get into the game. So as of yet I have not actually played the game I paid £40 for. Right now it is a dead paper weight. What
    A step too far.
    What annoys me is not that EA seem overly obsessed with copy protection but that they have created a game that should be a single player game just like all the previous games. You should not have to login to a server to be able to play it. There are so many other ways of doing it that the fact they went in the direction they did cannot be defended. I hope reviewers slam the game based upon that because it isn't needed or wanted. You should get a simple code that you enter into Origin to register your game to your account and then do what you want, play offline if you want. Going this route is a step to far and is nothing more then wanting to spy on you and control what you do. It is more like a facebook system then a computer game. EA messed this one up badly.
  17. Mar 7, 2013
    EA just destroyed its reputation for the sake of their DRM by making this abhorrent excuse of a game The SimCity franchise has been completely dismantled servers are never up, games are booted, can't save your progress and if you manage to start your game again you have to start from the beginning ...
    absolutely disappointing
  18. Mar 7, 2013
    The forced drm makes this one good game that it would probably be best to pass up. I can't understand how EA believed you could make a single player game online only.
  19. Mar 7, 2013
    Not sure how any professional review can give this game a 10/10. Reviews should be taking game features into account, and considering the biggest feature of SimCity is it's Online mode, a 10 is laughable. So all of those 10s you see are coming from bad journalists who aren't doing their jobs correctly., just so you know because the game is good, but doesn't work. Quite honestly, SimCityNot sure how any professional review can give this game a 10/10. Reviews should be taking game features into account, and considering the biggest feature of SimCity is it's Online mode, a 10 is laughable. So all of those 10s you see are coming from bad journalists who aren't doing their jobs correctly., just so you know because the game is good, but doesn't work. Quite honestly, SimCity could be the greatest game of all time, but you'd never know it unless you are lucky enough to get past the gauntlet of problems caused by poor development decisions. I'd stay far away from this game until they do an overhaul on the system. Expand
  20. Mar 7, 2013
    Not only should you not buy this game (it flat out does not work), you should also discredit any Review Site that gives this game a passing grade.
    It is a failure.
  21. Mar 7, 2013
    The first thing about a game that every single one of them needs is for it to work, this does not its inexcusable, how can they spend all this time developing a game and then for it not to work, did they not expect for more than 5 people to play it a one time or something, worst thing is though EA wouldn't refund me saying its not in their policy, i stuck with EA through Mass Effect butThe first thing about a game that every single one of them needs is for it to work, this does not its inexcusable, how can they spend all this time developing a game and then for it not to work, did they not expect for more than 5 people to play it a one time or something, worst thing is though EA wouldn't refund me saying its not in their policy, i stuck with EA through Mass Effect but this stupid DRM thing for a single player game is ridiculous, when will you listen to anything anyone says i am fed up with it and i seriously hope you rethink your entire business strategy or just leave the video game market which you've already left in tatters, i would not care if North Korea went through with its threats and nuked EA, in fact i would be overjoyed at the prospect of it, so Kim Jong Un if you somehow can read this nuke EA into the stone age for the good of the world please. Expand
  22. Mar 7, 2013
    Have not been able to play due to the always on DRM do not buy this game as it is broken. Even with it being broken EA will not give me a refund I repeat do not buy this game.
  23. Mar 7, 2013
    The game is an utter disaster. Treating paying customers like vile criminals with absolutely draconian DRM that does not work. I've had only played it for 3 Hrs when it crashed saying I NEEDED to be connected to the internet to play on my own. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. You will be thrown into the vast abyss of people who can't play the the THEY BOUGHT AND PAYED FOR. A disgrace to gaming and aThe game is an utter disaster. Treating paying customers like vile criminals with absolutely draconian DRM that does not work. I've had only played it for 3 Hrs when it crashed saying I NEEDED to be connected to the internet to play on my own. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. You will be thrown into the vast abyss of people who can't play the the THEY BOUGHT AND PAYED FOR. A disgrace to gaming and a disgrace to a paying customer. Expand
  24. Mar 7, 2013
    I wish I could rate this game lower than zero. EA has acted dishonestly. I will never pay for an EA product again. Please join the boycott. These people don't need any more of your money.
  25. Mar 7, 2013
    Absolutely unacceptable and disgraceful launch from Origin. It's not so much that it's an always online game.... although that is also ridiculous... you should be able to play a single player game offline....I just can't deal with paying good money to waste my damn time waiting to load this bloody game. The issue had bloody well be temporary, It's a damn shame. unbloodyacceptable.
  26. Mar 7, 2013
    I created a metacritic account just because of this game.
    Online connection required to play at all times. WTF I have one. WHY doesn't this play? I purchased this for $86.49 with all the bells and whistles, I should have just gotten a hand
    I created a metacritic account just because of this game.
    job from the illegal on the corner. I guess I have to spend hours trolling thru EA forums looking for someone saying "we are aware of the bull**** and are working hard to fix it" A game to be played by people to manage a city and EA can't even manage a release?
    26 awards this thing received for what making more money than a ponzi scheme...
    Get Bernie back he'll get this going!! GET ME MY MONEY BACK!

EA you trash producing hack company! and Maxis you made a deal with the devil.
    Anyone who thinks this game is good I sell you my unplayable copy sounds like a sweet deal to me.
  27. Mar 7, 2013
    Lets be simple.
    What is the worth of an unplayable game? Zero.
    It doesn't matter even if the actual games is brilliant, because you could barely make it that far.
  28. Mar 8, 2013
    To EA staff reading this, it is completely fair for us to judge your games for the first 15 minutes, and since I haven't been able to log in for 2 whole days now, I think it's fair to say I've had enough!

I've been a game designer for 20+ years and this is why games my studio creates doesn't require an "always on connection". In fact, I'd fire the person who even suggests it at my studio.

Games are supposed to be low barrier to entry, all users want, is to play the game straight after installation.
  29. Mar 7, 2013
    Single player game that requires an internet connection and the installation of clunky EA software Origin to run. I'll pass on that alone, but the core game play is also a step backwards in terms of tiny cities, autosave which means no experimenting and then loading. According to the many reports it is also very buggy right now (release time).
    Back to the whole always on-line DRM thing.
    Back to the whole always on-line DRM thing.
    1. no playing on your laptop where you have crappy or no internet.
    2. Your game stops working when EA stops running the servers
    3. Your game doesn't work well right now- EA is having trouble with their servers.

There are many other reasons DRM is bad just read the comments here. I played and enjoyed the older versions of sim city. It is sad that this game is so crippled.
  30. Mar 7, 2013
    No one should ever support draconian DRM like EA has imposed here. In fact the current server issues they are having is proof why such DRM is fail. Overall I say please vote with your wallet.
  31. Mar 7, 2013
    I still play SC4, and pre-ordered this piece of crap. Graphics and game play are like a retarded Facebook game. Everything has been detailed down in game so EA can sell you add-ons later and rape you even more on a 80 dollar game. City size are tiny, maybe a tenth of what they were in SC4, no subways, interstates are already on the map and in horrible places, no way to control taxes onI still play SC4, and pre-ordered this piece of crap. Graphics and game play are like a retarded Facebook game. Everything has been detailed down in game so EA can sell you add-ons later and rape you even more on a 80 dollar game. City size are tiny, maybe a tenth of what they were in SC4, no subways, interstates are already on the map and in horrible places, no way to control taxes on things to prevent air pollution (for people to use mass transit) no way to build entertainment buildings or special buildings, only parks. OH and did I mention the graphics suck big time. Not what you would expect for a 2013 game release. Farmville quality stuff here. IM running dual 680GTX cards in my desktop and it looks the same as my 2003 dell inspiron 8500 with a on board POS graphics card. I retuned it so one less person on there servers. Expand
  32. Mar 7, 2013
    I have always been a huge sim city fan but the always on internet ruined it for me whoever at ea thought it was a good idea in a single player game should be fired.avoid like the plague
  33. Mar 7, 2013
    Review based on gameplay with a friend who purchased (and returned) his copy.

Review based on gameplay with a friend who purchased (and returned) his copy.

I would happily buy this game if I could play it offline and save my own cities, on my own computer, on my own schedule. But right now, the only option is to pay cash up front to RENT access to a game that might or might not be playable, depending on the whims of the internet and the servers. Personally I don't have free time to sit around waiting, especially when a server glitches out and eats my city. If you don't mind paying to entrust your cities to the EA servers, then more power to you. As for me, I'll pass on Rent-A-City 5 and go back to my old copy of the awesome SimCity 4.
  34. Mar 7, 2013
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME RIGHT NOW!. There are far too many issues to justify spending any money until they get this mess figured out. I cannot speak to the actual game play as I continue to wait to connect to servers. I have owned this game for three days and have not been able to log on yet
  35. Mar 7, 2013
    Whats the most important aspect of any game? BEING ABLE TO F*****G PLAY IT!
    Whats the most important aspect of any game? BEING ABLE TO F*****G PLAY IT!
    I paid 600 SWEDISH CROWNS (THAT'S 93.83$ SRSLY) for this game, it took hours to get on, then i get disconnected, i get on, i try the game for a while, i get disconnected, save corrupted, if you're on a dodgy WiFi your session will disconnect, if EA servers act up, your save will get corrupted, the game itself seems fairly alright but it has been UNPLAYABLE since release date, also to play this game you need Origin, Origin is spyware; google it. I would not recommend this game to anyone and i will claim a refund, you should do the same thing.
  36. Mar 7, 2013
    I "played" this game for about 2 hours. The first 15 minutes or so were spent updating the game I had just purchased the day prior. The next 15 minutes were spent appeasing Sims in the tutorial. The next hour plus was spent being denied access to a single player game because of server issues. Sim City is just about as fun as waiting in traffic in order to pay a toll, except tolls actuallyI "played" this game for about 2 hours. The first 15 minutes or so were spent updating the game I had just purchased the day prior. The next 15 minutes were spent appeasing Sims in the tutorial. The next hour plus was spent being denied access to a single player game because of server issues. Sim City is just about as fun as waiting in traffic in order to pay a toll, except tolls actually pay for upkeep of the road or bridge you're driving on. Paying for Sim City rewards for EA for screwing their customers.

I wish I could pirate this game just to stick it to EA, which is ironic because I hate EA mostly because of the they do to thwart pirates.
  37. Mar 7, 2013
    Unable to play days after release means a 0 score. No business is allowed to get away with this kind of service and neither should EA. I feel bad for the team at Maxis but unfortunately we're past the age where a design team can be easily separated from the distribution team. Shame on everyone.
  38. Mar 7, 2013
    This game got a 79 review??? Wow, I wonder how many BJ's the EA execs had to give to these reviewers to get that high a score. All of the critics who gave this game such a high review should be embarrassed for their reviews. Its time EA is put out of its misery. Everyone who is unhappy with the game should request a refund. I purchased a download version of the game from Amazon and I wasThis game got a 79 review??? Wow, I wonder how many BJ's the EA execs had to give to these reviewers to get that high a score. All of the critics who gave this game such a high review should be embarrassed for their reviews. Its time EA is put out of its misery. Everyone who is unhappy with the game should request a refund. I purchased a download version of the game from Amazon and I was able to get a refund from them. I've also heard of people even getting refunds from EA so don't just give up on the money you paid for the game. Expand
  39. Mar 7, 2013
    so who are these people making these games for exactly? Because it surely not me. i waited in line for an hour for this "crap". Online only? Really? i have yet to get any real game time in because of this "online only bs". did these people ever take into consideration that i may not want to play with little Billy? These new game dev's are missing in the brain if they think gaming isso who are these people making these games for exactly? Because it surely not me. i waited in line for an hour for this "crap". Online only? Really? i have yet to get any real game time in because of this "online only bs". did these people ever take into consideration that i may not want to play with little Billy? These new game dev's are missing in the brain if they think gaming is about what they think is awesum. its about "US", the gamers since atari, the paying customer. Learn to read reviews, and make games based on what "we" want, because it is us that pay for the crap. Expand
  40. Mar 7, 2013
    SimCity is a game, and a service rolled into one. I pre-ordered and paid for the game in March of 2012 because I believed that Maxis and EA could deliver an excellent experience. Since SimCity went live on Tuesday, I have managed to spend less than 2 hours playing. I was kicked off server around 1240pm Tuesday March 5th and have not been able to log in since. All I see are busy servers,SimCity is a game, and a service rolled into one. I pre-ordered and paid for the game in March of 2012 because I believed that Maxis and EA could deliver an excellent experience. Since SimCity went live on Tuesday, I have managed to spend less than 2 hours playing. I was kicked off server around 1240pm Tuesday March 5th and have not been able to log in since. All I see are busy servers, queues which aren't queues and little information from Maxis or EA. SimCity is supposed to be an experience, and right now, the experience is pure frustration. The service part of SimCity rates a 0 out of 10 because it is simply non existent. There is no way of getting past this service to give a review of the game so I am forced to rate only the service part of SimCity. I wish I could be more generous but as I am unable to play at all, this is the review. Expand
  41. Mar 7, 2013
    I've come home from work every day this week hoping for some improvement with the connection problems yet all I encounter are more downtimes. I could get past all of that, but what I can't get past is that when I do manage to get connected my cities are not saved. When I go to resume game it says I'm not playing in any games... Oh but I am! I've started 3 or 4 cities now. ApparentlyI've come home from work every day this week hoping for some improvement with the connection problems yet all I encounter are more downtimes. I could get past all of that, but what I can't get past is that when I do manage to get connected my cities are not saved. When I go to resume game it says I'm not playing in any games... Oh but I am! I've started 3 or 4 cities now. Apparently the whole saving your progress thing isn't a part of the new Sim City. Expand
  42. Mar 7, 2013
    I am the player who only want to enjoy the game after work. Don't make the online game if EA does not effort it. I do like the new version, but I do hate try and wait to play. Can't enter the server at all!!!!
  43. Mar 7, 2013
    Haven't been able to play; I knew about the always-on DRM but thought it would only "call home" but ultimately be a local game, completely independent of whatever happens with EA's servers.

But no, seems I am tied to the reliability of the connection, their servers and the network cable not being chewed by a giant troll.

Even Steam allows me an offline mode. Please, EA?
  44. Mar 7, 2013
    What good is a game that you purchase when you cant even play it due to the requirement of online only and servers that dont work when you want to play the game. What ever happen to the days when you buy a game and can play it when you want, how you want with out restriction and being told you can not play what you payed for due to our servers not working or required servicing.
  45. Mar 8, 2013
    EA went so over the top to try and prevent pirating/used game sales that they completely destroyed what the game was intended to be, a great time sink when you do not have access to the internet or are traveling ect.. Not many fans of this type of game are going to play this instead of their staple games when they have the choice. Also not being able to save your city then completelyEA went so over the top to try and prevent pirating/used game sales that they completely destroyed what the game was intended to be, a great time sink when you do not have access to the internet or are traveling ect.. Not many fans of this type of game are going to play this instead of their staple games when they have the choice. Also not being able to save your city then completely destroy it through whatever hilarious methods the old sim citys provided just takes away one of the most entertaining aspects of the game.

My wife walked by when I was playing the beta and got all excited because she though I was playing a new version of "The Sims" that seems to be the target audience of this new game. It is so watered down from what it should have been its gross.

Anyone giving this game more than a 0 does not understand that us fans need to send a message to developers that this crap watered down DRM filled of a game is not acceptable and I will BOYCOTT all future EA games until they turn the company around.
  46. Mar 8, 2013
    The game is nice, but:
    -Why I can't play offline on my private regions?
    -Why cities are so small? -Why I can't edit the region by creating new ways of communication? Lack. -Why I can't dig holes or raise the ground to create such a subterranean avenue running through my city, as I often do with the 4? -Why is not there God-Mode??? SERIOUS LACK! -Why I can't save locally at any
    The game is nice, but:
    -Why I can't play offline on my private regions?
    -Why cities are so small?
    -Why I can't edit the region by creating new ways of communication? Lack.
    -Why is not there God-Mode??? SERIOUS LACK!
    -Why I can't save locally at any moment, under penalty of having to redo things when the server throws me out (often)?
    -Why there's not a list of games I have started on different servers?
    -WHY I CAN NOT PLAY IF NO SERVER HAS AUTHENTICATED ME???????
    I hope that Maxis get out soon the updates for fix this problems or lacks.
  47. Mar 8, 2013
    This is last game the EA i'll buy in my life, respect 0 with your customers..
    sincerely, i'm disappointed with EA and this game.

sorry for english.
  48. Mar 8, 2013
    DRM, CITY SIZES SMALLER THAN MY BALLS, SERVER ISSUES, SERVER WAIT, BUGS, DUM MULTIPLAYER MODE, okay and it is addicting i give you that and it looks a bit better than sc4. EA WTF!!!!!!!! AND ITS 60 BUCKS FOR THIS TRASH!!!! I BETTER GET COMPENSATED FOR THIS AFTER ITS ALL FIXED!!!
  49. Mar 8, 2013
    First of all, I have NEVER written a game review in my 36 years of gaming. I tried to put all the hate comments aside and bought it on day one. I actually played a few hours before my first disconnection. Since then, it has been nothing but frustration. Disconnects, lost data, game elements removed, and complete disappointment. The game itself is good, but all the issues that I haveFirst of all, I have NEVER written a game review in my 36 years of gaming. I tried to put all the hate comments aside and bought it on day one. I actually played a few hours before my first disconnection. Since then, it has been nothing but frustration. Disconnects, lost data, game elements removed, and complete disappointment. The game itself is good, but all the issues that I have experienced since purchasing have completely taken away any joy I have had. If you are going to purchase this game, wait until the issues are resolved as it is completely unplayable right now. Expand
  50. Mar 8, 2013
    You'll pay $60 or $80, the game will only function for about five minutes of every hour, and EA will refuse to refund your money. Do not buy. If functionality is this bad at launch, when EA is putting all their resources into supporting their draconian DRM, imagine how bad it will be in a year or two when EA no longer thinks it's a priority.
  51. Mar 8, 2013
    Ok so to start off I have registered on Metacritic just to warn people how bad of a game this is. Something I haven't done before...
    Sim City has a forced DRM something EVERYONE knew for a while now. This is bad to a stage where I haven't been able to run my game in 2 days. I got as far as claiming my city and playing 5 min past tutorial when server disconnected.
    I CANT LIVE WITH
    I CANT LIVE WITH THAT, early days are always hectic I o not approve of always on DRM and I even hate it but I will not mar Sim City low for that as I knew what I was getting into.

THE BAD PART is that this is not Sim City, game is dumbed down from the start and city squares are so TINY that this can't even be called Sim Town but merely a Sim Village.

If the game was called something along the lines of Sims 3 Societies I am sure people wouldn't mind as it would attract a different type of players but for the love of what's sacred to you PLEASE do not call it Sim City.

If not for the fact I actually have some decent games on Origin I would try selling my account just to give it away! Luckily for me I still own good old Sim City 4 Rush Hour on Steam so I am signing off and goin to build a new metropolis.

P.S: If Sim city 5 adds bigger city squares through a paid DLC we should consider adding a negative scores on Metacritic as this is a piss poor marketing policy...
  52. Mar 8, 2013
    I love the SimCity franchise, which is why this pains me so much. I owned the original SimCity, SimCity2000, SimCity4, and I think one other somewhere in the mix. This game is unworthy of the name. From tiny maps that are not even a fraction of the size of SimCity2000 and artificially scarce resources meant to push this "connective" social experience (meant to justify the always onlineI love the SimCity franchise, which is why this pains me so much. I owned the original SimCity, SimCity2000, SimCity4, and I think one other somewhere in the mix. This game is unworthy of the name. From tiny maps that are not even a fraction of the size of SimCity2000 and artificially scarce resources meant to push this "connective" social experience (meant to justify the always online DRM), the game is simply terrible. Gone are features like subways and pipe laying to make your town more efficient, and the ability to save games or go back to old saves... introduced are hours-long waits to connect to DRM servers, random city deletion from their servers, and excuse after excuse as to how the always-online feature would make the game better if you could play it.

It might merit a 1 on any other day, but EA/Origins is denying customers who bought directly a refund, if you purchased from Amazon or anywhere else, you're in luck, but if you bought the game directly from the maker... they want you to be far more patient with demanding a refund than they were with charging you for their non-functional product.

Between the abject failure of the game and the absolutely terrible customer service, my only regret is that I cannot give this game a negative score. Not only have I not enjoyed it, purchasing this game has caused considerable stress and frustration as I either waited to play or waited on the phone with my bank to get the chargeback. This experience has been so awful that not only would I not recommend purchasing this particular title, I would strongly urge readers to not purchase anything from EA ever again.
  53. Mar 9, 2013
    Pathetic. Refusal to refund money when they breach their end of the contract. Threatening people with bans if they argue about wanting their money back. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM EA or MAXIS. FORCED ONLINE DRM is ANTI-AMERICAN and ANTI-GAMER! do not buy or use this product. Wait until it is hacked and put up online then get it for free and play it at will on YOUR computer when YOU want to!
  54. Mar 8, 2013
    An absolutely awesome city building game, if only it didn't have so many ongoing issues. Purchased this product on release day and have dealt with nothing but freezes, failure to connect to server messages, never ending countdown timers, and disconnects. What's really starting to piss me off is when an available server is selected and it states my game is ready, but then it only loads asAn absolutely awesome city building game, if only it didn't have so many ongoing issues. Purchased this product on release day and have dealt with nothing but freezes, failure to connect to server messages, never ending countdown timers, and disconnects. What's really starting to piss me off is when an available server is selected and it states my game is ready, but then it only loads as far as the main menu where, you guess it disconnect. I swear EA thinks this game is like their other first-person shooters where all gamers have to do is just switch servers. Wrong! Some of us actually want to continue building our cities instead of constantly having to restart from the ground up. I've also lost two good sized cities due to server disconnects and many smaller ones that just disappeared into the cloud. I can't in good conscience recommend this game to anyone including my worst enemy. However, if you like not being able to play a game you rightfully paid for, enjoy slamming your head against a wall until unconscious. Expand
  55. Mar 9, 2013
    One of the worst games I've ever played. The DRM it's killing the game. You are forced to be online whenever you wanna play the game... WTF? The game has good ideas, but it's imposible to play because of the DRM. Epic Fail
  56. Mar 9, 2013
    We are a few days after launch and the same problems persist, altough slightly improved. EA and Maxis try to buy off the buyers opinion with an apology that came way too late and a freebie was promised. But they do not acknowledge the fact that the fault lies by the always online DRM. This not sit well with this hard working avid Gamer. Too litle too late. Save your money, don't buy EA
  57. Mar 9, 2013
    Long time user of MC, first time poster. Long time player of Maxis games(Simcity, earth, ant, copter, etc). I've had this game since March 5th when it came out. I installed it that day. I've attempted to just play the game since then without success. It is now March 9th at 5:45am. I have tried every server listed. All I get is "Unable to load the city at this time. Please try again."Long time user of MC, first time poster. Long time player of Maxis games(Simcity, earth, ant, copter, etc). I've had this game since March 5th when it came out. I installed it that day. I've attempted to just play the game since then without success. It is now March 9th at 5:45am. I have tried every server listed. All I get is "Unable to load the city at this time. Please try again." Origin shows that I've played this game for 36 hours. That is how long I have attempted to get in to play the game I've been waiting years to play. I have not played it once. I have no problem with online DRM but I do have a problem with using it when your infrastructure before, during, and after game launch clearly can not handle it. Very highly disappointed with Maxis and EA. I'm sure they are trying to fix things but this is just completely unacceptable. I will not be changing my user score, even once I get to play it. People need to know what they are buying(consumers) and what their inadequate infrastructure and operations is doing to their reputation and future sales(Maxis/EA). Expand
  58. Mar 9, 2013
    Why do i have to be always online, to play offline singleplayer? I would like to play when im on the road, at my grandparrents house or on vacation. Those places either don't have a internet connection, or a steady connection. Not just is the online forced on us! But it dosn't even work correctly, people can not login to play the game they purchased. And those few who can, end up gettingWhy do i have to be always online, to play offline singleplayer? I would like to play when im on the road, at my grandparrents house or on vacation. Those places either don't have a internet connection, or a steady connection. Not just is the online forced on us! But it dosn't even work correctly, people can not login to play the game they purchased. And those few who can, end up getting server issues, their cities are not saved etc..

Day 1 dlc also leaves a bad taste in my mouth, it's sad to see that things that where already finished and ready to be put in the game. Is now being sold the same day the game releases. To turn a even greater profit for EA. The game is mostly bare bones, with content needing to be purchased to fullfill the emptiness. This game is not worth the money, the wait or the troubles. I can not recommend it, and i myself have turned it back to EA. 0/10
  59. Mar 9, 2013
    when it says servers are available, they actually aren't, I've spent the better part of 3 hours trying to connect to available servers only for ea to say servers are not available, on at least 6 different ones, the game looks good, but i cant play it, its a waste of time now even attempting it, if i could get on to play, who knows, i'd probably enjoy it, but i guess even tho i bought thewhen it says servers are available, they actually aren't, I've spent the better part of 3 hours trying to connect to available servers only for ea to say servers are not available, on at least 6 different ones, the game looks good, but i cant play it, its a waste of time now even attempting it, if i could get on to play, who knows, i'd probably enjoy it, but i guess even tho i bought the game we shall never know if its any good, money thrown away buying this. Expand
  60. Mar 9, 2013
    Well what's left to say? EA doing it again and deserves the ****
    Every game EA touches becomes an fortunately i didn't buy this piece of ****.

It's over EA is finished
  61. Mar 9, 2013
    Is this a scam game?

My wife bought this game for me as a birthday present, but it does not work!

I can't get into game because there is some sort of queue. I can't turn off multiplayer, I just want to play single player! WHY I NEED TO WAIT?
  62. Mar 9, 2013
    I want my money back....
    This game is not worth the bit it takes to throw it around in cyberspace server connection in a single player game is a joke. Graphics is way below standards of the average 2003 game (yes correct...2003 not 2013). The atmosphere that has been a trademark in the earlier versions of this game is all but gone. Why, why, why did I ever by this piece of junk????
  63. Mar 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nipaigrat`!!!111 Lamal vseh v anal! EA nubyi suka, vashu papu, deda! Vse plohom igra crutaya, no servera huynya, ya vas shatal vseh!!!111 nipaigrat`!!! Ad vas zhdet!!! Expand
  64. Mar 9, 2013
    Broken Game, Missing Features, Always On DRM, Generally Awful.

Another game EA truly got it's hands on. I'm honestly not surprised that EA has managed to turn a game which was highly anticipated and could have been game of the year into a pile of smoldering garbage.
  65. Mar 9, 2013
    This is the most useless game I've ever seen. Ontop of the servers being down since launch a worse debacle since Dialbo3 the game wouldn't even work anyway. Forcing people to have an ALWAYS on internet connection to play a single player offline mode is about as pointless as having three forks in one had trying to eat a meal.
  66. Mar 9, 2013
    At some point they'll turn the servers off and it won't be possible to play ever again. Not that it's possible to play now... I'd recommend buying an old used copy of Sim City 4 instead. Or an old copy of Civ.
  67. Mar 9, 2013
    Sim City was based on two things when I was growing up. 1) the ability to create huge sprawling cities (enter cheats, create disasters, etc) and 2) to run the game on cheetah if you did not cheat and allow you to accumulate money. EA has completely blundered at recreating any nostalgia for people that grew up playing Sim City. I do not mind playing on servers, if the servers are adequateSim City was based on two things when I was growing up. 1) the ability to create huge sprawling cities (enter cheats, create disasters, etc) and 2) to run the game on cheetah if you did not cheat and allow you to accumulate money. EA has completely blundered at recreating any nostalgia for people that grew up playing Sim City. I do not mind playing on servers, if the servers are adequate and allow for all of the game to be played. I looked forward to playing many hours of this game. Now, I have friends that have lost cities due to the server inconsistency. Then, because EA wanted this to be a multiplayer game because the city size is not large enough for single player.I had a useless region with half of the cities corrupt because of server issues. EA I have owned many of games and I can say that this is the game that broke the back for the company. I will no longer be purchasing EA titles. Goodbye Madden, NCAA, Tiger Woods, et al. Expand
  68. Mar 9, 2013
    This always on DRM limits the usability of games in ridiculous ways. Gone is the ability to play this game on a road trip, during a long layover, in a hotel on vacation, or anywhere else you might not have an always on connection. But what scares me even more is how blatantly the DRM proclaims you aren't buying the game, you're only renting it. This DRM means you can only play this game asThis always on DRM limits the usability of games in ridiculous ways. Gone is the ability to play this game on a road trip, during a long layover, in a hotel on vacation, or anywhere else you might not have an always on connection. But what scares me even more is how blatantly the DRM proclaims you aren't buying the game, you're only renting it. This DRM means you can only play this game as long as EA allows you to and they can pull that permission any time they want to. As soon as EA decides it isn't worth it to maintain the servers necessary to play, the game you paid $60 for becomes absolutely useless. And I know this review hasn't touched on the actual game play but it's very difficult to review something that you can't play because of the stupid DRM. Expand
  69. Mar 9, 2013
    While the game looks great, it is not satisfying in the way its predecessors were. My biggest complaints include the city plot size (which is confusingly small), and lack of terraforming. I want to create a large customized city as in Simcity 4, and I'm stuck with building villages on cookie cutter terrain. Massive disappointment.
  70. Mar 9, 2013
    DRM aside (which I don't support but can live with) this game is not what you'd expect from the the creators of simcity 4. I first actually got to play 2 days after purchase due to server issues but what I found is a game that is better suited for Facebook, I have little creativity in city creation and I have to start where they pre determine my highway connection is. The city I createDRM aside (which I don't support but can live with) this game is not what you'd expect from the the creators of simcity 4. I first actually got to play 2 days after purchase due to server issues but what I found is a game that is better suited for Facebook, I have little creativity in city creation and I have to start where they pre determine my highway connection is. The city I create very very quickly fills its boarders and the topography is non adjustable which wouldn't be so bad of the game wasn't 2km by 2km, I mean come on I want an in depth opportunity to be the creative city building nerd I always dreamed of but I find myself much more satisfied with building in tropico than this game and they don't even have a sewer system to build or subways.... Oh wait neither does simcity 5 Expand
  71. Mar 9, 2013
    I think GameSpot's review of this game says it best. This is a 5/10 game at best. I'm going to give it a 3. Don't get me wrong, over the next year I'm sure they'll sort out some of the issues, but in it's current state, it never should have been put in sale.

Once I heard about the always online requirement, I knew this game would be a wreck. Server issues aside, there are serious design flaws and limitations around single player play. Even when you give in to the "social" aspect that was created to justify the always online DRM, you find loads of bugs that prevent you from working with others, allow others to wreck your cities, or even cause you to lose your city entirely. The level of frustration and disappointment is unbelievable.

At the core, SimCity does some things better than ever, but it rarely works long enough for you to tell. In the end, it lacks the size, scale and features of previous versions, and spends most of it's time frustrating you.
  72. Mar 9, 2013
    DRM Is a Part of the game, and good game journalist's scores should reflect that. As should the always On experience be reflected in the games score.

Hopefully gamers will now know not to trust scores from people who do not take both of these into consideration. If you cannot play a single player game single player at launch for any reason, the game is not worth the time of day nor

If you cannot play a single player game single player at launch for any reason, the game is not worth the time of day nor your money.
  73. Mar 9, 2013
    Server overload can be a bummer when you try to play the new SimCity, along with the myriad of different bugs that will probably break most complex cities on their attempt to succeed.
  74. Mar 9, 2013
    The game is fine, I mean, it works for the most part. The layout is bad, control over the cities is limited. City size is too small. It has crashed 2 times. Certainly not worth $80. Maybe worth $25. This is the last time I will ever pre-order a game. I think I will go back to sim city 4.
  75. Mar 9, 2013
    Haven't been able to play at least half the time I've wanted to because the servers were down. These issues they are having are well known and have been solved by tons of other companies. Incompetent developers spoiling an amazing series.
  76. Mar 9, 2013
    There are many reasons why I think Maxis and EA have ruined simcity for me. First, server issues, I (and lots of other people) would much rather play simcity as a single player game. They force us to always be connect to their servers to play, not a deal breaker for me but when their servers can't handle the traffic it is. Next the game itself, they removed some of the best features fromThere are many reasons why I think Maxis and EA have ruined simcity for me. First, server issues, I (and lots of other people) would much rather play simcity as a single player game. They force us to always be connect to their servers to play, not a deal breaker for me but when their servers can't handle the traffic it is. Next the game itself, they removed some of the best features from previous simcity games, you can't create your own regions or cities and terraform the land, making hills and rivers ect. The size of the cities is ridiculously small, the whole city can be filled up in an hour, so you have to choose what to demolish to continue building.
    Also there are very limited public transportation options, I'm sure they will have DLC with more in the future, but for the price of the game, more options should have been included. One of my favorite features of SC4 was that it allowed modding, the community created some amazing mods for the game, that's why it has been around and popular for over 10 years. I'm also worried about money hungry EA and their "micro-transactions", what happened to expansion packs, rush hour was awesome and totally worth it. I guess for now I'll just have to stick with SC4 until Civitas (moddable, DRM free, city simulator on kickstarter) is funded and released.
  77. Mar 9, 2013
    Is sad how Electronic Arts DRM, and servers removed the fun for such a good game, I wanted to play while I was offline in my free time and got surprised when I wasn't allowed to play and when I got online the servers where down EA has lost a user today the only good thing about this is that I got my money back
  78. Mar 9, 2013
    Where to start. Always online, small maps, frustrating game play, inability to control saves. Inability to alter the landscape. Make a mistake and you will have to basically start over. I built a high school and it didn't show up except for a little access road that I can't delete now. Building roads is so frustrating. Upgrading placed buildings is a great concept, but they require spaceWhere to start. Always online, small maps, frustrating game play, inability to control saves. Inability to alter the landscape. Make a mistake and you will have to basically start over. I built a high school and it didn't show up except for a little access road that I can't delete now. Building roads is so frustrating. Upgrading placed buildings is a great concept, but they require space outside their footprint, which F's up your entire layout. And the map, the tiny little city size I filled it up in a couple hours, and now just sit and watch as it progresses. This game would be great if they had just improved the deficiencies of the last Sim City game without dumbing down the parts that made it challenging. A complete and utter disappointment on so many levels. I waited for over 10 years for this game and they ruined it. Any of the "professionals" who gave this a 10 are either high, stupid, or just easily entertained. Farmville was more challenging. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! If you must own it, wait a week, they will selling used for 10 bucks. I think I will use mine for a coaster. Expand
  79. Mar 11, 2013
    It's sad to see a great game series like Sim City die at the hands of EA, the wonderful title was again used as an electric boogaloo to milk money off Sim city fans. Having started playing the Sim City series from 2000 it really breaks my heart to see a sequel being put together so halfheartedly. I have nothing to say.

Bye sim city
  80. Mar 11, 2013
    Always online DRM was not OK when Blizzard did it, and it is not OK now that EA is doing it either. This is a trend that MUST stop within the gaming industry.
  81. Mar 14, 2013
    Don't buy this game (at least until they fix it or modders do)! It's ridden with server problems and bugs galore. After logging in, the available regions that others play play on are all full or bugged, so you can only play with friends (which they have to be on the same server) or by yourself. Achievements are only carried on the server you play. When you do play with other people, theDon't buy this game (at least until they fix it or modders do)! It's ridden with server problems and bugs galore. After logging in, the available regions that others play play on are all full or bugged, so you can only play with friends (which they have to be on the same server) or by yourself. Achievements are only carried on the server you play. When you do play with other people, the server is so laggy that even talking in chat, there's a 10-30 second delay. The game is stupidly simple, it doesn't have the same complexity as previous versions. This game was not ready nor properly tested for launch, don't buy it! Expand
  82. Jul 21, 2013
    1. Game fundamental mechanism and logic is not working appropriately. Many bugs have not been resolved.
    2. Map size too small and annoying on-line DRM requirements. Developers are unwilling to change and indifferent to customer's complains and request.
    3. Greedy DLC business model. No modelling ability in spite of their false promise.
  83. Mar 13, 2013
    SimCity is at its heart a single player game. For greedy EA to force always-on DRM on this franchise is frankly unforgiveable. When popularity of the servers goes down EA will pull the plug and your access to the game will be forever gone. Also gone are my ability to manage my own saves so out the window also goes the ability to experiment with your cities without permanently destroyingSimCity is at its heart a single player game. For greedy EA to force always-on DRM on this franchise is frankly unforgiveable. When popularity of the servers goes down EA will pull the plug and your access to the game will be forever gone. Also gone are my ability to manage my own saves so out the window also goes the ability to experiment with your cities without permanently destroying your creations. The city size limits are abysmally small and are not compensated by connecting several of these small towns together. Not only are the cites small but the locations are fixed and unchangeable another very bad move. On top of all that terraforming has also been completely removed from the game. Now I can't shape the land to form my masterpiece. It feels like EA has killed my favorite city building game and replaced it with a cheap facebook imposter. Expand
  84. Mar 13, 2013
    Trash, EA should learn a lesson to listen to the consumers. Servers a horrible even after they fixed them. Game is buggy and featureless. I'll never bu another EA game again. And that's a shame because I was looking forward to battlefield 4. Just save your self the over priced asking price and use the $60 to buy Tropico 3, 4 and all the dlc along with cities xl 2013 for about $30 if youTrash, EA should learn a lesson to listen to the consumers. Servers a horrible even after they fixed them. Game is buggy and featureless. I'll never bu another EA game again. And that's a shame because I was looking forward to battlefield 4. Just save your self the over priced asking price and use the $60 to buy Tropico 3, 4 and all the dlc along with cities xl 2013 for about $30 if you want a city simulator. Expand
  85. Mar 13, 2013
    So yeah, launch was terrible, regardless of what some of these reviews are saying it was, in fact, worse than Diablo 3. Disregarding that however, the game, for what it is, isn't that bad. Unfortunately it also doesn't live up to not only the previous Sim City games (though I realize that this is a "relaunch" and not a sequel), but there are a lot of things that were told to us prior toSo yeah, launch was terrible, regardless of what some of these reviews are saying it was, in fact, worse than Diablo 3. Disregarding that however, the game, for what it is, isn't that bad. Unfortunately it also doesn't live up to not only the previous Sim City games (though I realize that this is a "relaunch" and not a sequel), but there are a lot of things that were told to us prior to the release that this just does not deliver.

I have spent a lot of time in this game, I made a city with over 400,000 people in it, I filled up the map with an oil drilling city, I filled up the map with a city of almost nothing but high-density, high-wealth commercial and residential with landmarks making tons of tourist money, I made a mining city making tons of money selling alloy. Making them was great. It's too bad I can't play those last 2 now. Both of them are lost somewhere in that big, origin cloud in the sky. The only reason I'm on metacritic right now is because I just can't bring myself to make another city, pouring 10-15 hours into something that when I load it the next day it's going to tell me that it can't process correctly and then it completely disappears such that I can't even see the road connecting it when I'm in my city next door. I'l start with my list of gripes. 1) They said that people's lives were going to be simuated; they'd have names, jobs, homes. Well, that's true. They wake up in a home in the morning, you follow them to work. But keep watching. That night they go to the closest empty house, the next day someone with a different name leaves that house and goes to the closest empty job which is not the same as it was yesterday. Their "simulation" isn't simulating anything. 2) While this is a relaunch, it's missing key components from previous games. Most visibly, terraforming. There's a city in one region where you can't build anything but a 1x8 strip of road and maybe 10 houses and the rest is a giant mesa that's too steep for a road to go up. 3) The obvious part from earlier about my cities keep going missing. 4) You will run out of water. Your entire region WILL run out of water. There is nothing you can do about it. 5) I can't save my game on my PC. Now always-online doesn't bother me as long as servers are up (I haven't had a big problem with that), but I've been playing SimCity for 18 years and sometimes you just have to back up 30 minutes and start again. Plus I always enjoyed filling up a map with a giant city and then setting off all the disasters at once before I went to bed at night. When I got up, I'd reload the game and be right back where I was before the disaster. Here, you don't get that, what happens, happens. At least in WoW, which incidentally is also always online and doesn't save locally, there is nothing I can do short of deleting my toon that will completely destroy my gameplay (and I can even undo character deletion if I open a ticket). No local save Great chance of failure. 6) The city is too small. I don't care what anyone thinks, the city is too small. On every other Sim City game I always chose the largest city, why in the world would I ever want just a kinda big city or itty bitty city? I wouldn't. 7) Everything HAS to be next to a road. You can't build a residential square and put a park in the middle of it (unless you just plop a piece of road next to it as well), and you can't upgrade from a 4 lane to a divided 4 lane or move your road over 1 space (to keep in line with the rest of the city) without destroying every building along it. There's too much stuff for me to continue without saying what I like about it.

So, what I like about it 1) I like that the roads are the pipes and the power lines. It simplifies things, but doesn't over-simplify. 2) I like how (when working) if you've built a university or fully upgraded your town hall in one city in the region, the benefits spread to the rest of the region. 3) Though I have to care about how happy everyone is, I'm glad I don't have to REALLY care about how happy they are like in SC4. 4) As I'm going over things in my head now, I realize what I like about it is the fact that it's SimCity. There's not anything in particular about this specific game that I can point out that is special and working that I like. Just building a city and watching it grow and change is the only reason I've made 4 full map cities (well, that and I keep having to start over since they keep disappearing). I could probably at this moment reinstall SC3k and not be nearly as disappointed.
  86. Mar 14, 2013
    Dont get me wrong at its core it could be a beautiful game but there is so MUCH holding it back. The always online is a kick to the knees but the killer for me is City size, 0.5km x 0.5km is just so so small and then the traffic AI is just moronic, no left turns, avoids avenues for dirt roads if there closer, ambulances dont have right of ways buses have no routes and cause jams 7Dont get me wrong at its core it could be a beautiful game but there is so MUCH holding it back. The always online is a kick to the knees but the killer for me is City size, 0.5km x 0.5km is just so so small and then the traffic AI is just moronic, no left turns, avoids avenues for dirt roads if there closer, ambulances dont have right of ways buses have no routes and cause jams 7 firetrucks for 1 small house fire while a skyscraper burns down i could go on.

Glassbox needs a lot of work

RCI needs fixing its too lenient and unrealistic while at the same time we are seeing 100% residential cities working with no commercial or industrial.

Graphical its beautiful but size constraints are holding it back.

its a good game at its core but EA have decided to bring this game out of development too soon.

Disappointing.
  87. Mar 14, 2013
    SimCity is a fine arcade game to play for a little bit I played 15 hours... but that seems a little short for a $60 game! There isn't much to do in this game other than get frustrated at protesters, not having enough money without pissing off your people and making your people leave and having too much to deal with with how little money that you can accumulate for most of the game. I'veSimCity is a fine arcade game to play for a little bit I played 15 hours... but that seems a little short for a $60 game! There isn't much to do in this game other than get frustrated at protesters, not having enough money without pissing off your people and making your people leave and having too much to deal with with how little money that you can accumulate for most of the game. I've never played it, but personally Tropico 3 or 4 looks better since it appears to have more political depth, but that's just me. Expand
  88. Mar 14, 2013
    While always-online DRM is irritating, it's not really a problem for me, as I have an Internet connection wherever I play games anyway. So I could live with that. I was totally fine with connection problems the first week, knowing it would stabilize later. If the simulation was even close to what was promised. After building a few 'cities' and you are done with the initial creativeWhile always-online DRM is irritating, it's not really a problem for me, as I have an Internet connection wherever I play games anyway. So I could live with that. I was totally fine with connection problems the first week, knowing it would stabilize later. If the simulation was even close to what was promised. After building a few 'cities' and you are done with the initial creative exploration, you really start to notice how simplified the simulation really is. Destroyed the whole experience for me. And I think it's too fundamental things for the developers to ever fix with patches. Going back to SimCity 4 and Tropico. Expand
  89. Mar 19, 2013
    I registered purely to give this game a zero, which is exactly what it deserves. Even if you can get over the disingenous excuses for the DRM, this game will let you play it for two days solid, then casually delete your game as if it never existed. Happened to me on 19/03/13 after two days playing, so it can't even be excused as a launch issue. The one good thing is that they gave meI registered purely to give this game a zero, which is exactly what it deserves. Even if you can get over the disingenous excuses for the DRM, this game will let you play it for two days solid, then casually delete your game as if it never existed. Happened to me on 19/03/13 after two days playing, so it can't even be excused as a launch issue. The one good thing is that they gave me simcity 4 deluxe for free, which I'm now playing instead. Expand
  90. Mar 20, 2013
    This is not the worst game ever. This is however the worst and most disappointing case of anti-consumerism I have witnessed in my lifetime.

As a life long fan of the SimCity games series I am in shock EA would release this game under the name SimCity. Anyone who played sc4 will immediately see the glaring diversion from the legacy established by previous games. As a gamer with a brain I am saddened and intellectually offended that EA would hold back fundamental aspects of the previous iterations (terraforming, subways, reasonably sized building areas, etc) with the intention of selling these things as dlc in the future.

This game is incomplete. EA is selling a fraction of a game for full retail price.

This game could have been epic but EA has exploited and destroyed yet another legacy from what used to be a consumer driven industry.

EA states that releasing a version of this game consistent with its legacy does not fit their "vision" for the new SimCity... I state that paying $60 for a fraction of a game experience then purchasing the rest of what should have been part of the initial game in the form of DLC over a period of time does fit with my vision of what I want and expect from a SimCity game.

Absolute exploitation of a legendary game series. Tantamount to fraud.
  91. Apr 5, 2013
    this game! it. Do not buy it. It is a worthless piece of I cannot even access the game because I have to download a ****ing million ****ing things that all ****ing glitch out. I bought the CD version so I wouldn't have to deal with the hassle of downloading, but noooo,.. u still have to ****ing download a million ****ing things even with the CD version. EA and anyone else who had a this game! it. Do not buy it. It is a worthless piece of I cannot even access the game because I have to download a ****ing million ****ing things that all ****ing glitch out. I bought the CD version so I wouldn't have to deal with the hassle of downloading, but noooo,.. u still have to ****ing download a million ****ing things even with the CD version. EA and anyone else who had a hand in creating this game. You are all worthless pieces of ****ing Expand
  92. Mar 8, 2013
    Thanks for gimping a fully purchased game. I think the game itself has potential and I would like to play it but always online DRM is unacceptable for a SINGLE player game.
  93. Mar 7, 2013
    I'd gladly rate the game properly, if I could play it. Paying 90$ for a game I can't play is absurd. Don't cause yourself unneeded headaches and just stay a way for a while. I'm sure they'll get this sorted out eventually and at that time I may come back and re-rate it, but this is a farce.
  94. Mar 9, 2013
    Every single PC game requiring permanent internet connection for single player modus will be boycotted indefinately. Too bad, since I'm a huge Simcity fan since its humble beginnings, but I will not spend a single coin on this game before a patch for this silly DRM is released.
  95. Mar 11, 2013
    This is a mess form Maxis and Electronic Arts!! If they would have wanted it worst, they wouldn't have been capable to do so!! Sadly, the DRM and the poor servrs decisions have mede this an unpleable game. It has been almost a week since release, and I haven't even been able to launch (and update) the game due to a lack of servers availability. The game itselt may be awesome, but it'sThis is a mess form Maxis and Electronic Arts!! If they would have wanted it worst, they wouldn't have been capable to do so!! Sadly, the DRM and the poor servrs decisions have mede this an unpleable game. It has been almost a week since release, and I haven't even been able to launch (and update) the game due to a lack of servers availability. The game itselt may be awesome, but it's broken, and right now, as it is... It's just a rip off from Electronic Arts!! It's really so sad to talk bad abouta game for this issues instead of the fun factor an dit's gameplay... EA... you should be ashamed and give the money back!! I seriously recomend!! DO NOT BUY THIS GAME (at least, not for now)... If you do (like I did), you'll be throwing your money to Electronic Arts for nothing in return!! Expand
  96. Mar 9, 2013
    Single player game and always drm connection required. Electronic Arts don't think in players without on line connection. If they want fight piracy, don't legal players with this I think this is a real good game but i can play. I hope EA is thinking about of this and go back to this stupid situation.
  97. Mar 22, 2013
    When drm and server problems fade, the real weakness of the game shines through. Region lag is a continuing issue, and individual plots are way too small to accommodate any reasonably sized city. The AI is a joke, with traffic patterns driving you crazy. It'll take them a year or so to release the game they promised; if they don't give it to you for free, don't bother.
  98. Mar 8, 2013
    Ok, I understand having to have an internet connection to play the game. But if the servers are junk or full and you can't even play the damn game that's just stupid! EA dropped the ball on this one! I don't care who but since I can't even enjoy a single player game. Because the servers are unavailable or down or full. This game is going back and I'll save some money and get Cities XL. IOk, I understand having to have an internet connection to play the game. But if the servers are junk or full and you can't even play the damn game that's just stupid! EA dropped the ball on this one! I don't care who but since I can't even enjoy a single player game. Because the servers are unavailable or down or full. This game is going back and I'll save some money and get Cities XL. I don't care who eats the cash but its not going to be me! Expand
  99. Mar 7, 2013
    I have been able to play all of a couple token hours because of server issues. Problems-

1. Can't play, servers are down 90% of the time I want to play. 2. Major issues with vehicles. I had fire department helicopters to put out fires. All three of them took off at the same time and got stuck in mid air. I had to fix this by demolishing my fire department and re-building. Idiotic.

1. Can't play, servers are down 90% of the time I want to play.

2. Major issues with vehicles. I had fire department helicopters to put out fires. All three of them took off at the same time and got stuck in mid air. I had to fix this by demolishing my fire department and re-building. Idiotic. Broken.

3. Saves are not local. So, I play my city, the servers freak out. All progress after their save file is gone. Backups seem to take place erratically. I have lost as little as minutes of progress, to about an hour.

4. Frustrated with losing progress on my main city, I started a new city. I was 15 minutes in before the game crashed and I was booted to desktop. When I logged back in my new city was gone. Nothing. The servers hadn't made a save of it.
  100. Mar 10, 2013
    Almost a week after I purchase this game and I'm finally able to play decently. I've lost my first 3 cities due to this mess but I'm not TOO concerned about that. This always online DRM is not for me though so I just got through getting a refund for the game. If they ever put out a single player offline mode I might come back for it. Until then I'll be putting my money towards the CivitasAlmost a week after I purchase this game and I'm finally able to play decently. I've lost my first 3 cities due to this mess but I'm not TOO concerned about that. This always online DRM is not for me though so I just got through getting a refund for the game. If they ever put out a single player offline mode I might come back for it. Until then I'll be putting my money towards the Civitas kickstarter. Expand

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Jun 5, 2013
    Given enough patches and DCLs, SimCity might eventually become the game that should have been on its release and justify the ambiguous choices that its developers made. [May 2013]
  2. Games Master UK
    May 9, 2013
    Hints at great things but is limited by small cities and promises it can't deliver on. [June 2013, p.80]
  3. Hyper Magazine
    May 9, 2013
    There's more problems with this game than I have words. Looks great though. [June 2013, p.80]