2.1

1. Mar 5, 2013
    First of all, please stop making fun of my thumbs.
    Second of all, DRM...really EA? oh wait, it is EA after all and they like sucking our money. Think of EA like the federal reserve unregulated and unethical
  2. Mar 5, 2013
    Aside from issues such as origin, requiring a constant internet connection (I already have this wonderful device to save my games it's called a hard drive), and DRM which has been proven to promote piracy, the game is simply crap. Regions cannot be edited, the city sizes are tiny and all the finger details which made simcity great are gone. This is simply a dumbed down version of simcity 4 that looks nice. Check the ratings, the prime demographic has spoken, but as usual EA is too stupid to listen to their customer base. Ignore the hired spokesmen, which includes the media, this game is crap. Expand
  3. Mar 7, 2013
    Simcity has always been a single player game and out of numerous generation it has been through, this is by far the WORST one ever. No doubt gameplay is absolutely fun and better but the only drawback is due to the DRM. If EA think DRM can keep games from being pirated, well think again. You're being a scumbag to enforce DRM games at such a high cost but in turn provide the worst services ever. Shame on you EA. If you were a car I'd be smashing you with a baseball bat by now. I expected a better services with $80 but what I get is garbage. Expand
  4. Mar 7, 2013
    The game's been out for 2 days. In the 6 hours I've been trying, I haven't even been able to get into the tutorial level because of server issues.

Poor form, EA.
  5. Mar 6, 2013
    3 Days into launch and I still cant play, this is embarrassing!!!! Day one DLC? Does it include an add-on that will make this game actually work? It really kills me that such a great game has been ruined. I will be looking for a refund for the first time....ever...
  6. Mar 5, 2013
    his game is awesome. I've never had that much fun in a simulation game since Simcity 4 to be honest.
    All in all, my experience was fantastic.
    I didn't experience any lag and everything worked correctly.
  7. Mar 26, 2013
    So, i`m rewriting my review. After the server issues get fixed, i finally find the real problems with the game: Traffic problem cannot be solved after your city gets really big. The map size is awful (about 5 miles x 5 miles). There is no terraform tool Not only the map size is small but some terrains have another waste of space with rivers, sea and mountains. From time to time your city is striked with disasters, and every town that i create a nuclear plant, the giant monster always attack and strikes right on my plant, wasting half my city.
    The zombies occupies almost all residencies, and you start losing money quick, because you have do demolish everything they infected, and you lost works, and your power plant stop working, and the caos begins....

In other words: this is no simulation game, this is a very frustrate, small neighborhood simulator...
  8. Mar 6, 2013
    I want my money back. I don't how care how beautiful or complex the game looks. If it doesn't work then these things are irrelevant! EA has alienated many SimCity fans including myself. I hope they have learned a lesson from this. Oh, and since I am already at it here's another complaint. Nix DRM! This is an absurd element to have in this kind of a game. Make multiplayer games optional and provide users with optional updates and patches, like in the past. What happened to the emphasis on personal choice in the SimCity franchise philosophy anyways? Went down the drain with EA's fascist republic of gaming business model, I guess. Expand
  9. Mar 5, 2013
    Exciting and addictive rebirth of a classic series. With the detailed bottom-up simulation, every success and failure in your city comes down to a Sim.
  10. Mar 5, 2013
    PROS: Fresh look for a good classic, resources or speciality services, shared goals within game, on line play.

CONS: DRM tech (for such a "unpopular" game, based on EA's preparedness level), SC Veterans will miss a single player mode, EA's support structure was not scaled appropriately for this games data/connection requirements and/or the demand thereof.

Im not sure what type of
    this latest title the Critics got a taste of, but I assure you, it wasn't the one that consumers beta tested or paid for. Finally, with all that can go wrong(and has) with games that have gone this route, I'm not even sure if you can call this a game at this stage.....maybe software or program as a game is fundamentally redundant if it cannot be played and just merely stared at, in awestruck disappointment. Expand
  11. Mar 6, 2013
    Hard to write a review for a game I can't play. Even on available servers every time I try to claim a city I get an error message.

I was able to play about an hour (which was mostly the tutorial) on launch day and since then I haven't been to resume my single player region and city (due to the server being full) and I haven't been able to start a new city.
  12. Mar 11, 2013
    It takes Ubisoft to learn that it just not worth having persistently connected games and deal with the potential customer backlash afterward. I've since wary of buying anything coming out of Ubisoft. I will stay out of EA too if this persist and vote with my money, until they learn...
  13. Mar 14, 2013
    Update 3/14: Login issues seem to be fixed, but there are still major problems with this game. We all know about the forced online and small map size, but I haven't seen too many people mention the bugs. Remember how the beta was capped at 1 hour? There are TONS of issues, and most of them only become apparent after a few hours of play. I suspect the beta was less about finding and squashing bugs, and more about publicity. I've had every single sim become homeless for no apparent reason, hundreds of thousands of simoleans disappear from my treasury, buses and trade centers refuse to work despite there being no traffic, and power to cities going out upon logging, taking several in-game days before it decides to turn on again. The list goes on. Now, the SimCity franchise is no stranger to bugs, but these are literally game-ending because there is no save ability. There are questionable gameplay mechanics too, such as the inter-connectivity of cities, where a single 'bad' player can ruin a game, or the crippling simplicity of the transit, job and housing system. The latter has only become apparent in the last few days, and it indicates everything Maxis/EA told us about sophisticated AI and massive amounts of route calculations was a lie. Google it and see for yourself. SimCity is not a 'sim' in any sense of the word, and I can't recommend it to anyone. Expand
  14. Mar 11, 2013
    incredibly addicting and well made city simulator. its not the same old simcity you used to play a lot has changed but in my eyes for the better. the core game-play here is so good and so addictive once you start its hard to put down. the multiplayer aspects of region play are also very satisfying when they work!

there is a very fun and challenging game to be found trying to manage
    your city as it grows from a cozy little town into a full on metropolis. Expand
  15. Mar 6, 2013
    I'm (was?) a huge fan of the SimCity franchise. But in this game, i gotta admit: EA really *ucked it up. You need an internet connection to play a single player game, and sometimes you got even to wait in order to play it. This was definetly my last purchase at origin. Don't waste your money in this game.
  16. Mar 5, 2013
    Unable to claim a city at this time. unable to claim a city at this time. unable to claim a city at this time. unable to claim a city at this time.
  17. Mar 11, 2013
    I'm going to ignore the server login issues, however once you are in the game you do run out of space quite fast, again not a problem as you increase density. The major issue I have with this game is that you need to cannibalise your city to provide services such as water, power, recycling, etc. Everything takes up more and more space the trading HQ takes upwards to two big city blocks.

Now this issue wouldn't be an issue if the various cities in the region worked together with any consistent way, i'm always getting messages that x city is no longer sending me water, but I made x city with over 1000 times the water that city needed to supply this one, sending funds or resources seems to take half a day (real time), and each of my various cities in the region saw our Regional Airport at different stages which leads me to believe large amounts of resources were probably going into cyberspace never to be seen again. I have also noted it appears you can only send resources to your closest neighbours not those further distance.

Until ALL of Simcity's server issues are resolved I cannot recommend this game, it is broken and the long game just doesn't seem to be there, i've played three cities with a region population of 300k and a total bank balance of $55M (through electronics trading) and i've run out of things to do, I have no space, I need to keep my utilities in each city as outsourcing isn't an option, so i'm stuck just watching my balance go up, and my interest go down.
  18. Mar 13, 2013
    SimCity is the biggest scam in recent gaming history. http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comments/1a5pof/did_ea_lie_about_theoretical_population_sizes/
  19. Mar 7, 2013
    I'd love to write a really favorable review about my favorite game franchise of all time. I played the original SimCity on the C64. Like I said, I'd love to. But I can't. Simply for the reason that I am unable to play the game due to the most intrusive DRM I've seen yet. I received the DVD yesterday, but of course could not install the game, since it was "unreleased". My PC at home that I am currently watching remotely, is trying to install the game since this morning 8:00 am and consistently failing due to server overload and therefore being unable to validate the key. Way to go EA. Not! Expand
  20. Mar 6, 2013
    Dear EA,

Sadly your company has again pushed me away from the right path. I realize after a friend has told me that Sim City 5 was released. First thing I thought was its EA..I don't want to support you but the second thought came into my mind was, its Maxis. A company who was created by a brilliant programmer Will Wright (which to be honest I look up to and hope to one day achieve
    something great like him.) However after downloading the game and unable to play after 8 or so hours after I paid $80 (in support to Maxis) I am still unable to create one single city. Its either server are down, unable to login to server please login again, and unable to claim city (this was earlier in the day.) This is a horrendous experience for any customer.

How does a large company such as yourself able to pour so much money into marketing a game yet unable to provide the support or infrastructure it needs for it to work? Its like Lamborghini made a new car and once they give you the key you can't drive it anywhere. How worthless is that to the buyer?

Anyways, to go on with what I want to say, you have my $80.00 keep it for your unemployment checks once people are finally fed up with your B.S. I hope every single one of your executives that have had any say in pushing this product out, loose their job, loose their wealth, and have to go live in a homeless shelter. Maybe then that they would learn how to earn a respectable living before falsifying a product and shamelessly using a dearly beloved brand name to fill their pockets first.

Also I'm probably no longer going to wait for EA to fix this crap. I'll wait for one of the hacker groups out there who are only a team of 10 or so or less able to throw in some codes to make it work offline. Seriously a group of hackers can make this game offline and a GIANT Fing company can't make a mode for offline gaming.

P.S. If there was an offline gaming, there wouldn't be this rant, SimCity was an offline game. You want online fine, make it an option not a NECCESSARY!

P.S.S. Comments on hackers, I really hope EA reads it and learn that hackers are going to be this brand savior instead of the opposite. We(consumers) buy legitimate games that we can't play(because of the company foolishness) but if they(pirates) get it illegitimately they will be able to play it...that is one @SS backward way to sell your games! All I can say is I root for the pirates this time all the way!
  21. Mar 7, 2013
    Could have been a brilliant game, but right now it's almost completely decimated by unreliable cloud saves, tiny maps, lack of terraforming and tacked-on online features.
  22. Mar 6, 2013
    Simply terrrible. Once again EA are too greedy for what should even be allowed. This exploitation of EA owned franchises needs to stop...

/ANTI-EA
  23. Mar 6, 2013
    They've taken a what used to be a great offline game and ruined it. I do not want always-on, and their screwup of the launch proves why. EA will end up like Ubisoft, crawling back to gamers to offer fake apologies for their draconian crap. Too little, too late.
  24. Mar 5, 2013
    A good SimCity that is different than it's predecessors, but still captures that typical SimCity feeling. It takes some time to get used to a few new approaches like the city size and the connected cities, but can get you hooked up in no time, leaving lots of options to optimize in later gameplay stages.I'd buy it again, no server problems as welI.
    I honestly don't get however people try
    to give negative impressions without playing the game, or trying to manipulate the rating with multiple accounts that have copy&paste rants that repeat themselves.You don't have to buy, just let the people who enjoy it enjoy it. Expand
  25. egn
    Mar 6, 2013
    No amount of paid for, EA-sponsored reviews can make up for the ill-conceived fraud that this game is. Sim City has the following restrictions (features) that have all been stated by Maxis employees:

You must be connected to the internet 100% of the time you are playing.
    ...... You must connect to Origin to load or save your city (see next item).
    ...... Games are saved to the cloud
    (EA Servers).
    ...... If you're net connection goes down for more than a couple of minutes then all gameplay since last save is lost.
    ...... The installed game is only half the software, the rest is on EA's Serves so requires a fast, reliable internet connection to transfer data.
    ...... Other players Cities will influence yours even in 'single player' mode.
    ...... Saved games once loaded must be saved so you can't change your mind and go back and reload the city.
    ...... If the game flops and servers are switched off (EA averages 2 years or so) it will become unplayable.

No god mode terraforming. (This includes how much resources are available and where they are).
    No modding allowed at launch (if at all due to online requirements/cloud computing).
    No building density zoning.
    Buildings may spam along a single road.
    Dumbed down micro-management.
    Limited population (Max 100,000 Sims per city)
    The city tile size is only equivalent to a medium city in SC4, and that is the only size available.
    You only get European building sets if you buy the game as a digital download direct from origin.

I don't care how fun a game is; Any amount of money you pay for this software should basically just be considered rent, because EA will inevitably shut down the servers that you NEED to run this game within the next six months to 2.5 years; after which you'll never be able to play it again.
  26. Mar 5, 2013
    did not buy, will not buy. Sim City is one of my all time favorite franchises, but I absolutely refuse to buy any game that has forced online DRM, especially for a single player game. Sorry EA has completely screwed up on this one!!
  27. Mar 5, 2013
    Very addicting game. Very enjoyable. I'm having a ton of fun. The simulation is extremely deep, like none I have ever seen and overall, the gameplay is fantastic!
  28. Mar 5, 2013
    EA completely deviated from what used to make Sim City great. If you're expecting this game to be better or even similar to SCR4 or SC2000 you are in for a serious surprise. EA has turned the Sim City franchise into a watered down Sims clone. Instead of focusing on bigger macro city building, EA's main concern is making sure each sim has a name and where they are 24 hrs a day!!! Wow who cares. The space you get to build your city is so small you feel like you never can fully max out your city. And don't get me started on the DRM included in this game. This game honestly feels like it should have been a free to play game on Facebook instead of something we pay $60 for. You know any improvements that should have been included in the launch will be offered as a extra buy-able item. My suggestion is to save you money for a better game or wait until you find this thing on the discount rack. Expand
  29. Mar 5, 2013
    Despite promises of servers being ready I am unable to access what has in the past been a single player game due to always online DRM. I have no issues with the concept in theory from my side as I have an extremely reliable internet connection, but if the company itself cannot have and keep their servers up to allow me to access products I paid for they shouldn't do it.

EA knows
    exactly how many preorders and copies they expected to sell on day 1, there is no excuse to not have been prepared for the server loads they are experiencing. My complete inability to access my game has resulted in the given score. Expand
  30. Mar 5, 2013
    The terrible treatment of legitimate paying customers makes the new Sim City impossible to recommend. Lacking features from the original games show that quality of service does not equal success of the game. EA is certainly not going to care about these issues, DRM or crappy DLC packs of shaved content from the original release if they sell a lot of copies, which is a sad reality with many modern AAA titles. Expand
  31. Mar 6, 2013
    Always online DRM, can't save game when I want, smaller cities, day 0 DLC. Don't bother to get this game. And the best: you can't play single player because of full servers...
  32. Mar 5, 2013
    Ratings based on DRM alone are ridiculous and make a false representation of how good the game is. The servers will get smoothed out, its release day. Its made to be a different game than SC2000 or SC4. Small map size is the only con so far of this game.
  33. Mar 5, 2013
    For everyone who says that constant DRM and a botched release are not a good enough reason to destroy this game's ratings they are wrong. EA needs to learn that these types of releases cannot happen. Three hours after registering my game and it hasn't even shown up in the "My Games Library" on Origin. Pathetic and unacceptable.
  34. Mar 5, 2013
    I've played the beta's, and i feel this could be a great game. I've bought the game, but i haven't been able to normally play it due to server issues. It's sad that EA have decided to cripple it. They've crippled it in two ways: 1. DRM 2. City size. 1. After i added my key the game didn't show up in Origin until much later. Once i was finally able to launch the game i had to wait forever to be able to play due to the server being full (why?! i want to play single player! why do i have to wait for a server to play a single player game?!)

Also what happens in 3 years when they release Simcity 2016? The servers will close and you can't play this game.

I've paid EA money to play a game when EA lets me play, not when i want to play.... i am never going to do this agian.

2.The city size is to small. This was a commercial decision by EA to maximize profit, they want as much people as possible to be able to buy the game, even people with a very old computer. It gives the people with a up to date computer a poor playing experience since they don't even have the option to play a bigger map, even though their computers can handle it. It's nice that the game has curved roads, but the city is so tiny there's not enough room to place curved roads...
  35. Mar 5, 2013
    Please ignore the EA shills and fan-girls who are trying to boost the score. There are some great ideas here, especially with the way the simulation works and includes surrounding regions in multiplayer. I just can't experience them for myself because EA didn't bother to provide enough server power to support the launch. Instead, I paid $60 for a mini-game where I sit in a queue for a half-hour at a time, only to restart that line when the server still isn't available. I could care less about it being DRM. I want to play the game I paid for, and I can't. Expand
  36. Mar 5, 2013
    Unable to preload the game, the Origin client failed to give me access to Sim City (or any other game I had purchased through it) for a few hours after my purchase. There's a wait to access a single-player game, which should blow any rational person's mind. Save files are frequently corrupted, causing you to lose your progress. The plot sizes are hilariously small. You're not building a city, you're building a town with high-rises. Even if the technical problems with overloaded servers and corrupted save files are solved, we all know EA is going to nickle and dime us for larger plot sizes, and they're going to hail their DRM their lord and savior. Don't make the same mistake as I did. Don't support this stuff. Expand
  37. Mar 9, 2013
    Now that I've been able to get in, I'm changing my score-it's probably a 9-maybe even a 10, without the previous issues. I'm having a lot of fun. Too bad about the launch, though
  38. Mar 6, 2013
    WARNING! DRM and Always Online so far, I haven't actually got to playing my game. Servers are a mess, and as many have pointed out what will happen when EA decides that they've had enough of it? Bye bye, money and saved files...
  39. Mar 6, 2013
    This review is based on my personal experience with the game. I pre-ordered the limited edition of the Sim City, however I wasn't able to actually start downloading the game until 8:00 the next morning. Seems to defeat the purpose of pre-ordering. After the game was installed, I was able to play for about 2 hours before I got a message saying the the SimCity servers were down, attempting to reconnect. I don't care about the DRM, but when it effects my gameplay experience, it is unacceptable. The 2 hours of game time I had were fun, but the game comes with so much baggage that it completely sucks the fun out of it. I know that when I am able to play again I'm going to constantly have "SimCity servers are down, attempting to reconnect" in the back of my mind, and wondering how long I'll be able to play. For a company as large as EA this is just ridiculous. They have raised the price of their games, forced you to download Origin in order to play, and then shown complete disregard for their customers. It is a fun game to play but I honestly cannot recommend purchasing it until EA straightens out its problems. Expand
  40. Mar 31, 2014
    I'll make it quick and simple.

It's a good game ruined by game-breaking bugs. EA has shown little interest in fixing these bugs. As a result you will end up needing to restart your city/region or accepting sacrifices due to bugs.

Be aware.
  41. Mar 11, 2013
    Ok now that the servers are back up and running alright, here is my proper review. my rating was a 3/10 because of all the crap this game threw at us at its launch. to be honest this game had one of the worst launches of any game, in history. i don't think this game will ever truly recover from it, this 1.5 rating is way too low for a game like this. and many people will not change their reviews because they are too fed up with the DRM. which is totally understandable. but the game is really fun. you can create entire trade networks and intricate cities. this increases the depth from the previous simcity games. managing the city is very fun. managing buildings is an amazing feature. although map sizes restrict you from building more advanced structures later on that is really my only complaint. this game has tons of potential and will have DLC i assure you (mostly because EA is a jerk) good game. sucks the EA gave it a bad rep. this DRM is a horrible thing for the gaming community but that doesn't mean simcity is a bad game Expand
  42. Mar 5, 2013
    A great game marred by EA's always-online requirement and cloud saves.
    1) Autosaving of cities are unclear you do not know when your creations are saved. Crashing to desktop is almost a death sentence as your cities literally disappear or got rolled back to empty wilderness when you log back on. 2) Unable to join servers and therefore unable to play a product you payed for unacceptable
    especially when no ETA on fixes are given. 3) If you idle in the join game selection lobby for abit (less than 1hr), after a while you cannot join/load.create any game you get a failed loading message. It's as if they disconnected you from their servers without telling you. Other minor bugs are present but do not impact the game too much. Except traffic pathing AI perhaps.

Conclusion: Even if you can tolerate the online DRM, the potential loss of your friends' creations upon disconnect/crash is enough to make you give up after 2-3 fresh retries. Don't buy this game until they work out this major problem (on saving cities and crash/disconnect recovery)
  43. Mar 5, 2013
    It's Diablo 3 all over again, but this is worse, because SimCity always was a single player game and now it doesn't even have an option to play it offline. Also, the cities are extremely small, there is no terraforming, can't load a previous save (no experimentation), there is useless and unrealistic empty space between cities and lack of transportation options (no subways!). I hate you EA for ruining one of my favorite franchises. Expand
  44. Mar 5, 2013
    DRM with endless problems logging on to a single-player game. Check. A city so small you're done in an hour or two. Check. A future of nickle-and-diming paid customers to death. Check. Following the profit structured Social version rather than the fan-beloved SimCity 4 version. Check. Run by EA. Check. Critics giving 9's and 10's after playing on private servers for critics. Check. Everyone else giving 0-3 rating. Check.

Efforts like this MUST fail or it is all we will get in the future. I remember the days when I would call in sick to work to play an awesome newly-released game. I'd spend hours playing and I wouldn't regret playing hooky at all. Now you try to do it only to discover that you spend the day in a que waiting to play a single-player game you already paid for. Thank god I tried it at a friend's house. Once it actually logged him on (an hour later), and four interruptions and two hours later, and we felt like we were basically done. Couldn't expand any further.

This isn't the rebirth of SimCity and this isn't the way games should be made and marketed. Protest with your wallet. Keep it closed.
  45. Mar 5, 2013
    This game is a disgrace to the SimCity franchise. In summary, this version of SimCity equates to a dumbed-down Facebook game. The always-online-DRM is pretty much a dealbreaker, but I might have still considered buying it if it weren't for the restrictions this system places on you. So as the term suggests, always-online-DRM means there is NO offline single player for this game. Want to play a single player world? Cool, you can do that, just sign into our servers first. Don't have internet? Need to pass the time on an airplane? Just play SimCity- oh wait, you can't. Ok, surely it can't be THAT big a deal, right? Wrong, not when you learn that you can't even save your worlds to your own hard drive. Everything you do has to be stored in EA's collection of poorly sustained servers. This also removes some of the magic of the old SimCity games, since it restricts you from destroying a city and reloading from an old save. This DRM system is restricting pretty basic freedoms of gaming. So there's the DRM system, which is a dealbreaker in itself, but what about the gameplay? Good news, that's a dealbreaker too. The cities are extremely small, you have no control over regional transport, there are no subways, and there is no terraforming. This game is completely misleading. This version of SimCity does not qualify as a full fledged video game. It qualifies as a Facebook game, at best. Don't waste your money on EA's little trap. Expand
  46. Mar 5, 2013
    Must be online to play
    Crashes alot
  47. Xel
    Mar 5, 2013
    Paid $60 to be unable to play the game on release due to EA's DRM, thanks Should have never bought and supported a DRM game. Clearly I won't be making that mistake again.
  48. Mar 5, 2013
    I'm surprised that so many people were able to get to the point of at least having difficulty accessing the game servers, because I wasn't even able to get the game I paid for. After fully paying for the game and receiving the order confirmation email half a day ago, the game is still not showing up on my Origin for download. I am currently trying really hard to reach EA to request an immediate refund, after such low quality service, for such not at all low priced product. I will stick to Steam and play my games as soon as I pay for them. Expand
  49. Mar 5, 2013
    The game is terrible, very disappointed. I paid a lot of money for crap. The size of the city is ridiculous and I would take care of the city, not the sims. Sim City 4 forever...
  50. Mar 5, 2013
    Game crippled by DRM, missing a lot of content to be sold as DLC later, requires internet connection, despite being traditionally a single player game and everyone being upset with the decision. Game currently doesn't work and probably won't in the near future when they decide it's no longer profitable to run the servers. Avoid this game and this publisher.
  51. Mar 5, 2013
    Wow, disappointment of the decade. Horrible DRM, microscopic maps, basic features missing. You're locked into a specific playing style. "Your city, Maxis' way" (or the highway if that doesn't suit you).
  52. Mar 5, 2013
    REVIEW SERVER BUST

Your server is still experiencing very high volume. You are now in a queue. The "read review" button will become active once space is available. To read review immediately, select another server.

Next attempt to read: 29:15.
  53. Mar 6, 2013
    DRM, small map size, forced "social" gaming. I want to like this game so very badly, but those 3 things alone are almost enough for me to not want to pick up where I left off on my city.....ohhhh WAIT, no, I cant pick up because the servers wont let me right now. Thats right...
  54. Mar 5, 2013
    A game is truly poor when its unable to be enjoyed, and this game falls completely in this category. With the always on DRM and a very poor delivery of server services. I am unable to play a game that is installed on my machine. For the only reason so that I can be social, its interesting then that in EA's mind that they have chosen social as the main means of driving their game design. To which they are a complete success, I have not even played the game, but I am pushed into the world of social sharing by the game to state, "its poor, and unplayable due to the server restriction and poor overhead server capacity. Thank you, Simcity you have delivered me into the social space per your game, and it is making meaningful connections for me, and hopefully those connections that read this will think twice about purchasing a game that is so limited in ones ability to play it. Expand
  55. Mar 5, 2013
    The game is great.

The servers are however constantly down, rendering the game completely unplayable. Until that issue is rectified, then this is the best I can do. Had they actually taken the time to properly speculate on how much server space they would actually need, this game would be getting an 8 from me right now.
  56. Mar 5, 2013
    I have completed everything that the game allows. Meaning I installed it and started it up. I would give it a 0 but the menu looks nice. There is no way to actually play the game so it is broken and should be avoided at all costs. I want to play BY MY SELF but it will not allow me to do so. Therefore it is broken and not worth buying.
  57. Mar 7, 2013
    DRM kills this game, as the previous 1000+ people said. Can't log into servers, always checking for updates. Terrible launch. And now EA will not take a refund on the game. Don't waste your hard earned cash on this company, and their bad products!
  58. Mar 5, 2013
    Pre-ordered this about a month ago. I once again succumbed to my love for franchises that EA has scooped up over the years and absolutely demolished. I wrongfully gave EA the benefit of the doubt in this case. After nothing but hours of headaches today trying to get this game to even show up in my Origin games library, it will not even proceed to launch and install the rest of the game. This is simply unacceptable business practice. EA makes billions off their franchises, and yet clearly have no interest in providing ease of access and stable infrastructure to support them. It's all about money with these clowns. This is the very last time I purchase a product that requires Origin or carries an EA logo. Collapse
  59. Mar 5, 2013
    The game I'm sure is great. Maxis always does a great job. Unfortunately, I can't play it right now because of Server issues. There was no pre-load available. Can't play a a single player game because of always on DRM. THIS WILL NOT STOP PIRACY. All EA is doing is inconveniencing paying customers. Of course they wont listen to reason. So we all vote this game down.
  60. Mar 6, 2013
    Just incredible.. Over the years i've purchased many games.. I played the original Sim City The stupidity, greed and incompetence of these people is amazing... I am an easy to please gamer and love all types of games... i was wary when i pre-ordered.. but i was so interested I made the plunge... Shame on EA, shame on Origin, and i don't give maxis a pass either...they hooked up with these people..they made the choices to destroy a game franchise that stood on top of all others.. I actually did get to play for 45 minutes last nite...the experience is uncompelling and the how anybody thought the tiny areas to build your city was a good thing beggars belief...

its a shame.. basically i just spent $60 to reinstall Sim City4.
  61. Mar 14, 2013
    I am assessing this game based on my 25 hours of experience. This game is fun up to a point but the mid to late game mechanics are horrendously broken. Traffic is a hideous monster to control and if you do by some miracle manage to organised it the game is incredibly easy. The only challenge is traffic management. It feels more and more like a glorified Facebook game without the social game requirements. Region trading is horrendously broken, commuters commute but when they do the traffic is so horrendous because you only have one entrance to your city. EVEN WITH mass transit maxed out including trains and boats, it's just ridiculous. The online requirements suck too, I've lost a 9 hour city due to the servers. Also the region play is rubbish due to the servers, I was playing a region with my girlfriend (hot seat style) and I waited TEN MINUTES for the servers to update our own singleplayer region so I could send power to my girlfriends city. This is just dumb, it isn't fun. tldr: it starts out very fun but after you get over the "creativity" aspect of creating a city it becomes very boring and very broken. Might be good in a few months when it's patched although many features are not as advertised (such as "full simulation" which is a flat out lie). The DRM just makes everything worse. Expand
  62. Mar 5, 2013
    DRM isn't an issue for me so far. (It was for Diablo 3) The city maps are smaller then I am used to but once you start playing I didn't notice it that much. The game seem much more lively than then the previous versions which got boring after awhile. So far it has been real fun to play and can't to play some more after work.
  63. Mar 5, 2013
    drm store dlc social multiplayer? No thanks.

Also, the cities are so small that they are all the same, this game is dumb and just a money milker. There is no space for creativity or challenge.
  64. Mar 5, 2013
    Always on DRM. Do not buy. Waiting in a queue to play a single player game? No thanks. I had high hopes for this game. I hope this is patched to go online for install, but offline after that.
  65. Mar 5, 2013
    No single player option, Tiny maps. I anticipate that you will be nickel and dime'd by microtransactions. Launch flop. It seems they've forgotten what made Sim City a good game.
  66. Mar 5, 2013
    I'd love a 3d online simcity, it's a great idea, but "Simcity" is a bunch of good ideas horribly implemented.

The glass-box engine that tracks every sim sounds good on paper but adds nothing to the gameplay. It's a dumbed down ugly simcity experience with most of the features built up over generations abandoned in favour of tacked-on online play and useless over-detail. The graphics
    are poor, the zoning system is horrific and leaves your city full of ugly holes, and despite there apparently being insane detail under the hood, as a player none of it really effects you or the gameplay. They could have abstracted a the traffic and sims's needs to a much higher degree and be left with the exact same gameplay but much bigger maps. The new casual focus is a failure, the scale is a failure, the online component is a failure, and the new art style is a failure. All good ideas on paper but EA just didn't quite manage to pull it off. The bottom line is that this game does not scratch the itch I have to design a city with the scope, control, or realism I've come to expect. Expand
  67. MFT
    Mar 6, 2013
    This game is a sham. Not only its bland and overly-simplified, just like Dead Space 3 or Crysis 3, it also bugged and flawed at its very core. Cities, even regions can disappear and become permanently unavailable. Trading and sending gifts takes ages because of constant server synchronization issues. AI is disgusting cars always take shorter routes even if there are free roads available. Police stations, fire stations, hospitals, schools, buses nothing works properly. Nothing can completely cover an entire city even though they suppose to cover entire regions. Cities themselves are very small and impossible to be self-sufficient, effective or even aesthetically pleasing. Its impossible to place symmetric streets. You cant even rotate buildings, you cant even place parks properly they have to be aligned to roads and take a lot of space. I am horrified at critics reaction and scores this game received. Everyone can see just how flawed and bugged this game is. Nobody likes constant online connection or slow server response times and yet they keep giving away 9 out of 10, 90% and A grades to EA. Its unexplainable and despicable how they keep deceiving the gamers and pander to industry giants which keep releasing casual/console oriented, bugged, unpolished, unfinished products. Expand
  68. Mar 6, 2013
    The Online play completely ruins the game, NO support is offered by EA.

If they released an OFFLINE version tommorow, this game would get a 9/10.

But right now the game is litterally UNPLAYABLE. I'm telling you DO NOT make the mistake of buying this game, YOU WILL BE DISSAPOINTED.

You litterally won't be able to play it.
  69. Mar 7, 2013
    Cant play single player because of the ridiculous DRM meaning that you cant play offline, had the game since release and only been able to have a few hours game time, then i got hit by the servers being full, to top that off i then tried to contact their shoddy costumer service, DO NOT BUY THIS GAME
  70. Mar 7, 2013
    Bought the game on release day, and 3 days later, still unable to play. Completely disappointed that a company like EA can't deliver what is promised to its customers. I am not bashing the game it self, I am bashing the launch, and the fact that they didnt offer any sort of offline mode to play this game alone if you wanted to. Truly disappointing that they have made this DRM stuff so ridiculous to the point that it has crippled the game itself. Expand
  71. Mar 5, 2013
    Yes it uses always on, yes it is having some hiccups... but so far this game is absolutely fantastic. A lot of the issues that people are complaining about I suspect will addressed in future patches.
  72. Mar 5, 2013
    a mix of smaller cities, no pre load, horribly DRM, Horrible origin.

When i first tried to play it, it didnt unlock... after i mixed that (an hour wasted) i had a 30 minute log in time...

Skip it, you will thank me.
  73. Mar 5, 2013
    So disappointed that they didn't lean from the D3 debacle and again saddle customers with unwanted DRM in the guise of connectivity-enabled features. Shame on you EA.
  74. Mar 5, 2013
    I don't see any justification for giving this game a score other than zero for the following reasons:

Always online DRM
    Small city sizes
    Features deleted

I'm happy for game companies to make money, but to deliver a subpar game to capitalize on its name recognition should not be tolerated by consumers. Don't buy it.
  75. Mar 14, 2013
    Regardless of the DRM and wait times hell even the lack of cheetah speed which I'm sure will be fixed. This is not a real SimCity it's a cut down facebook game charged at $70. You can't modify the terrain, can't even add subways, very restricted gaming space and the AI is completely clueless and very unsimulation like. EA took the SIM out of SimCity, but don't worry I'm sure they will happily sell it back to you over time. DO NOT BUY. Think of it as an online Simcity Societies, masquerading as the game we used to love so much. Expand
  76. Mar 5, 2013
    I haven't purchased an EA game since Mass Effect 2. Considering the sort of feedback from the considerable majority of users have given, I want to thank them for helping to keep the streak alive. Is it really too much to ask that a game for once NOT be geared towards the lowest common denominator? It's like if every movie released in the last three years were on the same level as Jack Jill.
  77. Mar 6, 2013
    No Singleplayer option Offline? What the What happened to the Sim City I loved? Also the sizes of the Citys are just laughable. It is not satisfieng in any sense. Goodbye Sim City...
  78. Mar 5, 2013
    Terrible, just terrible. And yes, the game does deserve this low score just because of the DRM. If it had the best gameplay on the world it wouldn't be worth barely 2/10 with this s**t DRM system.
  79. Mar 5, 2013
    DRM blows. Why do I need to be online to play in single player. Maps waaaaaaaay to small. Perhaps call the game SimVillage. Then there's DLC... oh come on I just paid for the game. EA have done it again. Yet another great series ruined.
  80. Mar 5, 2013
    POS. Another example of why EA is consistently in the running for most hated company in America. I was excited to try Maxis' new Sim City, but their partnership with EA has ruined it.
  81. Mar 5, 2013
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. Between the tutorial freezing, "unable to claim city" bug, and server constantly dropping connections the game was launch in an unplayable state. This is the final straw I will NEVER be buying another EA product
  82. Mar 5, 2013
    This game is disgusting. I wasted my money on it and now it is gone. I could deal with the always online drm IF the game was otherwise perfect and they allowed for a offline version to become available when they inevitably shut down the servers. Map size is too small which I have a feeling will be "fixed" by means of in game (paid) download.
  83. Mar 5, 2013
    Garbage. I have purchased every single simcity on release date, since SimCity 2000. This will be the last SimCity I ever purchase. Among my top concerns: Server issues, no offline mode, tiny towns (Is this called SimCity or SimBlock?) I saw the small towns on the beta, and I thought it was just tiny for the beta.. this is absurd..
  84. Mar 5, 2013
    Awesome launch, EA. No really...way to keep paying customers from playing your game in SINGLE PLAYER with your servers not working. And now, there's forced rollbacks due to server errors. G.G.
  85. Mar 5, 2013
    Sigh..... Why? I could be happily enjoying this game, but I am not due to the on line requirement. This has been a single player game in the past. The on line OPTION would have pleased some people, but the REQUIREMENT is just crap.
  86. Mar 5, 2013
    EA has ruined SimCity. Thanks guys for the worst game of the year all thanks to DRM.

Send money from city to city no.
    Want to play a single player game no.
  87. Mar 5, 2013
    People please do not spend your money on any more EA games, they are total BS. The company used to make good games but since 2007 something changed and EA became a greedy cash making machine. This game is so overhyped, it does not even deserve 10% of attention it is getting. Micro-transactions is just the tip of the ice berg. EA I hope you Banckrupt nice and slowly for turning your market towards 8 year old kids, who do nothing except crying out the money out of their parents wallets. SHAME ON YOU EA. Expand
  88. Mar 6, 2013
    So after spending $80 ($20 more than I should) to play this game, I was greeted with very long queue times. To play a single player game. So, okay, whatever. After waiting forever to get in the game, I started playing. I did not enjoy myself. The cities were tiny, there were limited transporation options, no terraforming you all know this by not. But, maybe it'll pick up soon, I thought. So I continued. Then the servers went down (or maybe a slight hickup on my end), and I got kicked out of the game. Due to an internet issue. In a single player game. Fine, whatever. Relaunched the game, more queues. Got pretty frustrated now, but wanted to eat least get to the meat of the game. I wanted through yet another queue, only to log in and find my city was corrupted. It was saved on their servers. Why the hell was it corrupted?

So I uninstalled and asked for a refund. Giving the game 1 star instead of 0 because I actually got one. Thanks for ruining another franchise, EA.
  89. Mar 5, 2013
    Online Only DRM breaks this game. Data does not sync that often, and you can lose hours of work if EA's servers go down or your internet connection cuts out. Servers are also currently very unstable and it's sometimes not even possible to play this game EVEN IN SINGLEPLAYER because you can't connect to the server. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME
  90. Mar 7, 2013
    The biggest Rip-Off in the history of Gaming! If EA doesn't Patch in Online instant, smart people will never ever buy a EA Game again.
    60$ for nothing! You can't even play this terrible
  91. Mar 6, 2013
    My 10 year old has finally given up on trying to get into SimCity (tenacious as he is) he just wouldn't believe me that a company would release a game he couldn' t play when he had the physical disk in his hand. Poor little guy doesn't understand corporate greed yet. I explained to him there once was a time where PC Gamers could purchase a game once, and enjoy it forever (Remember SimCity 4?). Now it looks like we've merely paid $60 to rent the opportunity to play in EA's sandbox the way they want us too. I made an effort to avoid those kids on the playground. I was excited about purchasing 3 copies so my sons and I could all play together. Now we've all decided to just share the one copy. Oh yeah, all you readers. There is even a clause right on the game CD case that states EA only needs to provide 30 days notice and then can shut down the servers for the game... until EA states otherwise, this is essentially telling you the game will be useless after that time!!! The ultra tiny maps just were the icing on the cake lol... Sorry EA. Big, Fat, Giant Fail. Since it's not possible for me to get a refund I'll just have to count on mine and the thousands (if not millions) of unhappy consumers who've taken to the blogosphere to and now you need to answer to everyone. Hopefully EA can make right. Remove the DRM (online only) play. Give us the larger maps, Let us save our games locally, let us play single player locally and let us enjoy the game for as long as we damn well please. We PAID for it!!!! Expand
  92. Mar 5, 2013
    stay far away from this one! EA has screwed game players again with this terrible game. Always online DRM, no save games, gimped gameplay and city size in favor of prettier graphics. EA and this game are everything that is wrong with the video game industry. Do not feed the beast, vote with your wallets and stay away!
  93. Mar 5, 2013
    I pay sixty bucks for this game and I can't even play it because of the stupid servers! I don't want to play multiplayer! Why can't i just play Single Player!
  94. Mar 5, 2013
    This is what you get for having an always online DRM Model: If your launch goes poorly, expect your customers to give your game a score of 0 when they are trying to play the game but are forced to write reviews on metacritic instead of playing what they paid for. It does not matter how good your product is if you fail to deliver it on time or intact.

Your cities are at the mercy of EA's
    benevolence and server stability, neither of which they possess. If their servers go down, your cities do not save and you receive a large roll-back; that's if you can log back in to begin with. Launch day has been very bad, despite EA's numerous assurances they would be able to handle the load. They refused to let players pre-launch the game, for no explicable reason, so many customers have not even downloaded the product due yet. The cities spaces are very small. It forces you to use multiple regions by yourself, or play with others in order to have an efficient metropolis. You cannot modify the terrain in any way. You cannot un-do, quick-save or quick-load. Expand
  95. Mar 5, 2013
    I wish this game was released as a standalone game, I was looking forward to playing both Battlefield 3 and Sim City 5. The requirements are unreasonable for me, being always online, the servers having enough capacity for me to play when and where I want. What happens when there is lag? When the number of cities you can have gets limited artificially? When they shut down the servers?

Maybe they should focus on making good games, instead of trying to figure out what is the best way to make money from day one with DLC.

I'm never installing origin or a game that uses it.
  96. Mar 5, 2013
    Everyone has been talking about the online always DRM, which is a terrible business practice. I want to talk about the gameplay. The city size is absolutely horrendous. They might as well have renamed the game to SimTown, because you will never get a fun and thriving metropolis like you had in SimCity 4. They day 1 DLC is another absolute terror. This game is not SimCity, its Facebooks Cityville with better graphics. Expand
  97. Mar 5, 2013
    this is a shame. simcity is a good game. however, greed has got to EA. the game is expensive to buy, must be used online, and in reality is nothing more that an online store for you to buy more and more DLC over the years. give this a miss i could forgive it if the games were free.
  98. Mar 5, 2013
    Unfortunately the game crashes while loading, so I can't really comment on what remains merely theoretical gameplay. I should also mention that I installed it on two different systems, both running MANY other games successfully. Without any response (at all) from EA, I can only conclude they released it prematurely. Too bad too, since I'm a long time SimCity fan.
  99. Mar 5, 2013
    I've played games all my life. I still remember finding Space Invaders in the Montreal airport on way to a family vacation. This game and install have been the worst I have ever encountered. I can see crappy software but crappy software that has hooped my entire PC is shocking.
  100. Mar 6, 2013
    The game is completely unplayable. Can't create a city, can't join an already existing game, can't run the tutorial... this isn't just a launch day issue. This is second day. I didn't pay money to wait to play. Waste of time.
  101. Mar 5, 2013

Given enough patches and DCLs, SimCity might eventually become the game that should have been on its release and justify the ambiguous choices that its developers made. [May 2013]
  2. May 9, 2013
    Hints at great things but is limited by small cities and promises it can't deliver on. [June 2013, p.80]
  3. May 9, 2013
    There's more problems with this game than I have words. Looks great though. [June 2013, p.80]