2.2

1. Mar 5, 2013
    Bought the game online, it installed quickly. I played for about an hour and witnessed a few bugs, but nothing gamebreaking. Then I was notified I was disconnected from the server and the game crashed. I have been trying off and on for 4+ hours trying to reconnect to play. The game is not finished and the servers cannot handle the numbers trying to play. Terrible job. This is why I rarelyBought the game online, it installed quickly. I played for about an hour and witnessed a few bugs, but nothing gamebreaking. Then I was notified I was disconnected from the server and the game crashed. I have been trying off and on for 4+ hours trying to reconnect to play. The game is not finished and the servers cannot handle the numbers trying to play. Terrible job. This is why I rarely buy an EA title, and now I doubt I ever will again. Expand
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    Love the SimCity games and the review are looking good. I would have bought this game but I'm not going to pay money for a always online single player game. I made that mistake with Diablo 3 already. You lost my money.
  3. Mar 5, 2013
    I think there might be a good game behind the servers frequently crashing and completely losing my city, the 30 minute queues to play a single-player game, the inability to actually save so that a crash doesn't erase your city, having to install Origin on your computer, and having to always be online to play a single-player game. Too bad I can't see the game behind all of this filth.
  4. Mar 12, 2013
    This isn't a "game". It is a $60 paperweight that comes in a nice fancy box. That is all there is to it. This is what happens when developers force us to constantly be online for a single player game. Several days we cannot play, and this issue probably wont resolve itself for a while. Also, suppose 5 or 10 years down the line we want to play simcity, do we get to? are your servers goingThis isn't a "game". It is a $60 paperweight that comes in a nice fancy box. That is all there is to it. This is what happens when developers force us to constantly be online for a single player game. Several days we cannot play, and this issue probably wont resolve itself for a while. Also, suppose 5 or 10 years down the line we want to play simcity, do we get to? are your servers going to remain up for that long? possibly even longer? For people who bought this game, let this be a lesson, do NOT support developers that force DRM onto single player games, don't buy another EA game, and when their wallets get lighter, they will listen. These greedy bastards listen to their quarterly reports, not their customers. Expand
  5. Mar 12, 2013
    I've been so so stupid... As a Sim City lover I just bought that game blindly. How can I be such an idiot? I bought blindly Heroes of Might and Magic 6 and it was awful. I bought blindly Diablo 3 and it was disappointing. I bought Civilization V and it was the most terrible video game decision I made up to now... It's the fourth time one of my favourite franchise as been just DESTROYED.I've been so so stupid... As a Sim City lover I just bought that game blindly. How can I be such an idiot? I bought blindly Heroes of Might and Magic 6 and it was awful. I bought blindly Diablo 3 and it was disappointing. I bought Civilization V and it was the most terrible video game decision I made up to now... It's the fourth time one of my favourite franchise as been just DESTROYED. Why the game is so crap? How can someone fail in making a great SimCity? I mean... How is this possible? I'm not talking about DRM, internet only connections and so forth... I mean: how can somebody be able to consciously screw a franchise that every single time one game was released was getting more and more subtle, intrusting? Well... They did it... How then? Take the wonderful (but perfectible) SimCity 4. Make the map 10 times smaller, and take out everything that means "managing something" in that game... I mean, it's incredible. They managed to make a game where you have to think less than in Sim City on Super Nintendo... They did it!!!!!!!! They made a game where you make 1 powerplant, some Water towers, 20 blocks of buildings and that's it... Ok, graphics are fantastic, bit that's it. I won't even talk about multiplayer, projects and so on. I'm talking about the fact that this game should be called "SimTown" or "SimVillage" or even "SimNothing"... It's a REAL shame... Expand
  6. Mar 7, 2013
    Do you have any idea how horribly depressing it is to come onto this site and review this game, a game I have waited years for, from a developer that I adore with all my heart, and blast the absolute crap out of it. But what option do we have? EA needs to make this right, in a big, big way. Until then, I still think this game is the bees knees, but the release and server side issuesDo you have any idea how horribly depressing it is to come onto this site and review this game, a game I have waited years for, from a developer that I adore with all my heart, and blast the absolute crap out of it. But what option do we have? EA needs to make this right, in a big, big way. Until then, I still think this game is the bees knees, but the release and server side issues combine to create the worst release in gaming history. Without a shadow of a doubt... I hope Maxis doesn;t get blasted for this, because this is ALL on EA. Expand
  7. Mar 5, 2013
    I suggest that people ignore those ridiculously positive scores from critics as they are likely biased. When then game first launched I was able to play for a few hours and I was addicted. For the most part the game was fun and interesting, except there are some bugs like poor vehicle paths and unnecessary traffic congestion that can't be resolved without a patch from EA.. The majorI suggest that people ignore those ridiculously positive scores from critics as they are likely biased. When then game first launched I was able to play for a few hours and I was addicted. For the most part the game was fun and interesting, except there are some bugs like poor vehicle paths and unnecessary traffic congestion that can't be resolved without a patch from EA.. The major problem is that this game requires a constant connection to EA servers. Tonight I got home from work to play and I could not connect to the game in my region. Granted- all internet based games seem to have high traffic on launch. But this type of game shouldn't even require an online connection to play sandbox modes. Since I am not able to play in the the North American region, I decided to try the European regions. When I connected and started playing I was forced to play the tutorial (you cannot skip it) which was somehow bugged because the game puts me into the tutorial region but none of the menu's or actions are available. So not only can I NOT play the game offline in a sandbox style mode, but even when I connect, I am forced to play a tutorial scenario that is bugged to where I can't progress past and cannot be skipped. I truly enjoyed playing this game last night but these Online-DRMs NEED TO GO! Also there needs to be a way to skip the tutorial.. EA has published games long enough to know better than this. So far I am disappointed. Expand
  8. Mar 5, 2013
    I love the actual game for the most part, but the fact that this is a game that should have been single player and now I just can't plain play I have to give this at best a 3. Maxis did a wonderful job and I have no doubt that EA forced this BS always online drm from the start and the multiplayer aspect. Always online has been, and continues to be a terrible idea.
  9. Mar 5, 2013
    It's brilliant!!
    The game design was helped by a city planner and it shows. You never stop having fun with it. I loved every single minute of playing it!
  10. Mar 5, 2013
    Though I did play the BETA for 1hr, I liked what I was able to create, the game itself was very pleasing to the eyes and the features/functions were nice... BUT the reason I gave it a lower score of 5 is because I cannot play the game I bought. This is like D3 all over again and I was hoping that a large company like EA would see the folly that Blizzard had, I was wrong.

So I will only

So I will only five this a 5 review and nothing more. I think I may have regrets.
  11. Kel
    Mar 5, 2013
    This game brings back the charm and magic of the SimCity series. It truly is a game worthy of the name, unlike the SimCity Societies and various DS/Wii titles. I was wary of the online only thing when I first heard about it, but I think it was done very well and it is not some 'Facebook game' as others have said. The interactions between cities is nothing like the spam your friendsThis game brings back the charm and magic of the SimCity series. It truly is a game worthy of the name, unlike the SimCity Societies and various DS/Wii titles. I was wary of the online only thing when I first heard about it, but I think it was done very well and it is not some 'Facebook game' as others have said. The interactions between cities is nothing like the spam your friends nonsense and micro-transactions to build things of value. Everything is there to build fully functional cities and the interactions between the cities is amazing. The deals between neighbors are sweet that they use up the excess of power, water, water treatment, and other services to make money for one city and save the other one the cost of building the services. If the mayor selling services wants to they can increase capacity to make sure that the other city will have enough or they can shut down capacity and make the other mayor find a different way to meet their city's needs.
    Region play can be either open to the public or private with just friends or only by yourself. You can work together to make thriving cities and great works. The interactions between the cities is very nice and detailed and has been stated by the developers during interviews, lays the groundwork for even more amazing regions and larger cities in the future. Right now though, the game is balanced very well for meaningful decisions in each city that affect the surrounding region and the small city sizes seem to actually be more meaningful than just a large urban sprawl with everything possible built into it.
    Overall it has personality and charm between the names of the sims, houses, businesses, and factories and the general atmosphere and mood of the game. The music and visuals change as your city changes in amazing ways.
  12. Mar 5, 2013
    Personally I haven't had as much fun playing in years. No I couldn't download at 12.01 but my pre-order told me 5th of March. I downloaded in minutes this morning, and when I had some free time today (which is still the 5th of March lol) I managed 3 hours of extremely enjoyable, uninterrupted playtime. No bugs, no crashes, just fun.
  13. Mar 5, 2013
    People say that you can't review a game if you haven't played it... but being able to play is an absolute criteria to be able to review. Even the tutorial doesn't work. Would I be wrong to give a car a bad review because it doesn't start? You should be allowed to create regions locally and have your own pc keep track of single player regions. Doing that alone would reduce a great deal ofPeople say that you can't review a game if you haven't played it... but being able to play is an absolute criteria to be able to review. Even the tutorial doesn't work. Would I be wrong to give a car a bad review because it doesn't start? You should be allowed to create regions locally and have your own pc keep track of single player regions. Doing that alone would reduce a great deal of load on the servers, not everyone is looking to create a region with 10 other people. Expand
  14. Mar 5, 2013
    The game is good but it's not working. All those magazine/review you see didn't take into account the fact that the servers are not able to cope with the current load. Which means you get disconnected or, worst, your cities get corrupted and are unplayable.
  15. Mar 5, 2013
    Unskippable tutorial that doesn't run correctly. Completely unplayable. I understand that glitches happen in games, but I'm sick and tired of this garbage getting released while clearly under tested.
  16. Mar 5, 2013
    Can't play single player because you have to have a connection to the server. Brilliant. I hope heads are rolling at EA. So concerned about "piracy" you make game play impossible for cash paying customers. Super smart.
  17. Mar 5, 2013
    Impossible to rate above a 0 because the game is impossible to play.

Get kicked off because the servers are down. Unable to create new cities on different servers due to a vague error.
  18. Mar 5, 2013
    great game, runs smooth, excellent graphics and well tuned game mechanics.

great game, runs smooth, excellent graphics and well tuned game mechanics.

HOWEVER with the way DRM is worked into it, you can't play w/o an internet connection, which is a pain in and of itself, but if EA's servers are down or overloaded (like now, at launch) you can't play the game at all. it will also randomly delete your regions and cities that are not saved at all locally, so there is no way to recover them.

great game hampered by a complete waste of a distribution/play model. i'm getting a refund.
  19. Mar 5, 2013
    Sad, just sad. Zero depth compared to SimCity 4, or even SimCity 2000! Puny cities, no offline mode, none of the complexity of a SimCity. I loved this game until this horrific game came out. I only wish I could get my money back from Origin. I hope EA properly responds to this tragic game by recalling this game and starting over from scratch with a competent team!!!
  20. Mar 5, 2013
    To deserve a rating higher than zero only requires the game to function. EA has reached new levels of incompetence, I'm ashamed to have wasted money on another one of their nonfunctional abortions of games. If there's a line for refunds, point me to it.
  21. Mar 5, 2013
    This game is terrible. Actually, I don't really know if the game is terrible or not since I haven't been able to play it. EA's decision to make me play online the entire time has made it impossible to play the game at all as the servers are busy. And when I sign in it makes me do a tutorial that I cannot even do as the controls are grayed out. So my tutorial is me just sitting thereThis game is terrible. Actually, I don't really know if the game is terrible or not since I haven't been able to play it. EA's decision to make me play online the entire time has made it impossible to play the game at all as the servers are busy. And when I sign in it makes me do a tutorial that I cannot even do as the controls are grayed out. So my tutorial is me just sitting there waiting for something to happen. I LOVED SimCity 3000 and was so excited about this game, but now I am really disappointed that I bought this game at all. Maybe someone will let me know if this game is fun or not once they get a chance to play it. Expand
  22. Mar 5, 2013
    Very unhappy with my purchase. Can't even play the game. Server let me on, but won't let me actually create a city or play. The game itself might be fun, if only it would let me play.
  23. Mar 5, 2013
    This game does not run for me at all. The server is listed as available. But when I go to create my city it states that it cannot be claimed. Does not matter the server I am on.
  24. Mar 5, 2013
    Surely EA can do no wrong? That's a wrong statement there. Sim City needs to be online to work in the first place. I got about 10 minutes offline before it gave me error about not being connected online. Aren't Sim City games normally single player and can be played offline? Seriously EA, get a grip.
  25. Mar 5, 2013
    The idea that we don't have an option to turn off online play seems like someone made a mistake. I beta tested on the 2nd and 3rd runs and realized very quickly that the space allowed to build on was out of touch with previous releases. I am a long time city player and I have to say the whole game has lost it's interest. I can fill up a city in an hour, where is the strategy in that? IThe idea that we don't have an option to turn off online play seems like someone made a mistake. I beta tested on the 2nd and 3rd runs and realized very quickly that the space allowed to build on was out of touch with previous releases. I am a long time city player and I have to say the whole game has lost it's interest. I can fill up a city in an hour, where is the strategy in that? I know on release day they are going to have glitches and such but when you add the variable of servers, whoa the experience sucks. Many of the servers are in BUSY and when I did get on as soon as I get to the point of naming the city the game stops responding. Super annoying! Expand
  26. Mar 6, 2013
    Small city sizes makes the game not true to the simcity series. In addition, the always on connection required with servers that cannot handle the loads just further drops the ball. Maxis had a great idea, great game plan, great foundation, but failed to deliver with the execution of the final simcity game. I call it the final, because they will lose a lot of long time fans of the seriesSmall city sizes makes the game not true to the simcity series. In addition, the always on connection required with servers that cannot handle the loads just further drops the ball. Maxis had a great idea, great game plan, great foundation, but failed to deliver with the execution of the final simcity game. I call it the final, because they will lose a lot of long time fans of the series with this one. Expand
  27. Mar 6, 2013
    The Good: Beautiful game, good soundtrack, they added a lot of cool new features since Sim City 4 and went away from the train wreck that was 'Societies'.

The Bad: Tiny, little maps. I want to build a massive, pollution-belching metropolis like in SC4, but you can't. You are limited to the same sized Cities as in 'Societies'. With all the great features implemented in this title there is no room to use them. The game also requires that be online to play, unfortunately EA didn't plan for the launch. I've spent more time trying to play than actually playing. In trying to load one of my 4 Cities it reports that I cannot due to the servers being down. Maxis is a good developer, at least they were until they got gobbled-up by EA. I will certainly think twice before buying any additional EA titles in the future. It's clear that they care less about your gaming experience then they do about your dollar.
  28. Mar 7, 2013
    Day-1 DLC:Check. Always online DRM:Check. Forced to use Origin spyware: Check. Dumbed down mechanics and removed features: Check.
    This is one of the worst pieces of garbage gaming has put out in the last few years, shame on EA, MAXIS, and anyone who gives this game a good rating.Nice bribes, EA.
  29. Mar 12, 2013
    There is so much wrong with the game, how to begin? I will just iterate the bad items (none of which have to do with the server problems they claim they will fix or their DRM)
    1) Road placement in large grids is frequently buggy, meaning exact placements cant be made
    2) At random points in the game large game logic failovers happen (i.e. no matter how many trash centers you place you cannot clear more than 33% of the trash)
    3) It is impossible to control zoning sizes or density of a giving area
    4) You cannot farm
    5) Map sizes are limited to very small areas !!!!
    6) You cannot pass ordinances, edict or other logic based controls
    7) There are no subways
    8) Map overylays (while cool) are very limited
    9) No local single player mode exists (nor saving to your local machine)
    10) lack of ruler based descisions on custom sized grids
    11) no terraforming (your stuck with whatever land shape you have got.)
    12) graphics quality is very low, textures on models are unexciting (i.e. farmville quality)
    on... and on... and on... dont buy it.... It should be a free to play game, and if it were released by anybody but a major game company that would be the only model where this could succeed.
  30. Mar 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Good: Simcity has very good graphics. The data overlays are beautiful. Construction looks realistic. Nonrenewable resources add a new and interesting flavor to the game. Multiplayer regions with multiple cities online add a new and very fun flavor. There are new disasters which look and play realistically, have unexpected effects on your city. You can now build curving roads and road/road overpasses. Roads now govern your buildings density. There is a good selection of different buildings. The Bad: -Serverside
    Always-Online DRM means that you have to have a stable internet connection; the slightest hiccup in your internet will result in the game crashing and you losing hours of game play. The servers are horrible; most of them are either "busy" or "full", meaning that you can't play at all. They also crash often. Server capacity is abysmal. There is no "offline" option for single player games. All saves must be synced with EA's cloud servers; you cannot have any local saves on your hard drive. -Clientside
    Buildings often look half finished and devoid of color or decoration; it is clear that this was an unfinished product that was rushed out. City sizes are limited to approx. 2km x 2km; slightly smaller then the smallest map size on Simcity 4. Buildings cannot be placed anywhere where they are not adjacent to a road; you can no longer fill in the interior of city blocks with parks/etc. Some graphics appear half finished, i.e. grass showing through a road, dirt overlapping on a road, or jagged/flickering graphics. The game is slow to respond to neighbor deals, such as sending power or sewage to a neighbor. Parks look like they're made with astroturf. Waves/beaches look unrealistic. Zones are aligned on a road and cannot be expanded to show the entire zone; this makes planning for city blocks very difficult. There is no subway, elevated rail, monorail, or highways available to be built. Agriculture/farms have been completely removed from the game. It was not designed to be compatible with player-designed mods. Overall:
    This game had the potential to be something great, to be a truly awesome game. But with the forced DRM limitations EA has imposed on us, as well as the horrifying state of their servers, this game has become yet another destined for the bookshelf. Maxis outdid itself with bringing new ideas, concepts, and operations into the game, but with the client-side limitations such as city sizes and lack of transportation options, not to mention the server-side DRM, the game is effectively crippled. Bluntly, I can not recommend this game to anyone. One can only hope that EA will listed to the community and fix what is wrong.

Pentium Core i7 4.2 ghz OC
    32gb DDR-3 Kingston HyperX RAM
    3 x EVGA GTX 680 2gb SLI'd
    OCZ Octane 1tb SSD
  31. Mar 12, 2013
    If I cannot play a "single-player" game whenever I want to, it doesn't matter how good or bad the game is, it becomes a worthless and defective product.
  32. Mar 12, 2013
    massive screwup from EA and Maxis. First the servers were screwed, then after playing for about 20hrs each of my cities ends up bugged and I cant play them anymore. Never again will I preorder a EA game. Such a shame this had so much potential...
  33. Mar 13, 2013
    Why are they still selling a broken game, they should stop selling copies of this broken game and fix the server problems, allow people to play offline, and increase the city size. If they solve these issues then start selling the game again. If not then they should refund everyone that paid for a copy of the game and resign from the game making business. This is the worst launch of aWhy are they still selling a broken game, they should stop selling copies of this broken game and fix the server problems, allow people to play offline, and increase the city size. If they solve these issues then start selling the game again. If not then they should refund everyone that paid for a copy of the game and resign from the game making business. This is the worst launch of a video game in recent history and everyone saw in coming except for the development team or they just did not care. I am a long long time fan of simcity games and this is the first one I HATE. Expand
  34. Mar 13, 2013
    Besindes the server problems and all, don't people see that EA makes fun of us all? They want to sell us a game with features it doesn't have at all.

Look: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Miscellaneous-Issues/Traffic-quot-AI-quot-This-is-why-services-and-traffic-are-broken/m-p/737060#U737060 There are no Sims living in your town. They are just mindless bots, going to the next free house

Look:

There are no Sims living in your town. They are just mindless bots, going to the next free house and the next free shop and the next free working place. And this is why this game has so much flaws. Traffic jams, empty shops and casinos altough everything is full.

If you build a car lot besides a casino, no sim will go into the casino. They will take the bus to the next free shop. This game is mindless like any other EA games of the early past. Don't buy this stuff.
  35. Mar 13, 2013
    This game is fundamentally broken on almost all levels. AI is oversimplified and a hindrance to game advancement. Online only functionality is not worth the restrictions. Players end up with a tiny generic city that becomes more and more frustrating to grow. This game is a massive disappointment, even beyond the restrictive DRM and launch issues. This will be the last EA game I willThis game is fundamentally broken on almost all levels. AI is oversimplified and a hindrance to game advancement. Online only functionality is not worth the restrictions. Players end up with a tiny generic city that becomes more and more frustrating to grow. This game is a massive disappointment, even beyond the restrictive DRM and launch issues. This will be the last EA game I will purchase, no matter what the name of the studio they assimilate. Because, that studio is only a name. None of the original Maxis seems to exist in this product. I hope this serves as a lesson to the game industry and its consumers. Expand
  36. Mar 12, 2013
    I had to play in the "Antartic" server, coz this is the only up to play. After three hours playing, the server went down and now im unable to play since the last 5 hours. What a joke this DRM.
  37. Mar 7, 2013
    To be honest, the game itself is nice but Electronic Arts is like a baby that is not interessted in learning from its misstakes. I give this game to lowest scor to continue drop the rating!
  38. Mar 5, 2013
    Cons:
    Took 45 minutes after the game was supposed to be released before I could download it.
    3 Crashes which made the game lose some of my progress and an entire city. City size feels cramped. No offline play. People tend to go broke/afk/abandon citys in public games and it takes a while for someone to reclaim it. Pros: Best SimCity to date. Great tutorial for new players.
    Cons:
    3 Crashes which made the game lose some of my progress and an entire city.
    City size feels cramped.
    No offline play.

Pros:
    Best SimCity to date.
    Great tutorial for new players.
    Multiplayer is tons of fun.
    Game is not an easy snooze fest.
    The attention to detail is amazing on the buildings.
    Tons of customizability.
    The data layer maps are sweet.
    Regions are very dynamic, the interaction between citys is amazing and brings the genre to a whole new level.
  39. Mar 19, 2013
    Always on connection and server problems are bad but they'll be fixed. The worst thing about the game, and something that not many people have even acknowledged is the map size: it's stupidly small!! I had pretty much accomplished everything I wanted to within a few hours and filled every square inch of land. And no, it's called 'Simcity', not 'Simcities' so I don't want to have to make aAlways on connection and server problems are bad but they'll be fixed. The worst thing about the game, and something that not many people have even acknowledged is the map size: it's stupidly small!! I had pretty much accomplished everything I wanted to within a few hours and filled every square inch of land. And no, it's called 'Simcity', not 'Simcities' so I don't want to have to make a whole lot of small crappy cities and have them 'interconnected'. They just had to make a slightly updated and better version of Simcity 4 and they would of made millions of people happy, and millions of dollars. Why reboot what's not broken?? Expand
  40. Mar 7, 2013
    Programmed as quick money grab with poor game mechanics. If you can play this game at all because of the poor always online servers you'll find yourself in an oversimplified version of SimCity 4 with comical graphics. This game takes you by the hand and does the thinking for you. Being Mayor of a city? More like being major dump!
  41. Mar 26, 2013
    This game is terrible I don't recommend it to anyone. Any game with always-online DRM should be avoided at all costs, it never works out and just frustrates the customers. I shouldn't be forced to be online to play a SINGLE player game!!! And the max size of the city is way too small. Go play SimCity 4 or 3000 they're much better than this steaming pile.
  42. Mar 13, 2013
    Game is totally and utterly broken. I don't think they can fix it.

Code on your PC is open. They actually call the variable representing your population 'FudgedPopulation'.
  43. Mar 9, 2013
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME You can't actually play it!

Remember Spore, Another massive Maxis release where anyone who bought the game couldn't play for 3 days while everyone pirated it could.

Well they learnt their lesson, this time round have have made sure NO ONE can play it.
  44. Mar 12, 2013
    And yet another reason why DRM is a failed concept. Too bad though, despite my already negative opinion of EA, i might have probably bought this game sometime in the future. Instead of making quality games more affordable and accessible, EA's idea of fighting piracy is to make the game unplayable as a whole. You people could learn a thing or two from valve, since most of us have several,And yet another reason why DRM is a failed concept. Too bad though, despite my already negative opinion of EA, i might have probably bought this game sometime in the future. Instead of making quality games more affordable and accessible, EA's idea of fighting piracy is to make the game unplayable as a whole. You people could learn a thing or two from valve, since most of us have several, if not dozens of games installed on steam, all purchased legally. Another sad thing is that while this is happening, EA just started pulling more features from simcity as a way to make ammends for this god awful failure. I think we will all be expecting these features pulled to be released in a DLC for 19.99 later on in the future... Expand
  45. Mar 12, 2013
    After trying to play this game for days, I gave up. This is the problem with EA, they cripple games so much that they are totally unusable. I remember thinking "I should not support EA", but I was so looking forward to a SimCity reboot that I didn't care. Turns out that I should have trusted my gut. This was a total waste of money.
  46. Mar 7, 2013
    Good gameplay, directed to teamplay with friends. Best simcity, of all. About connection i have only one trouble today, becouse game have realeased in Europe, so i cant play for 3 hours. But, previously i have played 2 days without disc and problems, and now i playing without problems. So, 1010.
  47. Mar 12, 2013
    The score of EA is always 0, Un-installed Origin few months after Fifa12.
    I'll never buy EA games again, and i'm sorry, i can't play SimCity but if a take a look, to the amazing score in red, I do not mind at all.
    EA always buy "Critic Reviews", so this type of journalism is for kids. Pathetic ... Thanks to Gabe Newell and Steam, If the perspectives of PC gaming are really
    The score of EA is always 0, Un-installed Origin few months after Fifa12.

Thanks to Gabe Newell and Steam, If the perspectives of PC gaming are really different than a few years ago.

In the while EA ask 80$ for an epic fail since day 1, just as evidence of how ridiculous they are. I hope that everyone, sooner or later, will be aware of this.

We should have a zero-tolerance and boycott any software which is essentially an $80 rental that comes with intrusive spyware, always-online DRM.

Who buy EA is a mup.pet.
  48. Mar 12, 2013
    As many others have stated, this could have been a great game. The developer (Maxis) and publisher (EA) had probably from the beginning planned for always-online DRM. That is, in order to play the game by yourself you must have a constant secure connection to EA's server. This puts you at the mercy of EA's hardware & IT team, something that is beyond yourAs many others have stated, this could have been a great game. The developer (Maxis) and publisher (EA) had probably from the beginning planned for always-online DRM. That is, in order to play the game by yourself you must have a constant secure connection to EA's server. This puts you at the mercy of EA's hardware & IT team, something that is beyond your control.---------------------------------------------------

Released on March 5th, it is now late afternoon March 12th and there are still major server issues. I am currently on West Coast 4 and am getting long que times trying to join, and it isn't even peak hours on the west coast. I can only assume the load will increase as most people get off work and arrive home in the next hour or two.--------------------------------------------------------

SimCity has traditionally been a single player game many people like to play around in for hundreds of real time hours. Since SimCity is "always multiplayer", in order to play by ones self you must create a region and set it to "Private" mode where only you or invited friends can join. The whole idea of that is counter-intuitive in the fullest. Instead of a traditional "Single Player" and "Multiplayer" button on the main menu that has worked for decades, Maxis forces you to click "Play" and enter the multiplayer screen. Someone not that initiated into how games work will find it frustrating to start a singleplayer game even though the "single player" is technically classified as private multiplayer.----------------------------------------

Maxis & EA are in full damage control public relations mode, all cheery smiles and apologies. Sadly, a large portion of the previously angry customer-base was easily bought with the offer of a free game. Instead of bombarding EA & Maxis with thousands of angry letters & emails demanding the removal of Online DRM and "Always multiplayer" nature of SimCity, they instead were bought off for around $60 and are now towing the line. They seem to think that companies releasing unfinished or highly flawed/untested products is A-ok, as long as they "pinky swear" to fix the game which the timeframe is never admitted. It could be 1 month or even two months before a game is fixed, but there will still be that large group of customers with unyielding blind faith, always ready to defend the happy, cheery gaming company that just recieved 60+ dollars from them for a buggy, non-working product.----------------------------- If you are wondering why game developers and publishers are getting away with extremely sloppy business practices, you need only look at the modern gamer. The customers are the problem because they do not vote with their wallets and protest in writing.--------------------------When you buy a new car, it usually comes with some kind of warranty. If your transmission for example blows seconds after your off the lot, they will replace it for free immediately. Conversely, you expect the car to be 100% working properly and built correctly when you buy it, and every car manufacturer does everything possible to make sure that happens long before you fork over the cash. The same MUST be true for all products or services. Mistakes do happen, but things of the magnitude of SimCity do not just happen accidentally. Someone somewhere made the decision that lower costs were more worth it than a working game. There will likely be bugs on all release of games, but we have the right to demand that their game work properly. In SimCity's case, it does not even work at all.-------------- Don't believe the public relations spin and the attempt to buy your sympathy and loyalty back. If you have any principles at all, for god sakes please make your integrity one of them. Show EA/Maxis that no, you cannot be simply be bought for $60. Demand they remove Online DRM, demand a deserved true Single Player, among various other small things.------ I rated this a 3 out of 10, only because in the extremely short time I have played the actual game, it is well done. Probably the biggest sadness of all is that underneath these unacceptable business practices, a good development team has produced a pretty awesome game.
  49. Mar 5, 2013
    DON'T LISTEN TO THE BAD REVIEWSssss!!!!!!! The game is awesome, if u love the old Simcities then there is no reason u shouldn't love this one, all this stupid talk about the DMR is for people who don't understand the difference between hating a game and hating its publisher, if ur a real computer gamer and live in this era u should have no problem being online all the time, and as forDON'T LISTEN TO THE BAD REVIEWSssss!!!!!!! The game is awesome, if u love the old Simcities then there is no reason u shouldn't love this one, all this stupid talk about the DMR is for people who don't understand the difference between hating a game and hating its publisher, if ur a real computer gamer and live in this era u should have no problem being online all the time, and as for origin, I haven't seen a problem with it and it been playing the game for 9 hours. Yea maps are a little smaller, but the interaction between the region proves exactly why that is. Instead of building a city and dumping it, this type of game play gives each city purpose and a direction, making it way more in depth then controlling one big city. Expand
  50. Mar 5, 2013
    Such a great game. Everything is perfect! you dont wanna miss this. Graphics are amazing as usual and the gameplay makes you want to keep coming back. Playing with friends is the best experience but alone is great to. you have to get it.
  51. Mar 5, 2013
    While I would love to give it a 10 to help balance out the ridiculous knee jerk reaction of the mob, I have standards and ethics. I enjoy the game, I understand the problems but do believe they should have been anticipated and planned for. There are features like one way roads and overpasses that are important to citybuilding that aren't included.

However its a deep game, the simulation

However its a deep game, the simulation is beautiful and it satisfies my inner nerd. Here's to hope that they continue to put genuine effort into it without money gouging for DLC too much.
  52. Mar 5, 2013
    Alright lets be realistic here, this game isn't even remotely close to a 5/10, as shown by the critics. This review forum is filled with more immature reviewers having a temper tantrum then anything else, And why would you complain that it requires an internet connection when it even advises you that in the description and on the box itself, but they didn't read that. Either way completelyAlright lets be realistic here, this game isn't even remotely close to a 5/10, as shown by the critics. This review forum is filled with more immature reviewers having a temper tantrum then anything else, And why would you complain that it requires an internet connection when it even advises you that in the description and on the box itself, but they didn't read that. Either way completely disregard what all these other reviewers say as the game is quite refreshing, it's been 10 years since the last one and it couldn't come any sooner. They also added a lot more and fixed many things from the previous games, like the road placement. The glassbox engine is neat, very little flaws and neat as you can see and interact with all the sims in the game. One of the biggest complaint is the server itself, i can almost guarantee if the publisher see's heavy log on rates they are just bound to increase it. The maps are indeed small but that's nothing to complain about as they have already promised bigger maps, and they will likely be free to heal the wounds of these hurt fanboys. So far it plays nicely and there are plenty of things to be done as well, lots of fun i might add. The save feature is lacked but have patience everyone. And most importantly, the internet itself. We live in a day and age where we could walk up and down the street and connect to at least 15 different wifi networks, password protected or not. Origin indeed sucks but ive gotten used to it at this point and frankly its not that bad, but when you put it up to heavyweights like Steam which have a crazy amount of innovative tools it's nothing. Yes it would be nice to have been on steam but the game is incredible and hats off to Maxis for the incredible game. Disregard the immature folk and just work on the flaws. Collapse
  53. Mar 5, 2013
    So there are less basic features then previous Sim City games (seriously no subways). Cities are capped at stupidly small sizes (who want's to build a megalopolis anyway). It is a single player game with forced multiplayer and an always on internet drm, this is not a MMO there is ZERO need for a constant connection. Wanna play when your internet is down, too bad. Want to play when EA'sSo there are less basic features then previous Sim City games (seriously no subways). Cities are capped at stupidly small sizes (who want's to build a megalopolis anyway). It is a single player game with forced multiplayer and an always on internet drm, this is not a MMO there is ZERO need for a constant connection. Wanna play when your internet is down, too bad. Want to play when EA's servers are down for maintenance, so sorry. Want to play while you are stuck on a family camping trip in the middle of nowhere, hope you like singing Kumbaya. Basically you are paying $60 for a game that you do not own, you are streaming the game when EA will let you. I won't even go into the fiasco of EA being too incompetent to allow the game to be preloaded on systems that pre-purchased the game. DO NOT BUY THIS. Do not support always on DRM. You want a good Sim City game, buy Sim City 4. I am playing it right now. Expand
  54. Mar 12, 2013
    Aside from all the server problems, the stupidly implemented DRM always online for a single player game etc etc ...

In contrast with other iterations of the game, this SimCity maxes out. There are no long term objectives you might have. You can max out your city in 4 hours, create another one, max it out in another 4 hours ad infinitum. Whereas you could spend months tweaking your

Whereas you could spend months tweaking your cities in other versions, the replay value of this title gets old and boring REALLY fast & it all has to do with the size of the cities. It's a fantastic casual game (blah), not a full fledged SimCity like you were used to.
  55. Mar 5, 2013
    Th game itself by Maxis is pretty good and probably worth roughly 40-50$. The origin connection makes the game non-playable (literally 100$ non playable), late release access and thus completely worthless.

Thank you EA for taking 80$ from me for something I can't play.

Strongly recommend you do NOT buy this game. Grim
  56. Mar 5, 2013
    I was able to play all of an hour of Sim City tonight. And from what I played? It's a great game.

What's NOT great is always on DRM and EA's inability to learn simple lessons from this past year *cough* Diablo 3 *cough cough* Got booted out of my region after trying to SWITCH CITIES within the same region I was already in. Apparently the server had become quite fool. And sure, I can

Got booted out of my region after trying to SWITCH CITIES within the same region I was already in. Apparently the server had become quite fool. And sure, I can switch to another one...but how often am I going to play on Oceania when I'm in NY?
  57. Mar 5, 2013
    Let's talk about the fact that the game itself is pretty fun. However there are a pile of bugs. I'd like to give it a awesome score and say; hey 'this was amazing. But you know I can't do that BECAUSE I CAN'T LOG INTO THE GAME. If I can't play the game; I can't rate it. I had 2 hours last night after I bought the DELUX edition to play and now I can't even enjoy that. Huzzah 80Let's talk about the fact that the game itself is pretty fun. However there are a pile of bugs. I'd like to give it a awesome score and say; hey 'this was amazing. But you know I can't do that BECAUSE I CAN'T LOG INTO THE GAME. If I can't play the game; I can't rate it. I had 2 hours last night after I bought the DELUX edition to play and now I can't even enjoy that. Huzzah 80 buckeroos for something I can't use. Expand
  58. Mar 5, 2013
    Created an account just to sign this petition of pissed-off users. Since I cannot even use this game when promised, I give it a zero. I decided to be generous and give it a 1; you do have pretty pictures of what I think the game will look like. Too bad pictures on a website and a launcher that doesn't launch is all I get for my cash. MAXIS, you have my $60 and I have 30 gigs of wastedCreated an account just to sign this petition of pissed-off users. Since I cannot even use this game when promised, I give it a zero. I decided to be generous and give it a 1; you do have pretty pictures of what I think the game will look like. Too bad pictures on a website and a launcher that doesn't launch is all I get for my cash. MAXIS, you have my $60 and I have 30 gigs of wasted hard drive space. Thanks. Expand
  59. Mar 6, 2013
    Just signed up here especially to give a comment on this epic and ridicules game. Im not giving a comment on the DMR always online mode, its a wrong choice to make EA, but they have made this choice, nothing to do about it anymore. Played the beta and beta 2, immediately gave some valuable gameplay feedback.
    As an urban planner for me personally the map size DOES matter, the tiny size
    As an urban planner for me personally the map size DOES matter, the tiny size does not compete with a realistic or sensible way of how a city works. Creativity is bounded due to this 2 by 2km square area. As well as the empty space between buildings, there is no feature that is able to completely fillup the empty space between the buildings. In the urban world this could be a key element to provide inhabitants more useable space, Simcity terms: “happiness”.

Please EA, improve...
  60. Mar 6, 2013
    It should be named Sim Town, not Sim City, because you can't make cities like you could in the previous versions, only small towns. You can switch to different districts and they share some things so you can sell power or garbage to your other towns, they are not even connected, so you see it as different small towns.

I can't even log in atm. because there is a huge line to play, it's terrible.
  61. Mar 6, 2013
    My gaming rig is top notch the problem with crashes is at the server. This is a poor choice if you dont' have perfect Internet all the time. The detail is awesome as are the missions, but the overall limitations are annoying. If I could, I'd return this game!
  62. Mar 6, 2013
    Requesting online presence just to play an offline game is simply unacceptable.

Having said that, there were plenty of publishers out there that had the same problems (see Blizzard and their Diablo III). The only real solution is to not buy the game. Problem is for instance that EA doesn't accept refunds, so not buying the game in the first place is the only way to go. In an era
    Requesting online presence just to play an offline game is simply unacceptable.

In an era where games like The Witcher 1 and 2 are launched also DRM-free (GOG.com), EA should actually learn how to adapt or perish. Either way, strongy not reccomended to buy Simcity 5.
  63. Mar 6, 2013
    The online-only nature of this game is an absolute deal breaker. Do not buy!! Poor service history by Origin means don't get bitten again. Until EA wakes up and delivers a stand-alone version, don't waste your money.
  64. Mar 6, 2013
    Always on DRM. Can't play unless its at EA's whims. City sizes 1/10th of prior games. No save games (wtf?). Yah thank you, EA, refund time. I dont know why i broke my "never another EA game" vow but i did. Disgusting.
  65. Mar 6, 2013
    EA lost my business because I only use the internet at work. I do not have Internet access at home. I will never play a strictly online game. I think that to go strictly online is a complete waste of money and time. I will stick with Sim City 4 where I can do what I want and have the big striving metropolitan cities and not online games.
  66. Mar 6, 2013
    Overall, its not that great. Main points: The bad:
    - The DRM is lame, yes. Its not a deal breaker. After server availability issues a couple hours after launch, I haven't had any problems connecting and playing.
    Overall, its not that great. Main points: The bad:
    - The city size is laughable. 2 square kilometers per "city", with the number of "cities" determined by the region you pick to play in. Basically, they designed the game to force you to specialize each "city" for a role to support another "city" in your region. No option to just make/play in one large area anymore. Oh, and you may as well section off a huge portion of your already tiny play area to expand your town hall...
    - Loading/switching between the tiny cities on the region view seems to take forever. If you're going to force me to micro-manage resource/utility sharing between "cities", you could at least make it run smoothly. The good:
    - Nice graphics.
    - The changes made to streamline building are nice. I realize there are people out there that like to build every last water pipe and power line, but I thought including all of that built-in to the roads was a good idea. The city specializations are interesting and fun to tinker with.
    - Allowing friends and/or other random people build in your region has potential.

Overall its pretty "meh". Its more "SimTown" inside of a "SimRegion" than it is "SimCity".
  67. Mar 6, 2013
    Are you kidding me? Even when you can get through to play a game you can play for approximately 30 minutes before the servers begin to have issues- and then you're lucky (LUCKY) if you're 30 minutes are synced. What's more- once you try to reestablish a connection- you're usually greeted with another queue to get back to the game the server kicked you off playing.
    That's okay- you
    That's okay- you think- I'll just go to sandbox mode--- that can't possibly require a constant connection- Wrong-O! Hmm--- maybe a Private Sandbox--- that's another whole lotta Nope. What could be a charming and successful sim is marred- irreparably so- by a faulty and slipshod implementation. Chalk this user up to another that will (WILL) be getting refunded by EA, or disputing a credit card charge.
  68. Mar 6, 2013
    Pros: Fun gameplay* and beautiful graphics. (*Assuming you can actually play.)
    Cons: Highly restrictive city map size.
    Conclusion: Simcity is a spectacular game rendered next to useless do to the fact that your chances of actually getting on EA's haggard servers is questionable. It gets a 1 out of 10 which I feel is generous considering I can't even play the game.
  69. Mar 6, 2013
    I am so disappointed that i want to cry. HUGE fan of sim city 4 (certainly more than 1 000 hours in 10 years) This game isn't a sim city anymore, it is a f***ing Facebook social sim village-city. Ridiculously easy, stupidly small and uselessly social. IT is a shame Maxis and EA, shame on you And shame on sold video games websites that gave this game a good rate, which is certainly notI am so disappointed that i want to cry. HUGE fan of sim city 4 (certainly more than 1 000 hours in 10 years) This game isn't a sim city anymore, it is a f***ing Facebook social sim village-city. Ridiculously easy, stupidly small and uselessly social. IT is a shame Maxis and EA, shame on you And shame on sold video games websites that gave this game a good rate, which is certainly not deserved. I hope Desperately that some TRUE sim-city fan will develop a kickstarted project. Expand
  70. Mar 6, 2013
    Wow! I'm so disappointed with how the game going so far. I lost 2 newly start-up cities already because of disconnection. I've high expectations for this game since it cost $60.
  71. Mar 18, 2013
    Updated review after servers were fixed and I've been playing it a while:

1) Cities are too small. No bigger than my real-life suburb!
    2) Sims are not very smart.
    3) Still can't play offline because of stupid DRM.
  72. Mar 7, 2013
    The game itself is okay. It certainly isn't the best SimCity game, but it's a good place to start on an update for the franchise.

The inability for Maxis/EA to keep it's required servers online, however, is a deal breaker. The game can't even be opened unless it phones home to Maxis and then stays connected throughout the gameplay. This presents a major problem when Maxis has simply failed at keeping these servers online.

The game has been unplayable for days. This is an unacceptable way to treat your customers. Maxis should be ashamed.
  73. Mar 7, 2013
    This is the second game that I've bought from EA and will be the last. There is absolutely no excuse for the totally unplayable state of the game at launch which is purely due to the ridiculous DRM safeguards that ES seemed compelled to implement for no legitimate reason.
    I will be returning my copy to EB Games first thing tomorrow morning. I have played a lot of games at launch. Some have had their lag and connection issues. World of Warcraft and Diablo 3 spring to mind. None have even come close to being as truly awful as SIm City.
    If telling people the game will be largely unplayable for them at this point of time counts as a spoiler maybe I should tick the box.
  74. Mar 7, 2013
    Probably the worst global release of a game in the history of gaming. Always on DRM would be ok if they didnt pinch pennies and actually had the infastructure to support their product. They dont and as such this game is a failure at launch. I am not sure it will recover.
  75. Mar 7, 2013
    Have yet to be able to actually play the goddamn tutorial. EA, if you want to implement always-online DRM, fine, but then YOU are responsible for providing enough F***ING SERVERS!! You had the sales numbers, the pre-orders, there is absolutely NO excuse for this!
  76. Mar 7, 2013
    Hello, I made a metacritic account just for this, Simcity is currently a 69 AUD Frisbee as of 9:48PM Melbourne time. I give my frisbee a 4 out of 10, it just doesn't fly as far as my real frisbee.
  77. Mar 7, 2013
    Everything good about the simcity games removed and replaced with an unplayable multiplayer. No deep simulation, the best road layout is 1 snaking road with no intersections, glassbox is just a big cop out to produce a half arsed game. R.I.P Simcity.
  78. Mar 7, 2013
    Most of us remember the 1984 Apple advert, directed by Ridley Scott, showing Microsoft as a big brother-like figure, abusing consumer's rights. Flash-forward a couple of decades... it seems more like a depiction of EA and their DRM policy. Remember, remember the days when the games you bought actually belonged to you! Don't tolerate this non-sense from EA. They are greedy trend-settersMost of us remember the 1984 Apple advert, directed by Ridley Scott, showing Microsoft as a big brother-like figure, abusing consumer's rights. Flash-forward a couple of decades... it seems more like a depiction of EA and their DRM policy. Remember, remember the days when the games you bought actually belonged to you! Don't tolerate this non-sense from EA. They are greedy trend-setters that will make this the norm for computer games one day. Consoles are already on this slippery slope. Remind EA that your money is in their bank account. This is a good game ruined by a fat-cat corporation. Their DRM is not just for piracy protection. Spore was pirated before it was even released so the DRM does nothing to curb piracy. Yes, this review sounds political but just compare the computer game industry to what it was 20 years ago, and also keep in mind the gaming industry makes more money than the film industry. Gaming is big! And you pretty much get told how to play your games these days Expand
  79. Mar 8, 2013
    ATTENTION!!! Do not buy this game!! I wish someone had notified me before I wasted my money on this garbage, so hopefully I can help someone else out. I've just wasted 6 hours of my life trying to get this game to work properly and there is no hope. For those who are skeptical, just google "SimCity Servers" or "Simcity Problems". The critic reviews must have been based on a versionATTENTION!!! Do not buy this game!! I wish someone had notified me before I wasted my money on this garbage, so hopefully I can help someone else out. I've just wasted 6 hours of my life trying to get this game to work properly and there is no hope. For those who are skeptical, just google "SimCity Servers" or "Simcity Problems". The critic reviews must have been based on a version that did not require online connectivity through Origin and it's servers.

Strike 1- If you've ever played any SimCity, you know that it is a single player game and there is really no need for internet access.

Strike 2- If EA was going to force the online DRM on us, they should have at least made sure that you can actually get online... You can't, I can't, and no one has been able to since the game launched days ago.

Strike 3- It would be nice if you could save the game so you could save what little progress you might make before the game fails. Of course, you cannot even save the game when you want to. Strike, er 4?- Adding insult to injury, one must complete the tutorial before getting to actual gameplay. Since you cannot get through the tutorial without the game crashing and cannot save your progress, you are perpetually stuck replaying the first 5 minutes of the tutorial... Awful.

To heck with it, Strike 5- EA should at least be communicating honestly with purchasers/customers about the errors rather than posting blatant lies about how only a small percentage is unable to play and ridiculous excuses on why its not working or how its being fixed and when.

Supreme fail by EA.
  80. Mar 21, 2013
    DRM is a reality of the future of social games. Maxis attempted to make this game social and in the end ruined it because of that. This is not a complaint, its a fact. This is a game that is still in beta as far as I'm concerned, yet it was released, possibly by executive order. Someone near the top needs to be fired.

To the people complaining about DRM itself, they (you) are ignorant.

To the people complaining about DRM itself, they (you) are ignorant. For a social game (even if it has single player) DRM promotes the social aspect of the game. That is why it is being required. DRM is not the problem. The problem was that the SimCity's implementation of DRM is horrible.

On to the actual game, the cities are too small, and things like "airports" have become a part of the "region". This alone kills the game for me. Creativity in this game is lower than ever before. Its not fun once you have played it through once to a dense city. I will admit that first run though was really fun, but not deserving of a good score at the cost of $60. This game is worth $10 even if it took 50 million dollars to develop.
  81. Mar 11, 2013
    Take £45 out your pocket and burn it, at least you will get some warmth. My point is, this game is unplayable and a total waste of cash. The server issues due to online DRM ensure that you wont be able to play this game. No point reviewing this any further, its just unplayable.
  82. Mar 12, 2013
    One of the most frustrating experience I ever had. Can't change my "game name", can't join to region, even can't play my saved cities if servers are unaccessible. SimCity franchise is now dead for me, after 'SimCity Societes' and this piece of... something I will never buy this title again.
  83. Mar 11, 2013
    Server, DRM and Region issues aside, the GlassBox engine simply isn't very good right and can't keep up with extended game play. Casinos, mass transit, garbage/recycling are broken and the path-finding is appallingly bad. If someone with DLC abandons a city then you can't claim it because you haven't paid the extra $20 to use it. This is brutal because now there's a dead city and nothingServer, DRM and Region issues aside, the GlassBox engine simply isn't very good right and can't keep up with extended game play. Casinos, mass transit, garbage/recycling are broken and the path-finding is appallingly bad. If someone with DLC abandons a city then you can't claim it because you haven't paid the extra $20 to use it. This is brutal because now there's a dead city and nothing you can do to fix it (good luck building a great work or commuting). There's so many other little problems with the inherent game play that it's obvious they shipped it before it was ready. Let me repeat these are core game problems and not just flaky servers.

Now don't even get me started on the servers, drm and regions...What a mess...
  84. Mar 12, 2013
    I also wanted to write a review on here because my frustration reached the maximum level it could ever reach. I am normally a calm person. I normally never rage. But this release is my personal disappointment of the year. I can even predict that nothing 2013 will disapoint me more, because what simcity did is the worst "design-mistake" someone can actually do.

1. Small Cities.

Small Cities.

Maxis is lieing at us saying that bigger cities arent possible because of performance restrictions the engine gives us. Thats wrong. The real problem is their DRM always online stuff. They save our cities locally on THEIR servers. Youre not able to create a local savegame. If we would be able to have local savegames, the game would actually easily run on 10 times bigger cities. But because they had to bring in their always online DRM protection they accept smaller cities wich results in a much smaller long-term fun level.

Savegames.

Savegames on their servers? Why? To sync your city region to the other players? Thats maybe a good thing but it's implemented poorly. Sometimes you just disconnect from a server or they have a maintenance running. If you continue playing now have fun seeing your city rolled back hours when you reload your savegame later. Or the savegame is gone fully. Why not create some kind of backup savegame locally? That could'nt be too hard. Just sync it with the online servers the next time you login.

Server capacities.

They try to fix the problem by adding more and more servers. They actually know that this wont help at all. Why? Simple: The single server capacity is just not enough. I've read in a post that one server can take about 90.000 people. Ive no clue if thats true. I dont even care. But even if a server is able to take half a million players, it will result in problems. Always. What they are aiming for is was your money. Now they have it they wait until a few players drop the game because they are frustrated. On Twitter they only answer to "lol look at my city". Like everything's fine. Then, sometimes they say "Hey look theres a new server online! Check it out!". You enter the server and you see the next worst possible design idea ever: The savegames are'nt even synced to other servers. You have to begin a new Savegame on every single server. If your server is full (lets say 90k people play on it), you come back from work and just want to play simcity for another hour you just simply cant. Well you can.. begin a new city. But you can not continue your current city. What the hell Maxis, what the hell.

"Experts".

These people call themselves experts developing such games. Why. Why the hell are these people even allowed to be called like that. Not thinking about the single server capacity why are they miscalculating the load on the first few days? Why are they panicing NOW when its much too late that theres not enough server capacity. Why are they acting like its a big problem to bring up a few more servers online within just one day? Well, if they are doing it right the only thing should actually be setting up a simple server and run their server software wich registers another server in some central server so the players are able to see it. I bet they are'nt even able to do that. They did some hypercomplicated piece of non optimized software. I am pretty sure.

The game will never run properly.

Why? Simply because this kind of game is not able to work out properly. Savegames will disappear as soon as theres a maintenance. And there will always be one. Your cities roll back. You come back from work and your server is crowded. You cannot play. You probably find the time to play it once a week. If youve the time your server is just full and you're done with it. Next week the same. Also: An offline patch is probably not even possible because of their weird system. It would take "too much efford" to make a singleplayer game singleplayer (offline). If youve a nice savegame on a server wich is usually more crowded you can actually forget about it. You will never have fun with this savegame anymore. Savegame port on another server is not possible. Its also not syncing as said earlier.

The game itself.

The game itself is also actually poorly made, mainly because of these small cities, wich could be soooo pretty and big but because of DRM and online restrictions they will never be able to reach a proper size.
    The game feels pretty okay but if you play it for more than two hours you can easily realise how poorly it's made im a coder myself i know alot about whats cheap and whats not Simcity shall be called a pretty facebook game thats it.

I've had trust in them to make it properly.

But this once again shows me has proven me that even multi billion companies are not able to properly create a good and also brainful online experience. Never again. Never.
  85. Mar 12, 2013
    This game is a mess. It's a mélange of poorly implemented bad ideas. For starters it's designed around region play. So you get to build a city and trade resources and services with other cities. That's a pretty good idea, and it was implemented rather successfully in Simcity 4, so it makes sense to add an online multiplayer aspect to that portion of the game. However, intercity tradeThis game is a mess. It's a mélange of poorly implemented bad ideas. For starters it's designed around region play. So you get to build a city and trade resources and services with other cities. That's a pretty good idea, and it was implemented rather successfully in Simcity 4, so it makes sense to add an online multiplayer aspect to that portion of the game. However, intercity trade is horribly buggy. You can initiate trade with another city and not see the results of this for several hours. Given that this mechanic is the foundation of the game's required online component, it's terrible execution severely damages the game from the outset.

Beyond that, the act of building up your own city features a wealth of bugs and poor design decisions as well. The agent-based simulation, while a cool idea, is extremely processor intensive. The average computer this game is designed for simply cannot handle enough agents to accurately simulate a city. Working within that constraint, Maxis has given us the smallest city maps to date for the franchise. They've said that they're the size of Simcity 4's medium maps, but in game this simply does not seem to be the case. You will run out of room, and despite what others have said, this is not a fun challenge to overcome. To make matters worse the regions have huge spaces between cities that mock your overcrowded city map and cause a fully developed region to look ridiculous in the process.

Additionally, the resource extraction and utilization mechanic is a truly odd addition to the franchise. I suppose in Soviet Russia it makes sense for a city to run a television factory, but it is simply out of place in Simcity. It would have made infinitely more sense to require the mayor of a resource-rich city to balance business, industrial, and environmental from a governmental perspective instead of allowing the player to open their own mining operation. Also, once the supply chain is set up selling electronics is game-breakingly profitable, to the tune of millions of simoleons per day.

I won't go into detail on the issue of DRM, but suffice it to say the forced online component would be a bad idea even if it worked properly. However, this game would also fail as a single-player game, so there really isn't anything of value lost due to the always-online restriction.
  86. Mar 12, 2013
    No excuse for utterly broken always-online DRM and forced "Cloud saves" (i.e. you can't save and reload cities to experiment, a cornerstone of the franchise) for what is fundamentally a single player game.
  87. Mar 12, 2013
    The game is fundamentally flawed. Both in design, concept and execution. Beyond the frankly unforgivable server issues at launch, the ridiculousness of online only gameplay for a single player experience, and the apualing response from EA. There are many issues with the game that run very deep into the core of its design, most of which frustratingly become noticeable after sinking (orThe game is fundamentally flawed. Both in design, concept and execution. Beyond the frankly unforgivable server issues at launch, the ridiculousness of online only gameplay for a single player experience, and the apualing response from EA. There are many issues with the game that run very deep into the core of its design, most of which frustratingly become noticeable after sinking (or wasting) several hours playing. The biggest grip I am seeing from people though is that the map size is too small. I agree, it soon becomes apparent that your most important resource by far is space to build. My fond childhood memories of build large sprawling metropolises and micro managing down to the finest details have been completely tarnished. This reboot is nothing short of an insult to the SimCity franchise and all those involved should be ashamed. (Unfortunately as we all know EA never learns) Expand
  88. Mar 12, 2013
    O jogo perde a conexão com bastante frequência, server lotados o tempo todo, não tem nenhum server na America do sul. Deveria ter a opção de jogar off-line sem ter uma conexão constante com a internet isso pra mim o pior. Acho que a manutenção e o custo de edifícios e serviços são um pouco exagerados para uma nova cidade.
  89. Mar 12, 2013
    Always on blatant DRM? Day one DLC with an EA guarantee for bucket loads of additional DLC? Tiny map sizes to crush your creative ability? All this and more in SimCity! Run the buggy and taxing Origin while playing! Watch as one of your favorite games gets ruined by a money grubbing corporation! Give EA all the money! And when all is said and done, and EA is tired of supporting the serversAlways on blatant DRM? Day one DLC with an EA guarantee for bucket loads of additional DLC? Tiny map sizes to crush your creative ability? All this and more in SimCity! Run the buggy and taxing Origin while playing! Watch as one of your favorite games gets ruined by a money grubbing corporation! Give EA all the money! And when all is said and done, and EA is tired of supporting the servers for some reason or another, you too can lose your ability to play the game you purchased!

Or, of course, you could just not buy the game. Maybe buy some other game like Tropico 4. Maybe show EA that they need to fix this crap they are doing. Maybe even do some pirating of the game once it is inevitably cracked. Anything to tell them that they've ruined the franchise. And maybe, just maybe, if the Sun and the Moon and Jupiter and Venus and Mars and Mercury all line up perfectly to the Earth and the center of the Galaxy, maybe EA will actually get around to changing some of the features to allow for people to have the proper playing experience. Personally, I'm not above purchasing the game if they actually went and fixed what was wrong. It'd show improvement, yeah?

TL,DR version: Maybe don't purchase the game. It's bad, Mmkay.
  90. Mar 12, 2013
    I was so frustrated and annoyed with this game I took it back to the store and demanded a refund, apparently I was the 5th one that day!

This game is meant to be a single player with endless creativity, instead its pushed into a small box with lots of other people, I don't think minecraft would of done so well if it had gone down the same route. Do you really think EA cares, all they

Do you really think EA cares, all they want is your money, so DEMAND a refund!
  91. Mar 12, 2013
    Aside from the server and always online issues. There are some major bugs in the game that need to get fixed as well. With more gamebreaking bugs being found every day it seems. Traffic is the number one issue, only a few people have managed to truly trick the simulator and keep a good traffic flow going. A normal city layout and traffic pattern will not work and you need to fool the simsAside from the server and always online issues. There are some major bugs in the game that need to get fixed as well. With more gamebreaking bugs being found every day it seems. Traffic is the number one issue, only a few people have managed to truly trick the simulator and keep a good traffic flow going. A normal city layout and traffic pattern will not work and you need to fool the sims into going the way you want them too. Not normal, but tricks are needed. Essential services are broken, Fire trucks will all respond to the same fire, leaving others burning. They will all then go to the next fire and so on. Pathfinding on these is also horrendous, watching wrong turns and u-turns abound. Busses will do the same thing, they will all take the same paths and stop at the same stops over and over again. Anything far away in a densely packed city may never see a bus, or all of them at the same time. Very odd. Anything over 100k city will only see around 10% actually doing anything. While your city is demanding more workers and more shoppers. There are many more, Aside from the server issues, this promised to be a good game. Digging into it, it is hopelessly broken. Simulation fails on just about every level one could imagine. Maybe they did it to make it harder to desing a functioning city, or that region play was to fill in the gaps, if only region play actually worked. Expand
  92. Mar 12, 2013
    Electronic Arts recently informed people to stop promoting this game less than a week in stores, and while that speaks volumes, I'm here to share my own experiences with this game and the entire SimCity series. That experience goes all the way back April of 1990, when I started with SimCity Classic, and this was a game I loved that I played for hours upon hours. When I got SimCity 2000Electronic Arts recently informed people to stop promoting this game less than a week in stores, and while that speaks volumes, I'm here to share my own experiences with this game and the entire SimCity series. That experience goes all the way back April of 1990, when I started with SimCity Classic, and this was a game I loved that I played for hours upon hours. When I got SimCity 2000 in 1994, it was not only as addictive, but it was also better with the choice of density for Residential, Commercial, and Industrial zones (RCI as it's long since been dubbed) and signs to give names to streets and landmarks. SimCity 3000 (which I got in 1998) took away signs, and even without the arcologies that SimCity 2000 had, it was still an even better game and extremely fun to play. Then in 2004, i got the Deluxe Edition of SimCity 4, and the difficulty of the game made it less enjoyable, but I still had fun playing SC4, and really enjoyed everything that was right with the game. All of this changed in 2013 with the modern SimCity game!

Even with the always online feature, I figured I can at least play alone, because the box said so. Something the game's box does not have written on it, is that the saved game files are not stored on the player's computer, and the player as at the whim for when the game is saved., and I honestly never would have bought the game if only I had known these things. I've had computers break my heart because they were too underpowered for some games (or lacked hard drive space), but SimCity was truly the first video game to succeed in breaking my heart for being the exact opposite of what all other SimCity games were (and still are), which is a city builder to obsess over! Another thing with the modern SimCity game, is that it's also been the first game in nearly thirty years of video gaming that I gave up on before I could even play it. While I was ok with needing to be online to play at first, the difficult to access game servers (at least in the game's first week of release in America) clearly establishes a double standard: EA/Maxis expects players to always be online to play the game, but at the same time, players cannot expect the servers to always be online in order to play the game whenever they wish.

If any good comes out of this, I hope that the corporate suits realize what exactly is wrong with software that requires the user to always be online, and that software pirates are never going to go away. (Not that I'm a pirate or condone software piracy, but I've known about piracy going on for as long as I've first had a computer in 1986.)
  93. Mar 13, 2013
    If you want to play a game for several hours, only to have your city go from 4k an hour in the black to 5k in the red all because the game has several serious bugs, and then to watch as your city goes bankrupt right before your eyes, then this is the game for you! Filled with required online-only DRM, even for single player, making it that you can't play this game when their servers areIf you want to play a game for several hours, only to have your city go from 4k an hour in the black to 5k in the red all because the game has several serious bugs, and then to watch as your city goes bankrupt right before your eyes, then this is the game for you! Filled with required online-only DRM, even for single player, making it that you can't play this game when their servers are down, or taken offline, for your convenience. Watch as you produce an overabundance of electricity and water while half your city leaves because the game won't update your power distribution in any reasonable amount of time. Seriously, this game is trash with all the bugs and online-only DRM. Don't buy it until they make it offline. Expand
  94. Mar 12, 2013
    I am still in shock about what they have done to the franchise and I feel that I have been ripped off! Stick with Sim City 4. I think the game should be called Simt own
  95. Mar 12, 2013
    As a fan of Maxis games since ~1988, and an excited follower of preview news leading up to the release of Simcity 5, I'll be reviewing this game based on my long-anticipated Day 1 gameplay experience: 0. 0, because I didn't buy it. 0, because I'm boycotting EA's latest in a long, colourful history of taking the complete piss of its customers and employees. 0, because I love SimCity, butAs a fan of Maxis games since ~1988, and an excited follower of preview news leading up to the release of Simcity 5, I'll be reviewing this game based on my long-anticipated Day 1 gameplay experience: 0. 0, because I didn't buy it. 0, because I'm boycotting EA's latest in a long, colourful history of taking the complete piss of its customers and employees. 0, because I love SimCity, but I am NOT going to be subjected to Always-Online DRM for single-player games, by EA or any other company in the industry. Decisions like this are terrible for the consumers and terrible for the industry I make games for a living, too, and my heart goes out to all the brilliant creative individuals who will have worked very hard on this game, only to have some money-filching, good-for-nothing corporate suits pull a stunt that would take all that effort and turn it into a product that's currently pulling a much-deserved 1.7 consumer rating on metacritic. And to top it all off, those same suits will now be pointing fingers and eyeing up the developers for deep budget cuts... which I sadly expect to be reading about on a respected gaming review site in a few months.

Shame on EA! And, apparently, EA honestly believes that some of us will buy their latest false claims that SimCity NEEDS the always-online DRM because the game “offloads a significant amount of the calculations to our servers”, and that it would take “a significant amount of engineering work from our team to rewrite the game” for single player. They obviously think we're all mouth-breathers! I have a latest-gen Intel i7 processor and 16gb ram I don't need their sodding "cloud" to "reticulate my splines", and for that matter, neither would my 3 year old laptop. They may be "offloading calculations" (including the algorithms for ethics and consumer rights) but they better "onload" those calculations back to local hardware like every other game, on the double, or I'll offload some calculations of my own, such as where their games get any consideration with respect to my wallet.

Poor show, EA.
  96. Mar 12, 2013
    Even if this were the greatest game in the history of creation (which it's not), it still wouldn't make sense to cripple the user experience by forcing them to always be online to play. That's pure garbage. Buy this game and you support publishers letting you play the game YOU purchased at THEIR discretion. Don't buy this game.
  97. Mar 13, 2013
    This release absolutely failed. Everything is bugged. I wonder, why other critics talking about, how game is so cool balanced, It's all a big lie. Problem is, you can build city without industry zone without any problem You don't have to even build commercial zones!!! How it's possible, they give it 100?

Anyway, i rated 0.
  98. Mar 17, 2013
    Size city limits are absurd. Having to be online all the time to play even alone is ridiculous. Lack of terraforming and custom regions is disappointing. The game play has been dumbed down to the point where there is no challenge. There are no difficulty levels, every game is the same. If you don't already have friends on Origin then it's impossible to find a game to play in. There is noSize city limits are absurd. Having to be online all the time to play even alone is ridiculous. Lack of terraforming and custom regions is disappointing. The game play has been dumbed down to the point where there is no challenge. There are no difficulty levels, every game is the same. If you don't already have friends on Origin then it's impossible to find a game to play in. There is no way to search for open games or reorder the game list to show available cities. Compared to Sim City 4 this game is garbage, I wish I hadn't even bought it. The only good thing about the game is that the graphics are pretty. Expand
  99. Mar 10, 2013
    Yeaaah there is absolutely no way I'm buying any product even associated with EA ever again. Any thank god, because that means I won't have to deal with F***ing Origin ever, the least of all my concerns with this horrible, broken, simplified game with an utter disaster of a launch and DRM scheme.
  100. Mar 13, 2013
    The main point isn't even the DRM. It's the fact that the logic of the game in so many areas JUST DOESN'T WORK. Simoleons are lost, weird limits placed on buying energy or shipping waste or whatever, shops restocking with no need of industry (and no other players and at ZERO cost to your "mini city" People leaving work from home" A" and returning to a completely different house.. HomeThe main point isn't even the DRM. It's the fact that the logic of the game in so many areas JUST DOESN'T WORK. Simoleons are lost, weird limits placed on buying energy or shipping waste or whatever, shops restocking with no need of industry (and no other players and at ZERO cost to your "mini city" People leaving work from home" A" and returning to a completely different house.. Home "B" and then repeating this randomly every day, pathfinding for traffic terrible. Waste not clearing, cash limits "sticking". The logic of the game is just plain BROKEN all over the place. The list could go on and on and on. For the first 90 minutes you are thinking
    "This is a good game. Looks good, if the servers OK I'm going to enjoy this"... Then WHAM the logic somewhere trips you up and often it's a game ending error. Nothing to do with servers or online logic issues these are pure and simple game logic errors and LOTS OF THEM. As for online multiplay. Sharing a zone is a nightmare without some sort of "mind control" over your fellow players.
    Everyone has to build at the same rate for this to work. and display co-ordination and co-operatiion over the long term consistent communication and really playing "one way" that would need to be pre decided before the game begins. It almost requires separate coms software and tracking to get this to work even then, if a player stops playing, wants to experiment, or comes across a problem and doesn't communicate quickly your own "city" (tiny village) is most likely on a downward spiral to collapse as a result. And this happens...every game.

Rely on someone to provide your power? Well make sure he or she is playing and expanding at about the same rate and at the same time as you or BAM it goes out of the window. Same with waste same with EVERYTHING. You need almost superhuman co-ordination to get a 15 player map to any decent level using multiplayer. It's darn hard with 3!

Then you realize why goods appear from no-where at zero cost. Maxis knew the game logic was bust and hid 1/3rd of the issue by making these phantom products for "C" districts to sell. But didn't apply the same "bodge" fixes to "I" or "R" (perhaps becasue that would have let the cat out of the bag too early as far as botched game mechanics go)

For me the idea of global market multiplayer seems quite atractive. I would go online for that for sure. It WOULD bring a new facet to the game. I would hope it was optional. But that is academic. It doesn't work and it's not just a "little bit" broke go deep enough into any facet of the game and it will unravel into a mess of faulty logic and counter intuitive reactions from your Sims. My two pence worth is Maxis "shoe horned" multiplayer functionality in sometime mid 2012 to justify always online DRM. And botched the logic..BADLY. I'd like to say probably at the request of EA but I have no idea whether that would be true or not.

The sad thing is all of this worked (and still does) with Sim City 4. A ten year old game that works almost flawlessly to this day and is what I'm playing on my other monitor as I type this.
  101. Mar 5, 2013

Given enough patches and DCLs, SimCity might eventually become the game that should have been on its release and justify the ambiguous choices that its developers made. [May 2013]
  2. May 9, 2013
    Hints at great things but is limited by small cities and promises it can't deliver on. [June 2013, p.80]
  3. May 9, 2013
    There's more problems with this game than I have words. Looks great though. [June 2013, p.80]