2.2

1. Mar 11, 2013
    Pretending like the series doesn't exist by not calling it SimCity 5/2013/etc, trying to take credit for something that wasn't their creation (original Maxis founder Will Wright is no longer at the company). Which would be OK if the game was good enough to re-invent the series, but it isn't. It's a sequel to SimTown, the kids version of SimCity, this is NOT SimCity since you cannot buildPretending like the series doesn't exist by not calling it SimCity 5/2013/etc, trying to take credit for something that wasn't their creation (original Maxis founder Will Wright is no longer at the company). Which would be OK if the game was good enough to re-invent the series, but it isn't. It's a sequel to SimTown, the kids version of SimCity, this is NOT SimCity since you cannot build cities. The play area is tiny and you're not going to be able to build huge sprawling metropolises like in previous games, until of course the £20 expansion pack comes out that adds it. Infantile challenge with pre-made regions and already connected transport links, infrastructure being way too simple to set up and provide and the economy is so easy to balance you barely even need to look at your financial menu. Day 1 DLC. Microtransactions in a game you've already paid for. No terraforming. Always on DRM. Always on multiplayer. EA. Origin. Any of this sounding good? You need help. EAMaxis' demographic has been slowly changing since the first Sims, from adult gamers who enjoy in depth simulation games to kids who want to play with a digital dollhouse. Which is fine, kids need games too, but with no adult alternatives and horrible business practices taking advantage of their young userbase (Sims 3 content costs £300+) it dismays me. The positives: the engine is quite nice and stable and it looks pretty enough and I do actually like the region trading system even if I resent being forced into it, but that's not enough to redeem this insult to the series. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to play SimCity 4 Expand
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    This game is totally unplayable. The fact that you are forced to play constantly on-line even when you just want to play a single player game is just idiotic but worse is that it just doesn't work. I've been trying to play now for quite a while and it just tells me a lot of nonsens that it cannot do create or claim a city.

I CANNOT EVEN PLAY THE BLOODY TUTORIALS !!!!! However made

I CANNOT EVEN PLAY THE BLOODY TUTORIALS !!!!!

However made this game is utterly incompetent. I'm going to ask for a refund.
  3. Mar 7, 2013
    Starting issues seem to be normal with Online- and/or MMO-games today, but my point to only give 1 point is the terrible game design. Another franchise that has been killed by taking the former core pieces out of it. I know it has been mentioned many times, but the tiny (not small, tiny!) map sizes are completely out of discussion! I don't care if there are technical restrictions thenStarting issues seem to be normal with Online- and/or MMO-games today, but my point to only give 1 point is the terrible game design. Another franchise that has been killed by taking the former core pieces out of it. I know it has been mentioned many times, but the tiny (not small, tiny!) map sizes are completely out of discussion! I don't care if there are technical restrictions then make the simulation different! Anything that worked in 1989 will easily work in 2013. Why can't old game jewels be simply modernized a tiny bit, slightly, with caution? Why do today's game designers think they have to do everything differently just to create the next casual DLC-cashcow? Why the fuzzy, absolutely not stunning graphics? Why the child-like presentation?

On top, when finally playing the game, I have to conclude that in regards to gameplay and mechanics it's simply inferior to the good old SimCity Will created decades ago. Sad ending (for now) for a once wonderful franchise. 1 point and not 0 for the good tutorial.
  4. Mar 9, 2013
    The New Coke of computer gaming. Suck on this rating EA. Let this be a message to all the other game companies that try to overreach with DRM and online connection requirements for a single player game. Even without the DRM and server issues, who wants to play simCity with only small maps? Who the hell is making decisions over there? We thought we were getting SimCity and we getThe New Coke of computer gaming. Suck on this rating EA. Let this be a message to all the other game companies that try to overreach with DRM and online connection requirements for a single player game. Even without the DRM and server issues, who wants to play simCity with only small maps? Who the hell is making decisions over there? We thought we were getting SimCity and we get farmville for $60. Video gaming does not have to be a social activity. Especially a game like this. Expand
  5. Mar 10, 2013
    Bought the game before it was released. HUGE MISTAKE. Have been having lots of problems to even start a game, when I eventually did I lost all progress because it wasn't saved properly.

EA tries to sell it as a "multiplayer" game, but its clearly a single player with just a few limited (and completely unecessary) interaction between cities. Clearly a poor excuse to get you eat the whole huge DRM.

Tired of stupid game companies forcing you to deal with even more stupid DRMs? Then DO NOT buy this game. I'm asking for a refund, that's the only way these guys will ever stop treating us like idiots.
  6. Mar 19, 2013
    John Riccitiello leaves his job in EA and accorinig to ancient Russian proverb:
  7. Mar 6, 2013
    Worthless. Anti-consumer DRM that forces you to be online when you play, which means that when the servers go down (like today) you can't play. Yes you read it right. You can't play your single-player game because the servers are down.
  8. Mar 6, 2013
    Please make an offline version.... The game itself is not polished enough. There are much less variety of buildings, and the city size is very small.
  9. Mar 24, 2013
    It takes Ubisoft to learn that it just not worth having persistently connected games and deal with the potential customer backlash afterward. I've since wary of buying anything coming out of Ubisoft. I will stay out of EA too if this persist and vote with my money, until they learn
  10. Mar 7, 2013
    I won't bother going into the all "I can't play it because EA uses always online DRM" because thousands of others already have so that's a tired speech to make. But no I can't play it because of EA's backwards thinking always online DRM garbage they forced in which only causes problems for their paying customers. Anyone who pirated this game has cracked it and happily been playing it whileI won't bother going into the all "I can't play it because EA uses always online DRM" because thousands of others already have so that's a tired speech to make. But no I can't play it because of EA's backwards thinking always online DRM garbage they forced in which only causes problems for their paying customers. Anyone who pirated this game has cracked it and happily been playing it while people who paid for it are stuck with intrusive DRM that messes up our ability to use the product we paid for.

Personally from what I was able to play I did not like it much at all. In fact I went over to gog.com (I love those guys) and I got sim city 4 instead and I am sending sim city 5 back for a refund and probably will never buy it again.

Sim city 5 first of all felt incomplete, a lot of things seemed missing like I dont like how the city size is limited as I remember EA saying they had much larger cities running themselves but scaled them back for the final product, you can't teraform like in past games, no subways, no farmlands, no power lines, no water lines and so on. A lot of little things are absent from the game which I fear means they will be sold to us later through microtransactions or DLC packs. Because EA has a nasty habit of nickel and diming their customers to death with over priced DLC and they love to force microtransactions into every game they make, even the ones where it makes no sense like dead space 3. Like the sims 3 for instance is not a new game, its many years old but yet if you want to buy it and all the content (including packs with pets, furniture and other such trivial things) you would spend upwards of 400 bucks or maybe more.

I hate the fact everything is stored on Cloud. I don't actually have anything saved that I do on my pc. I dependant on having to access their servers to play the game even by myself.

Multiplayer. While a interesting idea is being shoe horned into the game whether you want it or not. Personally I feel it is just an excuse to use always on DRM and force players to play their games and save content on their servers. I don't like it myself but others might. I want to sit, plot, plan and build my cities how I want with no interference from others. I don't want to play sim city to be social.

It requires Origin which I still dislike for numerous reasons. I don't even care for Steam really but I use steam and one digital service is enough for me. I don't want to spread my games out on multiple online services.

It has the look and feel of the sims, which I don't care for. It feels too cartoony, too unrealistic and it just feels like I am playing a sims game.

It also doesn't spark my creativity and desire to articulate every little thing in my head. I don't want to go into great detail and consideration when building. I found myself trying to very hard, but not actually "feeling it" so to speak. I was trying to force myself to enjoy it like I did previous games but it wasn't happening. But as soon as I loaded up sim city 4 it all came flooding back to me.
  11. Mar 7, 2013
    What can I say EA Strikes again. They seem to like to repeat poor and bad ideas from the past. They tried DRM with Spore and other games and every time and having to be tethered to the a single server for a Single Player game fails! They have ruined this game and everything it could have been with their delivery of the service to the consumer. Personally I avoid EA like the plague theseWhat can I say EA Strikes again. They seem to like to repeat poor and bad ideas from the past. They tried DRM with Spore and other games and every time and having to be tethered to the a single server for a Single Player game fails! They have ruined this game and everything it could have been with their delivery of the service to the consumer. Personally I avoid EA like the plague these days and only by PC Games through Steam. The company is a dinosaur and is fast becoming the Microsoft of gaming. Expand
  12. Mar 13, 2013
    Someone told me EA and Maxis fixed the servers.... Lets say there were wrong. I haven't even been able to play this game yet because of the stupid connection issues. $55.00 wasted. Thanks EA for ruining another franchise.
  13. Mar 7, 2013
    Paid for nothing. Cannot run the game due to server issues. Why put a always-online-DRM on a single player game. What were they thinking? Following the path of THQ?
  14. Mar 6, 2013
    All I can currently say is "Go yourself, EA". Your politics of game distribution accessibility are a terrible excuse. You're no longer a company worth of publishing any quality product. This SimCity got broken due to your ignorance, inability to accept the fact that people does not want to be milked cows, buy and smile. Forget your huge profits. Soon, they'll be gone for the greater goodAll I can currently say is "Go yourself, EA". Your politics of game distribution accessibility are a terrible excuse. You're no longer a company worth of publishing any quality product. This SimCity got broken due to your ignorance, inability to accept the fact that people does not want to be milked cows, buy and smile. Forget your huge profits. Soon, they'll be gone for the greater good of games industry. Wait and see, you filthy whore, EA. Gamers still hold the power to control your greed. Expand
  15. Mar 5, 2013
    Yup once again the evil EA and their always on DRM had ruined the experience. It's worst than the Diablo 3 launch. I swear this is the last time I'll buy anything from EA again. In fact, I am gonna pirate this game later. I bet the cracked off line version is so much better.
  16. Mar 8, 2013
    I waited some days with the review, to give Maxis a chance to go over the launch day issues. However, 3 days after launch and I'm still unable to connect to the servers shows a clear fail in the design development or the game.
    Update 4 days after launch: I was able to play today, so up my rating to 3 points. The game appears great, but all the region benefits are switched off to reduce load on the servers. However, the region interaction was the main justification of the tiny maps, so right now we have tiny maps and a dysfunctional region (so the worst of both world: all cities must be universal and self-sustained, but don't have the size to achieve this goal)
  17. Mar 7, 2013
    The game is crippled by always-on DRM. How is it acceptable to wait in a queue to play single player? The plot sizes are reduced and the town relations happen on their own. Stay away from this game,
  18. Mar 6, 2013
    when you buy a game you probably expect to be able to play it. EA's servers are constantly down so playing this game when you want to is not something you can expect. You'll be playing when EA wants you to and a few years down the road when they stop paying for servers, you won't be able to play at all. This happens to MMOs when they cease to be profitable. This should never happen to awhen you buy a game you probably expect to be able to play it. EA's servers are constantly down so playing this game when you want to is not something you can expect. You'll be playing when EA wants you to and a few years down the road when they stop paying for servers, you won't be able to play at all. This happens to MMOs when they cease to be profitable. This should never happen to a single-player game like SimCity. Expand
  19. Mar 14, 2013
    No. Just no. This game doesn't even deserve a decent review from me. EA has ruined what should've been a great single player game with it's always online DRM.
  20. Mar 6, 2013
    Bought the game through amazon. Put the product code in and it told me the game was unreleased.....so I'm gonna be that guy and slam the user reviews until they can figure something out
  21. Mar 7, 2013
    Always on DRM. No Terraforming. Small cities. Very disappointing, why get the basics so wrong on such an anticipated game. Refund please. Thanks...
  22. Mar 7, 2013
    On day one I was one of the lucky ones who got it and played for several hours straight and loved every second. On that first day I gave this game a score of 9. That joy however was sadly short lived, and I too have been forced to reevaluate the game because the shortcomings at the moment are substantial enough to merit a score that encourages people not to buy, for now. I have not beenOn day one I was one of the lucky ones who got it and played for several hours straight and loved every second. On that first day I gave this game a score of 9. That joy however was sadly short lived, and I too have been forced to reevaluate the game because the shortcomings at the moment are substantial enough to merit a score that encourages people not to buy, for now. I have not been able to play the game for two nights in a row. I understand the game's need for a persistent internet connection, for global economy and for playing with friends, but the fact that they have not foreseen the level of demand for what is unquestionably one of gaming's best known and best loved franchises is unforgivable. As to the game itself, i dont worry about city size limits because I take a whole region to myself with up to 16 cities and make it invite only and dont invite anyone. This provides for a huge game. There really is very little wrong with the game... when you can play it. Expand
  23. Mar 5, 2013
    The online DRM I can get past. Kinda pissed I won't be able to play anymore once ea decides its no longer worth their time, but overall not that big of a deal. The big problem though is the fact that I can't play for longer than 10 minutes before it crashes. In addition, it took me an hour before I could get it to work since it redirected me to a non-working tutorial over and over againThe online DRM I can get past. Kinda pissed I won't be able to play anymore once ea decides its no longer worth their time, but overall not that big of a deal. The big problem though is the fact that I can't play for longer than 10 minutes before it crashes. In addition, it took me an hour before I could get it to work since it redirected me to a non-working tutorial over and over again until I reset the mini-tutorial option by chance. After that it randomly let me get back to my city. All of this was after having to try about 15 times to create a city and getting an error message telling me to try again.

The tiny map size is annoying, and if I ever get to play for any length of time, I'll be able to accurately evaluate that.
  24. Mar 5, 2013
    Although the game itself is amazing it really doesn't mean anything when you can't play it. Between the massive problems EA had getting the game to even release to the issues where you wait 20 min in a queue just to have it reset or allow you to join for an endless loading screen. Although you expect issues with a day 1 release those bugs usually still let you play the game, such asAlthough the game itself is amazing it really doesn't mean anything when you can't play it. Between the massive problems EA had getting the game to even release to the issues where you wait 20 min in a queue just to have it reset or allow you to join for an endless loading screen. Although you expect issues with a day 1 release those bugs usually still let you play the game, such as endless audio loops or menus disappearing which I have had happen in Simcity. People would be willing to deal with always online DRM if it actually let us play the game we paid $60. I hope that EA offers some sort of credit or in game items for all of the mess. If not I'll just go buy the physical copy if I buy it at all. Expand
  25. Mar 7, 2013
    I have loved SimCity from the first one but EA has ruined the game for me. Just return this defective buggy product. That what I have done and will most likely never buy it unless they make major changes. Amazon was great about offering me a full refund for my opened game. EA says they will give refunds in press release but you can always stop/dispute payment with your credit card forI have loved SimCity from the first one but EA has ruined the game for me. Just return this defective buggy product. That what I have done and will most likely never buy it unless they make major changes. Amazon was great about offering me a full refund for my opened game. EA says they will give refunds in press release but you can always stop/dispute payment with your credit card for faulty product. Hurting EA's bottom line is the only way they will ever pay attention. The biggest problem is not the DRM but that you have to always play on a server. You log on to play a "Single Player Game" and if server is down you are out of luck. The sever goes down while you are playing and you cannot save losing your progress and you are out of luck. Server is busy and there is a wait line and nothing you can do. EA decides it doesn't want to support the server and gives 30 days notice that your game will break and you are out of luck.

In addition the little bit of play time that I was able to do there seems to be holes/missing buildings and options in the game. I can only suspect that this will be the Sims 3 again costing several hundreds of dollars to own the complete game.

Again decide to pass and pickup any copy of the older SimCities and you'll be vastly more satisfied.
  26. Mar 6, 2013
    Sim City is beautiful and the interface is perfect (really good job on it guys). But what happened to the real Sim City This game is really frustrating for 2 major points and 1 other reason:
    - The size of map is ridiculous (we can fill a map in 2 hours max). No possibilities of creation for a gigantic city.
    - The game is easy. Even if I add a lot of taxes to my population, it's still
    - The game is easy. Even if I add a lot of taxes to my population, it's still easy to keep your city safe.

The last point concerns your DRM it's fully on-line and this is annoying. If Origin doesn't work, you can't play. Why did you do the same mistake as Diablo 3 ?

My fear concerns the future: if Maxims adds a lot of paid DRM for special building bigger maps, that would be the glory of shame. I hope I am wrong but for now, as a Sim City fan, I am disappointed.
  27. Mar 6, 2013
    I don't understand why a lot of the backlash is a surprise to anyone, least of all Maxis and EA. Every one of these issues were raised ad nauseum in the months leading up to the release and neither Maxis nor EA refused to acknowledge that they were problems. Instead, it was all about justification and explaining that they were 'heading in a different direction'. What company in their rightI don't understand why a lot of the backlash is a surprise to anyone, least of all Maxis and EA. Every one of these issues were raised ad nauseum in the months leading up to the release and neither Maxis nor EA refused to acknowledge that they were problems. Instead, it was all about justification and explaining that they were 'heading in a different direction'. What company in their right mind tries to tell the consumer what they want? The problem is, I doubt EA will learn any lessons from this because they're surfing the wave of popularity that already surrounds SimCity. They didn't earn it for themselves. What a bunch of pricks.

Sure, the graphics are updated and 3D and the civic buildings can be modified and it's nice to watch sims running around doing their 'thang', but this is a SIMULATION, which demands realism and high levels of control, especially because this is the sixth incarnation and by this stage Maxis should freakin' know what works and what doesn't. What do we get? No subways. No terraforming. No highways. No control outside of the assigned squares. PITIFUL square sizes (what's the point of making curvy roads when you're discouraged from using them because there's no space). No ability to use height restrictions. Determining density from the type of road is just plain bizarre and awkward. And, I might add, not what's done in the real world.

The thing I truly hate about this is that even if I try to be as creative as possible and build up my population, it's just gonna look pathetic because it'll be a bunch of small square skyscrapers with nothing but grass in between.

Hey Maxis and EA here's a newsflash for you. I want to decide where my highways go, and what parts of my region are green, and how big my cities are, and where I want high density to go, and if my city has a subway system or not. I want it all to be my choice, not YOURS.

And I haven't even mentioned the DRM or DLC, which no doubt will attempt to correct some of the glaring problems... for a modest fee, of course.

I want a refund.
  28. Mar 7, 2013
    Do not buy this game! Not because of it's DRM, not because of it's server issues, but because EA has openly stated that they WILL NOT refund your money when they fail to deliver the product that you paid for. I have been unable to even play the TUTORIAL level because the server crashes every time I attempt to play, and I have been trying to play for 3 hours across two days. EA doesn'tDo not buy this game! Not because of it's DRM, not because of it's server issues, but because EA has openly stated that they WILL NOT refund your money when they fail to deliver the product that you paid for. I have been unable to even play the TUTORIAL level because the server crashes every time I attempt to play, and I have been trying to play for 3 hours across two days. EA doesn't deserve any money from anyone because of such blatant disregard for their customers.

For those of you that think "Server issues are the norm, don't blame the company", this is a terrible mentality to have. Companies can easily afford to have enough servers in place to handle the load, they just don't care to spend the money on them. Don't encourage companies to have this kind of behavior.

For proof, here is the link to EA's return policy: https://help.ea.com/article/returns-and-cancellations
  29. Mar 6, 2013
    It's a waste of time and money, and the fact that they're BLATANTLY LYING about having fixed servers and are not doing ANYTHING to compensate for this massive failure of a launch is an enormous slap in the face. The game was actually really fun for the few hours i got to play, after waiting 4 hours to install a game FROM A DISC because i needed to connect to the servers to install it forIt's a waste of time and money, and the fact that they're BLATANTLY LYING about having fixed servers and are not doing ANYTHING to compensate for this massive failure of a launch is an enormous slap in the face. The game was actually really fun for the few hours i got to play, after waiting 4 hours to install a game FROM A DISC because i needed to connect to the servers to install it for some stupid reason, and before the server crashed and I lost MY ENTIRE CITY. The fact that it forces you be be always online was a horrible mistake on EAs part. This isn't an MMO its a single player city simulation. Their customer service is non-existent and the announcements being given by the company saying that servers are patched and running have all been false. Absolutely ridiculous. Expand
  30. Mar 6, 2013
    Even though EA promised to have fixed the issues for the international launch of the game, they failed to do so, I have yet to be able to play, I can connect to the server fine, but cannot create my SINGLE PLAYER world.
    Do NOT buy this game until they fixed all the issues or removed the horrible always-on DRM.
    Not only does it stop your game if you loose connection, you also have ZERO
    Not only does it stop your game if you loose connection, you also have ZERO control over your saved-games, you can't even transfer them between servers.
  31. Mar 7, 2013
    The game is not bad, but the server has a lot of problems. I played a few hours and every 5 minutes it disconnected. The graphic is very good. I hope that the server will be better the next days
  32. Mar 7, 2013
    I've played the game and it is, indeed, all I expected. I'm kind of lucky to have paid $15,00 in my country because, really, I don't see myself playing this game for long.

Of the last 3 days, I've played over 24 hours but I've lost cities, lost 10 hours of game out of nowhere and, the worse, you never know if it will sinc up your data. They are taking the servers down without telling the players so they can "save" their progress...

This always-online DRM, I really think they could have made a simple single-player 1 city map, perhaps even a bigger map, for the sake of avoiding this catastrophic launch... It's a good game, but the false promises of stability of their DRM really makes me give them a round ZERO.
  33. Mar 7, 2013
    Attempting to play Sim City is a pointless waste of time. I wonder if EA is purposely trying to kill PC games by causing such an overwhelmingly poor experience. Sim City was looking like a sure fire hit, with excellent graphics and an enjoyable immersive world to create in. However it has become an absolute shambles which seems so unimaginably inept as to make me think it had to be intentional.
  34. Mar 7, 2013
    Any game I can't play after paying money for it gets a zero. EA has seen the last of my money. No one should support always-online DRM. Its unfortunate EA had to do this to one of the most beloved games from my childhood. First Diablo 3 and now this.

Additionally, Origin sucks. I avoided it like the plague until SimCity came out and then I was forced to use it. No one likes you, EA. If I could wish bankruptcy on any company, it would probably be them.
  35. Mar 7, 2013
    There's a hint, a glimmer of a good game running under the hood, but it's plagued by terrible decisions. Let's get the DRM discussion out of the way: the always-online DRM requirement punishes paying customers while providing a mere speed bump to pirates. It's a poor idea and should be abandoned. Moving on.

My biggest gripe with the game is the absolutely tiny size of the cities.

My biggest gripe with the game is the absolutely tiny size of the cities. To be honest, it reminds me of a span of 12 blocks in Manhattan from one subway point to the next. You fill up your allotted town space within a couple hours, and then every town ends up looking like a Borg cube. I understand they're trying to push region play with cities interacting with each other, but the cities (towns, really) look very artificial. There's no organic life to them like in prior SimCity games or even more recent independent entries in city simulation like CitiesXL (for all its warts).

The game is fun for a little while, but ultimately leaves one wanting and is depressing because it's a testament to what could have been.
  36. Mar 7, 2013
    Sooner EA goes bust the better... EA represent everything wrong with the game industry. Guess what EA it is too late.... even if you do patch out the awful DRM
  37. Mar 7, 2013
    Lets see.
    Require Always online meaning if the server were to go down while you are still playing and kept on playing for few hours without reconnecting to the server, then you would lose any progress after that point as it happened to me. Unable to authenticate with the server but if you were lucky to pass that then..
    Unable to load the tutorial.. but if you pass that then.. Unable to
    Lets see.
    Unable to load the tutorial.. but if you pass that then..
    Unable to create game. lol..but if you were to create a game Then you would just disconnect and start over again..
    U
  38. Mar 7, 2013
    Unplayable: always-on-DRM ruins a promising game. I would recommend to wait for EA/Origin to remove their broken DRM system; it only hurts paying customers.
  39. Mar 7, 2013
    Total failure from EA to launch a finished product. The city grid sizes are completely too small. They are able to be filled in under an hour of play time. The DRM prevents this game from standing on its own... yet, it's a single player game. Nonsense, really. Forced regional dependencies result in really rough game play when your neighbor doesn't know what he is doing or decides toTotal failure from EA to launch a finished product. The city grid sizes are completely too small. They are able to be filled in under an hour of play time. The DRM prevents this game from standing on its own... yet, it's a single player game. Nonsense, really. Forced regional dependencies result in really rough game play when your neighbor doesn't know what he is doing or decides to play once, then never come back. Expand
  40. Mar 7, 2013
    If your looking to play a sim town game that you can rarely play because of server issues, cannot save, and crashes regularly then you are in luck. Otherwise, stay away. How does EA stay in business producing this stuff? We all must just be sheep to them.
  41. Mar 7, 2013
    When you purchase a game, you should be able to play it when it is released. If a game cannot be made available to the customers, the game should not be released. Ive tried for hours to get in, to no avail. Always online DRM needs to go the way of the dodo. Such a shame
  42. Mar 7, 2013
    I am used to bad launches. However, there doesn't seem to be a single server that is working. Not being able to play a game I just payed for is the worst kind of launch. EA I want my money back.
  43. Mar 7, 2013
    I pre-ordered Digital Deluxe Edition on Origin way back in January.
    I never received any of the keys for any of the betas from EA.
    The game is still unavailable (not yet released) to me although it should have unlocked 16 hrs ago. I also fear when it does become available it will not be working, it will be crashing, there will be server errors, as well as progress lost. Why else would
    I pre-ordered Digital Deluxe Edition on Origin way back in January.
    I never received any of the keys for any of the betas from EA.
    I also fear when it does become available it will not be working, it will be crashing, there will be server errors, as well as progress lost. Why else would they hold off unlocking it. To me as their premium customer?
    The review is not based solely on my frustration about release but also on bad experience of playing the Beta for which I got the key through another Amazon pre-order.
  44. Mar 7, 2013
    For once there is a broken record that I enjoy listening to. I never knew i could get so much enjoyment out of reading terrible reviews. EA embarrassed themselves big time on this one. I mean WTF. Are they seriously keeping people from just installing this thing and playing with no worries? Is your internet up? Do the servers have room? Did you city even save? I was one of the "lucky"For once there is a broken record that I enjoy listening to. I never knew i could get so much enjoyment out of reading terrible reviews. EA embarrassed themselves big time on this one. I mean WTF. Are they seriously keeping people from just installing this thing and playing with no worries? Is your internet up? Do the servers have room? Did you city even save? I was one of the "lucky" people that played for a few hours. It was enjoyable, I searched for a way to expand my city for about 20 mins thinking, "this can't be the full size"... "there has to be a way that you can buy more space with your Simoleons. Nope. Thats it. All the land you get. So you have to start demolishing entire blocks to deal with the never ending need for more fire stantions and water treatment plants. I had 6 fire stations (mostly upgraded) on that little plot of land and they were still complaining at me. I won't even go into the lack of subways and pipe laying.. heh heh. All puns aside, this was a pretty big disappointment..... Not even to mention I CANT EVEN PLAY NOW!! EA.. you s**k. Youre a greedy corporation that wants to rob gamers of the exact reason you are in business. I will happily seek a pirated version of this and wont be spending anymore money on your products. I would say I am going to seek a refund, but we all know that won't happen. I will just delete my account and wait for somebody to upload an offline, and more importantly, playable version. Maxis, you should have known better. I mean come on. To develop such a devoted following and in one fell swoop piss 99% of them off. Bravo btw, I don't know if that has been done with such a blaze of glory. RIP Simcity, you will be missed. Expand
  45. Mar 7, 2013
    Poor Customer Service. Poor design. Poor execution. This one is entirely on EA. NOT WORTH BUYING. WILL NOT ISSUE REFUND. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS ATROCIOUS.

SINGLE PLAYER GAMES SHOULD NOT REQUIRE ALWAYS ON INTERNET CONNECTION!!!
  46. Mar 7, 2013
    A step too far.
    I bought this single player game, loaded up my disc, installed the game and went to play. That was the best part of the experience. It was all downhill from there.....
    The servers were down and when up you have to wait in a queue to actually get into the game. So as of yet I have not actually played the game I paid £40 for. Right now it is a dead paper weight. What
    A step too far.
    What annoys me is not that EA seem overly obsessed with copy protection but that they have created a game that should be a single player game just like all the previous games. You should not have to login to a server to be able to play it. There are so many other ways of doing it that the fact they went in the direction they did cannot be defended. I hope reviewers slam the game based upon that because it isn't needed or wanted. You should get a simple code that you enter into Origin to register your game to your account and then do what you want, play offline if you want. Going this route is a step to far and is nothing more then wanting to spy on you and control what you do. It is more like a facebook system then a computer game. EA messed this one up badly.
  47. Mar 7, 2013
    EA just destroyed its reputation for the sake of their DRM by making this abhorrent excuse of a game The SimCity franchise has been completely dismantled servers are never up, games are booted, can't save your progress and if you manage to start your game again you have to start from the beginning ...
    absolutely disappointing
  48. Mar 7, 2013
    The forced drm makes this one good game that it would probably be best to pass up. I can't understand how EA believed you could make a single player game online only.
  49. Mar 7, 2013
    Not sure how any professional review can give this game a 10/10. Reviews should be taking game features into account, and considering the biggest feature of SimCity is it's Online mode, a 10 is laughable. So all of those 10s you see are coming from bad journalists who aren't doing their jobs correctly., just so you know because the game is good, but doesn't work. Quite honestly, SimCityNot sure how any professional review can give this game a 10/10. Reviews should be taking game features into account, and considering the biggest feature of SimCity is it's Online mode, a 10 is laughable. So all of those 10s you see are coming from bad journalists who aren't doing their jobs correctly., just so you know because the game is good, but doesn't work. Quite honestly, SimCity could be the greatest game of all time, but you'd never know it unless you are lucky enough to get past the gauntlet of problems caused by poor development decisions. I'd stay far away from this game until they do an overhaul on the system. Expand
  50. Mar 7, 2013
    Not only should you not buy this game (it flat out does not work), you should also discredit any Review Site that gives this game a passing grade.
    It is a failure.
  51. Mar 7, 2013
    The first thing about a game that every single one of them needs is for it to work, this does not its inexcusable, how can they spend all this time developing a game and then for it not to work, did they not expect for more than 5 people to play it a one time or something, worst thing is though EA wouldn't refund me saying its not in their policy, i stuck with EA through Mass Effect butThe first thing about a game that every single one of them needs is for it to work, this does not its inexcusable, how can they spend all this time developing a game and then for it not to work, did they not expect for more than 5 people to play it a one time or something, worst thing is though EA wouldn't refund me saying its not in their policy, i stuck with EA through Mass Effect but this stupid DRM thing for a single player game is ridiculous, when will you listen to anything anyone says i am fed up with it and i seriously hope you rethink your entire business strategy or just leave the video game market which you've already left in tatters, i would not care if North Korea went through with its threats and nuked EA, in fact i would be overjoyed at the prospect of it, so Kim Jong Un if you somehow can read this nuke EA into the stone age for the good of the world please. Expand
  52. Mar 7, 2013
    Have not been able to play due to the always on DRM do not buy this game as it is broken. Even with it being broken EA will not give me a refund I repeat do not buy this game.
  53. Mar 7, 2013
    The game is an utter disaster. Treating paying customers like vile criminals with absolutely draconian DRM that does not work. I've had only played it for 3 Hrs when it crashed saying I NEEDED to be connected to the internet to play on my own. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. You will be thrown into the vast abyss of people who can't play the the THEY BOUGHT AND PAYED FOR. A disgrace to gaming and aThe game is an utter disaster. Treating paying customers like vile criminals with absolutely draconian DRM that does not work. I've had only played it for 3 Hrs when it crashed saying I NEEDED to be connected to the internet to play on my own. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. You will be thrown into the vast abyss of people who can't play the the THEY BOUGHT AND PAYED FOR. A disgrace to gaming and a disgrace to a paying customer. Expand
  54. Mar 7, 2013
    I wish I could rate this game lower than zero. EA has acted dishonestly. I will never pay for an EA product again. Please join the boycott. These people don't need any more of your money.
  55. Mar 7, 2013
    Absolutely unacceptable and disgraceful launch from Origin. It's not so much that it's an always online game.... although that is also ridiculous... you should be able to play a single player game offline....I just can't deal with paying good money to waste my damn time waiting to load this bloody game. The issue had bloody well be temporary, It's a damn shame. unbloodyacceptable.
  56. Mar 7, 2013
    I created a metacritic account just because of this game.
    Online connection required to play at all times. WTF I have one. WHY doesn't this play? I purchased this for $86.49 with all the bells and whistles, I should have just gotten a hand
    I created a metacritic account just because of this game.
    job from the illegal on the corner. I guess I have to spend hours trolling thru EA forums looking for someone saying "we are aware of the bull**** and are working hard to fix it" A game to be played by people to manage a city and EA can't even manage a release?
    26 awards this thing received for what making more money than a ponzi scheme...
    Get Bernie back he'll get this going!! GET ME MY MONEY BACK!

EA you trash producing hack company! and Maxis you made a deal with the devil.
    Anyone who thinks this game is good I sell you my unplayable copy sounds like a sweet deal to me.
  57. Mar 7, 2013
    Lets be simple.
    What is the worth of an unplayable game? Zero.
    It doesn't matter even if the actual games is brilliant, because you could barely make it that far.
  58. Mar 8, 2013
    To EA staff reading this, it is completely fair for us to judge your games for the first 15 minutes, and since I haven't been able to log in for 2 whole days now, I think it's fair to say I've had enough!

I've been a game designer for 20+ years and this is why games my studio creates doesn't require an "always on connection". In fact, I'd fire the person who even suggests it at my studio.

Games are supposed to be low barrier to entry, all users want, is to play the game straight after installation.
  59. Mar 7, 2013
    Single player game that requires an internet connection and the installation of clunky EA software Origin to run. I'll pass on that alone, but the core game play is also a step backwards in terms of tiny cities, autosave which means no experimenting and then loading. According to the many reports it is also very buggy right now (release time).
    Back to the whole always on-line DRM thing.
    Back to the whole always on-line DRM thing.
    1. no playing on your laptop where you have crappy or no internet.
    2. Your game stops working when EA stops running the servers
    3. Your game doesn't work well right now- EA is having trouble with their servers.

There are many other reasons DRM is bad just read the comments here. I played and enjoyed the older versions of sim city. It is sad that this game is so crippled.
  60. Mar 7, 2013
    No one should ever support draconian DRM like EA has imposed here. In fact the current server issues they are having is proof why such DRM is fail. Overall I say please vote with your wallet.
  61. Mar 7, 2013
    I still play SC4, and pre-ordered this piece of crap. Graphics and game play are like a retarded Facebook game. Everything has been detailed down in game so EA can sell you add-ons later and rape you even more on a 80 dollar game. City size are tiny, maybe a tenth of what they were in SC4, no subways, interstates are already on the map and in horrible places, no way to control taxes onI still play SC4, and pre-ordered this piece of crap. Graphics and game play are like a retarded Facebook game. Everything has been detailed down in game so EA can sell you add-ons later and rape you even more on a 80 dollar game. City size are tiny, maybe a tenth of what they were in SC4, no subways, interstates are already on the map and in horrible places, no way to control taxes on things to prevent air pollution (for people to use mass transit) no way to build entertainment buildings or special buildings, only parks. OH and did I mention the graphics suck big time. Not what you would expect for a 2013 game release. Farmville quality stuff here. IM running dual 680GTX cards in my desktop and it looks the same as my 2003 dell inspiron 8500 with a on board POS graphics card. I retuned it so one less person on there servers. Expand
  62. Mar 7, 2013
    I have always been a huge sim city fan but the always on internet ruined it for me whoever at ea thought it was a good idea in a single player game should be fired.avoid like the plague
  63. Mar 7, 2013
    Review based on gameplay with a friend who purchased (and returned) his copy.

Review based on gameplay with a friend who purchased (and returned) his copy.

I would happily buy this game if I could play it offline and save my own cities, on my own computer, on my own schedule. But right now, the only option is to pay cash up front to RENT access to a game that might or might not be playable, depending on the whims of the internet and the servers. Personally I don't have free time to sit around waiting, especially when a server glitches out and eats my city. If you don't mind paying to entrust your cities to the EA servers, then more power to you. As for me, I'll pass on Rent-A-City 5 and go back to my old copy of the awesome SimCity 4.
  64. Mar 7, 2013
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME RIGHT NOW!. There are far too many issues to justify spending any money until they get this mess figured out. I cannot speak to the actual game play as I continue to wait to connect to servers. I have owned this game for three days and have not been able to log on yet
  65. Mar 7, 2013
    Whats the most important aspect of any game? BEING ABLE TO F*****G PLAY IT!
    Whats the most important aspect of any game? BEING ABLE TO F*****G PLAY IT!
    I paid 600 SWEDISH CROWNS (THAT'S 93.83$ SRSLY) for this game, it took hours to get on, then i get disconnected, i get on, i try the game for a while, i get disconnected, save corrupted, if you're on a dodgy WiFi your session will disconnect, if EA servers act up, your save will get corrupted, the game itself seems fairly alright but it has been UNPLAYABLE since release date, also to play this game you need Origin, Origin is spyware; google it. I would not recommend this game to anyone and i will claim a refund, you should do the same thing.
  66. Mar 7, 2013
    I "played" this game for about 2 hours. The first 15 minutes or so were spent updating the game I had just purchased the day prior. The next 15 minutes were spent appeasing Sims in the tutorial. The next hour plus was spent being denied access to a single player game because of server issues. Sim City is just about as fun as waiting in traffic in order to pay a toll, except tolls actuallyI "played" this game for about 2 hours. The first 15 minutes or so were spent updating the game I had just purchased the day prior. The next 15 minutes were spent appeasing Sims in the tutorial. The next hour plus was spent being denied access to a single player game because of server issues. Sim City is just about as fun as waiting in traffic in order to pay a toll, except tolls actually pay for upkeep of the road or bridge you're driving on. Paying for Sim City rewards for EA for screwing their customers.

I wish I could pirate this game just to stick it to EA, which is ironic because I hate EA mostly because of the they do to thwart pirates.
  67. Mar 7, 2013
    Unable to play days after release means a 0 score. No business is allowed to get away with this kind of service and neither should EA. I feel bad for the team at Maxis but unfortunately we're past the age where a design team can be easily separated from the distribution team. Shame on everyone.
  68. Mar 7, 2013
    This game got a 79 review??? Wow, I wonder how many BJ's the EA execs had to give to these reviewers to get that high a score. All of the critics who gave this game such a high review should be embarrassed for their reviews. Its time EA is put out of its misery. Everyone who is unhappy with the game should request a refund. I purchased a download version of the game from Amazon and I wasThis game got a 79 review??? Wow, I wonder how many BJ's the EA execs had to give to these reviewers to get that high a score. All of the critics who gave this game such a high review should be embarrassed for their reviews. Its time EA is put out of its misery. Everyone who is unhappy with the game should request a refund. I purchased a download version of the game from Amazon and I was able to get a refund from them. I've also heard of people even getting refunds from EA so don't just give up on the money you paid for the game. Expand
  69. Mar 7, 2013
    so who are these people making these games for exactly? Because it surely not me. i waited in line for an hour for this "crap". Online only? Really? i have yet to get any real game time in because of this "online only bs". did these people ever take into consideration that i may not want to play with little Billy? These new game dev's are missing in the brain if they think gaming isso who are these people making these games for exactly? Because it surely not me. i waited in line for an hour for this "crap". Online only? Really? i have yet to get any real game time in because of this "online only bs". did these people ever take into consideration that i may not want to play with little Billy? These new game dev's are missing in the brain if they think gaming is about what they think is awesum. its about "US", the gamers since atari, the paying customer. Learn to read reviews, and make games based on what "we" want, because it is us that pay for the crap. Expand
  70. Mar 7, 2013
    SimCity is a game, and a service rolled into one. I pre-ordered and paid for the game in March of 2012 because I believed that Maxis and EA could deliver an excellent experience. Since SimCity went live on Tuesday, I have managed to spend less than 2 hours playing. I was kicked off server around 1240pm Tuesday March 5th and have not been able to log in since. All I see are busy servers,SimCity is a game, and a service rolled into one. I pre-ordered and paid for the game in March of 2012 because I believed that Maxis and EA could deliver an excellent experience. Since SimCity went live on Tuesday, I have managed to spend less than 2 hours playing. I was kicked off server around 1240pm Tuesday March 5th and have not been able to log in since. All I see are busy servers, queues which aren't queues and little information from Maxis or EA. SimCity is supposed to be an experience, and right now, the experience is pure frustration. The service part of SimCity rates a 0 out of 10 because it is simply non existent. There is no way of getting past this service to give a review of the game so I am forced to rate only the service part of SimCity. I wish I could be more generous but as I am unable to play at all, this is the review. Expand
  71. Mar 7, 2013
    I've come home from work every day this week hoping for some improvement with the connection problems yet all I encounter are more downtimes. I could get past all of that, but what I can't get past is that when I do manage to get connected my cities are not saved. When I go to resume game it says I'm not playing in any games... Oh but I am! I've started 3 or 4 cities now. ApparentlyI've come home from work every day this week hoping for some improvement with the connection problems yet all I encounter are more downtimes. I could get past all of that, but what I can't get past is that when I do manage to get connected my cities are not saved. When I go to resume game it says I'm not playing in any games... Oh but I am! I've started 3 or 4 cities now. Apparently the whole saving your progress thing isn't a part of the new Sim City. Expand
  72. Mar 7, 2013
    I am the player who only want to enjoy the game after work. Don't make the online game if EA does not effort it. I do like the new version, but I do hate try and wait to play. Can't enter the server at all!!!!
  73. Mar 7, 2013
    Haven't been able to play; I knew about the always-on DRM but thought it would only "call home" but ultimately be a local game, completely independent of whatever happens with EA's servers.

But no, seems I am tied to the reliability of the connection, their servers and the network cable not being chewed by a giant troll.

Even Steam allows me an offline mode. Please, EA?
  74. Mar 8, 2013
    EA went so over the top to try and prevent pirating/used game sales that they completely destroyed what the game was intended to be, a great time sink when you do not have access to the internet or are traveling ect.. Not many fans of this type of game are going to play this instead of their staple games when they have the choice. Also not being able to save your city then completelyEA went so over the top to try and prevent pirating/used game sales that they completely destroyed what the game was intended to be, a great time sink when you do not have access to the internet or are traveling ect.. Not many fans of this type of game are going to play this instead of their staple games when they have the choice. Also not being able to save your city then completely destroy it through whatever hilarious methods the old sim citys provided just takes away one of the most entertaining aspects of the game.

My wife walked by when I was playing the beta and got all excited because she though I was playing a new version of "The Sims" that seems to be the target audience of this new game. It is so watered down from what it should have been its gross.

Anyone giving this game more than a 0 does not understand that us fans need to send a message to developers that this crap watered down DRM filled of a game is not acceptable and I will BOYCOTT all future EA games until they turn the company around.
  75. Mar 8, 2013
    DRM, CITY SIZES SMALLER THAN MY BALLS, SERVER ISSUES, SERVER WAIT, BUGS, DUM MULTIPLAYER MODE, okay and it is addicting i give you that and it looks a bit better than sc4. EA WTF!!!!!!!! AND ITS 60 BUCKS FOR THIS TRASH!!!! I BETTER GET COMPENSATED FOR THIS AFTER ITS ALL FIXED!!!
  76. Mar 8, 2013
    First of all, I have NEVER written a game review in my 36 years of gaming. I tried to put all the hate comments aside and bought it on day one. I actually played a few hours before my first disconnection. Since then, it has been nothing but frustration. Disconnects, lost data, game elements removed, and complete disappointment. The game itself is good, but all the issues that I haveFirst of all, I have NEVER written a game review in my 36 years of gaming. I tried to put all the hate comments aside and bought it on day one. I actually played a few hours before my first disconnection. Since then, it has been nothing but frustration. Disconnects, lost data, game elements removed, and complete disappointment. The game itself is good, but all the issues that I have experienced since purchasing have completely taken away any joy I have had. If you are going to purchase this game, wait until the issues are resolved as it is completely unplayable right now. Expand
  77. Mar 8, 2013
    Ok so to start off I have registered on Metacritic just to warn people how bad of a game this is. Something I haven't done before...
    Sim City has a forced DRM something EVERYONE knew for a while now. This is bad to a stage where I haven't been able to run my game in 2 days. I got as far as claiming my city and playing 5 min past tutorial when server disconnected.
    I CANT LIVE WITH
    I CANT LIVE WITH THAT, early days are always hectic I o not approve of always on DRM and I even hate it but I will not mar Sim City low for that as I knew what I was getting into.

THE BAD PART is that this is not Sim City, game is dumbed down from the start and city squares are so TINY that this can't even be called Sim Town but merely a Sim Village.

If the game was called something along the lines of Sims 3 Societies I am sure people wouldn't mind as it would attract a different type of players but for the love of what's sacred to you PLEASE do not call it Sim City.

If not for the fact I actually have some decent games on Origin I would try selling my account just to give it away! Luckily for me I still own good old Sim City 4 Rush Hour on Steam so I am signing off and goin to build a new metropolis.

P.S: If Sim city 5 adds bigger city squares through a paid DLC we should consider adding a negative scores on Metacritic as this is a piss poor marketing policy...
  78. Mar 8, 2013
    I love the SimCity franchise, which is why this pains me so much. I owned the original SimCity, SimCity2000, SimCity4, and I think one other somewhere in the mix. This game is unworthy of the name. From tiny maps that are not even a fraction of the size of SimCity2000 and artificially scarce resources meant to push this "connective" social experience (meant to justify the always onlineI love the SimCity franchise, which is why this pains me so much. I owned the original SimCity, SimCity2000, SimCity4, and I think one other somewhere in the mix. This game is unworthy of the name. From tiny maps that are not even a fraction of the size of SimCity2000 and artificially scarce resources meant to push this "connective" social experience (meant to justify the always online DRM), the game is simply terrible. Gone are features like subways and pipe laying to make your town more efficient, and the ability to save games or go back to old saves... introduced are hours-long waits to connect to DRM servers, random city deletion from their servers, and excuse after excuse as to how the always-online feature would make the game better if you could play it.

It might merit a 1 on any other day, but EA/Origins is denying customers who bought directly a refund, if you purchased from Amazon or anywhere else, you're in luck, but if you bought the game directly from the maker... they want you to be far more patient with demanding a refund than they were with charging you for their non-functional product.

Between the abject failure of the game and the absolutely terrible customer service, my only regret is that I cannot give this game a negative score. Not only have I not enjoyed it, purchasing this game has caused considerable stress and frustration as I either waited to play or waited on the phone with my bank to get the chargeback. This experience has been so awful that not only would I not recommend purchasing this particular title, I would strongly urge readers to not purchase anything from EA ever again.
  79. Mar 9, 2013
    Pathetic. Refusal to refund money when they breach their end of the contract. Threatening people with bans if they argue about wanting their money back. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM EA or MAXIS. FORCED ONLINE DRM is ANTI-AMERICAN and ANTI-GAMER! do not buy or use this product. Wait until it is hacked and put up online then get it for free and play it at will on YOUR computer when YOU want to!
  80. Mar 9, 2013
    This game is absolutely abysmal. Not only is SimCity a seriously dumbed down version of its predecessors, without terraforming, highways, subways, water tubes OR power lines, but the maps are TINY as well. One can only assume that this is a direct result of the always online DRM, and server side 'simulation' that this game comes packed with. This, in turn, also means that the small 'city'This game is absolutely abysmal. Not only is SimCity a seriously dumbed down version of its predecessors, without terraforming, highways, subways, water tubes OR power lines, but the maps are TINY as well. One can only assume that this is a direct result of the always online DRM, and server side 'simulation' that this game comes packed with. This, in turn, also means that the small 'city' limits we have now will be stuck with us for the foreseeable future due to hardware limitations on EAs side (which have been made very obvious over the past few days), despite what EA and their sockpuppet Maxis have constantly been promising. These limitations, coupled with the ongoing connectivity problems, have really ruined this game for me. I absolutely adored playing the older versions of SimCity, and all EA would've needed to do with this game for it to be good would've been using SimCity 4 mechanics and adding CityXL graphics, but they managed to screw it all up. This complete sack of crap is more worthy of the name 'The Sims 3 Build Your Neighbourhood' than the name it was given, and I beg anyone out there who is thinking of buying this game to NOT give it the benefit of the doubt, for I certainly did and I am now stuck trying to get a refund for my Origin purchase. Ugh. Expand
  81. Mar 9, 2013
    I would have preferred that put me in the queue to pay for and download the game and not for play it. EA scandalous. Too bad the game itself is very well done. Well done Maxis. Much worse EA games.
  82. Mar 9, 2013
    1. Terrible online concept, 2. the citysize should be three times larger, this is like kindergaren facebookgame-size.. my tip to EA, you should change your name from EA, because i see a huge decline in your name.
  83. Mar 9, 2013
    One of the worst games I've ever played. The DRM it's killing the game. You are forced to be online whenever you wanna play the game... WTF? The game has good ideas, but it's imposible to play because of the DRM. Epic Fail
  84. Mar 9, 2013
    We are a few days after launch and the same problems persist, altough slightly improved. EA and Maxis try to buy off the buyers opinion with an apology that came way too late and a freebie was promised. But they do not acknowledge the fact that the fault lies by the always online DRM. This not sit well with this hard working avid Gamer. Too litle too late. Save your money, don't buy EA
  85. Mar 9, 2013
    Long time user of MC, first time poster. Long time player of Maxis games(Simcity, earth, ant, copter, etc). I've had this game since March 5th when it came out. I installed it that day. I've attempted to just play the game since then without success. It is now March 9th at 5:45am. I have tried every server listed. All I get is "Unable to load the city at this time. Please try again."Long time user of MC, first time poster. Long time player of Maxis games(Simcity, earth, ant, copter, etc). I've had this game since March 5th when it came out. I installed it that day. I've attempted to just play the game since then without success. It is now March 9th at 5:45am. I have tried every server listed. All I get is "Unable to load the city at this time. Please try again." Origin shows that I've played this game for 36 hours. That is how long I have attempted to get in to play the game I've been waiting years to play. I have not played it once. I have no problem with online DRM but I do have a problem with using it when your infrastructure before, during, and after game launch clearly can not handle it. Very highly disappointed with Maxis and EA. I'm sure they are trying to fix things but this is just completely unacceptable. I will not be changing my user score, even once I get to play it. People need to know what they are buying(consumers) and what their inadequate infrastructure and operations is doing to their reputation and future sales(Maxis/EA). Expand
  86. Mar 9, 2013
    Why do i have to be always online, to play offline singleplayer? I would like to play when im on the road, at my grandparrents house or on vacation. Those places either don't have a internet connection, or a steady connection. Not just is the online forced on us! But it dosn't even work correctly, people can not login to play the game they purchased. And those few who can, end up gettingWhy do i have to be always online, to play offline singleplayer? I would like to play when im on the road, at my grandparrents house or on vacation. Those places either don't have a internet connection, or a steady connection. Not just is the online forced on us! But it dosn't even work correctly, people can not login to play the game they purchased. And those few who can, end up getting server issues, their cities are not saved etc..

Day 1 dlc also leaves a bad taste in my mouth, it's sad to see that things that where already finished and ready to be put in the game. Is now being sold the same day the game releases. To turn a even greater profit for EA. The game is mostly bare bones, with content needing to be purchased to fullfill the emptiness. This game is not worth the money, the wait or the troubles. I can not recommend it, and i myself have turned it back to EA. 0/10
  87. Mar 9, 2013
    when it says servers are available, they actually aren't, I've spent the better part of 3 hours trying to connect to available servers only for ea to say servers are not available, on at least 6 different ones, the game looks good, but i cant play it, its a waste of time now even attempting it, if i could get on to play, who knows, i'd probably enjoy it, but i guess even tho i bought thewhen it says servers are available, they actually aren't, I've spent the better part of 3 hours trying to connect to available servers only for ea to say servers are not available, on at least 6 different ones, the game looks good, but i cant play it, its a waste of time now even attempting it, if i could get on to play, who knows, i'd probably enjoy it, but i guess even tho i bought the game we shall never know if its any good, money thrown away buying this. Expand
  88. Mar 9, 2013
    Well what's left to say? EA doing it again and deserves the ****
    Every game EA touches becomes an fortunately i didn't buy this piece of ****.

It's over EA is finished
  89. Mar 9, 2013
    Is this a scam game?

My wife bought this game for me as a birthday present, but it does not work!

I can't get into game because there is some sort of queue. I can't turn off multiplayer, I just want to play single player! WHY I NEED TO WAIT?
  90. Mar 9, 2013
    I want my money back....
    This game is not worth the bit it takes to throw it around in cyberspace server connection in a single player game is a joke. Graphics is way below standards of the average 2003 game (yes correct...2003 not 2013). The atmosphere that has been a trademark in the earlier versions of this game is all but gone. Why, why, why did I ever by this piece of junk????
  91. Mar 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nipaigrat`!!!111 Lamal vseh v anal! EA nubyi suka, vashu papu, deda! Vse plohom igra crutaya, no servera huynya, ya vas shatal vseh!!!111 nipaigrat`!!! Ad vas zhdet!!! Expand
  92. Mar 9, 2013
    Broken Game, Missing Features, Always On DRM, Generally Awful.

Another game EA truly got it's hands on. I'm honestly not surprised that EA has managed to turn a game which was highly anticipated and could have been game of the year into a pile of smoldering garbage.
  93. Mar 9, 2013
    This is the most useless game I've ever seen. Ontop of the servers being down since launch a worse debacle since Dialbo3 the game wouldn't even work anyway. Forcing people to have an ALWAYS on internet connection to play a single player offline mode is about as pointless as having three forks in one had trying to eat a meal.
  94. Mar 9, 2013
    At some point they'll turn the servers off and it won't be possible to play ever again. Not that it's possible to play now... I'd recommend buying an old used copy of Sim City 4 instead. Or an old copy of Civ.
  95. Mar 9, 2013
    Sim City was based on two things when I was growing up. 1) the ability to create huge sprawling cities (enter cheats, create disasters, etc) and 2) to run the game on cheetah if you did not cheat and allow you to accumulate money. EA has completely blundered at recreating any nostalgia for people that grew up playing Sim City. I do not mind playing on servers, if the servers are adequateSim City was based on two things when I was growing up. 1) the ability to create huge sprawling cities (enter cheats, create disasters, etc) and 2) to run the game on cheetah if you did not cheat and allow you to accumulate money. EA has completely blundered at recreating any nostalgia for people that grew up playing Sim City. I do not mind playing on servers, if the servers are adequate and allow for all of the game to be played. I looked forward to playing many hours of this game. Now, I have friends that have lost cities due to the server inconsistency. Then, because EA wanted this to be a multiplayer game because the city size is not large enough for single player.I had a useless region with half of the cities corrupt because of server issues. EA I have owned many of games and I can say that this is the game that broke the back for the company. I will no longer be purchasing EA titles. Goodbye Madden, NCAA, Tiger Woods, et al. Expand
  96. Mar 9, 2013
    This always on DRM limits the usability of games in ridiculous ways. Gone is the ability to play this game on a road trip, during a long layover, in a hotel on vacation, or anywhere else you might not have an always on connection. But what scares me even more is how blatantly the DRM proclaims you aren't buying the game, you're only renting it. This DRM means you can only play this game asThis always on DRM limits the usability of games in ridiculous ways. Gone is the ability to play this game on a road trip, during a long layover, in a hotel on vacation, or anywhere else you might not have an always on connection. But what scares me even more is how blatantly the DRM proclaims you aren't buying the game, you're only renting it. This DRM means you can only play this game as long as EA allows you to and they can pull that permission any time they want to. As soon as EA decides it isn't worth it to maintain the servers necessary to play, the game you paid $60 for becomes absolutely useless. And I know this review hasn't touched on the actual game play but it's very difficult to review something that you can't play because of the stupid DRM. Expand
  97. Mar 9, 2013
    While the game looks great, it is not satisfying in the way its predecessors were. My biggest complaints include the city plot size (which is confusingly small), and lack of terraforming. I want to create a large customized city as in Simcity 4, and I'm stuck with building villages on cookie cutter terrain. Massive disappointment.
  98. Mar 9, 2013
    DRM aside (which I don't support but can live with) this game is not what you'd expect from the the creators of simcity 4. I first actually got to play 2 days after purchase due to server issues but what I found is a game that is better suited for Facebook, I have little creativity in city creation and I have to start where they pre determine my highway connection is. The city I createDRM aside (which I don't support but can live with) this game is not what you'd expect from the the creators of simcity 4. I first actually got to play 2 days after purchase due to server issues but what I found is a game that is better suited for Facebook, I have little creativity in city creation and I have to start where they pre determine my highway connection is. The city I create very very quickly fills its boarders and the topography is non adjustable which wouldn't be so bad of the game wasn't 2km by 2km, I mean come on I want an in depth opportunity to be the creative city building nerd I always dreamed of but I find myself much more satisfied with building in tropico than this game and they don't even have a sewer system to build or subways.... Oh wait neither does simcity 5 Expand
  99. Mar 9, 2013
    I think GameSpot's review of this game says it best. This is a 5/10 game at best. I'm going to give it a 3. Don't get me wrong, over the next year I'm sure they'll sort out some of the issues, but in it's current state, it never should have been put in sale.

Once I heard about the always online requirement, I knew this game would be a wreck. Server issues aside, there are serious design flaws and limitations around single player play. Even when you give in to the "social" aspect that was created to justify the always online DRM, you find loads of bugs that prevent you from working with others, allow others to wreck your cities, or even cause you to lose your city entirely. The level of frustration and disappointment is unbelievable.

At the core, SimCity does some things better than ever, but it rarely works long enough for you to tell. In the end, it lacks the size, scale and features of previous versions, and spends most of it's time frustrating you.
  100. Mar 9, 2013
    DRM Is a Part of the game, and good game journalist's scores should reflect that. As should the always On experience be reflected in the games score.

Hopefully gamers will now know not to trust scores from people who do not take both of these into consideration. If you cannot play a single player game single player at launch for any reason, the game is not worth the time of day nor

If you cannot play a single player game single player at launch for any reason, the game is not worth the time of day nor your money.
  101. Mar 5, 2013
    EA spent a great amount of resources to convince a loyal fanbase always online will not be a problem, and then hyped up a release while promising the servers will handle launch load. Then you completely fail to deliver, and have prevented the vast majority of your players who just want a single player experience from even playing. That is false advertising, and you failed to deliver theEA spent a great amount of resources to convince a loyal fanbase always online will not be a problem, and then hyped up a release while promising the servers will handle launch load. Then you completely fail to deliver, and have prevented the vast majority of your players who just want a single player experience from even playing. That is false advertising, and you failed to deliver the product we paid for. Collapse

Given enough patches and DCLs, SimCity might eventually become the game that should have been on its release and justify the ambiguous choices that its developers made. [May 2013]
  2. May 9, 2013
    Hints at great things but is limited by small cities and promises it can't deliver on. [June 2013, p.80]
  3. May 9, 2013
    There's more problems with this game than I have words. Looks great though. [June 2013, p.80]