2.2

1. Mar 7, 2013
    Their is really no better way to put this, Will Wright enjoyed portions of the game itself, but his lack of actual experience in the franchise or activity "creating" outside of the original has long since past. So typically, when compared to previous entries in the franchise, this title is basically a turd wrapped in incredibly tasty bacon- Great on the outside, but the core mechanics of the game are a massive step back from the established concepts. The tragedy of all of this, is that EA is likely to not take any feedback whatsoever from the reactions on sites like metacritic and will continue to release expansion/ content packs in a vain attempt to tie Simcity to "The Sims. trilogy." Very little good comes from games that are released in this form, DRM, Online Only and I own a lot of software these days. The twist is that titles I've payed good money for that use this methodology are actually titles I don't bother to play anymore hardly at all. Of course software companies do not care, they already have my money and really we should be the consumers to spot this lunacy and stop it on our own. The irony is piracy, with its foreshadowed "end" near according to the six strikes rule, couldn't be a better example of the people that are still getting the better product overall. I own all the Simcity games, I own all of the Sims games up to the second one and its just astonishing to see backlash like this go unheeded once again. You'd think a company like EA would learn from follies like "Spore," but even years after that disastrous release, they still commit to this absurd idea that a good percentage of us don't want to be legitimate customers. Their are more people than ever purchasing software (in the middle of a recession- I may add) and yet these once "industry leaders" offer very little respect to the consumer base they rely on for everything. Piracy isn't the only way to understand why a game is floundering after release and much like Diablo III, the end result will be the same with such ridiculous security standards. Was I excited when Diablo III was announced featuring constant "online activation" at all times just so I could play it? Of course not. It garnered no interest from me regardless of such silly anti-piracy measures. I enjoyed Diablo and its sequel, namely because they were solid games that were received well by most people when they came out. Did I enjoy the Warcraft series? Of course and does that mean that I'm a filthy pirate for not purchasing World of Warcraft or even playing it? I guess what I'm merely suggesting is, if the interest is there- than a sale they would see. These companies pump up their advertising for these games, get Will freakin' Wright to comment on it, and it still ends up being a terribly average game. Meanwhile, Tomb Raider is actually pretty solid, and you can bet that I will be purchasing that game fairly soon. Meanwhile, another city builder game that hardly even builds from its former will never get my attention or my sale. It certainly won't be getting pirated either. Expand
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    I haven't been able to play an uninterrupted 30 minutes over the last two days. This launch was disgraceful. These issues should have been easily cleared up with an open beta, staggered launch or more that TWO servers in North America at launch. Bye bye future business EA. I hate to be this nit-picky about the first two days, but if another business sold you something that took two days to work, you would have taken it back light-years before you got to day two. EA should be ashamed. Expand
  3. Mar 11, 2013
    Last EA game I will ever buy.........and if this is the way single player games are going on PC....probably one of the last PC games I ever buy.
    EA=FAIL
  4. Mar 6, 2013
    Absolutely the best iteration of the Sim City series. It's nothing short of genius, and insanely addictive. I've not had any problems with servers or DRM.
  5. Mar 6, 2013
    Sim City could have been great. But the game beeing impossible to play and the non-existent answers and explanations from EA/Maxis are unacceptable. Do we want to support a company that doesnt care about customers? How many calories would it have taken EA to come forward with an official statement about the state of the game and when we will be able to play it. No, stay away from this title.
  6. Mar 6, 2013
    Always on DRM preventing me from playing my SINGLE PLAYER GAME?
    Who would have thought it. Doing a chargeback on my credit card. Screw origin, screw EA.
  7. Mar 7, 2013
    I can probably get over launch issues as I did during the D3 launch, but the fact that you can barely build a in this game is outrageous. The smallest map in SC4 is like 4-8 times larger than a 2x2 SimCity map. This is not a game I desired for. This is merely a cretin facebook-style game in a 3d decorations.
  8. Mar 5, 2013
    BEWARE: Forced online DRM, will you be playing this 10 years down the track like previous Sim Cities? No, you wont. And they want this, so you buy the next one. Servers go down? Well screw you, EA already has your money. DLC available from release, server side save-games. I repeat, FORCED ONLINE DRM Also, server queues at launch. Thanks for destroying video gaming and my most treasured franchise.
  9. Mar 11, 2013
    SimCity is a case study in the danger of pre-ordering titles. The launch was messed up so badly that even as they restore the title's playability the initial terrible impression lingers and further mars the experience in the future. I've heard the official position of the value of an always-on connection for the game and that it is needed to for "social features". Yeah, I'm not buying the argument. Look, I get that these games are incredibly expensive to make and that publishers need to fend off piracy and losses from dud releases to stay in business, but I'm positive that this is not the way to approach it. Anyway, there are a lot of cool titles this year (including the release of Playstation 4) and you might want to save your money for those instead. Pass on this one. Expand
  10. Mar 11, 2013
    SimCity has a handful of innovation; such as, upgradeable buildings, roads providing power/water to buildings, and the ability to trade resources and services with other cities. Visually, it is a clean looking, well built game. Unfortunately, the much hated always-on DRM and forced multiplayer aspect keep any of the innovations from being noticed. Network outages, problems with saving progress and difficulty connecting to the game's servers continue even as I post this: 6 days after launch. After every one of the server issues are fixed I feel SimCity warrants a 5 out of 10. Expand
  11. Mar 13, 2013
    A fun city builder with lofty ideas of having several cities working together. Fun to play as one city but you quickly need to expand and specialise and here the game just falls apart. Servers frequently refuse to sync your cities meaning although one has surplus power and the other has surplus water they won't buy from each other. The AI is hilariously bad, pathfinding is more reminiscent of an 80's game than a modern sim. Will review my score in a month! Expand
  12. Mar 7, 2013
    This is an update to my review. After two days of not being able to play due to server issues, I finally was able to press the play button about 10 minutes ago. When I pressed play the game instantly crashes. As I played the beta I reported that this game IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH CROSSFIRE, and that it at least should be compatible even if it doesn't utilise it. I can see they did not read my comment or didn't care, so without thinking to turn off crossfire, I excitedly pressed play and it crashes. Now I'm waiting again in the server queue to play what is ostensibly is a SINGLE PLAYER GAME. Seriously why can't we give negative reviews? And why in the heck are the "critic" reviews so positive? Do they have access to special servers or what? This game is such a disappointment to me as I loved every SimCity game (even Simcity 4 with its horribly inefficient engine!). Expand
  13. Mar 7, 2013
    The DRM is inexcusable.
    The fact that this is a goddamn $80 game that's next to unplayable is inexcusable.
    The fact that this is an extremely incomplete $80 game with tons of already finished DLC on the way is inexcusable.

This is the single worst game EA has made since Spore. Spore.
  14. Mar 6, 2013
    No game which requires the user to be online and connected to external servers during solo play should ever receive a score above 0. This sort of invasive DRM must be stopped. We should not be forced into maintaining an outside connection for no other purpose than to assure some overly greedy and paranoid corporate executive that we are not criminals.
  15. Mar 8, 2013
    Do not buy this Trash of a game, EA does not deserve to be a company for this, makes me never want to buy another game from them again. Thanks for nothing... sigh should have bought crack with the 60 dollars...
  16. Mar 8, 2013
    All server problems aside; This game lacks most of the features that made previous simcity games so great. The city size is a big joke, always online DRM is resulting in people not being able to play the game, losing savegames and a whole list of drama. Terraforming is out... Agriculture is out... modding is out... but I'd say the city size is the biggest mistake they've made. You can make a village at best but don't expect to make the huge scale cities like you're used to in SC4 for example. The modding scene is what made simcity 4 immortal. Obviously this has been taken out to suck more money out of you through DLC. I'm sorry to say... but SimCity is now officially dead. Back to the great modding community over at simtropolis and playing a REAL simcity Expand
  17. Mar 6, 2013
    Yet another horrible design choice by the EA that yet again disguises a blatant DRM as a "game feature" Always connected alienates most users who like to enjoy a solo game and not sit in a queue for hours, EA has ruined many franchises and companies and runs a monopoly on everything that brings cash and not quality, and the fact that you can't progress in some parts of the game without help from other players is laughable

I've never liked EA mostly because of how the business is run, and how they've pocketed most companies i hold dear, Once again the pirates who download this illegally will have a good time playing single-player and the loyal paying costumer who care for the Sim city franchise gets to wait in queue and have to play on EA's low quality servers whom probably will be shut down in a few years, so it's like you're renting the game for a long time :D... I had hopes for this game, but thanks to users speaking their voices and telling it like it is, i will NEVER purchase this, and strongly consider not buying anything that EA has direct control over ever again, I may sound Cynical and angry, but the game may be as good as a 10/10 and i would still stand by these words, because the basic principle of how EA runs their companies is so ruthless sometimes, it's only good for a boycott, if i could go back in time i would cut the head of the growing beast that is EA and instead nurture indie and promising companies that can stand competition, most companies learned from past DRM fiasco's but not EA, that's my opinion anyway.
  18. Mar 6, 2013
    well lets see, i may have been able to give this game a better score but since its now been out for almost 2 full days, i have yet to be able to play it for more then 20 minutes due to all the stupid errors and server issues. i though you guys ran a beta to prevent all this. good job EA, just know that i will NEVER, EVER, not in a million years, ever, pre-purchase one of your games. EVER!
  19. Mar 6, 2013
    The game itself isnt this bad, but the use of DRM for an experience which should clearly be one player is disgusting. I could live with the pathetic cant connect to server errors if I could play it single player while waiting for them to resolve their issues, but my patience has been worn thin by these greedy fools and their always online foolishness. From now on, any single player game with an always online requirement will automatically fall into the "Do Not Buy" category, even if its a classic. Expand
  20. Mar 11, 2013
    First, a note. I am going to 100% ignore the Always On DRM, even though I hate hate hate it, and I am furious at myself for supporting its continued existence, and it has and will continue to plague players of SimCity for as long as EA keeps the servers up for it, and then it will be 100% unplayable for all time ever, thank you for your money, give us more soon.

No, I am going to ignore
    that because most reviews fall into two camps: The game sucks because of the DRM, or the game is good once you get past the DRM. But even when you ignore the DRM, SimCity is a below average city builder with many glaring problems. First, the roads. The roads are incredibly difficult to place exactly as you want them. They tend to be glitchy, not letting you turn a 3-way intersection into a 4-way or not letting you make a turn if part of the road is bent slightly. Even on flat land, roads can be problematic, but presented with any kind of a hill and roads become hard to place and nearly useless. Nothing can be built on hills, so any road that runs along a hill becomes useless. In real life, hills with water views become covered with expensive houses, but in SimCity, they are just big piles of dirt, sometimes with a road on it. The pathfinding on roads is also incredibly suspect. While en route to a fire, firemen will often go in circles ten to fifteen times before finding the path or finding an even cooler place to do donuts. This is something you will likely experience very soon after starting your first city, because the first thing new fire departments like to do is shoot off a bunch of fireworks, which start fires all over your city.

Just get one of the many city builders that actually work. I quite like Tropico 4 (which has its own form of annoying DRM, but not nearly as bad as SimCity).
  21. Mar 5, 2013
    This game so far has been a waste of time and money. In the words of the IGN Launch Day Review "Who could possibly have predicted that SimCity would experience launch day problems due to its online requirement? Right: everyone. Everyone predicted that. With waiting an entire evening with my family watching the 20 minute clock counter go by for the 900th time and getting a whopping total of 10 minutes of game play before the game crashed, I know that SimCity was not worth my hard earned money or the time to play it. Expand
  22. Mar 6, 2013
    I have now tried to play the game (west Europe), it is not possible. If i can't play the game even if i enter the servers then there is no gameplay. Score is ofc. 0 until there is a game I can play.
  23. Mar 7, 2013
    Do not buy this game, so not support corrupt businesses. EA continues to harm their paying customers in every way possible. Do not let them see a single penny.
  24. Mar 6, 2013
    Need to cancel out all of the 9&10's. THIS GAME IS A TRAVESTY! Pros: Graphics Cons: EVERYTHING ELSE! Enough yelling, sorry, but I am really disappointing by this game and the ongoing trend of releasing "sequels" with less options and features. Sim City 4 is better in every way other than graphics. Are they serious with how small these "cities" are?

... and then you get to the always on
    DRM Day 1 DLC atrocities. You know people are going to want to play the game on day 1, why you suck so much, EA? Aren't you making enough money ruining all of the other franchises? I just want to pull my hair out. Expand
  25. Mar 7, 2013
    Lots of fun playing but the server problems are extremely frustrating considering there is no real time interaction with other players. This game should have been single player offline capable, the fact that it is online only is an enormous downside.
  26. Mar 7, 2013
    Game seems fun, by the 30-minutes or so i've gotten to play (maximum!). Been looking forward to this game for a long time.

But in this state with the unavailable servers and constant disconnection, no way. One would think that they would have beefed up on servers to meet the demand. I mean, come on. It's 2013.

Drop this DRM-crap and let us choose to play offline if we want to. Or do
    the game launch right. Expand
  27. Mar 11, 2013
    Always online DRM for what's essentially a single-player experience. Please Gamers, vote with your money. Stop providing EA sales figures that their executives use to justify continued anti-consumerist practices. There are lots of fine, gamer-friendly, indie games out therefor you to spend your time and money on. Don't forget, EA turned off server support for Madden and FIfa 2011 already. Those games are only 2.5 years old and have lost their online support. EA is quite willing to shutdown servers for their games to force you to buy newer versions. What happens when SimCity's servers are shutdown in a few years? You won't be able to play a game that you bought. Actually, strike that. You didn't purchase a game. You purchased a service from EA. A terrible one at that. Can you imagine any other service that's so intrusive and shoddy? I wouldn't pay for it. Expand
  28. Mar 6, 2013
    What score would you give to a restaurant where the food was supposed to be pretty good, but instead of being served the meal you ordered, the waiter just tells you that you have to wait another half hour for the next 2 hours and then have to leave hungry because you never got a meal? And so, you leave to go to work and come back the next day and still are told that you need to wait a half hours. What do you think the review for that meal should be?

Would you give it a "8" because you hear the meal is supposed to be pretty dang good or would it be the same score I am giving SimCity?

When the service (needing to be online to play single player) and the food (the game itself) are the same thing, you need to think about it. There is no excuse for it. If you cannot handle the initial brunt of people trying to use your product, it shouldn't have limitations that keep them from doing it.

I can't rate this game any higher as after 2 days, I still can't actually play it because there are other people playing it. I'm glad I didn't buy it for myself, but I feel bad that I have to lie to my friend who did buy it for me as a gift.
  29. Mar 12, 2013
    The game has a lot of problems. Only one of them actually matters. Never support always online DRM for a single player game. Lots of people cannot play their single player game because of this and gamers need to do everything they can to stop developers from including it.
  30. Mar 5, 2013
    Absolutely and amazing and engrossing and engaging game! I think all the user scores ae so low because the high score critics are too busy playing. I picked the Deluxe version on Origin yesterday. It downloaded 2 minutes before midnight and has worked flawlessly since. This is not Sim City 4 and it is not trying to be like it either. It is a game all to itself and should be rated as such. Always on online DRM thingy...yeah...ummm I am not sure what the problem is. I think some folks are just a little too paranoid. Who plays computer games and is not always online???? I say kudos to Maxis and EA for taking an interest in supporting their product on a regular basis.

Now to the actual game. Beautiful. Detailed. Easy to play. Complicated choices. Choices that actually mean something to your sims and the city you are attempting to sculpt. The learning curve is not terribly steep, but figuring out how to manage things gives you a real sense of the stresses of being in city government. I loved Sim City 2000. I adored Sim City 4. I am enamored with Sim City. There is so much to do in one single city. I am not extremely concerned with the map size (the only reason this review is not a 10) because I haven't even been able to perfect my gameplay in a small singular city. I can't destroy my city and start over...boooohoooooo! This is forcing me to actually play the game. I have to figure out the mistakes I make. I can't just delete the city and start over fresh. I have to figure things out. Sounds kind of realistic to me...something like a realistic sim...hmmmm...Sim City! I have not spent much time in the multiplayer universe yet. I am more of a solo player and guess what that is what I have been doing all day. Solo play. So stop crabbing about the multiplayer aspect! I cannot express it enough for fans of Sim City 2000 and Sim City 4...get your hands on this and play it for what it is. It does not claim to be either of those two games. It stands on its own and it stands tall. When you have the smallest detail such as: the moving trucks that move your Sims in have spelled out on them 6AM you know it has to be a great game...a great Sim City game. Good work Maxis! Good work EA! 5/5 97% and two thumbs up
  31. Mar 5, 2013
    Sorry to disappoint all the naysayers of this game. But I really like it. It is a very deep city simulation that relies on relationships between cities in a region and not just one city. Yes, the game is online, yes your single city region is smaller than people from 10 years ago are used to, but I prefer to have fun in my life and not dwell on such trivial BS. My wife and I are having a great time and enjoying SimCity. A must buy for fans of the series and gaming. I would say it is not a buy if you are a pessimistic entitled whiner that doesnt enjoy games as much as enjoy spewing negativity in a public forum. Expand
  32. Mar 5, 2013
    EA spent a great amount of resources to convince a loyal fanbase always online will not be a problem, and then hyped up a release while promising the servers will handle launch load. Then you completely fail to deliver, and have prevented the vast majority of your players who just want a single player experience from even playing. That is false advertising, and you failed to deliver the product we paid for. Expand
  33. Mar 5, 2013
    NEVER AGAIN!!! I will never again purchase anything from Origin, EA or Maxis. The always on DRM is simply unusable. I cannot even play my single player game because EA's servers are junk. A SINGLE PLAYER GAME!!! Say it with me... NEVER AGAIN!
  34. Mar 5, 2013
    Always online DRM, smaller, non-connected cities due to engine limitations, DAY 0 DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT, poor customer service and delivery of product (waited almost an hour to connect to my single player game), and a swath of simplifications in the gameplay that ruins it.
  35. Mar 5, 2013
    Game is literally unplayable due to EA's DRM scheme. After installing the game, and signing up for the Origin DRM system, I click on the Tutorial. It crashes the game and the game freezes when I try to restart it to try again. OK, next time I get on the game, I'm at a different menu that has a "Play Game" option. I click on that, it offers me a few choices of where I want to build my city. I figure out which one I like, and I get the message, "Unable to create your city at this time." This product is literally unplayable, I suggest everyone requests a refund, and then we'll think about trying this game again when it works. Also, LOL at the disconnect between user experience and reviewers on here scoring the game. How much are they paying the review site owners? Expand
  36. Mar 5, 2013
    A wonderful game that is ruined by it's implementation. SimCity is a beautiful and unique game to play. You'll find yourself indulged for hours. However, the infrastructure that backs this game is susceptible to high-volumes.
    Digitally the game is setup to play online always. The problem is that, server availability, stability and performance now affect every aspect of the game. So far my
    experience has gone from good to extremely unhappy. This is a very poor implementation of game, and I feel this release is ruined and not worth playing at all. Expand
  37. Mar 6, 2013
    I beta tested this three times, what should have been a fun game has been completely ruined with the inability to play in single-player offline mode. The servers were fraught with problems even during the third beta, which was set up only to stress-test the servers. I am disappointed that they did not fix the issue even by launch day! The game itself is good (albeit not as great as its former self), but DRM is so overwhelmingly intrusive that it is not even worth the $60. Also, they took out the subways and a bunch of other stuff...I understand people want to blame the execs but the out-of-touch marketers and programmers should also be blamed for nerfing this game. Expand
  38. Mar 5, 2013
    Can't log in to US servers, they're all busy or full.
    Log in to european servers, can't create a city.
    Attempt to replay tutorial: Can't create this city at this time!

I should know better than to buy games with DRM like this.
  39. Mar 5, 2013
    It is rare to pay 70 bucks for a game that is unplayable. Simcity has turned out to be one of those games. On launch, it is impossible to create a city in game, since the city creating process is tied to EA's servers and those servers seem to be completely unable to cope with the load. Give that there are only 9 servers worldwide for a game of this alleged magnitude, it just goes to show the ineptitude and level of disconnect that EA has with the gaming community. People decried the always-on as untenable, but EA did it anyway and with unsurprising results. Good show, EA, Simcity is a coaster, a puppet that lies flat on the ground. Behold, it's strings are cut. Move along for there is nothing lo see here but spite and a whisper of a bygone era Expand
  40. Mar 5, 2013
    Server reached maximum capacity!!! Must say that I will never fall into this DRM crap again!! And never buy from EA!! Didn't learn my lesson from SWTOR I guess
  41. Mar 5, 2013
    This steaming pile of coded crap is nothing but a polished up version of Societies. There is nothing new, or innovative to this game. The small city plot size is a joke.

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME IF you loved simcity 4, or 2000.

However, if you want a POS facebook game, waste 60 bux.
  42. Mar 6, 2013
    Just registered on this website to voice my strong criticism of always-online DRM that affects the single player mode of the game. Although any form of DRM is evil and should be resisted by us, the consumers, the fact that the single player mode of Simcity was designed to require a persistent connection to EA's servers is simply beyond belief. Electronic Arts, the biggest video game publisher/developer in the world should know better. Don't buy this game; if you have, get a refund. Expand
  43. Mar 6, 2013
    'Unable to create a city at this time. Please claim a city later.' is the only experience i'm getting from paying my money for this game. Help Center is broken. Getting Started tutorial is also broken! Avoid this game at all cost. 1/10 for the SimCity name.
  44. Mar 6, 2013
    The large city in this game is smaller than the smallest city you could build in earlier games.
    Log on queue when i just want to play my game alone.
    Cartoony graphics designed for autistic child.

Cancer of gaming. Blunder of the year.
  45. Mar 6, 2013
    If they would have called it 'SimCity Social I wouldn't have minded so much. As it stands, it's more like false advertising.

Let's go through this quickly: horrendous server issues, a pretty much unnecessary mandatory online only connection, almost facist DRM, tiny plots of land that are not much bigger than the village I live in, horrible right-angle 'freeway' connections, which are
    totally uneditable, huge swathes of land that are permanently out of reach, overcomplicated and completely unnecessary information on individual citizens (this isn't Tropico...), a permanently depleting water table, inability to restore cities (probably the thing I hate most about this game). I mean, the server issues and ridiculous price they expect people to pay for this game seem trivial compared to this.

For balance, i'll put the things I enjoy: curved roads (excellent!), tilt shift works pretty well, modular building is an excellent idea, the ability to share utilities and buildings between cities is BRILLIANT, some parts of the social experiment are quite interesting.

But it just isn't SimCity. That's what a lot of 'us' expected, and I think we were quite right too. It's not everyday that a game that has been as a good as dead for 10 years comes back to life. It's not everyday that this inspires such a huge reaction, and (fortunately) it's not everyday that a game that was previously a thoroughly fun, expansive and dare I say it adult experience gets reduced to a glorified Facebook game.

Appalling.
  46. Mar 6, 2013
    We as consumers have no one to blame but ourselves for continuing to buy EA products. You get what you pay for and each of us has gotten exactly what we bought. An online only game that you can't play and will be dead in a few years when EA decides they are no longer making money enough to keep the servers up. I am taking a stand here and now and vow this will never happen to me again. Who is with me? Expand
  47. Mar 7, 2013
    Always online DRM is a terrible idea! Learn from Diablo 3 and stop making games like this because people will stop buying these games. EA needs to rethink this business model and SINGLE PLAYER game setup. Wake up people, this stuff is garbage.
  48. Mar 6, 2013
    This game is the steaming pile of raw sewage you would have been able to pump into neighboring cities had the game servers actually worked. EA has proved they simply care about the money and not the product. This games launch issues were worse than Diablo 3 and have not gotten any better. Sad EA ruined such a historic franchise.
  49. Mar 6, 2013
    This game is plagued with problems. First, the obvious: The server overload proves correct all the folks who have been screaming about the always needing to be connected to the servers. I wasn't worried about DRM and no local saves originally, assuming people were just being anti-EA alarmists and that the game would work fine for me, but I was wrong. While it's broken, I can't even play a single player game which is all I want to do in Simcity anyway. That's stupid. I've also had the game crash a dozen times and lost progress. Also, EA is simply telling folks to use a different server if one is busy. A)They're all busy. B)The city you've put hours into doesn't transfer from one server to another, so you have to start all over if you use a different server. I also thought people were overstating how tiny the maps are, but again I was wrong. The map size is severely limiting. I've managed to make large cities, but they all just feel cramped and generic as you have to use every inch of space to get an even decent population. Do you really need skyscrapers to reach 60K citizens? What if I want to build my real-life home city? I can't. Also, I understand the idea of specialization and not needing to build a large amount of industrial or residential in every city, but I find myself constantly having to bulldoze hospitals and police stations (which I had to pay money for) just to make room to put new roads that allow greater density. (also, why can't I simply pave over a dirt road with a high density road? They're the same size). Lack of subways, lack of farms, lack of map size, lack of customization all feel like an eventual cash grab. There's going to be so much DLC for this game it should be free to play. Even the day one DLC is $10 just to make a few of your buildings look German and give you one special landmark. Save yourself some money and buy the eventual "game of the year" edition which will include more. By then the servers should be fixed... if they haven't shut them off by then rendering the game unplayable. I'm really disappointed overall. I've played Simcity from the beginning. While I think the game engine is incredibly impressive, the graphics and music are good and there are moments of brilliance when the game works well, the whole thing is brought down by attempts to maximize money gouging at every possible turn. It just seems like a good game ruined by a cynical cash-grab. Feel free to wreck new games EA, but why destroy a beloved game that's been sitting on the shelves untouched for ten years? Expand
  50. Mar 6, 2013
    I loved playing the betas and would probably love to play the game too except having shelled out for the deluxe edition I am still unable to play. Origin says I have played it for 9 hours haha! Three times I was able to get on the game crashed. Three others times I lost contact with the server and all progress on the game. I have had to use three different servers and can now no longer access any of them as they are on busy servers. Now I cannot even connect to available servers. No Origin I have not had 9 hours of playing I have had what feels like days of frustration (and this is after I was only able to downlaod it 6 hours after launch). I am sorry to review like this but it is rubbish and I feel conned. EA, be very ashamed. Expand
  51. Mar 6, 2013
    This Game Doesn't Work! how could you give it a 9? Its us unplayable by sooooo many people! I don't buy the reasons they gave for this! I want a refund.
  52. Mar 6, 2013
    I just learned an $80 lesson, because I bought the Limited Edition, but failed to look at the requirements. Had I reviewed it properly, instead of assumed that the gaming software could be operated in a standalone mode, I would NOT have wasted my money. A vast majority of people in the U.S. still live in rural areas where internet is unavailable, too expensive or just down right crappy. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME unless you have no problems staying on your internet connection the whole time. I wanted this game to have on my system so that I could play with it during travel or without the umbilical cord of the internet. What 'executive' decided on this modus operandi? Obviously some rich fat cat! ID10TS... Expand
  53. Mar 6, 2013
    Pros -Great City Simulator -Graphics are nice -Addictive Gameplay Cons: -Must always be connected to the internet for what is primarily a single player game -Seriously issues at launch that cause people to be unable to play the game -Not always obvious what you are doing wrong when building city The serious launch issues combined with the fact that you always need to be connected to the internet even when you don't want to use any of the online features is a serious issue with this game. We cannot continue to allow developers to force us to be always connected. Expand
  54. Mar 6, 2013
    Im a prepurchaser and was not only let down by the launch, but as a loyal gamer was slapped in the face by this "always online" RDM ball and chain. I will not be supporting this type of RDM game again.
  55. Mar 6, 2013
    Server issues and Constant On-line requirement screw this game up. Started multiple cities to only have them erased. Then later on every 5-10 minutes the game would crash.
  56. Mar 6, 2013
    Honestly simcity is a beautiful game and a great addition to the series been on it last few days, but i cannot over look the always online DRM, poor decision EA,
  57. Mar 6, 2013
    Traditionally Simcity has been a fun game to play in my spare time. I have anticipated looking forward to this game for a while.

However, the current incarnation is -not- enjoyably. The always on DRM which forces you to connect to servers to sit in a queue make this game un-playable at the moment.

There are ways to *play* if you don't mind playing on European or Oceanic servers,
    but any progress you make in the game will not carry over to American servers.

Once in there are annoying quirks and bugs within the game that can destroy your city building strategy, I.E. Recycling Plants being bugged and not picking up Recyclable items NO PROCESSORS for you!

Overall the potential is there for a fun game, but the always on DRM, server queues, constant server downtime, and gameplay bugs make this a terrible game for anyone.

There were other games which were released on 05-March that I would have bought over this in retrospect (I.E. MLB The Show).
  58. Mar 6, 2013
    I don't believe the reasons EA gives for always-online-DRM. PCs can handle definitely the calculations. Cloud save should be optionally on top of local save just like "Steam". This is EA's strategy to sell an online service model and DLC/microtransaction. They should not have sold it at retail price. This type of model is ok for free-to-play; not retail. All the convolutions to make a single player game to appear as an online multiplayer game to justify their model. Expand
  59. Mar 6, 2013
    Always on DRM for a single player game. Unable to login to actually play. Brilliant idea EA, to sell a product that we are unable to use! Worthless way to prevent pirating. If any it will encourage it.
  60. Mar 6, 2013
    The Game itself is not bad at all. A bit glitchy, But overall quite nice. It gets difficult when your city becomes larger, and disasters seem to be rather frequent (once an hour?) However on the whole, it is a very enjoyable game to play. My Main complaint, however, is that I cant play it. Despite many assurances that this launch would go without a hitch, I was able to play for 2 hours on release day before it crashed, and crashed, and crashed, then no longer allowing me to log in. There was a Beta to test load How did they get caught unaware? The preorder and Number of games shipped/printed should have been enough to allow them to predict load. next time, Stagger the launch date by location. Maybe this will help.

For this reason, I give it a zero, as I paid 60 dollars to be frustrated for 2 days, and for that, Ultimately, the entertainment value of this purchase was non existent. I'd rather have wasted the 60 dollars to go see all 4 twilight films in theater.

Ok no, I take that back. But you get the picture.
  61. Mar 6, 2013
    Always online for no reason, can't play at launch because of server queues for a largely single player game. Poor graphics, bugs, pathetically small "city" size. Should have called it SimTowns or SimNeighborhoods.
  62. Mar 6, 2013
    Es un gran juego pero no está acabado, para poder disfrutar de el tienes que estar pagando todo el rato los contenidos descargables, desde el primer día. Además hay que estar constantemente conectado a internet ¿que pasa si quiero jugar en otro lugar donde no tengo internet? He pagado pro el y no puedo disfrutar de el donde quiera, además de tener que instalar Origins aunque no quiera.
  63. Mar 6, 2013
    Just saw another commercial for Sim City......Maybe they should have spent more money on their server budgets instead of their giant marketing blitz...
  64. Mar 6, 2013
    They have taken what could have been have been a gem and turned it into a proper turd! How in the heck are you supposed to play when the beyond trash servers are always busy or full? You can't save it so if you want to keep playing your city your stuck on the same server that never works, oh you want to switch servers that's cool, have fun starting over. You have to wait for the crappy server you were on to access your city. I knew always online DRM would suck but I had NOOOOO idea how bad! Had the game 2 days gotten in only a few hours, many less than I have spent trying to log on to a junk server to play a nice SINGLE Player game. I would rather actually PLAY the game than to be able to theoretically play with other people, which is impossible due to NEVER BEING ABLE TO LOG ON AND STAY ON. Do not buy, just wait until they get this trash sorted proper! Expand
  65. Mar 6, 2013
    I bet this game would be great if I could actually play it. Pathetic job by EA to force a singleplayer game into this horrible DRM system. O yeah, the cities are too small!
  66. Mar 6, 2013
    Assuming a persistent online connection is a guarantee of failure for this game that has been played solo for years, even decades. The forced multi-player design means you can't succeed if you try to play alone anyway. I was able to play for a few minutes before the game crashed due to server issues. Servers listed as "available" aren't and if you try to play on a different server from your last game, you will have to start over with your mayoral duties nothing syncs between servers. Save yourself the and don't make the mistake that I did thinking that Simcity 2013 would be even remotely as awesome as SimCity 2000. Apparently some things DON'T get better with age. Expand
  67. Mar 8, 2013
    Interesting to note that if you consider only critic reviews that apply to when the game actually started play (3/5, onward), their critic review score would be 69.
  68. Mar 6, 2013
    Ok so we all know the game is unplayable at the moment. We paid $80 dollars for something we can't play. And there's only one way EA can get away with this. When the PSN was down for some months a few years ago, they came with the "welcome back" gift. An apology from the interruption of a FREE service. Now, EA has taken 80 DOLLARS from us and is not offering ANYTHING back. We should give them 2 weeks to sort out the problems and if they don't, we should flood them with demands to allow us to choose 2 or 3 games from their catalogue in Origin Store, FOR FREE. They won't refund us on SimCity, but at least they can take the high road just as Sony did. Expand
  69. Mar 6, 2013
    Take the Critic Reviews with a HUGE grain of salt. These "professional" reviewers are very biased and want to stay on EA's good side. There have been too many documented cases of publishers influencing reviewers and we see it at play yet again.

The launch has been a disaster. My internet connection has been steady, but the servers are constantly going down. Lost multiple cities that the
    game just doesn't save. The stability is absolutely horrible. This game drastically requires an offline mode. So far server stability for a single player game has been the biggest problem.

The game itself has some major issues also. The RCI isn't accurate at all. Many of the stats are inaccurate. The traffic design is illogical, firetrucks won't pass each other to get to a fire?! The city areas are not just small, they are tiny. The idea that it was system requirements keeping the size small is a lie. They are most likely going to try to sell larger city areas in the future as DLC.

Overall, I cannot recommend any one buying this game. It is a rip off right now because you can't even play the game, and if by chance you get on, the stability is horrible.
  70. Mar 6, 2013
    Ive seen some bad launches before but this launch takes the cake. The DRM is woeful not matter how much spin they put on it. Simcity is not a multiplayer game no matter what they say. "Always online" will ruin Maxis. The game is basic and looks pretty, when it works. Thats about it. Geez even the tutorial dosen`t work.
  71. Mar 6, 2013
    Made it thru the tutorial on sim city after my second try. Then the servers decided they did not want to work, AGAIN. It's 2 am and it's now day 3 of this game being out. Totally unacceptable. EA has lost a customer permanently.
  72. Mar 7, 2013
    I give this game a Zero I stupidly Pre ordered and paid in Advance 24 hours after release I have not been able to log onto to play what used to be a great Single Player Game

EA Destroying Sim City RIP a worst release than diablo III Congratulations.
  73. Mar 7, 2013
    I bought this game and haven't been able to play it at all because no server can handle the load. It's not even possible to play a single player game or go through the tutorial, which shouldn't need an internet connection, because the game has been downloaded and installed to my computer. A very bad decision to require connection to the EA servers all the time when they can't guarantee that the servers are up. Expand
  74. Mar 7, 2013
    Paid $99 for a deluxe edition of what is essentially an unplayable game. Toggling between different servers doesn't help. I either, a) could not connect or b) could not "claim" a city. Nice job EA, for treating your customers like criminals over the DRM stuff.
  75. Mar 7, 2013
    this is the first game i have paid for instead of pirating for years. i was already nervous after reading about the small city sizes but critic and friend reviews said it was still fun so i decided to buy it.

it has currently been downloading for over 7 hours and is on track to take over 27 total hours to finish. i have a 50mbps connection and it is going slower than my old 56k modem.
    absolutely ridiculous. i would love to rate it, but it has been over 7 hours since i have paid for it and i still haven't even been able to TRY to play. Expand
  76. Mar 7, 2013
  77. Mar 7, 2013
    Why zero for a rating you might wonder? Well, you cannot possibly rate a game any higher when it does not even allow you access to play. I would seek a refund but at the moment, it won't even allow me to log into Origin to set that into motion.

Lesson learnt, EA. Will henceforth avoid games that require an always on DRM component.
  78. Mar 7, 2013
    This game gets a 0 cause you can't even play it. I can log in time after time and the server is always down or when it's up I can't create a game. When trying to switch servers the game crashes. Had this game since 3/5 and have been able to play for 5 minutes. I will not be buying another PC game from EA. This completely ridiculous! I want my money back cause I have paid for a product I cannot use. Expand
  79. Mar 7, 2013
    I bought this game. I would like to play it please. Is that too much to ask? I don't mind DRM when it doesn't break the game but this is taking it way too far.
  80. Mar 7, 2013
    Online only DRM is absolute garbage. I will never, ever pay for a single-player game that requires me to be online again. Why should I have to be connected to EA to play MY game. Bad form EA.
  81. Mar 14, 2013
    This game is broken in ways we have only begun to comprehend

To say that EA has not been forthcoming about the limitations of the game would be a gross understatement. I've owned the game for over a week now, but due to the fact that you have to be able to connect to the EA servers to play even a single player game, I have been unable to play the game for at least half the time I have
    possessed it. Even on the days that it has been working, I'm often unable to start new cities or save the existing one because I will get disconnected while playing the game. It's also not uncommon to have to sit in a queue for up to two hours to connect to one of the servers. As your cities are not shared between servers, you're stuck if you want to continue a particular city.

As there is no ability to manually save your city, you are completely at the mercy of the network connection to EA in order to save your game, and you can't control when it saves. It's not uncommon for a city to simply be annihilated by disasters with no real ability to recover.

You also cannot terraform land as you could in Simcity 4, Simcity 3000, and even Simcity 2000. This means that your stuck with whatever land mass that they give you to work with, and not even a map generator, only premade regions.

The map size is limited to 2km x 2km which is quite small, likely smaller than Simcity 4's medium size, which is far too small for the scope of this game. The AI is broken such that you cannot get the city much over 200,000 people without the entire city falling apart due to the poor traffic AI that apparently uses Shortest Path First routing which causes total gridlock. The AI's ability to poorly coordinate your emergency services cannot be understated, it's nearly impossible to put out more than one fire at a time for example. It's not even worth building more than one fire department.

In short, EA appears to have stolen $65 from me, and many thousands of other individuals who are equally displeased with the situation. They have broken one of the most successful game franchises, typically the best examples of the simulation genre, and show no remorse, and no sign that they really have any intention of fixing it.
  82. Mar 7, 2013
    Nothing to say that everyone else didn't say. WASTE OF MONEY! $80 for nothing. DON'T buy this. Even when I do get an occasional hour to play, the space is so unbelievably small that's all it takes to fill it.
  83. Mar 7, 2013
    Do not buy this game. One most popular games became a total with merciless online DRM. You can't do anything without server connection but YOU CAN"T HOP ON the server within hours.
  84. Mar 7, 2013
    The rating of a game is tied to the actual playability and enjoyability of the game, not the theoretical potential of the game. Sim City LE is unplayable, constant server issues and multi-hour wait queues to connect. I'm rating this game a 0 because if I cannot play it, it has 0 value to me as entertainment.

To those who say "separate the game from the server issues and rate the game"
    I say to you "I rate a movie on how much we enjoy it when we watch it. I rate a book on how it reads when I read it. I rate games on how much we enjoy it when we play it. When i sit down and click to play Sim City, I have an hour of frustration and anger and then give up and wish I'd never given EA my money again. So the rating is fair based on the experience of owning and trying to play the game, Expand
  85. Mar 11, 2013
    Have revised my score upwards slightly, as EA has now actually allowed me to play the game rather than the loading screen for the first time. It was a lot of fun. A lot. This would be a fantastic single-player game. But then I lost connection, and couldn't log back on. That was not fun. Then EA allowed me to play again several hours later, and I found I had lost hours of progress. That was even less fun. Why is there no "Save" option? Never before have I played a game with that gave me such enjoyment before letting me down so badly. If it was an MMO it wouldn't feel so bad. But it's a single player game, and it doesn't NEED to be server-dependent. It really feels like EA is playing some cruel game here with one of my favorite game series of all times. They set it up this way deliberately, knowing that this would happen. Expand
  86. Mar 8, 2013
    Incredibly sad release. I was permitted to download my $60 purchase 3 hours after release. Then, I was not able to play my game for about 2 days because of "server issues." Keep in mind, this is SimCity, a single player game. If you have any Internet issues whatsoever, you will lose all your progress. The game must always be hooked up to EA. Worst. Idea. Ever. If you do have 99.8%+ Internet connection quality, you will still lose everything because the EA servers will become "overloaded" and shut down. That's where you are forced to save everything. You might be lucky to connect to a different server, but you must REDO EVERYTHING because data does not synchronize between servers. That includes the tutorial. Like starting a brand new game. God awful launch and DRM and design. Epic fail for EA and Maxis. I heard SimCity had new disasters. Pretty much everything about it. Expand
  87. Mar 9, 2013
    Absolutely devastated the new Sim City, which looked so good, is lumbered with always online DRM. Even if they claim the servers are fixed, I am in a constant state of wondering if it will cut out again. Not an enjoyable experience. Will return to EB and get something else.
  88. Mar 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The farthest I could get was the tutorial loading screen, something smart and funny about "herding llamas", I think. But EA made something even smarter, they herded us and our wallets. Spoiler alert "THIS JUST SUCKS!" Expand
  89. Mar 9, 2013
    HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT I am WAS a fan of the game from the early days on mac. The server failed and lost all my progress! All the work I did was gone and not recoverable. I was forced to play online and then they can't even provide a secure platform.
  90. Mar 9, 2013
    Great game! Due to multiple circumstances, I am unable to acquire a stopwatch in my area. I am very grateful, however, that Sim-City is here to fulfil my timing needs. I do enjoy watching the half-hour server-queue timer tick down, it also supplies me with a great watch. Sometimes I let my friend come over and play a game of 'Will the game successfully connect to a server once the timer has depleted?', we've never won so far.
    A fine work of art I highly recommend this game to anybody who likes to hit themselves over the head with a brick.
  91. Mar 10, 2013
    There is just way to much server issues to even ENJOY this game, and Electronic Arts takes this as a joke, to make a pirated protection that is so strong that normal buying customers can't EVEN play the game makes me think i do not wanna buy a game from Electronic Arts or Maxis ever again,
    Frustration when contacting EA support they do not even listen at all, you get threated by EA
    support instead not funny.
    Overall i don't know since i can't even start the game so my enjoyment is stucked with the protection so i would like too give a big thanks to Maxis and Electronic Arts for making a great game suck THANK YOU
  92. Mar 11, 2013
    Terrible game. You'd be better off playing a free game on Facebook as the depth is comparable. With technology improving you'd expect larger maps and more detail in games. SimCity 2000 is still the best in series but could do with a graphics overhaul and then we'd have a better game than this goldfish bowl. I cancelled an EA subscription game due to the publisher harming consumers and now this just confirms it was the right decision. I regularly travel on long train journeys and always online games harm my free choice as a consumer. I simply cannot afford the mobile connection data and it is not reliable enough even if I could. I can't believe the prices being charged at launch for this title... £65 for a couple of themes? I remember when these additions were added value/quality. BOYCOTT EA! Expand
  93. Mar 11, 2013
    I specifically created a metacritic account to add my voice to the chorus of others here. The game is just flat out broken. When it does work, creativity is so incredibly limited by the small map size that you have no feeling or experience of designing a city the way you want it because you've got to cram everything in so you can place all of the necessary buildings ever growing fire stations, police stations, water treatment plants, hospitals all cool buildings, but space is at such an incredible premium that its irritating not fun. The party line is that you should play with multiple cities in a region but this feature is completely broken and unusable. And even if it were usable, its not fun. At all. This game, and EA's jaw dropping refusal to refund consumers for shelling out $60 for a brick, is a disgrace. I know not everyone will hold to this promise, but I will this is the last EA game I buy. Expand
  94. Mar 11, 2013
    This game starts off looing full of potential but after a few hours its very similar style repetitive game play. Online features look fantastic but I wasn't looking for those features in this game. SimCity for me was always a single player game to be enjoyed once you have a few hours spare in the evening. Its very MMO orientated. Offline play please maxis, hope so very much that the upcoming C&C from EA will be better at launch! Expand
  95. Mar 11, 2013
    The DRM in an effort to make money by stopping piracy killed the game and lost them millions. I will never buy a game with DRM again. The gameplay seems meh but I only could play for a small amount of time since the DRM stops me from playing all together. Don't buy this until they remove the DRM!!!
  96. Mar 11, 2013
    Server issues and always-on DRM aside the city zones are simply too small, presumably to enforce dependency on multi-player interactions. More like Sim-District than City
  97. Mar 12, 2013
    While not a "complete" waste of time, the latest version of SimCity is definitely not worth whatever Electronic Arts is asking for it. The "always-online" DRM requirement alone is a deal breaker. When you add to that the extremely limited city size and the severe reduction of the open-ended experience that characterised previous versions, I would not recommend the game even if it were free. It looks like Civitas (find it on Kickstarter) is going to represent the future of city simulations. Do not waste your time or money on the 2013 SimCity. Collapse
  98. Mar 12, 2013
    Connection Issues
    -----------------
    No problems getting into the game at all although it does lose connection to the servers fairly regularly. While this doesn't prevent gameplay you are forced to keep the game running because if you quit the game before it reconnects the you will lose your progress since the last save.

Having said that it did take two days before the 'buy' button on
    the website worked without giving a 'server error' Saved Games ----------- I'm not aware of any indication of when it actualy saves the game. But it does often fail to do so meaning you have to redo your work again when you next login. Map Size -------- I agree map sizes are way to small. To the extent it limits creativity and in my experience pushes you to playing each map in the same way. I do wonder if the beta was limited to 1 hour to avoid people realising this. Game speed ------------- Currently the game is limited to a max speed of 24 minutes per game day. This is quite important as it happens. If you play the game like I prefer to, start slow and build my city then you will spend many many hours just waiting for your cash to increase enough for your next purchase. On the other hand you can take the other approach (the one I feel you are forced to take) spam the entire map with residential and commercial with just enough industry and ignore all but the vital services (ie water and power). Then sit back and wait until you have lots of cash, demolish your city and build it how you wanted it in the first place. Either way there is a lot of waiting around doing nothing. Power and Water system ---------------------- I actually like this aspect of the game, I didn't enjoy having to lay all the pipes and powerlines, too much micromanagement for me. The new system of using the roads for everything works very well for me. Apart that is from what I assume are bugs. For example I had my city running along nicely I left the city and when I came back to it suddenly the game decided that I no longer had a massive excess of power but instead a massive deficit I had to plop 20 more windmills just to break even??? Bugs ---- The game still contains a number of bugs, mostly minor but some are not, for example you may get locked out of a map due to 'processing' never to be able to play that map again. This of course could in turn screw up your entire region causing many many hours of gameplay to be simply wasted. Multiplayer ----------- Sure you can let someone play a map in you region but don't be fooled this is a single player game. The global market? This boils down to the price you pay when you buy resources. Is it really influenced by other players? I don't know but it really makes no difference. If you need to buy resources then you pay the price the game tells you. That's it. Disasters --------- I've never been a fan of these. I don't see anyway of turning them off in a normal game. Why such a big deal? At 24 minutes per game day it took me about 1.5 hours to save for my school that's 1.5 hours of me doing nothing but let the game run. As soon as I plopped it down and earthquake hit and destroyed it. So I started the wait all over again. Guess what, another earth quake and destroyed again. I had a further three disasters in that session. I estimate about 7 hours gameplay of which about 6.5 hours was just letting the game run to save up money. Which is why you should just use the spam method to build up lots of cash at the start which makes a mockery of the economy in the first place. Replayability ------------ If I'm honest I was getting bored by the end of my first session but I stuck with it. Overall there is lot of frustration from losing work and even entire maps but the number one problem by far is the tiny map size which limits creativity and gameplay possibilities. I'm going to give the game a little more time but I do feel I've got pretty much all I'm going get from it a far cry from past sim city games which I would play for months if not years. Always Online -------------- I didn't buy Diablo because of this but took a chance here. From what I understand things like map size and game speed and limited to reduce the load on their servers. The irony is that I bought myself an expensive laptop so I could play all the latest games but for this game I could have stuck with with my old crappy one. My experience with this game has convinced me that I won't be buying any more games that require this, at least, not for a single player game. Overall ------- If you are on the fence then wait until the price comes down before you consider trying it it is WAY overpriced at the moment and certainly not as stable as it should be. While it certainly a pretty game it is failing to hold my attention. Expand
  99. Mar 12, 2013
    I'm not even going to bother reviewing this game as EA already have had an ear full of complaints which are all the same things. Why remove transport options, make the map size smaller, add always online DRM? As well as this, so many other bad features have been implemented, and i'm glad the release was a massive pile of steaming bulls*** because EA may now sort things out.
  100. Mar 12, 2013
    Worst simcity game ever. I dont care about DRM but this game feels INCOMPLATE, CLOSED BETA or browser game. I'm so regret my decision to buy this crap.
  101. Mar 12, 2013

Given enough patches and DCLs, SimCity might eventually become the game that should have been on its release and justify the ambiguous choices that its developers made. [May 2013]
  2. May 9, 2013
    Hints at great things but is limited by small cities and promises it can't deliver on. [June 2013, p.80]
  3. May 9, 2013
    There's more problems with this game than I have words. Looks great though. [June 2013, p.80]