2.2

1. Mar 5, 2013
    Downloaded the game last night, haven't been able to even play the tutorial yet... this DRM is absurd. I'm sure the game is great once you can play, but not worth this garbage... don't waste your money
  2. Mar 8, 2013
    Cant buy it because Amazon took it off, dont want to use origin crapware.

Servers havent been fixed since launch thats 4 days of not been able to play the game... Oh i didnt buy it are you serious? I feel sorry and angry for anyone blind or desperate enough to continue buying crapware from ea
  3. Mar 8, 2013
    There was absolutely no reason... NO reason at all to have contact online DRM for this game. EA was warned prior to launch that there would be issues and they ignored them. This is poor, very very poor.
  4. Mar 7, 2013
    don't even bother to buy this game. In 3 years time (or less) EA will shut down the servers and you will never be able to play this game ever again. Why? EA will probably come out with another simcity game and will force gamers to buy the new one instead. Not to mention this game came out with DAY 1 DLC, city sizes are smaller than an actual small town in the middle of no where. nodon't even bother to buy this game. In 3 years time (or less) EA will shut down the servers and you will never be able to play this game ever again. Why? EA will probably come out with another simcity game and will force gamers to buy the new one instead. Not to mention this game came out with DAY 1 DLC, city sizes are smaller than an actual small town in the middle of no where. no subways, no terraforming, forced mutliplayer, no save games to go back to so that means that if you disaster your city there is no way back. everything bad that you can put in simcity is there. Oh and the city sizes are small because the game connects to the servers constantly and cant handle more data from bigger cities. I hope EA dies in a hole somewhere. SHOW EA THAT THIS DRM and balatant rippoffs are not welcome. vote with your wallet. Expand
  5. Mar 6, 2013
    This isn't a 'review bomb', as some hack EA-brown-nosing news sites are claiming. These are legitimate consumer complaints based on their inability to even run the game that they purchased, for absolutely no good reason, for reasons that EA were warned would happen and yet did nothing to prevent it. As it stands I've had to wait unreasonable lengths of time to even play my game. The fewThis isn't a 'review bomb', as some hack EA-brown-nosing news sites are claiming. These are legitimate consumer complaints based on their inability to even run the game that they purchased, for absolutely no good reason, for reasons that EA were warned would happen and yet did nothing to prevent it. As it stands I've had to wait unreasonable lengths of time to even play my game. The few times I could play it, I have been disconnected at random resulting in save corruption, rollbacks or general loss of data. This isn't my problem. This is EA's problem. I will be seeking a refund, otherwise I will be looking into a chargeback for being sold a non-functional product. I advise anyone else with these problems to do the same. Expand
  6. Mar 6, 2013
    Can not access game. Always on DRM. If you want to play this game just download it for "free" the first chance you get. Single player games should not require you to be online, it's as simple as that. I bought this game for my wife, she was super excited.. I bought her lunch and took our son out so she could have some fun alone time that she hasn't gotten in months. So of course sheCan not access game. Always on DRM. If you want to play this game just download it for "free" the first chance you get. Single player games should not require you to be online, it's as simple as that. I bought this game for my wife, she was super excited.. I bought her lunch and took our son out so she could have some fun alone time that she hasn't gotten in months. So of course she was upset when she couldn't play it. If Blizzard can't pull off always-online DRM without screw ups, I don't know what makes EA think they can. Expand
  7. Mar 6, 2013
    I have been very excited for this game, in fact this is the first EA game for me in a very long time. Coming from many MMO's I expect server outages, patching, etc. However I do feel that EA/Maxis brought this on themselves with lack luster beta testing. The fact is they only allowed for beta for a total of two days separated by 2 weeks each time and only allowed you the play the gameI have been very excited for this game, in fact this is the first EA game for me in a very long time. Coming from many MMO's I expect server outages, patching, etc. However I do feel that EA/Maxis brought this on themselves with lack luster beta testing. The fact is they only allowed for beta for a total of two days separated by 2 weeks each time and only allowed you the play the game for 1 hour and not all the features worked. So what to do you...servers not properly tested. The whole "you need internet to play this game because real cities need outsides" is BS. This game should of had an option to play online or offline. How is it that I create a city (mark it as private) and don't allow anyone to join but me any different then playing offline? Its not. The fact is the game is 100% online because EA/Maxis wants to make it hard to steal the game.

Over the past 48 hours I have clocked in a total of 3 hours of actual play time due to server issues and login problems.
  8. Mar 6, 2013
    A hard copy of the game SC5 arrived at 10:00. Thanks Amazon. I went home and installed it. And updated it... And updated it.. and updated it. East coast servers down. Put me on west coast Europe. I got into a region. It wouldn't let me choose a city. I was booted. I opened Origin again. This time I was asked to do the tutorial. It loaded. I couldn't do anything but move the camera. ItsA hard copy of the game SC5 arrived at 10:00. Thanks Amazon. I went home and installed it. And updated it... And updated it.. and updated it. East coast servers down. Put me on west coast Europe. I got into a region. It wouldn't let me choose a city. I was booted. I opened Origin again. This time I was asked to do the tutorial. It loaded. I couldn't do anything but move the camera. Its been almost 48hrs since launch. Whats the hold up?
    I Hate EA.
  9. Mar 6, 2013
    Even the most beautiful diamond is worthless if you smash it with a hammer. I want to believe in the new SimCity, I swear I do. I've been playing this game since the first iteration back when dinosaurs roamed the Internet. SimCity is what MADE me a gamer. And I'm lucky I played the betas, I downloaded instantly Monday night when I got the Origin email, and I played Tuesday morning beforeEven the most beautiful diamond is worthless if you smash it with a hammer. I want to believe in the new SimCity, I swear I do. I've been playing this game since the first iteration back when dinosaurs roamed the Internet. SimCity is what MADE me a gamer. And I'm lucky I played the betas, I downloaded instantly Monday night when I got the Origin email, and I played Tuesday morning before everyone on the East Coast got off of work....

But....I'm kind of heartbroken. The game is gorgeous. The whole tilt-shift thing for the graphics is genius. Gameplay is the best kind easy to learn, but challenging as the game accelerates. The UI is well laid out (for a game that is about information overload, after all) and the data layers are cool. But in addition to all of the issues with DRM, the botched launch, and ongoing server issues (it's only Day Two, but c'mon. I work in this field and I know EA/Origin could have planned better) the fact is that the game feels.....lacking.

What do I mean? Well, there's that lovely data interface, and not a lot of actual depth to the data. You can't edit a Plopable (ugh.) once you've already added things to it. There's no real sense for what supply and demand is like in the global market. The maps are small, and the whole forced boundary thing is maddening. All my cities end up looking un-naturally square. There is no terrain editing (one of the longtime favorite sub-categories of the older versions.)

And most annoying to me there is no ability to save your game mid-play, and then "alternate reality" it which is something I've done in EVERY SimCity, ever. SimCity is the game that taught me to save before key decision points....and now, nothing. Not even an option.

I want to love this game....but it has a long way to go before it lives up to its promise, and that makes me, and the new gaming computer I built specifically for it.....very, very sad.
  10. Mar 6, 2013
    I remember the days of failure in WOW, it seems like nirvana compared to the complete lack of direction by Origin
    This is a city simulation, let us do that offline!
    I have had 4 cities wiped by them
    2013 and we still cant have persistent server access
    oh wait we can, GW2
    I think i may want my monies back I am also a little pissed i cant have subways
  11. Mar 6, 2013
    At the time of the Australian release this game is unplayable. If the dedicated Oceanic server isn't full, it's down and crashed. Connecting to an international server does not help either as they will frequently drop out and your city would have been erased. Not even the graphics look like they're from this decade.
    1/10 the loading screen has a nice back drop.
  12. Mar 6, 2013
    Don't be fooled by this game. This is Diablo 3 all over again. Tiny map, not allowed to make big cities. Worst $60 bucks ever wasted. Do some research, watch the game being streamed, even people who love it are about how restrictive the map size is. The game forces multiplayer on you. This game is not like any other sim city ever made.
  13. Mar 6, 2013
    I play games when i have time to play them, not when the game is able to be played. I would encourage everyone to demand money back, lets stop this always-on nonsense.
  14. Mar 6, 2013
    Installed game, updated drivers, waited 3 hours before i was able to play for 15min before the crash and had to change servers to play for another 20min, repeat most of night. I'm sure they will streamline the server issues, however it's no longer a fun and relaxing game. I want a refund and will be sending emails to the board of directors of EA. They need new executives in that company.
  15. Mar 6, 2013
    i cannot believe the always on DRM. it is absolutely ridiculous, and there is no reason for it. i hate drm, hence my handle. and also its stupid. but we still all gave EA money. i dont know how to solve this problem
  16. Mar 6, 2013
    The game itself is awesome...if you can even play it. The server load time, however, is unacceptable. Most of the time, it gets stuck on the "Checking for Updates" screen with a status of 0%. I've also encountered numerous times where it gets stuck in a server queue for 30 minutes at a time. When I buy a game, I want to play it...not make it an all day event just waiting for the stupidThe game itself is awesome...if you can even play it. The server load time, however, is unacceptable. Most of the time, it gets stuck on the "Checking for Updates" screen with a status of 0%. I've also encountered numerous times where it gets stuck in a server queue for 30 minutes at a time. When I buy a game, I want to play it...not make it an all day event just waiting for the stupid game to load. Expand
  17. Mar 6, 2013
    always on DRM, 2 days and ive got to the tutorial screen... not acceptable, online DRM doesn't work, so it gets a 0 since it simply doesnt work..funny my credit card payment did right away even
  18. Mar 6, 2013
    Pre-ordered this game in december. Bought the Digital Deluxe Edition.

One of the following keeps happening: -Can't connect to server -Can't connect to authenticate to server -Server times out -Server is busy, getting in a wait queue between 18 minutes and 3 hours -Game starts but getting stuck in the Tutorial with no way out (done it 3 times already) -Game starts but unable to
    Pre-ordered this game in december. Bought the Digital Deluxe Edition.

One of the following keeps happening:
    -Can't connect to server
    -Can't connect to authenticate to server
    -Server times out
    -Server is busy, getting in a wait queue between 18 minutes and 3 hours
    -Game starts but unable to claim any city
    -Game starts but nothing works as nothing shows up in the menus, so impossible to create road and starting a city.

Rince and repeat.

Feels like it was rushed out, half done.

I hope heads will roll at EA. But I'm sure nothing of the sort will happen, as they seems to have stop caring about customers a few years ago.

Avoid.
  19. Mar 6, 2013
    Seeing the beta videos on youtube I was excited to okay the game. Unfortunately after installing the game today and reading the other terrible reviews I regret buying this game, servers are down and I am yet to be able to even play it.
  20. Mar 6, 2013
    I think the most important thing to take away from these reviews, Critic and Consumer alike, is that Sim City is a solid game at the heart of things. Server troubles aside, Sim City certainly builds on it's predecessors with a chain of resources mechanic and the need to constantly manage these resources in an effort to balance tax revenue with revenue from business ventures, shippingI think the most important thing to take away from these reviews, Critic and Consumer alike, is that Sim City is a solid game at the heart of things. Server troubles aside, Sim City certainly builds on it's predecessors with a chain of resources mechanic and the need to constantly manage these resources in an effort to balance tax revenue with revenue from business ventures, shipping ventures, gambling, and tourism. While these 'specializations' are limited they are certainly welcome to the series, almost fitting in as if they had been there all along. There's a familiar comfort in the interface, and ease of use for the new player (Water and electricity management run along roads rather than independent pipes and wires). While the omission of some micromanagement is a casualty among old players, the game more than makes up for it in it's continued focus on efficient resource management and space allocation.

That being said, a number of bedbugs spoil the honeymoon; what should've been a grand return to the forefront of simulation and management has instead become a slog through DRM sludge, connection issues, and just straight resistance from every force in the world, Heavenly or otherwise, to mayors playing the game. There was a day-one patch, a day-two patch, a bug where clients would be stuck downloading nonexistent updates, 'ghost servers' (Where you could connect to a server just to be kicked off for a 'network issue', a 'connection issue', or because the server was never up in the first place). I, personally, have been unable to play the game from two different residences with stable internet connections for more than ten minutes each on day two. Apparently I have logged in six hours, but I highly dispute that number (Or Origin counts the amount of time I spend cursing at Sim City as playtime). I hope for nothing more than resolution; I would prefer to have a working Sim City game on my computer than 60+ dollars of Origin credit.

Server issues aside, gameplay does suffer some setbacks. As mentioned earlier, power and water hookups are stunted, pared down to where the roads run. City size is stunted as well, with plans in the works to offer increased sizes later down the line with new regions. Because of the smaller size, it is very difficult to build and manage a city yourself, even a region under your control is difficult to manage (Given that cities pause when you leave them; freight and raw materials don't move unless you're working the city that ships them out). I'd hate to add speculation to this review, but I wouldn't put it beside EA to offer regions with increased city size as premium content, given the fact that they released what I would consider a near-finished game in beta. Coupled with so-heinous-it-ought-to-be-a-crime-against-humanity wait for Origin support, as well as Origin's resistance to doling out refunds to unsatisfied customers, Sim City might be the biggest disappointment to me since Stone Temple Pilots most recent self-titled release.

It's as if I have been sold a Jackson Pollack painting with a clause that the seller may throw a sheet over the painting at any time they so choose. I would give the game an 8/10, but I am the professor and this is a very late assignment.

And I hate late assignments.
  21. Mar 6, 2013
    Played it for a while last night, a real step down from Simcity 4. Hated the tiny maps, I want to build huge metropolis with millions of people, instead I get to build small little towns.
    But the worst thing is losing connection to the server and losing an hours worth of progress for some reason.
  22. Mar 6, 2013
    EA strikes again with its dumb buisness strategies. Forced Online DRM, Day one DLC, and preorder items (That cost 20 dollars more) making a large change in the game? Yeah, they did it all. I don't blame maxis for this, I'm sure EA took the wipe and threatened them, so instead of raging at the creators, I'll rage at the publishers. Warning, If you are here looking for a review of the game,EA strikes again with its dumb buisness strategies. Forced Online DRM, Day one DLC, and preorder items (That cost 20 dollars more) making a large change in the game? Yeah, they did it all. I don't blame maxis for this, I'm sure EA took the wipe and threatened them, so instead of raging at the creators, I'll rage at the publishers. Warning, If you are here looking for a review of the game, don't look beyond this point, it'll mostly be the glaring flaws of the game.

Online DRM One word: Stupid. Who thought this was a good idea? It literally does nothing good for the game, considering pirates have always found a way around DRM. Preorder Items: I'm fine with changed in apperance (Hats for example) and things similiar but for 20 extra dollars, you get a few items that change the game COMPLETELY. Day one DLC: I don't even need to say anything, if its done the first day, it should be in the game. Its that simple.
    Now, I've never pirated anything in my life, but the actions EA takes make me want to pirate every single game they publish so once again, good job EA.
  23. Mar 6, 2013
    EA's servers are the biggest issue. Selecting a server, syncing with it and actually playing a game is seemingly impossible. If you are lucky enough to even get that far, look forward to playing for 15-30 minutes before the server is disrupted, in which case you will likely be disconnected. After being disconnected you may or may not lose your progress, and may or may not be able to logEA's servers are the biggest issue. Selecting a server, syncing with it and actually playing a game is seemingly impossible. If you are lucky enough to even get that far, look forward to playing for 15-30 minutes before the server is disrupted, in which case you will likely be disconnected. After being disconnected you may or may not lose your progress, and may or may not be able to log back in for hours at a time. Do not waste your time or money. Expand
  24. Mar 6, 2013
    I've played SIM City 4 for years, total addict. I eagerly picked up the pre-release for this version from Amazon. I let the update run overnight (and it was still running this morning), and now I can't even find an open server. In all fairness, I was able to actually get into the game for almost 10 minutes before the game closed without warning. I have no idea whether my stuff was savedI've played SIM City 4 for years, total addict. I eagerly picked up the pre-release for this version from Amazon. I let the update run overnight (and it was still running this morning), and now I can't even find an open server. In all fairness, I was able to actually get into the game for almost 10 minutes before the game closed without warning. I have no idea whether my stuff was saved because, 3 hours later, I still can't get back in. I just want to build cities. I guess I'll go back to my old version for a while until this gets Expand
  25. Mar 6, 2013
    This DRM feature is Orwellian! It is a game breaking feature, since I can be playing for 4 hours and all of the sudden server logs me out and there is no save... Also, If my internet is down, I can't play a game which was payed for. Who though punishing the paying customer would put a stop on piracy? Genius!
  26. Apr 2, 2013
    I decided to come back to update my previous review score of 3, to make it more in line with my feelings on the game. My new score is an unfortunate 0, as that is what the game is worth. While the game offers a glimmer of the greatness that SimCity used to be; crippling bugs make the game all but unplayable. Most of the advertised features are still stripped from the game, with emptyI decided to come back to update my previous review score of 3, to make it more in line with my feelings on the game. My new score is an unfortunate 0, as that is what the game is worth. While the game offers a glimmer of the greatness that SimCity used to be; crippling bugs make the game all but unplayable. Most of the advertised features are still stripped from the game, with empty promises that things will be better "Soon" (TM). For the diehard fans who pre-ordered, many are stuck with a single region filter on; almost a month after the game was released. Traffic issues can only be solved by finding ways to exploit bugs in the way pathfinding works. Water does not replenish, unless you give your citizens sewage water to drink. Don't bother with commercial or industrial; just residential, and your city will flourish with no work on your part. Perhaps if the game is ever fixed, I will update my review; but a month in with still not fix in sight, I cannot endorse this game to anyone. Expand
  27. Mar 6, 2013
    Game is great but EA ruins it once again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  28. Mar 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Another horrible EA launch (shoccccccccccking!). I've being trying to play for the last 2 days and have been able to connect twice games failed to save both times! Once in, I come to the sad realization that the game is riddled with bugs. I work in the industry and I've seen less bugs in alpha releases. I feel as if I just bought a Gremlin for the price of a Ferrari that's missing it's tires and engine and there's no return policy. For those of you looking forward to the next EA PC game launch Spoiler Alert! There will be server issues. Expand
  29. Mar 6, 2013
    Here is a game that might actually be fin if I could log in to play it. Terrible implementation of DRM. Always online really goes against what Simcity always was to me a game you play on a long trip. In the middle of the night when you should be studying or sleeping. Why force people to play online, if you want to have DRM then have it save login occasionally not all the time atHere is a game that might actually be fin if I could log in to play it. Terrible implementation of DRM. Always online really goes against what Simcity always was to me a game you play on a long trip. In the middle of the night when you should be studying or sleeping. Why force people to play online, if you want to have DRM then have it save login occasionally not all the time at least, I want to keep playing when your servers don't work or when you decide to get rid of them. Expand
  30. Mar 6, 2013
    When I pre-ordered I thought the game only required an authentication through the Internet to play. Nope, it appears you must use their servers and the game is not available to play if the servers are unavailable or have issues. Such is the case currently. This is primarily a single player game and forcing people to rely on server resources this way is absurd. Positives
    Nice graphics
    Nice graphics compared to prior editions
    Many customizable buildings
    New multi-player elements
    Curved roads

Negative
    Small cities
    Even the highest density roads seem to be far too limited for anything above medium density
    Ground water is required and does not renew in any meaningful way. (City dries up and dies)
    Fires all the dang time
    World trade market does not appear to function properly. I was selling metals and alloy constantly for hours and then it would hit in very brief spurts and then nothing at all. My city should have been renamed to Detroit. I was losing money and people were leaving by the busload when the market dried up to practically nothing selling.
    Some buildings take up far too much space for the effect they have
    Being forced to have Internet access to play
    Not being able to play the game offline even after authenticating
  31. Mar 6, 2013
    It's launching day for Europe. I've been able to play for 40 minutes. I loved what I've seen so far not much, but the game "felt" great, smooth, beautifull and I was already developing some emotional ties to my little town. After 40 minutes, I decided to quit and restart the game because I was suspicious. I was fearing that the game wouldn't save my city. I wanted to find out. WhileIt's launching day for Europe. I've been able to play for 40 minutes. I loved what I've seen so far not much, but the game "felt" great, smooth, beautifull and I was already developing some emotional ties to my little town. After 40 minutes, I decided to quit and restart the game because I was suspicious. I was fearing that the game wouldn't save my city. I wanted to find out. While quitting Simcity, a message popped up, saying something about synchronization issues (I couldn't read it because the game was already quitting). So I strongly believe that my city has not been saved. I then tried to reenter the game, which now tells me that I have to wait in queque for 3 hours and 20 minutes. It's a real shame for whoever is responsible for that, and I'm honestly glad that many customers demand a refund to show their protest. I myself, however, strongly assume that the issues will be fixed in a few days. And as I like what I've seen of the real game so far was nice, I don't belong to the courageous ones who demand a refund. The US release seems to have been a horrible debacle. I can't quite understand how there can be such a huge miscalculation. I mean there have been betas and stresstests. And even then, there must be the option to put up some more servers until the release-peak abades? It indeed reminds a bit of a restaurant that has a tiny kitchen but 100 tables, resulting in waiting times of hours and days. That's ridiculous and absolutely inexcusable. And it's not about whining and fanboyism. I have no problem with waiting a few more days until someone finds out that one cook might not suffice to service 100 tables. But it's about principles. Not to INSTANTLY solve such huge and perfectly foreseeable issues, with angry customers flooding the boards, should be an absolute no-go and deserves to be sanctioned in every conceivable and legal way. And then they even have the insolance to predict a flawless launch for Europe with two servers. Really. I'm also glad that negative reviews are being posted, although it's of course not fair to the game itself (which is reviewed in the "professional" reviews). And unfortunately, boycotting is not an easy task for a gamer because I think that there is still a lack of competition. How many recent and decent city building games are out there? Within its niche (and indeed I'd call game genres niches), simcity has the monopoly. And this apparently makes those who are responsible for the launch-debacles act like monopolists. Therefore I'm thankfull for everyone who demands a refund. I'm not consequent enough for this myself and bend to the sweet lures and the carrot-and-stick tactics that EA seems to expect fans to put up with. I really feel sorry for people who got excited about what seems to be a great game and who were looking forward to it and supported it to be let down like this. It's really such an unneccessary dark shadow over this game. All the rage of negative user reviews shows how much they've been looking forward to this game and how much they've been disappointed by such a horrible launch. So I strongly suggest not to buy the game yet, as it is unplayable. All you will get to see is a waiting queue (that lies anyway once time runs out, you'll be informed that there are server issues), or the information that you can't claim this city now because of server problems. If anyone thinks that server issues and the game itself deserve seperate ratings: no, because you can only play this game online. Expand
  32. Mar 6, 2013
    I bought the deluxe d/l of SimCity 5 (2013) on Origin ($80!) and it was unplayable. Servers were overloaded and I was never able to log on. There also is no option to play offline and save the game locally on your computer, a fact I had been unaware of until I tried to play the game. At this point, anyone lucky enough to get on a server and play would have to have a Midas touch of luck toI bought the deluxe d/l of SimCity 5 (2013) on Origin ($80!) and it was unplayable. Servers were overloaded and I was never able to log on. There also is no option to play offline and save the game locally on your computer, a fact I had been unaware of until I tried to play the game. At this point, anyone lucky enough to get on a server and play would have to have a Midas touch of luck to get back on to that same server to retrieve and play their saved game later. After more than two hours on hold with customer service (in queue with other dissatisfied customers), a refund was issued and I unhappily uninstalled the game. I have been a fan since the first iteration of SimCity, and would consider a repurchase IF, and only IF, EA provides an offline, single player option. Expand
  33. Mar 6, 2013
    I want to play the game. That is the problem, with major server issues this game is unplayable. When I did get a chance to play I had a blast. I cannot in good faith give this game a good review based just on the game play, it must be given as much of a review on the whole product that has been delivered and that includes the persistent online features.
  34. Mar 6, 2013
    If you haven't bought this game, don't bother. Your ability to enjoy what is admittedly a pretty good game will be completely frustrated by EA's inability to properly launch the game and their decision to require an online connection to their crap servers. Oh, and it's like WOW servers too so if your main server has a 2 hour queue you can't play any regions you have on that server untilIf you haven't bought this game, don't bother. Your ability to enjoy what is admittedly a pretty good game will be completely frustrated by EA's inability to properly launch the game and their decision to require an online connection to their crap servers. Oh, and it's like WOW servers too so if your main server has a 2 hour queue you can't play any regions you have on that server until they let you on. They deserve every bad user review they're getting. I'm sorry but I hate supporting a company that makes decisions based on (supposedly) keeping small amount of revenue they may have lost due to pirating over keeping their loyal fan base happy (don't forget that they've actually totally abandoned fans who have limited internet access).

Don't buy this game.
  35. Mar 6, 2013
    The DMR hobbles this game. You often can't log into servers, the game doesn't save cities, it crashes often, and the city size is extremely limited. After try to play for two hours, I gave up on this unplayable game. Also lacking is that you can't terraform, can't lay subways, you no longer lay water pipes, and many other city features are simply gone.
  36. Mar 6, 2013
    Where to begin. I agree that the game is pleasing to the eye. I also agree, that although dumbed down, I do like the streamlining of some features of the game. I do, however, dislike the lack of content that should hve been available from the start for any post Sim City 4 version (ie. subways). EA has once again proclaimed itself king of the incompetents with it's horrible onlineWhere to begin. I agree that the game is pleasing to the eye. I also agree, that although dumbed down, I do like the streamlining of some features of the game. I do, however, dislike the lack of content that should hve been available from the start for any post Sim City 4 version (ie. subways). EA has once again proclaimed itself king of the incompetents with it's horrible online capabilities, or should I say incapabilities. Alas, it is we that are foolish to constantly purchase their games, and think, "They could not possibly F this up this time", and then scratch our heads in wonder when we are duped with the same juke that they have used time and time again. Meanhile they laugh all the way to the bank, and wait with their finger over the button to shut the game servers down when they have supported it for as long as they feel is beneficial to only themselves. Someone posted earlier that we are all idiots to believe that this game would not be online all the time. Perhaps they were born yesterday, but as a 40 year old that has played Sim everything they have ever created, and was there for the invention of SIm anything has come to expect to play this game in an offline capacity, because that was what came before. I can only imagine the poster is a huge EA fanboi anyway, and merely posts to help inflate this doomed balloon. Expand
  37. Mar 6, 2013
    New game play is great, new features are great. If there was an offline mode and ability to save games on my computer I would give this game a 9. Unfortunately this is not the case. I understand the appeal of multiplayer online games and I appreciate the integration of that in this game, however it doesn't work, serves cannot connect, I don't have multiple saves on my computer, my citiesNew game play is great, new features are great. If there was an offline mode and ability to save games on my computer I would give this game a 9. Unfortunately this is not the case. I understand the appeal of multiplayer online games and I appreciate the integration of that in this game, however it doesn't work, serves cannot connect, I don't have multiple saves on my computer, my cities dissappear on relaunch or are not as complete as they were when I last played and they are specific to a particular server, so if you don't remember which server you were on you'll never find your saved games. Not everyone wants to play multiplayer, either fix the servers or give us an offline mode. Also, what happens when the rest of the world gets their release? If its already this bad will we be able to play at all when the users practically double? I played the beta 2 and everything worked fine, still don't like the server save feature. Not worth $80 for a game that is practically unplayable. Expand
  38. Mar 6, 2013
    Takes "Always On" to a whole new level in the time it took to play the opening cinematic, the game has lost connection to the servers. After clicking 'Getting Started' several times and being booted because it was unable to load the map I had nothing left to do except browse the settings menu for fun, then quit.
    The most I've gotten out of the game so far was -almost- into a city. It
    The most I've gotten out of the game so far was -almost- into a city. It showed me the name of the city and a picture of it while loading, then halfway through loading said it had lost connection to the servers. 2 points for the cover art and nice menus, -1 point for less than helpful "network error" error boxes. I haven't found the easter egg yet, apparently some people have found a way to build cities but at the moment that's an unconfirmed rumor. Maybe I need to enter a cheat code for that or something.
  39. Mar 6, 2013
    I registered just for this game, thanks to EA. Great game, but EA screwed it so badly that I will never ever buy another game from this company again!! When I started the game all the US servers were busy so I had to pick a European server. But that server just went wrong and if I want to continue to play I have to switch to another server and start over again. This is absolutelyI registered just for this game, thanks to EA. Great game, but EA screwed it so badly that I will never ever buy another game from this company again!! When I started the game all the US servers were busy so I had to pick a European server. But that server just went wrong and if I want to continue to play I have to switch to another server and start over again. This is absolutely ridiculous! It is even worse than D3. If you have so many unsolved problems, you should not release the game to the market before you fix them!!!!
    Such a disappointment and screw you, EA!
  40. Mar 6, 2013
    It has now been two days and I still cannot play this $60 game. I purchased this from Origin/EA. They now have the nerve to state NO REFUNDS will be given! I am currently in contact with my credit card company disputing the charge, which EA states will have me BANNED from my account! What Nerve, if you haven't bought this game... I would save my money headache. Total FAIL SimCity/Maxis/EA!
  41. Mar 6, 2013
    Horrible. First of all the game was not available for download for hours after launch date for the preoders... Next, you have to wait in line to actually play the game. If you get lucky and are able to get into the game, you have to roll the dice again as to whether or not your city will load. If you do get into the game, you're greeted with a dumbed down version of Sim City, whichHorrible. First of all the game was not available for download for hours after launch date for the preoders... Next, you have to wait in line to actually play the game. If you get lucky and are able to get into the game, you have to roll the dice again as to whether or not your city will load. If you do get into the game, you're greeted with a dumbed down version of Sim City, which really should be called SimBlock, since the area you can build in is so small. Expand
  42. Mar 6, 2013
    Always stuck on Authenticating with servers, even If I do get passed that I get an Alert window to retry or cancel. Hitting cancel makes the launcher close. I only played the game for about 4-5 hours. From what I'm reading on the forums and other websites, players haven't been able to play. DRM killed the game already. EA ate their own words when they said that they wouldn't have a launchAlways stuck on Authenticating with servers, even If I do get passed that I get an Alert window to retry or cancel. Hitting cancel makes the launcher close. I only played the game for about 4-5 hours. From what I'm reading on the forums and other websites, players haven't been able to play. DRM killed the game already. EA ate their own words when they said that they wouldn't have a launch like D3. As we can see that didn't happen here. Good luck to any players that still want to play the game. I'm getting my money back. Sorry that was my rant on not being able to play. Sim City 5 is also dumb down. You have no control on piping(Water, Sewage, or Strom drains) You don't have to put up electrical poles. Everything is base on roads, they lay down everything under the roads (Which I do anyways in sim city 4). The maps are very small very very small. I understand you get to play with other players, but why Do I have to rely on someone else to build something I can't fit in my city. Oh also I forgot you can lay down tracks, or highways. Server side saving, I lost a lot of cities from this... I might be missing stuff here, but you get the picture.

I did love that you can set your city to specialize in mining, oil, trade, tourism, and/or casinos. the road designs are really good as well, straight, cruve, square, and wave roads. The building design for the medium to high wealth sims are cool looking. You can upgrade some of the utility buildings. Addons like more buses, more rooms for clincs
  43. Mar 6, 2013
    Marking it as a zero for the easy fact that this game launched but I have yet to play it. It's not like I haven't tried. Server queues, buggy city creation and an inability to complete the tutorial means I haven't actually started a real game yet.

For that reason I have to give it a 0/10 No Show
  44. Mar 6, 2013
    I really enjoy paying 60.00 for broken games that when they do actually allow you to play them on their serves the game was coded like such crap it crashes every 5 minutes. No other brand new game I play does this..... wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiierd
  45. Mar 6, 2013
    It is absolutely unacceptable for a single player game to be unplayable more than 24 hours after launch. The city sizes (the few hours I actually played) are tiny compared to last titles, filled with bugs, and my City has been totally lost due to the server issues. A disastrous launch and title that, to me, is worse than the Diablo 3 debacle because this is a single player game withIt is absolutely unacceptable for a single player game to be unplayable more than 24 hours after launch. The city sizes (the few hours I actually played) are tiny compared to last titles, filled with bugs, and my City has been totally lost due to the server issues. A disastrous launch and title that, to me, is worse than the Diablo 3 debacle because this is a single player game with multiplayer mechanics forced on the player in an attempt to justify the 'always online' requirement. Shameful. Expand
  46. Mar 6, 2013
    Like everyone else, I have not been able to play this product due to the inadequate servers. My friends and I woke up early Tuesday morning to start the download since pre-loading was not available, only to find that the game servers were completely bugged out and overloaded. This problem continues tonight, and I have given up hope and have been biding my time trying to spread awareness ofLike everyone else, I have not been able to play this product due to the inadequate servers. My friends and I woke up early Tuesday morning to start the download since pre-loading was not available, only to find that the game servers were completely bugged out and overloaded. This problem continues tonight, and I have given up hope and have been biding my time trying to spread awareness of EA and how terrible they are. This isn't the first release they have had these problems with (Bad Company 2), and I'm sure it won't be their last. One thing is certain... I'm done buying titles from EA. Done. Expand
  47. Mar 6, 2013
    I paid $80.00 for the "Limited Edition". Two days later I still haven't been able to play the game due to server errors and other bugs in the program. I did not realize there would not be an option to play offline. Do NOT waste your money on this game!
  48. Mar 6, 2013
    Awful, awful game. I have yet to even open the game because of all the issues going on. It is completely unresponsive, will not connect to any server or give me server options, and I feel like I just flushed $60 of my hard earned money down the toilet due to EA's lack of response on the issue. Several people are recommending you buy an older version of SimCity, and previously I was all forAwful, awful game. I have yet to even open the game because of all the issues going on. It is completely unresponsive, will not connect to any server or give me server options, and I feel like I just flushed $60 of my hard earned money down the toilet due to EA's lack of response on the issue. Several people are recommending you buy an older version of SimCity, and previously I was all for Sims and Simcity, but Ea has burned their bridge with me. I previously purchased Sims, expansion packs, etc and am infuriated by the fact that I can't even play my game. Do NOT by this game!! Expand
  49. Mar 6, 2013
    Will not load, EA reps say all servers are online, yet can not connect to any server. There is no customer support to speak of. EA will not offer any refunds for their defective products.
  50. Mar 6, 2013
    Spent $90 on this against my better judgement. Never again. Can't even play the game. Like buying a luxury car and having it breakdown before leaving the dealership parking lot. Since when is this acceptable?
  51. Mar 6, 2013
    Anyone rating this game above a 5 hasn't played SimCity 4, or has a poor memory. In addition to its multitude of DRM flaws, the new SimCity feels cramped, small, and pokey. Have one look at SimCity 4 and you will understand what I mean. The extra eye candy provided is small compensation. How it was rated so highly in the gaming press is beyond me.
  52. Mar 6, 2013
    I recommend somebody to buy this game. iv been constantly trying for two days to get in the game iv maybe played for half an hour then got disconnected i dont even want to play multiplayer this is BS.
  53. Mar 6, 2013
    Let me begin with good news. I really enjoy this game. It's charming. I love the real-time feedback you get from the game. The building upgrades are a nice feature and the graphics are pretty nice. But here comes the bad news. Obviously the DRM is an absolute disaster. I mean honestly; just scrap this notion that DRM combats piraters because it doesn't. All this does is make gamers pissedLet me begin with good news. I really enjoy this game. It's charming. I love the real-time feedback you get from the game. The building upgrades are a nice feature and the graphics are pretty nice. But here comes the bad news. Obviously the DRM is an absolute disaster. I mean honestly; just scrap this notion that DRM combats piraters because it doesn't. All this does is make gamers pissed off that they have to deal with nonsense that is easily avoidable. I mean Publishers who allow this are only biting the hand that feeds them. I mean I worked a 10 hour shift, tired when I get home and looking forward to playing and imagine hoping on and seeing the servers are down-ON A SINGLE PLAYER GAME!!!!!! lol Expand
  54. Mar 6, 2013
    Shame on EA for this shoddy attempt at online DRM. I plan to avoid anything sold exclusively on Origin again in the future.This is the worst game launch I have seen in ages. I was one of the lucky few to get in last night, however the friend invite/private region system appears to be completely broken. Network errors are received every time i try to invite someone to a region. On top ofShame on EA for this shoddy attempt at online DRM. I plan to avoid anything sold exclusively on Origin again in the future.This is the worst game launch I have seen in ages. I was one of the lucky few to get in last night, however the friend invite/private region system appears to be completely broken. Network errors are received every time i try to invite someone to a region. On top of that, trying to log in today it appears that the city i started yesterday is completely gone. The launcher for the game is incredibly slow and inefficient. You can't change servers while it is doing practically anything. Sometimes the launcher just hangs and crashes. If you join a new server you are forced to replay the tutorial city again what a waste of time! Half the time the tutorial city doesn't even load properly, you either get network errors, or if it does load, it fails to initialize and all the controls are grayed out. Whoever decided this game was ready to ship need to be fired. Do not launch your game if the product or the server support is not ready! It is not worth enraging your fans and wasting everyone's time! Expand
  55. Mar 6, 2013
    Just bought the game and have been unable to play to do the servers being down for the past two days since launch. If EA is going to make a game require an internet connection, it is their responsibility to make sure they can actually provide an uninterrupted service. Game companies need to realize that their service is also part of their product and should be judged as part of the game.Just bought the game and have been unable to play to do the servers being down for the past two days since launch. If EA is going to make a game require an internet connection, it is their responsibility to make sure they can actually provide an uninterrupted service. Game companies need to realize that their service is also part of their product and should be judged as part of the game. Don't see how this game currently has an 82 critic score with the atrocious server issues. Critics need to learn to score all aspects of the product, especially if that aspect is a required connection to their servers that the company is failing to provide. I can't play the game, therefore the game gets a 0. Expand
  56. Mar 6, 2013
    The game is OK when it's playable, but beyond not being available most of the time, it still has issues. Single player isn't really possible unless you create multiple cities in a region. I couldn't bring any of my plans to fruition with just a single city, so I had to make a fake city to supply some services to the main one. I'm also almost out of space at maybe 30k people. Of course, IThe game is OK when it's playable, but beyond not being available most of the time, it still has issues. Single player isn't really possible unless you create multiple cities in a region. I couldn't bring any of my plans to fruition with just a single city, so I had to make a fake city to supply some services to the main one. I'm also almost out of space at maybe 30k people. Of course, I haven't been able to play it much because it hasn't been available much. Many, many, many issues with server availability and bugginess. Expand
  57. Mar 6, 2013
    Fun when you can play... unfortunately you cant. This game will be plagued by always-online bull for the entire time its relevant. Its sad but true. Simcity is a single player game at heart. Stop pushing for online BS because tis has obviously failed you.

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE.
  58. Mar 7, 2013
    I couldn't even start playing since the game came out, this is outrages, paying 80 bucks for your game and then it doesn't start at all, EA should fix this ASAP.
  59. Mar 8, 2013
    Since I have not been able to play the game, for any sustained period of time, due to the terrible launch....I have based my rating on my observations as follows.

A... 0 for, price, launch, service, playability, exclusion of certain portions of the game at launch. B... 6 for, Gaming experience, (Very limited play time) C... 7 for, depth and immersion D... 2 for, Map/Plot size, (I feel

B... 6 for, Gaming experience, (Very limited play time)
    C... 7 for, depth and immersion D... 2 for, Map/Plot size, (I feel that the area of the city should be bigger)
    E... 0 for, Options of single player, having to use Origin

Score 3

I sincerely hope that the developers fix the playability of the title soon. They should have had a smoother launch and should have been prepared having contingency plans in place. Nevertheless...I hope that attend to the problems at hand and communicate well with their clients from this point.

I also hope that we are not bombarded with package upon package of DLC.

Further more.....I am not a fan of Origin....and would like to see titles offered across other platforms. I would have bought this through another medium, even if I had to wait longer or pay a bit more.
  60. Mar 7, 2013
    If you really want to do an always on DRM game, then make it work. Do not waste your customers time and money by trying to add online DRM that _does_not_work_!

Do not buy this game yet. Wait for the DotY* Edition coming in a few months. Maybe we players will get an offline mode by then.

* Disaster of the Year
  61. Mar 8, 2013
    So you pay for a game to play it but you can't get in to the game because the EA server have a lot of problem. Stay away from this game in Release!! you will not get in to the game because server is always overload and the game have a lot of problem! If you buy the game you cannot get the refunds if you can't play the game. EA is a evil money lover company, don't support or buy any of EASo you pay for a game to play it but you can't get in to the game because the EA server have a lot of problem. Stay away from this game in Release!! you will not get in to the game because server is always overload and the game have a lot of problem! If you buy the game you cannot get the refunds if you can't play the game. EA is a evil money lover company, don't support or buy any of EA product. This will be my last game I will ever buy from EA. Expand
  62. Mar 7, 2013
    Score is 3 out of 10. All online ruins this game completely. You're relying solely on the availability and play-ability of servers. If the servers are busy, you wait, if they're down, you don't play, if they're full you don't play.

Especially when it's only 6 servers.
  63. Mar 7, 2013
    Horrible. Hard earned money thrown away on failed, DRM control freak issues. Not even a single player, offline version to play while they try to fix their issues. Played for several hours and lost all progress because of server issues.
  64. Mar 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've been a big fan of Simcity since the first game that came out back in the 90's. I'm sorry to say but I'm super disappointed on this release. When I played the beta I thought they were doing fine and on the release week everything turned into a train rack. You can't connect to servers, I worked like 4 hours on a city and lost it, I did it again and lost it again, and it kept taking me to the tutorial every time I went back in the game. Of course my cities completely dissapear and this just sucks. I don't know how much of Maxis fault this is, but maybe Origin have something to do with it since when Battlefield 3 came out they had tons of errors and bugs too. They should at least have an offline option to play kind of like on BF3 right since this is telling us that servers will be down eventually since they also need maintenance, they can be hack, or maybe some kind of hardware problem. Well I hope this is a lesson learn for companies. The GAME: The graphics are cool, the game looks fun, and they improve in a lot of things. The things I don't like, unlike the past simcity you could built Highways, overamps, Subways, Farms, pipes, power lines and a million other options. Not to mention you could customize your terrain, have an extra large terrain and so on. NOW, all of those options are GONE!!!!! WTF!!!

Anyways, I wish I could give them a good scoring since I pre-order the dam game and I had high expectations and you can find it online already cheaper than the pre-order. THEN END!
  65. Mar 7, 2013
    This game release is clearly shows that a company can sacrifices its customers for profit. I will not buy any game that requires always connected DRM even it is a great game. I prefer more customer oriented companies on kickstarter. I really miss good old days where games are really enjoyable and what matters is gameplay rather than visuals only.
  66. Mar 8, 2013
    City Size too Small, the DRM SUCKS!, I want single player offline, NO MODS, NO HIGHWAYS, I cant believe how ea and maxis ruining this game series, i am seeing coming DLC Store
  67. Mar 7, 2013
    I gave this game a 0 because I literally can not play it. I have great internet, a powerful computer, and all of the time in the world. EA's extremely invasive, clunky, and unnecessary DRM system has failed, and I, along with the millions of other people who have purchased and have been let down by this game, are the ones being punished. I have gotten into a few games early in the morning,I gave this game a 0 because I literally can not play it. I have great internet, a powerful computer, and all of the time in the world. EA's extremely invasive, clunky, and unnecessary DRM system has failed, and I, along with the millions of other people who have purchased and have been let down by this game, are the ones being punished. I have gotten into a few games early in the morning, and they were wonderful. My only issue with the game itself is that city size is quite small, but it provides a challenge and i believe that Maxis will fix it eventually. However, EA needs to realize that this is an inexcusable situation. The fact that this game has a 1.7 right now is generous, as most people have been completely unable to play or have lost the cities that they worked for hours on. EA- Please, stop with your childish, anti-consumer tactics. No one likes you, always-on DRM, microtransactions, and especially Origin. No one does. Some people may feel "meh" towards them, but no one likes them. Its such a shame, because games like SimCity, Dead Space 3, Real Racing 3, and Battlefield 3 are legitimately fun games that are hampered by your pathetic services and even worse customer support. You leave consumers in a terrible situation, wanting to boycott your games but being unable to because if only you were not the publisher, people would be in love with many of them. I know the game will work eventually, and at that point id easily give it an 8 or 9. This is solely to drive the score down to make a point to EA that they must stop. And now Amazon stopped selling the game and youre disabling features? Come on, now. Heres to hoping for a better future. Expand
  68. Mar 7, 2013
    Can i log in yes,yes, looks like it is going to happen -DAM NOPE, BUT I CAN WAIT FOR 30 MIN TO TRY TO LOG IN DAM YOU DRM. Why always online DRM for a single player game.
  69. Mar 7, 2013
    The game is a lot of fun when you're actually playing, but I also feel like they've left a lot out for future DLC. Which EA will inevitably charge an arm and a leg for. I really wish there we're more options to build. The specializations are very limited. The whole package seems condensed. The servers are also terrible. I haven't been able to consistently play since launch. VeryThe game is a lot of fun when you're actually playing, but I also feel like they've left a lot out for future DLC. Which EA will inevitably charge an arm and a leg for. I really wish there we're more options to build. The specializations are very limited. The whole package seems condensed. The servers are also terrible. I haven't been able to consistently play since launch. Very dissatisfied with everything. Expand
  70. Mar 7, 2013
    EA screwed up this release beyond words. Stay away and screw them buy not purchasing this game. Their customer service is terrible and they refuse to refund customers who purchased the electronic copies digitally. The online DRM screws the legal customers in the end. I will not be playing this game (first SimCity I will have not played).
  71. Mar 7, 2013
    Server problems/DRM annoying issues aside, I was really disappointed with the core game. Maps are far too small and gaps on the region map between cities are far too vacant. Looks like a city farm with plots of cities growing. You can't place large highways, as they are part of the region and not the cities. No teraforming aside from changes due to civil construction. No Subways so youServer problems/DRM annoying issues aside, I was really disappointed with the core game. Maps are far too small and gaps on the region map between cities are far too vacant. Looks like a city farm with plots of cities growing. You can't place large highways, as they are part of the region and not the cities. No teraforming aside from changes due to civil construction. No Subways so you cant really have alternate transport in your city b/c the map is filled with roads occupying all the space. You literally fill the entire city limit in like 4 hours of play. Then you have to expand vertically after that. No agriculture industry, so clean industry is impossible until you get your tech up. I went back to Sim City 4 to get my fix, and I actually had fun offline. I did like the curved roads, but you cant put any in a city you want to expand, because the map size forces you to grid for efficiency. Now if you had the entire region to edit without switching views, this game may actually have its new features mean something. This day and age, that should be the scale of a Sim City game. Multiple cities all in the same editable instance. If the online requirement is why this was not done, then that was a bad choice and a significant failure for the SIm City franchise, however much I wish it wasn't so. If things change I'll update my score/edit post, but it'll need more than an offline mode to be sure. Expand
  72. Mar 7, 2013
    Don't buy the game right now. 1 point for the game that maybe is good. 0 point for servers that are constantly too busy. I have not played the game yet but used a lot of time waiting, waiting, waiting...
  73. Mar 7, 2013
    After 4 hours of trying to connect to a server i finally got to play the tutorial only to get 3/4 of the way through it before the server shutting down. Other attempts since then have failed to connect to a server. Online only has ruined this game. From what game i did get to see, graphically was great but not worth wasting hours of time relying on a cloud save or hopeing the servers don'tAfter 4 hours of trying to connect to a server i finally got to play the tutorial only to get 3/4 of the way through it before the server shutting down. Other attempts since then have failed to connect to a server. Online only has ruined this game. From what game i did get to see, graphically was great but not worth wasting hours of time relying on a cloud save or hopeing the servers don't crash/shutdown before a city is even built. This game needs to be available offline to get any decent score from me. Expand
  74. Mar 7, 2013
    Doesn't work... plain and simple. I feel like I was cheated. Why am I stuck waiting in a queue for a single player game? Not having local saves is a major issue and I am not confident that EA will be able to fix these issues anytime soon. They should stop selling the game entirely until this is fixed and offer refunds for those who would like one.
  75. Mar 7, 2013
    cant play the game!
    if you log, sometimes crashes
    if you try to create, the serveres cant handle you request
    even playing the tutorial, if you must change the city, the tutorial stops
  76. Mar 7, 2013
    I spent 90 dollars on a single player game that DOES NOT WORK WHATSOEVER DUE TO SERVER ISSUES. Since the 30 hours that have gone by since I bought it, I havent had a single opportunity to actually play the game.
  77. Mar 7, 2013
    Very small plots compared to the original games and always online DRM makes for one disappointing game. Shame really, I was really looking forward to playing this but all I am looking for now is a refund.
  78. Mar 7, 2013
    I was able to play the game for approximately 14 minutes from a possible 7 hours of attempting to connect. Unfortunately the incompetence of the powers that be mean that I was able to only place one residential zone before connection to the servers was lost. The score of 1 is based on the fact that the game is literally unplayable. I have heard the word 'unplayable' bandied round withI was able to play the game for approximately 14 minutes from a possible 7 hours of attempting to connect. Unfortunately the incompetence of the powers that be mean that I was able to only place one residential zone before connection to the servers was lost. The score of 1 is based on the fact that the game is literally unplayable. I have heard the word 'unplayable' bandied round with many games in the past but I have never seen it to be more of a reality than with SimCity. Horrible game that may possibly have many features but who knows? Expand
  79. Mar 7, 2013
    This game has only one con: YOU CANNOT PLAY IT. The launch is nothing but another Diablo III disaster, and maybe even worse. It has been three days since I purchased the game, Origin said I spent 35 hours playing it, while 34 of which are spent trying to connect to the server. If you have not bought it yet, I suggest don't do so until EA figures out a solution to the server issue.
  80. Mar 7, 2013
    I played for 6 hours and then I crashed the game (I have a PC gaming from 3000 euro). On my return I had lost everything, plus you can only play ONLINE, the servers are always full and people like me who took the deluxe version spending 80 euro, in these hours can not play!
  81. Mar 7, 2013
    Worst game launch in my 20+ years of gaming. I would return the game if possible. Maybe that's why EA bothered to launch an unprepared platform. The game was completely unplayable during the first day (crashed constantly). On the second day, the game was palyable only in fifteen minutes increments, before the servers went down. Now into the third day post-launch, the servers have beenWorst game launch in my 20+ years of gaming. I would return the game if possible. Maybe that's why EA bothered to launch an unprepared platform. The game was completely unplayable during the first day (crashed constantly). On the second day, the game was palyable only in fifteen minutes increments, before the servers went down. Now into the third day post-launch, the servers have been taken down for maintnenance at 5pm eastern standard time, with no expected complete time projected on the EA forums. Real good business there. I think I will vist the BBB website next. Expand
  82. Mar 7, 2013
    I would first like to say that the few minutes of personal play and videos, such as those on youtube, portray a great game. Now for the good stuff... it is a glitched pile of excrement that requires a third party program and servers that do not work. I have suffered threw crapy launches before with WAR and SWTOR (both EA games maybe there is a pattern...) Now there may be a day when thisI would first like to say that the few minutes of personal play and videos, such as those on youtube, portray a great game. Now for the good stuff... it is a glitched pile of excrement that requires a third party program and servers that do not work. I have suffered threw crapy launches before with WAR and SWTOR (both EA games maybe there is a pattern...) Now there may be a day when this game could be a 9 or even a 10 but it is not that game, it is the game that i have on my computer now that does not work. Point, break, period. Any and all arguments on the contrary are farts in the wind. Expand
  83. Mar 7, 2013
    Only EA would make a single-player game that requires online DRM. This game completely deserves a zero because I can't even play it, and I have been trying to play for the past 3 days.
  84. Mar 7, 2013
    Right, so after owning this poor excuse for a game (sorry, EA, how dare i presume to 'own' this game, i am merely allowed to play it occaisionally due to your good graces) for about 24 hours, I have been unable to play it AT ALL. I have not been able to even access the tutorial! I have been able to get into the Getting Started screen, about 3 times after continuously trying for almost allRight, so after owning this poor excuse for a game (sorry, EA, how dare i presume to 'own' this game, i am merely allowed to play it occaisionally due to your good graces) for about 24 hours, I have been unable to play it AT ALL. I have not been able to even access the tutorial! I have been able to get into the Getting Started screen, about 3 times after continuously trying for almost all of those 24 hours, but the tutorial just says unavailable at this time and to try again later. When is later? 2-3 weeks? Or half an hour? Occasionally, after failing to launch the tutorial, it will take me to the start screen, where the Play button and the SimWorld buttons don't work. All I have gotten for my $80 purchase so far is a pretty installer screen, another icon on my Origin account and a holographic box the CD came in. Somehow, I feel ripped off. If I released a product, then shipped an empty box with a note saying "terribly sorry, but we experienced technical issues so you'll get the product in a couple weeks" after promising a certain shipping date, I would not be in business very long. I estimate I have spent roughly $2000 on Maxis products alone through EA from Sim City 2000, 3000, 4 and every The SIms game with all expansions plus microtransactions, but this $80 on Simcity5 will be the last Maxis and EA receive from me. I will no longer purchase University Life, or any other expansions or stuff packs, and the excitement I felt over the announcement of The SIms 4 is now dead. I and the whole gaming community require a profound apology for this debarcle, may I suggest upgrading everyone who has bought this fancy icon a free upgrade to the digital deluxe edition as well, or at the very least some sort of refund. EA should feel very proud of one thing though. I'm sure this will go into the history books as the worse product launch in history. Congratulations. Expand
  85. Mar 7, 2013
    It's absolutely pathetic when one can't play a $60 game, single player, without connecting to their servers and yet all in an effort to protect against piracy, they've completely screwed over their paying customers. This deserves a class action lawsuit.
  86. Mar 7, 2013
    Fun game when you can actually play it. Unfortunately, this is rare because of the badly implemented attempt at online-only DRM masked as multiplayer. When you finally manage to connect to the overloaded servers, there is a good chance that your city will not load, any work done to your city will not be saved, or you will be randomly disconnected and forced to wait in the queue again.
  87. Mar 7, 2013
    I purchased this game on Tuesday and have not been able to log into the game as the servers constantly kick me off when I try to log on. I understand that there is an online requirement to play this game, however it is disingenuous to "sell" a game or even a service and not be able to fulfill your portion of a sale. I didn't purchase a game to play it a week from now, I purchased the gameI purchased this game on Tuesday and have not been able to log into the game as the servers constantly kick me off when I try to log on. I understand that there is an online requirement to play this game, however it is disingenuous to "sell" a game or even a service and not be able to fulfill your portion of a sale. I didn't purchase a game to play it a week from now, I purchased the game to play it now. It almost feels like EA knows that they would have had issues but are unwilling to contribute resources for a smooth launch, instead they are waiting to see what the demand is and adjust accordingly. This in my opinion is why this publisher has failed in my eyes. Third day since purchasing the game, yet zero time playing because of access issues. Expand
  88. Mar 7, 2013
    Completely unable to play this game because high speed internet is not available to my house. I wouldn't normally blame the game except this is completely EA's decision to require the connection and not an actual game play requirement.
  89. Mar 7, 2013
    Do not buy this game for now. The servers are unstable and always crash, the always online will mean you will have to either wait in que for long periods of time or not be able to log in at all but if you do and try to claim a city it might become corrupt later on, losing you those precious hours spent upon building your master piece. EA has done a horrible job with the games stability. ItDo not buy this game for now. The servers are unstable and always crash, the always online will mean you will have to either wait in que for long periods of time or not be able to log in at all but if you do and try to claim a city it might become corrupt later on, losing you those precious hours spent upon building your master piece. EA has done a horrible job with the games stability. It is sad because the gameplay is very smooth, bright and addicting just like the previous Simcity games except with more complexity and better graphics. Maxis is also at fault here and should take as much responsibility as EA. They have agreed to the always online DRM and EA hosting their servers and have yet paralyzingly allowed people to pre-order and deny people their games. Unless you want to do a card dispute of your purchase then I suggest either waiting for an offline patch, either official or not or just sticking to the good old Simcity 4. Expand
  90. Mar 7, 2013
    Why can't I play the f***ing game?
    Why did I spend 40 bucks on a thing that never works?
    Why can't I meet with friend?
    Why did I think that SimCity 2013 is a good game?
    Why EA?

Why? Why???!
  91. Mar 7, 2013
    This is one of the worst game launches I have seen. I would not recommend playing the game at this time. Problems logging into the server, not being able to find a city that you've spent 3 hours building. In my opinion the DRM is not the problem but the launch has been terribly executed. To save time and frustration it would probably be in most peoples' interest not to try playing for aThis is one of the worst game launches I have seen. I would not recommend playing the game at this time. Problems logging into the server, not being able to find a city that you've spent 3 hours building. In my opinion the DRM is not the problem but the launch has been terribly executed. To save time and frustration it would probably be in most peoples' interest not to try playing for a month until the server issues are resolved. Too bad that you can't get your money back for this. Expand
  92. Mar 7, 2013
    Can't play the game that I spent MY MONEY on. Servers are always down... Not to mention several gameplay limitations that previous versions didnt have.
  93. Mar 7, 2013
    Getting ridiculous. I wasn't even planning to buy this game but my friends talked me into it. Single player games has no reason of needing online connections, I actually buy all my games and i'm getting screwed over!
  94. Mar 7, 2013
    This game is literally unplayable, as the servers are completely broken, a result of the always-on DRM in SimCity. This feature was not advertised, as I would have avoided a purchase altogether if it were. After opening the game's launcher it takes approximately five minutes to check for updates and authenticate with servers. After finally being able to launch the game (the few times it isThis game is literally unplayable, as the servers are completely broken, a result of the always-on DRM in SimCity. This feature was not advertised, as I would have avoided a purchase altogether if it were. After opening the game's launcher it takes approximately five minutes to check for updates and authenticate with servers. After finally being able to launch the game (the few times it is able to complete the update/authenticate process) you are automatically disonnected from the EA/SimCity servers and are unable to access any games as the games must be accessed from their servers. You are forced to exit the program and do the process all over again. After having a few hours of playtime on launch day I have yet to be able to play the game two days afterwards. The few times I was able to access games/servers the game was kept on an infinite loading screen. This game and its servers are broken. EA has also refused to issue a refund on a broken product. Expand
  95. Mar 7, 2013
    I never see so many problems with a game. Server busy, bugs, lost of savegames, and the "solutions" by now from EA and MAXIS are drop features. #SimCity #Fail
  96. Mar 8, 2013
    It's very sad that Maxis had a wonderful game that was made unplayable by EA's nonsense (DRM single-player). Sadly, the only way to get their attention is to not buy their games. Gonna try to send mine back to Amazon and get back my $50.
  97. Mar 8, 2013
    -1 point for the graphical aspect of the game including animations making your city really beautiful and living.
    -0 for the launch, the always connected "thing", the size of the maps, the friends system not working, the arrogance of Maxis, and the "The Simsization" of the game making it more casual
  98. Mar 8, 2013
    Horrible "always on" DRM. Unable to save game at will, if it crashes or internet is gone you lose your progress in the game. Ultra tiny maps, no comparison to old versions of the game. plus 59€ for a PC game. are you kidding me? :O

i want to love this game, but i can not.
  99. Mar 8, 2013
    Can't be connected Bravo EA EA Money factory I hope you ll not try again and plummet a good licence
    Perhaps because most cannot get on the servers to play. A complete fail from EA once again, I will not be giving Maxis my money again EA can suck my
  100. Mar 8, 2013
    The game is almost certain a good game, If you ever could get it to install. When a single player game like SimCity get server problems its a big issue for me. I have several old Simcity in my shelf and I enjoy the type of game. But buying a game to enjoy to be hindered by DRM is just stupid. I wish I didn't bought the game right now. Rating 0/10

Given enough patches and DCLs, SimCity might eventually become the game that should have been on its release and justify the ambiguous choices that its developers made. [May 2013]
  2. May 9, 2013
    Hints at great things but is limited by small cities and promises it can't deliver on. [June 2013, p.80]
  3. May 9, 2013
    There's more problems with this game than I have words. Looks great though. [June 2013, p.80]