2.2

1. Mar 5, 2013
    Basically you buy a game for full price, and you do not even own it. Imagine 5 years from now EA closing the servers for the game. What now? You have a game you paid full price, but you can not play. Honestly if you pay for this, you are one of those people who do not mind being fooled by multi-billion-dollar corporations that exploit gamers. EA is ruining the gaming world with itsBasically you buy a game for full price, and you do not even own it. Imagine 5 years from now EA closing the servers for the game. What now? You have a game you paid full price, but you can not play. Honestly if you pay for this, you are one of those people who do not mind being fooled by multi-billion-dollar corporations that exploit gamers. EA is ruining the gaming world with its actions. You can vote with your wallet! I only feel sorry for the developers who put a lot of work into their game just to be ruined by EA. Expand
  2. Apr 14, 2014
    Since they decided to add an offline mod and after numerous patches i thought I would finally give it a go and see how it fares. THE GAME IS HORRIBLE, DISGUSTING PILE OF S***. They ruined everything that was good about the game, instead of allowing you to build even larger cities now that the hardware has advanced they made them so small I ran out of room so fast I wasn't able to blink.Since they decided to add an offline mod and after numerous patches i thought I would finally give it a go and see how it fares. THE GAME IS HORRIBLE, DISGUSTING PILE OF S***. They ruined everything that was good about the game, instead of allowing you to build even larger cities now that the hardware has advanced they made them so small I ran out of room so fast I wasn't able to blink. This is BS. You aren't even building a village let alone a city and why can't the AI remove abandoned buildings by itself so I don't have to micromanage it. The only innovation are the curved streets, wow, oh and did I mention that half of the stuff in the game is actually part of DLC's. Unbelievable. STAY AWAY FROM THIS C*** AND SAVE YOUR MONEY. Expand
  3. Mar 14, 2013
    Update 3/14: Login issues seem to be fixed, but there are still major problems with this game. We all know about the forced online and small map size, but I haven't seen too many people mention the bugs. Remember how the beta was capped at 1 hour? There are TONS of issues, and most of them only become apparent after a few hours of play. I suspect the beta was less about finding andUpdate 3/14: Login issues seem to be fixed, but there are still major problems with this game. We all know about the forced online and small map size, but I haven't seen too many people mention the bugs. Remember how the beta was capped at 1 hour? There are TONS of issues, and most of them only become apparent after a few hours of play. I suspect the beta was less about finding and squashing bugs, and more about publicity. I've had every single sim become homeless for no apparent reason, hundreds of thousands of simoleans disappear from my treasury, buses and trade centers refuse to work despite there being no traffic, and power to cities going out upon logging, taking several in-game days before it decides to turn on again. The list goes on. Now, the SimCity franchise is no stranger to bugs, but these are literally game-ending because there is no save ability. There are questionable gameplay mechanics too, such as the inter-connectivity of cities, where a single 'bad' player can ruin a game, or the crippling simplicity of the transit, job and housing system. The latter has only become apparent in the last few days, and it indicates everything Maxis/EA told us about sophisticated AI and massive amounts of route calculations was a lie. Google it and see for yourself. SimCity is not a 'sim' in any sense of the word, and I can't recommend it to anyone. Expand
  4. May 13, 2013
    Just goes to show you, trying to actively prevent piracy over giving someone a good game only encourages piracy. Why pay $60 dollars for a DRM bug ridden mess, when hackers have made it to where you can pirate the game for free and not be locked into the DRM.
  5. May 4, 2013
    Well another butchered Legend. This is by far the worst instalment of Sim City. DRM is BS, Cities are too small and everything is dumbed down. On the other hand Congratulations EA on your secund Worst Company in America.
  6. Mar 7, 2013
    Their is really no better way to put this, Will Wright enjoyed portions of the game itself, but his lack of actual experience in the franchise or activity "creating" outside of the original has long since past. So typically, when compared to previous entries in the franchise, this title is basically a turd wrapped in incredibly tasty bacon- Great on the outside, but the core mechanics ofTheir is really no better way to put this, Will Wright enjoyed portions of the game itself, but his lack of actual experience in the franchise or activity "creating" outside of the original has long since past. So typically, when compared to previous entries in the franchise, this title is basically a turd wrapped in incredibly tasty bacon- Great on the outside, but the core mechanics of the game are a massive step back from the established concepts. The tragedy of all of this, is that EA is likely to not take any feedback whatsoever from the reactions on sites like metacritic and will continue to release expansion/ content packs in a vain attempt to tie Simcity to "The Sims. trilogy." Very little good comes from games that are released in this form, DRM, Online Only and I own a lot of software these days. The twist is that titles I've payed good money for that use this methodology are actually titles I don't bother to play anymore hardly at all. Of course software companies do not care, they already have my money and really we should be the consumers to spot this lunacy and stop it on our own. The irony is piracy, with its foreshadowed "end" near according to the six strikes rule, couldn't be a better example of the people that are still getting the better product overall. I own all the Simcity games, I own all of the Sims games up to the second one and its just astonishing to see backlash like this go unheeded once again. You'd think a company like EA would learn from follies like "Spore," but even years after that disastrous release, they still commit to this absurd idea that a good percentage of us don't want to be legitimate customers. Their are more people than ever purchasing software (in the middle of a recession- I may add) and yet these once "industry leaders" offer very little respect to the consumer base they rely on for everything. Piracy isn't the only way to understand why a game is floundering after release and much like Diablo III, the end result will be the same with such ridiculous security standards. Was I excited when Diablo III was announced featuring constant "online activation" at all times just so I could play it? Of course not. It garnered no interest from me regardless of such silly anti-piracy measures. I enjoyed Diablo and its sequel, namely because they were solid games that were received well by most people when they came out. Did I enjoy the Warcraft series? Of course and does that mean that I'm a filthy pirate for not purchasing World of Warcraft or even playing it? I guess what I'm merely suggesting is, if the interest is there- than a sale they would see. These companies pump up their advertising for these games, get Will freakin' Wright to comment on it, and it still ends up being a terribly average game. Meanwhile, Tomb Raider is actually pretty solid, and you can bet that I will be purchasing that game fairly soon. Meanwhile, another city builder game that hardly even builds from its former will never get my attention or my sale. It certainly won't be getting pirated either. Expand
  7. Mar 8, 2013
    When I read SimCity had constant online DRM I didn't buy it. When I read Deadspace 3 had microtransactions I didn't buy it. It seems EA is including these things that players DO NOT WANT in their games and they are now sourly paying the price. EA is the next THQ, watch it go bankrupt. The only difference is that EA actually deserves it.
  8. Apr 2, 2013
    Ok now I've changed my mind. I voted 5 of 10 for this game. Yes, I know launch was awful, but the game itself isnt so bad. That was until I built one big city. The bugwave overwhelmed me. So many bugs and not a single solution, not a single patch, now I cant play my city due to bugs. What I payed money for Its 0 of 10, complete fail. Thank you EA, thank you Maxis, this was the lastOk now I've changed my mind. I voted 5 of 10 for this game. Yes, I know launch was awful, but the game itself isnt so bad. That was until I built one big city. The bugwave overwhelmed me. So many bugs and not a single solution, not a single patch, now I cant play my city due to bugs. What I payed money for Its 0 of 10, complete fail. Thank you EA, thank you Maxis, this was the last product I bought from you. Expand
  9. Mar 5, 2013
    did not buy, will not buy. Sim City is one of my all time favorite franchises, but I absolutely refuse to buy any game that has forced online DRM, especially for a single player game. Sorry EA has completely screwed up on this one!!
  10. Mar 13, 2013
    The main point isn't even the DRM. It's the fact that the logic of the game in so many areas JUST DOESN'T WORK. Simoleons are lost, weird limits placed on buying energy or shipping waste or whatever, shops restocking with no need of industry (and no other players and at ZERO cost to your "mini city" People leaving work from home" A" and returning to a completely different house.. HomeThe main point isn't even the DRM. It's the fact that the logic of the game in so many areas JUST DOESN'T WORK. Simoleons are lost, weird limits placed on buying energy or shipping waste or whatever, shops restocking with no need of industry (and no other players and at ZERO cost to your "mini city" People leaving work from home" A" and returning to a completely different house.. Home "B" and then repeating this randomly every day, pathfinding for traffic terrible. Waste not clearing, cash limits "sticking". The logic of the game is just plain BROKEN all over the place. The list could go on and on and on. For the first 90 minutes you are thinking
    "This is a good game. Looks good, if the servers OK I'm going to enjoy this"... Then WHAM the logic somewhere trips you up and often it's a game ending error. Nothing to do with servers or online logic issues these are pure and simple game logic errors and LOTS OF THEM. As for online multiplay. Sharing a zone is a nightmare without some sort of "mind control" over your fellow players.
    Everyone has to build at the same rate for this to work. and display co-ordination and co-operatiion over the long term consistent communication and really playing "one way" that would need to be pre decided before the game begins. It almost requires separate coms software and tracking to get this to work even then, if a player stops playing, wants to experiment, or comes across a problem and doesn't communicate quickly your own "city" (tiny village) is most likely on a downward spiral to collapse as a result. And this happens...every game.

Rely on someone to provide your power? Well make sure he or she is playing and expanding at about the same rate and at the same time as you or BAM it goes out of the window. Same with waste same with EVERYTHING. You need almost superhuman co-ordination to get a 15 player map to any decent level using multiplayer. It's darn hard with 3!

Then you realize why goods appear from no-where at zero cost. Maxis knew the game logic was bust and hid 1/3rd of the issue by making these phantom products for "C" districts to sell. But didn't apply the same "bodge" fixes to "I" or "R" (perhaps becasue that would have let the cat out of the bag too early as far as botched game mechanics go)

For me the idea of global market multiplayer seems quite atractive. I would go online for that for sure. It WOULD bring a new facet to the game. I would hope it was optional. But that is academic. It doesn't work and it's not just a "little bit" broke go deep enough into any facet of the game and it will unravel into a mess of faulty logic and counter intuitive reactions from your Sims. My two pence worth is Maxis "shoe horned" multiplayer functionality in sometime mid 2012 to justify always online DRM. And botched the logic..BADLY. I'd like to say probably at the request of EA but I have no idea whether that would be true or not.

The sad thing is all of this worked (and still does) with Sim City 4. A ten year old game that works almost flawlessly to this day and is what I'm playing on my other monitor as I type this.
  11. Mar 17, 2013
    SimCity is finally *playable.* I'm not going to bother with the always-on DRM pros/cons/WTF EAs except to say I don't feel like it helps the game at all. (Most of you probably have your own opinions on this, and I'll bet 99% of you agree with me) So, the game itself... it is a more simplified game than SimCitys past. And when I say simplified, I mean really simplified in almost everySimCity is finally *playable.* I'm not going to bother with the always-on DRM pros/cons/WTF EAs except to say I don't feel like it helps the game at all. (Most of you probably have your own opinions on this, and I'll bet 99% of you agree with me) So, the game itself... it is a more simplified game than SimCitys past. And when I say simplified, I mean really simplified in almost every way. For a newbie to simulation strategy games, then SimCity may be a decent start for you. The mechanics of the game are easy to learn. The sizes of your cities are tiny. Tiny to the point where if you know what you are doing, you will fill that entire space to maximum capacity within about 6 hours of game time. You can potentially have a city half covered in skyscrapers in that amount of time. That's with Llama speed too (the 2nd fastest game pace, and the fastest available as of writing). So, from there, you either keep growing in... or you make a new city. What does making a new city do? Well, it freezes your other city for starters (your city only progresses when YOU are inside of it), and you basically start a brand new city from complete scratch. Cities in the same region are connected in a sense, regions can share almost any asset possible, ranging from workers, to resources, to wealth. What happens in one city can also make impacts on the rest. Cities in the same region are very intertwined with each other. For example, I have a city in the same region as a friend. My friend is specializing in industry, however, I'm specializing in tourism. Sadly, I'm downwind of him, so all that air pollution he produces is making its way into my region, causing widespread illness. Luckily, hes willing to get those factories upgraded, but there is nothing I can do to force him. Are you seeing the pros and cons of this? On the topic of specializations, while we are mentioning it, they are helpful, but they don't feel significant. What I mean by that is, you could go ahead ignoring all city specializations and be fine. Maxis seemed to emphasize these, but they feel like an afterthought to me unless I am specifically looking for a coal mine or something. So, if you are a long time SimCity fan, this game is going to be a mixed bag. I'm sure many of you will enjoy some of the enhancements, but I'm also certain that that same many of you will loathe a lot more of them. My final score is 4/10. SimCity is a game that has a lot going for it, but the complexity has been diminished severely and relying on the SimCity servers is a pain (I guarantee the servers WILL be the thing you will hate most about SimCity). Otherwise, the game itself plays well when the servers are working. Expand
  12. Mar 5, 2013
    I won't even start on the mandatory online component/DRM that stuff is bad enough but what really bothers me are the tiny map sizes. Who at Maxis/EA possibly thought that would be a good idea? People said it's a limit of the beta version, but now the full game is just like that. This is NOT SimCity. This is SimVillage.
  13. Mar 19, 2013
    I promised myself, the only time I would ever give a game a "0" would be if I bought the game, put it in or booted it up, and it didn't play. That's exactly what happened. I was foolish enough to buy the digital download version. This prompted a mass email telling me I would not receive a refund that I had yet to ask for because I was still troubleshooting.
  14. Jan 13, 2014
    Electronic Arts ruins yet another franchise, and yet another developer. It is hard to see how Maxis could recover from this nightmare of a game--a cash grab counting on the SimCity name, and nothing more--and we have likely seen the end of the SimCity franchise. Tiny maps, broken mechanics (even almost a year after launch) and dumbed-down casual gameplay makes this one of the worst gamesElectronic Arts ruins yet another franchise, and yet another developer. It is hard to see how Maxis could recover from this nightmare of a game--a cash grab counting on the SimCity name, and nothing more--and we have likely seen the end of the SimCity franchise. Tiny maps, broken mechanics (even almost a year after launch) and dumbed-down casual gameplay makes this one of the worst games ever made, when compared to the classics of SimCity's past. Expand
  15. Mar 8, 2013
    Revising downward, because the game is still broken and at this point it's just a total joke. Even Polygon's review has been changed to 40 (from 95) on their website. EA has resorted to disabling all the social features that they claimed made always-online necessary in the first place, so now it's just a bald faced lie. It's DRM, period. That DRM is breaking the game. As it stands rightRevising downward, because the game is still broken and at this point it's just a total joke. Even Polygon's review has been changed to 40 (from 95) on their website. EA has resorted to disabling all the social features that they claimed made always-online necessary in the first place, so now it's just a bald faced lie. It's DRM, period. That DRM is breaking the game. As it stands right now this product is not fit for sale. They also disabled cheetah speed, a feature of every other Simcity game. Pathetic. If you get past all the server problems, the city size is still absurdly small (no doubt because their servers can't handle larger ones), but who cares about that when the game flat out doesn't work reliably? Expand
  16. Mar 13, 2013
    This game is not bad! Sure, the always online DRM is awful and very annoying considering my internet clunks out every once in a while, and it doesn't save on to your computer, but other than that it is not bad. It is a very addicting game.
  17. Mar 24, 2014
    I love SimCity 2000, SimCity 3000, SimCity 4, The Sims, SimCopter, et cetera. EA Ruined Maxis, this game stinks. SimCity 2013 is a scam and EA is the snake oil selling con artist. Disgusting.
  18. Mar 19, 2013
    I rated it Unplayable or 0 because it keeps refusing to run this game,the server overloaded,bad performance,a dumb-downed Sim City 4,smaller place to build city and a freaking DRM just awful.This is ONLY SINGLE PLAYER GAME....Why need Online,i really lose my faith looking this series anymore...if you are a die-hard fans of Sim City,i suggest that you play the Sim City 4 instead.
  19. Nov 26, 2014
    Oh dear, what a massive disappointment! I avoided this when it was released due to the widespread bugs - but I heard they'd been fixed and it was available cheap so I gave it a shot.

To be perfectly blunt, this game does not hold a candle - even today - to Sim City 4. It's laughable in comparison. Everything has a gloss on it which gives a distinctly cartoon-like feel, completely ruining immersion in the simulation. It doesn't look "bad" as such, but it isn't what I'm looking for in a city simulator; why micromanage something that doesn't take itself seriously? Don't get me wrong, adding a bit of fun and quirkiness has always been a feature of the Sim games, but that can be done by the context of the game (such as the llama references and such) rather than with the graphical look.

The maps are so small that it should be called Sim Village. They even managed to ruin the UI, which was one of the only weaknesses in Sim City 4 - it's now outright annoying.

So even at a low price, I can't recommend this title. Sim City 4 is available on GOG and is comfortably the superior game in pretty much every respect.

In summary, Sim City and Sims 4 shows how far EA have fell with this franchise. Both are cash cows for the gullible, and I won't be caught out again.
  20. Mar 11, 2013
    Ok now that the servers are back up and running alright, here is my proper review. my rating was a 3/10 because of all the crap this game threw at us at its launch. to be honest this game had one of the worst launches of any game, in history. i don't think this game will ever truly recover from it, this 1.5 rating is way too low for a game like this. and many people will not change theirOk now that the servers are back up and running alright, here is my proper review. my rating was a 3/10 because of all the crap this game threw at us at its launch. to be honest this game had one of the worst launches of any game, in history. i don't think this game will ever truly recover from it, this 1.5 rating is way too low for a game like this. and many people will not change their reviews because they are too fed up with the DRM. which is totally understandable. but the game is really fun. you can create entire trade networks and intricate cities. this increases the depth from the previous simcity games. managing the city is very fun. managing buildings is an amazing feature. although map sizes restrict you from building more advanced structures later on that is really my only complaint. this game has tons of potential and will have DLC i assure you (mostly because EA is a jerk) good game. sucks the EA gave it a bad rep. this DRM is a horrible thing for the gaming community but that doesn't mean simcity is a bad game Expand
  21. May 11, 2013
    I wondered I wondered why all of you hated this game! This was until it crashed every time I did anything. Since I have a great computer I looked up this just to see that more than 600 people have complained about this on various websites. Now I can't play it and I wasted 60 dollars. Other than that this game is decent.
  22. Sep 3, 2014
    A bad game made even worse by DRM and forced online play. What a way to ruin a perfectly good series that will probably never be the same. Thanks EA, you did it again.
  23. Mar 7, 2013
    Programmed as quick money grab with poor game mechanics. If you can play this game at all because of the poor always online servers you'll find yourself in an oversimplified version of SimCity 4 with comical graphics. This game takes you by the hand and does the thinking for you. Being Mayor of a city? More like being major dump!
  24. Mar 11, 2013
    Pretending like the series doesn't exist by not calling it SimCity 5/2013/etc, trying to take credit for something that wasn't their creation (original Maxis founder Will Wright is no longer at the company). Which would be OK if the game was good enough to re-invent the series, but it isn't. It's a sequel to SimTown, the kids version of SimCity, this is NOT SimCity since you cannot buildPretending like the series doesn't exist by not calling it SimCity 5/2013/etc, trying to take credit for something that wasn't their creation (original Maxis founder Will Wright is no longer at the company). Which would be OK if the game was good enough to re-invent the series, but it isn't. It's a sequel to SimTown, the kids version of SimCity, this is NOT SimCity since you cannot build cities. The play area is tiny and you're not going to be able to build huge sprawling metropolises like in previous games, until of course the £20 expansion pack comes out that adds it. Infantile challenge with pre-made regions and already connected transport links, infrastructure being way too simple to set up and provide and the economy is so easy to balance you barely even need to look at your financial menu. Day 1 DLC. Microtransactions in a game you've already paid for. No terraforming. Always on DRM. Always on multiplayer. EA. Origin. Any of this sounding good? You need help. EAMaxis' demographic has been slowly changing since the first Sims, from adult gamers who enjoy in depth simulation games to kids who want to play with a digital dollhouse. Which is fine, kids need games too, but with no adult alternatives and horrible business practices taking advantage of their young userbase (Sims 3 content costs £300+) it dismays me. The positives: the engine is quite nice and stable and it looks pretty enough and I do actually like the region trading system even if I resent being forced into it, but that's not enough to redeem this insult to the series. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to play SimCity 4 Expand
  25. Mar 5, 2013
    The terrible treatment of legitimate paying customers makes the new Sim City impossible to recommend. Lacking features from the original games show that quality of service does not equal success of the game. EA is certainly not going to care about these issues, DRM or crappy DLC packs of shaved content from the original release if they sell a lot of copies, which is a sad reality with manyThe terrible treatment of legitimate paying customers makes the new Sim City impossible to recommend. Lacking features from the original games show that quality of service does not equal success of the game. EA is certainly not going to care about these issues, DRM or crappy DLC packs of shaved content from the original release if they sell a lot of copies, which is a sad reality with many modern AAA titles. Expand
  26. Dec 30, 2013
    SimCity 2013 is greedy money grabs & anti consumer practices like this that is the reason why EA has earned and deserved the Golden Poo award two years running EA stop turning games into services that nonbody wanted
  27. May 13, 2013
    Always online DRM for a single player game, when servers will be down then you'll be locked out of your single player game, save states being tied to client-side servers, Origin only game, day 0 downloadable content and many DLC's will be released in future at high prices for low gain on your end, with poor customer service, basicly this is a facebook game, being sold as a PC game, avoidAlways online DRM for a single player game, when servers will be down then you'll be locked out of your single player game, save states being tied to client-side servers, Origin only game, day 0 downloadable content and many DLC's will be released in future at high prices for low gain on your end, with poor customer service, basicly this is a facebook game, being sold as a PC game, avoid this game at all cost. Expand
  28. Mar 11, 2013
    SimCity is a case study in the danger of pre-ordering titles. The launch was messed up so badly that even as they restore the title's playability the initial terrible impression lingers and further mars the experience in the future. I've heard the official position of the value of an always-on connection for the game and that it is needed to for "social features". Yeah, I'm not buyingSimCity is a case study in the danger of pre-ordering titles. The launch was messed up so badly that even as they restore the title's playability the initial terrible impression lingers and further mars the experience in the future. I've heard the official position of the value of an always-on connection for the game and that it is needed to for "social features". Yeah, I'm not buying the argument. Look, I get that these games are incredibly expensive to make and that publishers need to fend off piracy and losses from dud releases to stay in business, but I'm positive that this is not the way to approach it. Anyway, there are a lot of cool titles this year (including the release of Playstation 4) and you might want to save your money for those instead. Pass on this one. Expand
  29. Mar 8, 2013
    This review is based on the current state of the game (minus connection issues). This game has online only DRM which was justified by making a single player game multiplayer by having regions share resources. However, this feature currently doesn't work and EA has admitted as much. You cannot share workers, resources, or money. City Hall upgrades do not sync with the region and carry overThis review is based on the current state of the game (minus connection issues). This game has online only DRM which was justified by making a single player game multiplayer by having regions share resources. However, this feature currently doesn't work and EA has admitted as much. You cannot share workers, resources, or money. City Hall upgrades do not sync with the region and carry over into other towns. As usual for an EA game it is infested with all kinds of other bugs. IE water is supposed to refill when it rains: Not working. Emergency vehicles will sit in long traffic lines even when there's an open road near by. You will also see fire fighters drive around in circles on the roads rather than go to fires. Fire Marshalls Wellness vans will randomly target buildings rather than prioritize high fire/gem prone areas. Not worth buying for a few months until they 1) Fix connection issues and add servers. 2) Patch all the broken features and revamp traffic AI. Expand
  30. Mar 7, 2013
    Despite the poor reviews, I bought the game. At least i found the cheapest possible copy I could,
    which was 100,- Norwegian Kroner cheaper than on the Norwegian EA site.
    Why did I buy it you ask? Simply because I was curious as to how bad it could actually be. I'm two hours into trying to play it. So far all servers are full, and even though I occasionally manage to log on an
    which was 100,- Norwegian Kroner cheaper than on the Norwegian EA site.

I'm two hours into trying to play it. So far all servers are full, and even though I occasionally manage to log on an american server, I am rewarded with a different bug. Bottom line. I can't play the game, yet!
  31. Mar 6, 2013
    EA must have thought they would be able to get away with a high priced game, day 1 DLC, micro-transations, online save games, and the ability to completely disable the game when its no longer profitable to run the DRM servers because SimCity is a popular and well respected game franchise. Well EA have probably just destroyed it and not just because of the reasons already mentioned, butEA must have thought they would be able to get away with a high priced game, day 1 DLC, micro-transations, online save games, and the ability to completely disable the game when its no longer profitable to run the DRM servers because SimCity is a popular and well respected game franchise. Well EA have probably just destroyed it and not just because of the reasons already mentioned, but because the game is dumbed down and boring and the city sizes are tiny. They should have called this game DRMTown rather than SimCity. Expand
  32. Mar 6, 2013
    I paid 80 EUR (that's $104) for a game I can't play. The DRM is simply BS. I had to wait 30 minutes in a queue just to get told once that time was over that servers are busy and the client was closed. This is unacceptable.
  33. May 15, 2014
    I just can't get past the small maps even if they try to spruce it up with great graphics and music Simcity simply doesn't feel fun to play with how small the maps are.

BIGGER MAPS!
  34. Mar 7, 2013
    It is sad, but if I would spend my 80eur on empty DVD box from Tesco, I would received more content :-/
    Simcity so far took my money, time (googling for status updates) and provided no content at all.
  35. Mar 5, 2013
    Aside from issues such as origin, requiring a constant internet connection (I already have this wonderful device to save my games it's called a hard drive), and DRM which has been proven to promote piracy, the game is simply crap. Regions cannot be edited, the city sizes are tiny and all the finger details which made simcity great are gone. This is simply a dumbed down version of simcityAside from issues such as origin, requiring a constant internet connection (I already have this wonderful device to save my games it's called a hard drive), and DRM which has been proven to promote piracy, the game is simply crap. Regions cannot be edited, the city sizes are tiny and all the finger details which made simcity great are gone. This is simply a dumbed down version of simcity 4 that looks nice. Check the ratings, the prime demographic has spoken, but as usual EA is too stupid to listen to their customer base. Ignore the hired spokesmen, which includes the media, this game is crap. Expand
  36. Mar 11, 2013
    Last EA game I will ever buy.........and if this is the way single player games are going on PC....probably one of the last PC games I ever buy.
    EA=FAIL
  37. Mar 29, 2013
    it requires a constant internet connection AND origin. Nuff said.
    it requires a constant internet connection AND origin. Nuff said.
    I don't care if a million critics hail as game of the year or game of the god damn universe. The day draconian DRM gets this entangled into my computer is the day I pretty much put CCTV camera's into my house, bend over and accept minimum wage back breaking work for the rest of my natural born life. Or more realistically HAVE A STABLE CONSTANT INTERNET CONNECTION which only 30% of the population of America has. I'm not going to argue against EA because they can probably buy out or black mail anyone who speaks against it in the professional review world & I haven't said anything has already been said by millions of other people. To hell with EA & their stupid logic for treating everyone like criminals & hurting only their customers.
  38. Mar 9, 2013
    Every single PC game requiring permanent internet connection for single player modus will be boycotted indefinately. Too bad, since I'm a huge Simcity fan since its humble beginnings, but I will not spend a single coin on this game before a patch for this silly DRM is released.
  39. Mar 5, 2013
    DRM with endless problems logging on to a single-player game. Check.
    A city so small you're done in an hour or two. Check.
    A future of nickle-and-diming paid customers to death. Check. Following the profit structured Social version rather than the fan-beloved SimCity 4 version. Check. Run by EA. Check. Critics giving 9's and 10's after playing on private servers for critics.
    DRM with endless problems logging on to a single-player game. Check.
    A city so small you're done in an hour or two. Check.
    A future of nickle-and-diming paid customers to death. Check.
    Run by EA. Check.
    Critics giving 9's and 10's after playing on private servers for critics. Check. Everyone else giving 0-3 rating. Check.

Efforts like this MUST fail or it is all we will get in the future. I remember the days when I would call in sick to work to play an awesome newly-released game. I'd spend hours playing and I wouldn't regret playing hooky at all. Now you try to do it only to discover that you spend the day in a que waiting to play a single-player game you already paid for. Thank god I tried it at a friend's house. Once it actually logged him on (an hour later), and four interruptions and two hours later, and we felt like we were basically done. Couldn't expand any further.

This isn't the rebirth of SimCity and this isn't the way games should be made and marketed. Protest with your wallet. Keep it closed.
  40. Mar 7, 2013
    The DRM is inexcusable.
    The fact that this is a goddamn $80 game that's next to unplayable is inexcusable.
    The fact that this is an extremely incomplete $80 game with tons of already finished DLC on the way is inexcusable.

This is the single worst game EA has made since Spore. Spore.
  41. X0R
    Mar 27, 2013
    Lots of negative reviews here, so I won't go through this with a new microscope. Overall, it's been a very disappointing experience so far. Previous Simcity versions were great for the times they were developed in IMHO I really thought they were going to release something very special and amazing for 2013. Outside of the lame reasons to use server DRM instead of something similar butLots of negative reviews here, so I won't go through this with a new microscope. Overall, it's been a very disappointing experience so far. Previous Simcity versions were great for the times they were developed in IMHO I really thought they were going to release something very special and amazing for 2013. Outside of the lame reasons to use server DRM instead of something similar but more functional. The frequent downtime and overall bugginess is awful. I read that one of the developers said something to the effect that this has MMO components. Where? For example, I created an instance but you can't find it when browsing player cities. After a day or two, the game is now boring to me. Expand
  42. Mar 10, 2013
    Yeaaah there is absolutely no way I'm buying any product even associated with EA ever again. Any thank god, because that means I won't have to deal with F***ing Origin ever, the least of all my concerns with this horrible, broken, simplified game with an utter disaster of a launch and DRM scheme.
  43. Mar 22, 2013
    always online DRM means no servers no playing game didn't need it, they put it in there for no reason.

can't share saves and you HAVE to save to their servers city sizes are terribly small, in fact you can probably build a bigger city in sim city 2000 which came out in like the 90's the AI is terrible, you will have fire fighters drive in circles or wait in traffic. it's stupid.

can't share saves and you HAVE to save to their servers

if you want a real city builder, get cities XL, tropico 4, or go back and play sim city 4, if you support this game you don't support gaming.

the 0 score is for not working, and the few times it lets you play, the gameplay is terrible.
  44. Jul 19, 2013
    I played both SimCity 4 and The Sims. This game plays more like The Sims. Compared to SimCity 4, it's a game for children about virtual doll houses, not a city planning simulator. I don't get all the critics' reviews about how beautifully planned and well-made it is. It does look good visually, which is no surprise, considering how old previous SimCity is. But it's way too oversimplifiedI played both SimCity 4 and The Sims. This game plays more like The Sims. Compared to SimCity 4, it's a game for children about virtual doll houses, not a city planning simulator. I don't get all the critics' reviews about how beautifully planned and well-made it is. It does look good visually, which is no surprise, considering how old previous SimCity is. But it's way too oversimplified and does not bring anything new for people who want to think a little, not just make ohhs and ahhs at the shiny colors and funny little people walking around. So, it would be a meh game, even if it wasn't for the mega offensive DRM. Expand
  45. Mar 7, 2013
    What is there to like about a singleplayer game that no one can play? You guessed right, nothing! I know EA is bad, but I never expected them to be this bad. Anyone who is giving this game above a 0 is the cancer that is killing gaming. If you are for some reason still thinking about buying this, don't. It is a massive waste of money. Kill yourself EA.
  46. Mar 9, 2013
    I'm going to put aside issues with the DRM and the cloud saving, the latter of which will probably be fixed in the future. I'm simply going to give my opinion of the game because that is really all the matters. That said, DON'T BUY THIS GAME. Gameplay is fast paced but very small scale. Picture sitting in a sandbox...literally, the sandbox that you sat in as a kid is probably about theI'm going to put aside issues with the DRM and the cloud saving, the latter of which will probably be fixed in the future. I'm simply going to give my opinion of the game because that is really all the matters. That said, DON'T BUY THIS GAME. Gameplay is fast paced but very small scale. Picture sitting in a sandbox...literally, the sandbox that you sat in as a kid is probably about the size of their cities. You want a huge metropolis? Too bad but for an extra £20 you can get the European Cities Set! I have no idea why you have to pay an extra £20 for a few game maps and a dozen or so new buildings but apparently EA have a damn good reason. There are a few interface innovations that take away a lot of the micro-management that plagued the two former games in the series but you will quickly run out of things to do and I personally was bored after a day of the single player. Multiplayer is really where they placed all their eggs and that is good fun if you're playing with the right people, but it's not that much different from one of the social media sim cities that are free. The reliability of the servers is bad for one person, with 3 or more it's impossible to get a really good game going so you are forced to stay small scale. Because of the online DRM you can't set up an LAN connection so I don't see this issue being solved anytime soon. All-in-all it's a steaming pile of that costs £45 (£65 for European Cities) and it's worth about £0.01. I looked at their website which claims they have won 26 PC game awards...I'm absolutely at a loss for where they got that figure, though many were given pre-release. It's just an example of how corrupt and deceptive is this thing called Gaming Journalism. Stay away from this game and away from anyone claiming to be a professional game critic. Expand
  47. Mar 25, 2014
    Wow? From whence do I begin?

Let's start by examining the critic score vs. user score. Never have I seen a more blatant example of EA exerting its advertising muscles and coercing good reviews. Is there actually anything good about this game? EA flat out lied about the game needing an Internet connection to play. Joke's on them, as usual. By enforcing a connection, they over-flooded
    Wow? From whence do I begin?

Is there actually anything good about this game? EA flat out lied about the game needing an Internet connection to play. Joke's on them, as usual. By enforcing a connection, they over-flooded their servers so no one could play at launch. Nice job.

You guys know about the horrendous routes Sims take to work already. You guys have all seen the hilarious terrain bugs, too. Ultimately, this game does not even deserve a 1 for the design decision of having a single city block constitute a "city". I hope EA lost millions on this game; that, however, is probably wishful thinking. Judging by the quality of this product, I doubt EA even spent a million on it. They just spent most of the budget advertising and callously deceiving die-hard Simcity hopefuls.

I bought Battlefield 4, but I guarantee you it'll be the last EA game I am ever, ever going to buy.
  48. Mar 12, 2013
    Haha, oh wow, my god, it hurts me so much to see this actually happening.
    Well, that was the last straw. I already made the mistake of buying HP2010 and BF3, I won't repeat it.
  49. May 26, 2013
    I tried to like this game. I really did. I spent a whole 32 pounds on this and I thought it'd be rude to not play it, so I gave it a go. What I got? A large laggy sack of disappointment. The Game itself has to connect to the Internet or you can't play, so I can barely play it. When you do start, you get an overly long laggy tutorial that has some useless features. And if you playI tried to like this game. I really did. I spent a whole 32 pounds on this and I thought it'd be rude to not play it, so I gave it a go. What I got? A large laggy sack of disappointment. The Game itself has to connect to the Internet or you can't play, so I can barely play it. When you do start, you get an overly long laggy tutorial that has some useless features. And if you play multiplayer, thieves and other can arrive from other players city and mess up yours. Things cost too much coins in game, so you can barely upgrade roads or build well needed things. And Sandbox mode isn't even Sandbox, you have limited money and not everything is unlocked. And the lag... oh I hate it. I am not one to care about graphic, but I had to turn off shading, shadows clouds etc to make it not lag. And then it looked like an Elementary School Drawing. Give this a miss. But the only good thing is that if your city sucks, natural disasters occur. So hey, you don't fell bad. Expand
  50. Mar 31, 2014
    I'll make it quick and simple.

It's a good game ruined by game-breaking bugs. EA has shown little interest in fixing these bugs. As a result you will end up needing to restart your city/region or accepting sacrifices due to bugs.

Be aware.
  51. Mar 7, 2013
    The premise has been lost with this game, with a name like Sim City you want to create just that. A vibrant metropolis of large scale. Unfortunately this has been lost forever now it seems. Maps are smaller then ever and while it has many great features these are virtually the same as the four games before it. The innovation that was promised really isn't there. The game forces you moreThe premise has been lost with this game, with a name like Sim City you want to create just that. A vibrant metropolis of large scale. Unfortunately this has been lost forever now it seems. Maps are smaller then ever and while it has many great features these are virtually the same as the four games before it. The innovation that was promised really isn't there. The game forces you more so then ever to link your city to neighbors which I felt was the fundamental flaw in Sim City 4. Everything under one roof so to speak now doesn't work. The choice isn't even there and has been simply removed. The are bugs and I had to hard restart the game on two occasions due to crashes. These didn't seem linked either so two hard restart bugs on launch isn't good at all. The biggest issue so far is the constant connecting to server issues associated with the needlessly over the top DRM. This function shouldn't make a game non-playable but it does. It kind of shocking that EA are so over-protective now that they will willingly hamper a players experience. I hope this is quickly patched. If so my rating will be higher, but in its current state the game is verging on unplayable. Expand
  52. Mar 5, 2013
    Ignoring all the terrible DRM problems, this game is still awful. You cant have any city building game when your city is so small. If I run out of space in under 2 hours, the game is already bad. There is games where map size isn't that much of a problem, but in city building games, you by default need a large area. The multiplayer interaction is forced, and seeing as I like playing it inIgnoring all the terrible DRM problems, this game is still awful. You cant have any city building game when your city is so small. If I run out of space in under 2 hours, the game is already bad. There is games where map size isn't that much of a problem, but in city building games, you by default need a large area. The multiplayer interaction is forced, and seeing as I like playing it in single player, that is unacceptable. No point in having 5 cities per regions if they are not always progressing when I am not playing in them. Expand
  53. Mar 5, 2013
    This game is a disgrace to the SimCity franchise. In summary, this version of SimCity equates to a dumbed-down Facebook game. The always-online-DRM is pretty much a dealbreaker, but I might have still considered buying it if it weren't for the restrictions this system places on you. So as the term suggests, always-online-DRM means there is NO offline single player for this game. Want toThis game is a disgrace to the SimCity franchise. In summary, this version of SimCity equates to a dumbed-down Facebook game. The always-online-DRM is pretty much a dealbreaker, but I might have still considered buying it if it weren't for the restrictions this system places on you. So as the term suggests, always-online-DRM means there is NO offline single player for this game. Want to play a single player world? Cool, you can do that, just sign into our servers first. Don't have internet? Need to pass the time on an airplane? Just play SimCity- oh wait, you can't. Ok, surely it can't be THAT big a deal, right? Wrong, not when you learn that you can't even save your worlds to your own hard drive. Everything you do has to be stored in EA's collection of poorly sustained servers. This also removes some of the magic of the old SimCity games, since it restricts you from destroying a city and reloading from an old save. This DRM system is restricting pretty basic freedoms of gaming. So there's the DRM system, which is a dealbreaker in itself, but what about the gameplay? Good news, that's a dealbreaker too. The cities are extremely small, you have no control over regional transport, there are no subways, and there is no terraforming. This game is completely misleading. This version of SimCity does not qualify as a full fledged video game. It qualifies as a Facebook game, at best. Don't waste your money on EA's little trap. Expand
  54. Mar 5, 2013
    I'll give it a 1 for pretty graphics. This game features no local save mechanism, forced connectivity to unstable servers, lack of basic infrastructure options (no subways), no custom region generations, and finally embarrassingly small map sizes. EA has ruined yet another great franchise, and much like Command Conquer before it, Sim City has been dumbed down and had all the intriguingI'll give it a 1 for pretty graphics. This game features no local save mechanism, forced connectivity to unstable servers, lack of basic infrastructure options (no subways), no custom region generations, and finally embarrassingly small map sizes. EA has ruined yet another great franchise, and much like Command Conquer before it, Sim City has been dumbed down and had all the intriguing parts ripped out of it. Expand
  55. Jun 29, 2013
    A HUGE step down from SimCity 4. DRM. Saves getting corrupted every couple of days on EA servers. Crashes. Alot of features taken away from SimCity 4. Music not as good as SimCity 4. Cities are tiny.
  56. Mar 6, 2013
    As if it wasn't enough that EA once again insists on a DRM system like Origin, they now additionally enforce a permanent internet connection for what is and should remain primarily a singleplayer game. And then of course there are the small city maps and the DLCs already being sold on release day which should have been a part of the main game. Such schemes should be reason enough even forAs if it wasn't enough that EA once again insists on a DRM system like Origin, they now additionally enforce a permanent internet connection for what is and should remain primarily a singleplayer game. And then of course there are the small city maps and the DLCs already being sold on release day which should have been a part of the main game. Such schemes should be reason enough even for the fans of the series to refrain from purchasing this game. Expand
  57. Mar 8, 2013
    Servers suck, drm bugs, small maps that are more like a town then a "city" They should just call it Sim Town..Its better to wait until they fix this then wait to enter a server to play
  58. Oct 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The tutorial is the only thing that´s good in the game. However, when the game really begins, I was really mad, cause the only thing that you can build are streets and roads, but if you place it wrong or put too much, you lose money, time and waste of tutorial process. What´s worse, everything is BLOCKED until you place the roads the correct way. Expand
  59. Mar 9, 2013
    So I can't just build a sprawling metropolis now I have to build in these little white boxes then start over when I run out of room because I need to have my little cities cooperate with one another in order to get by??? What is this are you serious with this!? Is this some lame way to force me to play with other peoples cities online? What if I don't want to? THen you are justSo I can't just build a sprawling metropolis now I have to build in these little white boxes then start over when I run out of room because I need to have my little cities cooperate with one another in order to get by??? What is this are you serious with this!? Is this some lame way to force me to play with other peoples cities online? What if I don't want to? THen you are just artificially limiting me after I have given you my money already. I call BS on this game.

Sad to see a once noble franchise reduced to smuldering rubble like Diablo. Yet another game ruined by online only DRM. How many more of these do we need? Toss it on the fire with the rest I guess. *sigh*
  60. Mar 17, 2013
    havent even bought the game to know how bad it really is. sims 4 is better than this rubbish. those giving it scores above 7 have never played a sim city game before. when a 10 year old game is better than a game just released you know something is wrong. sim city 4 has nice big plots of land to build on and doesnt need connecting to the internet. game can run perfectly fine offline. andhavent even bought the game to know how bad it really is. sims 4 is better than this rubbish. those giving it scores above 7 have never played a sim city game before. when a 10 year old game is better than a game just released you know something is wrong. sim city 4 has nice big plots of land to build on and doesnt need connecting to the internet. game can run perfectly fine offline. and this game isnt worth the price it is. maybe £9.99 like sim city 4 is now. oh did people mention you have to download spyware called origin to play this terrible game? just buy cities xl or anno 2070. they are much better games and only £20 Expand
  61. Apr 18, 2013
    If you were upset by the launch of Diablo 3 then Simcity 2013's launch will be familiar territory. A gaming company (named the worst Company in America again) failed to live up to the demand of their customers, which is pretty much the #1 thing a company should concern itself with. In repeated interviews they were asked by the press if they would be ready for the sheer demand on theirIf you were upset by the launch of Diablo 3 then Simcity 2013's launch will be familiar territory. A gaming company (named the worst Company in America again) failed to live up to the demand of their customers, which is pretty much the #1 thing a company should concern itself with. In repeated interviews they were asked by the press if they would be ready for the sheer demand on their servers that an always online title would make and they constantly answered they would be. They of course failed and failed in epic fashion. Whereas Diablo 3 gave you "Error 37" and simply did not let you connect, on launch Simcity teased you by claiming that servers were full and giving you a timer. When said timer ran out it would again fail to connect and again start another timer, usually with an even longer wait. Once the launch issues were corrected it became apparent that the always online function was more of a handicap than it first appeared. You could no longer load a city whenever you wanted, you had to rely on the auto save function to recover your city should the unthinkable happen (such as getting disconnected from the server) and on top of that the cities were not shared across servers and many people had to server hop in the opening weeks of the game just to get connected so their hard work was made moot when the server they were using became full and they had to choose another. Top this off with what amounts to EA's Policy of Customer gouging and you have the makings of an utter failure. It is apparent that EA intends to make users pay for additional content piece meal, bit by bit as they see fit to release it, Things that should be free like cosmetic changes to building styles or vehicles are in the works as paid DLC. There will be no community modding as the game has an always online DRM (even though EA will claim it is not for DRM purposes, they will quickly ban anyone who attempts to circumvent it). The worst offense however is the games lack of completeness. It ran through a Beta build, but it still felt rushed. Numerous problems plague players such as traffic not behaving in a proper fashion, buildings not operating with the intended functions, and AI controlled services such as fire and police, acting erratically in response to situations they are supposed to deal with. Putting this all aside the game is a great revisit to the franchise, but its innovations are its shortcomings as well. The smaller city sizes coupled with the "regional" play handicaps most players. Anyone wishing to play a solo region must now manage multiple cities to ensure that they get all the services and functions required for just one city to work and the region view and city changing view are ridiculously complicated, requiring you to jump back to your own city every time before you can look at someone else's city, You can't just view one neighbor's city and then from that city jump to another neighbor, you have to go back to your own city and then jump to the other neighbor. The game just feels halfhearted and rushed. Expand
  62. Mar 27, 2013
    I had a nice long review written, but their servers had an error and it was lost. Here is the short version. EA is using a DRM which requires you to always be online to play. You cannot save a game locally on your computer. That means if you drop your connection, you lost your city. They do not allow you to turn off disaster mode and the game has little to no challenge to it. The only goodI had a nice long review written, but their servers had an error and it was lost. Here is the short version. EA is using a DRM which requires you to always be online to play. You cannot save a game locally on your computer. That means if you drop your connection, you lost your city. They do not allow you to turn off disaster mode and the game has little to no challenge to it. The only good thing is the game is pretty. Avoid this game and you will avoid many headaches. Expand
  63. Mar 15, 2013
    I wasn't foolish enough to buy this game, Thankfully. The DRM that EA has instituted is unforgivable. Companies like EA need to learn a lesson to start treating their consumer base with more respect. I have for years not boycotted every game EA makes (beside BF3... which is awesome btw). EA YOU SUCK BALLS. PLEASE LEARN FROM THIS DISASTROUS MISTAKE.
  64. Apr 5, 2013
    never buy this game,, just waste money and time im really disappointed with this game,, and hope EA will give my money back..

and the online feature it really suck,,
    just annoying
  65. Mar 6, 2013
    TL;DR Here lies the corpse of SimCity, slain by the dishonorable EA.

TL;DR Here lies the corpse of SimCity, slain by the dishonorable EA.

Don't even waste your time or your money, let alone give another cent to EA, please just don't do it. You're basically paying for a neutered SimCity that removes many key features in exchange for "Always online" to play a strictly SINGLE PLAYER GAME. Besides the Always Online, DRM, bad graphics, neutered gameplay, full servers that don't enable you to even play, and just about everything else that could go wrong, this game could have been released for free and been just as bad. All the critic scores having an average of 91 could make me puke, welcome to the current state of paid reviews.I can go dig out the disk (well you don't need one actually) for SimCity 2000 right now and play it. What are the chances, that in 13 years, that you'll be able to play this pile of garbage? EA will have to cancel the servers or release an offline version, but I wouldn't even bet on those scumbags to do that.
  66. Mar 7, 2013
    I won't bother going into the all "I can't play it because EA uses always online DRM" because thousands of others already have so that's a tired speech to make. But no I can't play it because of EA's backwards thinking always online DRM garbage they forced in which only causes problems for their paying customers. Anyone who pirated this game has cracked it and happily been playing it whileI won't bother going into the all "I can't play it because EA uses always online DRM" because thousands of others already have so that's a tired speech to make. But no I can't play it because of EA's backwards thinking always online DRM garbage they forced in which only causes problems for their paying customers. Anyone who pirated this game has cracked it and happily been playing it while people who paid for it are stuck with intrusive DRM that messes up our ability to use the product we paid for.

Personally from what I was able to play I did not like it much at all. In fact I went over to gog.com (I love those guys) and I got sim city 4 instead and I am sending sim city 5 back for a refund and probably will never buy it again.

Sim city 5 first of all felt incomplete, a lot of things seemed missing like I dont like how the city size is limited as I remember EA saying they had much larger cities running themselves but scaled them back for the final product, you can't teraform like in past games, no subways, no farmlands, no power lines, no water lines and so on. A lot of little things are absent from the game which I fear means they will be sold to us later through microtransactions or DLC packs. Because EA has a nasty habit of nickel and diming their customers to death with over priced DLC and they love to force microtransactions into every game they make, even the ones where it makes no sense like dead space 3. Like the sims 3 for instance is not a new game, its many years old but yet if you want to buy it and all the content (including packs with pets, furniture and other such trivial things) you would spend upwards of 400 bucks or maybe more.

I hate the fact everything is stored on Cloud. I don't actually have anything saved that I do on my pc. I dependant on having to access their servers to play the game even by myself.

Multiplayer. While a interesting idea is being shoe horned into the game whether you want it or not. Personally I feel it is just an excuse to use always on DRM and force players to play their games and save content on their servers. I don't like it myself but others might. I want to sit, plot, plan and build my cities how I want with no interference from others. I don't want to play sim city to be social.

It requires Origin which I still dislike for numerous reasons. I don't even care for Steam really but I use steam and one digital service is enough for me. I don't want to spread my games out on multiple online services.

It has the look and feel of the sims, which I don't care for. It feels too cartoony, too unrealistic and it just feels like I am playing a sims game.

It also doesn't spark my creativity and desire to articulate every little thing in my head. I don't want to go into great detail and consideration when building. I found myself trying to very hard, but not actually "feeling it" so to speak. I was trying to force myself to enjoy it like I did previous games but it wasn't happening. But as soon as I loaded up sim city 4 it all came flooding back to me.
  67. Mar 21, 2013
    I'm sure I'd be happy to pay for a good game from a hard-working company, but that's not you, EA. Because of your BS unacceptable business practices I must insist on giving this game a definitive 0 for two reasons:
    1. Always-online DRM
    2. Broken gameplay elements This is complete BS EA! It's alienating gamers and your solution will be to probably buy some more DLC Packs. That's
    1. Always-online DRM
    2. Broken gameplay elements

This is complete BS EA! It's alienating gamers and your solution will be to probably buy some more DLC Packs. That's alright. I'll just give my money to companies who actually DO deserve it.
  68. Mar 11, 2013
    Oh ....always on DRM is for the players benefit? Well that changes everything then.....I had no idea that not being able to play a single player game due to failing server tech is all for MY benefit.

EA you have sunk to a new low......last game I ever buy from Electronic
  69. Mar 7, 2013
    Pretty sure any review of this game that is "positive" is written by someone who works for EA. How can you possibly say "the game itself is great" when you can't actually get into the game from a public server? It doesn't matter to me how slick the presentation is on the private servers they give to employees and game reviewers.

I predict Maxis doesn't fix the server issue and gives

I predict Maxis doesn't fix the server issue and gives up, leaving us with $60 coaster/DVDs for a game we never got to play. I have learned my lesson on buying "online" games.
  70. Mar 12, 2013
    As many others have stated, this could have been a great game. The developer (Maxis) and publisher (EA) had probably from the beginning planned for always-online DRM. That is, in order to play the game by yourself you must have a constant secure connection to EA's server. This puts you at the mercy of EA's hardware & IT team, something that is beyond yourAs many others have stated, this could have been a great game. The developer (Maxis) and publisher (EA) had probably from the beginning planned for always-online DRM. That is, in order to play the game by yourself you must have a constant secure connection to EA's server. This puts you at the mercy of EA's hardware & IT team, something that is beyond your control.---------------------------------------------------

Released on March 5th, it is now late afternoon March 12th and there are still major server issues. I am currently on West Coast 4 and am getting long que times trying to join, and it isn't even peak hours on the west coast. I can only assume the load will increase as most people get off work and arrive home in the next hour or two.--------------------------------------------------------

SimCity has traditionally been a single player game many people like to play around in for hundreds of real time hours. Since SimCity is "always multiplayer", in order to play by ones self you must create a region and set it to "Private" mode where only you or invited friends can join. The whole idea of that is counter-intuitive in the fullest. Instead of a traditional "Single Player" and "Multiplayer" button on the main menu that has worked for decades, Maxis forces you to click "Play" and enter the multiplayer screen. Someone not that initiated into how games work will find it frustrating to start a singleplayer game even though the "single player" is technically classified as private multiplayer.----------------------------------------

Maxis & EA are in full damage control public relations mode, all cheery smiles and apologies. Sadly, a large portion of the previously angry customer-base was easily bought with the offer of a free game. Instead of bombarding EA & Maxis with thousands of angry letters & emails demanding the removal of Online DRM and "Always multiplayer" nature of SimCity, they instead were bought off for around $60 and are now towing the line. They seem to think that companies releasing unfinished or highly flawed/untested products is A-ok, as long as they "pinky swear" to fix the game which the timeframe is never admitted. It could be 1 month or even two months before a game is fixed, but there will still be that large group of customers with unyielding blind faith, always ready to defend the happy, cheery gaming company that just recieved 60+ dollars from them for a buggy, non-working product.----------------------------- If you are wondering why game developers and publishers are getting away with extremely sloppy business practices, you need only look at the modern gamer. The customers are the problem because they do not vote with their wallets and protest in writing.--------------------------When you buy a new car, it usually comes with some kind of warranty. If your transmission for example blows seconds after your off the lot, they will replace it for free immediately. Conversely, you expect the car to be 100% working properly and built correctly when you buy it, and every car manufacturer does everything possible to make sure that happens long before you fork over the cash. The same MUST be true for all products or services. Mistakes do happen, but things of the magnitude of SimCity do not just happen accidentally. Someone somewhere made the decision that lower costs were more worth it than a working game. There will likely be bugs on all release of games, but we have the right to demand that their game work properly. In SimCity's case, it does not even work at all.-------------- Don't believe the public relations spin and the attempt to buy your sympathy and loyalty back. If you have any principles at all, for god sakes please make your integrity one of them. Show EA/Maxis that no, you cannot be simply be bought for $60. Demand they remove Online DRM, demand a deserved true Single Player, among various other small things.------ I rated this a 3 out of 10, only because in the extremely short time I have played the actual game, it is well done. Probably the biggest sadness of all is that underneath these unacceptable business practices, a good development team has produced a pretty awesome game.
  71. Mar 23, 2013
    -5 points for botching the launch. I couldn't play it for a week. That's just pathetic. It deserves an 8. I would give it a 10 [-5] but it feels like half the game is missing of which im sure will show up in 6 months for another 80 dollars and called an expansion pack.... which no-one will buy. good job EA. Also the clear attempt at micro-transactions is a giant FU to customers who dropped-5 points for botching the launch. I couldn't play it for a week. That's just pathetic. It deserves an 8. I would give it a 10 [-5] but it feels like half the game is missing of which im sure will show up in 6 months for another 80 dollars and called an expansion pack.... which no-one will buy. good job EA. Also the clear attempt at micro-transactions is a giant FU to customers who dropped huge amounts of money on this thing. Expand
  72. Sep 10, 2013
    This game is such a disgrace to what used to be a stellar series, not due to the core game, but due to the cynical and life draining DRM and internet only play which restrict so much of what SimCity is about. Unfortunately even when actually managing to play, the game commits suicide by having tiny city squares and ridiclous restrictions on buildings, whose only raison d'etre is toThis game is such a disgrace to what used to be a stellar series, not due to the core game, but due to the cynical and life draining DRM and internet only play which restrict so much of what SimCity is about. Unfortunately even when actually managing to play, the game commits suicide by having tiny city squares and ridiclous restrictions on buildings, whose only raison d'etre is to persuade you to play with others, a feature that the game already betrays itself!

Unfortunately I believe that this game is too flawed at the fundamental level to ever be a worthy successor to the brilliant SimCity 4. A shame, because the franchise at it's heart is legendary amongst the PC community and can be so much better.
  73. Mar 5, 2013
    Origin, DRM that won't let you play this as a single player game and a complete lack of saving and reloading makes this POS rather unworthy of the name SimCity. FU, and F your online checks, EA.
  74. Jun 18, 2013
    I agree with the mean of the user score, even if I'm a professional reviewer and I've to give it a vote near 6 (55). I TRIED to play it at day one with the problems you witnessed. Then tried to play it after update 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0. No way, SimCity is fundamentally broken. A piece of s**t, in other words. Will Wright, please make ti properly (better than SC4!) via Kickstarter, we'll finance it.
  75. Mar 6, 2013
    If the game had an Offline Option after logging in like SC2 had then it wouldn't be that bad of a game. The basic problem this model has is that in the long term you only provision for 20% of your users being online at any one point in time. However, during launch that's not exactly the case. You can easily have 80% or more logging in all at the same time. Without an offline mode toIf the game had an Offline Option after logging in like SC2 had then it wouldn't be that bad of a game. The basic problem this model has is that in the long term you only provision for 20% of your users being online at any one point in time. However, during launch that's not exactly the case. You can easily have 80% or more logging in all at the same time. Without an offline mode to release the stress of everyone logging in you end up with people taking the day off to play and being justifiably upset that they can't even start-up the game. The tutorial could have and should have been an offline option. It would have made it so that people could have a taste of the game without hammering the servers all at once. This model also requires the servers to be up-to-date. If you were able to get on last night and then later this morning you may have found yourself faced with a forced tutorial button that you weren't last night. This is clearly due to the servers being on a different version of the software. The is the most likely cause of game corruptions this morning. A 60$ franchise title is not the time or place to test out new strategies. You should know this will work long before you launch. Instead we're faced with inexperienced admins who didn't know to keep the servers up to date for launch or to turn them Off if they were on the wrong version. This is stuff you only learn with experience, and Sim City was not the time or place to get that experience. This tells me that they're using an Ad-Hoc methodology, and we should expect more hiccups as long as they insist on an instant roll-out of updates and not have the server go though some burn time to make sure it works first. For Single Player the maps are a bit small. You can work around it a bit, and I can see how this encourages Multi-Player. However, I'm the type of person who plays MMOs Single Player so I personally get very little benefit from this model. The game play from prior versions is vastly improved. If you're willing to wait a Month for server load to die down you probably should wait. You'll be able to get a far superior experience if you do. Expand
  76. Mar 14, 2013
    I am assessing this game based on my 25 hours of experience. This game is fun up to a point but the mid to late game mechanics are horrendously broken. Traffic is a hideous monster to control and if you do by some miracle manage to organised it the game is incredibly easy. The only challenge is traffic management. It feels more and more like a glorified Facebook game without the socialI am assessing this game based on my 25 hours of experience. This game is fun up to a point but the mid to late game mechanics are horrendously broken. Traffic is a hideous monster to control and if you do by some miracle manage to organised it the game is incredibly easy. The only challenge is traffic management. It feels more and more like a glorified Facebook game without the social game requirements. Region trading is horrendously broken, commuters commute but when they do the traffic is so horrendous because you only have one entrance to your city. EVEN WITH mass transit maxed out including trains and boats, it's just ridiculous. The online requirements suck too, I've lost a 9 hour city due to the servers. Also the region play is rubbish due to the servers, I was playing a region with my girlfriend (hot seat style) and I waited TEN MINUTES for the servers to update our own singleplayer region so I could send power to my girlfriends city. This is just dumb, it isn't fun. tldr: it starts out very fun but after you get over the "creativity" aspect of creating a city it becomes very boring and very broken. Might be good in a few months when it's patched although many features are not as advertised (such as "full simulation" which is a flat out lie). The DRM just makes everything worse. Expand
  77. Mar 5, 2013
    As if the always-online DRM wasn't enough, there was a queue to play single player. This is a disgrace to the SimCity franchise. The city size is a joke, probably will be DLC to get more land to build on. Don't buy this trash.
  78. Mar 14, 2013
    This is not a game. It's a loading screen with server errors. Don't waste $60. I can't believe EA could do something so incredibly stupid. I hope this company rots.
  79. Mar 6, 2013
    I understand that EA wants to earn money but why add DRM for single player??? WHY??? There are just way too many problems with this BS. I go to my summer home and can't play this because I DON'T HAVE INTERNET IN MIDDLE OF NOWHERE!!! Can't you just come up with some anti pirating system that does not need internet connection?
  80. Mar 8, 2013
    You'll pay $60 or $80, the game will only function for about five minutes of every hour, and EA will refuse to refund your money. Do not buy. If functionality is this bad at launch, when EA is putting all their resources into supporting their draconian DRM, imagine how bad it will be in a year or two when EA no longer thinks it's a priority.
  81. Mar 6, 2013
    Honestly this is the biggest letdown for me personally that I've ever experienced with a game. Leading up to the game I had no problem with the idea of always on DRM. I convinced myself that this was going to be the time it was different; EA would get it right. Nope. Not at all. I could rant and rant about how utterly depressed this game has made me, but really it all comes down the factHonestly this is the biggest letdown for me personally that I've ever experienced with a game. Leading up to the game I had no problem with the idea of always on DRM. I convinced myself that this was going to be the time it was different; EA would get it right. Nope. Not at all. I could rant and rant about how utterly depressed this game has made me, but really it all comes down the fact that this is a reboot simply done wrong. The entire game feels cheap and incomplete. Giant Bomb nailed it in their review, this feels like a tacked on multiplayer. I don't play SimCity to play with friends, there's a thousand other games that do it better than this. I wanted this game because of the promise that single player would work, and it just doesn't. Specializing cities is clunky and poorly implemented. The process of sharing services and goods between cities is convoluted and nonsense. I have had nonstop issues getting online as well with the servers not saving two of my cities properly and completely erasing my progress after saying it uploaded them properly.

TL;DR
    This is a broken game for single player. Pick this up once it's $15.
  82. Mar 5, 2013
    Online Only DRM breaks this game. Data does not sync that often, and you can lose hours of work if EA's servers go down or your internet connection cuts out. Servers are also currently very unstable and it's sometimes not even possible to play this game EVEN IN SINGLEPLAYER because you can't connect to the server. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME
  83. Mar 26, 2013
    I for one do not condone pirating or anything but for this game it is a great idea. Why? The hackers have actually made an offline version of it! So after purchasing this game and unable to play it and finding out hackers have made an offline version of it I went and pirated the damn thing. Yeah that's right I bought a game and had to go pirate it... makes ****ing sense! There is nothingI for one do not condone pirating or anything but for this game it is a great idea. Why? The hackers have actually made an offline version of it! So after purchasing this game and unable to play it and finding out hackers have made an offline version of it I went and pirated the damn thing. Yeah that's right I bought a game and had to go pirate it... makes ****ing sense! There is nothing in this game that truly stands out. Honestly it feels like a repolish of the old Sim City games. The cities are smaller, the servers are broken, and the gameplay is unchanged. This game is not worth your time or money. I can't think of one good thing in this game that isn't already in the other Sim City games. This gets a 1 out of 10 because the graphics are improved. Otherwise without that it's a damn 0. Avoid this at all cost. If you must play it pirate it. In fact even if you do want to buy it I'd suggest you pirate it after to get the damn offline version so you can ****ing play it. Expand
  84. Mar 11, 2013
    It's sad to see a great game series like Sim City die at the hands of EA, the wonderful title was again used as an electric boogaloo to milk money off Sim city fans. Having started playing the Sim City series from 2000 it really breaks my heart to see a sequel being put together so halfheartedly. I have nothing to say.

Bye sim city
  85. May 29, 2013
    SimCity is a very boring game that requires many monotonous hours before you get any good at it. I personally didn't enjoy playing it at all and will probably never play it again. I'm lucky that I didn't have to waste $60 on this sad excuse for a game.
  86. Sep 30, 2014
    Compared to Sim City Societies it's a lot better and at least acts like a Sim City game, but compare it to Sim City 4 and it's just an executive meddled piece of software that doesn't deserve to be considered a Sim City game. While there are some very interesting concepts with in the game like the statistics system and the fact you can have curved roads, as well as some of the conceptsCompared to Sim City Societies it's a lot better and at least acts like a Sim City game, but compare it to Sim City 4 and it's just an executive meddled piece of software that doesn't deserve to be considered a Sim City game. While there are some very interesting concepts with in the game like the statistics system and the fact you can have curved roads, as well as some of the concepts within the Glass Box game engine itself, however I don't think it's at all perfect and I certainly don't think it works well when it should.
    Gone is the easy and free placement of buildings, parks, etc. gone is the simple zoning... and in it's place are a lot of empty spaces that you can't fill because everything is bound to the road system.
    There's also annoyances with the fact that so early on in a serious game you can lose money just by building roads and not have enough money to buy police, fire and medical services which your city will desperately need early on.

I go on about the littlest of details but that's what made the previous games successful, the little details that you can change and dictate yourself because it's your city, not EA's city.
    I really hope in the future somebody just buys out maxis and gives them free reigns over the work they used to produce. There is so much potential in the Sim City franchise and long times fans like me have been dreaming of a true sequel to Sim City 4... but it's sad that publishers these days particularly EA just care about appealing to a wider audience to get tons of money and doing it in the least amount of effort possible.
  87. Dec 3, 2013
    Better graphic doesn't mean better game,the game is downgrade of Simcity 4.The online DRM is the worst thing ever because the server always full.I prefer my Simcity 4 than this Simcity...
  88. Mar 16, 2013
    LISTEN, all these red reviews are for a reason, forget the server issues, read on! The game is riddled with bugs, gamebreaking bugs, and I don't even mean crashes or performance issues. Here is a reddit thread dedicated to listing some of these gamebreaking bugs. http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comments/1a0taq/compiled_list_of_suggestions_and_bug_reports_to/ The AI of your utilityLISTEN, all these red reviews are for a reason, forget the server issues, read on! The game is riddled with bugs, gamebreaking bugs, and I don't even mean crashes or performance issues. Here is a reddit thread dedicated to listing some of these gamebreaking bugs. http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comments/1a0taq/compiled_list_of_suggestions_and_bug_reports_to/ The AI of your utility workers are just broken, the pathfinding is atrocious. Just today I discovered a building that costs half a million dollars doesn't actually unlock things that it claims it unlocks in its description. A half a million is not change. These red reviews are acceptable based purely on gameplay bugs alone, but if you incorporate the legitimate server issues that STILL persist (3/16/2013) than this is a game that EA and Maxis should literally be ashamed of. Expand
  89. Mar 5, 2013
    What a waste of money. First off the cities are tiny (making you constantly have to re-start and build over from scratch), the AI it horrible, and the interface is lackluster at best. Than you have the perma-DRM which totally wrecks the game- if your connection hiccups you can't save so you have to restart from the last save when you had internet access. The game crashes frequently tooWhat a waste of money. First off the cities are tiny (making you constantly have to re-start and build over from scratch), the AI it horrible, and the interface is lackluster at best. Than you have the perma-DRM which totally wrecks the game- if your connection hiccups you can't save so you have to restart from the last save when you had internet access. The game crashes frequently too which makes this even more frustrating. I'm giving this a "1" just for the Sim City name outside of the little bit of nostalgia this brings back to Maxis' pre-EA classic there is nothing of value in this game. Expand
  90. Mar 8, 2013
    It 's the second day and still there are problems accessing the server. It 's amazing that a person who spends 60 euro for a game bought legally can not play for days. You should compensate all the fans who have spent money on not being able to play with their legal copy. FRAUD ...
    A server that show the word "available" get stuck for hours when authenticating with servers simcity. Shame!
  91. Apr 29, 2013
    I play Simcity since the first one. I can say: EA destroyed the series. The map is too little and you have very limited options to build a nice city, among many other problems.
  92. Mar 5, 2013
    While it might be a good game, the always online DRM for single player is an insult to the player base (another one of a long series of insults from EA to their customers), and it's absolutely unacceptable. It seems EA didn't learn anything from Ubisoft's DRM failure...
  93. Mar 9, 2013
    An insulting mockery of the SimCity series. Leave it up to EA to ruin yet another series. Always-Online DRM for a single player game? Laughing. Out. Loud.
  94. Mar 19, 2013
    Always on connection and server problems are bad but they'll be fixed. The worst thing about the game, and something that not many people have even acknowledged is the map size: it's stupidly small!! I had pretty much accomplished everything I wanted to within a few hours and filled every square inch of land. And no, it's called 'Simcity', not 'Simcities' so I don't want to have to make aAlways on connection and server problems are bad but they'll be fixed. The worst thing about the game, and something that not many people have even acknowledged is the map size: it's stupidly small!! I had pretty much accomplished everything I wanted to within a few hours and filled every square inch of land. And no, it's called 'Simcity', not 'Simcities' so I don't want to have to make a whole lot of small crappy cities and have them 'interconnected'. They just had to make a slightly updated and better version of Simcity 4 and they would of made millions of people happy, and millions of dollars. Why reboot what's not broken?? Expand
  95. Mar 9, 2013
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME You can't actually play it!

Remember Spore, Another massive Maxis release where anyone who bought the game couldn't play for 3 days while everyone pirated it could.

Well they learnt their lesson, this time round have have made sure NO ONE can play it.
  96. Mar 7, 2013
    I bought the game because, even though I got screwed by Diablo 3, I figured I'd give EA one chance.

So far, they have blown it--the game is unplayable. It gets two stars because the time I have been able to play it, it has been very fun. I will adjust my score if I can get one week without problems, but in the meantime, the low score will serve as a message to EA that they NEED to get their act together. This is unacceptable and bordering on fraud.
  97. Apr 9, 2013
    I unfortunately got suckered in and bought this game, the community is as good as dead. Still no leader boards or stats, a lot of promised game features still haven't been properly implemented, and server stability is a joke. I have had 3 cities i spent hours on just disappear for no reason. The 3 regions i play in, all my neighbors show ''Last online 3+ weeks ago'' Yeah.... That kind ofI unfortunately got suckered in and bought this game, the community is as good as dead. Still no leader boards or stats, a lot of promised game features still haven't been properly implemented, and server stability is a joke. I have had 3 cities i spent hours on just disappear for no reason. The 3 regions i play in, all my neighbors show ''Last online 3+ weeks ago'' Yeah.... That kind of speaks for itself.. THE GAME IS DEAD I tried to get a refund from Origin support with no luck. Buyer beware... You will punch yourself in the head repeatedly if you buy this Expand
  98. Mar 7, 2013
    I bought it, but then took it back. Walmart DID allow me to take it back. Thank god they did. First of all, lets list the pros:
    PROS:
    Graphics Thats all. Now cons: -Small cities. EACH CITY is smaller then the small city in Simcity 4. Not a joke. -Aggressive Anti Piracy. It seems like EA wants to shoot themselves in the foot. This is just terrible. It requires the server to be
    PROS:
    Graphics

Thats all.

Now cons:
    -Aggressive Anti Piracy. It seems like EA wants to shoot themselves in the foot. This is just terrible. It requires the server to be connected too, so 24/7 internet is a must. Look online, the massive flood of people is causing the game to not be playable due to server requirements. Lol fail. -Server is basically DOA. You cant connect at all. I wanted to enjoy it, i really did. But you know what? Im 100% done with EA, Maxis and all franchises from this company. They ruined Dead Space 3 for me, now Simcity. Whatever EA. I will be sure to spread this review all over. You wont get away with ruining Simcity.
  99. Mar 9, 2013
    The New Coke of computer gaming. Suck on this rating EA. Let this be a message to all the other game companies that try to overreach with DRM and online connection requirements for a single player game. Even without the DRM and server issues, who wants to play simCity with only small maps? Who the hell is making decisions over there? We thought we were getting SimCity and we getThe New Coke of computer gaming. Suck on this rating EA. Let this be a message to all the other game companies that try to overreach with DRM and online connection requirements for a single player game. Even without the DRM and server issues, who wants to play simCity with only small maps? Who the hell is making decisions over there? We thought we were getting SimCity and we get farmville for $60. Video gaming does not have to be a social activity. Especially a game like this. Expand
  100. Jun 21, 2013
    The game is kinda fun without all the issues with the connection and servers, etc. However, the space you have now is very limited and it is the biggest flaw in the gameplay as you can build a whole metropolis in less than a day. The mechanics are fun, but I cannot compare them to another simcity unfortunately. Also, stupid DLCs and crappy graphics (unless you have a REALLY powerful PC)The game is kinda fun without all the issues with the connection and servers, etc. However, the space you have now is very limited and it is the biggest flaw in the gameplay as you can build a whole metropolis in less than a day. The mechanics are fun, but I cannot compare them to another simcity unfortunately. Also, stupid DLCs and crappy graphics (unless you have a REALLY powerful PC) make it a complete letdown. It definitely is not worth ANY money, even for the hardcore fans as it will frustrate you more than it will amuse you. Expand

Given enough patches and DCLs, SimCity might eventually become the game that should have been on its release and justify the ambiguous choices that its developers made. [May 2013]
  2. May 9, 2013
    Hints at great things but is limited by small cities and promises it can't deliver on. [June 2013, p.80]
  3. May 9, 2013
    There's more problems with this game than I have words. Looks great though. [June 2013, p.80]