2.1

1. Mar 7, 2013
    Always online DRM on a single player game?... ha ha ha that's funny! wait?.. you're serious? YOU'RE FIRED! seriously.. I hope this fails so hard, no other developper will try that.
  2. Mar 5, 2013
    While it might be a good game, the always online DRM for single player is an insult to the player base (another one of a long series of insults from EA to their customers), and it's absolutely unacceptable. It seems EA didn't learn anything from Ubisoft's DRM failure...
  3. Mar 16, 2013
    SimCity 5 is a very good game that has been ham stringed by bad corporate decisions. Some changes have been made for better or worse but overall it is a very fun city builder. Getting connected wasn't much of an issue for me, never had to wait in a queue and losing connection doesn't kick you out instantly. My advice: if you are interested then wait a few more weeks for things to settle down, then get it and enjoy. Expand
  4. mIX
    Mar 7, 2013
    The game play is awesome and interface is much easier to use that past versions. This really is a great update to the Sim City series. Unfortunately the launch for this game has been horrible! I played the beta and it ran great. The real thing runs like crap right now... and EA should have known they'd need more servers... we paid enough for the game.
  5. Mar 8, 2013
    Thanks for gimping a fully purchased game. I think the game itself has potential and I would like to play it but always online DRM is unacceptable for a SINGLE player game.
  6. Mar 6, 2013
    Let me sum it up:
    -"Unable to create your city at this time. Please claim a city again." This issue haven't got fixed on beta. 3 days after release, and I STILL GET THIS.
    -Busy servers; either get in line, or go play on some other server (if you can) where your cities are NOT stored at
    -VERY SMALL city areas. Are you kidding me? Areas should be AT LEAST 4 TIMES BIGGER.
    -Always online
    DRM I'm mostly fine with this, but due to 1st and 2nd points I've made... the server load I mean... Enough said, I think? Expand
  7. Mar 5, 2013
    Origin, DRM that won't let you play this as a single player game and a complete lack of saving and reloading makes this POS rather unworthy of the name SimCity. FU, and F your online checks, EA.
  8. Mar 8, 2013
    Revising downward, because the game is still broken and at this point it's just a total joke. Even Polygon's review has been changed to 40 (from 95) on their website. EA has resorted to disabling all the social features that they claimed made always-online necessary in the first place, so now it's just a bald faced lie. It's DRM, period. That DRM is breaking the game. As it stands right now this product is not fit for sale. They also disabled cheetah speed, a feature of every other Simcity game. Pathetic. If you get past all the server problems, the city size is still absurdly small (no doubt because their servers can't handle larger ones), but who cares about that when the game flat out doesn't work reliably? Expand
  9. Mar 5, 2013
    I'm not a fan of the DRM or the map size, but the game is actually quite enjoyable. It really seems like most of the reviews are dishonest. The negative reviews are largely from players that didn't buy the game and the positive reviews are bloated as people feel the need to "balance" things out. After some time with the beta and live builds of the game, I can say it is quite enjoyable. The small map size makes things a bit more challenging because you don't have room for error when it comes to maximizing your population/income. The map size really puts emphasis on city specializations, and I'm okay with that. It's a bit different, but it ends up playing well. The game is simple enough for novice users and offers plenty of challenge for experienced users to work with. It's a shame they didn't offer a 1-hour demo build for everyone to try. Expand
  10. Mar 6, 2013
    EA must have thought they would be able to get away with a high priced game, day 1 DLC, micro-transations, online save games, and the ability to completely disable the game when its no longer profitable to run the DRM servers because SimCity is a popular and well respected game franchise. Well EA have probably just destroyed it and not just because of the reasons already mentioned, but because the game is dumbed down and boring and the city sizes are tiny. They should have called this game DRMTown rather than SimCity. Expand
  11. Mar 14, 2013
    I am going to ignore the server issues per this review. Great looking game. Great concepts. Specializations nice. The biggest issue with this game is the map size and inability to edit regions. Not possible to focus on nice looking City. Instead, game forces you to really manage how City functions. Older SimCity games allowed you to manage but ALSO focus on aesthetics. Not really sure why it forces you to play online because me and my buddy haven't been able to connect on a private region for over a week now. I feel like Maxis and EA dropped the ball on this. There was no point to have agents and individual people simulated in this game. Should have just built off of what made SimCity 4 great. I am going to hope this gets better a year from now (bigger maps, regional editing capabilities, off-line play), but i'm not going to hold my breath. I have been waiting ten years for this? guess i'll open SC4 back up. Expand
  12. Mar 17, 2013
    A huge disappointment. They ripped the heart out of a once beloved game series and created a shallow shell with not substance, simulation, challenge, depth or size. It looks pretty, but outside of that the game is no longer simcity
  13. Mar 19, 2013
    I rated it Unplayable or 0 because it keeps refusing to run this game,the server overloaded,bad performance,a dumb-downed Sim City 4,smaller place to build city and a freaking DRM just awful.This is ONLY SINGLE PLAYER GAME....Why need Online,i really lose my faith looking this series anymore...if you are a die-hard fans of Sim City,i suggest that you play the Sim City 4 instead.
  14. Mar 6, 2013
    Played the game for 3 hrs today. Thought waiting two days would make everything OK. Game crashes after 3 hrs of happily playing an online game with 6 other people... guess what... this is why online saves are terrible and you get metacritic stomped... because the entire save is gone and none of us have any of our 3-4 hrs of progress to continue with. The experience of all building our cities to help each other is simply lost in the cloud forever. Well that's a 5/10 or below in anyone's book. Fix this please. It is depressing that even 2 days post launch you still don't have the cloud side save system figured out if you're going to go live with this sort of DRM it better damn well at least save the game. Expand
  15. Mar 7, 2013
    One thing that I don't get by this publisher is how low they treat us customers that bought the game with our hard earn money, and slapped our face with middle finger by introducing always online DRM, micro transition ramshackle servers, etc. and those who pirate the game are likely to be having the most fun. I give you red.
  16. Mar 10, 2013
    Yeaaah there is absolutely no way I'm buying any product even associated with EA ever again. Any thank god, because that means I won't have to deal with F***ing Origin ever, the least of all my concerns with this horrible, broken, simplified game with an utter disaster of a launch and DRM scheme.
  17. Mar 5, 2013
    Very addicting game. Very enjoyable. I'm having a ton of fun. The simulation is extremely deep, like none I have ever seen and overall, the gameplay is fantastic!
  18. Mar 5, 2013
    Sorry, won't accept "Always On" connection. I'll return it and state it's broken and wait 10 years for it to come out again on GOG.com. There is no reason to accept that fact that you have to sit in queue before you can begin playing a game. Nonsense.
  19. Mar 5, 2013
    Despite promises of servers being ready I am unable to access what has in the past been a single player game due to always online DRM. I have no issues with the concept in theory from my side as I have an extremely reliable internet connection, but if the company itself cannot have and keep their servers up to allow me to access products I paid for they shouldn't do it.

EA knows
    exactly how many preorders and copies they expected to sell on day 1, there is no excuse to not have been prepared for the server loads they are experiencing. My complete inability to access my game has resulted in the given score. Expand
  20. Mar 17, 2013
    SimCity is finally *playable.* I'm not going to bother with the always-on DRM pros/cons/WTF EAs except to say I don't feel like it helps the game at all. (Most of you probably have your own opinions on this, and I'll bet 99% of you agree with me) So, the game itself... it is a more simplified game than SimCitys past. And when I say simplified, I mean really simplified in almost every way. For a newbie to simulation strategy games, then SimCity may be a decent start for you. The mechanics of the game are easy to learn. The sizes of your cities are tiny. Tiny to the point where if you know what you are doing, you will fill that entire space to maximum capacity within about 6 hours of game time. You can potentially have a city half covered in skyscrapers in that amount of time. That's with Llama speed too (the 2nd fastest game pace, and the fastest available as of writing). So, from there, you either keep growing in... or you make a new city. What does making a new city do? Well, it freezes your other city for starters (your city only progresses when YOU are inside of it), and you basically start a brand new city from complete scratch. Cities in the same region are connected in a sense, regions can share almost any asset possible, ranging from workers, to resources, to wealth. What happens in one city can also make impacts on the rest. Cities in the same region are very intertwined with each other. For example, I have a city in the same region as a friend. My friend is specializing in industry, however, I'm specializing in tourism. Sadly, I'm downwind of him, so all that air pollution he produces is making its way into my region, causing widespread illness. Luckily, hes willing to get those factories upgraded, but there is nothing I can do to force him. Are you seeing the pros and cons of this? On the topic of specializations, while we are mentioning it, they are helpful, but they don't feel significant. What I mean by that is, you could go ahead ignoring all city specializations and be fine. Maxis seemed to emphasize these, but they feel like an afterthought to me unless I am specifically looking for a coal mine or something. So, if you are a long time SimCity fan, this game is going to be a mixed bag. I'm sure many of you will enjoy some of the enhancements, but I'm also certain that that same many of you will loathe a lot more of them. My final score is 4/10. SimCity is a game that has a lot going for it, but the complexity has been diminished severely and relying on the SimCity servers is a pain (I guarantee the servers WILL be the thing you will hate most about SimCity). Otherwise, the game itself plays well when the servers are working. Expand
  21. Apr 24, 2013
    Patch 2.0 has come out, a patch so huge that they gave it a .0 release number. It resolves many issues with the game but unfortunately BREAKS many others. Unbelievably, they have resolved traffic issues from fire trucks and police cars piling up, but have broken taxis and school busses which now pile up. They broke pollution and now tiny cities with zero industry will see MASSIVE pollution rolling across their glass box reducing land value and making your 500 person city unhappy this even on regions with zero other cities. Maxis cannot seem to get it right. After their complete failure with Spore failing to deliver the game that they had presented at all the expos, I really expected them to nail this one, but alas this is a cataclysmic failure that will likely spell the demise of Will Wright's brainchild. Expand
  22. Jan 7, 2014
    I just wasted my money into EA's trash. So many bugs still in it, and there is no advantage of ONLINE play and just poor play style. The datas that I choosen are not connect directly into order. Packages for Huge building is not supplying as they just reach that construction site.
    More than that, CITIES ARE TOO SMALL
    it's not SIMCITY. it's TOWN, SIMTOWN.
  23. Mar 7, 2013
    I'd gladly rate the game properly, if I could play it. Paying 90$ for a game I can't play is absurd. Don't cause yourself unneeded headaches and just stay a way for a while. I'm sure they'll get this sorted out eventually and at that time I may come back and re-rate it, but this is a farce.
  24. Mar 9, 2013
    Every single PC game requiring permanent internet connection for single player modus will be boycotted indefinately. Too bad, since I'm a huge Simcity fan since its humble beginnings, but I will not spend a single coin on this game before a patch for this silly DRM is released.
  25. Mar 8, 2013
    Yet another epic game series completely ruined by EA. So broken, it's totally unplayable. How many hundreds of times have we allowed EA to pull the wool over our eyes now? I'm looking forward to the next command and conquer being a piece of garbage also.
  26. Mar 13, 2013
    The main point isn't even the DRM. It's the fact that the logic of the game in so many areas JUST DOESN'T WORK. Simoleons are lost, weird limits placed on buying energy or shipping waste or whatever, shops restocking with no need of industry (and no other players and at ZERO cost to your "mini city" People leaving work from home" A" and returning to a completely different house.. Home "B" and then repeating this randomly every day, pathfinding for traffic terrible. Waste not clearing, cash limits "sticking". The logic of the game is just plain BROKEN all over the place. The list could go on and on and on. For the first 90 minutes you are thinking
    "This is a good game. Looks good, if the servers OK I'm going to enjoy this"... Then WHAM the logic somewhere trips you up and often it's a game ending error. Nothing to do with servers or online logic issues these are pure and simple game logic errors and LOTS OF THEM. As for online multiplay. Sharing a zone is a nightmare without some sort of "mind control" over your fellow players.
    Everyone has to build at the same rate for this to work. and display co-ordination and co-operatiion over the long term consistent communication and really playing "one way" that would need to be pre decided before the game begins. It almost requires separate coms software and tracking to get this to work even then, if a player stops playing, wants to experiment, or comes across a problem and doesn't communicate quickly your own "city" (tiny village) is most likely on a downward spiral to collapse as a result. And this happens...every game.

Rely on someone to provide your power? Well make sure he or she is playing and expanding at about the same rate and at the same time as you or BAM it goes out of the window. Same with waste same with EVERYTHING. You need almost superhuman co-ordination to get a 15 player map to any decent level using multiplayer. It's darn hard with 3!

Then you realize why goods appear from no-where at zero cost. Maxis knew the game logic was bust and hid 1/3rd of the issue by making these phantom products for "C" districts to sell. But didn't apply the same "bodge" fixes to "I" or "R" (perhaps becasue that would have let the cat out of the bag too early as far as botched game mechanics go)

For me the idea of global market multiplayer seems quite atractive. I would go online for that for sure. It WOULD bring a new facet to the game. I would hope it was optional. But that is academic. It doesn't work and it's not just a "little bit" broke go deep enough into any facet of the game and it will unravel into a mess of faulty logic and counter intuitive reactions from your Sims. My two pence worth is Maxis "shoe horned" multiplayer functionality in sometime mid 2012 to justify always online DRM. And botched the logic..BADLY. I'd like to say probably at the request of EA but I have no idea whether that would be true or not.

The sad thing is all of this worked (and still does) with Sim City 4. A ten year old game that works almost flawlessly to this day and is what I'm playing on my other monitor as I type this.
  27. Mar 31, 2014
    I'll make it quick and simple.

It's a good game ruined by game-breaking bugs. EA has shown little interest in fixing these bugs. As a result you will end up needing to restart your city/region or accepting sacrifices due to bugs.

Be aware.
  28. Dai
    Mar 11, 2013
    In some ways, the fact that the game's launch was a shameful, shameful disaster is a blessing to it, as it's a distraction from the fact that this is the shallowest, most linear iteration of the game ever. Let's get the launch issues out of the way. The game, out for over a week now, is still normally unplayable, even at off-peak hours. Constant crashes and disconnections may get fixed eventually, but who knows? There's never been a game launch this horrible before.

Aside from the server issues, the game is a bug-riddled mess. The sound randomly cuts in and out, or worse, gets stuck playing the same sound effects over and over again. Strange graphical glitches put buildings on ugly pillars of earth. Fire trucks circle the block endlessly, passing right in front of buildings they're supposed to be extinguishing. I expect more even from shovelware.

But let's say they fix some of the game's bugs. It's still an inferior product to versions of the game shipped a decade or longer ago, with numerous features removed and replaced with at best busywork. Cities can only be a few blocks wide, severely limiting the available space for creatively making the city your own.

This would be a 3/10 product if it functioned. It doesn't. Broken products don't get any points.
  29. Mar 6, 2013
    >Small cities (smaller than the SNES version lol...)
    >Always online DRM
    >Forced to use Origin
    >DLCs to have access to bigger cities
    >MSRP above £40 in the UK (£45), which is a complete rip off as 98% of new game release, including AAA games such CoD are released for £39.99 or less.

EA/10
  30. Mar 6, 2013
    Hard to write a review for a game I can't play. Even on available servers every time I try to claim a city I get an error message.

I was able to play about an hour (which was mostly the tutorial) on launch day and since then I haven't been to resume my single player region and city (due to the server being full) and I haven't been able to start a new city.
  31. Mar 5, 2013
    did not buy, will not buy. Sim City is one of my all time favorite franchises, but I absolutely refuse to buy any game that has forced online DRM, especially for a single player game. Sorry EA has completely screwed up on this one!!
  32. Mar 9, 2013
    I haven't had any of the server problems like others were having so my experience has been awesome with the game so far. I feel like it's easier than Sim City 4 but still a great game and can be very addicting so I'm giving a solid 8/10..
  33. Mar 6, 2013
    I haven't played SimCity in a long time, so I was looking very forward to getting back into the franchise. So far, I've experienced far more disappointment than satisfaction. #1, because of the always online DRM, your ability to play the game at any given time rests squarely in the hands of EA. You're essentially leasing the game from them, you're not buying it, it's not yours. #2, it's has a SINGLE PLAYER GAME component that still has always online DRM. It's conceptually ridiculous when a single player game relies on a 3rd party in order to even work. #3, when I finally got in, I initially enjoyed playing the game. The aspects of city-building are pretty deep. The downside quickly became apparent; there's no room to build sprawling cities like with past titles.

..... #4, make no mistake, this is designed to be a multiplayer game where a collective ground of people each contributes to an overall goal for a region. I prefer to play the single player component, but in its current state, that isn't very good.
  34. Mar 5, 2013
    Always on single player... almost unbelievable! Why do companies insist on trying to tackle piracy with a nuclear bomb, when pirates get a better gaming experience in the end, and legitimate customers are left with a horrible one?

Another EA train wreck
  35. Mar 9, 2013
    Myself and a handful of BF3 clan mates have established our Region and are spending a lot of time working together in SimCity learning the ropes together and cursing the ocassional Godzilla or Zombie attack that tears apart what we worked so hard to build. You will find yourself lost in the city and it's management and next thing you know it'll be 3am in the morning and you have hardly got up out of your gaming PC chair all night. Graphics are excellent, sound is perfect and alive. There's no plop it down and forget it. You must plan for adding jail cells and dispatch centers to your police station. You must watch where you plan your water pumping station based on water tables. And dont' get me started on healthcare. My sims are always ill and need more patient wings to my hospitals. I think I have a sewage/trash/nuclear radiation problem I need to go take care of right now. Still after only 2 sessions my city has nearly 200k fairly happy Sims with a 79% approval rating. Get this game, you won't regret it if you are a modern gaming with realistic expectations of what gaming is today. It's not a solo experience, at least not for me. And I woudn't want it to be. I don't care what DRM is or means, doesn't seem to be affecting my enjoyment, whatever it is. And BTW, no technical issues here on my end. Expand
  36. Mar 5, 2013
    Aside from issues such as origin, requiring a constant internet connection (I already have this wonderful device to save my games it's called a hard drive), and DRM which has been proven to promote piracy, the game is simply crap. Regions cannot be edited, the city sizes are tiny and all the finger details which made simcity great are gone. This is simply a dumbed down version of simcity 4 that looks nice. Check the ratings, the prime demographic has spoken, but as usual EA is too stupid to listen to their customer base. Ignore the hired spokesmen, which includes the media, this game is crap. Expand
  37. Mar 6, 2013
    SimCity is a buggy mess. First, the UI stopped responding due to their overloaded servers. I couldn't even close the game, since it didn't want to close until it synchronized with the server. A server which was refusing connections. I Alt-F4'd out of it and tried to get back in the game. I had to spam the login, clicking it over and over, pressing the OK button saying the servers were busy over and over. I got in after about twenty minutes until I got in. Once I got it, it made me play through the tutorial again. Except this time, the dialogue boxes wouldn't load, since the servers were over capacity. I couldn't complete the tutorial. So I walked away from my computer for a while.

I tried logging in again, and this time the game had a queue. Except it wasn't a queue that guaranteed access to the game after a specified wait. It was simply a retry button on a TWENTY MINUTE timer. For nearly half an hour I spammed the server selection screen, clicking US East, (Error: Busy), Server, US West (Error: Busy), Server, US East, (Error: Busy), Server, US West (Error: Busy), Server, US East, etc. I finally got in. I got into my city and went to region view. I worked on a new city in my region for another half hour and then the screen went black and SimCity closed. After a while I was able to reconnect. ALL MY WORK WAS GONE. I started a new city in the same area and IT HAPPENED AGAIN! It erased my progress.

EA, this is horrible. If you don't have the server capacity to handle the launch of your always-on DRM scheme, you can't implement an always-on DRM scheme. I will never pre-order another EA title with always-on DRM.

The fact that EA has the nevrve to say this disaster of a launch has only affected a smaller number of players is like rubbing salt in the wound. They're completely full of crap. Their lie only validates my opinion that EA has contempt for their customers.
  38. Mar 14, 2013
    I'll start by saying I've had no online DRM issues with the game, although I've had to switch servers a couple of times since first playing. I've played the game now for about 30 hours, yet I seem to have become bored with it already. Realisticaly, due to the limits on city size, there is really only a couple of ways to build a successful city and the idea of starting a new one makes me want to quit and do something else..................................... My biggest gripe is the illusion of multiplayer or it's supposed social interface. The chat box never works, I think in the whole 30 hours i've seen one person say "hello" and that's it. I've tried to type replies but these never show up anywhere. Citylog is a waste of time, zones are always full, as they are when you try to search for a game......................................Graphically it's quite nice, but I get a constant, strange flickering anomalies all the time (i have a 7950 card latest drivers etc etc). This is the only game where this occurs and it's quite annoying. I was expecting more details sims though as their appearance is like something from a game 10 years ago......................overall I give the game a 5. Expand
  39. Mar 11, 2013
    This is a mess form Maxis and Electronic Arts!! If they would have wanted it worst, they wouldn't have been capable to do so!! Sadly, the DRM and the poor servrs decisions have mede this an unpleable game. It has been almost a week since release, and I haven't even been able to launch (and update) the game due to a lack of servers availability. The game itselt may be awesome, but it's broken, and right now, as it is... It's just a rip off from Electronic Arts!! It's really so sad to talk bad abouta game for this issues instead of the fun factor an dit's gameplay... EA... you should be ashamed and give the money back!! I seriously recomend!! DO NOT BUY THIS GAME (at least, not for now)... If you do (like I did), you'll be throwing your money to Electronic Arts for nothing in return!! Expand
  40. Mar 15, 2013
    Was looking forward to this game. Haven't been able to play for more than 30 minutes yet because of failing servers. Not being able to play 0/10....
  41. Mar 8, 2013
    The game is simply unplayable and is a complete waste of money. Even if you can log in, your city will often not save to the servers, all of the regional interaction between cities. In fact, everything done on the server end seems to be broken by bugs or lag. You will lost hours of gametime, will be unable to play with your friends, unable to build anything of reasonable size that is functioning. A complete crash and burn in regards to trusting some server to be reliable.

Do not buy.

The War Z was better about giving out refunds.
  42. Mar 7, 2013
    Origin required/ online always on required turd. I'm a huge fan of sim city, this however, is a mess of a release. Even if the origin virus/online requirement was dropped, the game would still have minuscule city sizes. This restricts from building a good sized metropolis, or megapolis and really limits the potential awesomeness of a city. Stick with Sim City 3000 or 2000 or the original SNES classic. Expand
  43. Mar 7, 2013
    How on earth can they not learn from the debacle that is Diablo 3? And for a game that requires thousands of people to be online at one time, it is almost criminal for them not to ramp up their server from day one.
  44. Mar 9, 2013
    Got this game after reading the early praise and then much of the anger after the technical issues. Perhaps as I work in application development I have a bit more patience, and I have no wrath towards the EA team. I know they are going to iron out the technical issues and once they do, what's there is actually pretty cool. I have not encountered any issues as yet. So I can only speak to the game experience. What we have here is a great simulation engine, it's like having a digital ant-farm that you cultivate and create again. It is an MMO of sorts and for a myriad of reasons, EA and Maxis have forced a multiplayer experience. I can see why many customers are asking for an offline, large scale sandbox equivalent that is after all what SimCity has always been. I would like this too, but that is not what I bought the game for.

The game feels a bit more alive knowing that there are other cities growing beside you. The interaction is limited and just enough that you can play in your sandbox without someone coming over and destroying your creation.

As a game, it's fairly easy to set up a functional town. Specializing and leveling up is more of a fun chore. Its enjoyable to watch the impressive details. The first time I saw criminals and police have a gun fight with funky music thrown in I knew the devs had more details in store. Also, the game has an addictive and casual nature to it. I've been so immersed in first-person shooters (Red Orchestra 2, Counter Strike Global Offensive, BF3) that I thought this would be a nice break more relaxing and less demanding. It's perfect in that regard.

Expect to EA monetize it to bits. Which will be okay providing they provide quality content. Buy this game if the premise, detail, lively town-sized maps, persistent online regions, always on connection has appeal or if you can live with some of the DRM downsides. Do not buy this game if you want massive SimCity sprawls, reliable offline play, terraforming, and user mods. Oh and performance is solid too, most computer should run this well providing they have dedicated graphics card.

For those that have shelled out your dough, had a rotten first week, give this a chance. If they get it running consustently (which by latest accounts is where it looks like thus isheading), compensate for the week of lost gaming, and continue to update and tweak then its worth reconsideration.
  45. Mar 6, 2013
    Here is a spoiler... No one can play the game. Wow what a useless piece of crap. This has to be the worst release of all time. Working on day 2 of not being able to play the game. Hoping that at some point it might get there. The response from EA/Origin is terrible. Yeah your cutesy tweets aimed at "Mayors" are just even more infuriating. How about they come out with something that actually resembles an apology and an offer to make things right for the people who have been completely screwed over by EA/Origin's inability to provide the service that many people have paid good money for. Or just turn the damn always online DRM off already. You people suck. Expand
  46. Mar 5, 2013
    The terrible treatment of legitimate paying customers makes the new Sim City impossible to recommend. Lacking features from the original games show that quality of service does not equal success of the game. EA is certainly not going to care about these issues, DRM or crappy DLC packs of shaved content from the original release if they sell a lot of copies, which is a sad reality with many modern AAA titles. Expand
  47. Mar 7, 2013
    I purchased this game yesterday; have yet to be able to play it (can't get on a server). I'm going with a 1 vs a zero because the load screen is really cool to look at. More importantly, there are some nice online video so you can just watch others play vs wasting your day or nights building your own city. I highly, I repeat, highly recommend you purchase this game if you DON'T want to play it. Hope this has been helpful! Expand
  48. Mar 9, 2013
    Single player game and always drm connection required. Electronic Arts don't think in players without on line connection. If they want fight piracy, don't legal players with this I think this is a real good game but i can play. I hope EA is thinking about of this and go back to this stupid situation.
  49. Mar 6, 2013
    I understood that this game had annoying DRM when I bought it. What I didn't realize is that it would make the game unplayable. Literally. It's not that it's bad (or could be, I don't know), I couldn't actually play the game. I couldn't connect to the server, couldn't load a city, or the controls wouldn't work once I did load a city. There was no playing to be had. Just an hour and a half of time wasted installing and trying to play this junk. These guys owe me a refund. Expand
  50. Mar 28, 2013
    Forced Origin always online cant mod it. Too many DRM requirnments. This game is a prime example of what happens when the pub/dev think it's more important than those who buy it.
  51. Jun 16, 2014
    I think this game is great. I've owned it for a few days now, and for those few days I have not stopped playing. I haven't had this much fun with a city builder in a long time.

I understand some of the hatred here. Firstly, the maps are pretty small. This can seem like an annoyance at first, but it really makes you think a lot more about how you layout everything. Megatowers also let
    you build your city up, instead of out, so you can still have high populations, without taking up so much surface area.

It it's current state, the game has no bugs, no server problems, and the option of offline play. So you can flush 99% of the complaints here down the drain.

EA/Maxis took a pretty big risk changing the game as much as they did, but I appreicate that. Most sequels these days just regurgitate the same game and put a 60$ tag on it. The new presentation and UI is very nice, and I think it's awesome they added trading, and commodity resources. It really adds a new appeal to the classic SimCity theme.

Not to mention multiplayer! Playing with friends is a lot of fun, and it's cool coordinating city roles with your buddies online, and filling in for each other's gaps.

Picked it up with the expansion on sale. Great buy.
  52. Mar 11, 2013
    Ok now that the servers are back up and running alright, here is my proper review. my rating was a 3/10 because of all the crap this game threw at us at its launch. to be honest this game had one of the worst launches of any game, in history. i don't think this game will ever truly recover from it, this 1.5 rating is way too low for a game like this. and many people will not change their reviews because they are too fed up with the DRM. which is totally understandable. but the game is really fun. you can create entire trade networks and intricate cities. this increases the depth from the previous simcity games. managing the city is very fun. managing buildings is an amazing feature. although map sizes restrict you from building more advanced structures later on that is really my only complaint. this game has tons of potential and will have DLC i assure you (mostly because EA is a jerk) good game. sucks the EA gave it a bad rep. this DRM is a horrible thing for the gaming community but that doesn't mean simcity is a bad game Expand
  53. Mar 7, 2013
    There isn't much left to be said after the many fair points presented by the other users. Next time do it right, because this isn't the way to go.
  54. Mar 22, 2013
    When drm and server problems fade, the real weakness of the game shines through. Region lag is a continuing issue, and individual plots are way too small to accommodate any reasonably sized city. The AI is a joke, with traffic patterns driving you crazy. It'll take them a year or so to release the game they promised; if they don't give it to you for free, don't bother.
  55. Mar 9, 2013
    I hate EA since a while back when they up Madden past like 02 or 05 or something, and also did the license thing. At that time, I thought that was really messed up because I thought they are forcing you to buy their games (always more of a 2K guy( then they up battlefield 3 for PC (always online DRM also). Since then my hatred has turned into a passionate hatred. I HATE EA. I did not buy this game, (was not even interested because it's EA anyway and once I seen the artwork I knew it was just going to be The Sims, City) But since I hate them so much. I'm taking the time to hop on the bandwagon and add fuel to the fire. YOU SIM CITY AND EA! MUAHAHAHHA ENJOY YOUR 0 Expand
  56. Mar 15, 2013
    I have managed to play for around 20 hours. On THREE occasions, after spending HOURS AND HOURS building up my city the game said 'Could not process City, please quit' then when it tried to recover the city it just rolled it back to a patch of grass! THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ALL THREE OF MY CITIES. WHAT IS THE POINT! IN PLAYING A GAME THAT DELETES EVERYTHING YOU DO AND DOES NOT LET YOU SAVE ANYTHING TO OUR HARD DRIVE? ARE YOU INSANE? WASTE OF MONEY AND TIME. Expand
  57. Apr 18, 2013
    This game is garbage. I don't even want to talk about how the game requires an internet connection to start. Today it's the third time i start a city just to see it disappear after some errors" or disconnections.
    Waste of money and time.
  58. Mar 6, 2013
    Yes the DRM really sux but that is about the only bad thing I have to say about this game. Games that always have to be connected to the internet is just going to be a reality moving forward so get used to it. There is a tone of complexity in this game. If you are a micromanagement glutton, this is the game for you.
  59. Mar 5, 2013
    Will update when game is playable. Game is not playable. Game has not been playable for over 6 hours. Game queue is not a queue, it's a time waster. Game is worthless. Single most pointless launch ever. Capacity is a joke.
  60. Mar 5, 2013
    The game is great.

The servers are however constantly down, rendering the game completely unplayable. Until that issue is rectified, then this is the best I can do. Had they actually taken the time to properly speculate on how much server space they would actually need, this game would be getting an 8 from me right now.
  61. Mar 5, 2013
    I have completed everything that the game allows. Meaning I installed it and started it up. I would give it a 0 but the menu looks nice. There is no way to actually play the game so it is broken and should be avoided at all costs. I want to play BY MY SELF but it will not allow me to do so. Therefore it is broken and not worth buying.
  62. Mar 7, 2013
    If a tree falls in the forest but nobody's there to hear it, does it make a sound? Same thing with Sim City. Sim City could be the greatest game ever made, but if you can't even play it, why bother?
  63. Mar 8, 2013
    Ok, I understand having to have an internet connection to play the game. But if the servers are junk or full and you can't even play the damn game that's just stupid! EA dropped the ball on this one! I don't care who but since I can't even enjoy a single player game. Because the servers are unavailable or down or full. This game is going back and I'll save some money and get Cities XL. I don't care who eats the cash but its not going to be me! Expand
  64. Mar 6, 2013
    Always online DRM, can't save game when I want, smaller cities, day 0 DLC. Don't bother to get this game. And the best: you can't play single player because of full servers...
  65. Mar 6, 2013
    Overall the game could be great, when playable. Finding a server at night is impossible, forcing you to join another server, which in turn you end up doing the tutorial repeatedly. Then you might get some game progress to be greeted with the game crashing and not being able to rejoin, or the map gets corrupted. If it were non reliant on being connected to an overseas server, it might be a good game. the beta was a blast, but much less people on at that times as well. Graphics are good, you can turn them all the way up on a good system and plays well on lower system under the lower settings. Expand
  66. Mar 5, 2013
    This is an $80 facebook game. This origin (spyware) dumbed down piece of garbage, not only costs $80 for the full game (any lesser version witholds ingame content), but comes intact with intrusive, always-online DRM. Many people, even reviewers, were unable to access their games or load old saves because this. As a consumer, we should have a zero-tolerance for this sort of practice and boycott any game which is essentially an $80 rental. As to the content of the game, the city plots are abysmal in size, deals with neighboring cities is done automatically, connections with other cities (highways and rails) is done automatically, and much content like subway stations have been cut. The overall nature of the game is so limited that it when taken into context with it's social gaming aspects, you have to conclude that would be better fit for a facebook or iphone game. Expand
  67. Mar 6, 2013
    Server reached maximum capacity and so I was placed in a queue and was not allowed to play a single player game because it forces me to constantly be online.
  68. Mar 11, 2013
    It takes Ubisoft to learn that it just not worth having persistently connected games and deal with the potential customer backlash afterward. I've since wary of buying anything coming out of Ubisoft. I will stay out of EA too if this persist and vote with my money, until they learn...
  69. Mar 13, 2013
    We were promised a great revival of the franchise. Instead we got a really casual boring game that should be rather called "sim-really-small-town". And yet it costs 80$ has a huuuuuuuuge set of bugs and has the worst kind of DRM ever. To all fans of SimCity3000 and SimCity4 I'd recommend buying CitiesXL and avoiding SimCity 5.
  70. Sep 24, 2013
    Always online DRM.
    EA lying to their customers about need to be online.
    Extremely expensive DLCs.
    City sizes the size of a small football field.

STAY FAR FAR AWAY FROM THIS ONE!
  71. Mar 8, 2013
    I actually bought the Digital Deluxe version on Origin for over £60... what I fool I now feel.

I haven't been able to play a single minute yet due to EA's completely inadequate server infrastructure, and the requirement to be online to even play the game single player. An absolute disgrace.

As they have sold me a product that is clearly defective, do I not have rights to demand a
    refund? So far they are refusing, and claim they will ban my account preventing me from playing every other game I ever bought for them if I get my credit card company to reverse the charge. Do they have a right to do that? Expand
  72. Jul 9, 2013
    This game is a awesome game but I wish they would of planed to put that dlc content in the game and have all the bugs worked out and bigger map sizes and they sent out a survey in an email about the changes that should come soon the other reason why I don't like this game is the always online thing that's not the best thing to do but Maxis and EA made a good game
  73. Mar 13, 2013
    Just got the game after most of the original problems seem to be fixed, a few disconnections from the main servers a few times but eventually restored. The worst thing I found is the big price they are charging yet it didn't take me long to complete most of it. The zone you get is simply too small and you have to cram so much into one square it's ridiculous. Fun to play but does not last long and by far not worth the price tag that comes with it. Expand
  74. Mar 8, 2013
    I can forgive all the internet connections and requirements. But they left out the most important feature of a SimCity game, the ability to use save states. Sandbox games need that so you can play around, and it's not there.
  75. Apr 5, 2013
    Terrible game, full of game breaking bugs, not worth paying for this game. Yet another game that EA has rushed to release to make a quick buck. They are poised to win America's Worst Company yet again as voted on Consumerist and for good reason.
  76. Mar 9, 2013
    I had the chance to spend 23hrs in simcty 5, unfortunately both cities I worked on are now corrupted and the suggested rollback has left them inaccessible...

The game play is a lot of fun and the game does guide quite a bit on how to take on the problematic issues within your city.

The GUI and over aesthetics are already well craft, more so the graphs and animation for water, sewage
    and electricity. I do think a little more effort and assets could of been given to variety of buildings and detail. However that's just me.

One of the things lacking, which is noticed within an hour of the game, is the how small the regions are and the dismissal of macro management which has been removed. (when compared to Simcity 4 For me these are two things that had been come back to simcity 4 to this day.

However, with the server issues still on-going, looks like I may have to play Simcity 4 just a bit longer. With the server issues in mind, which are game affecting, I can't give it a full rating sadly. It also begs the questions, how long with Simcity 5 last until EA shuts down the server.
  77. Mar 7, 2013
    It is sad, but if I would spend my 80eur on empty DVD box from Tesco, I would received more content :-/
    Simcity so far took my money, time (googling for status updates) and provided no content at all.
  78. Mar 5, 2013
    REVIEW SERVER BUST

Your server is still experiencing very high volume. You are now in a queue. The "read review" button will become active once space is available. To read review immediately, select another server.

Next attempt to read: 29:15.
  79. Mar 7, 2013
    I have been able to play all of a couple token hours because of server issues. Problems-

1. Can't play, servers are down 90% of the time I want to play.

2. Major issues with vehicles. I had fire department helicopters to put out fires. All three of them took off at the same time and got stuck in mid air. I had to fix this by demolishing my fire department and re-building. Idiotic.
    Broken.

3. Saves are not local. So, I play my city, the servers freak out. All progress after their save file is gone. Backups seem to take place erratically. I have lost as little as minutes of progress, to about an hour.

4. Frustrated with losing progress on my main city, I started a new city. I was 15 minutes in before the game crashed and I was booted to desktop. When I logged back in my new city was gone. Nothing. The servers hadn't made a save of it.
  80. Mar 12, 2013
    I had to play in the "Antartic" server, coz this is the only up to play. After three hours playing, the server went down and now im unable to play since the last 5 hours. What a joke this DRM.
  81. Mar 5, 2013
    A great game marred by EA's always-online requirement and cloud saves.
    1) Autosaving of cities are unclear you do not know when your creations are saved. Crashing to desktop is almost a death sentence as your cities literally disappear or got rolled back to empty wilderness when you log back on. 2) Unable to join servers and therefore unable to play a product you payed for unacceptable
    especially when no ETA on fixes are given. 3) If you idle in the join game selection lobby for abit (less than 1hr), after a while you cannot join/load.create any game you get a failed loading message. It's as if they disconnected you from their servers without telling you. Other minor bugs are present but do not impact the game too much. Except traffic pathing AI perhaps.

Conclusion: Even if you can tolerate the online DRM, the potential loss of your friends' creations upon disconnect/crash is enough to make you give up after 2-3 fresh retries. Don't buy this game until they work out this major problem (on saving cities and crash/disconnect recovery)
  82. Aug 26, 2013
    Most of the user review scores are from the time of release. The game has been through 7 major patch updates since then and is a lot more fun.

One has to remember that this was a reboot of the franchise and not a normal iteration or sequel. The old games were statistically based and what you saw on screen was just a representation of what might be happening in the city (hence why cars
    faded in and out around corners).

This new game simulates using an agent based system. Now every home has sims that need work, need education, happiness, money, etc... For example, Andy will leave home in the morning and must get to work before 9am. So long as he makes it, when he leaves at the end of the day he will bring home money. That money will be spent in shops which will make him happy. And so on, and so on. That my friends, is revolutionary! You can really start to appreciate how difficult this must have been for them to create.

I'm not saying this is an excuse to release a buggy, half-finished game, but those who wanted SimCity 4 with updated graphics need to look elsewhere. This is not what the game was intending to be.

To add to that city builders are difficult! Look at Cities XL, and before that, SC4. Both were, and still are really buggy! Not just that, but they bring even the best computers to their knees. There is just so much to calculate (even with a statistically based model)!

I find this game fun, and if you go in with an open mind and play the game as was intended it can be a LOT of fun! I recommend it highly. I gave it 7 due to launch issues, if the game released in it's current state it would have got an 8 perhaps in another 6 months it will be a 9.
  83. Mar 7, 2013
    SimCity is an impressive concept for a game one that deserved to become a classic kludged into a horrifically anti-consumer, modular, DRM-crippled framework. The Glassbox engine is a marvel, allowing a deeper and more meaningful simulation than ever before, and it deserved to marry up with better business practices than EA's. One can trust this is one the "base game" in a series, with many expansions to come. There seems to be little to no role for the modding community in SimCity, although that remains to be seen, due to the online-only DRM and the multiplayer component. What is gone in SimCity is the sense of game that might ever become a long-lived classic such as SimCity 2000 or SimCity 4. SimCity is a great game that many players will enjoy, but its faults in terms of the way it is framed tend outweigh the great craftsmanship of the game itself. Server trouble at launch will no doubt dissipate in the coming weeks, though that's hardly an excuse for the debacle surrounding this game's launch. Like Spore, another rather tragic release from Maxis that will sell, but will also stand testament to a much better game prevented from coming into fruition by poor design and marketing choices. Expand
  84. PL3
    Mar 5, 2013
    critic review is just bullsh*t. DO NOT SPEND 60$ on this. The city is just TOO DAMN SMALL. Server always busy. Feel exaclty like the diablo syndrom. ANd the game just tell you what to do. you do it and that sit. We need more police car!! do it. done. We need more classroom!! do it. done. over and over again.
  85. Mar 8, 2013
    Time for me to pile on also. I've lost several hours of gameplay due to server issues. I know it's ultimately my fault for expecting more... but the nostalgia of playing the original made me do it. The DRM is the problem for me.
  86. Mar 7, 2013
    Waited an hour and a half to get into the game. Played for a good 20 minutes until the game crashed. Guess what? I had to wait even longer to get back into the game.

Pros: My computer didn't come to life and kill me.
    Cons: My computer didn't come to life and put me out of my misery while waiting.
  87. Mar 7, 2013
    The premise has been lost with this game, with a name like Sim City you want to create just that. A vibrant metropolis of large scale. Unfortunately this has been lost forever now it seems. Maps are smaller then ever and while it has many great features these are virtually the same as the four games before it. The innovation that was promised really isn't there. The game forces you more so then ever to link your city to neighbors which I felt was the fundamental flaw in Sim City 4. Everything under one roof so to speak now doesn't work. The choice isn't even there and has been simply removed. The are bugs and I had to hard restart the game on two occasions due to crashes. These didn't seem linked either so two hard restart bugs on launch isn't good at all. The biggest issue so far is the constant connecting to server issues associated with the needlessly over the top DRM. This function shouldn't make a game non-playable but it does. It kind of shocking that EA are so over-protective now that they will willingly hamper a players experience. I hope this is quickly patched. If so my rating will be higher, but in its current state the game is verging on unplayable. Expand
  88. Mar 7, 2013
    This was released in Australia a few days ago and I haven't been able to play for more than about 90 minutes despite origin telling me I've played for over 5 hours!!!! WTH... I waiting in que isn't really what I'm after here. I can't believe I paid $99 for this game off origin. Really really disappointed. I like the idea of multiplayer, I can see how it might add a bit to the experience. MASSIVE BUT THOUGH, I just want to build a city by myself, and single player is definitely where people will spend the bulk of their time as the game develops.... So why must we have to accept this online DRM. Further compounded by the fact that we will be at the whim of EA servers which is just a horrible thing to look forward to. Really disappointed so far. I would get a refund if I could, cause this really isn't worth the grief. WHY HYPE THE HELL OUT OF SOMETHING IF YOU CANT LET PEOPLE PLAY THEIR SINGLE PLAYER GAME THEY PLAYED FOR................... Expand
  89. Mar 7, 2013
    To be honest, the game itself is nice but Electronic Arts is like a baby that is not interessted in learning from its misstakes. I give this game to lowest scor to continue drop the rating!
  90. Apr 9, 2013
    MAP SIZE WTF!!!???

The "always online" feature is painfull, but not as painfull as the map sizes. Gameplay is now extremely limited. What happened to sprawling cities where you build and manage big areas and you get to chose exactly where in this big area housing, industry, skyscrapers etc. goes?? Now you are confined to a bunch of small towns and freedom to design your dream city is
    out the window! Expand
  91. Sep 1, 2014
    Bad EA, I was part of the beta. I was going to buy this game. I specifically came here to be a statistic for a negative review. Could not connect. Sims were a mess. Traffic was broken. The list goes on and on. And even though for the most part they fixed it now, that does not justify releasing a game like that. Good luck selling games with a business method like that, last game I purchased from you was Battlefield 3, and probably will be my last EA game ever. Expand
  92. Mar 11, 2013
    incredibly addicting and well made city simulator. its not the same old simcity you used to play a lot has changed but in my eyes for the better. the core game-play here is so good and so addictive once you start its hard to put down. the multiplayer aspects of region play are also very satisfying when they work!

there is a very fun and challenging game to be found trying to manage
    your city as it grows from a cozy little town into a full on metropolis. Expand
  93. Mar 7, 2013
    The game's been out for 2 days. In the 6 hours I've been trying, I haven't even been able to get into the tutorial level because of server issues.

Poor form, EA.
  94. Mar 7, 2013
    I give up and will be returning my copy, if I purchase a game I want to be able to play it, why the hell does a single player game demand always on internet and rely on an external service to even start?!!? I will never ever buy anything from Maxis or EA again
  95. Mar 5, 2013
    It's Diablo 3 all over again, but this is worse, because SimCity always was a single player game and now it doesn't even have an option to play it offline. Also, the cities are extremely small, there is no terraforming, can't load a previous save (no experimentation), there is useless and unrealistic empty space between cities and lack of transportation options (no subways!). I hate you EA for ruining one of my favorite franchises. Expand
  96. Mar 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I pre-ordered and deliberately waited a week before reviewing to give EA a chance to bounce back from their self-inflicted launch debaucle. After that, my rating is still "meh". Though I give credit to their server team for standing up so many servers so quickly and a furrow of my brow to whatever management bean-counter prevented them from doing so prior to the launch. As of writing, Origin says I have 121 hours played, but some of that is just watching my my city burn and playing until 5 am (as that's when you can actually get on the servers)

Some of the positives: When they said they'd be tracking every sim, I feared this would turn out more like the Sims, which was only fun when you mercilessly took away the only pool ladders. However, being able to click on any car travelling on the map and see where it's going, whether it has spending money, and follow it is actually pretty neat.

Region play. It was in Sim City 4 to some extent, but it's cool to have all the cities work together to build great works. And with it, Multiplayer is a great idea. Sometimes I like a little teamwork, or to flood my neighbouring city with murderers and arsonists.

Finite resources. Go ahead put all your eggs into the oil mining business and plop some high tax entitlements like education and fire safety for a better society. What's the worst that could happen? Tip: Diversify and plan for renewable income before the well runs dry

Some of the negatives:

DRM always on requirement. When I'm not sabotaging my neighbors, sometimes I like to play with myself and I want to build my Dystopian region without the condescending glares of my neighbors. But even as I write this a week after launch, I cannot log into Sim City to do so. One tip, if you get logged in, stay logged in. While you're playing you'll see "server disconnected" messages happen all the time, but then they'll reconnect and presumably everything will be peachy. If you disconnect, however, it's much harder to get connected and a region loaded.

Difficulty. It's not. Pretty much any city (except one I'm playing now which it about 50% water) can be turned into a cash cow pretty easily. If your planning right, the only thing that throws you a curve is the occasional disaster. I like the idea of the global market, but as near as I can tell, there are hard lines at the minimum prices for buying and selling that pretty much guarantee you can make a ton of profit buying (then refining, smelting, producing) and reselling. I guess it'd be nice if there were bad investments. The only way to screw that up is misjudging your input or output rate, or bottlenecking your supply line.

City Size. You run out of room fast. Because it's so easy to make money, you end up bulging at the borders in no time and your city become.

Region play. The idea of region play is great. The implementation of region play is still a little off. Nothing is more frustrating than overloading a city with sweet nuke plants and the other cities in the region not recognizing that there is power available to buy. Or when collaborating on a great work, some cities will recognize that all of a specific resource (metal, allow, oil) has been provided, while others do not or only see that half has been provided.

Multiple servers. Spreading out the load was a great idea to increase server availability. The downside is that the regions aren't shared between servers. So, if you've spent countless hours building a perfect replica of Trenton, New Jersey and that server is unavailable, EA supports answer is try a different server (where your region does not exist and you get to start all over). The result of this is a bunch of cities in the public regions that don't look like people are playing them. So it ends up as a Multiplayer environment where you're the only one on.

Summary: After 10 years, they fell on their face at the starting line, but were able to get an Ok game out. They've hinted at some changes (bigger cities is the last one I heard), but I suspect a lot of these enhancements will cost you real-world Simoleans.
  97. Mar 6, 2013
    If you like to play this game... you can't. EA in their typical manner doesn't have enough servers and you are always trying to log in, even for single player games. Maybe in a few weeks it may be great... but if you want to play a city building game, stick with playing SimCity 4 or Cities XL for now.
  98. Mar 9, 2013
    An insulting mockery of the SimCity series. Leave it up to EA to ruin yet another series. Always-Online DRM for a single player game? Laughing. Out. Loud.
  99. Sep 3, 2014
    A bad game made even worse by DRM and forced online play. What a way to ruin a perfectly good series that will probably never be the same. Thanks EA, you did it again.
  100. Mar 10, 2013
    Almost a week after I purchase this game and I'm finally able to play decently. I've lost my first 3 cities due to this mess but I'm not TOO concerned about that. This always online DRM is not for me though so I just got through getting a refund for the game. If they ever put out a single player offline mode I might come back for it. Until then I'll be putting my money towards the Civitas kickstarter. Expand

Given enough patches and DCLs, SimCity might eventually become the game that should have been on its release and justify the ambiguous choices that its developers made. [May 2013]
  2. May 9, 2013
    Hints at great things but is limited by small cities and promises it can't deliver on. [June 2013, p.80]
  3. May 9, 2013
    There's more problems with this game than I have words. Looks great though. [June 2013, p.80]