2.2

1. Mar 8, 2013
    the server is full, he give me a choice to choose another server but the save on new server is not sync, that mean you have to play a new game in every new server what a stupid design
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    So I took the bait. Even after all the research I did on other Simcity forums from those who played beta I bought the game.
    Spent about 4 hours with it yesterday and I am quite disappointed in it.
    Let's get out the Pro's: Graphics Yes it looks very pretty. Even though I was shocked to see the "sims" looking like lego characters, overall the buildings and houses etc are very pretty.
    Spent about 4 hours with it yesterday and I am quite disappointed in it.

Let's get out the Pro's:

Modular upgrades Excellent idea, and works very well. I never did like the idea behind "I need more firetrucks? build 5 more fire stations". Now I can add onto the Firehouse and expand it's coverage that way. Works very well for Police, Fire, Schools, etc.

Curved Roads I can actually build a realistic looking town. The curved roads are great. However they leave issues with putting down homes and buildings on them at times.

Now for all the Cons:

Online DRM I know everyone complains about this. I was willing to deal with it. Then the servers went down and I couldn't play. Is it first day issues? I'm not sure but it was almost ironic when the servers went down.

City Size Of course a huge complaint, other reviews mention this. Filled up my entire town in a little over an hour.

Diversity of buildings Where are all the buildings I want to build? I'm talking places like Museums, Churches, Zoo's, Post Offices, etc. etc. I can think of tons of missing content. Were these left out so EA can sell us buildings for $1 each later down the road?

Transportation So far it seems all you get are buses. No Train stations, no subways, etc. I do believe you can build an airport eventually.

The whole "Upgrade town hall to unlock stuff" Seems silly and unnecessary. I can't build a hospital because I already used my TownHall upgrade for something unrelated so I have to wait.

It's hard to really say all the issues with the game in just bullet points. One of the biggest issues I have is simply with the density of zones. Let me paint a picture for you. You have a nice suburban part of your town, where say you want your middle to upper class to live. They would live on nice single lane roads with maybe some cul da sacs shooting off that road etc. You can build the road system, and then zone it for residential. That's it.... So what happens? You get mobile homes all over, and the only way to get the houses to "upgrade" to nicer establishment is to put parks/recreation all over nearby (and their effect is small size wise). Or you have to upgrade the road. Now who lives on a 4 lane road in a mansion? Not many people I can think of. It's absolutely idiotic.

The game is definitely driven to have you share resources with neighboring regions. If you try to do it all in your one small city, you're in for a mess. So you have to essentially pause your game, and go to another city and start fresh there. Whether in the other city it's creating better jobs, or focusing on utilities to provide to your other city, etc.

Overall, I am extremely disappointed in this game. A lot of the issues CAN be patched, fixed, upgraded with a lot of work from Maxis. But in the state the game is now, it should never have been released. This will probably be a game I shelve for a bit, and hope that in a few months it becomes playable. As it sits now, I paid for a beta copy. If I could return this to EA I would.
  3. Mar 7, 2013
    I barely have the words to describe the disappointment i felt after playing a few hours of SimCity. Having been an avid fan for many years i jumped into this with high hopes of gameplay. Now, the gameplay i didnt mind too much, its fun, though still quite a few bugs around. What kills the game however is the everything besides the actual ingame content.

What enraged me to the point of

What enraged me to the point of physical arm waving was the fact that you had to be connected to the internet EVERY SINGLE MINUTE YOU PLAY THIS GAME. Combine this with highly unstable servers(And my router sometimes failing on me) resulted in me tens of times being trapped in the tutorial without being able to do anything, NOR GO AND PLAY THE REAL F*CKING GAME! But thats not all! Turns out that if you get disconnected during your gaming session your game might not be saved, which means that several hours of work suddenly goes down the drain. And to top the whole thing off: YOU CAN'T SAVE THE GAMES YOURSELF!

The only thing that made me feel marginally better was the fact that thousands of others expressed their fury online. I recommend you all to rather wait for a pirated version where you CAN ATLEAST PLAY OFFLINE, rather than buying this smoking pile of animal dung. But don't take my word for it, just have a chat with one (or all) of the thousands of other gamers who seem to agree with me.
  4. Mar 7, 2013
    Simcity has always been a single player game and out of numerous generation it has been through, this is by far the WORST one ever. No doubt gameplay is absolutely fun and better but the only drawback is due to the DRM. If EA think DRM can keep games from being pirated, well think again. You're being a scumbag to enforce DRM games at such a high cost but in turn provide the worst servicesSimcity has always been a single player game and out of numerous generation it has been through, this is by far the WORST one ever. No doubt gameplay is absolutely fun and better but the only drawback is due to the DRM. If EA think DRM can keep games from being pirated, well think again. You're being a scumbag to enforce DRM games at such a high cost but in turn provide the worst services ever. Shame on you EA. If you were a car I'd be smashing you with a baseball bat by now. I expected a better services with $80 but what I get is garbage. Expand
  5. Mar 6, 2013
    Ok, let me just start with this, I am creating an account on this site for the sole purpose of letting people know how bad this game has been so far. There are so many server issues right now its ridiculous. I know a lot of people are complaining about not being able to connect, which, yeah sure that's not good, but I am going to talk about something worse than not being able to connect.Ok, let me just start with this, I am creating an account on this site for the sole purpose of letting people know how bad this game has been so far. There are so many server issues right now its ridiculous. I know a lot of people are complaining about not being able to connect, which, yeah sure that's not good, but I am going to talk about something worse than not being able to connect. Losing mass amounts of time and progress because the game loses connection to server while playing. This in all honestly has to be the most frustrating thing to happen to me by far. I would much rather just not being able to connect than to lose half my city because EAs crap servers took a dump. Normally that wouldn't be much of a problem because you could just upload data from local storage to the cloud but guess what, this game has no local save feature. That's right, none at all. Whoever made that bonehead decision needs to be fired on the spot. I honestly have a ton of gripes about this newest iteration on one of my favorite franchises(been a sim gamer since Super Nintendo and original Sim City) but I don't want to spend all my time being negative. The only other negative thing I will say is that the city plot sizes are terrible. I didn't think that they would bother me that much but they do, a lot. Only a short while into my cities life and I have already used up half the real estate. This game forces you to cram everything in the most efficient spacing possible just to get to a decent sized city. It really takes the wind out of your sails when you realize your almost out of room and you have not gotten a tenth of the things you had planned in to the city. That said, this game has sooooo much potential. The infrastructure and groundwork have been laid out to deliver one of the best city simulations of all time there are just too many things wrong at the moment to waste your time on it. I am severely regretting buying this game. Has the time come to stop pre ordering games? I think so. To many bad decisions in game making over the past year or so has left me jaded towards developers and publishers. Im looking at you Blizzard, Bioware, EA and Maxis. You all know better but we keep taking the crap you are shoveling and asking for more so why would you ever stop? Nah, not gonna happen until we, the consumers, start speaking with our wallets. I for one WILL start speaking with my wallet from now on. No more good faith purchases for this video game nerd. Expand
  6. Mar 11, 2013
    It takes Ubisoft to learn that it just not worth having persistently connected games and deal with the potential customer backlash afterward. I've since wary of buying anything coming out of Ubisoft. I will stay out of EA too if this persist and vote with my money, until they learn...
  7. Mar 11, 2013
    I'm going to ignore the server login issues, however once you are in the game you do run out of space quite fast, again not a problem as you increase density. The major issue I have with this game is that you need to cannibalise your city to provide services such as water, power, recycling, etc. Everything takes up more and more space the trading HQ takes upwards to two big city blocks.I'm going to ignore the server login issues, however once you are in the game you do run out of space quite fast, again not a problem as you increase density. The major issue I have with this game is that you need to cannibalise your city to provide services such as water, power, recycling, etc. Everything takes up more and more space the trading HQ takes upwards to two big city blocks.

Now this issue wouldn't be an issue if the various cities in the region worked together with any consistent way, i'm always getting messages that x city is no longer sending me water, but I made x city with over 1000 times the water that city needed to supply this one, sending funds or resources seems to take half a day (real time), and each of my various cities in the region saw our Regional Airport at different stages which leads me to believe large amounts of resources were probably going into cyberspace never to be seen again. I have also noted it appears you can only send resources to your closest neighbours not those further distance.

Until ALL of Simcity's server issues are resolved I cannot recommend this game, it is broken and the long game just doesn't seem to be there, i've played three cities with a region population of 300k and a total bank balance of $55M (through electronics trading) and i've run out of things to do, I have no space, I need to keep my utilities in each city as outsourcing isn't an option, so i'm stuck just watching my balance go up, and my interest go down.
  8. Mar 6, 2013
    This is my first review ever on metacritic. Too bad its not going to be a positive one but unlike the payed of journalist it will be an honest one. Here comes a list of things wrong with this game. Plain simple!
    1. Always online DRM. (For obvious, logical reasons)
    2. SimVille not SimCty (Painfully small building space. A city can NOT be built on 2X2 Km.Period!) 3. DLC
    1. Always online DRM. (For obvious, logical reasons)

3. DLC microtransactions (Fine for a free-to-play game. NOT acceptable for a game you are renting for 80$, yeah you read correctly; renting. )

4. Not possible to create your own regions or terrain for that matter. (Maxis, ever heard of terraforming? If you are simulating something, do it slightly believable. Or is this not a simulation game?) 5. Suck you dry. (Yes, the layout of this game is made for sucking you dry and in the bad way- if there is a good one. They will probably open up the possibility for you to have bigger regions. But they will charge you for it. One lot at a time. They will also open up landmarks and cool new building. But they will charge you for it. They will open up terraforming. And again they will charge you for it. In the end you have spent 300$ on a game you wont be able to play say in 5 years time since you are renting it from EA!! )

4. Not possible to save your cities since the game autosaves for you. (If you make a misstake you stick with it just as in real life. Matbe this is a good thing? But wait, what if my cat jumps up on my keybord and places a really expensive building in the wrong place. That's right its a cat mistake but you'll have to live with it) 5. Me and You. Guys, we have just supported everything we think is wrong with this game. Be it Origin, EA, whatever. We have just condoned the destruction of a game we were all suppose to love and which many of us enjoyed as kids. How did we do this? Simply by donating 80$ to EA. Yes donated, the game is on their servers. Not on your computer! Right now we are EA's How does it feel?
  9. Mar 13, 2013
    SimCity is the biggest scam in recent gaming history. http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comments/1a5pof/did_ea_lie_about_theoretical_population_sizes/
  10. Mar 7, 2013
    I'd love to write a really favorable review about my favorite game franchise of all time. I played the original SimCity on the C64. Like I said, I'd love to. But I can't. Simply for the reason that I am unable to play the game due to the most intrusive DRM I've seen yet. I received the DVD yesterday, but of course could not install the game, since it was "unreleased". My PC at home that II'd love to write a really favorable review about my favorite game franchise of all time. I played the original SimCity on the C64. Like I said, I'd love to. But I can't. Simply for the reason that I am unable to play the game due to the most intrusive DRM I've seen yet. I received the DVD yesterday, but of course could not install the game, since it was "unreleased". My PC at home that I am currently watching remotely, is trying to install the game since this morning 8:00 am and consistently failing due to server overload and therefore being unable to validate the key. Way to go EA. Not! Expand
  11. Mar 7, 2013
    Could have been a brilliant game, but right now it's almost completely decimated by unreliable cloud saves, tiny maps, lack of terraforming and tacked-on online features.
  12. Mar 7, 2013
    I give up and will be returning my copy, if I purchase a game I want to be able to play it, why the hell does a single player game demand always on internet and rely on an external service to even start?!!? I will never ever buy anything from Maxis or EA again
  13. Mar 6, 2013
    It's error 34 all over again! and EA killed the modding community for this POS (you know how modders keep SC 4 a game that fun to play even until today!!) So we should expect this game to died out probably up to two years from now.. Let's just wait for some competitor to publish city simulator games without greed in mind.
  14. Mar 14, 2013
    Regardless of the DRM and wait times hell even the lack of cheetah speed which I'm sure will be fixed. This is not a real SimCity it's a cut down facebook game charged at $70. You can't modify the terrain, can't even add subways, very restricted gaming space and the AI is completely clueless and very unsimulation like. EA took the SIM out of SimCity, but don't worry I'm sure theyRegardless of the DRM and wait times hell even the lack of cheetah speed which I'm sure will be fixed. This is not a real SimCity it's a cut down facebook game charged at $70. You can't modify the terrain, can't even add subways, very restricted gaming space and the AI is completely clueless and very unsimulation like. EA took the SIM out of SimCity, but don't worry I'm sure they will happily sell it back to you over time. DO NOT BUY. Think of it as an online Simcity Societies, masquerading as the game we used to love so much. Expand
  15. Mar 6, 2013
    The game is completely unplayable. Can't create a city, can't join an already existing game, can't run the tutorial... this isn't just a launch day issue. This is second day. I didn't pay money to wait to play. Waste of time.
  16. Mar 7, 2013
    Have to be online, have to have origin, no modding, no terraforming, farms or subways, city sizes are too small AND ridiculous overpriced DLC even at launch. Not to mention EA cant even keep its servers up long enough for me to get on and play. When I was able to play (for 20min) it didnt save and I have to start over.
    Servers for this game will go down in a few years making it
    Servers for this game will go down in a few years making it unplayable. TERRIBLE customer service. EA is a joke.
  17. Mar 7, 2013
    The game's been out for 2 days. In the 6 hours I've been trying, I haven't even been able to get into the tutorial level because of server issues.

Poor form, EA.
  18. Mar 6, 2013
    3 Days into launch and I still cant play, this is embarrassing!!!! Day one DLC? Does it include an add-on that will make this game actually work? It really kills me that such a great game has been ruined. I will be looking for a refund for the first time....ever...
  19. Mar 26, 2013
    So, i`m rewriting my review.
    After the server issues get fixed, i finally find the real problems with the game:
    Traffic problem cannot be solved after your city gets really big. The map size is awful (about 5 miles x 5 miles). There is no terraform tool Not only the map size is small but some terrains have another waste of space with rivers, sea and mountains. From time to time your
    So, i`m rewriting my review.
    Traffic problem cannot be solved after your city gets really big.
    The map size is awful (about 5 miles x 5 miles).
    There is no terraform tool
    From time to time your city is striked with disasters, and every town that i create a nuclear plant, the giant monster always attack and strikes right on my plant, wasting half my city.
    The zombies occupies almost all residencies, and you start losing money quick, because you have do demolish everything they infected, and you lost works, and your power plant stop working, and the caos begins....

In other words: this is no simulation game, this is a very frustrate, small neighborhood simulator...
  20. Mar 6, 2013
    Love this game or hate this game, here is what you need to know before purchase: 1. ONLINE only. Not just for activation, but all of the time, which requires a server slot. 2. If you can't get a server slot, the program will wait 30 minutes before *trying to log in again*, which may well result in the same failure to get in. 3. Savegames are not stored on your computer, but on EA'sLove this game or hate this game, here is what you need to know before purchase: 1. ONLINE only. Not just for activation, but all of the time, which requires a server slot. 2. If you can't get a server slot, the program will wait 30 minutes before *trying to log in again*, which may well result in the same failure to get in. 3. Savegames are not stored on your computer, but on EA's servers. 4. Savegames are not stored on all their servers, only one. So if you want to load a save game, you have to log in to the same server as before (see above). To date people have spent more time waiting than playing, and as the waiting game isn't *really* a game, I'm rating ZERO. Expand
  21. Mar 6, 2013
    Fantastically fun game, but Maxis doesn't have control of its servers. I spend most of my time playing alone anyways, they might as well have it be a game that is on your computer. I know they are trying to make money with this DRM business, and Maxis' unwillingness to waiver on this makes the game unplayable (literally unplayable. Even when the servers aren't busy, there is a 25% chanceFantastically fun game, but Maxis doesn't have control of its servers. I spend most of my time playing alone anyways, they might as well have it be a game that is on your computer. I know they are trying to make money with this DRM business, and Maxis' unwillingness to waiver on this makes the game unplayable (literally unplayable. Even when the servers aren't busy, there is a 25% chance that I can play the game at all). Do not buy SimCity. Expand
  22. Mar 6, 2013
    It's the DRM, plain and simple. A beautiful game marred by EA; I have no interest in sharing regions; I'm unable to play my purchase, and I don't believe it's the core game to blame.

Which is a shame but I can't, in good faith, recommend or rate a title highly if the peripherals mar the experience.
  23. Mar 6, 2013
    I want my money back. I don't how care how beautiful or complex the game looks. If it doesn't work then these things are irrelevant! EA has alienated many SimCity fans including myself. I hope they have learned a lesson from this. Oh, and since I am already at it here's another complaint. Nix DRM! This is an absurd element to have in this kind of a game. Make multiplayer games optional andI want my money back. I don't how care how beautiful or complex the game looks. If it doesn't work then these things are irrelevant! EA has alienated many SimCity fans including myself. I hope they have learned a lesson from this. Oh, and since I am already at it here's another complaint. Nix DRM! This is an absurd element to have in this kind of a game. Make multiplayer games optional and provide users with optional updates and patches, like in the past. What happened to the emphasis on personal choice in the SimCity franchise philosophy anyways? Went down the drain with EA's fascist republic of gaming business model, I guess. Expand
  24. Mar 7, 2013
    Its a major drawback when you cant actually play a game you purchase. Constant server issues and in-game glitches make this a game we all should have avoided. Governments should legislate against gaming companies which continue to release games unfinished or so poorly supported Don't buy it until you are given guarantees that it will work or that they are discontinuing DRM
  25. Mar 5, 2013
    PROS: Fresh look for a good classic, resources or speciality services, shared goals within game, on line play.

CONS: DRM tech (for such a "unpopular" game, based on EA's preparedness level), SC Veterans will miss a single player mode, EA's support structure was not scaled appropriately for this games data/connection requirements and/or the demand thereof. Im not sure what type of

Im not sure what type of this latest title the Critics got a taste of, but I assure you, it wasn't the one that consumers beta tested or paid for. Finally, with all that can go wrong(and has) with games that have gone this route, I'm not even sure if you can call this a game at this stage.....maybe software or program as a game is fundamentally redundant if it cannot be played and just merely stared at, in awestruck disappointment.
  26. Mar 6, 2013
    Server reached maximum capacity and so I was placed in a queue and was not allowed to play a single player game because it forces me to constantly be online.
  27. Mar 11, 2013
    A classic example of how not to do it. Servers are usually busy or down. Always-online DRM. The game lags like crazy. It's over-whelmingly easy. Half the content of the game feels like it's missing. In short, this game's launch is probably the worst of any video game ever. A clear sign that it's about time to crash the Titanic that is EA.
  28. Mar 13, 2013
    Again a crappy game from EA, which was elected as worst company in the USA.
    They ended up even above tobacco- and arms manufacturers.
    After ruining Fifa and Battlefield 3 with bugs, DRM crap and payable DLC... this is just the next game being wiped out by EA. NEVER have I ever given any game a straight zero. But spend so much money on a game you expect it to work. And if it's not
    Again a crappy game from EA, which was elected as worst company in the USA.
    They ended up even above tobacco- and arms manufacturers.
    NEVER have I ever given any game a straight zero. But spend so much money on a game you expect it to work. And if it's not working because of a total despicable feature like the obligation to be always online... that's just humiliating and not worth spending 1 buck to it.
  29. Mar 6, 2013
    Hard to write a review for a game I can't play. Even on available servers every time I try to claim a city I get an error message.

I was able to play about an hour (which was mostly the tutorial) on launch day and since then I haven't been to resume my single player region and city (due to the server being full) and I haven't been able to start a new city.
  30. Mar 6, 2013
    I'm (was?) a huge fan of the SimCity franchise. But in this game, i gotta admit: EA really *ucked it up. You need an internet connection to play a single player game, and sometimes you got even to wait in order to play it. This was definetly my last purchase at origin. Don't waste your money in this game.

Given enough patches and DCLs, SimCity might eventually become the game that should have been on its release and justify the ambiguous choices that its developers made. [May 2013]
  2. May 9, 2013
    Hints at great things but is limited by small cities and promises it can't deliver on. [June 2013, p.80]
  3. May 9, 2013
    There's more problems with this game than I have words. Looks great though. [June 2013, p.80]