SimCity PC

2.2

1. Mar 11, 2013
    Look at the positive critic reviews. Remember the names of the organizations that gave those ridiculous scores. Remember them and never support them. Their reviews and very integrity are for sale. When users collectively rate a game 1.6 out of 10, and a professional critic rates it 100% perfect, it doesn't take a genious to figure out what is going on. I can only pray that this gameLook at the positive critic reviews. Remember the names of the organizations that gave those ridiculous scores. Remember them and never support them. Their reviews and very integrity are for sale. When users collectively rate a game 1.6 out of 10, and a professional critic rates it 100% perfect, it doesn't take a genious to figure out what is going on. I can only pray that this game is a huge enough financial flop to make EA finally get the message, but i doubt it. 10 years from now, people will still be playing all the old SImCity games, 1-4, but the servers for this latest installment will have been down for years, rendering it unplayable. Fortunately, nobody will want to play it anyways. This game made me want to dust off SinCity 4, and take it for a spin. Expand
  2. Mar 8, 2013
    Do not buy this Trash of a game, EA does not deserve to be a company for this, makes me never want to buy another game from them again. Thanks for nothing... sigh should have bought crack with the 60 dollars...
  3. Mar 13, 2013
    I'm not here to rage about DRM. Yeah it sucks, but what can you do? At this point, the servers are a little unreliable but I have played 106 hours and haven't had any major issues in about 3 days now. Most of these reviews bash the DRM and always online blah blah blah, but it's not just that. The AI is beyond horrible. You start getting up to 80k population (which is tiny) and things goI'm not here to rage about DRM. Yeah it sucks, but what can you do? At this point, the servers are a little unreliable but I have played 106 hours and haven't had any major issues in about 3 days now. Most of these reviews bash the DRM and always online blah blah blah, but it's not just that. The AI is beyond horrible. You start getting up to 80k population (which is tiny) and things go from bad to worse quickly. Sims stack up and fill the streets needlessly, buses from other regions all flood into the city back to back at the same time, your freight trucks (the backbone of profit) get stuck in this traffic and your city begins to burn to the ground. The traffic and AI is not just challenging, as I first thought it was, it's just broken. It completely ruins your sense of success in building a thriving city. Sure, you can get around it with exploits and bugs like only zoning residential with some parks, or dirt access roads for trade express lanes, but it just sucks that you can't just build a big badass city and have things work right the way they should. The game is fun for a while, or if you aren't really hardcore about it, but I can't recommend it to any of my friends that have previously played the franchise. It's bad news, pick it up in the bargain bin in 6 months. Maybe they will have fixed a couple things by then. Expand
  4. Mar 6, 2013
    Until I can play this game my score will remain a zero. I understand some people are able to sit around and keep trying until they get into the game. Between school and work I don't have the time to do that. It is frustrating that I can't play a game due to EA servers. To those complaining how people are in the wrong giving low scores based on this alone, I feel we have the right toUntil I can play this game my score will remain a zero. I understand some people are able to sit around and keep trying until they get into the game. Between school and work I don't have the time to do that. It is frustrating that I can't play a game due to EA servers. To those complaining how people are in the wrong giving low scores based on this alone, I feel we have the right to complain about something broken. To anyone looking at buying this game, do not at the current moment. Give it time till EA can prove their servers are in better shape, or even better when/if they add offline play. Expand
  5. Mar 6, 2013
    Half of the time I cannot even play the game. The always-on online DRM ruins games. This is terrible, and when I can play sometimes the game crashes.
  6. Mar 6, 2013
    I've actually gotten to play the game a little bit, and it's fun. The maps are too small, but I still probably would have given the game an 8. Unfortunately the game barely works, and in fact for the past 8 hours of the 2nd day after launch it hasn't worked AT ALL. Most people have vilified the required always on internet connection and DRM. I knew all about that going in, and so didI've actually gotten to play the game a little bit, and it's fun. The maps are too small, but I still probably would have given the game an 8. Unfortunately the game barely works, and in fact for the past 8 hours of the 2nd day after launch it hasn't worked AT ALL. Most people have vilified the required always on internet connection and DRM. I knew all about that going in, and so did everyone else who read about the game before it came out. I personally don't have a problem with the idea of those policies if the game works. It doesn't. I didn't pay 60 dollars to participate in a beta test, and neither should anyone else. This game is a zero and EA should be ashamed. Expand
  7. Mar 6, 2013
    I purchased this game and have been unable to play it once. I purchased the game using the Origin website. I was able to log onto the servers once, but then the game crashed after about 5-10 minutes of the tutorial. Now I am unable to start another game. Unable to get refund. I am calling my credit card company to prevent payment.
  8. Mar 6, 2013
    What is there to say about this game that hasn't been said? Nothing.
    What is there to say about this game that hasn't been said? Nothing.
    The constant internet connection requirements Or DRM is going to be the downfall of this game plain and simple. I'm an older gamer and of all my friends I'm the only one that plays non-sports video games...So this whole online social interaction with games isn't something I'm interested in. I play SOLO! Which means I shouldn't need to connect to the internet or try and log into full servers.

The servers have been busy since launch! They even added another 4 servers (2 more for the U.S 2 more for Europe) but they all remain busy. To access these busy servers they place you in a queue which checks for availability every 20 mins! Who wants to wait 20 mins in queue to play a game in 2013? To make matters worse city saves don't transfer across all the different servers. So if you developed an entire "region" on the EAST USA 1 server it's restricted to that server. So having to jump onto another server means you have to start all over again. During gameplay if the server goes down, which has happened 8 times in 12H of game time played, then your progress isn't saved and you again have to start over. The maps are way to small. Weird glitches take place. Factories/casinos/schools all magically stop working causing massive crashes in population. I think they included the fluctuating population feature b/c of the small map size. Curved roads are useless. They waste space which is very crucial in this version. If you're willing to pay for a game that you will have limited access too, will constantly have to restart due to developer incompetence, get frustrated by illogical glitches then buy the game. I would recommend not buying this game. Spend 5$ on a Kairosoft game (Game dev story/mega mall story) you'll get more enjoyment and better performance from that game.
  9. Mar 6, 2013
    Unable to play. Tutorial will not progress past the loading screen. Queues to play a single player game.

This is unacceptable EA. I expect things that I purchase to work as advertised on day one. Fix this.
  10. Mar 6, 2013
    Just helping to drag down the rating here in hopes that EA will learn a lesson here. Do not block me from playing a single player game because your servers are insufficient. 48 Hours after launch. This is unacceptable,
  11. Mar 6, 2013
    I created a Metacritic account just to review this game. Here are some simple points.
    a) The DRM is ATROCIOUS. IT WON'T EVEN "AUTHENTICATE ME" TO PLAY SINGLEPLAYER.
    b) If that isn't enough, THE GAME CRASHES EVERY 15 MINUTES.
    c) From what I played of the game, it's mediocre at best.
    d) This is a complete waste of $60 and I swear I will never buy another EA game again.
  12. Mar 6, 2013
    I don't agree about people claiming that the DRM should not influence the score of the game.
    This is severely limiting my game experience, not allowing me to play it when and where I want (on the road in the train? not possible).
    For a game focused about singleplayer (who believes this community BS anyway) this is a big minus. The fact that it does not work properly to start with is in
    The fact that it does not work properly to start with is in this age of clouds, flexible computing a meager excuse.
    If you impose it, better make it work or your customers will be unhappy. My boss wouldn't accept such a lame excuse either.

I asked for a refund and will not buy or play an EA game from now on.
  13. Mar 7, 2013
    Simply put, this version is no longer a city sim, but rather a city version of the sims series. This was the worst release I've experienced in 15 years of online gaming. I don't mind the DRM as long as I have the option to play offline (not avail...) in the case that I'll be frequently travelling with no persistent internet connection. What I really hate about it is once they realizeSimply put, this version is no longer a city sim, but rather a city version of the sims series. This was the worst release I've experienced in 15 years of online gaming. I don't mind the DRM as long as I have the option to play offline (not avail...) in the case that I'll be frequently travelling with no persistent internet connection. What I really hate about it is once they realize that keeping the game online is costing them more money than they tricked loyal SC fans out of, they just turn off the lights and we are out the $60-80. Frequent server drops and synch issues made it impossible to join public regions despite having access to a fiberoptic connection on the west coast. I didn't get the opportunity to participate in the betas or I probably would not have bought the game. Well played EA. Like many others here, my first impression of the game was a great big WTF!? The cities... err neighborhoods... are tiny and it really does feel like a facebook game. Gone are the custom maps and giant cities where you designed your own mass transit and raised your populations to huge numbers. If you enjoyed SC4 you probably wont like this game... I hate to say it but give Cities XL a go instead. I'm usually very understanding of release or patch issues since I am a software developer/DBA myself, but the types and seriousness of problems I encountered really made me wonder if half the code was even tested. I imagine it was more like "Hey we said March release, let's just put out what we have by then and deal with the fallout by using coyly worded press releases and ninja hotfixes". Expand
  14. Mar 6, 2013
    If you buy a singleplayer game and can't play on release day because of server issues, the game is basically defective. I would have been willing to stomach Online-DRM, but only if it actually worked. Customers should be no testbed for server architecture.
  15. Mar 6, 2013
    Massive step back for the franchise which reached its peak with SimCity 4. This release owes much more to the Sims in terms of concept and gameplay. Definitely not in the mold of a classic city simulator.
  16. Mar 7, 2013
    The game itself seems fine, but it's been out for 2 days and I still can't play it because of the always online DRM. It's unacceptable for a single player game to use that kind of system.
  17. Mar 7, 2013
    The game itself is interesting, server administration and offline for a long time. Too bad Given the poor response. Origin terrible response to market. Once again the game itself is interesting.
  18. Mar 7, 2013
    Spent the last 5 hours trying to play this but haven't been able to load up a city.

Worst part of the server congestion is the lack of UI feedback. I don't get anything telling me the server is full, or even a wait time all I get is generic errors that amount to "That didn't work, try again later." I haven't bought a game at launch for ages now, and I'm really regretting not doing

I haven't bought a game at launch for ages now, and I'm really regretting not doing what I usually do and wait till it was in the bargain bin. Of course by then the servers would probably be completely off.

I miss single player gaming.
  19. Mar 7, 2013
    Regardless of how great the game MIGHT be this debacle of a launch cannot get anything more than a zip,zilch, zero. I have tried for over two hourse to get at game started. A single player, private game...
    "We are confident the European launch will go smoothly" my A**
    "We are confident the European launch will go smoothly" my A**
    After being thrown out of servers, being stuck on "Searching for update"-screen (only way to get past was to manually erase files on my hard drive), not being able to do anything but scroll around the map in tutorial mode three times on two different servers and not being able to start so much as a single teeny weeny ramshackle town I cannot recommend buying this at this point to anyone!
    I really, really wanted to like this game. I didn't care too much about neither the always online nor the smaller map size but to pay so much money for something that doesn't work what so ever is not ok...
    There is no possible excuse for releasing such a broken product and there is sure as hell no way I would recommend anyone to but this product at this time.

(Great, after being thrown out of the servers again I'm stuck on "Searching for updates"... Again...)
  20. Mar 7, 2013
    always-on-drm is not acceptable in SimCity. EA killed the franchise. Played every SimCity-like game for hundrends of hours not buying this one because of EA stupid and greedy market practice. Its a shame, because maxis built a really nice sim engine.
  21. Mar 7, 2013
    Is this going to be the way forward for all pc game launches? with unusable servers, unfinished content and online single player games that only work when your rooster and goat are pointed into the wind on a full moon?.
    I still have nightmares about a company called Ubisoft that mostly started this and i have not bought a game off them since.
    To the fan boys- the game maybe good but the
    To the fan boys- the game maybe good but the total game experience is ruined with another 2 finger salute from money hungry company's that should not be tolerated or encouraged in any form.
  22. Mar 7, 2013
    I'd love to give this game a good score, however as usual EA have b0rked the release. AU release late, costs more dollars than any other country, pre-load that doesn't pre-load anything, and now I can't actually play the game because there are no servers. Great work EA!
  23. Mar 7, 2013
    Acquistato l'anno scorso in prevendita e dopo quasi 10 ore dal lancio europeo (piĆ¹ di 24 dal lancio usa) non mi permette nemmeno di giocare? No ragazzi, non ci siamo.
  24. Mar 7, 2013
    EA had YEARS to prepare for this launch. YEARS. What did they do with it? They let it go straight down a nasty toilet.

This game was meant to be great, but always-on DRM isn't a winner in this category. Nobody likes it and EA is paying the price. Servers are constantly clogged. And if you play for a an hour, it will be slow and you'll suddenly be kicked off without any game

Servers are constantly clogged. And if you play for a an hour, it will be slow and you'll suddenly be kicked off without any game save. Boom! All your work is gon!
  25. Mar 7, 2013
    I have been able to play 3 hours since launch. Being forced to play through Origin, (which didn't predownload the game), and being forced to go online was a hard pill to swallow. Now the servers have crashed and nearly 4 days after game was scheduled to be out I still can't play. The little amount of time I did play was ok. City size was too small, then I didn't know what to do. ThoughtI have been able to play 3 hours since launch. Being forced to play through Origin, (which didn't predownload the game), and being forced to go online was a hard pill to swallow. Now the servers have crashed and nearly 4 days after game was scheduled to be out I still can't play. The little amount of time I did play was ok. City size was too small, then I didn't know what to do. Thought the game play was too easy. I also dont' get why it wants this Evil Vu character to turn my citizens into criminals. No I don't want to turn this business into a mafia esque stranglehold. The amount of joy I had playing my first city for 3 hours was quickly wiped away when 2 other cities were lost without the ability to save when the game consistanstly crashed. I was hesitant of EA. I will never buy another EA game. Expand
  26. Mar 7, 2013
    I managed to play the game last night and I was amazed on how amazing the game play is, BUT THIS ALWAYS ONLINE DRM thing is just terrible. I spend good hard earn money on this and they give me sever issues? This is just insulting!
  27. Mar 7, 2013
    EA Games, destroy everything.
    Permanent connection, less difficult, tiny maps... I was a big fan of SimCity, but I think we should turn the page now.
  28. Mar 7, 2013
    What's the point of the developers spending so much time and effort making this game when we can't even get onto the server to play it. Cloud based gaming is just rubbish. I would much rather have my save file saved to my PC and thus allow me to play without wondering whether EA will have its server's fixed
  29. Mar 7, 2013
    What a let down. Played for a few hours and really liked the game. Only to return to my city a few hours later and realise it didn't save my city's progress because the server connection failed during play. Two hours of playing were gone. Unacceptable!!!!
  30. Mar 8, 2013
    I'm going to be extremely generous in this review by pretending I'm writing from the perspective of six months from now, that all the server issues have been fixed, and that perhaps EA has even modified some of the most egregious limitations of the online DRM. As a longtime SimCity fan who's played every iteration of the game, though, going back to Will Wright's original classic, it trulyI'm going to be extremely generous in this review by pretending I'm writing from the perspective of six months from now, that all the server issues have been fixed, and that perhaps EA has even modified some of the most egregious limitations of the online DRM. As a longtime SimCity fan who's played every iteration of the game, though, going back to Will Wright's original classic, it truly pains me to say I still cannot recommend this game.

The city size issue mentioned by many here is actually not new, but it's become so bad that it actually undermines the core premise of the game (that one is simulating a "city"). I can still recall being disappointed at how small SimCity 4's city areas seemed relative to SimCity 3000, but here the typical "city" is, without exaggeration, neighborhood-size. At 2x2 km, a typical city lot is slightly larger than Park Slope in Brooklyn, assuming there is no water or other unbuildable terrain. Truth be told, SimCity never handled scale all that well, but with these dimensions, the very notion of mass transit itself becomes absurd, as a pedestrian could walk across the city in a matter of minutes. It's little wonder that agricultural zoning and subways have disappeared. The cities are simply too small for them.

This alone is enough to severely limit the appeal of the game to me, but the regional system, too, is poorly implemented. The essence of SimCity was, after all, always the Mayorship, and the Mayor's authority extends only to the borders of his city. Attempting to create regional economies and specializations, where players are forced to constantly deal with neighbors (whether in multiplayer or single-player) ultimately detracts from the experience, IMO. This is not SimCounty or SimState or SimRegionalEconomicPartnership, it's SimCity! The scale and shape of the cities, moreover, makes the "regions" appear quite ridiculous and not at all realistic.

Zoning, a core element of the game, has been given an overhaul, but not for the better. Previous versions built in infrastructure cost as part of the zoning itself (higher densities cost more to zone), but did not care what size street they fronted. Here, zoning is free, but all depends on the type of fronting street. This makes it impossible to construct anything like Lower Manhattan or downtown Boston. Your options are basically Phoenix, Las Vegas or Houston, on a tiny scale. The streets can be curvy now, yes, but since building lots remain square (was it really that hard to snap lots and buildings to irregular spaces?), this produces a tremendous amount of wasted space.

The time scale of SimCity was always perplexing, with the early emphasis on dirty industry, later transitioning to electronics and white collar services, suggestive of a starting point during the industrial revolution and moving through the late 20th century (I believe SC 2000 had a possible starting year of 1900 A.D., though contemporary tech was always available, and culminated with futuristic arcologies). The tantalizing possibilities of building a game that captures the sweep of urban history in this manner, a sort of Civilization of city-building, has been left unexplored here. Instead, the player lives in a perpetual now, with only a handful of technological enhancements here and there. About the AI, many uncomplimentary things could be said. Multiple fire trucks respond to a single modest house fire even as a wall of flame sweeps through the industrial district. Residents make contradictory statements about their proximity to shopping. And so on.

I'm trying to think of a few positive things to say here, and I do like the option of simply adding on to, rather than demolishing and rebuilding, certain buildings. The graphics are attractive enough, if a bit cartoony. Overall, though, it's just not a step up from SC 4, or even from the two before it. Did fans really wait 10 years for this? Perhaps Maxis can, in time, mend some of the flaws. Others are here to stay, reflective of what looks like a long-term shift away from single-player in-depth games to a ones better suited to an era of smart phones and short attention spans. For SimCity, though, one of the ultimate time wasters and friend to micromanagers everywhere, that design imperative may very well be fatal to the venerable franchise.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Jun 5, 2013
    Given enough patches and DCLs, SimCity might eventually become the game that should have been on its release and justify the ambiguous choices that its developers made. [May 2013]
  2. Games Master UK
    May 9, 2013
    Hints at great things but is limited by small cities and promises it can't deliver on. [June 2013, p.80]
  3. Hyper Magazine
    May 9, 2013
    There's more problems with this game than I have words. Looks great though. [June 2013, p.80]