2.2

1. Mar 7, 2013
    I've played the game and it is, indeed, all I expected. I'm kind of lucky to have paid $15,00 in my country because, really, I don't see myself playing this game for long.

Of the last 3 days, I've played over 24 hours but I've lost cities, lost 10 hours of game out of nowhere and, the worse, you never know if it will sinc up your data. They are taking the servers down without telling the players so they can "save" their progress...

This always-online DRM, I really think they could have made a simple single-player 1 city map, perhaps even a bigger map, for the sake of avoiding this catastrophic launch... It's a good game, but the false promises of stability of their DRM really makes me give them a round ZERO.
  2. Mar 7, 2013
    Attempting to play Sim City is a pointless waste of time. I wonder if EA is purposely trying to kill PC games by causing such an overwhelmingly poor experience. Sim City was looking like a sure fire hit, with excellent graphics and an enjoyable immersive world to create in. However it has become an absolute shambles which seems so unimaginably inept as to make me think it had to be intentional.
  3. Mar 7, 2013
    Any game I can't play after paying money for it gets a zero. EA has seen the last of my money. No one should support always-online DRM. Its unfortunate EA had to do this to one of the most beloved games from my childhood. First Diablo 3 and now this.

Additionally, Origin sucks. I avoided it like the plague until SimCity came out and then I was forced to use it. No one likes you, EA. If I could wish bankruptcy on any company, it would probably be them.
  4. Mar 7, 2013
    There's a hint, a glimmer of a good game running under the hood, but it's plagued by terrible decisions. Let's get the DRM discussion out of the way: the always-online DRM requirement punishes paying customers while providing a mere speed bump to pirates. It's a poor idea and should be abandoned. Moving on.

My biggest gripe with the game is the absolutely tiny size of the cities.

My biggest gripe with the game is the absolutely tiny size of the cities. To be honest, it reminds me of a span of 12 blocks in Manhattan from one subway point to the next. You fill up your allotted town space within a couple hours, and then every town ends up looking like a Borg cube. I understand they're trying to push region play with cities interacting with each other, but the cities (towns, really) look very artificial. There's no organic life to them like in prior SimCity games or even more recent independent entries in city simulation like CitiesXL (for all its warts).

The game is fun for a little while, but ultimately leaves one wanting and is depressing because it's a testament to what could have been.
  5. Mar 7, 2013
    Sooner EA goes bust the better... EA represent everything wrong with the game industry. Guess what EA it is too late.... even if you do patch out the awful DRM
  6. Mar 7, 2013
    Lets see.
    Require Always online meaning if the server were to go down while you are still playing and kept on playing for few hours without reconnecting to the server, then you would lose any progress after that point as it happened to me. Unable to authenticate with the server but if you were lucky to pass that then..
    Unable to load the tutorial.. but if you pass that then.. Unable to
    Lets see.
    Unable to load the tutorial.. but if you pass that then..
    Unable to create game. lol..but if you were to create a game Then you would just disconnect and start over again..
    U
  7. Mar 7, 2013
    Unplayable: always-on-DRM ruins a promising game. I would recommend to wait for EA/Origin to remove their broken DRM system; it only hurts paying customers.
  8. Mar 7, 2013
    Total failure from EA to launch a finished product. The city grid sizes are completely too small. They are able to be filled in under an hour of play time. The DRM prevents this game from standing on its own... yet, it's a single player game. Nonsense, really. Forced regional dependencies result in really rough game play when your neighbor doesn't know what he is doing or decides toTotal failure from EA to launch a finished product. The city grid sizes are completely too small. They are able to be filled in under an hour of play time. The DRM prevents this game from standing on its own... yet, it's a single player game. Nonsense, really. Forced regional dependencies result in really rough game play when your neighbor doesn't know what he is doing or decides to play once, then never come back. Expand
  9. Mar 7, 2013
    If your looking to play a sim town game that you can rarely play because of server issues, cannot save, and crashes regularly then you are in luck. Otherwise, stay away. How does EA stay in business producing this stuff? We all must just be sheep to them.
  10. Mar 7, 2013
    When you purchase a game, you should be able to play it when it is released. If a game cannot be made available to the customers, the game should not be released. Ive tried for hours to get in, to no avail. Always online DRM needs to go the way of the dodo. Such a shame
  11. Mar 7, 2013
    I am used to bad launches. However, there doesn't seem to be a single server that is working. Not being able to play a game I just payed for is the worst kind of launch. EA I want my money back.
  12. Mar 7, 2013
    I pre-ordered Digital Deluxe Edition on Origin way back in January.
    I never received any of the keys for any of the betas from EA.
    The game is still unavailable (not yet released) to me although it should have unlocked 16 hrs ago. I also fear when it does become available it will not be working, it will be crashing, there will be server errors, as well as progress lost. Why else would
    I pre-ordered Digital Deluxe Edition on Origin way back in January.
    I never received any of the keys for any of the betas from EA.
    I also fear when it does become available it will not be working, it will be crashing, there will be server errors, as well as progress lost. Why else would they hold off unlocking it. To me as their premium customer?
    The review is not based solely on my frustration about release but also on bad experience of playing the Beta for which I got the key through another Amazon pre-order.
  13. Mar 7, 2013
    For once there is a broken record that I enjoy listening to. I never knew i could get so much enjoyment out of reading terrible reviews. EA embarrassed themselves big time on this one. I mean WTF. Are they seriously keeping people from just installing this thing and playing with no worries? Is your internet up? Do the servers have room? Did you city even save? I was one of the "lucky"For once there is a broken record that I enjoy listening to. I never knew i could get so much enjoyment out of reading terrible reviews. EA embarrassed themselves big time on this one. I mean WTF. Are they seriously keeping people from just installing this thing and playing with no worries? Is your internet up? Do the servers have room? Did you city even save? I was one of the "lucky" people that played for a few hours. It was enjoyable, I searched for a way to expand my city for about 20 mins thinking, "this can't be the full size"... "there has to be a way that you can buy more space with your Simoleons. Nope. Thats it. All the land you get. So you have to start demolishing entire blocks to deal with the never ending need for more fire stantions and water treatment plants. I had 6 fire stations (mostly upgraded) on that little plot of land and they were still complaining at me. I won't even go into the lack of subways and pipe laying.. heh heh. All puns aside, this was a pretty big disappointment..... Not even to mention I CANT EVEN PLAY NOW!! EA.. you s**k. Youre a greedy corporation that wants to rob gamers of the exact reason you are in business. I will happily seek a pirated version of this and wont be spending anymore money on your products. I would say I am going to seek a refund, but we all know that won't happen. I will just delete my account and wait for somebody to upload an offline, and more importantly, playable version. Maxis, you should have known better. I mean come on. To develop such a devoted following and in one fell swoop piss 99% of them off. Bravo btw, I don't know if that has been done with such a blaze of glory. RIP Simcity, you will be missed. Expand
  14. Mar 7, 2013
    Poor Customer Service. Poor design. Poor execution. This one is entirely on EA. NOT WORTH BUYING. WILL NOT ISSUE REFUND. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS ATROCIOUS.

SINGLE PLAYER GAMES SHOULD NOT REQUIRE ALWAYS ON INTERNET CONNECTION!!!
  15. Mar 7, 2013
    A step too far.
    I bought this single player game, loaded up my disc, installed the game and went to play. That was the best part of the experience. It was all downhill from there.....
    The servers were down and when up you have to wait in a queue to actually get into the game. So as of yet I have not actually played the game I paid £40 for. Right now it is a dead paper weight. What
    A step too far.
    What annoys me is not that EA seem overly obsessed with copy protection but that they have created a game that should be a single player game just like all the previous games. You should not have to login to a server to be able to play it. There are so many other ways of doing it that the fact they went in the direction they did cannot be defended. I hope reviewers slam the game based upon that because it isn't needed or wanted. You should get a simple code that you enter into Origin to register your game to your account and then do what you want, play offline if you want. Going this route is a step to far and is nothing more then wanting to spy on you and control what you do. It is more like a facebook system then a computer game. EA messed this one up badly.
  16. Mar 7, 2013
    EA just destroyed its reputation for the sake of their DRM by making this abhorrent excuse of a game The SimCity franchise has been completely dismantled servers are never up, games are booted, can't save your progress and if you manage to start your game again you have to start from the beginning ...
    absolutely disappointing
  17. Mar 7, 2013
    The forced drm makes this one good game that it would probably be best to pass up. I can't understand how EA believed you could make a single player game online only.
  18. Mar 7, 2013
    Not sure how any professional review can give this game a 10/10. Reviews should be taking game features into account, and considering the biggest feature of SimCity is it's Online mode, a 10 is laughable. So all of those 10s you see are coming from bad journalists who aren't doing their jobs correctly., just so you know because the game is good, but doesn't work. Quite honestly, SimCityNot sure how any professional review can give this game a 10/10. Reviews should be taking game features into account, and considering the biggest feature of SimCity is it's Online mode, a 10 is laughable. So all of those 10s you see are coming from bad journalists who aren't doing their jobs correctly., just so you know because the game is good, but doesn't work. Quite honestly, SimCity could be the greatest game of all time, but you'd never know it unless you are lucky enough to get past the gauntlet of problems caused by poor development decisions. I'd stay far away from this game until they do an overhaul on the system. Expand
  19. Mar 7, 2013
    Not only should you not buy this game (it flat out does not work), you should also discredit any Review Site that gives this game a passing grade.
    It is a failure.
  20. Mar 7, 2013
    The first thing about a game that every single one of them needs is for it to work, this does not its inexcusable, how can they spend all this time developing a game and then for it not to work, did they not expect for more than 5 people to play it a one time or something, worst thing is though EA wouldn't refund me saying its not in their policy, i stuck with EA through Mass Effect butThe first thing about a game that every single one of them needs is for it to work, this does not its inexcusable, how can they spend all this time developing a game and then for it not to work, did they not expect for more than 5 people to play it a one time or something, worst thing is though EA wouldn't refund me saying its not in their policy, i stuck with EA through Mass Effect but this stupid DRM thing for a single player game is ridiculous, when will you listen to anything anyone says i am fed up with it and i seriously hope you rethink your entire business strategy or just leave the video game market which you've already left in tatters, i would not care if North Korea went through with its threats and nuked EA, in fact i would be overjoyed at the prospect of it, so Kim Jong Un if you somehow can read this nuke EA into the stone age for the good of the world please. Expand
  21. Mar 7, 2013
    Have not been able to play due to the always on DRM do not buy this game as it is broken. Even with it being broken EA will not give me a refund I repeat do not buy this game.
  22. Mar 7, 2013
    The game is an utter disaster. Treating paying customers like vile criminals with absolutely draconian DRM that does not work. I've had only played it for 3 Hrs when it crashed saying I NEEDED to be connected to the internet to play on my own. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. You will be thrown into the vast abyss of people who can't play the the THEY BOUGHT AND PAYED FOR. A disgrace to gaming and aThe game is an utter disaster. Treating paying customers like vile criminals with absolutely draconian DRM that does not work. I've had only played it for 3 Hrs when it crashed saying I NEEDED to be connected to the internet to play on my own. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. You will be thrown into the vast abyss of people who can't play the the THEY BOUGHT AND PAYED FOR. A disgrace to gaming and a disgrace to a paying customer. Expand
  23. Mar 7, 2013
    I wish I could rate this game lower than zero. EA has acted dishonestly. I will never pay for an EA product again. Please join the boycott. These people don't need any more of your money.
  24. Mar 7, 2013
    Absolutely unacceptable and disgraceful launch from Origin. It's not so much that it's an always online game.... although that is also ridiculous... you should be able to play a single player game offline....I just can't deal with paying good money to waste my damn time waiting to load this bloody game. The issue had bloody well be temporary, It's a damn shame. unbloodyacceptable.
  25. Mar 7, 2013
    I created a metacritic account just because of this game.
    Online connection required to play at all times. WTF I have one. WHY doesn't this play? I purchased this for $86.49 with all the bells and whistles, I should have just gotten a hand
    I created a metacritic account just because of this game.
    job from the illegal on the corner. I guess I have to spend hours trolling thru EA forums looking for someone saying "we are aware of the bull**** and are working hard to fix it" A game to be played by people to manage a city and EA can't even manage a release?
    26 awards this thing received for what making more money than a ponzi scheme...
    Get Bernie back he'll get this going!! GET ME MY MONEY BACK!

EA you trash producing hack company! and Maxis you made a deal with the devil.
    Anyone who thinks this game is good I sell you my unplayable copy sounds like a sweet deal to me.
  26. Mar 7, 2013
    Lets be simple.
    What is the worth of an unplayable game? Zero.
    It doesn't matter even if the actual games is brilliant, because you could barely make it that far.
  27. Mar 8, 2013
    To EA staff reading this, it is completely fair for us to judge your games for the first 15 minutes, and since I haven't been able to log in for 2 whole days now, I think it's fair to say I've had enough!

I've been a game designer for 20+ years and this is why games my studio creates doesn't require an "always on connection". In fact, I'd fire the person who even suggests it at my studio.

Games are supposed to be low barrier to entry, all users want, is to play the game straight after installation.
  28. Mar 7, 2013
    Single player game that requires an internet connection and the installation of clunky EA software Origin to run. I'll pass on that alone, but the core game play is also a step backwards in terms of tiny cities, autosave which means no experimenting and then loading. According to the many reports it is also very buggy right now (release time).
    Back to the whole always on-line DRM thing.
    Back to the whole always on-line DRM thing.
    1. no playing on your laptop where you have crappy or no internet.
    2. Your game stops working when EA stops running the servers
    3. Your game doesn't work well right now- EA is having trouble with their servers.

There are many other reasons DRM is bad just read the comments here. I played and enjoyed the older versions of sim city. It is sad that this game is so crippled.
  29. Mar 7, 2013
    No one should ever support draconian DRM like EA has imposed here. In fact the current server issues they are having is proof why such DRM is fail. Overall I say please vote with your wallet.
  30. Mar 7, 2013
    I still play SC4, and pre-ordered this piece of crap. Graphics and game play are like a retarded Facebook game. Everything has been detailed down in game so EA can sell you add-ons later and rape you even more on a 80 dollar game. City size are tiny, maybe a tenth of what they were in SC4, no subways, interstates are already on the map and in horrible places, no way to control taxes onI still play SC4, and pre-ordered this piece of crap. Graphics and game play are like a retarded Facebook game. Everything has been detailed down in game so EA can sell you add-ons later and rape you even more on a 80 dollar game. City size are tiny, maybe a tenth of what they were in SC4, no subways, interstates are already on the map and in horrible places, no way to control taxes on things to prevent air pollution (for people to use mass transit) no way to build entertainment buildings or special buildings, only parks. OH and did I mention the graphics suck big time. Not what you would expect for a 2013 game release. Farmville quality stuff here. IM running dual 680GTX cards in my desktop and it looks the same as my 2003 dell inspiron 8500 with a on board POS graphics card. I retuned it so one less person on there servers. Expand

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Jun 5, 2013
    Given enough patches and DCLs, SimCity might eventually become the game that should have been on its release and justify the ambiguous choices that its developers made. [May 2013]
  2. Games Master UK
    May 9, 2013
    Hints at great things but is limited by small cities and promises it can't deliver on. [June 2013, p.80]
  3. Hyper Magazine
    May 9, 2013
    There's more problems with this game than I have words. Looks great though. [June 2013, p.80]