2.2

1. Mar 7, 2013
    So I just bought this game with my hard earned money and just want to enjoy a night of SimCity on my day off. Guess what, oh yeah I can't play a single player game because EA's crappy servers won't let me. So what did I pay for? Not only are you shoving this DRM "social experience" crap down my throat but you won't even let me play a game on my own that I paid for? The game itself is alsoSo I just bought this game with my hard earned money and just want to enjoy a night of SimCity on my day off. Guess what, oh yeah I can't play a single player game because EA's crappy servers won't let me. So what did I pay for? Not only are you shoving this DRM "social experience" crap down my throat but you won't even let me play a game on my own that I paid for? The game itself is also bugged. Since you can't save due to server issues but also the game itself feels unfinished. The city maximum is SO SMALL! WHY?! Is it also due to server capacity?

This year seems to be the biggest debacle for gaming fans from EA. With microtransactions and now always online bullcrap. I was already skeptical of EA since you guys ruined Mass Effect and Dragon Age. I don't think I'll buy another piece of your crap products again.
  2. Mar 7, 2013
    What were they thinking?
    We tried to warn them to not do this "on-line only" but they refused to listen! Now they have a bunch of players who can't play the game because of connection issues. Never support this kind of DRM! It will just harm the consumer! They will shut down the servers in a few years and the players will be locked out.
    They should have made Sim City just like a normal
    What were they thinking?
    They should have made Sim City just like a normal game, but with multiplayer capabilities. Remember Sim City 2000 Network Edition? I don't know if it had a good multiplayer (I played the normal 2000), but it's close to what I am trying to describe.
    Come on! What's up with the city size? Why is it so small? Where are the huge cities from SC4? I was playing another city simulator game today and realized that the city I spent 30 minutes building already reached the same size as Sim City's.
    Good work EA! You guys destroyed many franchises I loved (C&C, Sim City, SWTOR, DA).
    I am giving this game a 1 because the "Sim Villages" looks cute from very far away.
  3. Mar 7, 2013
    I go and buy SimCity in a retail store... only to find out the only thing on the disk is actually something called "Origins", which apparently some kind of crappy steam wannabe. THE GAME IS NOT ON THE DISK! I have to download something like 13-14 GB of data, which is the actual game! YOU THINK THIS IS OKAY! DO YOU REALLY! NO WHERE ON THE BOX DOES IT SAY "GAME NOT INCLUDED: MUST BEI go and buy SimCity in a retail store... only to find out the only thing on the disk is actually something called "Origins", which apparently some kind of crappy steam wannabe. THE GAME IS NOT ON THE DISK! I have to download something like 13-14 GB of data, which is the actual game! YOU THINK THIS IS OKAY! DO YOU REALLY! NO WHERE ON THE BOX DOES IT SAY "GAME NOT INCLUDED: MUST BE DOWNLOADED. THIS IS JUST A GAME CLIENT HIDDEN IN THIS BOX."

After I wait the 4-ish hours it takes to download (clearly not using torrent-type installer... download way lower than max speeds for my connection). the game servers are full... unable to play.

last night at about midnight MST I was able to play... for about an hour. The game itself was... okay. Cities are smaller than even the original simcity. the game is fun... but not the "deepest simcity" it was touted as.

Then "Unable to sync with server". I have a feeling that my city didn't get saved on the so-called cloud servers though this morning I was unable to log in to check.

I filed a complaint with the BBB during lunch after again trying to log in and being unable to.
  4. Mar 7, 2013
    I think when the servers are up and running this game will be one of the best. But as of right now it is busted. I would suggest waiting on buying the game as of right now. if one has bought it and is not happy. dont bother trying to go to EA for a refund they will just deny you. I would call your credit card company and ask for a Charge Back. Its to bad EA is greedy they could of had aI think when the servers are up and running this game will be one of the best. But as of right now it is busted. I would suggest waiting on buying the game as of right now. if one has bought it and is not happy. dont bother trying to go to EA for a refund they will just deny you. I would call your credit card company and ask for a Charge Back. Its to bad EA is greedy they could of had a great game. Would have worked allot better with Steam. Expand
  5. Mar 7, 2013
    Game has been unplayable since launch. Dont buy this game until EA gets their heads out of their nether regions. I did successfully log in for about 20 minutes before I went to work the day it launched and it was fun for that 20 minutes so I give it a 1.
  6. Mar 7, 2013
    It's probably a great game, but for me it's ruined by the inability to actually play the game. Since the release in Europe i have only been able to play on the same city twice. The other times i have tried to log on there's been problems with the servers.
  7. Mar 7, 2013
    I am a big fan of the Sims and Sim City and would love to give this game a higher score. But as I am waiting to be able to play it due to no fault of my own I can not do this. The unnecessary always online policy is killing the fun in this game due to massive server issues. Why was this necessary in the first place? I understand that EAs Execs are scared to the bone of piracy but making aI am a big fan of the Sims and Sim City and would love to give this game a higher score. But as I am waiting to be able to play it due to no fault of my own I can not do this. The unnecessary always online policy is killing the fun in this game due to massive server issues. Why was this necessary in the first place? I understand that EAs Execs are scared to the bone of piracy but making a game "no fun" is not the solution. Expand
  8. Mar 7, 2013
    The game itself is good,actually it is great.I dont mind the addition of "multiplayer" but the always online has made the game not playable.I am not a computer gamer and this has definetly ruined any chance of me buying another one that requires always on internet.The customer service from EA has soured me on them.I will never buy another EA game.i advised a friend of mine who is an avidThe game itself is good,actually it is great.I dont mind the addition of "multiplayer" but the always online has made the game not playable.I am not a computer gamer and this has definetly ruined any chance of me buying another one that requires always on internet.The customer service from EA has soured me on them.I will never buy another EA game.i advised a friend of mine who is an avid simcity player not to buy the game,at least not now, due to the inability to play.If I could return it I definetly would but the gaming industry as a whole has prevented this.I worked hard and saved my money for this game and its gone without an apology or any offer of compensation from the manufacturer about this fiasco.So to summarize please dont buy this game no matter how good it is when you play, it is impossible to even play it. Expand
  9. Mar 7, 2013
    Don't buy the game right now. 1 point for the game that maybe is good. 0 point for servers that are constantly too busy. I have not played the game yet but used a lot of time waiting, waiting, waiting...
  10. Mar 7, 2013
    I was able to play the game for approximately 14 minutes from a possible 7 hours of attempting to connect. Unfortunately the incompetence of the powers that be mean that I was able to only place one residential zone before connection to the servers was lost. The score of 1 is based on the fact that the game is literally unplayable. I have heard the word 'unplayable' bandied round withI was able to play the game for approximately 14 minutes from a possible 7 hours of attempting to connect. Unfortunately the incompetence of the powers that be mean that I was able to only place one residential zone before connection to the servers was lost. The score of 1 is based on the fact that the game is literally unplayable. I have heard the word 'unplayable' bandied round with many games in the past but I have never seen it to be more of a reality than with SimCity. Horrible game that may possibly have many features but who knows? Expand
  11. Mar 7, 2013
    Not sure how any professional review can give this game a 10/10. Reviews should be taking game features into account, and considering the biggest feature of SimCity is it's Online mode, a 10 is laughable. So all of those 10s you see are coming from bad journalists who aren't doing their jobs correctly., just so you know because the game is good, but doesn't work. Quite honestly, SimCityNot sure how any professional review can give this game a 10/10. Reviews should be taking game features into account, and considering the biggest feature of SimCity is it's Online mode, a 10 is laughable. So all of those 10s you see are coming from bad journalists who aren't doing their jobs correctly., just so you know because the game is good, but doesn't work. Quite honestly, SimCity could be the greatest game of all time, but you'd never know it unless you are lucky enough to get past the gauntlet of problems caused by poor development decisions. I'd stay far away from this game until they do an overhaul on the system. Expand
  12. Mar 7, 2013
    As a Simcity player since the early 90's, it seriously pains me to write this review. I also helped develop much of the modding infrastructure for Simcity 4, so I thought this game was a no-brainer.

Unfortunately, it's currently a paperweight. I don't know what to say. I bought two copies, so my wife and I could play the game together. Social city building with friends is touted as the reason for the online component. Never have we been able to login at the same time, on the same server. There are constant bugs that crash you at some point during the login process regardless. I have been able to get into my first city 2 times after hours of trying, for about 10 minutes each.

Not only this, but you can't switch servers without losing your cities BY DESIGN, and if you get disconnected from the internet, you lose all your work from that session.

I can't even comment on the thing because I can't play it. It's too broken.

To quote other people, what they should have done is made Simcity 4 with better graphics and some of the mods from the last 10 years included. It would have been a far better experience, and it would actually be playable.
  13. Mar 8, 2013
    To EA staff reading this, it is completely fair for us to judge your games for the first 15 minutes, and since I haven't been able to log in for 2 whole days now, I think it's fair to say I've had enough!

I've been a game designer for 20+ years and this is why games my studio creates doesn't require an "always on connection". In fact, I'd fire the person who even suggests it at my studio.

Games are supposed to be low barrier to entry, all users want, is to play the game straight after installation.
  14. Mar 7, 2013
    I purchased this game on Tuesday and have not been able to log into the game as the servers constantly kick me off when I try to log on. I understand that there is an online requirement to play this game, however it is disingenuous to "sell" a game or even a service and not be able to fulfill your portion of a sale. I didn't purchase a game to play it a week from now, I purchased the gameI purchased this game on Tuesday and have not been able to log into the game as the servers constantly kick me off when I try to log on. I understand that there is an online requirement to play this game, however it is disingenuous to "sell" a game or even a service and not be able to fulfill your portion of a sale. I didn't purchase a game to play it a week from now, I purchased the game to play it now. It almost feels like EA knows that they would have had issues but are unwilling to contribute resources for a smooth launch, instead they are waiting to see what the demand is and adjust accordingly. This in my opinion is why this publisher has failed in my eyes. Third day since purchasing the game, yet zero time playing because of access issues. Expand
  15. Mar 7, 2013
    Getting ridiculous. I wasn't even planning to buy this game but my friends talked me into it. Single player games has no reason of needing online connections, I actually buy all my games and i'm getting screwed over!
  16. CFZ
    Mar 7, 2013
    This game is very limited in scope and ability. Instead of focusing on what made SimCity great, they decided to focus on multiplayer only. Which gave them the "excuse" to implement online-only DRM. Small land sizes which turns what SHOULD be cities into towns, no terrain editing, no local saving, limited abilities services for your city (town), and no offline mode. The problems go on andThis game is very limited in scope and ability. Instead of focusing on what made SimCity great, they decided to focus on multiplayer only. Which gave them the "excuse" to implement online-only DRM. Small land sizes which turns what SHOULD be cities into towns, no terrain editing, no local saving, limited abilities services for your city (town), and no offline mode. The problems go on and on; filled with bugs and broken online systems. Please, do NOT buy this poor excuse of a game. This is NOT SimCity. Expand
  17. Mar 8, 2013
    -1 point for the graphical aspect of the game including animations making your city really beautiful and living.
    -0 for the launch, the always connected "thing", the size of the maps, the friends system not working, the arrogance of Maxis, and the "The Simsization" of the game making it more casual
  18. Mar 8, 2013
    When I began SimCity, the few first minutes were good, but it's not the sequel what I needed, as a SimCity's fan there are too many server crashes, seize of a map is ridicilous (seriously, it's a bad joke), you can't play without to be connected to Origin (also a bad joke). So if you don't buy the game realy, what does it cost so much? EA and Maxis can to be sure of this I will not buyWhen I began SimCity, the few first minutes were good, but it's not the sequel what I needed, as a SimCity's fan there are too many server crashes, seize of a map is ridicilous (seriously, it's a bad joke), you can't play without to be connected to Origin (also a bad joke). So if you don't buy the game realy, what does it cost so much? EA and Maxis can to be sure of this I will not buy their DLC and others games of them. Expand
  19. Mar 8, 2013
    Horrible "always on" DRM. Unable to save game at will, if it crashes or internet is gone you lose your progress in the game. Ultra tiny maps, no comparison to old versions of the game. plus 59€ for a PC game. are you kidding me? :O

i want to love this game, but i can not.
  20. Mar 2, 2014
    SimCity is a great idea with a bad engine.
    Maxis is an innovative developer with an evil publisher.
    So what does this mean? The engine is rubbish because it can't simulate a city. Each citizen lives in the nearest free home in relation to his position at the moment he wants to go home. Thus each citizen lives each day in a different home and because every citizen does this, there is
    SimCity is a great idea with a bad engine.
    Maxis is an innovative developer with an evil publisher.

So what does this mean?
    The engine is rubbish because it can't simulate a city.
    Thus each citizen lives each day in a different home and because every citizen does this, there is always a huge traffic jam, because every citizen goes to the same home, than to the next and so on.
    This is also true for work, shopping etc.
    In conclusion the roads ware always full and a city with more than 10.000 people (which aren't exactly 10.000 units, more 100 or so) will not work, the jams will hold your trucks which are needed for your production line. Of course, fire trucks and the other public service cars will stuck in traffic too. They don't get an extra lane, the even have to wait if the lights are red and no car will make room for them. Thus your city will burn down. Because of the engine, every truck will drive to the next fire, not to a fire with no truck already moving in.

But never the less this game is fun to play, until you notice, that you can't optimize the roads and your public service because of the broken engine.

So if this was it, I would give this game a 4 or 5 out of 10, because it will take you a while to notice.

But EA lied about this game and is still lying because the are selling it as a simulation of a city. But this game does not simulate anything.
    The even bring out DLCs and AddOn which make the problems worse or are simply overprices and/or bring ingame advertising with them instead of fixing the engine (maybe it's not possible).
    The maps are ridicule small sized and the DRM is a pain, because the benefits (trade with neighbor cities) are not working proper.

So I give this game a 1, it is more a 0 but if you naively think that your city planing is the issue, like me, it is fun to play a while until you notice the limits of this fake simulation engine ;)
  21. Mar 8, 2013
    I've been playing games for 20 years. This is the most expensive game I've ever bought. And the worst experience ever. Have sat and waited for hours to play. What a load of rubbish
  22. Mar 8, 2013
    First of all, I have NEVER written a game review in my 36 years of gaming. I tried to put all the hate comments aside and bought it on day one. I actually played a few hours before my first disconnection. Since then, it has been nothing but frustration. Disconnects, lost data, game elements removed, and complete disappointment. The game itself is good, but all the issues that I haveFirst of all, I have NEVER written a game review in my 36 years of gaming. I tried to put all the hate comments aside and bought it on day one. I actually played a few hours before my first disconnection. Since then, it has been nothing but frustration. Disconnects, lost data, game elements removed, and complete disappointment. The game itself is good, but all the issues that I have experienced since purchasing have completely taken away any joy I have had. If you are going to purchase this game, wait until the issues are resolved as it is completely unplayable right now. Expand
  23. Mar 8, 2013
    Great game when you can play. I had no problems on launch day other than a random restart. Since then I cant play mostly because the servers keep crashing. Even better yet if I find a server that is working, then I get to go through tutorial again. You would think there would be file that would tell the server you have already done the tutorial, or even better yet a skip option.
  24. Mar 8, 2013
    I can no longer contain my frustration. Between the game's limited features vs previous titles and the nagging, persistent server issues causing both 1) inability to play the game and 2) severe data loss, this game has officially crossed the threshold into awful. They've had over three days to fix these problems and I know that FedEx and UPS can deliver some servers within that time frame.I can no longer contain my frustration. Between the game's limited features vs previous titles and the nagging, persistent server issues causing both 1) inability to play the game and 2) severe data loss, this game has officially crossed the threshold into awful. They've had over three days to fix these problems and I know that FedEx and UPS can deliver some servers within that time frame. Give me a break. Expand
  25. Mar 8, 2013
    SimCity is unfortunately plagued with problems both to it's infrastructure and gameplay. The always online DRM and abysmal server support have resulted in a net of 2 hours played this week for myself. Even then, my city was entirely lost due to a game freeze and a lack of architecture in when the game saves your progress. Regarding gameplay, the city size limitation is quite small, notSimCity is unfortunately plagued with problems both to it's infrastructure and gameplay. The always online DRM and abysmal server support have resulted in a net of 2 hours played this week for myself. Even then, my city was entirely lost due to a game freeze and a lack of architecture in when the game saves your progress. Regarding gameplay, the city size limitation is quite small, not allowing for a sprawling metropolis that covers the face of all digital creation. If you're interested in city building and management that's a bit more free form, go back to Sim City 4. Expand
  26. Mar 8, 2013
    I registered here solely to come and join the rally against always on DRM. I am 100% fine with a publisher verifying I purchased the game I am trying to play. But why oh why would they need to do this 100% of the time? This isn't the matrix we're not all connected every single second of every day. I buy single player games just for the purpose of playing on trains, buses, on airports,I registered here solely to come and join the rally against always on DRM. I am 100% fine with a publisher verifying I purchased the game I am trying to play. But why oh why would they need to do this 100% of the time? This isn't the matrix we're not all connected every single second of every day. I buy single player games just for the purpose of playing on trains, buses, on airports, when I'm abroad, etc. So I will NEVER buy this game as long as they insist on always-on DRM. Expand
  27. Mar 8, 2013
    If you can connect to the server and play, the game itself is great: deep, but with very useful interfaces. However, being able to play only 5% of the time can't be justified. If you are reading this 6 months after release and the server is stable, this game is easily a 9.
  28. Mar 8, 2013
    I love SimCity series buying the game, I really thought long waiting behind but the trouble! Paying money for this game, all the time since its launch on the market, I have not played it it's why I put one ball.I no desire now even include it in the near vremya.EA undermined my confidence specifically! Agee first Dragon 2 then Medal of Honor 2012 Now SimCity
  29. Mar 8, 2013
    map way too small, no farming, some sims complaning about shopping but other sims are happy with shopping. I think maxis just programmed sims to whine about it so we can keep building stuff and never end with the game itself. can't even play the game.
  30. Mar 8, 2013
    Always on DRM ruins this single player game. Diablo 3 all over again. Had I known, which is admittedly my own fault for not researching this game more thoroughly, I wouldn't have bought it. The game was fun for the whole 2 hours I've been able to play it since launch.
  31. Mar 8, 2013
    Looks promising but one thing gets in the way of a good game Can't even play.. 4 days after release... Servers are always crashing down and city are not syncing..! Enough said.
  32. Mar 8, 2013
    While the load screen is clean and to the point, the lack of actual gameplay make this title hard to love. Perhaps it's my own fault for thinking that SimCity allows you to build a city, when in fact it seems to be nothing but a loading screen for a City-building game which is impossible to log into.
  33. Mar 8, 2013
    This is looking to be a trend with the gaming industry, forcing gamers to be online for games that are clearly single player games. In doing so, all they do is deter paying customers from playing the game. Diablo 3, Simcity, pretty sure there are others but these are the big ones. This should never have happened if the game was properly stress-tested and QAd, but the gaming industryThis is looking to be a trend with the gaming industry, forcing gamers to be online for games that are clearly single player games. In doing so, all they do is deter paying customers from playing the game. Diablo 3, Simcity, pretty sure there are others but these are the big ones. This should never have happened if the game was properly stress-tested and QAd, but the gaming industry doesn't care about their consumers anymore. This happens when big publishers like EA buy up all the intellectual properties and churn out games that are unfinished or locked and force you to pay them more to unlock them.
    If any companies did what the gaming industy did they would have a class action on their hands, but nope not here.
  34. Mar 8, 2013
    Pre-ordered the game and picked it up Tuesday. The "install" took over 2 hours because Origin's authentication servers were so bogged down. Since then I've managed to get logged in 3 times for a grand total of 90 minutes of playing.

First time I got the boot after 15 minutes. Second time, my entire first city was gone so I had to start over. I managed 45 minutes that time before I got booted off because of a server disconnect. Third time, I played for 30 minutes and actually logged off of my own accord. I've been met with queues and Server Busy or Full messages since then/

The game, when it runs, is decent looking. But small map size, traffic problems, regional resource sharing (as in you can't) and overall AI issues hamper the gameplay severely. Poorly handled launch, very poorly handled DRM and extremely poorly handled communication between EA and its (I'd imagine rapidly dwindling) fanbase mean this one leaves a very poor taste in your mouth.
  35. Mar 8, 2013
    My only gripe as far as gameplay is that the maps are small and cramped. Other than that it's an awesome game. It's these server issues that are annoying. I'll get put into a login queue for 20 minutes, then fail to connect and get put in another 20 minute queue. Then I get on and my city won't load and I'm forced to Alt+F4 and try again, potentially getting queued again. Then it sometimesMy only gripe as far as gameplay is that the maps are small and cramped. Other than that it's an awesome game. It's these server issues that are annoying. I'll get put into a login queue for 20 minutes, then fail to connect and get put in another 20 minute queue. Then I get on and my city won't load and I'm forced to Alt+F4 and try again, potentially getting queued again. Then it sometimes loads but a half hour into playing the game, I'm told that my city isn't processing properly and I'm given the choice of reverting to an earlier copy or abandoning the city all together. Thus, progress has been slow. I normally refuse to by "always online" games (excluding MMOs) but it's freakin' SimCity! So I took a chance. Wish I had waited. I can honestly say that I will never again buy a game with this type of DRM. It's just not worth it, not even for SimCity. If I knew this is how it was going to be, I would have just stuck with SC4 or looked into some indie city simulation games. Expand
  36. Mar 8, 2013
    Having played the game for an hour before it crashed, I was impressed by the depth, the lightness of touch and the the balance between small cities and wider regions. The online features look good, if unnecessary. However, none of that is really important. Despite what could be a strong game, the complete ineptitude of the roll out has basically ruined this one. To play for an hour, itHaving played the game for an hour before it crashed, I was impressed by the depth, the lightness of touch and the the balance between small cities and wider regions. The online features look good, if unnecessary. However, none of that is really important. Despite what could be a strong game, the complete ineptitude of the roll out has basically ruined this one. To play for an hour, it took me 6 times that to log in. The completely idiotic mix of an always on solution without a decent server selection, for what was clearly going to be a huge release, has basically shafted this one. I would asked for my money back, but EA have helpfully also not got an adequate server for that either.... Expand
  37. Mar 8, 2013
    Worst crash since the Challenger!!!! EA I would like my $78.00 back!!!!!! First time ever reviewing a game signed up just so I could post here. EA should refund everyone!!!!!!!
  38. Mar 9, 2013
    This user rating is proof that the critics are on EA's payroll. How could the critics ratings be so far off of the consumers? This is the second time I have personally seen EA get amazing ratings for a garbage game. I am sorry that Maxis was sold off to EA. They will go down in history as the simulation trail blazers. Unfortunately, their money hungry master has tarnished the Maxis nameThis user rating is proof that the critics are on EA's payroll. How could the critics ratings be so far off of the consumers? This is the second time I have personally seen EA get amazing ratings for a garbage game. I am sorry that Maxis was sold off to EA. They will go down in history as the simulation trail blazers. Unfortunately, their money hungry master has tarnished the Maxis name for me forever. Expand
  39. Mar 8, 2013
    What a waste of time. Totally annoyed with this game so far. Why turn gold into fools' gold by making it online only with horrible servers. Hope they fix this.
  40. Mar 8, 2013
    EA What a bunch of incompetent neanderthals! Kicking myself for wasting my money for a product that does not work, and a company that does not care. Your Lame!
  41. Mar 8, 2013
    Actually Can't get on the game.. even when it says I am connected and try to play it then drops connection to the servers constantly.. tried all night and couldn't get on.. will try again tomorrow but I'm not hopeful!
  42. Mar 8, 2013
    I pre-ordered the game and since Tuesday, I havent played for more than 2 hours... but tried connecting for about 20 Now its friday, and servers are still all busy and been waiting an hour in front of my screen for the game to load... This is ridiculous that you can only play the game online. Additionally, maps are very small. Within 30 minutes, you can easily finish a city. Graphics areI pre-ordered the game and since Tuesday, I havent played for more than 2 hours... but tried connecting for about 20 Now its friday, and servers are still all busy and been waiting an hour in front of my screen for the game to load... This is ridiculous that you can only play the game online. Additionally, maps are very small. Within 30 minutes, you can easily finish a city. Graphics are generally good, but still a lot of bugs to fix, especially roads that get blended into the surronding environment. They took out a lot of important features such as customization of terrain and glitches occur with services and trades between cities. All in all, I give this game a 2 out 10 for not only the current problems, but also because of the lack of professionalism on behalf of EA/MAXIS. Updates are few on their forums and they erase bad comments from Facebook... and BEWARE of certain reviews, they have paid certain people in different countries to post positive comments... a really unprofessional company... Expand
  43. Mar 8, 2013
    Silly me for not reading the reviews first but I thought it was a fair assumption that with 20 more years of computer gaming technology behind us that this game would be truly amazing given how great the old sim cities were. So in my excitement I bought it. I am so disappointed on 4 blatantly obvious factors:
    1/ I can't get in most the time this 100% reliance on the internet is a
    1/ I can't get in most the time this 100% reliance on the internet is a disgrace.
    2/ SimCity takes up a lot of time.....make saving the game easy and minimise the risk of losing all your work please! This is crucial for the SimCity game.
    3/ I couldn't give a rat's arse about multi player....I just love being immersed in my own city so scrap the need for me to use the internet please!
    3/ This shouldn't be called SimCity call it SimVillage.....give me a big metropolis to build like the other ones! Not a tiny little box to build in! It looks completely stupid.

What a complete waste of my time and money. After being so excited (the most I ever have about a game) I am left wondering how the hell could they stuff this up so much.....what an anti-climax.
  44. Mar 24, 2013
    Another game that could have been sooo good, but ended up boring and lame......and its EA to blame !!

I really wanted to like this game, but after som hours playing i dont feel like playing it anymore.

Last game i'll ever preorder ever again
  45. Mar 8, 2013
    The game is impossible to score without taking into account the miserable DRM (always connected to EA-servers, in so many words). Since the servers are totally overloaded, information about your single-player cities is lost and the game is barely even playable due to connection issues, server hiccups etc. There is no reason what so ever to buy this game at this time and I stronglyThe game is impossible to score without taking into account the miserable DRM (always connected to EA-servers, in so many words). Since the servers are totally overloaded, information about your single-player cities is lost and the game is barely even playable due to connection issues, server hiccups etc. There is no reason what so ever to buy this game at this time and I strongly recommend reading IGN:s continuing reporting on these and other Sim City related issues. Also I recommend buying the game physically rather than over Origin, due to EA:s EUA. Sim City (5) may well become a great game once all the server-issues are solved but until then it is not worth buying and I only wish I had more patience but here I am a few shorter with a non-functioning product. Expand
  46. Mar 8, 2013
    An absolutely awesome city building game, if only it didn't have so many ongoing issues. Purchased this product on release day and have dealt with nothing but freezes, failure to connect to server messages, never ending countdown timers, and disconnects. What's really starting to piss me off is when an available server is selected and it states my game is ready, but then it only loads asAn absolutely awesome city building game, if only it didn't have so many ongoing issues. Purchased this product on release day and have dealt with nothing but freezes, failure to connect to server messages, never ending countdown timers, and disconnects. What's really starting to piss me off is when an available server is selected and it states my game is ready, but then it only loads as far as the main menu where, you guess it disconnect. I swear EA thinks this game is like their other first-person shooters where all gamers have to do is just switch servers. Wrong! Some of us actually want to continue building our cities instead of constantly having to restart from the ground up. I've also lost two good sized cities due to server disconnects and many smaller ones that just disappeared into the cloud. I can't in good conscience recommend this game to anyone including my worst enemy. However, if you like not being able to play a game you rightfully paid for, enjoy slamming your head against a wall until unconscious. Expand
  47. Mar 9, 2013
    EZ, simple review here: Bought the game and paid $60 for me and another $60 shot for my son... thinking father and son game play, right? WRONG! 4 days later, still no servers available, network down, lost connections. In short not ready for prime time.
    **They even had a beta period to test this thing unbelievable screw up on many fronts. The game is just not ready save your money.
    What I have been able to see graphics are stunning and game play looks great if it works. City sizes are limited and small too bad, and offline mode is a must. Wont ever buy a game with this platform again and will definatelt think hard and probably decide against anything with EA on it On top of all the issues, they disabled your ability to contact them for help. Pathetic.
  48. Mar 10, 2013
    Piece of crap. I just lost my 5h city and since then i can't even login into that damned thing. Last night i managed to play for entire of 15min before it disconnected me from server. WASTED MONEY don't buy it!. Fok you EA!
  49. Mar 10, 2013
    El juego en si esta excelente (en el tiempo que pude jugar), pero los malditos servidores dejan de hacer su trabajo y adiós todo lo que hice en mas de 4 horas, en verdad eso si es muy frustrante.
    A ver si los de EA se ponen las pilas y ya resuelven este problema o de plano quiero mi dinero de vuelta.... y pues volver a Simcity 4 jajajaja
  50. Mar 10, 2013
    As a HUGE SimCity fan, this game is an insult. No terraforming, 2km of space, (Which for a SimCity game, is really small.) FIRST DAY EXPANSIONS, and always online drm. If you want an online SimCity game, just go play SimCity 2000: Network edition. Don't wast money on this crap.
  51. Mar 10, 2013
    It's all been said. A great city building game for anyone who doesn't like playing city building games. It has far more in common with Simcity Societies than Simcity4.
  52. Mar 10, 2013
    Score of 2 is based on +8 for the game, -4 for EA/Origin (2 average). It's sad that a very good game has been greatly negatively impacted by technological problems on their end which should never have been an issue for a single-player game. What makes this worse is EA's response, which at one point fell to the level of blaming players for playing the game too much.

In the end, it

In the end, it boils down to a few key points:
    1) DRM is anti-consumer. It works for games like MMOs that are inherently always online, but it does not work for games meant to be single player even if it has multi-player elements.
    2) Forcing customers to play a certain way (always online, forcing multi-player, etc) results in a poor experience.
    3) NEVER NEVER NEVER purchase an EA/Origin or any DRM game without waiting 2 weeks post-release so you can read reviews on metacritic/destructoid/kotaku/etc. Paying $60 for something that causes more stress/frustration than enjoyment is not a good thing.

Remember the only way we can make our voices heard is through sites like this and our wallets. So voice your opinions and stop purchasing their products.
  53. Mar 10, 2013
    One of the first games I played on PC was the original Simcity. That has been my favorite game of all time and it grew into the whole series of Sim games including SimFarm, SimEarth, and SimAnt to name a few. When I first heard about another Simcity coming out, I was so overjoyed that I actually downloaded Origin and preordered the Limited Edition against my better judgement. On theOne of the first games I played on PC was the original Simcity. That has been my favorite game of all time and it grew into the whole series of Sim games including SimFarm, SimEarth, and SimAnt to name a few. When I first heard about another Simcity coming out, I was so overjoyed that I actually downloaded Origin and preordered the Limited Edition against my better judgement. On the day this game came out, my heart got stuffed into a wood chipper. This game has failed on many levels of trying to live up to it's past history. Most of the fan base that has followed SimCity through the ages grew up on the single player mode of making your own mega-city. This game with it's "regions" should be renamed to SimTown. The areas in which you build your "town" are as small as the original SimCity. Nothing like SimCity 4 (which I have reinstalled to play in order to get over my heartache). The game tries it's darn best to force to play with other people in order to share resources between "towns". This right now is bugged 6 ways to Sunday with people constantly dropping off or causing an action that can easily destroy your "town". The 0-day content already being offered makes it seem like EA is already going to nickle and dime gamers in order to add more content (The Sims 2 and 3). Then we get into the nuts and bolts of the game. The DRM is a real killer for this game. You have no hard drive saves of your game at all. All the saves are cloud saves and if the server has a hiccup, your hard earned "towns" are gone for all of time. This "towns" can only be stored on the server you use them on and can't be transferred at all. If EA decides to get rid of the servers, this game then becomes UNPLAYABLE for the rest of time. The line trotted out by the development team that most of the calculations are done on the server and that's why gamers need to be always connected to their servers is just making the gamers mad because they believe that all EA wants is DRM on all the future games and don't want to say it out loud. This is just bad PR on their part. The only thing that prevented the score from being zero was the music was just right for a SimCity game and that was the only saving grace(not much of one). Congratulations EA, you have just destroyed a historic and treasured game series with a game that has cemented the view of many gamers that you are now the Evil Empire. Expand
  54. Mar 10, 2013
    So I had to give it at least a one on the score, but that is only because for the brief moments I have been able to play it was the Sim city game. Though this is not worth $60 and if I knew that I had to wait sometimes over an hour to just begin to play I would not have never bought this. My husband and I both bought it because we though we could play together but that has yet to happenSo I had to give it at least a one on the score, but that is only because for the brief moments I have been able to play it was the Sim city game. Though this is not worth $60 and if I knew that I had to wait sometimes over an hour to just begin to play I would not have never bought this. My husband and I both bought it because we though we could play together but that has yet to happen since the servers are constantly too busy and there is always an error in connection.

Major Fail on EA's part. I get everyone wants to do the next big thing and on line is the next thing but it sucks to be forced to play only on line. If I am going to play solo than let me play and not make me connect. I want my money back and will never be buying any game that is on line only and will never buy another Sim City game again.

I have heard rumors that to make up for the terrible experience that a free game will be given but I don't want some pre-picked game that is probably going to suck as well. Just give us a refund or at least a free game or games up to $40-$60 of our choice.

Don't waste your money and if you really want it wait until they fix all the problems. Though that might be never cause the internet is not reliable and servers usually crash when so many people try to play something at once
  55. Mar 10, 2013
    the two biggest problems I found with this game that goes hand in hand is the forced Online connection need to support the DRM.
    the other factor is no bloody single player, sorry I don't want to play with others, I want to build a massive city and then make robots attack it like the old simcity.

how hard is it to copy/clone the old version of the game and make it with a new engine and doll it up...

the EA CEO needs to be fired or/and dragged into the street and horse whipped for this.

thank god I didn't buy this game, I got it for free and I feel like EA should be paying me to play it.

EA CEO needs be dragged out on the street and beaten with
  56. Mar 11, 2013
    Continue to play simcity 4. This version is better graphically, but gameplay is zero: the maps are tiny, disasters can not be disabled. Big disappointment, and a sense of myself cheated
  57. Mar 12, 2013
    One of the most frustrating experience I ever had. Can't change my "game name", can't join to region, even can't play my saved cities if servers are unaccessible. SimCity franchise is now dead for me, after 'SimCity Societes' and this piece of... something I will never buy this title again.
  58. Mar 12, 2013
    While not a "complete" waste of time, the latest version of SimCity is definitely not worth whatever Electronic Arts is asking for it. The "always-online" DRM requirement alone is a deal breaker. When you add to that the extremely limited city size and the severe reduction of the open-ended experience that characterised previous versions, I would not recommend the game even if it wereWhile not a "complete" waste of time, the latest version of SimCity is definitely not worth whatever Electronic Arts is asking for it. The "always-online" DRM requirement alone is a deal breaker. When you add to that the extremely limited city size and the severe reduction of the open-ended experience that characterised previous versions, I would not recommend the game even if it were free. It looks like Civitas (find it on Kickstarter) is going to represent the future of city simulations. Do not waste your time or money on the 2013 SimCity. Expand
  59. Mar 12, 2013
    This game is a mess. It's a mélange of poorly implemented bad ideas. For starters it's designed around region play. So you get to build a city and trade resources and services with other cities. That's a pretty good idea, and it was implemented rather successfully in Simcity 4, so it makes sense to add an online multiplayer aspect to that portion of the game. However, intercity tradeThis game is a mess. It's a mélange of poorly implemented bad ideas. For starters it's designed around region play. So you get to build a city and trade resources and services with other cities. That's a pretty good idea, and it was implemented rather successfully in Simcity 4, so it makes sense to add an online multiplayer aspect to that portion of the game. However, intercity trade is horribly buggy. You can initiate trade with another city and not see the results of this for several hours. Given that this mechanic is the foundation of the game's required online component, it's terrible execution severely damages the game from the outset.

Beyond that, the act of building up your own city features a wealth of bugs and poor design decisions as well. The agent-based simulation, while a cool idea, is extremely processor intensive. The average computer this game is designed for simply cannot handle enough agents to accurately simulate a city. Working within that constraint, Maxis has given us the smallest city maps to date for the franchise. They've said that they're the size of Simcity 4's medium maps, but in game this simply does not seem to be the case. You will run out of room, and despite what others have said, this is not a fun challenge to overcome. To make matters worse the regions have huge spaces between cities that mock your overcrowded city map and cause a fully developed region to look ridiculous in the process.

Additionally, the resource extraction and utilization mechanic is a truly odd addition to the franchise. I suppose in Soviet Russia it makes sense for a city to run a television factory, but it is simply out of place in Simcity. It would have made infinitely more sense to require the mayor of a resource-rich city to balance business, industrial, and environmental from a governmental perspective instead of allowing the player to open their own mining operation. Also, once the supply chain is set up selling electronics is game-breakingly profitable, to the tune of millions of simoleons per day.

I won't go into detail on the issue of DRM, but suffice it to say the forced online component would be a bad idea even if it worked properly. However, this game would also fail as a single-player game, so there really isn't anything of value lost due to the always-online restriction.
  60. Mar 12, 2013
    The game is fundamentally flawed. Both in design, concept and execution. Beyond the frankly unforgivable server issues at launch, the ridiculousness of online only gameplay for a single player experience, and the apualing response from EA. There are many issues with the game that run very deep into the core of its design, most of which frustratingly become noticeable after sinking (orThe game is fundamentally flawed. Both in design, concept and execution. Beyond the frankly unforgivable server issues at launch, the ridiculousness of online only gameplay for a single player experience, and the apualing response from EA. There are many issues with the game that run very deep into the core of its design, most of which frustratingly become noticeable after sinking (or wasting) several hours playing. The biggest grip I am seeing from people though is that the map size is too small. I agree, it soon becomes apparent that your most important resource by far is space to build. My fond childhood memories of build large sprawling metropolises and micro managing down to the finest details have been completely tarnished. This reboot is nothing short of an insult to the SimCity franchise and all those involved should be ashamed. (Unfortunately as we all know EA never learns) Expand
  61. Mar 12, 2013
    This game was a pain at launch, we all know that by now. But don't worry because when you're actually able to get into it, it's actually... mediocre. It's not as good as the reviewers make it, to be honest i'd like my money back, it's pretty to look at but the mechanics are simply broken. It was made so you'd have some choice to how you'd like to build your city, but it feels like there'sThis game was a pain at launch, we all know that by now. But don't worry because when you're actually able to get into it, it's actually... mediocre. It's not as good as the reviewers make it, to be honest i'd like my money back, it's pretty to look at but the mechanics are simply broken. It was made so you'd have some choice to how you'd like to build your city, but it feels like there's only one REAL path to make. it's a unfinished game, don't buy it. Expand
  62. Mar 14, 2013
    Don't buy this game (at least until they fix it or modders do)! It's ridden with server problems and bugs galore. After logging in, the available regions that others play play on are all full or bugged, so you can only play with friends (which they have to be on the same server) or by yourself. Achievements are only carried on the server you play. When you do play with other people, theDon't buy this game (at least until they fix it or modders do)! It's ridden with server problems and bugs galore. After logging in, the available regions that others play play on are all full or bugged, so you can only play with friends (which they have to be on the same server) or by yourself. Achievements are only carried on the server you play. When you do play with other people, the server is so laggy that even talking in chat, there's a 10-30 second delay. The game is stupidly simple, it doesn't have the same complexity as previous versions. This game was not ready nor properly tested for launch, don't buy it! Expand
  63. Mar 12, 2013
    massive screwup from EA and Maxis. First the servers were screwed, then after playing for about 20hrs each of my cities ends up bugged and I cant play them anymore. Never again will I preorder a EA game. Such a shame this had so much potential...
  64. Mar 13, 2013
    This game is a error! I dont understand why someone would buy an abomination like simcity when there is CITY XL as an alternative. I dont get why people persist in keep pay for sofhouses like EA who dont give a for his customer and continualy launches horrible games like this. I dont have buyed this game, cause I refuse to pay for a game with DRM, but other keep funding craps likeThis game is a error! I dont understand why someone would buy an abomination like simcity when there is CITY XL as an alternative. I dont get why people persist in keep pay for sofhouses like EA who dont give a for his customer and continualy launches horrible games like this. I dont have buyed this game, cause I refuse to pay for a game with DRM, but other keep funding craps like simcity!
    Why complain, you all deserve this
  65. Mar 13, 2013
    I will be generous and give this game 1 point because it could possibly be a good game if it somehow happened to work properly. I seriously have had more issues with this game than any other game I've played in my 20+ years of gaming. In the beginning the servers were overcrowded to the point that you couldn't even play the game. And, even if you could play, all progress was sure to beI will be generous and give this game 1 point because it could possibly be a good game if it somehow happened to work properly. I seriously have had more issues with this game than any other game I've played in my 20+ years of gaming. In the beginning the servers were overcrowded to the point that you couldn't even play the game. And, even if you could play, all progress was sure to be lost because it would fail to upload your game to cloud. After they added more servers the game started working properly for about a day, then many more bugs started to pop up. As of now, out of all of the regions to choose from, I'm only able to find one region type to play on publicly and that is Titan Gorge. It's frustrated me so much that I've decided to return or hopefully sell the game to someone (for a loss of course) after all the problems I've been required to face. I recommend anyone out there that does not like being robbed or swindled out of their hard earned money to refrain from buying this game. You will literally feel nothing more than absolute disappointment if you choose to spend money on this pile of doo doo. Please recall that the score of 1 that I give this game is a very generous score considering all circumstances. Expand
  66. Mar 14, 2013
    While always-online DRM is irritating, it's not really a problem for me, as I have an Internet connection wherever I play games anyway. So I could live with that. I was totally fine with connection problems the first week, knowing it would stabilize later. If the simulation was even close to what was promised. After building a few 'cities' and you are done with the initial creativeWhile always-online DRM is irritating, it's not really a problem for me, as I have an Internet connection wherever I play games anyway. So I could live with that. I was totally fine with connection problems the first week, knowing it would stabilize later. If the simulation was even close to what was promised. After building a few 'cities' and you are done with the initial creative exploration, you really start to notice how simplified the simulation really is. Destroyed the whole experience for me. And I think it's too fundamental things for the developers to ever fix with patches. Going back to SimCity 4 and Tropico. Expand
  67. Mar 16, 2013
    A game with great potential broken due to a flawed server implementation. A lot of the old SimCity features were removed, and you are left with a limited feature set that is hamstrung by the broken inter-city working.
    I've stopped playing out of pure frustration.
  68. Mar 16, 2013
    A good game is lurking in here somewhere, but the DRM and huge amount of bugs and flaws ruin the experience completely forcing people to play multiplayer online and not offering a single player solution is ludicrous.

EA and maxis have been disproven a lot of times on what they said about the game having to connect to servers to do crucial computations to the games core, and still fail to admit they have been lying and misleading consumers to cover there own backs. Do not waste your money on this tragic waste of what could of been a great game.
  69. Mar 16, 2013
    Nothing but lies.

Here is a simulation game that does not sim anything. LIE Here is a single player game forcing you to play online, for DRM reasons. TRUE Here is a game that stated you had to play online for cpu reasons, LIE Here is a game that pays people to review it highly. TRUE Here is a game that is not broken but made to be "broken" TRUE Here is a game where
    Nothing but lies.

Here is a simulation game that does not sim anything. LIE

Here is a single player game forcing you to play online, for DRM reasons. TRUE

Here is a game that stated you had to play online for cpu reasons, LIE

Here is a game that pays people to review it highly. TRUE

Here is a game that is not broken but made to be "broken" TRUE

Here is a game where playing online is fun. LIE

There is nothing at all about this game that is what it said it is. This is not SimCity, this is a cash grab. There is no content to your game, there is no simulation, it is all false. SimCity 2000 had more Simulation components to it then this one does. This game is meant for building a city in a predetermined way, as set out by the developers.

Any simulation game wheres the game creators stat that building all residential and have a working game was there end goal is broken beyond repair.
  70. Mar 17, 2013
    Lost approximately 60 hours of playtime due to corrupt saves. Horrible AI, online play is broken in on online only game. Been lied to and spit upon. Rated a 1 for the amusement provided in the form of glitches and bugs.
  71. Mar 17, 2013
    I'm late to start this because of the bugs, have built 3 cities in single and now its bugging out. Can't switch citiies, sits there in loading limbo land..

Will never buy another EA product until a year after launch (to iron out any bugs) and then only when they're discounting it
  72. Mar 19, 2013
    I have a feeling that the residents in the city will increase beyond the things we do as mayor. I think the game mechanics are too simple and trivial!
  73. Mar 19, 2013
    First, I despise the fact I have to play this game online. I have all the simcities at home play them when I want and how I want. Now to the game.

I paid $79.99 for this? I have limited control. All the vehicles look the same. Land area is far too small. It is not realistic planning. I have SimCity 4 at home and have played it everyday since I bought it 8 years ago. I never grow tired of it. This "version" of SimCity is the ultimate fail. Yes, I like the graphics; but I was hoping for something even remotely similar to SimCity 4 only even better. Online play should be optional. This game would rock if it was SimCity 4 but with the new enhancements. I can't even construct my own buildings; plops etc. This version reminds me of SimCity on Facebook and it's free! ULTIMATE FAIL, EA! I want my money back.
  74. Mar 20, 2013
    Let me first note the positive: this is a scarily addictive, fun, radical, awesome, and epic game. I have played SimCity games in the past and they didn't hold my interest nearly as well SimCity 2000 was great, but SimCity is greater! ...except for this one little problem I've been having. You see, one of my first cities reached 190,000 populace and then I was booted from it and asked toLet me first note the positive: this is a scarily addictive, fun, radical, awesome, and epic game. I have played SimCity games in the past and they didn't hold my interest nearly as well SimCity 2000 was great, but SimCity is greater! ...except for this one little problem I've been having. You see, one of my first cities reached 190,000 populace and then I was booted from it and asked to roll it back or abandon it. I chose to roll it back. Instead, I ended up with 0 populace, 0 money. It was a painful loss but it happens, so I charged on! Another 190,000 city came and then thanks to some bad austerity-related decisions made by my co-Mayor, we ended up losing 80,000 populace and $1 million (thanks bonds and windfarm!), but we dredged our way back up to 200,000 and then... roll back or abandon.

Now, two weeks later, countless cities have had this problem. You know, I'm fairly easy to please with games, if they're fun and addictive, cool, cool. A few bugs? I'll stick it out. But you know, I at least expect a gaming company to have the common courtesy to release a game that is playable. SimCity almost made it. Almost. I never had the server issues common to others, everything ran absurdly smoothly from day one... except this. And it's not just 190,000 populace cities, my most recent loss was yesterday and it was a city of 50,000 that was doing way better monetarily and had way better social services than the prior ones, with delicate tax control that encouraged rapid population growth. With the population booming from 30,000 to over 50,000 in a matter of minutes, the error occurred. It's not just me, either. On the official EA forum, there is a 9-page thread on unlucky people like me who have experienced this repeatedly from day one. EA needs to get their act together and fix this mess. If they had put a little bit more quality control into this game, it could have been easily in 2013's top 5. Instead, it remains thus far at the bottom. For shame, EA, for shame.
  75. May 13, 2013
    Just goes to show you, trying to actively prevent piracy over giving someone a good game only encourages piracy. Why pay $60 dollars for a DRM bug ridden mess, when hackers have made it to where you can pirate the game for free and not be locked into the DRM.
  76. Mar 21, 2013
    Gave up. Hours of time wasted when I was booted and lost my game as it didnt save. Started a new game and was booted again after 2 hours with a "Simcity save corruption" error. EA refused a refund, instead told me to call a 1902 number which is charged at $2.50 per minute. I went to the bank and got my money back. Game was released 6 to 12 months too early.
  77. Mar 21, 2013
    Let's put aside all those server issues and the personal opinions on online DRM, other critics and reviews already said enough about them. Nevertheless I still have to say this game is not worth buying yet. You can compare SimCity with any MMO(RPG)'s of your choice, the game starts awful in every aspect, a heap of major game bugs, graphical issues and lack of content. As matters now standLet's put aside all those server issues and the personal opinions on online DRM, other critics and reviews already said enough about them. Nevertheless I still have to say this game is not worth buying yet. You can compare SimCity with any MMO(RPG)'s of your choice, the game starts awful in every aspect, a heap of major game bugs, graphical issues and lack of content. As matters now stand SimCity (or rather Maxis) needs time to fix this game to make it somewhat enjoyable. The first hour(s) of this new SimCity is actually awesome as you can see your city growing in full animation, however the following hour(s) are just a pain! Sooner or later you will encounter major game bugs killing all that fun you had the hour(s) before, for example a Giant Lizard, followed by a meteorite impact, tornado and an earthquake in just one hour game session destroying and contaminating a big part of your city. The contamination stays quite a while and the chance of another meteorite impact is higher than having your city cured. As a closing remark a list of major game bugs and graphical issues I found on the web:

Major game bugs: Not enough rain to refill water supply.
    - AI always takes the shortest route, never the fastest or best.
    - Recycling Centers can stop working, and once they do, they never start processing incoming materials again, and the collection trucks stop running.
    - Power/waste/water does not trade properly with region neighbors. City A can have huge excess for sale but city B may only be buying 10% of the excess and be short on power/waste/water. Ambulances are not being dispatched. You can look at the Health data map and don't see any ambulances.
    - No Railroad Discovery Delta has a city with no railroad connection but a railroad that stops at a bridge (the Island City) City to city trades (gift) are late, slow or not occurring at all. Frieght not being bought properly by region neighbors. Excess can be in city A and city B is not accepting it.
    - Excess workers not being employed properly by region neighbors. Excess workers can be in city A and city B is not employing them. AI services (fire, ambulances, recycle, garbo, police) don't get to region neighbors properly. Excess sik can be in city A and city B has ambo's doing nothing yet not getting them to hospital. May be related to traffic issues.
    - Regional roads causing MASSIVE congestion. Need ability to add regional roads. AI services (fire, ambulances, recycle, garbage, police) don't "cheat" around traffic and get around them.
    - Cars driving in circles with no reason.
    - Service cars (police, fire, dump, etc.) distribution seems off, they often drive in a pack which decreases the overall range.
    - Accidents aren't handled properly by emergency services. Great works do not update resource count until all players in the region exit. Additions to Great Hall do not translate over to the entire region. Build a department of transportation, but neighbors couldn't build train stations. Same with dept. of education as well. Sims not using mass transit well, filling streets, adding to traffic AI problems. Tourism fluctuation from 30,000 to 1000 for seemingly no reason. Some buildings not affecting entire region. Trade/Metals/Petroleum HQ upgrades don't all work. Sometimes roads can become completely broken and traffic gets indefinitely stuck on them. You need to delete the road to get the flow moving again. Agents get stuck when deleting or downgrading road. Also when deleting building where agents are out in the region.
    - Despite having multiple schools/colleges/universities, your people will become uneducated for no reason.
    - Water and power will sometimes break down and stop delivering correctly to all buildings. You need to remove roads and/or close buildings to fix the flow.
    - You can't buy 100% of water ajouter city CAN sell to you (if you need 110L and a city can sell you 150L, you'll only buy 100L) Educated sims won't commute and create medium/high tech industries in other cities. Amount of free classroom spaces in region view is sometimes not calculated. In some case, the amount of non unrolled students is not updated and is equal to total of students in the city which makes the number of school place not good. Cars can get stuck at the exit of a building a lock the street until you leave the city and reload it When a delivery truck cannot unload its delivery to a factory (i.e. multiple trucks were dispatched but the factory only needed one truckload), the trucks return to their home depots/ports and any undeliverable resources disappear instead of being transferred back into the depot/port. Graphical Issues:
    - The roads disappear at certain zoom levels.
    - Roads underwater.
    - Buildings on avenues.
    - Ploppables not graphically connecting to roads properly (e.g.: Tram depot).
    - Buildings on top of other buildings.
  78. Mar 25, 2013
    There were initial server issues which to me were made up for by getting a free copy of Dead Space 3 (or one of the other options). The only issue is after a few days of being able to get on and actually play the game got boring, and fast. There are so many glitches and issues (multiple trading depots too close keeps them from working, poor traffic flow, etc,) it makes the gameThere were initial server issues which to me were made up for by getting a free copy of Dead Space 3 (or one of the other options). The only issue is after a few days of being able to get on and actually play the game got boring, and fast. There are so many glitches and issues (multiple trading depots too close keeps them from working, poor traffic flow, etc,) it makes the game frustrating. Add on top of that the fact that the city areas are so small by the time you have your power plant, sewage, water, garbage, city hall, police, fire, hospital, elementary, high school, college and residential you have used 70% of the space. Now try to build enough mining, refining, smelting, trade depots etc. and you are completely out of room. The game FORCES you to have multiple cities and rely on the region, which seriously takes a lot of the fun out of it. I bought the game with 3 friends on release day to all play together, we are all over it already and regret the purchase. Expand
  79. Mar 30, 2013
    EA broke SimCity.
    EA broke SimCity.
    EA requires you to be online to play this game. Not that it is needed by the game itself, hackers have shown that to be unneccessary; The game can be hacked to work locally. Of course this DRM breaks the game in many senses. To ease the load off the servers they have restricted the speeds you can set for your cities. They have restricted map sizes to tiny areas and in addition the servers are quite unstable, so you'll be kicked out from time to time. Randomly.

Sadly, it's not only the demand for internet connectivity. The game itself has problems. You can experience that your ambulances drive in circles instead of ever getting to patients or the hospital, whichever is the case. All of your fire trucks may respond to the same fire at the same time, even if there are multiple fires. Police cars respond poorly too. And all of them stop on red lights.
    Furthermore the economics must have been made by a republican and a tea party member with a libertarian boss who all decided that hey, expensive public services are cool, but no-one should pay a dime for it. By which I mean the tax system is nonsensical. The taxation is normally flat, unless you build a special attachment to your city hall, but raise taxes above 9 or 10% and the people go bananas. The price of public services you MUST have though is so high you can't easily manage to provide the services the public demands.
    Mind you these are just a few of many issues. I cannot possibly cover them all in this review. Therefore, in conclusion:

Avoid this game. It is not worth it. I know the graphics are worse in SimCity 2000, but despite being made in the mid nineties it is a much much better game.
  80. Apr 2, 2013
    New Sim City game is a real disappointment for me. Sim City 4 was one of my favorite games, I bought it in 2013 and I am still continuing to play it. I bought it yesterday and downloaded it. I was expecting a wonderful game, bigger maps, realistic graphics and deep strategy. But when I started the game I was shocked. Where was the single player mode?! I learned that there is no offlineNew Sim City game is a real disappointment for me. Sim City 4 was one of my favorite games, I bought it in 2013 and I am still continuing to play it. I bought it yesterday and downloaded it. I was expecting a wonderful game, bigger maps, realistic graphics and deep strategy. But when I started the game I was shocked. Where was the single player mode?! I learned that there is no offline mode. And, it is a real trouble for me because in Turkey we use the slowest and the most expensive internet in the world. I started a private server and I was shocked again. Old region system and terraforming were gone! When I started to build my city I started to stop hating the game, I started to dislike the game and after that I had one problem. In population bar there was something says "amount:number" and all of the numbers were gone there was only "amount:number"s. I closed the game I thought that the problem will be solved when I restart the game, but it didn't because I couldn't save my game. Graphics are very bad, it really looks like Sims 3 or a cartoon. I can say that I spent 120 Turkish Lira ($67-70) for nothing. Expand
  81. Apr 3, 2013
    The game is a complete failure from my point of view. Simulation is broken or faked. Towns are small and often erased by the server. Allways-on connexion depends on servers ability to hold the charge, which was also a failure. Multiplayer is unimpressive and not interesting to me. To conclude, the game is pricey and some bad dlc is already coming out (publicitary dlc for car brands comeThe game is a complete failure from my point of view. Simulation is broken or faked. Towns are small and often erased by the server. Allways-on connexion depends on servers ability to hold the charge, which was also a failure. Multiplayer is unimpressive and not interesting to me. To conclude, the game is pricey and some bad dlc is already coming out (publicitary dlc for car brands come on EA.... after all this mess you do that To be avoided. Expand
  82. Apr 4, 2013
    I have played almost every simcity released. I have also put in over 100 hours playing this version, this version is beyond a buggy let down, to fans of the original game it can be seen as an insult. SimCity is about Simulating a City, although the graphics are nice the game uses nothing but smoke and mirrors initially to capture players into thinking there's "a lot going on" behind theI have played almost every simcity released. I have also put in over 100 hours playing this version, this version is beyond a buggy let down, to fans of the original game it can be seen as an insult. SimCity is about Simulating a City, although the graphics are nice the game uses nothing but smoke and mirrors initially to capture players into thinking there's "a lot going on" behind the scenes, when this is absolutely not the case.

RCI has almost no usage in this version. Entire cities have been built using nothing but residential lots.
    The muti-player "features" advertised do not function. Players are losing hours of work when disconnects happen. This game was clearly rushed out the door, and by rushed I mean by months and months, not just a few bugs here and there.

EA had bought the recipe for SimCity's success from Will Wright/Maxis and failed to even use it when producing this version.

The only upside to this game are the graphics(which do glitch out as well from time to time) Even the music cuts in and out with building/layer sounds getting stuck in infinite loops. The EA forums are on fire with angry users who want refunds, fixes and updates on the situation.

A month after launch, the game launcher "Recent News" post is dated March 8th. It seems EA is determined to further Alienate their fanbase.

This game truly deserves a 1/10 1 for fancy dance graphics and a slick interface which even fooled me initially for a few hours.
  83. Apr 8, 2013
    What started out as a somewhat enjoyable title quickly became stale and boring. The city size, the arguably retarded traffic and the lack of subways and more really made this game quite lacking. Not to speak of the dumbest DRM ever to be put on a game.
  84. Apr 10, 2013
    The game is fun, challenging, and addictive. HOWEVER!!! as of 4/10/13 cities and entire regions are being lost! Imagine leveling up 3 or more characters in an MMO and have them get deleted and be unrecoverable. That's exactly the situation with SimCity. You can create regions compromised of several cities. Quite frequently the cities themselves will bug out and you will have to "roll back"The game is fun, challenging, and addictive. HOWEVER!!! as of 4/10/13 cities and entire regions are being lost! Imagine leveling up 3 or more characters in an MMO and have them get deleted and be unrecoverable. That's exactly the situation with SimCity. You can create regions compromised of several cities. Quite frequently the cities themselves will bug out and you will have to "roll back" to an earlier state potentially losing several hours of work. You can find many reports of cities disappearing potentially losing days of work. I did not lose a city, I lost an entire region. The game crashed during play and when I logged back in all of my cities and the entire region was gone. Customer support consists of a blog page that you post to and hope someone sees it. I couldn't find a phone number anywhere and frankly have had enough lost time at this point to not care anymore. So $80 down the drain. Worse than being a game that is not fun, this one wastes days/weeks of your progress and will do so over and over and over again.

Second point is that many of the game features, specifically leader boards, are not functional. Also many of the main game mechanics do not seem to perform properly. STAY AWAY!
  85. Apr 18, 2013
    Well. I ended up playing this turd of a game without having to buy it thank god. My friend made the mistake for me. Everyone else has obviously explained the stupidity of the situation so I won't waste my breath. I wont purchase the game, or any other from EA at this point--to many disappointments. Simple capitalism, if you want something good from EA, then don't buy their productsWell. I ended up playing this turd of a game without having to buy it thank god. My friend made the mistake for me. Everyone else has obviously explained the stupidity of the situation so I won't waste my breath. I wont purchase the game, or any other from EA at this point--to many disappointments. Simple capitalism, if you want something good from EA, then don't buy their products until they put out something that the consumer really wants. They ruined Sim City. Expand
  86. Apr 26, 2013
    I love strategy games. I love builder games.
    I love strategy games. I love builder games.
    This is the worst implementation of either that I have ever played. It is the worst PC purchase I have ever made. Even if you get passed the online-only, "you cant save your own game" DRM issues, the game mechanics are a complete failure. The 2 kilometer (2k x 2k) map size restriction is unbelievably restrictive even insulting, there is NO relationship between residential/commercial/industrial (no, really none), and the function of the sims/agents/components is so bugged as if to suggest they placed no real effort into planning or executing the code.

It looks nice. But the game is awful.
  87. Apr 26, 2013
    Huge disappointment.

This 'reboot' is a big cut in the licence, the glass engine is joke, this game has no depht. It is just another DLC machine for EA. EA kills another ancestral licence.

Shame on you EA.
  88. Apr 29, 2013
    The internet issues required by this single player game make it unplayable. The fact that this game is dependent on EA's servers (which has a fantastically awful track record) means you can play this game only when EA is up and running. On top of that the city size is crazy small and the sims themselves have the IQ of a fairly large bag of hair. The amount of frustrations this gameThe internet issues required by this single player game make it unplayable. The fact that this game is dependent on EA's servers (which has a fantastically awful track record) means you can play this game only when EA is up and running. On top of that the city size is crazy small and the sims themselves have the IQ of a fairly large bag of hair. The amount of frustrations this game generates is only doubled by the fact that I really loved the last SimCity and was looking forward to this one for months. Expand
  89. May 11, 2013
    A prime example as to why DRM will not work as the game is still getting pirated and causing nothing but problems for the legitimate consumer but I digress. If you want to play with anyone that isn't a friend of yours, forget it. The multiplayer aspect looks like it was thrown together in about 10 minutes. You can't filter anything and the list is just thrown together. Every game you tryA prime example as to why DRM will not work as the game is still getting pirated and causing nothing but problems for the legitimate consumer but I digress. If you want to play with anyone that isn't a friend of yours, forget it. The multiplayer aspect looks like it was thrown together in about 10 minutes. You can't filter anything and the list is just thrown together. Every game you try to join to play with others, it's full or has abandoned cities which has to wait a certain time period before it disappears completely. Graphics are not optimized in the least and with 3 major updates now it still doesn't express concern with major issues like the multiplayer aspect.

This game is fantastic if you like small maps and playing by yourself (only if EA's DRM allows it). A disgrace to the SimCity series, shame on you EA Maxis.
  90. May 13, 2013
    This game is by far the worst Simcity, ever and, I love the Simcity franchise but this is just unacceptable. The Simcity franchise was initially a single player game, but now that this game is only DRM, the game is dependent on server's. EA most have done this to reduce, or entirely prevent pirating of Simcity, but really it will just prevent die-hard fans from ever buying the game.This game is by far the worst Simcity, ever and, I love the Simcity franchise but this is just unacceptable. The Simcity franchise was initially a single player game, but now that this game is only DRM, the game is dependent on server's. EA most have done this to reduce, or entirely prevent pirating of Simcity, but really it will just prevent die-hard fans from ever buying the game. Further more, another terrible problem in my opinion is the city scale, the cities are way, way to small. It allows good players like myself to create an entire city, to the city borders in under 2 hours, which is terrible. Simcity fans want to spend countless hours on one city, without limits. The game is also a dumbed down version of the other Simcities, it is extremely easy. Overall this is a bad game. Recommendation: DO NOT BUY. Expand
  91. May 14, 2013
    I won't buy a single player game that requires always online connection. I wanted to buy diablo 3 but never did for the same reason. People that bought the game and are complaining about the always online connection....why? I really wanted to give blizzard (diablo 3) some money, heck, I would have given them a $100 for a single player game that didn't require an always online connection. II won't buy a single player game that requires always online connection. I wanted to buy diablo 3 but never did for the same reason. People that bought the game and are complaining about the always online connection....why? I really wanted to give blizzard (diablo 3) some money, heck, I would have given them a $100 for a single player game that didn't require an always online connection. I loved diablo 2. EA is doing other stuff (origin) that has made not buy their games despite me wanting to. This might not be fair but I give this a game a big ZERO because of this. EA/Blizzard etc must think everyone is weak minded and will accept stupid requirements because of past games success. Then again, looks like they are still making a lot of cash off these games anyway. Expand
  92. May 24, 2013
    The requirement for online play is not only annoying, it doesn't work. The fact that it exists ONLY as a way to enforce DRM is evident in that they didn't even bother to create a way to find servers with available plots.

On to the game. Graphics are well done. The fact that there really is no proper connection to the RCI demand from teach category (e.g. the nonsense of having all residential cities) is just bad mechanics. Traffic is still horrible, and impossible to manage. Linking the density to the rods is also poorly done, since you cannot choose to have roads that eliminate traffic, without also allowing more density, thus increasing traffic.

You can't build a decent size city unless it is building consumer electronics because there is no way to generate enough money otherwise. This becomes a boring thing you have to do in one city in the region generating money, to have any chance of building up other cities for fun.

Cities are absolutely too small. There is no way to create real city. You are making little towns that (sort of) interact, when tho online thing decides to work.

Traffic is still out of control, even after a couple of patch attempts. Basic problem is that vehicles STILL don't make a decision based on the highest-capacity, lowest traffic route. Poor path finding. is inexcusable because they had to KNOW how important it was for SimCity4.

Eventually traffic just chokes everything. I didn't sign up for SimTraffic-jam.. Real Life provides that one just fine.

I keep trying to play it after each patch, and I keep being frustrated, disappointed and saddened. I really wanted to like this game.
  93. May 29, 2013
    SimCity is a very boring game that requires many monotonous hours before you get any good at it. I personally didn't enjoy playing it at all and will probably never play it again. I'm lucky that I didn't have to waste $60 on this sad excuse for a game.
  94. Jun 9, 2013
    Months after this game was released and it is still full of bugs and the only way you can get any enjoyment out of the game is by exploiting and manipulating the bugs in your favour. In the meantime Maxis/EA continue to release DLC for their broken game. A total travesty!
  95. Aug 18, 2013
    Stereotypical EA game, Little content, multiple DLC's that add little content, for high prices. Dull, full of bugs, obvious cash grab. This game is terrible when compared to previous games such as Simcity 4 They had so much potential, they could of made the game of 2013, but instead they scrapped the core gameplay of simcity 4 and removed a majority of the functions and sold it to us for $70
  96. Sep 17, 2013
    Forget the abusive DRM. It is so buggy it is not worth playing at all. Sure, some great ideas but, you actually have to be able to play before that counts in my book. The trade bug, gifting bug, great works bug, traffic bugs (many), service vehicle bugs (many), the list just goes on and on. The high critic reviews (100?) show they never actually played the game to any degree in myForget the abusive DRM. It is so buggy it is not worth playing at all. Sure, some great ideas but, you actually have to be able to play before that counts in my book. The trade bug, gifting bug, great works bug, traffic bugs (many), service vehicle bugs (many), the list just goes on and on. The high critic reviews (100?) show they never actually played the game to any degree in my opinion (maybe paid reviews or a marketing firm?). Certainly not a human player that knows anything about games. Expand
  97. Jun 13, 2014
    I really tried to like SimCity. I really honestly tried. But it's just not working well. The mountains of problems is huge, even now more than a year after release date. Not calling the game "Sim City 5" but just "SimCity" is very appropriate; because it clearly does not continue the success of it's predecessors.

The list of issues is huge: - Cities not buying the required amount of

The list of issues is huge:
    - Cities not buying the required amount of power and water even though there is plenty of water and power to receive from the cities I have setup contracts to buy from. Forces you to utility buildings in your main city wasting valuable space and land value.
    - Tourists suddenly not coming to your city for no good reason at all, after you've had great success with tourist for a long while and made no changes. Suddenly they just not come anymore destroying your income completely forcing you to re specialize. Which is NOT fun.
    - Water tables drying out and not refilling unless you friggin build a sewage treatment plant just next to your water pump. What the hell is that about?! Like the only way to get clean water is from a sewage treatment plant... Rivers not having any positive effect on water table at...
    - Tiny city sizes...
    - Enormous traffic jams on intercity highways and absolutely no way of improving or building more. Only one road connection to intercity highway causing at times great traffic jams in your city at that road junction.
    - Street cars getting stuck and not moving. Can be 'fixed' by removing and readding section of road in front of street car depot, or sometimes streetcar depot needs to be removed. Not fun.
    - Cities got lost due to EA's crappy servers. Many many thousands of players experienced this.
    - Gifts of goods, like plastic and such, from one city to another cannot even be partially deliver if receiving city does not have storage to receive the whole lot in one go. The deliver truck will be forever stuck in the intercity highway until receiving city builds storage big enough to receive the delivery in one go. Who at Maxis/EA thought that was a good idea?? How hard can it be to implement partial delivery...?
    - Deliveries of goods to great works get stuck in the intercity highway traffic jam and often the delivery disappears or roam for a very long time.
    - Cities of Tomorrow DLC prevents you from claiming cities other players with this DLC have constructed and left, forcing you to buy DLC...
    - While music is not actually bad, it is a pathetic attempt compared to the genius godly sound track of Sim City 4 (search Sim City 4 OST on Youtube if you haven't heard it before). Bu tin that sense SimCity's music does fit the rest of the game.
    - All buildings, both zonable buildings and utility buildings etc. will demolish when just at single patch of road along it's side is demolished. I don't get why that is necessary and it only serves to needlessly complicate rearranging city structure. For example a road can be just next to a utility building and the module to place does not have any other space to be than on the same space as the road. Demolishing the road and replacing it elsewhere and replacing the utility building makes space to place the module on that exact same side. It's crazy that you can't do this without demolishing the whole main building structure.
    - Crappy low value with very limited content DLC's that sell for high prices
    - Great work sometimes not receiving any power (even though your cities clearly has lots of excess power) effectively destroying the whole purpose of great works.

I could go on and on and on but whats the point. I don't even want to talk about the (few) positive aspects. F*** you EA, go to hell and leave our games alone
  98. Oct 15, 2013
    My husband bought and installed SC5 last weekend. I managed to play once. Every time I try to open it, I get a message saying we have not registered the Origin. Each time we have to re-register and then wait for 2-3 hours for the game to upload. Total waste of money. I can't understand why other game companies have not had the good sense to create city building games such as SimCity.My husband bought and installed SC5 last weekend. I managed to play once. Every time I try to open it, I get a message saying we have not registered the Origin. Each time we have to re-register and then wait for 2-3 hours for the game to upload. Total waste of money. I can't understand why other game companies have not had the good sense to create city building games such as SimCity. Truth be told, I will never buy another SimCity again. Expand
  99. Nov 6, 2013
    One of the worst game launches ever to happen in history.

One of the worst game launches ever to happen in history.

The game-play itself was alright, but capped out at about 10 hours. I spent about another 90 hours trying to figure out of I actually enjoyed the game at all, but it became clear that the game had no real point or optimization to make it worth the effort. I paid for a city simulator and got nothing but bugs, corrupted data, and terrible drm.

The graphics were stunning, but after a while it clearly all looks the same and it becomes apparent that you can't actually make the city how you want, all you get to do is build your city how they want.

Playing with others was impossible, and it seemed like that was the whole point to the built in drm. It simply didn't work people would abandon their plots after a few hours leaving you all alone, which wouldn't be terrible on its own, but the way they built the game made it seem like team play was the point, yet there really wasn't any way to actually play with others.

Overall this was a promising game that became a huge let down.
  100. Nov 18, 2013
    Been a fan for every one of them. This one is the most deceiving. It takes forever to start the game (about 10 minutes). Very slow and it is NOT my computer!!!

Given enough patches and DCLs, SimCity might eventually become the game that should have been on its release and justify the ambiguous choices that its developers made. [May 2013]
  2. May 9, 2013
    Hints at great things but is limited by small cities and promises it can't deliver on. [June 2013, p.80]
  3. May 9, 2013
    There's more problems with this game than I have words. Looks great though. [June 2013, p.80]