SimPark PC

• Release Date: Oct 31, 1996
tbd

No user score yet- Awaiting 3 more ratings

1. Feb 23, 2016
    I played this game for many hours as a child, and I returned to play it as an adult. The isometric graphics can't be rotated, but the pixel art still looks fine in its 256 color glory. The sound effects are memorable, even goofy at times (a didgeridoo plays when you scroll around), and when you're new to the game, balancing producer-herbivore-carnivore relationships can be challengingI played this game for many hours as a child, and I returned to play it as an adult. The isometric graphics can't be rotated, but the pixel art still looks fine in its 256 color glory. The sound effects are memorable, even goofy at times (a didgeridoo plays when you scroll around), and when you're new to the game, balancing producer-herbivore-carnivore relationships can be challenging enough to be interesting. The game last under 2 hours if you're judging just based on how long it takes to get to the top ranger level, but gameplay really lasts as long as you have the patience for it. My three complaints are depth of play in terms of complexity, how species identification early in the game breaks up the pacing, (I don't know if this is required to progress through the levels), and, as something relevant to an educational game, some of the ecological details don't make sense: eating berries from a plant shouldn't kill it.

I was able to get it to run on Windows 10 with some glitches, such as missing file errors when they were still in the right places (which inhibited the ability to save) and sprite transparency issues for overlaid animations, but gameplay was otherwise normal.

Cool fact: the original boxed version of the game included a SimPark watch.

There are no critic reviews yet.