Sine Mora PC

7.3

1. Jul 2, 2013
    I'm not sure what people will make of this game. There's a lot of good but unfortunately a lot of annoying.

The arcade mode only allows you to play on Hard and Insane, so if you want a "pick up and play" kind of experience, prepare to die a lot. To that end I started off in Story Mode, yet the story itself quickly became too cumbersome for me it isn't terribly interesting or

To that end I started off in Story Mode, yet the story itself quickly became too cumbersome for me it isn't terribly interesting or well-integrated into the gameplay (basically back and forth dialog and reading paragraphs on the screen not cut-scenes), but it brings the action (why we play this type of game) to a dead stop. I love a good story and play RPGs and Adventure games all the time, but the role of the narrative should have been to get me pumped for the next stage and it didn't do it. Bottom line: learn that Fast Forward key and prepare to use it, my friends.

The next glaring problem with this game is you can't change the resolution. A lot of games in this genre are known to be lacking in this area, resulting in screen stretching and the like. Sine Mora has found a new way to suck, however, by fixing the resolution at 1080p and then scaling the output based on whatever resolution you're in. Not a problem if you're playing on your 1080p television, but if, like me, you're on a 20" 1680x1050, you get to see huge, wonderful black bars above and below the screen (think widescreen movies on old 4:3 televisions). So Sine Mora's tiny sprites are made even tinier. Seriously nearly half the screen is black bars.

Other people have covered the games features so I'll skip that except to mention the game has what is basically "bullet time". You can slow down time and weave through showers of bullets. It makes the game more accessible but at the same time, I don't play these games "to go slow". Max Payne's bullet time is not just to slow things down, it's so you can fly into a gun kata ballet of death, so while time slowed down, the action never really did.

On a pure gameplay level this one is just average. Action games should, at their heart and stripped of all their various gimmicks, just be damn fun to play, and this one is just so-so. The levels are so broken up by dialog and awkward pacing you never sink into that zen of you and the game.
  2. Nov 21, 2012
    Having read the reviews for Sine mora on the xbox 360, i was very much looking forwards to this game 1 of a dying breed . And to cut it short i was disappointed ,graphically its probably the best shooter made to date but as a game its lacking . If only these visuals was married to any CAVE shooter that would be magic . Im a massive shmup fan of 40 years of age so ive played all theHaving read the reviews for Sine mora on the xbox 360, i was very much looking forwards to this game 1 of a dying breed . And to cut it short i was disappointed ,graphically its probably the best shooter made to date but as a game its lacking . If only these visuals was married to any CAVE shooter that would be magic . Im a massive shmup fan of 40 years of age so ive played all the classics and this game doesnt get close . If your desperate for a shmup then go for it but if your expecting a classic im sorry . Expand
  3. Nov 4, 2015
    I am torn between two extremes here. On the one hand i want to like the game very much. On the other - toss it out the window.

The graphics are (i won't avoid this word) pretty much stunning for such a small-scale and type of genre game. The entire world is modeled in 3D. That is pretty innovative for a side-scroller. The Boss fights look awesome! Not only the bosses are imaginative, but you get to see them from all sides - and in all of the evil glory! The main story itself is also good - it is not a childish naive template (which i would imagine for such a colorful game with characters from some fantasy world), but a pretty sad, cynic, and dark plot. The gameplay is also pretty fun, even though in single player campaign you do not get to choose your flyer.

The problem comes in progression design, and here how it basically looks - you fly and fight for about 3 minutes, fight a boss, fly for another 2 minutes, fight another boss, fly another 2-3 minutes, fight another boss - Next Chapter. The pace is just all wrong, and all the chapters can be finished in 2-3 hours tops.

Another major problem is the disbalance in level pacing - so you shoot for 3 level, and then a level comes which basically consists of a maze, through which you need to navigate using a mouse (i like using keyboard, so the mouse wasn't my first choice). But even with a good mouse, and with sensitivity set pretty high - those mazes are obnoxiously tough and just take away from the entire experience of the otherwise joyful, yet very short and improperly paced game.

Until the game is properly paced and slowed down, and those tedious maze levels deleted entirely - i would not recommend this one.
  4. Oct 28, 2013
    Instead of re-invigorating the shmup genre, Sine Mora offers a lacklustre (and downright irritatingly presented) storyline and repetitive, uninspired gameplay.

The choice to use Hungarian voiceovers with subtitles was ridiculous as it completely kills any possible immersion with the title in one fell swoop. Enemy boss names are needlessly elaborate, none of which are memorable in any way, shape or form as they progress through the usual rigmarole of phased battles.

Graphically, the title impresses. This isn't a rush job of a title, so it pains me to be critical of it. I want to like this game as you can see the developer effort and passion, but too many things let it down too often; so much so that playing it feels like a chore. As a veteran of the SEGA and SNES classic titles akin to this, there's no similar level of enjoyment.

And therein lies the issue. There's no innovation here, nothing new, nothing to breathe life into a genre that after this title may not just be dying; it may be dead.
  5. Coq
    Feb 9, 2014
    Very fun game, sadly terribly short. My experience was over in a mere 2 hours, but it was very enjoyable while it lasted. Worth it if you can get your hands on it for cheap (I got it in the Humble Bundle)
  6. Oct 15, 2013
    Sine Mora is a rare game of it’s kind. In a generation overwhelmed by FPSes and RPGs it's very hard to make a good Shoot 'em Up which appeals to both fans of the genre and one-time players. The developers tried to make a game that balances between casual and hardcore shmup game experience. How they managed it, is a matter of an other question.

Yes, you can pick up Sine Mora and play it

Yes, you can pick up Sine Mora and play it without having played any shmups ever before. And yes, you can have fun with it if you are a veteran player. Sadly, you can side in either of the two groups, the fun will start to fade away quite quickly. The game tries to please both sides at the same time which, in some cases is impossible. Sometimes it tries to cut corners with inconsistent bullet pattern and difficult hit detection to please the casual fan base, in other times it gets so difficult that a one-time player will probably quit after a couple of fails. It's a balance often Sine Mora just can't get right.

The game introduces an interesting time based mechanism. You and your planes don't have any health; instead you get a time meter constantly counting down. Once it hits zero, you are dead. To keep the meter running you have to shoot down enemy planes and vehicles which will add time to the counter. It's really interesting and the devs should be praised for coming up with this unique approach which actually works really well.

The story is something that bugs me. Sine Mora introduces a world, background story, multiple timelines and several characters that would be too much even for a game with a dozen-hour length of game play. But no, our game’s campaign lasts around 2 to 3 hours which is frankly, disappointing. You will never get the idea of the story as it's overly complicated for a game of this magnitude. To make the matter worse, different characters are introduced every 20 minutes and that's where you lose any interest of understanding the underlying story. Just give me the next Boss and let's get on with it! And the game does. There are huge boss battles in every 15 minutes, which on normal are pieces of cakes, but on harder difficulty give players a hell lot of trouble.

If there's one thing in which the game excels it's the graphics department. It looks absolutely astonishingly beautiful, for its genre it is over the top. The environment is colorful, detailed and alive. Levels are varied and vivid, and you have to really look hard for graphic letdowns in the game. Audio-wise the game keeps up the pace with an excellently composed soundtrack that is worth listening to. The sound effects sometimes feel weird and weak, but you can get used to it. The voice over is where the game really lets us down. For one thing, there's no English voice track. For whatever reason the devs decided to include only the original, Hungarian voice over. For those who can't speak the language, you won't miss a thing. Voice actors feel unmotivated and rather reading than acting their scripts. Also, it is littered with Hungarian trash language that sometimes feel uncomfortably awkward.

After breezing through the short and puzzled campaign for a casual gamer there's sadly not much to do further. All the other game modes where you can change your planes and pilots are for veteran and experienced shmup players. If you are a one time player you can give it a shot, but be prepared to fail many times. Some of the bosses and levels can get so difficult that it will frustrate even the most talented players. And this isn't because of the lack of skills from the player, but rather the aforementioned flaws: inconsistent bullet patterns and odd hit detection.

Sine Mora tries so hard to please everyone that it fails to please many. Every gamer hard-core shmup player or casual can have a shot at this beautifully confusing piece, but after a couple of hours we move on with ambiguous feelings.

Rating: 61/100; Replay Value: 2/5; To Beat: 2.5 hours (campaign); Played on: normal.
  7. Dec 12, 2012
    Absolutely top of the class. I'm not a dedicated Shmup player, but as a true lover of games like Zero Gunner, Ikaruga etc. this game picks up where those leave off. . .It innovates, it challenges and has awesome replayability. Hands down the prettiest Shmup I've ever played. The music is great, the controls are tight (I played it with a 360 controller) . . .and the first shooter inAbsolutely top of the class. I'm not a dedicated Shmup player, but as a true lover of games like Zero Gunner, Ikaruga etc. this game picks up where those leave off. . .It innovates, it challenges and has awesome replayability. Hands down the prettiest Shmup I've ever played. The music is great, the controls are tight (I played it with a 360 controller) . . .and the first shooter in memory to include a story, and a good one at that! Collapse

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
    Unless they want something more soothing and relaxing, Sine More will be mostly cherished by hardcore gamers that will lose their sleep trying to reach the top of the leader-boards. [January 2013]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Feb 4, 2013
    Modern and catchy shoot'em up excels in almost every aspect. If they added a longer story line Sine Mora would be flawless. [Jan 2013]
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Dec 30, 2012
    Beautiful to look at, challenging to master, over in the blink of an eye. [Jan 2013, p.84]