7.2

1. Dec 12, 2012
    Absolutely top of the class. I'm not a dedicated Shmup player, but as a true lover of games like Zero Gunner, Ikaruga etc. this game picks up where those leave off. . .It innovates, it challenges and has awesome replayability. Hands down the prettiest Shmup I've ever played. The music is great, the controls are tight (I played it with a 360 controller) . . .and the first shooter in memory to include a story, and a good one at that! Expand
  2. Jun 28, 2014
    stylish, extremely beautiful, fair and yet difficult as hell. The only downside might be the use of anthopomorphic animal characters - some like it, some hate it and most don t care if the game is good. because it does everything right - well, and also cause there is rather little competition in that genre on pc these days, a clear 10/10 from me.

can't help but feel that this world and
    storyline - and especially the art style would have made a much better role playing game like fallout than a shoot em up, but that's just me hoping for a diesel punk open world RPG one day. Expand
  3. Mar 2, 2014
    This is a game I am often glad to have in my steam library. I only paid $3 for it, and it is still a steal at the $10 it costs when it isn't on special. I would heavily recommend the free demo, as it shows you exactly what you are in for if you choose to buy.

The visuals are the best part of this game. The menu GUI is clean and pragmatic, and in the game GUI is very easy to get
    information from at a glance, while not being intrusive during the tense firefights. Every level is completely unique, and beautiful in their own way. The backgrounds are stellar and varied, the enemy design looks great, and the bosses... The bosses are huge, gorgeous killing machines, and every single one of them look like they could be a final encounter.

The sound is also magnificent. The music is a low key, minimal style techno, that isn't memorable, but lets you fall into exactly the right kind of trance you need to be in, in a bullet hell like this one. All of the sound effects are exactly what they should be, and I have zero complaints in the audio department.

The gameplay is what makes or breaks a game like this one, and Digital Reality made a ballsy move, replacing health with time. instead of taking damage, every time you are hit, you lose a few precious seconds, and a couple of your accumulated firepower powerups will be knocked out of you. (These can be picked back up, but can easily lead to being hit again, if you aren't very careful). Fortunately, the time mechanic works like a charm. It is balanced well. I never ran out of time while I felt like I was doing well, and ran out when I felt like I deserved it. The game gets very hard, very quickly, but this is smoothed out by the controls being incredibly tight, a well implemented time-slowing mechanic, and all of the levels being an absolute blast to play though.

There is a story to this game, which is actually pretty good, with MUCH better translation than I would ever expect from a shmup, but it is all easily skipped over if all you are interested in is the gameplay. It actually causes a little bit of dissonance, having have a solid story in such a mechanics driven game, but this is more of an observation than a complaint.

I have a single gripe with this game, but it is very minor. Every once and a while, there are levels that require navigation through caves or structures, and it can feel like a bit of a slog, when fast paced bullet hell is replaced with slow moving wall avoiding. If not for these levels, I would have given this game a ten. It serves to vary the experience a bit, but it just isn't worth it in a game that is already so rich in it's other facets.

I recommend this game to any fans of the genre, but I would recommend this game even more to those who aren't. Like most great games, it is very easy to learn, and very hard to master. This game does an excellent job at teaching it's mechanics, and while this game may be difficult, it is very fair.

Unless they want something more soothing and relaxing, Sine More will be mostly cherished by hardcore gamers that will lose their sleep trying to reach the top of the leader-boards. [January 2013]
    Modern and catchy shoot'em up excels in almost every aspect. If they added a longer story line Sine Mora would be flawless. [Jan 2013]
  3. Dec 30, 2012
    Beautiful to look at, challenging to master, over in the blink of an eye. [Jan 2013, p.84]