7.8

1. Jun 13, 2012
    Rebellion takes the Sins series several steps further by adding new ships, techs and factions, and an improved diplomacy function. The AI has been beefed up as well, and is generally competent at even the lowest difficulty levels (hey, don't judge!). That being said, the $40 price tag is a bit hefty if you already have the other games in the series.
  2. Jun 16, 2012
    As people have said, Sins Rebellion is a perfect entry point for newcomers into an amazing series. This is my first Sins game and I absolutely love it. The grand scale of combat is pretty epic to behold and take part in.

Apparently this standalone expansion doesn't actually offer too much new content, it just refines the older games. However, if you look at the game by itself, there is nothing quite like it.
  3. Aug 15, 2012
    A solid rts, good AI accessible gameplay coupled with strong graphics and sound make this one of the rare good 4X games not bogged down with a terrible launch or followup support.
  4. Sep 22, 2012
    The game is absolutely gorgeus, and is the best space RTS ever. Seriously, I haven't played one that better emulates a 4X experience. It's surprisingly addictive, very well done and gone are the flaws that marred its beauty in previous installments (see pirates). I am a very big fan of the series. The only issue I have with it is the fact it is a bit overpriced for someone who already hasThe game is absolutely gorgeus, and is the best space RTS ever. Seriously, I haven't played one that better emulates a 4X experience. It's surprisingly addictive, very well done and gone are the flaws that marred its beauty in previous installments (see pirates). I am a very big fan of the series. The only issue I have with it is the fact it is a bit overpriced for someone who already has Trinity. But if you never played Sins before, it is the best experience. Expand
  5. Jun 16, 2012
    Rebellion takes a step further into making an already great game into an even greater experience. The splintering of each race add additional technologies and the Titans bring a whole new level of power as well.
    The AI has also improved and is much more lively.
    The AI has also improved and is much more lively.
    If you haven`t been able to try out Sins of a Solar Empire yet, this is the perfect entry point, although the price may be saulty for a standalone expansion...
  6. Jun 5, 2013
    Since I bought this game on Steam at a discounted price of USD 13+/-, I cannot discuss this matter based on money matters. Aside from that, the game is generally fun to play. Once I bought it, I was completely bemused towards how to play it, making the game slightly dull and depressing at first. However, after gaining experience and understanding how the game works, it was fantastic. ShipsSince I bought this game on Steam at a discounted price of USD 13+/-, I cannot discuss this matter based on money matters. Aside from that, the game is generally fun to play. Once I bought it, I was completely bemused towards how to play it, making the game slightly dull and depressing at first. However, after gaining experience and understanding how the game works, it was fantastic. Ships of great variety and the picturesque background makes the game consistently attractive in graphics and design. The combat fighting may be slightly dull at times, but with massive battalions of larger ships and things, it will be fun to play.

The only downside I have, would be the duration to complete the game. It would literally take me a few days just to complete a match with 13 or more planets. It may be my inexperience, but I believe many people would feel the same way sometimes. But I really can't complain about duration if the fun is consistently being kept at a high level.

It would be hard for me to sit down patiently and play a game that could last more than 8 hours, but that's just me. Hence the game deserves my 8. I was also amazed at the community mods, making the game far more interesting as well.
  7. May 1, 2014
    EXCELLENT GAME. Back on 2010 I found the first version of Sins of a solar empire in a target for 10 bucks. I bought the game thinking it would be just another one of those crappy made strategy games out there. Happily I was wrong, and this is by far my favorite game of all time. Starting and practicing on the first, to eventually buying trinity and then to rebellion Ive found thatEXCELLENT GAME. Back on 2010 I found the first version of Sins of a solar empire in a target for 10 bucks. I bought the game thinking it would be just another one of those crappy made strategy games out there. Happily I was wrong, and this is by far my favorite game of all time. Starting and practicing on the first, to eventually buying trinity and then to rebellion Ive found that Rebellion is by far the best in the series and in my opinion the best strategy game Ive ever played. The abilities and power the gamer gets in this game is amazing and extremely addicting. Th game is very intensive too. Its taken me 4 years to get moderately good tactics and skill with SOASE. Rebellions great however I really hope they add even more capital ships and maybe even factions along the way. High praises to Stardock and Ironclad! Expand
  8. Aug 9, 2012
    This game offers a lot more tactical depth then what you'd expect from from a real-time version of popular turn-based 4X games. With an enormous tech tree, a flexible - well designed diplomatic system and 6 factions (3x2) that play very differently this game offers more than enough content to keep you occupied for months (given the sky-high replay value and dozen hour-long matches)
    While
    While reading the negative reviews i came to realize that they mostly cover the following:
    -the "expansion" hasn't got enough new content (with which I highly disagree, besides, it's a standalone title)
    -Master of orion and Gal Civ are better (to people who say this: real-time strategies are obviously not your thing, no matter how much content they pack)

The game is as good as flawless when you look at it at a standalone viewpoint.
  9. Jul 6, 2012
    I'm a fan of the game, this is my first sins game and I love it. However, the problems with the game are so prolific that after a couple of play-throughs it really does become unplayable.

The engine is from "yesterday" - no multicore support. Heaps of gameplay bugs - as a for instance, one ship has an ability called "Armistice" which stops all fighting for 1 minute.. unfortunately

The engine is from "yesterday" - no multicore support.

Heaps of gameplay bugs - as a for instance, one ship has an ability called "Armistice" which stops all fighting for 1 minute.. unfortunately the AI can get stuck with multiple akkan's constantly "casting" this ability over and over so that you cannot ever fight that fleet, thereby never winning the game.

The AI is kind of underfed in terms of ability to play and overfed in "cheat" modes.

The interface doesn't easily allow you to select units like fighters (they can move awfully fast and selecting all fighters and all bombers is a nightmare).

The game eventually on larger maps - as you will want to play after a few goes at the game, crashes - a lot.

A half finished product on an old engine - its' only saving grace being an awesome game and concept.

Seems a lot like a typical "moneygrab" from a gaming company, where they release a small product almost the same as the original for a quick grab at players money for little new content (certainly no new engine) and in this case have released it far too early with heaps of bugs and gameplay issues.

It gets a 5 from me..
  10. Jun 19, 2012
    If you like strategy games, this is one of the best of all time, the combination of a real time gameplay and suberb graphic, make this title worth the investment.
  11. Aug 19, 2012
    I was expecting a new game and was completely deceived. Same menu, same ships, same music, same artwork, same voice acting, same races, same planets, same resource system.... ladies and gentlemen, this is the same game. Yes, there are some additions, but they are merely a handful of additions to the same old game. Do not buy this game, especially if you already have the original SOASE. TheI was expecting a new game and was completely deceived. Same menu, same ships, same music, same artwork, same voice acting, same races, same planets, same resource system.... ladies and gentlemen, this is the same game. Yes, there are some additions, but they are merely a handful of additions to the same old game. Do not buy this game, especially if you already have the original SOASE. The differences are so minimal that you won't be able to tell the two apart when you boot them up.

Stardock is intentionally not showing any gameplay trailers. They have these new rendered trailers which are obviously not from this game, I think maybe they had to buy the technology to make those videos since their game engine is incapable. Don't think you'll be seeing anything like what's in the trailers. In order to justify a $40 price tag, a studio would have to create new content, update their game engine, improve their audio, etc. etc. etc, none of which was done.

This is SOASE with expansions, like a GOTY edition, except that it's been several years since this game was originally released. Several. Years. Same game. Same old game. A couple new units, a couple new tech, but most of the units (90%) are copied and pasted from SOASE.

So I'm really curious as to why people like this game. I played the original flavor, and maybe thought it wasn't a waste of $30, but I didn't play it much since it was very rough around the edges, and I was more accustomed to games like Company of Heroes and Civilization which were polished, fun, and well produced. But this SOASE expansion for $40 is like paying for shoes that don't fit and cannot be returned. 'Rebellion' is a waste of money, a useless game, a joke, a trick to steal your hard earned money in exchange for an old game with a new name which was mediocre to begin with.

What I'm trying to say is: DO NOT buy this $10 expansion for $40. This is an expansion to an existing game being sold as a stand-alone game. There is no option to buy it as an expansion, even though 90% of the game is from the original SOASE. If you like being ropped off, then go for it. I haven't had buyer's remorse this badly in a long time. Total ripoff. He who has ears, let him hear.....
  12. Jun 18, 2012
    Rebellion offers only a small amount of new content versus the original game. The Core game is still the same, and while the few enhancements that have been added are nice, they are far from worth the HUGE price tag of $40 for a so called Stand Alone Expansion. If you never bought the original game and its expansions, then Rebellion is probably the best way to go. For the rest of usRebellion offers only a small amount of new content versus the original game. The Core game is still the same, and while the few enhancements that have been added are nice, they are far from worth the HUGE price tag of $40 for a so called Stand Alone Expansion. If you never bought the original game and its expansions, then Rebellion is probably the best way to go. For the rest of us however I cannot see the value here. This is one of those games that you will probably reconsider when Steam has it on sale for $20 bux. Until then, unless you are really jonesing for a fix, avoid this game. Expand
  13. Jan 16, 2013
    Having never played the original, this gets a 10 from. Probably my favorite strategy game to date. Epic battles, tons of strategy, unique faction/race variations -- without being so different that each has its own learning curve.

I've been playing Homeworld 2 (Complex) for a couple years and this is what Homeworld was meant to be -- as much as I love the Homeworld games, they cannot come close to SoaSE!
  14. Jun 17, 2012
    While it is certain that owners of the original game may felt ripped off as they are required to buy what they already own for 40 dollar.
    It is a wonderful entry point for new players.In fact i felt there is a sufficient amout of new contents but They are spread evenly throighout many aspect so it kinda makes it feels thin.
  15. Jun 28, 2012
    Probably the best space strategy beside the nostalgic first part of homeworld.The only thing that i'm missing at this game is the story mode.Everything else is great
  16. Jun 13, 2012
    There was two things that Sins needed most: multicore support and a 64 bit version. Rebellion adds neither. So if you like huge maps and mods, you'll still encounter slowdowns at some point. Getting that out of the way, what they did add is new toys that are pretty fun to play with. Doing things like eating planets for resources, building a ship that's just a giant gun, and attackingThere was two things that Sins needed most: multicore support and a 64 bit version. Rebellion adds neither. So if you like huge maps and mods, you'll still encounter slowdowns at some point. Getting that out of the way, what they did add is new toys that are pretty fun to play with. Doing things like eating planets for resources, building a ship that's just a giant gun, and attacking people by flying Starbases at them are pretty awesome. They're also pretty imbalanced. So all in all this is kind of a mixed bag. If you liked Sins before and you're okay with balance issues being present in this version (hopefully to be patched later), then you'll enjoy Rebellion. Expand
  17. Jun 12, 2012
    Excellent game in virtually all respects. Vast amounts of replay ability, no two games are ever the same. Graphics are excellent and an improvement on the original. Numerous additions such as Titans and the splitting of each race into 2 factions that have different styles of play adds depth. My only real complaint is that there are crash bugs that still need to be worked out, or I'd giveExcellent game in virtually all respects. Vast amounts of replay ability, no two games are ever the same. Graphics are excellent and an improvement on the original. Numerous additions such as Titans and the splitting of each race into 2 factions that have different styles of play adds depth. My only real complaint is that there are crash bugs that still need to be worked out, or I'd give it a 10. All in all, I highly recommend this game. Expand
  18. Sep 4, 2012
    More an expansion pack than a new game. The original was good, but years of polish and three expansion packs have made it much better. I wish I had not played the "beta" releases and only played the finished one.
  19. Jul 16, 2012
    Fantastic game, cannot recommending it enough. Perfect for what a stand-alone expansion should be. Great price, great multiplayer. Could not be recommended enough. The only 'negative' I can think of is that games can take upwards of 6 hours. But I quite enjoy that.
  20. Oct 24, 2012
    Stand-alone expansion that doesn't add anything a mod to the original could. No engine updates for multi-cores and still won't use more then 2 gigs of ram on a 64-bit cpu. There is no single player campaign.

Only get this if you do not own the Trinity version. I wish this series would pull through on their "epic galaxy battles", however, they do not exist in any version in the series thus far. Large and huge maps experience performance decay over time as the AI expands and the last few hours of a game turn into a slide show. You could search support for dev talk relating to the end game lag. Those threads tend to fall off the first page and go into the archive.

Random counters:
    Limiting the number of AI players only reduces end game lag in the sense that 1 AI player is unable to capture territory as fast as 1 good player. What you end up is a set games where the AI and player are equal in skill, but unplayable and another set where the player rolls the AI.
  21. May 30, 2013
    I love sins, they are all very good games. I'm giving this a 6 because it just did not feel like enough was added to justify releasing a new game. Stardock likes to do that with their games tho. Most recently with fallen enchantress and then fallen enchantress: legendary heroes. Although there is no doubt that they are making the games better with each release, it always seems to me likeI love sins, they are all very good games. I'm giving this a 6 because it just did not feel like enough was added to justify releasing a new game. Stardock likes to do that with their games tho. Most recently with fallen enchantress and then fallen enchantress: legendary heroes. Although there is no doubt that they are making the games better with each release, it always seems to me like whenever stardock releases a game I should just wait a year and buy the REAL version of the game. Expand
  22. Dec 12, 2013
    The release of Rebellion was a giant middle finger to all existing fans of the original game, like myself. Rebellion essentially adds a few new ships to the game and a couple of minor tweaks. It would be a GREAT $10 expansion. The problem is, Stardock released Rebellion as a PURELY stand-alone game for $40 that is 90%+ the same as the original SOASE and it's expansions. They could haveThe release of Rebellion was a giant middle finger to all existing fans of the original game, like myself. Rebellion essentially adds a few new ships to the game and a couple of minor tweaks. It would be a GREAT $10 expansion. The problem is, Stardock released Rebellion as a PURELY stand-alone game for $40 that is 90%+ the same as the original SOASE and it's expansions. They could have easily made this another expansion like the others but they made it a $40 stand-alone as a PURE CASH GRAB. They should have at least allowed existing SOASE owners to tack it on as a normal expansion for half the price instead of paying a full $40 for a game that is more than 90% the same as what I have. Expand
  23. Jun 21, 2012
    Yeah good game. I was a big fan of the original and played it for 60+ hours Single Player. I bought this to jump into the multiplayer action. The critics all said that it has enough new content to justify the REbellion Sins 2 version.

It is a lot like the other game in looks and style, but as a space sim RTS 4x, SoaSE sets the bar. Id give it a 9 or 10 if it was a lot different from the original. It is a good multiplayer game. The games dont last as long as I had thought. You can play a solid game on fast settings in 2 hours and not give up any of the SP feel.
  24. Jun 24, 2012
    Rebellion is a nice upgrade from the Trinity package. There are a few new ships and upgrades, which extend the gameplay; however, there are currently some balancing issues, which the devs are currently working on. Overall, the game is still awesome, and well worth picking up if you've never played SoaSE. For those previous owners complaining about the $40: Stardock offers a $10 discount toRebellion is a nice upgrade from the Trinity package. There are a few new ships and upgrades, which extend the gameplay; however, there are currently some balancing issues, which the devs are currently working on. Overall, the game is still awesome, and well worth picking up if you've never played SoaSE. For those previous owners complaining about the $40: Stardock offers a $10 discount to anyone who already bought SoaSE. Rebellion is actually an acceptable upgrade for $30, and I wholeheartedly recommend it. Expand
  25. Jul 7, 2012
    While I have loved Sins for a long time, I find myself disappointed with this "Stand Alone Expansion". For the price and hype, very little is actually added to this game and it still suffers from the same performance issues with large games that previous versions have. I honestly believe Ironclad should have held off on making this game and rebuilt their game engine instead.
  26. Jul 15, 2013
    and 1 more thing to say is that u could but it with the price 13.59$ (-66% account)

those players keep talking about too expensive is ridiculous. Hope them will buy games wiser next time
  27. Jun 15, 2012
    Thankfully this is not like the buggy and disappointing "Sword of the Stars 2"....SoaSe Rebellion is by far the most polished and best Space combat RTS in the market for the time being. It may feel a bit dated since this is a standalone expansion of a 2008 game but still is by far one of the best of the genre for today standarts. The only thing that bothers me is that there is no CampaignThankfully this is not like the buggy and disappointing "Sword of the Stars 2"....SoaSe Rebellion is by far the most polished and best Space combat RTS in the market for the time being. It may feel a bit dated since this is a standalone expansion of a 2008 game but still is by far one of the best of the genre for today standarts. The only thing that bothers me is that there is no Campaign i would expected something more from just repetitive skirmishes.... Expand
  28. Jun 15, 2012
    There are numerous small, but well appreciated improvements. I wish that they would have given me a bit more command over how my ships form up and move, but so it goes. After pirating the first game in the series (sorry) I'm not particularly miffed by the $40 price tag.
  29. Jun 15, 2012
    This overpriced and rushed expansion adds a very small number of updates to a good game. a couple new ships per race and a small number of tech upgrades. The only other addition is some new victory conditions which do add some desperately needed depth to the game but overall a very limited update that is FAR less significant than the Entrenchment expansion. This is Stardock attempting toThis overpriced and rushed expansion adds a very small number of updates to a good game. a couple new ships per race and a small number of tech upgrades. The only other addition is some new victory conditions which do add some desperately needed depth to the game but overall a very limited update that is FAR less significant than the Entrenchment expansion. This is Stardock attempting to make some money after the Elemental War of Magic disaster. Only buy if you see it on sale. Expand
  30. Jun 19, 2012
    I have no idea why the reviews for this game are so high. The game plays like it was supposed to be a turn based strategy game, and that has already been done so much better in an older game, Space Empires. The trailers led me to believe there was some in depth storyline, but it's just a series of boring skirmishes that last too long. It looks nice visually (not up to todays standards) butI have no idea why the reviews for this game are so high. The game plays like it was supposed to be a turn based strategy game, and that has already been done so much better in an older game, Space Empires. The trailers led me to believe there was some in depth storyline, but it's just a series of boring skirmishes that last too long. It looks nice visually (not up to todays standards) but you will spend 98% of the time zoomed so far out that you never see any ships or fighting, just tiny icons. A waste of money (thanks for the no refund policy Steam). I advise you not to waste your money. Go play Space Empires, a shareware game from Windows 95/98, while not impressive visually, it is actually enjoyable to play. Expand
  31. Jun 21, 2012
    Some of you giving this game a low score for the price should be ashamed of yourselves. 39.99 is expensive, since when ??? I understand that it's just an expansion. These games hardly get any coverage or love these days so I will gladly spend 39.99 on it. I have wasted plenty of money on crap games and this is not one of them. Also this is for reviewing the game. If your unhappy about theSome of you giving this game a low score for the price should be ashamed of yourselves. 39.99 is expensive, since when ??? I understand that it's just an expansion. These games hardly get any coverage or love these days so I will gladly spend 39.99 on it. I have wasted plenty of money on crap games and this is not one of them. Also this is for reviewing the game. If your unhappy about the price go to their forums and let them know. It will probably have a reduced price very soon anyways. Collapse

1. Aug 30, 2012
    Rebellion is clearly an improvement over the original Sins of a Solar Empire, but it's still a not very successful attempt to cross an RTS with a 4X strategy game.
  2. Aug 6, 2012
    Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion is a game I really wish I was more skilled at. I appreciate all the various aspects of gameplay and the depth that the combination of those aspects provides. Still, as my fellow critic Kristin Taylor might say, I was far too enamored with the construction of my newfangled Titan to react quickly enough to the raiders destroying my infrastructure. While it's a long, long way from being up my alley, it at least makes for a good spectator sport.
  3. Jul 31, 2012
    Miles deep, loaded with options and gorgeous art, Sins: Rebellion is a great, genre-transcending strategy game. [Aug 2012, p.60]