Sins of a Solar Empire PC

8.2

1. Jun 19, 2011
    This game fills a void in my heart. I've always yearned for a game where you fight an intergalactic (well, in this game it's a solar system, but still) war. You manage your planets, built your fleets, conduct research, and wage war. It's a very fun and unique game. It takes place in real time but the pace is slower than most real time strategy games. The game plays unlike any otherThis game fills a void in my heart. I've always yearned for a game where you fight an intergalactic (well, in this game it's a solar system, but still) war. You manage your planets, built your fleets, conduct research, and wage war. It's a very fun and unique game. It takes place in real time but the pace is slower than most real time strategy games. The game plays unlike any other strategy game I've encountered. The biggest problem is the lack of meaningful ways to change the outcome of fleet battles. In this game the outcome is almost always determined before you engage in combat, and it basically comes down to who has the most ships. Tactics are non-existent for the most part, but the strategy is very much there. Recommended for people who like space battles and nuking planets. (Don't we all?) Expand
  2. Aug 24, 2011
    fun game to play every once in a while, but the thing that really kills it, is the fact that there is no story mode or single player campaign at all. this is especially important since the game has an opening sequence that seems to hint at an epic story, and then you get to the main menu and find out that theres absolutely nothing...
  3. Tristan
    Jul 4, 2008
    Bland and unoriginal. The capital ship system is identical to WC3's hero system, the space battles look boring, there is no storyline, there are no backgrounds for the races or ships, the gameplay feels like any other RTS game where you churn out units to throw into combat. The voice acting is ok, the music is quite good and the graphics are nothing spectacular.
  4. RanbirC.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Solid RTS but not the epic RT4x it is boasting to be. If anything, it's just a slower but still standard RTS affair.
  5. ClintG.
    Apr 16, 2008
    you really have to want to play this a RTS set in space to wanna play this game, because it is the best of it's type as you can tell by the high score. Of course I would assume it's only merited against games of this exact type wich in this case is like being the brightest kid on the short bus. This game is booooring ! very very boring and haveing a huge tec tree ware everything you really have to want to play this a RTS set in space to wanna play this game, because it is the best of it's type as you can tell by the high score. Of course I would assume it's only merited against games of this exact type wich in this case is like being the brightest kid on the short bus. This game is booooring ! very very boring and haveing a huge tec tree ware everything mainly does the same this just called something different, kinda gives you the illusion of content. Unfortunatly there really isn't much there aside from the large scale as you will find out after playing about 2 games. In my opinion if have alot of time to waste I suggest watching paint dry instead of waisting money on this game. Expand
  6. MeestykL.
    May 31, 2008
    This "game" feels more like a dock. There is apparently no campaign mode, just a sandbox mode! You play on premaps or you build one to play on. Beats the previous games with the same genre, but totally lacks campaign with the backdrop story. I got bored quickly solo mode. I have yet to try multiplayer's mode.
  7. JamieM.
    Feb 16, 2008
    A fun game. Lack of a campaign is a bit disappointing but with a game on this big a scale it's to be expected.
  8. Jun 19, 2013
    4x Space RTS? Yes please.

4x Space RTS? Yes please.

Sins of a Solar Empire was for me a hotly anticipated game, given the potential for greatness that it showed, that is until it was released. While it was fun to play, with stunning graphics and a decent UI, it didn't really have any wow factor and it did, as some other reviewers have said, feel bland. There weren't that many ship models/types either, not to mention the fact that their designs were... unimpressive. I mean come on, capital ships are supposed to be awe-inspiring, but they weren't anything special other than they were a little bigger than normal frigates/cruisers. Although it is fun to conduct and watch massive fleet battles, I do admit.

One of my biggest gripes is that there is so much potential and material for a single player campaign and yet there is none, which to me is a genuine travesty. That would have helped me (if done well enough) to get invested in the races. I understand what they wanted was for you to "craft your own experience" with each game, but they could have let that happen while also still providing a storyline of some kind.

As for gameplay, combat is nice in that if you're more of a hands-on player it isn't too difficult (as long as you prepare properly with control groups and fleet assignments, though even without those it's not too bad) then you can control micromanage pretty easily. If you're more of a hands-off player, you can just send your fleet into the fray and watch the fireworks too. Though it could be argued that it is a little light on the strategy in that you can, if you wanted, simply build as many ships as possible and send them barreling towards your enemy that isn't really the case since I've defeated enemies with bigger fleets before using backdoor/multiple front strategies or simply by having less, but more powerful ships in a battle.
  9. Aug 27, 2013
    Just spent hours trying to defeat an easy AI, and I don't think I'll play this game again. Maybe I just suck at RTS games, but it could be much better if there's a campaign for me to really learn the game. Yet still, there are some interesting ideas in this game and I think players who are interested in RTS or space games may find it a good game, so I'll give it a 6.
  10. May 15, 2015
    Only played 20 hours
    I love stories and campaigns. This game got ONLY Intro story that seems very promising,, but none what so ever to follow upp,
    I found this game to be hard to master even at easy. First after i almost completed a eight hour game did i learn how to accelerate the speed. Its very addictive and you want to master in beginning. But as you get no story rewards, no
    Only played 20 hours
    I found this game to be hard to master even at easy.

Its very addictive and you want to master in beginning. But as you get no story rewards, no exploration fun ect, i find it very boring
    I do thinks it quite strange it gotten so high rating

1. Sins of a Solar Empire combines the depth of traditional turn-based games like Civilization with the action of real-time strategy (RTS) games like Command & Conquer. The result is a rich and highly detailed game that pleases fans of both types of strategy.
  2. Sins of a Solar Empire makes no apologies for being ambitiously massive and deep.
  3. With most RTS games shifting towards fast action at the expense of real strategy, it would be an unforgivable sin for a strategy fan to pass by this game on the shelf and not pick it up.