7.7

1. Aug 3, 2013
    This game is ok. Not bad, not great, just kinda meh. Cute graphics and decent sound/music with solid atmosphere and an interesting/funny storyline. Certainly has a lot of charm. Unfortunately its got very little strategy to go with it. The gameplay is rather shallow, the controls annoying more than anything, and still has its fair share of bugs.
  2. Jun 23, 2013
    Buy game, connect controller, and enjoy the finest, fastest, and funniest turn-based strategy game in arcade style. Skulls of Shogun Bone-A-Fide Edition uses very little elements but in a very articulate manner to make the most out of them. The result is a fast-paced stratedy game with plenty of quirks and banters. There is no tutorial mode but you learn as you progress through the campaign, which is basically about a General Akamoto looking for the the route to afterlife after being betrayed.
    The multiplayer has three different variants: On The Couch, Online and Anywhere for LAN, real time and cross platform respectively. Getting into a match may take some time, but the game plays smoothly without any noticable bugs.
    I strongly feel that this one will be the cult of this era.
  3. Aug 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I found the campaign and concept in general to be very fun (beat campaign in 9 hours). The story isn't great, but the dialogue can be particularly amusing. Art and sounds are both great.

In terms of gameplay, the non-hex moving system does take getting used to but it's an interesting and novel addition. In just an four or two you'll become familiar with the various types of units that you have and how to operate them (the monks in particular are fun to use). The game is very much a case of planning, executing, and reacting. Although the game isn't all that difficult, making strategic decisions is at the core Level design is superb tailored in such a way to create a gradual difficulty curve that's satisfying and never feel unfair. While playing, I was always anxious to see the next level the terrain, the shrines, and so on and so forth.

I do have certain "complaints." Firstly, I do wish there were more levels a lengthier campaign. Certain features were introduced only in levels 16 onward for example, the awesome mixed-monk shrines, I believe.

Secondly, balance issues exist. Crow Monk can, for instance, decimate the entire final level.

Thirdly, some of the unique effects that made certain maps stand out were few and far between. Yuki was fun to deal with but she only appeared once. So did the avalanche that crashed on anyone standing on ice. Oni were entertaining but they were rarely featured. There was also a case where you had to fight against two enemy teams but this only happened on one map. I wish there were more of these situations that kept you on your feet and made each map new.

Despite these, I still wholeheartedly recommend Skulls for a solid experience. I am now getting into multiplayer, but do note: it can be hard to find games.
  4. Jan 5, 2014
    It's meh. The controls with a mouse are really awkward, with a lot of extra clicking, misclicking, trying to change back and forth between units (particularily bunched up ones). The art direction is really basic, the music is repetitive very quickly. Gameplay itself is alright, but nothing special. Disappointing, really.
  5. Feb 12, 2014
    As others have said the gameplay is okay but the interface is really poor. I find that in most modern games the interface is at least functional, maybe clunky but it works.

In Skulls of the Shogun the interface is so bad it interferes with the gameplay. Selecting units when they are bunched up (which they often are because you gain a defensive bonus from groups) is an exercise in
    frustration. Wrong moves, which can't be undone are possible because of interface issues.

There might be a reasonable game under the bad interface, but with so many other better games available why bother with this one?
  6. Oct 4, 2013
    Overview :Fast, slick and and funny. Those are the words I'd use to describe Skulls of the Shogun. It's a lighthearted game with a great sense of humor and an awesome art style.
    I've been playing with mouse and keyboard and it works very well, though I can't speak for how it would work with a controller. I've encountered no bugs in my 5+ hrs of gameplay yet. The game offers
    replayability by having a leaderboard for each mission with objectives to accomplish that give you a higher skull rating.
    Mechanics There are 3 main units (archer, cavalry and infantry) but they can be upgraded by eating your dead enemy's skull (which increases HP and after 3 skulls turns a unit into an Oni version with increased mobility and the ability to attack 2x). There are other units which can be acquired by haunting their shrines (The crow, fox, tanuki, and salamander monks), and the ability to summon new units, which requires resources (in this case rice paddies must be haunted). The interface is somewhat clunky at times but overall doesn't affect gameplay. The game does a great job of slowly introducing it's mechanics to you in a way that doesn't feel forced like most tutorials.
    Conclusion It's a fun and fast strategy game requiring very little time investment. Definitely worth picking up if you're looking for a silly strategy game. Might not be deep enough for hardcore strategy fans though.

A very stylish comics strategy game, with not exactly optimized controls nor absorbing gameplay. [Issue#233]
  2. Aug 28, 2013
    An entertaining and truly funny game of the turn-based strategy genre. It's very well aware of its inability to compete with the Civilization or XCOM titles, so it approaches the genre in its own way. Because of this the game stumbles along the way sometimes, but for the most part it brings a fresh experience.
  3. Aug 26, 2013
    Skulls of the Shogun is too air-headed to be hailed as the RTS masterpiece of all times, but a great game nonetheless.