Sleeping Dogs PC

8.2

1. Aug 14, 2012
    Disappointing to me, I think Grand Theft Auto, Just Cause and Saint's row are all more accomplished in this particular Genre. This game IS well optimised for PC, however it seems like the whole design is out of date, the gun play is adequate, the story is not boring, but not really interesting enough to get into. Driving is decent enough to not moan about it, but there is no WOW factor.Disappointing to me, I think Grand Theft Auto, Just Cause and Saint's row are all more accomplished in this particular Genre. This game IS well optimised for PC, however it seems like the whole design is out of date, the gun play is adequate, the story is not boring, but not really interesting enough to get into. Driving is decent enough to not moan about it, but there is no WOW factor. Overall -Average Expand
  2. May 9, 2014
    The game is virtually unplayable through Steam. I've tried deleting local content, disabling the texture pack, deleting local content again and reinstalling the game, various "fixes" from reliable sources that I followed to the letter, all to no avail. I have a large gaming catalogue where only a handful games I got from bundles are acting up and all those games are known to give issues. IThe game is virtually unplayable through Steam. I've tried deleting local content, disabling the texture pack, deleting local content again and reinstalling the game, various "fixes" from reliable sources that I followed to the letter, all to no avail. I have a large gaming catalogue where only a handful games I got from bundles are acting up and all those games are known to give issues. I can get into the world, look around, do some quests and that's fine, but the game loves to crash to desktop without an error for no particular reason. Drive a certain way? Crash. Look at the police cameras? Crash. I love sandbox games, and I hate to say this but I'm done with this "game" and the DLC I bought that I never got to experience, and I moved Sleeping Dogs to my "Games that don't work" folder. GG. Expand
  3. Feb 25, 2013
    Just got this game and it crashes at startup. This seems to be a relatively common problem at the moment, so I'd recommend holding off buying this for now. I'll change the score when I can actually play the game, and also give an actual review.
  4. Jun 15, 2013
    No FOV (Field of View) slider. The game is locked in 65 degrees; basically tunnel vision. Suffice to say, PC Gamers who play with the screen much closer stand a much higher chance of suffering from motion sickness due to this. Researched extensively online and found that Square Enix has mentioned a year ago to consider fixing the problem but never have. Could not find a work-aroundNo FOV (Field of View) slider. The game is locked in 65 degrees; basically tunnel vision. Suffice to say, PC Gamers who play with the screen much closer stand a much higher chance of suffering from motion sickness due to this. Researched extensively online and found that Square Enix has mentioned a year ago to consider fixing the problem but never have. Could not find a work-around such as editing the config file either. I get nausea after about 10 minutes of playing.

Ask for a refund from Amazon.
  5. Mar 12, 2013
    It looks nice most of the time. Really disappointing though. It was fun at first but after a couple hours I felt totally unmotivated and uninterested in any of it. I had that gut feeling and should have known better, but still got it.
    If you have that gut feeling that this won't be the game for you then listen to yourself and just pass on it.
  6. Jul 20, 2013
    Subpar hand-to-hand, driving & shooting gameplay wrapped up in a package that somehow makes these aspects less than the sum of their parts, Sleeping Dogs fails on all counts as an open-world game. Unlike a good fighting game or beat-em-up, the hand-to-hand is both crude & abstract, leaving you feeling disconnected from your character and his actions. The arcadey driving is pointlessly easySubpar hand-to-hand, driving & shooting gameplay wrapped up in a package that somehow makes these aspects less than the sum of their parts, Sleeping Dogs fails on all counts as an open-world game. Unlike a good fighting game or beat-em-up, the hand-to-hand is both crude & abstract, leaving you feeling disconnected from your character and his actions. The arcadey driving is pointlessly easy as all vehicles from motorcycles to lorries feel the same- zippy, tight-turning, with few penalties for errors. Navigating around obstacles (inc. other traffic) is not a challenge.

The story is boring enough to not merit discussion.

Curiously for a game with several standing collection quests, the world is technically well-created but lacks character & exudes a sense of artifice. Alive but vegetative. Exploring it is unrewarding even with the forced gameplay perks.

On the plus side the PC version is well-optimized. Downside: the controls are awkward, even when you plug in a gamepad. The field of view is tight and not configurable.

By the way, from the misplaced glowing praise- having been a PC gamer all my life- and similar writing styles & rhetoric, I suspect many of the reviews here are of dubious provenance.
  7. Nov 1, 2013
    There is no FOV option, if playing with a very low FOV makes you sick you should avoid this game. I feel sick and get headaches when I try to play it.
  8. Apr 23, 2014
    Everyone who gave this above a 2 is a suck up or liar. This game blows. This feels like an unfinished copy of GTA, except it sucks. Sucks really badly.
  9. Sep 9, 2012
    Hate to say it but this game is total trash in my honest opinion. Story is okay, but the camera and controls are just sluggish and complete crap. I feel like I wasted 50 dollars for this terrible game. Do not purchase this game.
  10. Nov 25, 2012
    The game is a reasonably functional GTA clone, but is held back by a barely acceptable job porting it to PC. It suffers particularly from having a whole bunch of context-sensitive actions all mapped to the same button. Some buttons have 4+ different uses in context, making it very hard to get a key mapping that suits you. You may still find something to enjoy here if you play with aThe game is a reasonably functional GTA clone, but is held back by a barely acceptable job porting it to PC. It suffers particularly from having a whole bunch of context-sensitive actions all mapped to the same button. Some buttons have 4+ different uses in context, making it very hard to get a key mapping that suits you. You may still find something to enjoy here if you play with a controller, but otherwise it's hard to recommend. Expand
  11. May 9, 2013
    If you like keyboard timed combos, you may enjoy this game. I gave it a try for 5 hours, but it just got worst and worst, despite improving health and combat statistics, and there are no difficulty settings. Graphics were not so convincing, camera placement sucks. The story and missions sound interesting but I did not get far enough to enjoy any of it. Alike GTA, many missions require toIf you like keyboard timed combos, you may enjoy this game. I gave it a try for 5 hours, but it just got worst and worst, despite improving health and combat statistics, and there are no difficulty settings. Graphics were not so convincing, camera placement sucks. The story and missions sound interesting but I did not get far enough to enjoy any of it. Alike GTA, many missions require to start over from miles away. Bottom line: I hate that kind of gameplay and wasted my time and my nerves. I should have waited for a significant discount as I usually do... Expand
  12. Sep 4, 2012
    This game is a piece of turd. Complete turd. The controls are VERY clunky. What gameplay do other people talk about over here? I could barely play it seeing how awkward controlling Wei with a keyboard and a mouse was. To be honest, Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition controls x100 better than this. And that game has some issues. So that's speaking a lot about how much worse the situation isThis game is a piece of turd. Complete turd. The controls are VERY clunky. What gameplay do other people talk about over here? I could barely play it seeing how awkward controlling Wei with a keyboard and a mouse was. To be honest, Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition controls x100 better than this. And that game has some issues. So that's speaking a lot about how much worse the situation is over here. Expand
  13. Aug 27, 2013
    Insane driving controls on PC. I gave up on playing, it's no fun when the controls are screwed. Normal movements are very imprecise too. Jump and sprint are on the same key (slow down just before you jump, ok?)

From what I've seen in the first missions, the city is very "plastic". Repulsive and not real at all. The oversaturated colors burn my eyes. Music and sound make me scream. The game is promoted as a sandbox game, but I hit an invisible wall of air again and again.

Money wasted.
  14. Aug 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If your going to set your demo up. and have the game be engrossing and engaging...dont make the controls clunky as **** and dont make it so you fail the first mission..

sleeping dogs? yeah, it feels like your playing the game as a sleeping dog, as everything you do takes 2 seconds to register on the player!!
  15. Aug 23, 2012
    not very good, controls are sluggish and unresponsive, combat is just a series of quicktime events. The story is good but its wrapped around bad gameplay.
  16. Aug 14, 2012
    I loved the Mafia series, the Yakuza series, the Saints Row series, the GTA series, and the True Crime series. I've played them all and when they announced Sleeping Dog, and it's based in Hong Kong, I just couldn't pass it up. Let me just say this, this is in no way a "bad" game. It's just very unfinished. It's glitchy, and most of the time if you play with the sandbox environment you findI loved the Mafia series, the Yakuza series, the Saints Row series, the GTA series, and the True Crime series. I've played them all and when they announced Sleeping Dog, and it's based in Hong Kong, I just couldn't pass it up. Let me just say this, this is in no way a "bad" game. It's just very unfinished. It's glitchy, and most of the time if you play with the sandbox environment you find all sorts of ways to ruin the game. A few examples I can come up with from playing is: Alt+Tabbing screwed up my subtitles and sound, getting hit by a taxi while holding the right mouse button makes it so you can't perform any non-combat right button moves, rag-doll launched me into space and dropped me into the pixelated ground (I took pictures) at which my view became that of a god damn NPC that was riding a van, my cellphone got glitched and I couldnt put it away, etc etc. Once again, this is in NO WAY a BAD game. It IS very detailed. I love the sandbox, I loved the huge selection of half-assed romance missions and drug-busts. I also love how even though you're essentially a bad-ass Triad, you never seem to be able to get your hands on a firearm or even call your foot-soldiers to battle like in Saints Row. The real saving grace of this game is the graphic, except when it rains. Then everything looks like a FOB smeared hair-gel on it. All in all, I'm sure there are worst criminal-organization games out there. I just haven't played it. Expand
  17. Sep 1, 2012
    This game could have been really good,graphics look ok but i just could not get past the **** controls and run of the mill fighting moves. It tells you what to press on the screen but even following the on-screen instructions the moves sometimes do not come off. I would wait until its in the bargain bin,which i dont think will be long.
  18. Sep 8, 2012
    Waste of my money, i have played for for many years with arrow keys, but you cant remap arrow keys for some unforgivable reason. Just cant immerse in a game when the controls feel awkward. I don't know if the story is good or the graphics, and i don't care. If the game play is horrible the game horrible.
  19. Jun 29, 2014
    I can't play this game thanks to the hkship.exe error. I think this is a fine open world game like GTA, so I would love to play it, but the people at Square Enix should address this situation.
  20. Jan 30, 2013
    it was a good game until it started crashing (started crashing only after 2 days of having purchased it on steam)... the game sadly no longer works for me and its impossible to play due to this issue. I would NOT recommend this game...
  21. Mar 14, 2013
    I am quite disappointed with the game. The story is waaaaaayyy too predictable and a bit too boring. The fighting is fun but the AIs are a bit too sluggish. As a kung fu based game I really thought the fighting would be very fast, quick and tense but instead the most of the AIs are always standing around waiting for you to go to them and attack them then they attack you. The drivingI am quite disappointed with the game. The story is waaaaaayyy too predictable and a bit too boring. The fighting is fun but the AIs are a bit too sluggish. As a kung fu based game I really thought the fighting would be very fast, quick and tense but instead the most of the AIs are always standing around waiting for you to go to them and attack them then they attack you. The driving mechanic is bit clunky. The Hong Kong theme is quite good though and some of the activities are quite cool like the karaoke. But the game became quite boring too quickly. SOme of the side missions are quite boring but there are some quite fun side missions especially the ones that have Wei surrounded by enemies and Wei have to fight his way out. Sleeping dogs went below my expectation but this game got potential. Expand
  22. Dec 16, 2014
    The game looks great the world is medium sized, I wouldn't call it large - you can drive all the way round it in minutes. For me this game is spoiled by rubbish controls, I managed to fix this with auto hot key which allows me to redefine keys as desired (ie use cursors).
    — — — —
    The driving is appalling for 2 reasons: — — Firstly the automatic camera/view drives me nuts, you can
    — — — —
    The driving is appalling for 2 reasons:
    — —
    Firstly the automatic camera/view drives me nuts, you can mouse-look to check before turning a corner but when you turn the corner the game spins the camera round, your view ends up pointing at a building to the side of the car so then you have to correct the camera manually because it is slow to move the camera to forward. It is ghastly.
    — —
    Secondly, keyboard control has been badly programmed, very badly. You are driving along, you want to make a minor adjustment, you can't, you tap left.... there's a pause where nothing happens, then the car jerks violently to the left - a lot, it is dismal. (AHK is not the cause of this - I tested without it loaded).
  23. Mar 30, 2017
    Sleeping Dogs, c'est du GTA "made in China" qui recopie sans gêne et sans état d'âme ce qu'on a vu ailleurs et pas que chez les jeux du même genre : le système de combat par exemple est entièrement repompé sur les Batman AA/AC. Plutôt pas mal fait mais au contraire des Batmous, ça tourne un peu trop du côté d'un jeu de baston à la con avec tous les con-bos que ça implique, d'autant que çaSleeping Dogs, c'est du GTA "made in China" qui recopie sans gêne et sans état d'âme ce qu'on a vu ailleurs et pas que chez les jeux du même genre : le système de combat par exemple est entièrement repompé sur les Batman AA/AC. Plutôt pas mal fait mais au contraire des Batmous, ça tourne un peu trop du côté d'un jeu de baston à la con avec tous les con-bos que ça implique, d'autant que ça reste plus difficile que dans les jeux de Rocksteady.

Et c'est une grosse partie de Sleeping Dogs hélas : impossible d'échapper à ces bagarres, que ce soit dans les missions principales ou secondaires. Toi vouloir écraser quelques loubards avec ton 4x4 ? non pas possible, monsieur ! toi vouloir les flinguer avec... un flingue peut-être ? non pas possible ! toi pas de flingue en dehors des missions prévues à cet effet... Toi péter gueule à eux. Jeu décider, toi obéir sinon toi finir camp de rééducation travail manuel.

Dommage, car les rares fusillades sont bien faites avec des **** ralentis quand on passe d'un abri à un autre et le système de couverture remplit son office. Bien faites aussi les poursuites en bagnole avec également un ralenti quand on canarde le fuyard mais le souci est qu'on ne peut le faire que dans certaines missions scriptées à cet effet : en mode libre ou dans d'autres missions dans lesquelles on doit semer la police, on ne peut pas, car... de toute façon on a pas de flingue !

Manque de liberté d'approche, c'est quand même ballot pour une copie de GTA ! ils ont cela dit innové quelque peu avec des sortes de mini-jeux de piratage de caméra ou de triangulation de téléphone portable... franchement c'est plus soûlant qu'autre chose.

A côté de ça, on ne joue pas une racaille mais un flic infiltré avec tous les poncifs du genre mais c'est toujours ça de pris. Le jeu n'incite pas trop à mettre le bordel en ville et encourage la conduite propre (le score baisse quand on écrase une mémé au feu) : du politiquement correct communiste, ça (d)étonne un peu, on a pas l'habitude...

La partie technique : magnifique sur PC avec les textures HD et presque tout à fond, ça tourne bien la majorité du temps sur une machine moyenne gamme avec de rares descentes à 35 im/s, clairement du beau travail pour un monde ouvert aux décors aussi soignés.

Finalement Sleeping Dogs, ce n'est pas grinçant comme un GTA4 ou délirant comme les SR2 ou 3, c'est juste coincé et ça n'a pas la grâce des meilleurs polars de Hong-Kong, trois fois dommage !

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
    Unlike the previous ‘True Crime’ games, where there was a strict depiction of the city maps, Sleeping Dogs does not portray Hong Kong, inch by inch. United Front Games has implemented GTA’s novelties in way that winks slyly at Rockstar. In essence, what the GTA series has accomplished, Sleeping Dogs has carried out better and more elegantly. [October 2012]
  2. PC PowerPlay
    Oct 11, 2012
    A solid GTA clone that ticks all the boxes but forgets to add the magic ingredient of improvisation. [Oct 2012, p.77]
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Oct 10, 2012
    City action in an Asian style casts a fresh wind to the sandbox game genre, with attractive worlds full of details, great battle mechanics and cool free-run sections. [Sept 2012]