8.3

1. Apr 9, 2014
    Playground of the Gods is the motto and it's definitely fun. Is it a LoL copy? Not really. It follows the normal MOBA style but takes it into the next evolution of the genre. Instead of overhead it moves into a 3rd person view and plays at a much faster pace. You have your typical modes of Conquest (5v5, 3 lanes with jungle attacking opposing Titan), Assault (5v5, random god, single lanePlayground of the Gods is the motto and it's definitely fun. Is it a LoL copy? Not really. It follows the normal MOBA style but takes it into the next evolution of the genre. Instead of overhead it moves into a 3rd person view and plays at a much faster pace. You have your typical modes of Conquest (5v5, 3 lanes with jungle attacking opposing Titan), Assault (5v5, random god, single lane no jungle attacking opposing Titan), Arena (5v5, TDM set in a gladiator arena with jungle mobs on outskirts), MOTD (5v5, random game changes daily and will cover all modes including domination mode not available anywhere else. Examples - All the same god, Guy Gods vs Girl Gods, Norse gods vs Egyptian, etc.), Joust (3v3, single lane with jungle attacking opposing Titan), There is also private lobbies for groups of 5v5 to play in. They have practice, normal and league options for the different modes with the exception of the private lobby being only available under normal.

The game is F2P but does have in game purchases yet none that make the game P2W. They offer you 5 starting gods and 5 random gods that rotate weekly so if you don't have the money you'll still get a chance to enjoy the variety of gods on offer, currently 51. Most things can be purchased with "Favor" which you earn through battle but some costumes and all the individual character voices are gems (cash) only. The best option they offer is a God Pack that gives you access to all current and future gods for a one time fee.

Now for the final cut.. While the game is fun and I do play it almost daily it's not without it's glitches. For me personally this game was in beta for two years and to still be having problems I don't understand; which is why I scored it the way I did. Server pings are random. I can play a match at 70 and have another at 150+. Since release HiRez has fixed some issues with the ping where before I had matches that'd start great then my ping would shoot up to 600 even 900. I also had matches where both teams could not play because you'd be walking out your spawn area 5 times then suddenly pop halfway across the map yet we could chat just fine. Rare graphic glitches and abilities that on the rare occasion seemingly not do anything even though it executed properly from your POV. They offer a broken Twitch integrated client that would allow you to unlock a skin for one god but for a reason only known to the gods have not bothered to fix it so it's impossible to unlock the skin. Now even with these and other minor things the game is still fun. The community does have it's few elitist ass hats who whine about your build or not following meta but they do offer the option to mute, report and block players so if you happen upon them remember that and don't get caught up in their trolling ways mid game.
  2. Sep 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i give this game a score of 6.for the following reasons
    1)HiRez staff never bans those who paid even if they hack
    2)there are hacks.
    3)there is no level balance in match-making thing that makes you stuck with lowbies forever
    4)too many non-english speaking players so well you sometimes feel alone in the game
    5)ticket support answers are always.(and when i say always i mean it) indirect and actually never answered..well it's robot answer all the time..so there is no support for players..(unless you paid)

These were the reasons it got so low score from me..the reasons it's above average is because of the common MOBA genre with the unique style of 3rd person shooting.it also has good graphics..well..the cons of this game are more than the pros..but it worths just the experience..
  3. Dec 14, 2014
    The 3rd person view makes using a gamepad possible, which really makes the game unique. It can't really be compared to other "mobas", which is both good and bad. The good part is that the games stay pretty fast paced for their entirety. The bad part is its fairly simple, with not much to learn aside from specific spells and items.
    The game is really original in its concept, but the
    The game is really original in its concept, but the abilities and items are nothing new.
    Even if you don't enjoy league/dota/hots/strife/dawngate/any rts, you might enjoy smite.
  4. Mar 25, 2014
    I absolutely love Smite. It is the only MOBA that has been able to keep my interest for an extended period of time, been playing for over a year. Even with my love of the game, there are still quite a few flaws that are present in the game. So let's get started.

Overall, it is a very fun game to play. Choose from any of the current 51 deities -- with more on the way -- and play in one of multiple game modes: Conquest, Arena, Assault, 1v1, 3v3, Conquest and Arena League, and the match of the day which is random restrictions on classic modes for fun.

The gameplay. The use of WASD and the 3rd person camera do make it a more engaging experience compared to an isometric MOBA. There is no way to influence the game with outside purchases, a la LoL runes. The active items in the game must be bought in game, which promotes countering. Overall the actual combat is very solid, but it is not what the advertisements portray. The game does advertise that it has only skillshots, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. I'm not saying there are no skillshots, but things like AoE circles that require little more than just getting close to the enemy are fairly common. Regardless, it is still a very engaging combat system and I find it very fun.

Next, aesthetics. The game has a more lighthearted simple feel to it. I don't want to say it's cartoonish, but it is definitely a less serious art style than say LoL or DotA. Each deity has their own uniqueness about their models. The new item styles are all presented in a similar art style. I'm not very good with describing the art of the game, but it all fits together nicely, with updates to bring some more dated things up to par with the rest of the game.

Now for UI. Smite's UI has not been done very well. Every single window takes up the entire screen, whether its the skill, stats, death recap, or store window, The shop has come a long way to being more accessible, but it still has longer to go. The tabs on the home screen are unlabeled and hard to tell what they do. There's no collective shop for all the skins and voicepacks, and the store button actually directs you out of the game. The twitch integration for the game is a running joke of the community. The hud for in matches, however, is very minimal, has easily understood information, and has the nice addition of telling you if your teammates ultimate's are off cooldown.

And now for the parts of smite that need a lot of work, optimization and balancing.

In regards to optimization, after every patch, there are people complaining about frame rate decreases. Sometimes the drops are minimal, sometimes they are drastic. I've personally never been affected to badly, but the fps drops are hardware indiscriminate. It doesn't matter how powerful your computer is, there is always a chance there will be frame drops, which could be crippling. Also, there is very noticeable lag in many menu's, most notably the store and god select screen for a match. Quickly scrolling in either creates tearing and stuttering, both of which are very distracting and annoying. There's a lot of room for improvement in this regard, and while a very small amount of patches have mentioned optimization, I've yet to see someone say their frames have actually increased.

Balancing is done horribly by Hi-Rez. Many deities are blatantly overpowered or broken, with others just completely useless. Zeus has been widely considered the most overpowered thing in the game for months now, and he has remained completely untouched. Also, a lot of nerf's to deities do not actually address the problem the deity has, and some nerf's are just completely random with no explanation. Which brings me to my next point, developer transparency.

Very rarely is a nerf/buff been explained beyond "[enter deity name] performed higher/lower than expected." One thing that many people have taken for granted from other companies, a collective forum, was actually only just recently reinstated from Hi-Rez. After completely failing at moderating the forums the first time around, they just completely shut the forums down and stated that the smite subreddit was the new official discussion board for smite. They brought the forums back, and this won't affect my rating, but it is something people should know coming into the game.

Fairly sure I covered all the bases. Even if I didn't, I expect this to be more informative than the countless 10's that only praise the game, despite it's obvious problems. I still wholeheartedly recommend smite, I just don't want people to join with their hopes to high. Hopefully Hi-Rez works on these problems so I could give it a higher rating; however, right now, even with all my love for the game, I give it a 6.5/10, I rounded up for the MC score.
  5. Apr 16, 2014
    Fun for the first 10 levels, but becomes dull. Not as skill oriented as other MOBAs such as LoL or DOTA due to the 3rd person view. I find that it's strength lies in it's characters which are very clever, due to them being gods, some of which I recognize and some of which I don't. However, the lack of being able to easily see all around you makes it less enjoyable. Not to mention that youFun for the first 10 levels, but becomes dull. Not as skill oriented as other MOBAs such as LoL or DOTA due to the 3rd person view. I find that it's strength lies in it's characters which are very clever, due to them being gods, some of which I recognize and some of which I don't. However, the lack of being able to easily see all around you makes it less enjoyable. Not to mention that you don't even have to worry about farming because actually getting a last hit gives you very little additional goal. This turns the laning phase into a poke war and takes away from the intense decisions in other MOBAs such as "Do I want to take this minion but risk getting hit by the enemy, or should I poke them and lost a minion kill. I can see how some people can like this game, but if you want a more strategy feel, I would go for LoL, DOTA or Heroes of the Storm. Expand
  6. Aug 6, 2014
    Smite is one of the most annoying games for a MOBA. People are constant tryhards top win a match and then the teammates never seem to cooperate with anyone. There are gods that are too overpowered to play. The game is so terrible and the only way to get around with the game is if you would win all the time I home Hi Rez fix the issues.
  7. Mar 26, 2014
    this is my favorite moba game but ive been seeing so many stupid reviews like "you can play cupid 10/10" no sorry it doesn't work that way. the game itself is really good, very balanced (as far as moba's can balance anyway) and very technical. but this game has the worst matchmaking out any of them i've ever played. i constantly get thrown into matches with people far below my skill levelthis is my favorite moba game but ive been seeing so many stupid reviews like "you can play cupid 10/10" no sorry it doesn't work that way. the game itself is really good, very balanced (as far as moba's can balance anyway) and very technical. but this game has the worst matchmaking out any of them i've ever played. i constantly get thrown into matches with people far below my skill level or far above it. it feels like 1 out of about 100 games is actually fair and doesn't have a clear victor within 10 minutes. if they fix this matchmaking issue (i've also heard lots of people complain about servers as well i guess i should throw that in there) then this is easily a 9/10. but i don't think that will be happening anytime soon since they had 2 years in the beta to fix it (or even attempt to fix it) and they never did. Expand
  8. Mar 29, 2014
    Smite is a great game. It is a DotA-clone with a 3rd person view with BEAUTIFUL graphics and smooth animations that will give you a lot of fun!

Sadly, it does have it's flaws. The gameplay, while fun, can get a bit repetitive due to the fact that most gods play similarly to each other, but with a slight gimmick attached to them. The community isn't as good as they claim they are, it is

The community isn't as good as they claim they are, it is a DotA clone after all, and all the communities seem to be extremely toxic when it comes to those type of games. Hi-Rez, the developers of the game, also have quite the reputation to abandon their games as soon as they get released (See Tribes: Ascend and Global Agenda). It also has a flat out BROKEN matchmaking system, where people who are extremely new to the game will get paired up with players at professional levels just because the game felt like it.
  9. Mar 25, 2014
    FUN MOBA , but the game is very limited.. is very easy to farm and reach levels with the GODs , is not complex like the dota , but is a good MOBA for FUN !!!
  10. Apr 9, 2014
    People keep saying who copying who. but come on moba is a genre these dates. if you think this is just another moba, you are wrong. its 3rd person 3d, if you are interest in the genre you should give this game a try. gameplay are smooth, graphic are good. server are stable most of the time(at least better than lol). however, it isnt flawless atm, or else i would have give it a 10.People keep saying who copying who. but come on moba is a genre these dates. if you think this is just another moba, you are wrong. its 3rd person 3d, if you are interest in the genre you should give this game a try. gameplay are smooth, graphic are good. server are stable most of the time(at least better than lol). however, it isnt flawless atm, or else i would have give it a 10.

things i dont like about this game is the itemization, it always feels so linearly. Also new god always OP, balance of champs aint very good, which results in playing with/against same gods most matches
  11. May 12, 2014
    This review was deleted so I'm reposting it:

I ended up boycotting the game after my account was suspended for 72 hours. There is no way to appeal the suspension. I was charged with "Intentional Feeding". I'm a member of an esport gaming group so the charge is laughable but that goes to show that you can be trolled to death by team mates filing false reports. I was sold on the art
    This review was deleted so I'm reposting it:

I was sold on the art direction, which is beautiful and the concept of leagues, levels and mastery ( which is an illusion ). You gain experience, regardless of a team win or loss, which contributes to your God Mastery level. You end up with people, who have level 10 mastery in God, who are not very good with their characters. You end up with people being rewarded for going AKF and sitting in base, not contributing. You end up having to carry people with a 1:13 and 3:15 kill-death ratio ( real stats from a game ) while also having to write a thesis in the chat channel about the fact that your 0:6 k/d with Thor, during the late game ( in a different game ) doesn't matter, since you have single-handedly done 7,300 structure damage. Maybe it's because the viewpoint is third person and the mini-map is off to the side, whereas in DOTA 2, people are very aware of the significance of losing or gaining a tower but players in Smite seem utterly clueless.

The player base and matchmaking is horrendous. The game is free-to-play ( with all the pluses and minuses that F2P brings ). The game is plagued by all of the problems of DOTA 2 ( AFK-Leaver-Noob-Retards ) plus the fact that people have never played a MOBA before and don't seem to understand the significance of tower loss or gain or even game-flow ( which is covered in Youtube tutorials and is viewable during the 5Gb download ). If you are a skilled player, be prepared to carry the team in almost every game.

The idea behind leagues is that if you get to level 30, you can play in competitive leagues. I have read that only 1.6% of the player base plays in leagues at any one time, which means 20 minute wait times for the Bronze league and those leagues are still not free of someone leaving the game, resulting in a re-queue time.

I could only stomach grinding to level 25. The match making was an epic exercise in frustration ( perhaps no different from other games which fail to have adequate match making, since match making is often an after-thought, if it is even thought about at all ). The only way around the matchmaking is to add friends and go in as pre-made ( Leagues do not support pre-mades ). Every page on the Official Smite forum talks about the broken match making ( an unsolved, 2 year problem ).

The game plays well enough and is very addictive. I have only noticed a couple of frame rate skipping episodes on my NVIDIA GTX 780 but I'm sure that those kinks will work themselves out in time. The game doesn't have the hardcore modes of DOTA 2 ( "Pure random" God pick or "pick 3" ).

Final Score: 7/10 ( 2 points deducted for the poor match making and 1 point for the the inability to appeal a false report of "intentional feeding" / crap player base ).

After 24 days of not playing, I went back and got to max level ( level 30), with 12 different God masteries, in an attempt to get into ranked games. I recently noticed this Reddit post, which everyone should read: "Smite-Streamer abuses Power to contact HiRez and instantly ban players".
  12. Apr 30, 2015
    I prefer this game to other MOBA because this one is 3rd person, which makes it more immersive. Arena is fast paced but I think Conquest should be 10vs10 or 7vs7. Also when one person is AFK, the game quickly becomes unfair. For a free game, it's quite good but well I think that if you really want to enjoy it, you will want to buy it, 30$ seems fair. This being said, unlocking one godI prefer this game to other MOBA because this one is 3rd person, which makes it more immersive. Arena is fast paced but I think Conquest should be 10vs10 or 7vs7. Also when one person is AFK, the game quickly becomes unfair. For a free game, it's quite good but well I think that if you really want to enjoy it, you will want to buy it, 30$ seems fair. This being said, unlocking one god seems to take forever, I've about 3500 flavors after at least playing at least 8 hours while a god is 5000. I guess that the best to really enjoy this game would be to play in a real team (clan). I can see how powerful it can be to make smart use of powers (one freeze the opponent while the other use a massive slow attack) and to be many to attack a single opponent. I would probably really enjoy playing competitive and learning all Gods skills. This being said, without having a clan to play with and being limited to only a few Gods (free to play), the game becomes quickly repetitive and boring. I prefer to play a game like battlefield where you can revive other players, heal yourself and where the attacks (guns) are more clearly defined. Indeed, in SMITE, it's often hard to understand how you got killed because there are some many Gods/attacks. Expand
  13. Jul 8, 2014
    There's a lot to say about MOBAs in general, both in good and bad terms. However, after playing SMITE for a few months, I can say that it's one of the best ( in my case ). Considering I came to SMITE after a few years of playing league and DOTA, the lack of insults and snide remarks really caught me off-guard. However, like all games it has it's downsides, mainly directed to the lack ofThere's a lot to say about MOBAs in general, both in good and bad terms. However, after playing SMITE for a few months, I can say that it's one of the best ( in my case ). Considering I came to SMITE after a few years of playing league and DOTA, the lack of insults and snide remarks really caught me off-guard. However, like all games it has it's downsides, mainly directed to the lack of items and the overall unbalanced feel the game has. Many of the gods can start snowballing at very low levels while others (Mainly stealth related ones) get a free pass to attack or escape due to the lack of vision granting items in the game, sure there are wards and such, but the fact that there isn't one to reveal or detect and alert you of invisible enemies can really cause people to get pissed off ( I'm talking about you Loki.)
    Anyway, I give it a 7/10. It gives people a fresh and more strategic look at MOBAs while keeping the basic elements that LoL and DOTA players are accustomed too.
  14. Apr 17, 2015
    This is a very good game, in the sense that its the first MOBA I've ever played and I like playing it. The graphics are enjoyable, as are the different gods/modes to choose from. However the entire community is horrid. Not only does it take well over 10 minutes to find a game because someone is leaving the lobby or not locking in, but you face harassment after actually getting into a game.This is a very good game, in the sense that its the first MOBA I've ever played and I like playing it. The graphics are enjoyable, as are the different gods/modes to choose from. However the entire community is horrid. Not only does it take well over 10 minutes to find a game because someone is leaving the lobby or not locking in, but you face harassment after actually getting into a game. If you are good, you have no life and you are a hacker.... but if you play a bad game you suck you need to delete your account and go kill yourself. No matter how much you get harassed, and even if you report someone, it still stays the same. The person never gets a penalty in any way, and they continue to harass you even if you play a good game with them. It goes well beyond the game as well, even after the game has ended they private message you to continue being crappy. This game would be perfect if we could actually block someone so that I can never read their raging messages. I've tried blocking them though it still pairs them in a game with me, and I can still read messages in game. The only thing it solves is private messages. This game actually has made me delete it so many times just because of people being such ass faces about every little thing. All in all I like how this game plays, but if you can find a way to weed out the little **** faces that ruin the whole experience it would be perfect. I've had less ****ing from players on call of duty and I thought that game was bad. On this game we have guys with no life that just sit here and play 24/7 to complain to other people. Then they always seem to get stuck on MY team. Even if we are winning and he/she is the only one on the team dying at all they still freak out and tell the whole team they suck etc. This game should come with free anger management for those that obviously well beyond need it and a zanax so we can put up with their crap. If you can get past all the B.S from the community online, then by all means play this game. It is quite good, provided you grow up before you download it because all the little children playing this game are making it unpleasant for us that actually enjoy games for FUN. It's not the end of the world if you lost, and if it is then kindly ask your mother to wipe your butt and give you a new diaper before you log back in. I give it a 5/10 just because the game was great, and yet I still would rather eat glass than play it. Expand

1. Aug 8, 2014
    Smite is alternative to Dota and LoL suited to beginners as well as veterans of the genre.
  2. Jul 23, 2014
    Third god perspective freshens up the MOBA genre but its potential was not fully utilized (e.g. you can jump, but there’s nowhere to jump to). Smite makes up for that with varied game modes and accessibility to inexperienced or casual players. [06/2014, p.58]
  3. May 19, 2014
    The product of Hi Rez Studios is well made, and offers different feelings from those of its competitors, thanks to the different camera angle and a fast paced gameplay.