SolForge PC

6.8

1. Nov 28, 2013
    Great game, the gameplay as well as the deck building has depth. Depending which cards to play and level up is often what decides a game. Playing a strong level one creature and gaining early game dominance or playing a weak early game for awesome late game level three cards are both strategies that can have game-changing impact. And for those saying that it is pay to win, it is simply notGreat game, the gameplay as well as the deck building has depth. Depending which cards to play and level up is often what decides a game. Playing a strong level one creature and gaining early game dominance or playing a weak early game for awesome late game level three cards are both strategies that can have game-changing impact. And for those saying that it is pay to win, it is simply not true. Daily rewards can be obtained just by spending ten minutes a day against AI computers, and the rewards can contain silver, single cards, or packs. I am a free player and I've already gotten several legendary cards just from daily rewards. Overall this is a great game and I highly recommend a try. I give this review a nine for great gameplay strategies, and great daily rewards that help free players like me. With the only downside is that the campaign mode is still under construction. Expand
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    This game is a lot of fun. It is quite easy to pick up but requires more strategy than you would think. It's nice that the game is completely free. Competitive play requires some investment of money but daily reward to casual players are quite generous.

The daily rewards also mean that strategic deck building continually evolves as new cards are gained. For a game still in open beta, they have achieved a fun game with a very vibrant community.
  3. Dec 12, 2013
    SolForge is the best trading card game on iOS, thanks mostly to the generous reward structure which hooked me in the first place, and the fast rate of play compared to some of the more deliberate card games on the App Store.
  4. Dec 15, 2013
    Very fun game! My brothers and I love playing this when friends come over because a game doesn't take too long and we can cheer each other on and give advice about what cards to play.
  5. Dec 15, 2013
    SolForge has a unique gameplay mechanic in its leveling system, a surprisingly deep strategy for its simple rules, and a very generous daily reward system. The game is still in development, so a lot of the key features such as trading and campaign mode are not yet available, but the devs have been doing their best to keep everything moving along.

The prices on their products are a bit

The prices on their products are a bit on the high end, but I've had very little trouble building a top-tier competitive deck without paying anything at all, just understanding appropriate deckbuilding and playing strategy. Yes, there are difficult-to-acquire cards that are very good, but there are also a ton of very good (and often underrated) common cards.

If you're looking for a polished game with lots of fancy graphics, you should probably go somewhere else for right now, but SolForge has the best mechanics and strategy of any of the new DCGs out there right now.
  6. Dec 15, 2013
    First thing to remember about SolForge is that it's in early beta and that new features are being added ASAP. Second is that it's a TCG (trading is being implemented soon). Last thing to remember is that you get a bunch of free cards every day just for playing.

I've played nearly every DCG that's currently out (not the Hex alpha since I didn't Kickstart it) including Hearthstone and SolForge is the only one that's managed to keep my attention. Gameplay is simple to learn draw five cards a turn and play two of them, and the two you play level up, the rest are discarded. Every four turns you reshuffle your discard pile into your deck and draw your cards again (regardless if a creature you played is still on the field or not).The pace of the game starts off nice and easy but the later it gets the more it accelerates.

A few people have claimed that it's luck-based, and to some extent that's true, but it's less than other games like M:tG and HS. By seeing five new cards a turn you can usually accurately predict what you're going to draw based on how you built your deck and how you've played it up until then.

Tournaments and Drafting should also be implemented very soon along with a card of the day/week feature as I believe that SBE has already submitted the patch to Apple (it's currently cross-platform with iPad and PC, soon to be iPhone and Android as well). Each account should earn enough tournament tickets to enter a free draft once a week, which will really help new players cherry pick how they want to build their collection and provide a way for players who want to play games that don't take collections in to account to play again and again.

Along with that, you should get quite a few cards a week and silver to buy packs pretty quickly I've got several F2P accounts and each one after only a week or two had a focused deck that was pretty good and I was able to beat most people with (not counting top players with highly tuned decks, but that's to be expected).

My recommendation is that you try SolForge and stay with it for about two weeks before you make a decision. At that point you should have gotten to draft a couple times (at least) and built your collection and learned your way around the game. Make sure to stop by the official forums and Steam group chat as well plenty of people are willing to help you with deck building, play and your questions.
  7. Oct 13, 2013
    Reviews of zero may be missing the "Beta" status. Current game is still ruff on presentation, but the core game mechanics are in place.
    The Developers have recently implemented a matchmaking system that has resulted in more balanced matches. I was tempted to quite before matchmaking because it is very apparent that some players have spent a few pennies on there decks. You can earn a random number of free card packs each day so this advantage will wear off over time until new card packs are released. I have not found a way to trade cards yet.
    The current card pool is pretty small. There are 4 factions with about 50 cards each. You can only use 2 factions and 3 copies of a card in your set limit 30 card deck. Each faction has a theme and are fairly balanced. Some faction combos work better then others. Alloyin Tempys is a hard deck to run without multiple rare cards. My preferred combo is Alloyin Uterra currently.
    The level up mechanics on the cards are the key to victory. Ensuring you have cards that will be viable in more then one level and the ability to anticipate your opponents cards is important. The game feels a bit like YuGiOh, but with out facedown card stalling. There are no trap cards as of yet but magic cards are strong.
    Now is a great time to give the game a try.
  8. Dec 15, 2013
    I've been playing Solforge for awhile now and love it. I'm also playing the Hex alpha and Hearthstone beta but I find Solforge to be the most fun to play by far. The game is relatively easy to pick up and learn but difficult to master. It is a TCG at its core, so you'll need to collect free daily rewards for awhile to build a good deck unless you want to invest a bit of cash. You doI've been playing Solforge for awhile now and love it. I'm also playing the Hex alpha and Hearthstone beta but I find Solforge to be the most fun to play by far. The game is relatively easy to pick up and learn but difficult to master. It is a TCG at its core, so you'll need to collect free daily rewards for awhile to build a good deck unless you want to invest a bit of cash. You do start with a fair amount of cards though for free so it's easy to pick up and start playing/learning the game immediately. It's unfortunate to see a number of negative reviews on here. I agree that the game does not have the same depth of strategy as MTG (of which I've played for 20 years) but it is a very fun alternative. I find that there is room for both games in my library. I would highly recommend giving it a try for free. Expand
  9. Dec 15, 2013
    Solforge is the best TCG out there. It is still in beta phase so other reviewers need to chill out. Easy to learn, rich and tactical gameplay. Learning to build an effective deck with synergy that plays to the skills of your cards to win the game is the most enjoyable part. Download it on your ipad and try it out!
  10. Jan 26, 2014
    Calling this a pay-to-win game is either a knee-jerk reaction after a losing streak or people who cannot makethe distinction between an actual pay-to-win and a ctg where you can simply...buy new packs of cards.There's not even a guarantee that there is going to be something good in there, just as with any other ctg. And yes, ive seen the daily cards in the store which can be quiteCalling this a pay-to-win game is either a knee-jerk reaction after a losing streak or people who cannot makethe distinction between an actual pay-to-win and a ctg where you can simply...buy new packs of cards.There's not even a guarantee that there is going to be something good in there, just as with any other ctg. And yes, ive seen the daily cards in the store which can be quite powerful. Ive never bought one of those.Yet, after less than ten games played Ive already collected quite a few rares and even one legendary. From boosterpacks. For FREE. So the whole pay-to-win thing is absolute nonsense. Especially after I noticed that a basic starter deck, when played right, can stand up very well to some of the more exotic decks ive played.

Then, about the whole strategy side I can be very brief. It is fun but lacks depth. Not saying winning matches is completely random, but anyone who understands the game and the cards will notice theres often only a few options every turn, and thinking ahead only plays a minor role. I think the levelling of the cards is a good idea, not to sure about discarding your entire hand every round though.

In short: a fun, NOT pay-to-win tgc. Accesible, nice artwork, quick gameplay, fun but a bit lacking in depth. Overall not bad
  11. Aug 19, 2013
    Love the game so far. Daily rewards for logging in and winning a few games. Lots of depth and replayability. Worth downloading. Can't wait for them to get out of beta and have some more in-depth features like ranking and limited play. Probably the best tablet-based CCG there is.
  12. Aug 27, 2013
    Been coming here for years, and never felt the need to review a game. But after reading some of these ridiculous "0" star reviews, I've got to defend solforge.
    Yes, the game had some connectivity issues on release. That's what a beta is for. Those have been mostly fixed.
    All CCGs are "pay2win" to a certain extent. None are 100% free to play. Solforge is MOSTLY free to play and is more free to play than Magic or even Hearthstone. It's daily reward system is incredibly generous for giving away free packs.
    It is also an incredibly deep game. It is one of the easiest CCGs for newcomers to learn, but the game has a substantial amount of depth. I have no idea what the people who are giving it 0 stars and saying it is all luck and no depth are thinking or if they just "don't get it". Some people really like to blame losing on bad luck and everything else as opposed to learning and tweaking their deck to make it better.

Solforge is the best purely digital CCG I've ever seen. It's the only one that is as great on the iPad as it is on the PC.
  13. TCG
    Aug 20, 2013
    Pros: It's free (at least right now) to play at a basic level. Additionally, you get daily login rewards.

Cons: It has NO depth to it. I am utterly convinced people who give this a 10 are literally in the employ of the makers of the game, or just don't enjoy strategy. I can count on one hand the number of times I've lost in 4 days of playing the game, and I still find no satisfaction in it.
    The complaints you see here are valid, and I don't really need to reiterate it. All i can say is this it's got no depth, and strategy is so simple you have to choose to play several games at once to make yourself think. You lose all cards in your hand every turn, and the only strategy is keeping your lanes filled with creatures. Do that and you WILL win, unless another poor mechanic interferes (like card leveling it is quite hit or miss).

If you like Magic the Gathering, then this is a comparison you might understand. This is MUCH closer to playing plants vs zombies than it is Magic the gathering. So, heck, if you like that game a lot, maybe you will like this.

And in all fairness, some people like brainless games, and by all means, have fun. I'm placing this here as a warning for those who like strategy and want to play a game where they have to think ahead. This just isn't that game. If that doesn't matter, then honestly you might have a good time. Good luck!
  14. Aug 20, 2013
    I had a really great fun while playing this, it´s very addictive. I have been playing only for 4 days now, but I really do not think, that this game is pay to win. If you complete the daily missions you get plenty of cards to play with. Easy to learn game with great art.
  15. Aug 19, 2013
    Solforge is still in early beta, and is an extremely well designed game with tons of potential. It is having some connectivity issues right now, and still has a lot of important features that won't be implemented for a few more months, but even without those features the game is incredibly fun and addictive. I can't wait for draft and trading to come out in a couple of months.

I think

I think the criticism that it is "pay 2 win" are a little unfair. The legendary cards really aren't on a different power level than the rest, and I think people just like to make excuses when they lose. Especially since they are probably brand new players downloading the game for the first time playing vs people that have been in the alpha for months, backed the game from kickstarter, so have a little head start on their collections. Then they lose to the person who has months more experience, knows the game very well, and just happens to have better cards also, but then they just blame it on the better cards... Nah. The game is well balanced and once you have enough cards under your belt (daily reward logins), you can make some pretty awesome and competitive decks.
  16. Aug 25, 2013
    Been playing in the community tournaments on the forums and having lots of fun. The game has tons of depth and strategy. It's not quite as polished or have a super pretty client, but it's still just a functionally wonderful game at its heart. I've been playing it like 5 hours a day for the past week.
  17. Feb 11, 2014
    Uninstalled SolForge today, which at some level is a shame because without the P2W aspects it was a fun, albeit low strategy CG, but it does highlight the difference between how gamers and F2P devs define what is a “good” game.

Unfortunately games that follow the Asian F2P whale model task the developers to build a “good” game from a gamer’s POV while simultaneously breaking balance in a way that can only be ameliorated with a credit card.

From this gamer’s perspective a “good” CG offers a level playing field emphasizing skill by increasing strategy (in deck construction to maximize card synergy and in variety of play style choices during a match), decreasing luck of the draw aspects (leaving just enough fate to keep it interesting, but not so much to make it feel random), and striving to have balance between card choices.

In contrast from an Asian model F2P dev’s perspective a “good” CG game is one that drives whales to obsessively use the cash shop to increase their chances of getting overpowered cards relative to those commonly available through in game currency transactions; it is a basic intermittent positive reinforcement operant conditioning design to foster compulsive spending.

In this model cash flow can be maximized by downplaying strategy to favor accessibility (also a problem in B2P these days), luck of the draw is increased so one can never feel quite secure enough with their decks, as well as allowing less skilled players to stand a better chance of also winning, and by purposely breaking balance so one is constantly striving to fill their decks with more OP cards than their competitors.

Specifically the SolForge monetization pit is built around the absurdly imbalanced legendary cards and the increasing of rank of cards.

While the gambling aspects of trying to acquire OP legendary cards in bulk booster pack purchases is obviously a cash grab, the leveling of cards is a more subtle monetization tactic.

At first I thought leveling was a cool idea as I always like playing games where I can nurture my units with experience to greater power, but here it is used to further exaggerate card imbalance. While on average a legendary level I card is somewhat more beneficial than non-legendary one, it usually isn’t in a game breaking way; it is at end game when level III is achieved that the P2W aspect manifests in full, and games come to an abrupt end, virtually always at the expense of the non-whale without red star cards.

So one can break open their wallets and start enriching their decks with reds (but don’t be surprised if you just end up losing in turn to a larger whale) or try to enjoy the game with the exclusion of legendaries, smartly avoiding the overt monetization mechanics by immediately dropping from matches when a legendary comes into play; if one is a small fish in a sea of whales you are going to have to accept that you'll be taking the whale bone frequently, and don't expect the devs to step in because they designed the F2P game to foster just that feeling of unjust frustration on the loser's part, and the thrill of crushing victory on the whale's side.

So since the whales are paying to keep the game afloat, the freebie players need to respect that and give them their due, but one should feel absolutely no responsibility to get ridden for longer than necessary. Just immediately concede and get on with a balanced match in spite of the SolForge dev's intentions. By analogy I wouldn’t find it entertaining to join in a seven card stud tournament, where I am restricted to five cards; could I win, perhaps, but obviously the cards would be stacked against me, so why bother?

I do like seeing the non-heroic/non-legendary player sponsored tournaments in the forums, but of course even their existence points to the ugly pink whale in the middle of the room.

This last day of playing, even among decks of comparable strength, I found the sheer luck factor was too much for me to ignore. We have all been there where in late game the opponent is playing out III’s and II’s and by the chance of the draw we get a hand of I’s which stinks to lose in such a way. Conversely I can’t help but to feel sympathetic when I just played out a couple of III’s and the opposing player blocks with two level I’s; you kind of want to send them a “sorry” emote.

Lastly I think such power disparity fosters a virulent community of frustrated players that in my experience won’t think twice about walking away from a match to slowly let the timer run down once the realize they lost, as if to say ♥♥♥♥ you.

Give me a B2P CG where everyone has access to all of the cards, and I’ll pull out my credit card happily, but there is no way I am going to constantly ride the red legendary dragon FTW! ;)
  18. Jan 14, 2014
    This is a fantastic game. I can't wait to see how it develops over time. As for people rating it zero and complaining about it being free to play, how is that any different than MTG/MTGO??? You buy packs until you get the cards you want or order them off ebay. Nerds just buy the cards they want off ebay for a few bucks each. This is no different except that it's all virtual. The game holdsThis is a fantastic game. I can't wait to see how it develops over time. As for people rating it zero and complaining about it being free to play, how is that any different than MTG/MTGO??? You buy packs until you get the cards you want or order them off ebay. Nerds just buy the cards they want off ebay for a few bucks each. This is no different except that it's all virtual. The game holds similarities to MTG but is refreshingly different. No resource management works well for the system they've developed. Card rarity is similar to magic as well. You have some rares that are almost game-breaking and other that just suck, the same can be said with commons. It feels just as balanced as MTG.

One negative is that there is no way to influence your opponent during their turn. I understand that they are working on a solution to this in the form of Structure cards. The game is in Beta so there is much more to come to be sure.

I'm really excited to see how the game evolves. I think it has the potential to blow duels of the planeswalkers out of the water. One next step should be to increase the quality of the card art. CCG fans are suckers for card art...

Only getting a 9 because it's not a finished product.
  19. Jan 28, 2014
    Fun but too simple.

Fun but too simple.

It works like this: you have a collection of cards (spells and creatures) from which you build a 30-card deck, which you use to battle opponents. Each round players put down two cards on the table and have their creatures do battle. A creature that isn't opposed by an enemy creature damages the opponent directly. When your opponents life reaches zero, you win. Pretty standard trading card game fare.
    Notable things to mention are that your cards level up as you play (only till the end of the match) and that after every turn, you discard every card that is left in your had.

The levelling cards I like, the discarding of the entire hand not so much. I feel like that makes the game more random and it does not stimulate thinking ahead or having an actual plan. Which brings me to my biggest problem with the game: it lacks strategic depth. It's all very straightforward. Play your creature, play your spell, level, battle, discard, rinse and repeat. If you've played Magic: The Gathering like me you'll be quite underwhelmed with the strategic options.

Don't get me wrong : there is at least some skill involved, and at least some thinking required, and that's more than can be said for most games today. The outcome does still depend on your choices. Because there still are choices, simply far less than in MTG. And the less choices there are, the more you are simply clicking to progress along a preset path.

That all being said: it is still a fun game. There's still some pride to be had by winning, the design and art are very nice, the gameplay easy to learn, there's an option to play at multiple tables and if you're a collector like me you'll enjoy collecting new cards and tweaking your decks.

Lastly, I read a lot about pay to win and bugs in the other reviews. I can tell you I have played 14 hours and have yet to encounter my first bug or even minor glitch. It runs perfectly fine basically. Both the game itself and the online component and matchmaking service are working flawlessly. And let me assure you this is not pay-to-win. That's just how it always goes isn't it? A studio releases a free game, but the developers would also like to be able to feed themselves and their family (the greedy bastards), so they give you the option to buy more cards immediately instead of winning them. Keyword: option. There's nothing you can buy that you can't get through winning matches. And there's no real disadvantage when you don't buy cards. I recently won a game with one of the default decks you get in the beginning against a guy who had nothing but legendaries (read: bought cards). That says it all, buying cards just gives you more cards, it doesn't make you an instant winner.

Fun, accessible game, good looking, bug-free but not too much thinking required.

20. Aug 14, 2013
    This game had much potential, but like the majority of card games created, it is HEAVILY Pay-to-Play. There are hundreds of dreadful cards that your enemies can use against you, which you can only pray to jeebus will be countered by your own, default-deck cards. You'll need to spend at least half your monthly wage to get anywhere in this game.

For example, each player can use two cards

For example, each player can use two cards each turn, while some cards have additional effects that can be used during the player's turn without affecting their card usage. While this may seem normal, the game relies around using these effects to try and out-cash-whore the other player by using as many of these Pay-to-Play cards as possible. Examples of such card effects are:
    "Stop a card from being destroyed" Making it invincible so long as you have that card
    "Destroy enemy card that this card moves on to" Near-invincible card that insta-kills every other card, no matter how strong they may be.

A definite 0 from me, purely because of the state that the game is in, and I know for certain that it will not be changed in any foreseeable future.
  21. Aug 16, 2013
    Solforge is an excellent online tcg. The game is very fast paced and easy to pick up like checkers but has the depth of chess. You always have to weigh the what benefits you this turn and now vs later.

The people complaining about pay to win just arent very good in general and need something to blame besides their own poor deck building and strategy. So far using the starter cards and maybe 10 packs (most of them won from daily rewards which allow you to get about 20 cards a day) I am 28-2 online avainst real players. Again you get free packs every 22 hours so over time even while spending no money you can get a solid collection.

While it is true there are some cards just plain better than others usually there is a trade off. For example a poor level 1 card may be an amazing level 3 card or vice versa.

The game is very fast paced and is lacking in alot of features right now such as 2 v 2 a campaign etc but for an early release free to play card game it is very addictive easy to learn fun to play and has many layers of strategy.

Give this game a try get some friends on board and check out the steam community for fun matches.

As a side note customer service has been absolutely amazing.

Sorry for any typos writing this from droid.
  22. Jul 28, 2013
    Very good game, but very expensive. Art is fantastic, gameplay is fun, music is good, but if you want to play well you need to buy a lot of card and deck, without that ,you are useless:(
  23. Aug 17, 2013
    I find this game to be a very interesting and fun spin on trading card games. I played Magic and even some of the wow card game but find this one to be very fast paced and just plain fun. Losing isn't as big a deal when the average game takes about 5-10 minutes as compared to some of my ridiculously long MTG battles.
  24. Aug 20, 2013
    Great game overall, lots of potential and believe its headed in the right direction. With some added features this will be one of the best TCG 's out there. I have recommended it to my friends!
  25. Aug 16, 2013
    The game seemed to be entertaining, but here you need to spend A LOT of money. There are other online card games that are similar, but don't require you to spend a lot of cash. Not worth it at all.
  26. Aug 24, 2013
    Game is buggy as crap, horrid servers, horrid bugs, and complete randomness in gameplay. Also a very very pay to win game, buy lots of cards win win win. Very little deck strat if you want to feel good about yourself and have money to spend and time to waste (because for the love of god their servers SUCK and constantly tell me that I am offline check my internet connection even though IGame is buggy as crap, horrid servers, horrid bugs, and complete randomness in gameplay. Also a very very pay to win game, buy lots of cards win win win. Very little deck strat if you want to feel good about yourself and have money to spend and time to waste (because for the love of god their servers SUCK and constantly tell me that I am offline check my internet connection even though I for sure am fine on that end) then get this game otherwise wait for HEX or something else to come out Expand
  27. Aug 16, 2013
    If you are a fan of the brilliance in MTG and the deep strategy that spawns countless hours of playing with friends, then keep looking. This game is to that what "Mary had a little lamb" is to an orchestra playing Beethoven's 5th. In short, it uses childish simplicity in place of strategy. Having played it for hours in an attempt to give it a chance, I've found you can reliably predict theIf you are a fan of the brilliance in MTG and the deep strategy that spawns countless hours of playing with friends, then keep looking. This game is to that what "Mary had a little lamb" is to an orchestra playing Beethoven's 5th. In short, it uses childish simplicity in place of strategy. Having played it for hours in an attempt to give it a chance, I've found you can reliably predict the outcome of any single game (barring stupid mistakes) within a minute or two.

The reason for this is simple there's no ingenuity or real complexity. Mechanics they clout, such as "card leveling" are actually done in such a way as to ruin the long run of a game. Even if that weren't there, it's exclusively a game of creatures advantage and/or pay-to-play advantage cards. The dynamic they tried to build simply does not work, and I'm shocked this game has anything to do with the people behind the good TCGs.

So, if you want to spent a lot of money to get the "good" cards, and if you find strategy and thinking more than a single turn in advance to be scary, then get this game.
    If you want depth, amazing table turning moves of ingenuity with a card you've held onto for just that type of moment, then move on. There's nothing to see here. This game manages to make even winning boring, and that's saying something!
  28. Aug 19, 2013
    This game has promise, alas as of now it burrowed deeply because of the Pay-to-play model, which stems from the reward system.

You see, the player should be rewarded for playing, and not for some random login here and there, or some mystical battles with bots. No. Existing successful free-to-play models on the market (e.g. LoL, World of tanks) allows paying players to progress

Existing successful free-to-play models on the market (e.g. LoL, World of tanks) allows paying players to progress faster, but it does not give them any decisive advantage at all. Yes, there are [rune pages] or [slots for GW], but these 'preferences' are so insignificant that they should not be taken into account.

Is it really THAT hard to implement that simple system? Pay 15$ a month, get +50% silver from 50-coins battle? Oh, and also get consistently growing playerbase as a nice bonus.

No, no! It is much easier to ask a little sum of 19.99$ for a single legendary booster. Just buy it, perhaps you'll get that pretty little treefolk-guy, that (does not) fit so nicely into your Alloyin-Nekrium deck. Pathetic!

Pros:
    ++ Promising battle system
    ++ Big potential to growth
    + Fast, intensive combat
    + Sufficient variety of cards for beta

Cons:
    ---------(and a hundred more) Worthless Pay2win model.
    -- Chaotic distribution of daily bonuses.

So it was a nice kickstarted try, but you need a little more than just a straight "head against the wall"- economic model.

P.s. The people who saying that complaints are based on excuse for losing... Well, I suggest them to expand their gaming experience. You see, pay2win model complaint is not about winning at all, as you may think, its about fair play (fair basis) for all players in the first place. Do you seriously think that a bad player, given 100500 legendaries, would win every match? I feel sorry for you...
  29. Aug 25, 2013
    For those who think this is a "thinker's" game, I have news for you it's not even remotely a thinker's game.

I've played about 25 hours of it. And I've even had fun, but never because I feel like I've stretched my mental muscles and planned a strategy. But it is more fun than Solitaire, and there seems to be an extraordinary number of dumb people out there (look at the 10-score-givers) who either think they are being brilliant when they aren't, or who have paid a lot of money to play.

It's fun if you like simple games, and it is very, very easy to win even against "hard" computer mode. The only time you won't win is if you are card leveling hosed, or playing someone who has a heavy rares and legendaries (read "pay to win").

I still play it but it needs a negative score for the number of bugs and the extremely low intellect required in a strategy game. That's a shame, really.
  30. Sep 15, 2013
    FailForge is an interesting idea, at least for an hour or two, but once you actually know how to play you realize that there's very little depth. Some cards are plain better than others (nothing wrong with that), but the "play 2 cards per turn" system means that the winner is going to be the guy who plays better cards.

There's almost no strategy it's a laughably easy game.
  31. Jan 21, 2014
    My first day was plenty fun, with me getting enough booster packs to keep it interesting. One can make a very effective deck from the starter cards they give you.

Without meaning to stroke my e-peen to fervently, I basically won the vast majority of matches I played, so I went to bed full of confidence, with an overall positive impression of the game, which I thought of as a more simplistic version of MMDoC, but still enjoyable.

The next day left me more pessimistic. One problem is that you quickly run into a wall as with a good winning record you start to get matched against people with vastly superior decks, i.e. those with multiple red star cards in them; the fact I call them "red stars" indicates that I don't have any to know what their actual designation is. It is here where the P2W factor is greatest felt.

To buy a faction starter deck is over $14 and anyone who plays TCG's realizes that buying a deck is no assurance you will get cards to build a competitive hand against non-starter deck players.

Moreover there are no rewards for losses so when you enter into a bracket where decks are significantly red star enriched you are going to lose frequently and can spend a fair amount of time trying to approach the 900 silver necessary to buy a 3 card booster deck at the rate of ~30 silver per win, with matches timing out at 20 minutes per side.

Another problem is how the community and timed matches negatively synergize. Firstly, don't do untimed matches as people seem to start one and then stop playing, waiting for one to get frustrated and concede.

As far as their timed matches go, they have an odd set up where individual rounds aren't timed, but you are given 20 minutes per side per match. Why is this a bad idea? Again because of the notoriously **** communities around TCG's.

As an example I recently finished a match where I played my 2 initial turns in under 30 seconds, and pretty much wiped the player’s units off of the board; this in and of itself can be easily overcome, but instead the jackass walked away from the match, waiting 15 minutes to play their next move, and subsequently letting the timer run down to zero. I think when people feel that they are going to lose they think, **** that guy I will make him pay for that win, and who knows maybe he'll either concede or have to stop playing for some reason. This unsportsmanlike behavior increases the later it gets into the evening.

As if this wasn’t bad enough, they also allow players to play multiple simultaneous matches, which means that even without overt griefing, many matches take far longer than they should as players pop in and out of matches, leaving their opponents waiting on their return; this in turn encourages one to do the same, grossly increasing the time spent in a given match. While this may be fun for others, it is too fragmented a way for me to enjoy playing.

So the bad community, exploitable timer mechanics, and the rapid hard wall threshold for getting new cards without buying decks in $14 increments makes SolForge unlikely to persist on my hard drive. If the decks were priced at $5 then I would throw in some money, but in this case, no way, as I anticipate by the time I put together a competitive red star enriched deck I will have spent more money than I want for this relatively light diversion of a TCG.
  32. Aug 30, 2013
    Bad implementation of the F2P model. You start the game with only 3 decks available to you (you get ~15 cards from ea and you are pretty much forced to play one of them until you open a good amount of booster packs, which will take you a couple of weeks. They could just let you pick like 10-15 cards from a large card pool and hand out the rest to you randomly, but instead they match youBad implementation of the F2P model. You start the game with only 3 decks available to you (you get ~15 cards from ea and you are pretty much forced to play one of them until you open a good amount of booster packs, which will take you a couple of weeks. They could just let you pick like 10-15 cards from a large card pool and hand out the rest to you randomly, but instead they match you against players with complete custom decks. The game just isn't fun to play if you keep getting stomped by better decks and can't do anything about it (at least for free).

Someone might argue with the above paragraph, saying that every deck can win if played correctly, using the right strategy... WRONG! Deck strength means a lot in this game. There are cards that are utter sh.. and lots of them are included in the starter sets. Also, the player who gets first to level 4 usually has a huge advantage, since he can pretty much always play two level 3 cards straight away and get a big advantage on the board. Usually this is enough to win him the game, unless the enemy deck is better. Well, that's fun and clearly involves a lot of strategy...

It might be a fun game to play when you have every card available to you and there might be some decks that may produce great games when matched against each other but most of the time, there's not much room for skill to be involved.
  33. EZ4
    Oct 5, 2013
    Quite entertaining for the first... week. It is a pay to win game, folks claiming that strategy and depth is involved can not be more wrong and delusional. Sure there's free rewards (3 a day) that allow you to get basic decks and very, very rarely rare/legendary cards. If you do not plan on spending quite some money on this game (speaking hundreds), be prepared to be destroyed no matterQuite entertaining for the first... week. It is a pay to win game, folks claiming that strategy and depth is involved can not be more wrong and delusional. Sure there's free rewards (3 a day) that allow you to get basic decks and very, very rarely rare/legendary cards. If you do not plan on spending quite some money on this game (speaking hundreds), be prepared to be destroyed no matter how you plan your moves right. You can get excited playing your first cards thinking you've won the game, and just instantly succumb to the unmatched heavy cards someone else paid for. It is fun to try for a short time, but depth is lacking. No chat option, no friend list, very bare overall. And if two opponents are facing one another with that good money they spent, it is only a matter of seconds before one destroys the other with overly powered cards. Games barely last 5 minutes, if you like fast paced card games this may be your temporary niche. Now free to play games need to make money, and I have spent quite a few on them but hundreds over a non polished, broken tactical game, no thank you. If I were a rich boy wanting to feel power over a virtual game, I would rate this one better. Expand
  34. Jan 25, 2014
    Pay for power is taken to a whole new level is solforge. You'll never even become an ok player without shelling out serious money.

Spoiler: Below is the greatest strategic advice in solforge.
    Go do a 12 hour shift at work and pour the money into your deck.

Also very buggy.
  35. Feb 14, 2015
    As Online Trading Card Games go, SolForge is unimpressive. It is Pay2Win, no doubt about it. Not as bad as other games I've played, but still pay2win if less overt.
    It is a "little" different from other MtG clones. But it still has the staples of what makes MtG clones boring with the exception of useless mana, that is a plus.
    ~Starting Out~ You start off with a mixed bag of common

~Starting Out~
    You start off with a mixed bag of common card from each of the 4 factions, lets just call it what they are, Black, Green, Red, and White; or Death, Life, Fire, and Machine respectively.
    The Tutorial gives you the idea of game play fairly well.
    There is a bit of bait and switch from when you first start playing and what happens later. After you play the tutorial you get silver (non cash in-game money) and a booster pack, after that you get a pack and ton more silver up until your 10th win agaisnt the AI or real oppent. After that, wins only get you 25 silver. No more booster packs, just silver. The booster packs for new cards cost 2000 silver.

~The Factions~
    Anyone that has played MtG will have a good idea about the different styles of "Black, Green, Red, White" No surprises, No new ideas.
    You can only use 2 different factions in your deck (30 cards Total)
    You can only play 2 cards from your hand per turn, after which your hand and deck is reshuffled together. An interesting gimmick of the game play is that it is possible to redraw the same card(s) you just played on the field and replay the clone if you like.
    The creature and spell cards level-up during the game as you play becoming slightly more powerful on a 1-3 (or 4 if you paid money) scale.
    Creatures have "summoning sickness" so they cannot attack the turn you play it. (Unless they have the MtG verison ability that lets them)
    There is a 5 spaces on each side of the field, your row and your opponent's row. Each of the 5 opposing spaces are lanes. Creatures in will only attack the creautre in the lane or lifepoints directly if no opposing creature fills it.
    There is an attack/Life score on each creature. So gameplay is basically a delyed verison of beatstick.
    Again, creature abilities are pretty much copy/pasted from there MtG alter egos.

~The Community~
    Ah yes, the unknown factor that can either make a subpar game bearable or an okay game unplayable. Spoiler its the worse of both worlds.
    The community has its head throughtly up its own rear-end. And a common play style is to queue in the unlimited time limit games and just sit there until the other player forfeits the match. As of now 9:40pm February 14th 2015; My first and only unlimited timer game has been going on for over 24 hours.

So yeah don't waste your time. This game is one of those fly-by-night coiner games that won't be around by this time next year.
  36. Mar 2, 2015
    Doesn't feel pay to win as most of the negative reviews are first to point out. I mean you can get free boosters and tickets for tournaments from playing computers or online players. The new campaign will give you free legendries. Though I recommend spending 5$ just for the starter items you can get for practically nothing in the shop. But that's just 5 bucks no real sinking of funds for aDoesn't feel pay to win as most of the negative reviews are first to point out. I mean you can get free boosters and tickets for tournaments from playing computers or online players. The new campaign will give you free legendries. Though I recommend spending 5$ just for the starter items you can get for practically nothing in the shop. But that's just 5 bucks no real sinking of funds for a pretty fun game. I have done like 10 turnies since I started all free and won loads of boosters and silver.

I don't like to write reviews criticizing negative ones or defending games but it just hurts too see some of what people are saying. There is a very deep strategy to the game and I think most of the people who disagree only played the game right when it came out.
  37. Jun 30, 2014
    As fun as this game could be, it needs some serious patching. Not for bugs or anything - it actually works just fine, it's super simple after all. But the online match timers need to be adjusted to a "per turn" basis, like hearthstone, instead of giving each player 20 minutes for their entire match. What that leads to is people just playing a card and walking away, so you have to wait aAs fun as this game could be, it needs some serious patching. Not for bugs or anything - it actually works just fine, it's super simple after all. But the online match timers need to be adjusted to a "per turn" basis, like hearthstone, instead of giving each player 20 minutes for their entire match. What that leads to is people just playing a card and walking away, so you have to wait a full 20 minutes for THEIR timer to run to zero so you can collect a win, it's so lame. Not sure why people do that, but there needs to be a better system in place to speed up matches and punish these mouth breathers.

It's definitely P2W, so I mostly just play against the computer for daily prizes and when I do play against a human it's 50/50 win/loss. If the player stays to play I'll get destroyed because most players have decks that will decimate a new players' deck, and half the time i get a player who just goes afk and I get a default win after 20+ minutes.

So based on that, can't really recommend it, it's pretty much a waste of time. It COULD be fun, but not in it's current state.
  38. Feb 5, 2014
    Deep and addictive game. You get to create your collection out of the daily wins free or buy packs to speed up the process.
    I stopped playing MTG because the draft tournaments here got me hooked.
    I also like the community who is really helpful with newer players on the forums. Try it out, it's free!
  39. May 14, 2014
    Great game. I have a poker player background (=mixed with quite a bit of nerdiness), so I love the RNG mechanic. I think it adds an element of excitement, and besides, anyone who is familiar with statistical concepts knows that randomness only increases variance - your overall win rate will not be impacted.

Regarding the pay-to-play complaints: it's true that attempting to put together

Regarding the pay-to-play complaints: it's true that attempting to put together a complete collection without spending any money would take forever, if not be downright impossible. However, if you like the game and it's mechanics, you don't have to own every card. Furthermore, there are legitimate free avenues to obtaining premium cards, such as winning the draft tournament.

Bottom line: SBE has put together a game that supports a variety of play styles, that balances both strategy and tactics, supported by gorgeous art on the cards themselves.
  40. May 28, 2014
    TL;DR: Fun, but costs the price of a full retail video game game to get a basic constructed deck built., and an enormous amount to acquire a complete collection.

I find this game to be quite a bit of fun. Having logged close to 60 hours between PC and iOS versions, I can say that I think it is a convenient way to pacify my MTG draft habits with great convenience. As others have stated, it is quite an expensive game. To get a Tier 1 deck (the easiest to currently acquire being Yetis) I had to spend around $40. I have spend $80 total thus far and have a good grasp on the mechanics of the game and have played it much more than I usually would play a $60 release title with DLC. I feel that some cost is acceptable, but the fact that I have spent this much and am nowhere near close to completing my collection is unacceptable. That should cost $100 at the very most, or should be easier to achieve as a F2P option. That being said, it should be easier to acquire legendary cards, as many of them are crucial components to playing the game at all in constructed formats. Much like MTGO, it should be possible to play tournaments by trading in a small number of tickets in addition to acquired booster packs. I fear that SolForge's inaccessibility will be its downfall, as fresh blood is easily (and rightly) intimidated by the cost and will as a result become hard to find.

There are no critic reviews yet.