6.8

1. TCG
    Aug 20, 2013
    Pros: It's free (at least right now) to play at a basic level. Additionally, you get daily login rewards.

Cons: It has NO depth to it. I am utterly convinced people who give this a 10 are literally in the employ of the makers of the game, or just don't enjoy strategy. I can count on one hand the number of times I've lost in 4 days of playing the game, and I still find no satisfaction in it.
    The complaints you see here are valid, and I don't really need to reiterate it. All i can say is this it's got no depth, and strategy is so simple you have to choose to play several games at once to make yourself think. You lose all cards in your hand every turn, and the only strategy is keeping your lanes filled with creatures. Do that and you WILL win, unless another poor mechanic interferes (like card leveling it is quite hit or miss).

If you like Magic the Gathering, then this is a comparison you might understand. This is MUCH closer to playing plants vs zombies than it is Magic the gathering. So, heck, if you like that game a lot, maybe you will like this.

And in all fairness, some people like brainless games, and by all means, have fun. I'm placing this here as a warning for those who like strategy and want to play a game where they have to think ahead. This just isn't that game. If that doesn't matter, then honestly you might have a good time. Good luck!
  2. Feb 11, 2014
    Uninstalled SolForge today, which at some level is a shame because without the P2W aspects it was a fun, albeit low strategy CG, but it does highlight the difference between how gamers and F2P devs define what is a “good” game.

Unfortunately games that follow the Asian F2P whale model task the developers to build a “good” game from a gamer’s POV while simultaneously breaking balance in a way that can only be ameliorated with a credit card.

From this gamer’s perspective a “good” CG offers a level playing field emphasizing skill by increasing strategy (in deck construction to maximize card synergy and in variety of play style choices during a match), decreasing luck of the draw aspects (leaving just enough fate to keep it interesting, but not so much to make it feel random), and striving to have balance between card choices.

In contrast from an Asian model F2P dev’s perspective a “good” CG game is one that drives whales to obsessively use the cash shop to increase their chances of getting overpowered cards relative to those commonly available through in game currency transactions; it is a basic intermittent positive reinforcement operant conditioning design to foster compulsive spending.

In this model cash flow can be maximized by downplaying strategy to favor accessibility (also a problem in B2P these days), luck of the draw is increased so one can never feel quite secure enough with their decks, as well as allowing less skilled players to stand a better chance of also winning, and by purposely breaking balance so one is constantly striving to fill their decks with more OP cards than their competitors.

Specifically the SolForge monetization pit is built around the absurdly imbalanced legendary cards and the increasing of rank of cards.

While the gambling aspects of trying to acquire OP legendary cards in bulk booster pack purchases is obviously a cash grab, the leveling of cards is a more subtle monetization tactic.

At first I thought leveling was a cool idea as I always like playing games where I can nurture my units with experience to greater power, but here it is used to further exaggerate card imbalance. While on average a legendary level I card is somewhat more beneficial than non-legendary one, it usually isn’t in a game breaking way; it is at end game when level III is achieved that the P2W aspect manifests in full, and games come to an abrupt end, virtually always at the expense of the non-whale without red star cards.

So one can break open their wallets and start enriching their decks with reds (but don’t be surprised if you just end up losing in turn to a larger whale) or try to enjoy the game with the exclusion of legendaries, smartly avoiding the overt monetization mechanics by immediately dropping from matches when a legendary comes into play; if one is a small fish in a sea of whales you are going to have to accept that you'll be taking the whale bone frequently, and don't expect the devs to step in because they designed the F2P game to foster just that feeling of unjust frustration on the loser's part, and the thrill of crushing victory on the whale's side.

So since the whales are paying to keep the game afloat, the freebie players need to respect that and give them their due, but one should feel absolutely no responsibility to get ridden for longer than necessary. Just immediately concede and get on with a balanced match in spite of the SolForge dev's intentions. By analogy I wouldn’t find it entertaining to join in a seven card stud tournament, where I am restricted to five cards; could I win, perhaps, but obviously the cards would be stacked against me, so why bother?

I do like seeing the non-heroic/non-legendary player sponsored tournaments in the forums, but of course even their existence points to the ugly pink whale in the middle of the room.

This last day of playing, even among decks of comparable strength, I found the sheer luck factor was too much for me to ignore. We have all been there where in late game the opponent is playing out III’s and II’s and by the chance of the draw we get a hand of I’s which stinks to lose in such a way. Conversely I can’t help but to feel sympathetic when I just played out a couple of III’s and the opposing player blocks with two level I’s; you kind of want to send them a “sorry” emote.

Lastly I think such power disparity fosters a virulent community of frustrated players that in my experience won’t think twice about walking away from a match to slowly let the timer run down once the realize they lost, as if to say ♥♥♥♥ you.

Give me a B2P CG where everyone has access to all of the cards, and I’ll pull out my credit card happily, but there is no way I am going to constantly ride the red legendary dragon FTW! ;)
  3. Aug 14, 2013
    This game had much potential, but like the majority of card games created, it is HEAVILY Pay-to-Play. There are hundreds of dreadful cards that your enemies can use against you, which you can only pray to jeebus will be countered by your own, default-deck cards. You'll need to spend at least half your monthly wage to get anywhere in this game.

For example, each player can use two cards

For example, each player can use two cards each turn, while some cards have additional effects that can be used during the player's turn without affecting their card usage. While this may seem normal, the game relies around using these effects to try and out-cash-whore the other player by using as many of these Pay-to-Play cards as possible. Examples of such card effects are:
    "Stop a card from being destroyed" Making it invincible so long as you have that card
    "Destroy enemy card that this card moves on to" Near-invincible card that insta-kills every other card, no matter how strong they may be.

A definite 0 from me, purely because of the state that the game is in, and I know for certain that it will not be changed in any foreseeable future.
  4. Aug 16, 2013
    The game seemed to be entertaining, but here you need to spend A LOT of money. There are other online card games that are similar, but don't require you to spend a lot of cash. Not worth it at all.
  5. Aug 24, 2013
    Game is buggy as crap, horrid servers, horrid bugs, and complete randomness in gameplay. Also a very very pay to win game, buy lots of cards win win win. Very little deck strat if you want to feel good about yourself and have money to spend and time to waste (because for the love of god their servers SUCK and constantly tell me that I am offline check my internet connection even though IGame is buggy as crap, horrid servers, horrid bugs, and complete randomness in gameplay. Also a very very pay to win game, buy lots of cards win win win. Very little deck strat if you want to feel good about yourself and have money to spend and time to waste (because for the love of god their servers SUCK and constantly tell me that I am offline check my internet connection even though I for sure am fine on that end) then get this game otherwise wait for HEX or something else to come out Expand
  6. Aug 16, 2013
    If you are a fan of the brilliance in MTG and the deep strategy that spawns countless hours of playing with friends, then keep looking. This game is to that what "Mary had a little lamb" is to an orchestra playing Beethoven's 5th. In short, it uses childish simplicity in place of strategy. Having played it for hours in an attempt to give it a chance, I've found you can reliably predict theIf you are a fan of the brilliance in MTG and the deep strategy that spawns countless hours of playing with friends, then keep looking. This game is to that what "Mary had a little lamb" is to an orchestra playing Beethoven's 5th. In short, it uses childish simplicity in place of strategy. Having played it for hours in an attempt to give it a chance, I've found you can reliably predict the outcome of any single game (barring stupid mistakes) within a minute or two.

The reason for this is simple there's no ingenuity or real complexity. Mechanics they clout, such as "card leveling" are actually done in such a way as to ruin the long run of a game. Even if that weren't there, it's exclusively a game of creatures advantage and/or pay-to-play advantage cards. The dynamic they tried to build simply does not work, and I'm shocked this game has anything to do with the people behind the good TCGs.

So, if you want to spent a lot of money to get the "good" cards, and if you find strategy and thinking more than a single turn in advance to be scary, then get this game.
    If you want depth, amazing table turning moves of ingenuity with a card you've held onto for just that type of moment, then move on. There's nothing to see here. This game manages to make even winning boring, and that's saying something!
  7. Aug 19, 2013
    This game has promise, alas as of now it burrowed deeply because of the Pay-to-play model, which stems from the reward system.

You see, the player should be rewarded for playing, and not for some random login here and there, or some mystical battles with bots. No. Existing successful free-to-play models on the market (e.g. LoL, World of tanks) allows paying players to progress

Existing successful free-to-play models on the market (e.g. LoL, World of tanks) allows paying players to progress faster, but it does not give them any decisive advantage at all. Yes, there are [rune pages] or [slots for GW], but these 'preferences' are so insignificant that they should not be taken into account.

Is it really THAT hard to implement that simple system? Pay 15$ a month, get +50% silver from 50-coins battle? Oh, and also get consistently growing playerbase as a nice bonus.

No, no! It is much easier to ask a little sum of 19.99$ for a single legendary booster. Just buy it, perhaps you'll get that pretty little treefolk-guy, that (does not) fit so nicely into your Alloyin-Nekrium deck. Pathetic!

Pros:
    ++ Promising battle system
    ++ Big potential to growth
    + Fast, intensive combat
    + Sufficient variety of cards for beta

Cons:
    ---------(and a hundred more) Worthless Pay2win model.
    -- Chaotic distribution of daily bonuses.

So it was a nice kickstarted try, but you need a little more than just a straight "head against the wall"- economic model.

P.s. The people who saying that complaints are based on excuse for losing... Well, I suggest them to expand their gaming experience. You see, pay2win model complaint is not about winning at all, as you may think, its about fair play (fair basis) for all players in the first place. Do you seriously think that a bad player, given 100500 legendaries, would win every match? I feel sorry for you...
  8. Aug 25, 2013
    For those who think this is a "thinker's" game, I have news for you it's not even remotely a thinker's game.

I've played about 25 hours of it. And I've even had fun, but never because I feel like I've stretched my mental muscles and planned a strategy. But it is more fun than Solitaire, and there seems to be an extraordinary number of dumb people out there (look at the 10-score-givers) who either think they are being brilliant when they aren't, or who have paid a lot of money to play.

It's fun if you like simple games, and it is very, very easy to win even against "hard" computer mode. The only time you won't win is if you are card leveling hosed, or playing someone who has a heavy rares and legendaries (read "pay to win").

I still play it but it needs a negative score for the number of bugs and the extremely low intellect required in a strategy game. That's a shame, really.
  9. Aug 30, 2013
    Bad implementation of the F2P model. You start the game with only 3 decks available to you (you get ~15 cards from ea and you are pretty much forced to play one of them until you open a good amount of booster packs, which will take you a couple of weeks. They could just let you pick like 10-15 cards from a large card pool and hand out the rest to you randomly, but instead they match youBad implementation of the F2P model. You start the game with only 3 decks available to you (you get ~15 cards from ea and you are pretty much forced to play one of them until you open a good amount of booster packs, which will take you a couple of weeks. They could just let you pick like 10-15 cards from a large card pool and hand out the rest to you randomly, but instead they match you against players with complete custom decks. The game just isn't fun to play if you keep getting stomped by better decks and can't do anything about it (at least for free).

Someone might argue with the above paragraph, saying that every deck can win if played correctly, using the right strategy... WRONG! Deck strength means a lot in this game. There are cards that are utter sh.. and lots of them are included in the starter sets. Also, the player who gets first to level 4 usually has a huge advantage, since he can pretty much always play two level 3 cards straight away and get a big advantage on the board. Usually this is enough to win him the game, unless the enemy deck is better. Well, that's fun and clearly involves a lot of strategy...

It might be a fun game to play when you have every card available to you and there might be some decks that may produce great games when matched against each other but most of the time, there's not much room for skill to be involved.
  10. EZ4
    Oct 5, 2013
    Quite entertaining for the first... week. It is a pay to win game, folks claiming that strategy and depth is involved can not be more wrong and delusional. Sure there's free rewards (3 a day) that allow you to get basic decks and very, very rarely rare/legendary cards. If you do not plan on spending quite some money on this game (speaking hundreds), be prepared to be destroyed no matterQuite entertaining for the first... week. It is a pay to win game, folks claiming that strategy and depth is involved can not be more wrong and delusional. Sure there's free rewards (3 a day) that allow you to get basic decks and very, very rarely rare/legendary cards. If you do not plan on spending quite some money on this game (speaking hundreds), be prepared to be destroyed no matter how you plan your moves right. You can get excited playing your first cards thinking you've won the game, and just instantly succumb to the unmatched heavy cards someone else paid for. It is fun to try for a short time, but depth is lacking. No chat option, no friend list, very bare overall. And if two opponents are facing one another with that good money they spent, it is only a matter of seconds before one destroys the other with overly powered cards. Games barely last 5 minutes, if you like fast paced card games this may be your temporary niche. Now free to play games need to make money, and I have spent quite a few on them but hundreds over a non polished, broken tactical game, no thank you. If I were a rich boy wanting to feel power over a virtual game, I would rate this one better. Expand
  11. Jan 25, 2014
    Pay for power is taken to a whole new level is solforge. You'll never even become an ok player without shelling out serious money.

Spoiler: Below is the greatest strategic advice in solforge.
    Go do a 12 hour shift at work and pour the money into your deck.

Also very buggy.
  12. Feb 14, 2015
    As Online Trading Card Games go, SolForge is unimpressive. It is Pay2Win, no doubt about it. Not as bad as other games I've played, but still pay2win if less overt.
    It is a "little" different from other MtG clones. But it still has the staples of what makes MtG clones boring with the exception of useless mana, that is a plus.
    ~Starting Out~ You start off with a mixed bag of common

~Starting Out~
    You start off with a mixed bag of common card from each of the 4 factions, lets just call it what they are, Black, Green, Red, and White; or Death, Life, Fire, and Machine respectively.
    The Tutorial gives you the idea of game play fairly well.
    There is a bit of bait and switch from when you first start playing and what happens later. After you play the tutorial you get silver (non cash in-game money) and a booster pack, after that you get a pack and ton more silver up until your 10th win agaisnt the AI or real oppent. After that, wins only get you 25 silver. No more booster packs, just silver. The booster packs for new cards cost 2000 silver.

~The Factions~
    Anyone that has played MtG will have a good idea about the different styles of "Black, Green, Red, White" No surprises, No new ideas.
    You can only use 2 different factions in your deck (30 cards Total)
    You can only play 2 cards from your hand per turn, after which your hand and deck is reshuffled together. An interesting gimmick of the game play is that it is possible to redraw the same card(s) you just played on the field and replay the clone if you like.
    The creature and spell cards level-up during the game as you play becoming slightly more powerful on a 1-3 (or 4 if you paid money) scale.
    Creatures have "summoning sickness" so they cannot attack the turn you play it. (Unless they have the MtG verison ability that lets them)
    There is a 5 spaces on each side of the field, your row and your opponent's row. Each of the 5 opposing spaces are lanes. Creatures in will only attack the creautre in the lane or lifepoints directly if no opposing creature fills it.
    There is an attack/Life score on each creature. So gameplay is basically a delyed verison of beatstick.
    Again, creature abilities are pretty much copy/pasted from there MtG alter egos.

~The Community~
    Ah yes, the unknown factor that can either make a subpar game bearable or an okay game unplayable. Spoiler its the worse of both worlds.
    The community has its head throughtly up its own rear-end. And a common play style is to queue in the unlimited time limit games and just sit there until the other player forfeits the match. As of now 9:40pm February 14th 2015; My first and only unlimited timer game has been going on for over 24 hours.

So yeah don't waste your time. This game is one of those fly-by-night coiner games that won't be around by this time next year.

There are no critic reviews yet.