6.9

1. Aug 16, 2013
    Solforge is an excellent online tcg. The game is very fast paced and easy to pick up like checkers but has the depth of chess. You always have to weigh the what benefits you this turn and now vs later.

The people complaining about pay to win just arent very good in general and need something to blame besides their own poor deck building and strategy. So far using the starter cards and
    maybe 10 packs (most of them won from daily rewards which allow you to get about 20 cards a day) I am 28-2 online avainst real players. Again you get free packs every 22 hours so over time even while spending no money you can get a solid collection.

While it is true there are some cards just plain better than others usually there is a trade off. For example a poor level 1 card may be an amazing level 3 card or vice versa.

The game is very fast paced and is lacking in alot of features right now such as 2 v 2 a campaign etc but for an early release free to play card game it is very addictive easy to learn fun to play and has many layers of strategy.

Give this game a try get some friends on board and check out the steam community for fun matches.

As a side note customer service has been absolutely amazing.

Sorry for any typos writing this from droid.
  2. Jul 28, 2013
    Very good game, but very expensive. Art is fantastic, gameplay is fun, music is good, but if you want to play well you need to buy a lot of card and deck, without that ,you are useless:(
  3. Aug 19, 2013
    Love the game so far. Daily rewards for logging in and winning a few games. Lots of depth and replayability. Worth downloading. Can't wait for them to get out of beta and have some more in-depth features like ranking and limited play. Probably the best tablet-based CCG there is.
  4. Aug 20, 2013
    I had a really great fun while playing this, it´s very addictive. I have been playing only for 4 days now, but I really do not think, that this game is pay to win. If you complete the daily missions you get plenty of cards to play with. Easy to learn game with great art.
  5. Aug 17, 2013
    I find this game to be a very interesting and fun spin on trading card games. I played Magic and even some of the wow card game but find this one to be very fast paced and just plain fun. Losing isn't as big a deal when the average game takes about 5-10 minutes as compared to some of my ridiculously long MTG battles.
  6. Aug 19, 2013
    Solforge is still in early beta, and is an extremely well designed game with tons of potential. It is having some connectivity issues right now, and still has a lot of important features that won't be implemented for a few more months, but even without those features the game is incredibly fun and addictive. I can't wait for draft and trading to come out in a couple of months.

I think
    the criticism that it is "pay 2 win" are a little unfair. The legendary cards really aren't on a different power level than the rest, and I think people just like to make excuses when they lose. Especially since they are probably brand new players downloading the game for the first time playing vs people that have been in the alpha for months, backed the game from kickstarter, so have a little head start on their collections. Then they lose to the person who has months more experience, knows the game very well, and just happens to have better cards also, but then they just blame it on the better cards... Nah. The game is well balanced and once you have enough cards under your belt (daily reward logins), you can make some pretty awesome and competitive decks. Expand
  7. Aug 20, 2013
    Great game overall, lots of potential and believe its headed in the right direction. With some added features this will be one of the best TCG 's out there. I have recommended it to my friends!
  8. Aug 25, 2013
    Been playing in the community tournaments on the forums and having lots of fun. The game has tons of depth and strategy. It's not quite as polished or have a super pretty client, but it's still just a functionally wonderful game at its heart. I've been playing it like 5 hours a day for the past week.
  9. Aug 27, 2013
    Been coming here for years, and never felt the need to review a game. But after reading some of these ridiculous "0" star reviews, I've got to defend solforge.
    Yes, the game had some connectivity issues on release. That's what a beta is for. Those have been mostly fixed.
    All CCGs are "pay2win" to a certain extent. None are 100% free to play. Solforge is MOSTLY free to play and is more
    free to play than Magic or even Hearthstone. It's daily reward system is incredibly generous for giving away free packs.
    It is also an incredibly deep game. It is one of the easiest CCGs for newcomers to learn, but the game has a substantial amount of depth. I have no idea what the people who are giving it 0 stars and saying it is all luck and no depth are thinking or if they just "don't get it". Some people really like to blame losing on bad luck and everything else as opposed to learning and tweaking their deck to make it better.

Solforge is the best purely digital CCG I've ever seen. It's the only one that is as great on the iPad as it is on the PC.
  10. Dec 15, 2013
    I've been playing Solforge for awhile now and love it. I'm also playing the Hex alpha and Hearthstone beta but I find Solforge to be the most fun to play by far. The game is relatively easy to pick up and learn but difficult to master. It is a TCG at its core, so you'll need to collect free daily rewards for awhile to build a good deck unless you want to invest a bit of cash. You do start with a fair amount of cards though for free so it's easy to pick up and start playing/learning the game immediately. It's unfortunate to see a number of negative reviews on here. I agree that the game does not have the same depth of strategy as MTG (of which I've played for 20 years) but it is a very fun alternative. I find that there is room for both games in my library. I would highly recommend giving it a try for free. Expand
  11. Oct 13, 2013
    Reviews of zero may be missing the "Beta" status. Current game is still ruff on presentation, but the core game mechanics are in place.
    The Developers have recently implemented a matchmaking system that has resulted in more balanced matches. I was tempted to quite before matchmaking because it is very apparent that some players have spent a few pennies on there decks. You can earn a
    random number of free card packs each day so this advantage will wear off over time until new card packs are released. I have not found a way to trade cards yet.
    The current card pool is pretty small. There are 4 factions with about 50 cards each. You can only use 2 factions and 3 copies of a card in your set limit 30 card deck. Each faction has a theme and are fairly balanced. Some faction combos work better then others. Alloyin Tempys is a hard deck to run without multiple rare cards. My preferred combo is Alloyin Uterra currently.
    The level up mechanics on the cards are the key to victory. Ensuring you have cards that will be viable in more then one level and the ability to anticipate your opponents cards is important. The game feels a bit like YuGiOh, but with out facedown card stalling. There are no trap cards as of yet but magic cards are strong.
    Now is a great time to give the game a try.
  12. Nov 28, 2013
    Great game, the gameplay as well as the deck building has depth. Depending which cards to play and level up is often what decides a game. Playing a strong level one creature and gaining early game dominance or playing a weak early game for awesome late game level three cards are both strategies that can have game-changing impact. And for those saying that it is pay to win, it is simply not true. Daily rewards can be obtained just by spending ten minutes a day against AI computers, and the rewards can contain silver, single cards, or packs. I am a free player and I've already gotten several legendary cards just from daily rewards. Overall this is a great game and I highly recommend a try. I give this review a nine for great gameplay strategies, and great daily rewards that help free players like me. With the only downside is that the campaign mode is still under construction. Expand
  13. Dec 12, 2013
    This game is a lot of fun. It is quite easy to pick up but requires more strategy than you would think. It's nice that the game is completely free. Competitive play requires some investment of money but daily reward to casual players are quite generous.

The daily rewards also mean that strategic deck building continually evolves as new cards are gained. For a game still in open beta,
    they have achieved a fun game with a very vibrant community. Expand
  14. Dec 12, 2013
    SolForge is the best trading card game on iOS, thanks mostly to the generous reward structure which hooked me in the first place, and the fast rate of play compared to some of the more deliberate card games on the App Store.
  15. Dec 15, 2013
    Very fun game! My brothers and I love playing this when friends come over because a game doesn't take too long and we can cheer each other on and give advice about what cards to play.
  16. Dec 15, 2013
    SolForge has a unique gameplay mechanic in its leveling system, a surprisingly deep strategy for its simple rules, and a very generous daily reward system. The game is still in development, so a lot of the key features such as trading and campaign mode are not yet available, but the devs have been doing their best to keep everything moving along.

The prices on their products are a bit
    on the high end, but I've had very little trouble building a top-tier competitive deck without paying anything at all, just understanding appropriate deckbuilding and playing strategy. Yes, there are difficult-to-acquire cards that are very good, but there are also a ton of very good (and often underrated) common cards.

If you're looking for a polished game with lots of fancy graphics, you should probably go somewhere else for right now, but SolForge has the best mechanics and strategy of any of the new DCGs out there right now.
  17. Dec 15, 2013
    First thing to remember about SolForge is that it's in early beta and that new features are being added ASAP. Second is that it's a TCG (trading is being implemented soon). Last thing to remember is that you get a bunch of free cards every day just for playing.

I've played nearly every DCG that's currently out (not the Hex alpha since I didn't Kickstart it) including Hearthstone and
    SolForge is the only one that's managed to keep my attention. Gameplay is simple to learn draw five cards a turn and play two of them, and the two you play level up, the rest are discarded. Every four turns you reshuffle your discard pile into your deck and draw your cards again (regardless if a creature you played is still on the field or not).The pace of the game starts off nice and easy but the later it gets the more it accelerates.

A few people have claimed that it's luck-based, and to some extent that's true, but it's less than other games like M:tG and HS. By seeing five new cards a turn you can usually accurately predict what you're going to draw based on how you built your deck and how you've played it up until then.

Tournaments and Drafting should also be implemented very soon along with a card of the day/week feature as I believe that SBE has already submitted the patch to Apple (it's currently cross-platform with iPad and PC, soon to be iPhone and Android as well). Each account should earn enough tournament tickets to enter a free draft once a week, which will really help new players cherry pick how they want to build their collection and provide a way for players who want to play games that don't take collections in to account to play again and again.

Along with that, you should get quite a few cards a week and silver to buy packs pretty quickly I've got several F2P accounts and each one after only a week or two had a focused deck that was pretty good and I was able to beat most people with (not counting top players with highly tuned decks, but that's to be expected).

My recommendation is that you try SolForge and stay with it for about two weeks before you make a decision. At that point you should have gotten to draft a couple times (at least) and built your collection and learned your way around the game. Make sure to stop by the official forums and Steam group chat as well plenty of people are willing to help you with deck building, play and your questions.
  18. Dec 15, 2013
    Solforge is the best TCG out there. It is still in beta phase so other reviewers need to chill out. Easy to learn, rich and tactical gameplay. Learning to build an effective deck with synergy that plays to the skills of your cards to win the game is the most enjoyable part. Download it on your ipad and try it out!
  19. Jan 14, 2014
    This is a fantastic game. I can't wait to see how it develops over time. As for people rating it zero and complaining about it being free to play, how is that any different than MTG/MTGO??? You buy packs until you get the cards you want or order them off ebay. Nerds just buy the cards they want off ebay for a few bucks each. This is no different except that it's all virtual. The game holds similarities to MTG but is refreshingly different. No resource management works well for the system they've developed. Card rarity is similar to magic as well. You have some rares that are almost game-breaking and other that just suck, the same can be said with commons. It feels just as balanced as MTG.

One negative is that there is no way to influence your opponent during their turn. I understand that they are working on a solution to this in the form of Structure cards. The game is in Beta so there is much more to come to be sure.

I'm really excited to see how the game evolves. I think it has the potential to blow duels of the planeswalkers out of the water. One next step should be to increase the quality of the card art. CCG fans are suckers for card art...

Only getting a 9 because it's not a finished product.
  20. Feb 5, 2014
    Deep and addictive game. You get to create your collection out of the daily wins free or buy packs to speed up the process.
    I stopped playing MTG because the draft tournaments here got me hooked.
    I also like the community who is really helpful with newer players on the forums. Try it out, it's free!

There are no critic reviews yet.