8.3

1. Feb 3, 2013
    This game doesn't feel like Mario Kart but even with that said this is the most fun I've had playing a mascot racer since Mario Kart 64, feeling more like an outrun game with Mascots this game takes to the air, water tarmarc to provide plenty of fast heart pounding races. As a port, it's brilliant, not capped at 30fps and has full 1080p support as well as other small graphical tweaksThis game doesn't feel like Mario Kart but even with that said this is the most fun I've had playing a mascot racer since Mario Kart 64, feeling more like an outrun game with Mascots this game takes to the air, water tarmarc to provide plenty of fast heart pounding races. As a port, it's brilliant, not capped at 30fps and has full 1080p support as well as other small graphical tweaks which makes this the best looking and running version you can buy. The main strengths of this game are the amazing track designs and the surprisingly awesome soundtrack (I say surprising because Sega soundtracks tend to suck IMHO) with plenty of imaginative and modernised takes on classic soundtracks. The water play isn't great but luckily it isn't used as often as the fantastic air and land sections. Expand
  2. Feb 12, 2013
    The best kart racer since Diddy Kong Racing. The tracks are wonderful and clever, there are all sorts of things to unlock in the "world tour" mode (which is kind of like a map where you unlock different areas), and split-screen with two players was great with no fps drops on my HD6870. Looks amazing on PC, too. Crisp textures, no pop-in ever, smooth framerate. Can't wait to get someThe best kart racer since Diddy Kong Racing. The tracks are wonderful and clever, there are all sorts of things to unlock in the "world tour" mode (which is kind of like a map where you unlock different areas), and split-screen with two players was great with no fps drops on my HD6870. Looks amazing on PC, too. Crisp textures, no pop-in ever, smooth framerate. Can't wait to get some 4-player action going. Just buy it already. Expand
  3. Feb 8, 2013
    First off, i want to thank Sega for bringing this brilliant and extremely fun game to Pc I was looking forward to this game for a long time, as for i really enjoyed the first one, and (fluid) race and kart games in general. I first played the demo for Ps3, but the frame rate ruined it for me. I always wanted to buy the Pc game on release, but the Pc version was delayed, and at my localFirst off, i want to thank Sega for bringing this brilliant and extremely fun game to Pc I was looking forward to this game for a long time, as for i really enjoyed the first one, and (fluid) race and kart games in general. I first played the demo for Ps3, but the frame rate ruined it for me. I always wanted to buy the Pc game on release, but the Pc version was delayed, and at my local game shop they told me it was cancelled. I still had hopes the Pc version would still be released, and to back that feeling up, i bought the Ps3 version, knowing i wasn't going to like it, but the main reason was, to back Sega up on this one. I installed the Ps3 version played it once, and put it on my shelf. But then there was February the first, I bought the game through steam, at a little discount, but still felt i was ripping Sega of, because i truly love this game Its awesome (I do have to say i owned the Master System through to the 32X, so you know, there's a little bit of nostalgic reasons here) I like every aspect of the game, it runs incredibly smooth on my system, the frame rate is buttery smooth, (I just had to use this saying once) the graphics sharp and crisp, (turn blur off) the sound great, music really fitting and uplifting. Games like this make me truly happy, and thankful for the fact i can still play games like this. I really laugh and smile allot when playing this game, but once i putt down my controller, my grumpy face sacks back, and my depressions kick back in again :D Times are hard... I Really would like to say to the Pc community, please buy this game If you like race and or kart games, it's brilliant I know there's allot of pirating in the Pc community, i did it allot my self, and probably will do it again, if they lock the next generation up as they are planning. This generation though, i bought EVERYTHING for my Wii, Ps3, and Pc, if you want to try it, download it, but please buy it if you like it Games like this should be supported, and i know this game will probably sell like S**t, but it DOES NOT deserve that. It's absolutely great on Pc The only thing i dislike about Pc gaming since i went back to it in 2011, after, well... about 13 years, are the damn cheaters. I don't care about offline cheating, i actually like to see what people can do, and how they can alter the game, but please don't cheat online. I well... i think i can say, pretty much suck online, but i don't cheat, i do seem to be pretty good at racing games online though, i think about average, butt i hate it when i suck online, and then lose a lot by cheaters, i don't care if i lose a lot against people who play fair, so please keep the Pc version clean online, so it can be great for everyone. Well... All and all this game rocks, it's recommended to play this game on your tv, with a controller tough, if you have the possibility to do so. I have a 120hz full hd syncmaster, but play the game on my 720p tv at 60fps, on my attic. Gonna play some more now. Game on And once more, Thanks Sega You gave me fond child hood memories. O yeah... one more thing, it's the name of the game... It's probably about marketing technical reasons, that they called the first one: Sonic and Sega All Stars racing, and the next one, Sonic and All stars racing transformed, i know the Sonic name sells, but why not call it Sega All Stars Racing 1 and 2, and just put Sonic on the cover for marketing technical reasons. Just saying... Well now i'm really gonna play some more Peace out Expand
  4. Mar 30, 2013
    I've always wanted a Mario Kart-like game for PC. I desperately missed just how much fun they were. I heard about this game and was told that it's very similar so I looked it up on Steam. I then saw that it's only $30 and slammed my finger down on that Buy button. I could not be happier with this game. It's exactly what I was looking for in a kart game. The tracks are great, especiallyI've always wanted a Mario Kart-like game for PC. I desperately missed just how much fun they were. I heard about this game and was told that it's very similar so I looked it up on Steam. I then saw that it's only $30 and slammed my finger down on that Buy button. I could not be happier with this game. It's exactly what I was looking for in a kart game. The tracks are great, especially since they're constantly changing as you go through different laps. Parts of road might cave in, a flying ship might suddenly make its way into your path, or surfaces might explode, forcing you to take new paths and keeping each track fresh and fun. The powerups are similar to Mario Kart. The koopa shell is a "drone", a little remote controlled robot that targets a player and finds its way to its target. One thing I really appreciated is there isn't really a "Blue Shell" equivalent that finds the leader and gives you virtually no chance of escape. Instead it's a swarm of giant wasps that fly in front of the leader and stand in his way, forcing the leader to try and dodge the entire swarm as he weaves in and out of them. This is great because the leader is still challenged by an obstacle, but it's one that he can overcome versus a heat-seeking missile that can't be dodged like in Mario Kart. Expand
  5. Jul 5, 2013
    Very very impressed with this game, picked it up during a steam sale and it was an absolute steal. The graphics are absolutely lush (although the graphics options are lacklustre in the options, but it isn't too demanding I suppose) and the sound design is equally as impressive. Gameplay also feels surprisingly strong whether with a pad or keyboard, and it is one of those rare gems thatVery very impressed with this game, picked it up during a steam sale and it was an absolute steal. The graphics are absolutely lush (although the graphics options are lacklustre in the options, but it isn't too demanding I suppose) and the sound design is equally as impressive. Gameplay also feels surprisingly strong whether with a pad or keyboard, and it is one of those rare gems that supports PC splitscreen so props to SEGA for the inclusion of that. In terms of longevity it is great value for money in terms of content over 20 tracks, you nearly double your roster of racers via the campaign and the campaign itself is pretty damn long and has varied game modes ie not just races. TL:DR One of, if not the best arcadey racers on PC (alongside Trackmania imo) Expand
  6. Nov 21, 2013
    This game deserve a few minutes of reviewing. First of all I'm not a big console fan and I prefer simulation racing game to arcade ones. I enjoyed Mario Kart on the SNES back in the days but the further iterations were just "meh" to me because I haven't felt any great improvement over the years. I bought this kart racing game on sale to increase my Steam library and to have a casual gameThis game deserve a few minutes of reviewing. First of all I'm not a big console fan and I prefer simulation racing game to arcade ones. I enjoyed Mario Kart on the SNES back in the days but the further iterations were just "meh" to me because I haven't felt any great improvement over the years. I bought this kart racing game on sale to increase my Steam library and to have a casual game to play with some friends online. I'd never tough I'd get hooked like this. It actually beats Mario Kart in every aspect thanks to it's diversity, freshness and style. The artwork quality is outstanding compared to other arcade PC games and I run at a constant 60fps on a low-midrange card with everything maxed out; it's that well optimized. The gameplay is fast, responsive and the tracks are very diversified. The levels are all themes of different Sega games in history from Sega Master System up to Dreamcast along with some brilliant remastered music. The world tour mode will encourage you in many different competition to unlock every characters and the multiplayer online, or offline up to 4, will keep you playing this little arcade gem for a while.. and come back to it from time to time because there is nothing else like it on PC. If you see this on sale, you have no excuses to overlook it. Thank you Sumo Digital & Sega for the best arcade game I played until now Expand
  7. Oct 6, 2013
    Great Game! i like all of the controls the levels and EVEN the music!
    i give this game a 9 out of 10 because it is definitely better that the other one but a lot harder you should check this out SonicRacing fans!!
  8. Dec 15, 2013
    Sonic and Co. Racing Something is a kart racer that tries to be very similar to Mario Kart. This is basically a SEGA franchise celebration, where they take characters from all sorts of SEGA games and mash them together. The have a few Sonic characters, but this is a SEGA game, not a Sonic game. Some of the characters are hilariously out of place in the kart racing world (except DanicaSonic and Co. Racing Something is a kart racer that tries to be very similar to Mario Kart. This is basically a SEGA franchise celebration, where they take characters from all sorts of SEGA games and mash them together. The have a few Sonic characters, but this is a SEGA game, not a Sonic game. Some of the characters are hilariously out of place in the kart racing world (except Danica Patrick, who is tragically out of place).

The gameplay is mostly what you'd expect out of a kart racer, so expect tight kart controls, constant boosts, and projectiles flying everywhere. Compared to Mario Kart, this game seems to be a little less casual-friendly. If you're doing poorly, you'll never pick up a bullet or lightning that could rocket you into first place. There are some more helpful power-ups you'll get if you're behind, but if you start poorly, you'll never catch up. This is also due to the fact that this game offers many more projectile power-ups, and if you're neck-and-neck with a few other racers, you'll spend the remainder of the race blasting each other to bits. I did enjoy the land, sea, and air vehicle sections reminiscent of Diddy Kong Racing.

Once I mapped the controller to Mario Kart controls, they worked pretty well for me. New players should probably pick characters with good handling. The sounds in this game are annoying, even more so than Mario Kart. The graphics work well enough for a kart racer. I should mention that this is a console port, and SEGA tends to make pretty bad ports in my experience (this game isn't an exception).

This is about as close to Mario Kart as you're going to get on PC. Fans of kart racing games might enjoy the slightly different gameplay of SEGA and Someone Racing Whatever, but if you have access to a console that plays Mario Kart, you'll want to prioritize Mario Kart before SEGA Racing. Still, this is a decent game to break out with local players if you have a few controllers to share.

Update: After playing some local multiplayer, there's definitely one more thing that has to be addressed: the fact that nearly any of the game modes can be played multiplayer. That adds a lot of value to this game. Several friends and I have been playing through the story mode to unlock things, and having more players really helps in some of the races, since you win if -any- of you fulfill the win condition. It's not perfect, especially because certain race types become much harder with the addition of more players, but thanks to this feature, this game becomes one of the best local multiplayer games on Steam (as long as you have some Xbox controllers to pass out). While I still prefer the racing mechanics of Mario Kart, being able to play more game types is a huge bonus, and a big reason to choose this game when friends are over.
  9. Feb 16, 2013
    Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed is exactly what it says on the box. Racing transformed for a modern era, while still having that classic feel making this a must own.

For those of you feeling like Mario Kart has gotten a bit stale due to lack of innovation, this game may be more your style. This game is just teeming with love, with classic games bursting with modern visuals and sounds. Every part of this game just feels like a love letter to SEGA fans.

Graphics

Modernized graphics for classic SEGA games such as Burning Rangers and Panzer Dragoon. The visuals in this game are stunning when you play on the highest settings, and even with a modest computer you'll still get 60+FPS making this game feel amazingly fast and fluid. All the characters are well modeled and textured, and the levels are teeming with beautiful colors and lighting. Each level has been lovingly crafted from older SEGA titles and re-imagined in ways that will bring a tear to long-time fans.

Sound

The music in the game mostly consists of remixed themes from older games in a mostly drum'n bass genre, with the odd dubstep-ish song thrown in here and there. But don't let that fool you, the dubstep is done in moderation and actually sounds good, even to someone who doesn't really like that genre. Each song feels fast-paced and full of action to make the gameplay that much more satisfying.

Gameplay

Now on the the most important part, gameplay. As you may have guessed, there are 3 modes of driving, air, water, and land. Land plays exactly as you think it would, very much like Mario kart, but a bit faster and the cars feel heavier. Boating/water travel feels like slippery land travel, and is the hardest to steer on because of it. This is mostly noted in the Burning Rangers level, which is mostly boating with sharp turns in which you tend to go bumping a lot. Air travel is, well, air travel. You can still drift in the air, but you have to worry about your X axis as well, which tends to make it more difficult. You can also do stunts in the air as any vehicle, which will give you a boost if done correctly. Of course if you crash mid-stunt you're gonna go slower.

The items/weapons in the game are well thought out and even if you get smashed by every single weapon, if you're a good enough player you can still get first place. No blue shells here. Although you may want to watch out for the bees.

Value for the cost

At $30 you will get way more than your money's worth. Tons of missions and unlockables, GPs to go through, stickers to unlock for doing certain things and of course, multiplayer. The multiplayer is really what will keep bringing you back to this. Online works well for the most part, and racing with up to 10 random people or friends is an absolute delight. Voice chat is included as well, and at the time of writing this there is no way to currently turn that off, but there is a patch on the way which will fix it.

Final verdict

A game well worth the money that will keep you entertained for many a month. If you've ever been a fan of racing or kart racing in general you'd be doing yourself a great disservice to not give this a try.
  10. Jul 8, 2013
    Such a cool game. tried it over the free weekend Steam was having, initially to test my new Xbox 360 controller for PC adapter, as i wanted a console feel game. But ended up purchasing it today as im having too much fun. Played Mario Kart here and there years ago, so know the genre, and i would say that this game manages to capture the essence of 90's PSOne era gaming, but improving it forSuch a cool game. tried it over the free weekend Steam was having, initially to test my new Xbox 360 controller for PC adapter, as i wanted a console feel game. But ended up purchasing it today as im having too much fun. Played Mario Kart here and there years ago, so know the genre, and i would say that this game manages to capture the essence of 90's PSOne era gaming, but improving it for todays market. nothing really innovative i would say, the transforming feature is interesting enough to shake things up though. a solid 9/10, 10/10 if the game offered further customization options, but thats me being picky. great game, go on steam and buy Expand
  11. Oct 16, 2013
    I find this game really fun! I see some comments criticising the difficulty :D Well yes, even I at the beginning had problems and thought that it is too difficult, but this is actually the way the game teaches you to do air flips and drifts... Without those, you would not get to the end.. All in all, great graphics, great music, lots of vehicle choices (even though more is always welcomeI find this game really fun! I see some comments criticising the difficulty :D Well yes, even I at the beginning had problems and thought that it is too difficult, but this is actually the way the game teaches you to do air flips and drifts... Without those, you would not get to the end.. All in all, great graphics, great music, lots of vehicle choices (even though more is always welcome and very fun to play online or with a friend (split screen) it can be played split screen online, which is amazing! Thank you Sega! And thank you that my controller works (unlike many other games, where I have to use software for my ps3 controller) Expand
  12. May 24, 2014
    This game is awesome even better than mario kart they created a real gem of a game here lets hope they continue to make this game and anyone who has any doubts should purchase this game without hesitation whatsoever.
  13. Jul 23, 2013
    This game is incredibly fun! I have a very hard time understanding why anyone would rate this less than 8. If you've ever enjoyed Mario Kart, you will love this game.

I've been playing Dota 2 for far too long and taking competitive gaming way too seriously. This game's classic arcade-style kart racing is a relaxing breath of fresh air. Plenty of lush, colorful levels and characters. Working through Career modes makes it fun to unlock all the characters, but you'll need to play through all the races on at least medium difficulty to beat the game.

Obviously the powerups leave lots of the race results up to chance, but the game definitely still rewards skill. With the three different vehicle modes each character has comes a different style of handling. Driving is by far the easiest and has the tightest controls. Boating is slightly harder because the handling becomes much more floaty. Flying is the hardest, adding in the management of the z-axis.

The core game can be learned in just a few minutes and is absolutely perfect for casual LAN parties, or people like me who just need a break from "sooper srs gaming."
  14. Oct 8, 2013
    Racing Transformed is definitely a huge improvement over the original, offering more character, tracks, and challenges to keep you entertained for hours. Multiplayer, of course, is really fun when you have friends online or locally. The concept behind transforming vehicle-classes in mid race was a brilliant idea and it adds to the attractiveness of the game as a whole and the graphics areRacing Transformed is definitely a huge improvement over the original, offering more character, tracks, and challenges to keep you entertained for hours. Multiplayer, of course, is really fun when you have friends online or locally. The concept behind transforming vehicle-classes in mid race was a brilliant idea and it adds to the attractiveness of the game as a whole and the graphics are gorgeous as well. By the way, I found it really cool of Sega to add other 'Steam' related game characters for the PC version (Team Fortress 2, SHOGUN, Football Manager, etc). If you like any type of racing game with lots of replay value, try this. It may not be perfect, but it's close. 9/10 Expand
  15. Feb 1, 2013
    amazing gaem beutifulhl tracsk and so many charactir 25 i think. this is a ame that is taking largte steps in front of the first game. the gameplay is lot of fun. and team fortress and shogun and gfootball manager look good in this game
  16. Feb 16, 2013
    Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed is visually and track-wise the most solid and stunning racing game I've ever seen. The environments are imaginative and get more interesting the more you unlock them. The game is extremely fast-paced, fun, lively and catchy. Everything about is game is, I dare say, perfect. The only downside is that the World Tour mode is brutally challenging. It'sSonic All-Stars Racing Transformed is visually and track-wise the most solid and stunning racing game I've ever seen. The environments are imaginative and get more interesting the more you unlock them. The game is extremely fast-paced, fun, lively and catchy. Everything about is game is, I dare say, perfect. The only downside is that the World Tour mode is brutally challenging. It's challenging enough to make me give it a 9 instead of a 10. The difficulty is so cruel it ruins the fun. Expand
  17. Feb 1, 2013
    Beatyfull tracks, awesome music, a lot of fun from gameplay. 26 charachters. Team fortress, football manager and shogun lookin good in this game. Large step forward from original game.
  18. Feb 5, 2013
    Wow! I only heard of the game when it hit the front page of Steam. At first I was skeptical since the only other Kart game I had played was Mario Kart for the Gamecube. This game defines itself through the 'transforming' process where, depending on terrain, you race in a boat, car, or plane. The concept of this at first glance seems confusing, but I was able to grasp the general ideaWow! I only heard of the game when it hit the front page of Steam. At first I was skeptical since the only other Kart game I had played was Mario Kart for the Gamecube. This game defines itself through the 'transforming' process where, depending on terrain, you race in a boat, car, or plane. The concept of this at first glance seems confusing, but I was able to grasp the general idea within minutes of racing. Another great feature is the art and feel of each player and their Kart. The PC Exclusive player Shogun for example has an oriental themed Kart with a samurai mask, a dragon as a plane, and an old bronze fish as a boat. Whereas a player like Sonic has a slick blue car, exhibiting his speed. The theme of each characters really gives them personality unlike traditional Mario Kart. The only downfall to the PC version of the game is the confusing controls. When you first play, the controls are in odd positions and you need to go into Steam Settings to configure them. Nonetheless, if you are a fan of Kart games, or racing games in general, this is a definite, cheap buy. Expand
  19. Apr 12, 2013
    A very fun kart racing game, and unlike the previous game, this one actually has online multiplayer for the pc port! The gameplay mechanics are very solid, feels similar to Mario Kart, which is a good thing. No blue shell type weapon, which is a good thing. I love the dynamic tracks that change while you're racing, though I'm not a big fan of the flying, it just doesn't feel as tight asA very fun kart racing game, and unlike the previous game, this one actually has online multiplayer for the pc port! The gameplay mechanics are very solid, feels similar to Mario Kart, which is a good thing. No blue shell type weapon, which is a good thing. I love the dynamic tracks that change while you're racing, though I'm not a big fan of the flying, it just doesn't feel as tight as the driving and water sections. There is also a lot of single player content. I highly recommend this game. Expand
  20. Mar 22, 2013
    Best cart racing game I've played, honestly. When I first saw the previews, I thought the multiple vehicles feature would just be a cheap gimmick, especially given Sega's history to often fail "alternative gameplay" mechanics. But switching between a car, boat, and plane all feel incredibly different yet fun in their own right. Each vehicle mode feels like it should, greatly changing youBest cart racing game I've played, honestly. When I first saw the previews, I thought the multiple vehicles feature would just be a cheap gimmick, especially given Sega's history to often fail "alternative gameplay" mechanics. But switching between a car, boat, and plane all feel incredibly different yet fun in their own right. Each vehicle mode feels like it should, greatly changing you approach to the track. The tracks are all well designed, the music is great, the graphics are clean and pretty, and the atmosphere is surprisingly fun and fresh given that Sega, while having a lot of great IPs, doesn't exactly have the best track record to grab from for an "all star" themed game. The controls are also surprisingly tight and responsive as well, and there's great potential for downloadable content. I hope that Sega stays on this note and keeps making games like this. 10 might seem pretty high, and perhaps I'd give it a 9.7 if I could, but this game deserves it, it's just that much fun. Expand
  21. Mar 26, 2013
    I created an account here just to review this game... So, lets start. First of all, im playing it for about 4 days or so and ive got almost 20 hours on it, so, thats how much im enjoying it. The gameplay is great and everything is fluid. I'm playing with a XBOX 360 controller and couldn't ask anything better. Graphics are simply beautiful running on 1080p, and looks amazing even on 720p ifI created an account here just to review this game... So, lets start. First of all, im playing it for about 4 days or so and ive got almost 20 hours on it, so, thats how much im enjoying it. The gameplay is great and everything is fluid. I'm playing with a XBOX 360 controller and couldn't ask anything better. Graphics are simply beautiful running on 1080p, and looks amazing even on 720p if ur specs cant handle full HD. The AI is challenging and will make you practice a lot to beat everything the career mode offers on harder levels (A class or S class). My girlfriend and her littler brother plays it on medium or easy and that doesnt kill the fun at all, because ur opponets doesnt act like dumbs. The cars have very different handling, which i think is very nice and adds a lot of replay values into it. Tracks are amazing and the mix of terrains (as the game suggests, ur car is transformed into a boat or an airplane) adds a lot to the game and differs it even more from Mario Kart. Even the laps changes in a lot os tracks, so the first one is totally different from the final lap. The sense of speed is very nice either. The powerups are nice to use. The online multiplayer is very well done and theres almost no lag at all and i didnt find any hackers till now. There are a lot of characters to choose with different driving mods (unlockable as you play with the respective characters). The sound (musics and effects) doesnt lack in anything IMO and plays just fine within the hole game. What else can i say? Theres a lot more, but do yourself a favor and buy it! Worths every cent! Its been a while since i had so much fun with a racing game. One of my favourite games nowadays and i believe ill keep playing it for a very long time. Expand
  22. Apr 26, 2013
    Amazing game. It's some much fun and enjoyable. A kart racing game like never before. Yes, it might a rip off from som Mario kart games, but it still is an amazing and very unique.I am having hard time to say anything bad about this game. All i am gonna say, it's not just racing, it's racing transformed.
  23. Oct 18, 2013
    What seems like a cheap cash-in at first is actually a great, fun, and enjoyable racing game that really holds up against great kart racers like Mario Kart.
    Lots of content, modes, and unlockables, and a great soundtrack.
    Lots of content, modes, and unlockables, and a great soundtrack.
    Driving feels like Mario Kart, flying feels like Starfox 64, and riding the waves feels like Waverace. The tracks change depending on the lap you are on and utilise all of these functions.
    Wish more of my friends owned this game for the craziness that is the multiplayer.
    If you enjoy arcade kart racing, you owe yourself to check this out.
  24. Jun 1, 2013
    I made a metacritic account just to review this game. I honestly believe it deserves a 10 for the pc version of the game. The pc really has nothing that I know of that compares to this. I have played kart games on consoles but I still consider this the best kart game i've played on any platform. The choices for games that have couch co op on the pc are pretty slim. And of the couch co opI made a metacritic account just to review this game. I honestly believe it deserves a 10 for the pc version of the game. The pc really has nothing that I know of that compares to this. I have played kart games on consoles but I still consider this the best kart game i've played on any platform. The choices for games that have couch co op on the pc are pretty slim. And of the couch co op games i've played I hold this in the highest regard.

I see that other reviewers prof/non-prof have gave it a fairly decent overall rating. I don't agree with the decent rating at all... It should have a perfect or nearly perfect score. I ask what other game for the PC is better in this nitch genre? And even more offers couch co op as well?
    //end of rant

Rant aside the actual game is amazing. I can't remember the last time I smiled and laughed so much playing a game. It is a nice break from the mainstream genres. The game is really meant to be played locally with a friend or friends (up to 4 local players). I would also like to thank Sega for bringing this game to the PC as another reviewer had done. Sega hasn't had too many games I regarded highly but this game has changed my opinion of the company and I will be keeping an eye out for their future games.
    //end of love letter to sega

Some things I really like about the game:
    The crisp clean menus
    The varied, well animated characters
    The reactions of drivers to the environment with comments, gestures and dancing on/in the vehicles
    Tracks that kept the game fresh through multiple routes lots of things going on in the background and on the track itself
    The narration, such a classic nostalgia bubbling voice from my early gaming years
    The visual were great with as mention lots going on but also they really gave the game an arcade feel that really is never captured to this level on any other title i've played on the pc. I really enjoy the art direction of the game.
  25. Jul 5, 2013
    OH GOD, this game is seriously perfection! It's SO MUCH FUN I can't even begin to describe the thrill of getting 2nd place, (haven't gotten 1st yet, it's harder than it looks!)
    Featuring stuff that I haven't seen anywhere before (Flight and boat modes! Allstar mode)
    This game is seriously one of the funnest games I played in the past two years, it doesn't try to be something it's not, no crappy plot nobody reads and no stuff that just doesn't belng, THIS GAME IS A RACING GAME with some great new ideas, FANTASTIC MAPS, GRAPHICS AND DESIGN, they just put it all together with the music and I'm just short of orgasming on the screen. Seriously, GO BUY IT NOW, YOU'LL HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE :D
  26. Oct 27, 2013
    Sonic and All Stars Racing is an unexpected gem of a game. I have seen many mediocre kart racing games over the years and I expected this game to be the same. Boy was I wrong. This game is full of personality, different characters, many game modes, changing race tracks, great game mechanics, lots of multiplayer options, varying difficulty options and breathtaking graphical scenery. Pick upSonic and All Stars Racing is an unexpected gem of a game. I have seen many mediocre kart racing games over the years and I expected this game to be the same. Boy was I wrong. This game is full of personality, different characters, many game modes, changing race tracks, great game mechanics, lots of multiplayer options, varying difficulty options and breathtaking graphical scenery. Pick up this game. You won’t regret it. Expand
  27. Jul 17, 2013
    Simply STUNNING track design. Great challenge modes, awesome cast of characters, and did I mention amazing track design? I'd pick this over Mario kart any day.
  28. Aug 28, 2013
    I want to start by saying that I haven't enjoyed playing a racing game like this in a long time. Yes, Mario Kart is fun, but you don't feel like you are going fast. This game is by far worth every penny that it costs. The graphics are great for the game. What I mean for this is that nothing looks out of place in the game. I have played many games where some graphics look outstanding, butI want to start by saying that I haven't enjoyed playing a racing game like this in a long time. Yes, Mario Kart is fun, but you don't feel like you are going fast. This game is by far worth every penny that it costs. The graphics are great for the game. What I mean for this is that nothing looks out of place in the game. I have played many games where some graphics look outstanding, but then you have those low quality textures and meshes for all of the objects that are in the background. It subtracts from the game in a major way in my opinion. The audio design for this game is deserving of an "A" grade as well. There aren't any sounds that don't seem to belong in the game, there is no clipping, or sound clips drowning out others. Now that I have covered the typical graphics and audio aspects lets move on to game play.

The game play controls are so simple that you could pick up the game and just play. This is a great thing seeing as some games just have to many things to do. As for the other aspects of game play I felt this game really delivered. Whether you are flying a plane or driving a car or boat the game holds it's fun and entertainment.

Now for content. The game has 21 different tracks, which in my opinion is awesome, but it still doesn't compare to Nintendo releasing around 20 new tracks, and twenty old ones in every Mario Kart Game. This means that in every Mario Kart game there are roughly 40 tracks. I also felt that the amount of variation between characters was not optimized, as well as the console mods. The mods could have had much more of an effect in the game. I understand that things must remain balanced, but some of the mods don't really make the character play the way you would think they should. I also felt like there was a lack of characters. Not in the sense of quantity, but in the sense of variety. Obviously Sega wants to include Sonic & Friends, but I felt that Sega shouldn't have had three characters from one game series, and left it at that. Sega has released many other games besides Sonic the Hedgehog, Jet Set Radio, and Space Channel 5. In fact I would have loved to see them bring back more characters from games that came out around the same time that Golden Axe and Shinobi did such as: Phantasy Star, Kid Chameleon, Shinning Force, Vectorman, and maybe even Comix Zone. All of these would have made awesome additions to the game.

All-in-all though the game is still superb. I know I may have made it seem like the characters and where a huge deal to me, but they aren't enough to sway me below a 9 out of 10. This game is till truly fantastic.
  29. Dec 11, 2013
    SASRT Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed) might be a Mario Kart clone, but that doesn't stop it from blowing the original out of the water.

Where Mario Kart games can really feel like they're mostly based on luck, SASRT is mostly based on skill, even though you can still get a good item that would help you get the upperhand, but even then, you'll still have to use it wisely and have the skill to do so, or it will be completely useless.

Where Mario Kart games' races can feel pretty uninspired, SASRT's races are a pretty great demonstration of intelligent level-design. Every single inch of the races are calculated to reward you if you're doing good and punish you if you screw up.

Where Mario Kart games pace can feel boring, SART's pace will barely allow you some time to blink.

Where Mario kart games single-player will gladly leave you the first place in any race on any difficulty setting and make sure the closest opponent stays a mile away from you, SASRT's AI will rather hunt you down and take you out like there's a billion dollars bounty on your head

And don't get me wrong, I love Mario kart, especially Double Dash on gamecube. But Sega's SASRT is just so good it makes Mario Kart games looks like they're the SASRT clones.
  30. Feb 5, 2014
    There is quite a learning curve to this game, but It's challenging, beautiful, and downright fun! Plenty of unlockable content, a cameo in Breaking Bad, all of your old sega favorites... this game is a cart racer of the highest calibur.
  31. Dec 11, 2013
    Best PC racing game period. I don't care if you think super fancy shader graphics are the beez nees. This is what a true, real FUN video game is about. There are so many great things I can say about this but I will summarize it.

Loads of content, lots of action, fast paced, incredibly fun and addicting. Play on hard to really get your butt whooped (when was the last time a racing game did that?).

-1 point because it took some time to properly set up on PC (you need a hack for Xbox controller and the frame rate isn't optimal on default and might require external settings depending on graphic card).
  32. Oct 21, 2014
    Sega, you have done it again! Such a fun racing game! It has a variety of power ups and Racing Tracks to race on. For some reason, Sega never makes a bad racing game (except *cough* SONIC FREE RIDERS! *cough*). So far, this is my favorite racing game from Sega because of its level variety, character variety, and visually appealing graphics. The only complaint about this game I would haveSega, you have done it again! Such a fun racing game! It has a variety of power ups and Racing Tracks to race on. For some reason, Sega never makes a bad racing game (except *cough* SONIC FREE RIDERS! *cough*). So far, this is my favorite racing game from Sega because of its level variety, character variety, and visually appealing graphics. The only complaint about this game I would have is that the controls can be a bit clunky on the PC but once you get used to them, they get smoother. Overall, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is a huge step forward for Sega and a great racing game. Would recommend to anyone Expand
  33. Apr 1, 2014
    Finally! A competent arcade racer on PC with a great amount of depth! Not to mention the suuuper lush environments that pay really awesome tribute to some largely unknown to most SEGA franchises/IP. The name threw me at first, but after a handful of laps I was convinced: SEGA is still in the game, at least to the extent that they out-Mario Kart-ed, Nintendo. Changing between vehiclesFinally! A competent arcade racer on PC with a great amount of depth! Not to mention the suuuper lush environments that pay really awesome tribute to some largely unknown to most SEGA franchises/IP. The name threw me at first, but after a handful of laps I was convinced: SEGA is still in the game, at least to the extent that they out-Mario Kart-ed, Nintendo. Changing between vehicles mid-lap and even the lap variations that take place during races is such a cool touch.. The controls were a little hard for me to get used to at first, the drifting part, but now its second nature. I had a group of friends over to play game and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed was a hit. Also native 360 controller support is a plus. I really can't say enough good things about this game. Its awesome. If you want a CONSOLE QUALITY arcade racer that you can entertain with.. this is hands down my pick. Expand
  34. May 26, 2014
    If I were to make a comparison, Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed is just like Mario Kart in the sense that it's a kart racing game with weapon items. The constant shooting and dodging attacks while racing adds a whole new level of fun to racing games, whereas I usually find "realistic" driving games like Forza incredibly monotonous and boring compared to a game like this.

Sonic

Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed is. when compared to other kart racers like Mariokart, much more fast-paced. Cars just seem faster in this game, and it makes it more challenging and immersive. Also, for a game set in a variety of other games' fantasy-worlds, the graphics are nothing short of stunning. Framerate matters in racing games, and 1440p 60fps has never looked cooler. And the fact that it's on PC is even better- Just get a USB controller. Don't try to play any racing game with a mouse and keyboard or you will have a bad time.

The difficulty curve can be a bit steep at times. Most of my friends and I, who have many years of racing game experience, were able to beat the entire Easy GP difficulty on day 1, first place by miles on every track. But when you jump up to the Medium difficulty, suddenly the AI's get a brain and start actually using the items. You'll really have to be an aggressive driver and use as many stunts and drift-turbos as you can if you want to beat the higher difficulties. But I always love a challenge. I would highly reccomend this game for anyone looking for a good racing game on PC that takes a step away from "realistic" racers.

Truth be told, this was a game made for little people and nephews, not for Sega fans. [May 2013]
  2. Apr 1, 2013
    Amazingly beautiful tracks where you race, swim and fly, sometimes changing the level as you progress through it, are what makes this game great.
  3. Mar 30, 2013
    This imaginative, thrillingly fast racer is better than it has any right to be. [Apr 2013, p.107]