6.1

1. Jul 26, 2013
    Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode is an amazing sequel with what they've done adding a Sonic in a colorful and vivid world, amazing fluid visuals, a upbeat Soundtrack, and amazing re-telling of Sonic's fight against Dr. Eggman. However despite that it still has its faults such as the fact that the game's length is a bit of a lowside and the lack of some key Sonic characters missing out. Regardless this game is still a nice addition to the hardcore Sonic fan and any fan of the platformer/adventure genre. Expand
  2. Jul 11, 2013
    This game takes a humongous amount of aspects and inspiration from the original trilogy, in fact to the point that it seems it was intentional in order to provide nostalgia factor for the players. Of course that’s not a bad thing at all, especially considering that the game added some of its own twists to all of the original goodies that it included.

Sonic 4 Episode 1 consists mainly of
    4 different zones Splash Hill Zone, Casino Street Zone, Lost Labyrinth Zone, and Mad Gear Zone each one containing 3 acts, plus a boss fight with Dr Eggman. One of really impressive features in this game is that right after completing the first act in Splash Hill, we get access to every single act in every single stage (apart from the boss acts). So as opposed to having to complete the game in a linear fashion, we can choose in which order to do all the levels, with even a chance to revisit previous levels if we want to say acquire some more lives or to have another chance to access the special stages. Another great thing is that with each new act something new is added to each of the zones and hence making each act stand out from the one before.

Splash Hill Zone continues the tradition of the original trilogy that always has a paradisal, grassy, waterfall-infested place as the first zone, where the player can get acquainted with the game and to generally cruise through. Casino Street Zone as the name implies is the same one as we’ve seen in Sonic 2, with also some inspirations of the Carnival Night Zone of Sonic 3. Lost Labyrinth Zone is mostly based on the Labyrinth Zone from the original Sonic, except now it looks much prettier than before, and introduces some new stuff, such as balancing atop large rolling rocks, traversing dark areas, etc. Mad Gear Zone is easily recognizable as a tribute to Scrap Brain Zone from original Sonic, and even more so to the Metropolis Zone in Sonic 2, and in my opinion it’s even cooler and more epic than before. In the 3rd act of this zone, which is probably my favourite act in the entire game, for most of the time we are being chased by a huge machine, which has a single purpose to flatten us into a pancake.

The final zone that we get access to once all the others are beaten was a bit of a disappointment though since most of it is a repetition of previous boss fights. Throughout the game we can also access the special stages, which play a lot like the ones from the original Sonic, where Sonic traverses spinning maze-like structure in order to get to the emerald at the end. What’s different this time round, however, is that we get to spin the maze ourselves in order to guide Sonic, but there is a time limit, so we must be quick about it.

Perhaps one criticism that I’ve seen being mentioned by many other players of this game is how the control is a bit strange, and I’d have to agree to it. Unlike the original trilogy where Sonic has a lot of momentum when running and jumping, this time round, if we let go off the direction button midway through the jump, then Sonic instantly starts to fall down as opposed to continuing to fly in the same direction. It is a bit of an annoying mechanic, but it is something one can get used to fairly quickly, not to mention that a new addition of homing diving attack when in midair makes the gameplay pretty fun.

For the most part I’ve really enjoyed Sonic 4 Episode 1. Although the overall game isn’t overly long 5 hours or so), each stage has been given a lot of detail and attention, and some new gameplay mechanics can keep the experience quite fresh in each new stage. Sure, this game does not surpass the originals, but I think it really deserves its place amongst them.
  3. Jan 30, 2012
    Kind of nostalgic. Graphics much improved over Sega Genesis, however does not scale to high resolutions like 2560x1600 well. POV stays the same no matter what resolution. That is disappointing. Everything looks nice except Sonic and the mobs which are blocky. Set up controller by mapping it to keyboard game-mode seems to be working ok. Has support for xbox controller or keyboard mapping. Can't alt-tab back to full-screen game when minimized. Have to end the task manually and restart. Expand
  4. Jan 20, 2012
    It's the sequel we've all been waiting for. SEGA, kudos to you. You have done well. Basically, if you liked Sonic 1, 2 and 3, then get this game. If you love platformers, get this game. All in all, well worth the 10$ price tag.
  5. Jan 19, 2013
    It was really ''okay'', I did get the nostalgia but I didnt get too much fun. The Homing Shot was annoying and it was kinda ripped off from the original but not as good.
  6. Jun 14, 2014
    To be incredibly honest, this has to be the worst game I have played in my life

Pros:
    (None)

Cons:
    Messy Controls
    Slow, irritating physics
    Repetitive Soundtrack
    Uninspired Levels

If you are a hardcore sonic fan, i would suggest you avoid this game
  7. Mar 16, 2014
    It's Sonic. If you like Sonic, why not just buy it? I'll tell you why, take the first Sonic the Hedgehog, add fun mini-games with 3-D graphics. Although I don't like how Sonic looks. He looks like as if he was in a bad 70's movie with a green screen. Sonic team, get a better lighting guy for Sonic, I'm just saying. The act backgrounds are cool and are very colorful and has a fun art design. That will bring me to the 720p only on PC. WHY? The game would look MUCH better in 1080p. Verdict: Sonic fan? Buy it. It's a rebirth of the originals. Expand
  8. Apr 21, 2012
    This Sonic was a big surprise to me, and I ended up getting and it's worth! Despite the physical failure and soundtrack "annoying" is a great fun for gamers on duty. This proves that Sonic is heading in the right place!
  9. Oct 19, 2013
    Lo mas decepcionante de Sonic episodio 1 es la poca innovación que tiene en mi opinión. Creo que esta claro que es como una suma de sonic 1 y 2 (Escenarios, enemigos, jefes, ETC.) pero con algunos ligeros cambios. Después la verdad dejando de lado algunos problemas en sus físicas el juego es muy recomendable. Tiene una gran calidad (al menos yo no tuve ningún problema técnico), una muy buena jugabilidad, gráficos decentes, Historia simple pero atrapante, correcta duración y dificultad, y una muy eficiente banda sonora, ademas de que es MUY divertido en mi opinión. En conclusión considero que es una secuela digna de "Sonic 3 and Knuckles" y lo recomiendo para todos los fans de Sonic y de este tipo de juegos en general. Expand
  10. Jan 2, 2013
    This game insults the Sonic brand. Levels are designed in good nostalgic style but the controls of this game, at least on PC, make it frustrating to play. Add to that the poor support and guesswork required to make it actually run. If you really want a traditional sonic experience go get the classic collection or something. The updated graphics are not worth the headache.
  11. Jul 29, 2014
    Sonic's movement lacks fluidity; his acceleration is pitiful, his reactions are slow and cumbersome. The game fails to deliver the basic fundamentals of a what makes a Sonic Platformer a Sonic Platformer.

It has some nostalgia value, with classic zone themes and boss battles being revisited, but even here it falls short as the soundtrack doesn't come close to replicating the simple
    brilliance of its 16-bit predecessors.

Not the successor I'd hoped for.
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic

Although I do not normally side with gamers who prefer digital versions of games, in the case of episodic games, it's perfectly rational, especially when it's accompanied by a very logical price- priced at 7 euros, Sonic 4.1 does not disappoint. [March 2012]