Space Empires V PC

8.0

1. MorganL.
    Feb 12, 2008
    As an avid SE4 player I was looking forward to this game, however the game has gone from a cleanly designed intuitive game to micromanagement hell. The interface is horrible and getting even basic information about your ships or planets requires multiple clicks through several menus. In SE4 all the information was in sight when you needed. SE5 has added large graphic buttons and removed As an avid SE4 player I was looking forward to this game, however the game has gone from a cleanly designed intuitive game to micromanagement hell. The interface is horrible and getting even basic information about your ships or planets requires multiple clicks through several menus. In SE4 all the information was in sight when you needed. SE5 has added large graphic buttons and removed the information displays that allowed you to handle the complexity of a large empire. After several patches the glaring problems remain and I doubt that they will be fixed. It's a shame after SE4 did so much right that SE5 would turn out to be so unplayable. Expand
  2. AllanW
    Dec 30, 2009
    Without doubt, in my opinion the best of it's kind in this genre, and I have played many. The graphics are superb, very detailed main window includes animated planets and anomalies which looks great. Very helpful pop-ups appear when you mouse over anything on the screen. The tutorial guides you nicely step by step explaining things simply and in depth. The game is very deep, with an Without doubt, in my opinion the best of it's kind in this genre, and I have played many. The graphics are superb, very detailed main window includes animated planets and anomalies which looks great. Very helpful pop-ups appear when you mouse over anything on the screen. The tutorial guides you nicely step by step explaining things simply and in depth. The game is very deep, with an extensive tech tree and ability to design your own ships etc. Not for someone who is looking for quick gameplay. But if you enjoy playing this type of strategy game, and you want an in depth experience that will require time, patience and strategy (brain power), then this in my opinion is the best in it's genre by far. Enjoy Expand
  3. Nov 14, 2013
    This game gets an 8 from me out of the sheer ballsyness of scope that it plays at. You go from, "Look we have ion drives!" to, "Hold on a sec, I'ma make that star into a power factory for my civ, Brb." Woah! Mind blown.

Warning though, it's complex and very arcane. It's a joy if you absolutely love spending hours working very hard to understand large complicated systems. Not so great if you just want a video game to sit down and blow some steam off with.
  4. MikeB.
    Dec 24, 2006
    Barely above shareware. Good intentioned. Bad AI. Many bugs. It has possibilties if they spend a year patching it.
  5. GeorgeS.
    Jan 6, 2007
    Quickly being patched and supported through some troubled starts, the developer shows no signs of simply sitting around and letting it's game rot. Several patches in, most of the major problems are resolved, new functionality has been added to the game, and the AI has improved significantly. The best part about SEV is the fact that it's nearest competition, MOO3, has suffered Quickly being patched and supported through some troubled starts, the developer shows no signs of simply sitting around and letting it's game rot. Several patches in, most of the major problems are resolved, new functionality has been added to the game, and the AI has improved significantly. The best part about SEV is the fact that it's nearest competition, MOO3, has suffered all the same shortfalls that SEV had, and the developers are learning quickly. SEV is a great game with huge potential, hardly can it be called "Barely above shareware," except by someone who didn't bother to take the time to learn the game. Expand
  6. ShawnS.
    Jan 1, 2007
    Still has a few bugs but still one of the best strategy games ever. Not for the new gen gamers if your old school this is the strategy game for you.
  7. Metalax
    Oct 16, 2007
    One of the deepest 4X games around. Extensive research trees, challanging AI and detailed racial/unit/ship design. Modability is massive, with a thriving active community. From previous experience with the series, any remaining bugs will be found and patched over time.
  8. DominicA.
    Nov 9, 2007
    Great game. Its been improved greatly with the various patches coming out. Its very deep and you can have some very exciting games.
  9. MarkM.
    Jan 8, 2007
    Love it! Soooo many options! It's just great. No other game allows so much! Steep learning curve if your new but hey.
  10. MikeR.
    Feb 10, 2007
    Subsequent patches and way above average developer support after release have made it playable and the mod community is above with activity.
  11. SladeSerna
    Feb 10, 2007
    If you have dreamed of nearly limitless options, this is your game. With a tech tree literally with thousands of different levels spread among the hundreds of components, it will give you a lot of directions you can potentially go for any game. Be that one strategy for a game or several, changing over time, or some mix in between. Granted, there are some bug problems, but most have appear If you have dreamed of nearly limitless options, this is your game. With a tech tree literally with thousands of different levels spread among the hundreds of components, it will give you a lot of directions you can potentially go for any game. Be that one strategy for a game or several, changing over time, or some mix in between. Granted, there are some bug problems, but most have appear repaired for major issues. The support for the game is devoted and actually listens to the fans with new changes and modifications. In addition, it is extremely moddable. You can almost change it into a different game entirely with the number of options. Limits are merely your imagination. The fans are constantly making new shipsets and other improvements all on their own parallel to developer patches! Expand
  12. FrankM.
    Feb 10, 2007
    The best space strategy game ever. And it keeps improving with frequent patches & mods. There is so many options to play with that the replayability is exceptionally good.
  13. AnthonyF.
    May 8, 2007
    Hands down, the best 4X turn based strategy game on the market today. It had a bumpy launch, with a lot of bugs, but post-patch, this game achieves what others in the 4X turn based genre could not. A great community, with plenty of new mods and additions everyday.
  14. JohnB
    Jun 5, 2008
    Great overall gameplay. Give me a an uncriptic way to make solar systems from scratch and a better AI and you got yourself a 10.
  15. JoshNothing
    Jan 10, 2009
    This game is NOT for everyone, yet if you like a detailed strategy game with little focus on graphics, then this is game for you!
  16. ThomC.
    Oct 18, 2006
    Best game ever seen.
  17. JoeyB.
    Jan 10, 2007
    Some teething problems, but the modability of this game makes it one that will be playable for a long, long time.
  18. KurtA.
    Jan 15, 2007
    This game was released riddled with bugs. I pre-payed and waited for two weeks until I finally was able to play it due to a patch. Even Now, I crash after the latest patch. Horrible AI, unfriendly UI only good thing is the 3D combat.
  19. Maciek
    Feb 11, 2007
    Fantastic depth and a ton of strategies to explore. Tactical combat between ships adds a whole new dimension to this game. Takes a while to get into, but its very rewarding in the end. There are bugs, but there's also great support from the author and the community which releases excellent mods very frequently.
  20. D.M.
    Feb 10, 2007
    Very good SciFi-strategy. Definitely a must when you like huge fleets of your own design going ballistic. The extended diplomacy and moddability are icing the cake. A little funny feature could be some "resign" screens like in the civ series.
  21. AlexSo.
    Feb 14, 2007
    After patching and continuous community developments, I am really enjoyed this game.
  22. Olddeadmeat
    Mar 28, 2007
    Post deployment improvements mean this game is continuously evolving, plus it has a devoted fanbase, and the developer genuinely loves what he does.
  23. JesperS.
    Jun 16, 2007
    A very solid EEE game and probably the best advanced space strategy game the past couple of years. I do not understand its low metascore - some reviewers must either have missed the point or were unable to enjoy the true micromanegemt potential of SE5. A must-have for any EEE fan!
  24. RobertW.
    Jul 23, 2007
    Started out very bugy like all space empires titles, but every problem is pretty mutch fixed now, great game.
  25. JesseL
    Oct 11, 2008
    Great, but hard to learn game. Graphics leave something to be desired, but the shear amount of options makes up for it
  26. SteveF.
    Jan 2, 2008
    This game is the most in-depth, customizable, and exciting game there is of its type on the market. I will grant the fact taht there is a steep learning curve. But once you learn the basics, its all customization. There have been lots of issues with bugs/crashes/glitches and the sort. But the developers are quick to resolve issues and bring out patches to fix them as they appear. This This game is the most in-depth, customizable, and exciting game there is of its type on the market. I will grant the fact taht there is a steep learning curve. But once you learn the basics, its all customization. There have been lots of issues with bugs/crashes/glitches and the sort. But the developers are quick to resolve issues and bring out patches to fix them as they appear. This game is for the "super-nerd" if you will. It takes a person with a want for very COMPLEX, in depth managment of ships, technology, military/civil intelligence, economics, and warfare strategy. Without use of any one of these tools in the game, you will be in trouble. The game comes with a good tutorial and will have you up and playing the basics relatively quickly. Just try not to get overwhelmed at first. Expand
  27. JamesB
    Oct 27, 2008
    great game to play with or against friends. Even the single play had me hooked for quite a while
  28. AndrewA.
    Nov 16, 2006
    Space Empires V has amazing potential to become the best 4X game yet created, and it will get there. From past experience with the developer, all the bugs and issues will be fixed, and this game will become all it could be.
  29. MiktarD.
    Oct 17, 2006
    As far as the 4X genre goes - while Space Empires V may not look pretty enough to capture the interests of the 'younger' generation of FPS-centric gamers, it's depth and freedom puts Galactic Civilizations 2 to shame. Multiplayer is simply a cherry on top.
  30. EricC.
    Dec 27, 2007
    A good game, although perhaps my views are coloured by the long-standing SE series (I remember playing SE2 as a kid). This is excellent for players who thrive on customization and complexity, but maybe isn't for everyone. It's a bit slow at times, and a lack of checks and balances means that it boils down to "bigger guns = better". Other than that though, there are few games A good game, although perhaps my views are coloured by the long-standing SE series (I remember playing SE2 as a kid). This is excellent for players who thrive on customization and complexity, but maybe isn't for everyone. It's a bit slow at times, and a lack of checks and balances means that it boils down to "bigger guns = better". Other than that though, there are few games that allow the player the freedom to build not just ships, but empires in ways that they see fit. Expand
  31. MichaelI.
    Jun 22, 2007
    I was hoping for a Master Of Orion game and instead ended up with this. It's not as engaging as I thought it'd be. I wish I had played the demo first. I bought this off of steam 3 months ago and only played it for a week.... I miss MOO.
  32. NananC.
    Jul 16, 2007
    This game is awesome it's extremly deep and complex can't stop playing it .Highly recommend for men...not boys.
  33. CarltonJ
    Jul 23, 2008
    A truly epic game, with many options. Once you get used to the complex controls and slightly retarded AI, it is a very fun game that will keep you hooked for hours and hours.
  34. PhoenixD.
    Nov 11, 2006
    Pros: If you liked the previous games, this has everything they had and more. Excellent 4X, several rounds of improvements already. Cons: Bugs UI is..weird. At best. Bugs. MP can be difficult, as some of the savegames get very large. Bugs. AI hasn't improved any (might be fixed with mods) Did I mention its buggy?
  35. Maran
    Nov 29, 2006
    Good for real strategy game fans. Its one game and developer who has not given into the mainstream crowd and dummed the game down. SEV is as always fully moddable, another non mainstream feature and one that has always extended the life of its titles; the AI was constantly improved in SEIV and was pretty hard to beat by the end. Sadly more and more review sites are falling into the Good for real strategy game fans. Its one game and developer who has not given into the mainstream crowd and dummed the game down. SEV is as always fully moddable, another non mainstream feature and one that has always extended the life of its titles; the AI was constantly improved in SEIV and was pretty hard to beat by the end. Sadly more and more review sites are falling into the mainstream, as the scores indicate, ignore them if you love strategy games for why they were built.... strategy not pretty graphics. Love the game, love the series, long may it contiue. Expand
  36. Mar 15, 2011
    I recently downloaded both Space Empire IV & V from Steam and am not sure why there is so much praise here for V. Both games are played in a two dimensional plane (galaxy layout & space battles) but whereas IV had a clean layout V tries to add 3D visuals and ends up with a very cluttered interface. SE-V does offer a technological tree with amazing variety, a multitude of ship buildingI recently downloaded both Space Empire IV & V from Steam and am not sure why there is so much praise here for V. Both games are played in a two dimensional plane (galaxy layout & space battles) but whereas IV had a clean layout V tries to add 3D visuals and ends up with a very cluttered interface. SE-V does offer a technological tree with amazing variety, a multitude of ship building options, and many planet improvements as well, but the time required to drill down to see details or to govern your entire empire from an overview is tedious at best. I spent a lot of time in this game turning planet labels on/off just to be able to see other planets in the same vicinity. Expand
  37. Jan 19, 2015
    I wanted to give this game more than a 6, I really did. However, there are a few things that keep me from doing so.

Some of the glaring problems the game has: Buggy multiplayer and bugs in general. I spent 6 hours trying to play this with a friend and couldn't get it to work. Believe me when I say we tried everything. Sometimes when you end the turn, the game will crash for no

Some of the glaring problems the game has:

Buggy multiplayer and bugs in general. I spent 6 hours trying to play this with a friend and couldn't get it to work. Believe me when I say we tried everything. Sometimes when you end the turn, the game will crash for no apparent reason. Don't expect any more bug patches coming out either, as this game is nearly hitting the decade old mark as I type this.

Terrible AI: I put it on hard with a low bonus (I assume this means the AI cheats) for my first game, and there was absolutely no challenge involved. The AI will accept and send treaties for absolutely no reason. I was getting smashed by one of the AI's in a sector I didn't have a fleet in, and while he rejected my first three peacemaking attempts, he accepted the fourth for seemingly no reason. I hadn't destroyed any of his ships and my fleet was still nowhere near his. Now I would have written this off as him being involved in a war somewhere else on the map, but it consistently happens with ANY computer opponent.

That being said, it's still a heavily enjoyable 4x with unique mechanics you wont find in any other game, such as being able to modify the map and cut off entire systems from computer players/your opponents, isolating your systems until someone else manages to go down a very, very research heavy tree in order to reopen warp points. You can even create your own planets! Which is what makes it such a shame that the multiplayer doesn't work.
  38. Oct 8, 2013
    It almost makes me sad to have to give this game such a low score. It has great potential but the only problem is the glitches you expieriance make the game unplayable. In fact I can't even get past turn 1 as it gets stuck on the processing player turns screen.
  39. Oct 24, 2013
    An excellent choice for anybody who enjoys 4X games, it has everything from research and development all the way to designing your own ships, creating you own empires and interacting with other empires. This game puts so much detail and options which include designing, research, facilities, diplomacy, starting a game, creating an empire and much more. Go get it, It's great.

1. Space Empires V is a space strategy game with plenty of depth and complexity, but it's so riddled with bugs and issues that it is ultimately tough to recommend.
  2. It’s a great-looking but clunky implementation of the classic “aliens, spaceships and lots of micromanagement” formula.
  3. If you stick with the smaller campaigns, you can focus on mastering the interface and designing the ultimate space fleet. Sometimes Space Empires V takes its commitment to customization too far, but there’s never any doubt who the emperor is.