8.0

1. Mar 15, 2011
    I recently downloaded both Space Empire IV & V from Steam and am not sure why there is so much praise here for V. Both games are played in a two dimensional plane (galaxy layout & space battles) but whereas IV had a clean layout V tries to add 3D visuals and ends up with a very cluttered interface. SE-V does offer a technological tree with amazing variety, a multitude of ship building options, and many planet improvements as well, but the time required to drill down to see details or to govern your entire empire from an overview is tedious at best. I spent a lot of time in this game turning planet labels on/off just to be able to see other planets in the same vicinity. Expand
  2. Oct 8, 2013
    It almost makes me sad to have to give this game such a low score. It has great potential but the only problem is the glitches you expieriance make the game unplayable. In fact I can't even get past turn 1 as it gets stuck on the processing player turns screen.
  3. Oct 24, 2013
    An excellent choice for anybody who enjoys 4X games, it has everything from research and development all the way to designing your own ships, creating you own empires and interacting with other empires. This game puts so much detail and options which include designing, research, facilities, diplomacy, starting a game, creating an empire and much more. Go get it, It's great.
  4. Nov 14, 2013
    This game gets an 8 from me out of the sheer ballsyness of scope that it plays at. You go from, "Look we have ion drives!" to, "Hold on a sec, I'ma make that star into a power factory for my civ, Brb." Woah! Mind blown.

Warning though, it's complex and very arcane. It's a joy if you absolutely love spending hours working very hard to understand large complicated systems. Not so great if
    you just want a video game to sit down and blow some steam off with. Expand

1. Space Empires V is a space strategy game with plenty of depth and complexity, but it's so riddled with bugs and issues that it is ultimately tough to recommend.
  2. It’s a great-looking but clunky implementation of the classic “aliens, spaceships and lots of micromanagement” formula.
  3. If you stick with the smaller campaigns, you can focus on mastering the interface and designing the ultimate space fleet. Sometimes Space Empires V takes its commitment to customization too far, but there’s never any doubt who the emperor is.