- Summary: Space Rangers HD takes place in 3300AD. Our galaxy is invaded by the Dominators, combat robots that come under the influence of an alien technology. The player finds themselves in a living, breathing world where they can engage multiple activities: fight in space and hyperspace, buy and sellSpace Rangers HD takes place in 3300AD. Our galaxy is invaded by the Dominators, combat robots that come under the influence of an alien technology. The player finds themselves in a living, breathing world where they can engage multiple activities: fight in space and hyperspace, buy and sell goods, accomplish government missions, liberate planets from the Dominators in 3D RTS battles and complete text adventures leading to unique plot twists and rewards. The game ending is not set and players may find a victory of either side at the end. Everything depends on the actions taken in this developing world where anybody can live the life of a pirate as well as that of a hero.… Collapse
Dec 9, 2013The glamorized sequel of the sandbox space simulation known as Space Rangers is expanded by expansion packs' content, along with higher resolution. Even though the game delivers literally hundreds of hours of entertainment, many of the game's elements are like from the stone age, including all the negatives from the original title. Fans of the hardcore experiences will enjoy this the same way as the previous installments.
Jul 10, 2014Игра детства, отличная квестовая система, сюжет. Космическая тематика очень близка, вспоминается гений фантастики Гарри Гаррисон. ОченьИгра детства, отличная квестовая система, сюжет. Космическая тематика очень близка, вспоминается гений фантастики Гарри Гаррисон. Очень радует разнообразие, игре есть чем удивить даже после 2 или 3 прохождения. 10 из 10 Всем советую.… Expand
Oct 21, 2013Really cool sandbox gameplay. Fantastic! Couldn't take off from that game so many hours. Difficulty could be tuned up to very challengingReally cool sandbox gameplay. Fantastic! Couldn't take off from that game so many hours. Difficulty could be tuned up to very challenging level. 10 from 10.… Expand
Jan 4, 2015Asinine meta-critic score. Most people playing this game will not have played the original version of Space Rangers 2, which was released inAsinine meta-critic score. Most people playing this game will not have played the original version of Space Rangers 2, which was released in November of 2004 (and afaik, wasn't available in English until 2006). There was also an expansion pack in 2009, called Space Rangers 2: Reboot. Unsure about most folks, but I'd just skim over an expansion pack for a game I don't own, regardless of how good the original game may or may not be.
I played the original Space Rangers 2 some 8 years ago, so I couldn't give some detailed list of new features, other than the higher resolution. The main thing that comes to mind is that the pirates were boosted in strength and fleshed out a bit (including a quest line involving them). I suspect there are several new text quests & planetary mission maps as well.
As for the game itself, one of the best I've ever played. It *does* have a somewhat steep learning curve. Great sandbox style space game that can hold its own vs classics such as Elite, Freespace, Freelancer.
In regard to CriticoDubioso's negative review;
1) Fast aging of technology can be changed via the advanced options menu.
2) If you find the high repair bills too difficult to handle, then you can lower them via the advanced options menu. I like how difficult the game is.
3) I have not had any issue with a lack of income 'mid-to-late game', so unsure what to say about that.
4) The high cost of fighting enemies depends mostly on your tech skill, which enemies you're fighting, whether or not you're using missiles, and... the settings you used when you started the game. With default settings, I have no problem generating positive income fighting Dominators (as long as research isn't complete on all three factions). I can agree somewhat in regard to fighting pirates. Possibly a bounty or something could be added for each pirate killed?
5) The travel speed can be adjusted in settings.… Expand
Dec 8, 2014Lol Critics of this game are dumb. 64 meta score wth is this?? Please dont give FPS lover review of Turn based strategy mix with trading rpgLol Critics of this game are dumb. 64 meta score wth is this?? Please dont give FPS lover review of Turn based strategy mix with trading rpg and rts in game missions. Oh i missed text rpg in game quests and arcade missions.… Expand
Jan 2, 2015A really great RPG experience. The universe is huge and the new additions of the HD version make the game a lot more interesting. The game isA really great RPG experience. The universe is huge and the new additions of the HD version make the game a lot more interesting. The game is however, nothing for graphics junkies: Spacebound action looks okay, nothing special, its perfectly playable, but dont expect much. There are also a lot of text-based quests. They are really a great and at times hilarious read if you give them a chance, often they are also really tricky and demanding.
The real strength of this game lies in its incredible strategic depth. You will have a great fun upgrading your equipment, searching for new weapons etc. If you are not a fan of this, you should reconsider, as you will spend a lot of time doing exactly that. The game also has a unique sense of humour, that however doesnt degrade the atmosphere at all (for example a quest where you have to deliver an old MS Windows Version to some planet). Combat is turn-based and in my opinion incredibly well done, as it allows for a lot of tactical possibilities, while being fast paced and satisfying aswell.
Also the world is extremely open, you can choose from five races, you can be a pirate, a merchant, a fighter, whatever you want. You can visit any planet you want, you can look for secret equipment on unpopulated planets with research probes, you can explore black holes, which throw you into an oldschool arcade shooting style world, IMO great fun.
You can defeat the different dominator races in a multitude of different ways, you can support the governments in many different ways. You can be a lone wolf, or you gather the strongest rangers you can find under your command. Theres just so many ways to play this game.
The only two drawbacks that I can think of: The pirates are somewhat overpowered if left on normal pirate aggression. I recommend tuning them down a little in the advanced difficulty settings (thats right, the game allows you to adjust the difficulty of pretty much anything in it seperately). They are more like some super-well financed, organized cyber-rampage crew, rather than a bunch of outlaws.
The second problem is that you now have to repair dominator weapons with nodes. This is on one hand really annoying, on the other hand somehow fair, because they are really, really strong.
The game has a steep, but fair learning curve and a lot of replayability value. I highly recommend it.… Expand
Mar 17, 2014There are no improvement for the flaws existed in the original SR2. The mains changes are higher resolution support and pirate acting as aThere are no improvement for the flaws existed in the original SR2. The mains changes are higher resolution support and pirate acting as a race.
The original design flaws like fast aging of technology, high repairing bills, lack of income in mid-to-late game, high cost of fighting enemies and long traveling time all still exist in the game.
In terms of gameplay, the balance is even made worse with pirates starting with ridiculously advanced equipment right in the beginning, and will soon conquer the universe under normal difficulty quite fast.
On the technical side, the performance seems to be a bit worse than the original one in modern PC environment.… Expand