8.2

1. Aug 27, 2012
    fantastic, thought provoking game. Narrative is king in this game, no other game I've played was as well thought out or intelligently presented. It makes "would you kindly" look like a quote from dora the explorer. finally a game that deals with some challenging issues, finally a game has a set of balls, a well constructed idea, and a dev team that can put it all together.
  2. Jan 14, 2013
    Perhaps the only moder military shooter about war, you know actual war and not heroism fairy tails, props to the guys at yager for try to do something different in a genre as stale as this one
  3. Dec 16, 2012
    Really liking the game so far. Controls are great on a 360 gamepad, it took a bit to get used to the cover-system but after ten minutes or so it became a breeze. The weapons I found fun to use and its nice that there isn't 1028203920 ammo crates throughout the game, you have to spare your ammo. Graphics are very solid for a console port, I loved the little details like the bugs crawlingReally liking the game so far. Controls are great on a 360 gamepad, it took a bit to get used to the cover-system but after ten minutes or so it became a breeze. The weapons I found fun to use and its nice that there isn't 1028203920 ammo crates throughout the game, you have to spare your ammo. Graphics are very solid for a console port, I loved the little details like the bugs crawling all around the corpses and the particle effects were nice. Headshots are also very satisfying. The story is very gripping, compelling even. Truly one of the few games that actually demonstrates the horror of war rather than glorify it. Expand
  4. Oct 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoyed this game, the single player had me making moral choices often and at times just wanted to put down the controller and stop fighting. Which is what I choose for my ending, no longer could I handle all this bloodshed and killing of those that were once on my side. At times I would be yelling at the game for having me do something that was very opposite of what i wanted. But in a good way, made me really thing about the environment I was in and what you would have to do if you were them. I never touched the MP, but that was cause I wasn't interested it in, so no thoughts there. Expand
  5. Nov 1, 2012
    If you love your shooters then this game gives you everything, great action, game play and a great story. I am a FPS person myself but this kept me gripped until the end. An underrated Gem if I ever did see one.
  6. Nov 1, 2012
    The game-play is nothing special, but don't let that fool you, this game packs some puch, aimed right at your head. The story starts out has a mere, banal, military shooter, only to give you a sense of familiarity, but them it starts to question you, it starts to play with you in ways that are rarely seen on a video-game. The character development is absolutely fantastic, mind blowing,The game-play is nothing special, but don't let that fool you, this game packs some puch, aimed right at your head. The story starts out has a mere, banal, military shooter, only to give you a sense of familiarity, but them it starts to question you, it starts to play with you in ways that are rarely seen on a video-game. The character development is absolutely fantastic, mind blowing, to the point were you question yourself as a gamer and as a person. The story is so profound and so full of moral ambiguity, that you have to play through a second time just to see what you have missed. This is not so much as a game, but rather an experience one feels through the telling of a story and it's characters. Expand
  7. Nov 30, 2012
    Its been a while since shooters have been taken by crappy pointless games geared towards multiplayer addiction. SO:TL is none of this. I didn't care about the multiplayer (which I heard sucks), but the campaign has one of the best stories in a video game I've ever seen. Its woirth it because of the memorable single player experience.
    The mechanics are cometimes flawed, true, and you may
    The mechanics are cometimes flawed, true, and you may die sometimes because you didn't got into cover when you should, but its nothing that breaks the game. It plays nicely, IMO.
  8. Dec 30, 2012
    Delightfully stunned... I picked this up on a Steam sale and expected to put it down after a few hours like I do most games. I can't speak for the console version of this game, but the PC version, at least as of right now is polished and smooth. The story was deep and dark with a great twist at the end. Absolutely awesome game and worth the money. Truly a great surprise.
  9. Nov 17, 2012
    I must say this is one of the best games of 2012 and it have one of the best stories of all time, Hard to forget the ending and the ruined Dubai
  10. Nov 24, 2012
    This game needs to have a high metacritic score, just for it's boldness. It's just incredible how interesting and compelling it gets to be, without being "fun".
  11. Jan 30, 2013
    I played the first few levels of this, up to a point where a civilian dressed in a burqa ran into my line of fire and I accidentally shot her. The game had been heavy-handedly building up the civilian tragedy aspect and the justifications for this sort of thing happening - but it seemed completely out of character for the morally ambiguous protagonist to yak on and on in the cut scenesI played the first few levels of this, up to a point where a civilian dressed in a burqa ran into my line of fire and I accidentally shot her. The game had been heavy-handedly building up the civilian tragedy aspect and the justifications for this sort of thing happening - but it seemed completely out of character for the morally ambiguous protagonist to yak on and on in the cut scenes about stuff like how "it's okay not to follow orders if we can save an American life" and then not have anything at all to say for himself after mowing down an innocent woman with a machine gun. And I was left thinking "oh well, I guess that probably happens all the time in Iraq" - and decided I had probably felt guiltier the first time I ran over a pedestrian in Grand Theft Auto.

The gameplay mechanics are atrocious - there are no consequences for getting shot so long as you can hide behind a conveniently placed rock for a few seconds until the bloodstains clear from the side of the screen. Red Steel on the Wii (!!!) had a similar depth of realism and tactics. It's completely linear - the guns all feel and sound the same - which is a complete mistake in the case of the AK47 and M14.

A rail-shooter is pretty much the last sort of game that should take on moral questions.
  12. Dec 26, 2012
    Spec Ops no es un juego perfecto, pero tiene más ideas, en términos de historia y de ambientación, que la enorme mayoría de los fichines del género. Es esencial para el que disfrute de un sólido juego de acción y sienta que ya lo vio todo.
  13. Jan 11, 2013
    The MP is not as well as the SP,I love the cover system,and the story of the game is good,but the MP just make me feel down,it sucks.that was bad,yeah,really bad.If Yager can give me a better MP,I think the scores of the game can be better.
  14. May 21, 2013
    +Lots of action
    +Great story that manages to make you feel guilty, no game to date has made me feel that, even if I could find one, it probably wouldn't have the kind of impact we here
    +Characters are pretty fitting, its nice to see even the comic relief becomes more serious & nervous as the game starts to turn awry. +Good use of "Nowhere To Run" by Martha and the Vandellas +realistic
    +Lots of action
    +Good use of "Nowhere To Run" by Martha and the Vandellas
    +realistic with the damage characters build on their body over time, and deteriotation of the teams morale
    -by the end you feel as broken and exhausted as the main character.
    -wonky cover mechanics, where a hit and miss 1/5th of the time
    -gameplay mechanics leave a bit to be desired, but there are some sections that break up what up the norm, helicopter ride, sandstorms, launching artillery. Environmental based deaths are to situational and cheap.

This game is going to have a special place for me in terms of stories, it's like the video game version of a popular Vietnam movie we never had, except set in Dubai. You know if its based on something that it's going to be good in capable hands.
  15. Jan 15, 2013
    this game includes everything you dream of playing shooters: tough battles, good animation of movements, not bad AI, really fresh setting and many other things. The only thing I found irritating was the placement of checkpoints. Once you face a "hard to get through" episode and fail - you have to repeat a 5-minute fighting before this - it's completely disastrous. But yet I found this gamethis game includes everything you dream of playing shooters: tough battles, good animation of movements, not bad AI, really fresh setting and many other things. The only thing I found irritating was the placement of checkpoints. Once you face a "hard to get through" episode and fail - you have to repeat a 5-minute fighting before this - it's completely disastrous. But yet I found this game extremely emotional. While playing, I felt like it was a real combat.
    So that, taking into consideration all the bad-placed checkpoints, my overall mark would be 9 out of 10 as all the other things I enjoyed a lot!
  16. Jan 25, 2013
    I truly believe this is the best game of 2012. I loved every minute of the story, and the gameplay is solid enough to me to forgive any slight technical shortcomings. It's a beautiful commentary on glorification of violence in games, and I love it to pieces.
  17. Jan 30, 2013
    At first I tried the demo. It was a pleasure to play with, I felt it very unique, so I bought it.
    I like it for it's big open Dubai maps, story, gameplay, cutscenes, 3rd person view, variety of guns, graphics, it's worth for me. Unreal engine is okay, it's beautiful and fast.
    I do not like it for it is very heartbreaking scenes.
  18. Feb 4, 2013
    Positives: Storyline and some of the choices are very good, not excellent. No other positives.

Negatives: Controls are terrible!!! I've never seen so many buttons to do stupid things. Also, some buttons don't respond when you press them. Programming is shotty as getting the first shot on an enemy does nothing some of the time; absolutely horrible. Achievements or buildups to achievements are just given at random.

I am very disappointed with this game. I want my money and my time back.
  19. Feb 15, 2013
    This game takes the generic shooter game and turns it on it's head. An amazing story sets the pace with many unexpected twists and turns. This game not only critiques the genre of shooters it even leaves you, the player with a greater perspective with gaming. However it does come with it's faults which is specifically the way it handles combat and ai systems. This can be discounted thoughThis game takes the generic shooter game and turns it on it's head. An amazing story sets the pace with many unexpected twists and turns. This game not only critiques the genre of shooters it even leaves you, the player with a greater perspective with gaming. However it does come with it's faults which is specifically the way it handles combat and ai systems. This can be discounted though as it critiquing the shooter genre and tricking you into thinking this is an ordinary game. Despite all odds this game has detoured away from the Call of Duty shooter that we know today and set things straight. Expand
  20. Aug 3, 2013
    spec ops the line has one of the most amazing stories in games although the gameplay is familiar cover and shoot but new mechanics like using the environment is really cool and your companions can be helpful although controls are frustrating sometimes but the story will keep you interested to the end and i enjoyed walking around Dubai it has a great environment and descent graphicsspec ops the line has one of the most amazing stories in games although the gameplay is familiar cover and shoot but new mechanics like using the environment is really cool and your companions can be helpful although controls are frustrating sometimes but the story will keep you interested to the end and i enjoyed walking around Dubai it has a great environment and descent graphics in a nutshell spec ops has familiar game play but one of the most awesome stories you'll encounter Expand
  21. Mar 16, 2013
    Fun game. The story didn't impress me too much but gameplay was fun. Only eight hours is a little bit short, and multiplayer is bad but you should give it a try.
  22. Jul 22, 2013
    Don't believe the hype about the story. The gameplay is alright I guess but nothing amazing. I guess if you thought Bioshock was deep you might get into this too...
  23. Mar 28, 2013
    Perhaps containing one of the best storyline in gaming, Spec Ops the line is an experience that comes along extremely rarely and is a must have. While the gameplay admittedly falls flat and fails to be anything revolutionary, the Heart of Darkness inspired story really shines though with its themes and inglorious war and really gives you an emotional experience as you witness the slowPerhaps containing one of the best storyline in gaming, Spec Ops the line is an experience that comes along extremely rarely and is a must have. While the gameplay admittedly falls flat and fails to be anything revolutionary, the Heart of Darkness inspired story really shines though with its themes and inglorious war and really gives you an emotional experience as you witness the slow spiral down Walker experiences though the game. Expand
  24. May 12, 2013
    Single player review only

Single player review only

To me, this game is one of my highlights from 2012. The mature, provocative nature of the storyline and characters sees you and your team go through some of the most disturbing horrors of war. There are moments in Spec Ops that make you feel hate like nothing I’ve experienced before. The feeling of loss and the moments for grieving that last all but minutes are true to the nature of war and the theme is therefore executed brilliantly with attention to details you may not notice on your first play through. The storyline is the stand out feature with it closely following the short novel “Heart of Darkness” written by Joseph Conrad. If you haven’t read or heard of “Heart of Darkness”, you will be in for a treat playing through the singer player campaign.

The core mechanics of Spec Ops feature a 3rd person perspective with everything working very well. The cover system which has you popping out and picking off enemies with ease is a joy to use (mainly because it works, unlike RE: Operation Raccoon City). There is also a blind fire option which was valuable during my play through on Fubar difficulty. The guns feel nice with a good selection on offer which all boasts secondary firing options. I felt very at home with the mechanics on offer and felt that, although they were not revolutionary, they worked well and felt tight which therefore lead to no moments of gaming frustration.

Graphically, the game looks beautiful on the highest settings on PC. Some nice special effects are on offer and you feel fully immersed in the city of Dubai. Although the engine is dated and the game falls short compared to games such as Crysis 3 and Tomb Raider, Spec Ops features impeccable level design that is linear offering only a single pathway to complete levels; but it works because the world you are lead through offers a unique amount of detail and situations that keep it feeling fresh and engaging.

In conclusion, this game is well worth the purchase. The game can be picked up cheaply now and serves as excellent value for money if you can get it for under £10. Featuring some of the darkest story telling depicted in games and a conclusion that will stick with you long after playing (this does depend on how engross you are playing games) the game is a must buy for fans of story driven third person shooters looking for something that excites on a very mature level.

Spec Ops gets a brilliant 9/10.
  25. Apr 13, 2013
    Spec Ops: The Line is a 3rd person modern military shooter. I know what you're thinking, "another generic shooter". Yes, the game follows the established pattern of big explosions and cinematics, but its done in an entertaining manner. Where the game really comes to life is in the narrative and the cast. If you don't mind trudging through a scripted shooter for a great story, then I wouldSpec Ops: The Line is a 3rd person modern military shooter. I know what you're thinking, "another generic shooter". Yes, the game follows the established pattern of big explosions and cinematics, but its done in an entertaining manner. Where the game really comes to life is in the narrative and the cast. If you don't mind trudging through a scripted shooter for a great story, then I would recommend this game to you. I finished it on "insane" in about 6 hours. So it is fairly short, but worth the entertainment if it is on steam sale or bundled with another game. Expand
  26. May 19, 2013
    I thoroughly enjoyed this game. Story is fantastic, game play is only average. It ends up being repetitive as do most cover+fire games. The story holds the game together and will have you wanting to play more despite the lackluster game mechanics. Definitely not worth full price, but should be a future purchase none the least.
  27. Jun 11, 2013
    If you like are ever played Gear of war then this gam has some thing to offer you .
    One of the most underrated games of the past few years just because of the not so good MP they were forced to add. And a lot of people don't like the Anti War and anti American politics in the game

Game is all about single player which is very good, Great fire fights and games graphics are very good along with a good story .You can pick this up cheap not and its well worth it
  28. Jun 30, 2013
    At first glance, the game might seem to be another third person shooter clone, with nice cover mechanics, shooting mechanics, and gameplay mechanics, like the integration of sand into combat, but it is so much more than that. Quite honestly I picked up Spec Ops: The Line as a cheap sale on steam, expecting, like I said above, a generic third person shooter in a new environment. StartingAt first glance, the game might seem to be another third person shooter clone, with nice cover mechanics, shooting mechanics, and gameplay mechanics, like the integration of sand into combat, but it is so much more than that. Quite honestly I picked up Spec Ops: The Line as a cheap sale on steam, expecting, like I said above, a generic third person shooter in a new environment. Starting off, the game sort of feels like a drag, same sort of characters you might find in a modern military shooter. Soon, though, I became attached to one character in particular: Lugo. No spoilers here, by the way. Anyhow, he seemed to genuinely care about what was going on in the environment. Basically, all the characters soon did. The way you face the problems of war, and soon the even deeper underlying problems that unmask themselves as you move into the 12th and 13th chapters, unlike any other soldier you might have suited up as in any other FPS or TPS, is genuinely refreshing, interesting, and furthermore makes the game a completely unique title. Like many other great titles, it has an awesome ending, and builds up very well in the meantime.
    Story-wise, this game is great. Something that'll keep you thinking, especially after you've made your choices. Like so many other games that allow you to make a major choice and influence the ending and development of the story, you begin to wonder: "did I make the right choice?" Often times, this causes you to be involved in the story they've placed you in, and furthermore causes you to honestly enjoy (or sometimes, in this case, not enjoy) what you're playing and watching. 10/10
    Graphics-wise, this game is gorgeous, save a few texture effects that seem a tad low budget. Other than that, the engine truly shines, masking the terrible destruction Dubai has undergone. It makes the buildings look wonderful and the destruction look real. 9/10
    Sound-wise, this game really knows how to place the music. The soundtrack included in the game is played at all the right moments, especially around the ending. On top of that, the noise and effects are genuinely special, sounding real and effective. Furthermore, the voice acting is top-tier and sounds very real. 9/10
    Gameplay-wise, this game could use some help. As I said, when you begin playing, it seems very generic, basically, because it is. It's a very generic shooter, on top of the fact that the controls are out of place. I mean, "space" to run? Who thought of that? However, the gameplay mechanics orchestrated in each fight are genuinely fun to play with, and tend to bring some originality and light to the otherwise dusty and unoriginal style of play. 7/10

This game isn't about a war, shooting up bad guys, or being the hero. A lot of times, it's about you, your team, and the choices you make. Furthermore, it's a game that looks deeply into being the bad guy at times. It looks into emotional appeal of the gamer, and really hits home. There is a multiplayer inclusion of Spec Ops: The Line, but to put it bluntly, it's lame, not fun, and might ruin the experience you have with this otherwise legendary game. Stay away from the multiplayer. Only other criticism is: it's short. I covered the story on "Suicide Mission" difficulty in 4 hours (or so Steam says.) However, I'd say the story is replayable, as long as you don't mind trudging through the sloppy controls again.

Overall, I rate this game a 9/10 Legendary game with a great story. Definitely worth buying.
  29. Aug 7, 2013
    Although adding nothing new to the genre gameplay-wise this shooter is an outstanding piece of art when it comes to terms of story and picture.
    Yes, the graphics aren't topnotch but they are good, the AI is close to awful and the level-layout is pretty simple yet all this becomes insignificant when you get blown away by stunningly beautiful Levels (speaking of the crafted images not the layout) and a story so dark and moving that I just sat there staring at my monitor for what felt like minutes more than once.
    Spec Ops: The Line isn't by any means a great shooter yet it tells a unique story which makes a playthrough well worth your time.
  30. Aug 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoyed this game. I'm not usually one for first third person shooters, but solidly enjoyed this. I got it as part of a pre-purchase of XCOM the Bureau, so was effectively free, and was pleasantly surprised. Although the mechanics were sometimes a little rough around the edges (ordering squad mates was not as intuitive or fleshed out as much as I would have liked), the story and dialogue kept me engaged. I really enjoyed the scenario and environment in this game, the sand storms and dunes made things interesting, and the movement between close indoors combat and outdoor combat, as well as lots of vertical movement and engagement, kept things fresh. This was really important to me, as in the end you are mainly fighting the same sort of troop again and again (though knives and shotguns would be pointed out to me by my squad mates they still just needed a few bullets to take down the biggest change in type would be heavies, which required a bit of work). The large range of scenarios for engaging these homogenous enemies made it feel fresh up until the end. The story was top notch, and was very happy with the ending I got (1 of 4 or 5 I think), with enough foreshadowing throughout that the twist seems legitimate and not out of the blue. I don't know if I enjoyed it enough to replay the whole thing through again, but I very much enjoyed the ~5 hours I put into it (again, it was free). Expand
  31. Sep 17, 2012
    Im going to against my gut feeling so I can produce a reliable review. why this score. Well to rebalance the morons who gave it a red score.
    Some are right. If you bug this game for multiplayer or groundbreaking gameplay mechanics. Or cutting edge graphics, this game isnt for you, but if you love a story. Its unbetable. first, im a PC gamer therefore a graphics whore. The graphics arent fabulous, but every scene has detail, good lighting, and there is a huge variety (of unfortunately mediocre quality) textures. Many are used only once, very uncomon for a game. gameplay. For a cover based third person shooter, there is nothing new, but it certainly does alot better than most game. Sometimes a bit clunky, but only a few times making me angry. The shooting is nice. Head shots are deadly, and body shots do the damage they should. story. The key feature. People says it is copying heart of darkness and apocalyps now would be correct. It certainly is. But thats a good thing. For a game to be able to capture such a magnificent storytelling feat is monumentous. Never has a developer gone so brave in a video game, yet pulled it off so well. My hats of to all who worked on the game. Thankyou investors for going brave (even if you did fore a generic tac on multiplayer as a contiingency) overall this is yet another game tha makes me want to go and rate every other game I have said has a good story down a point, and yet another to add to my hillariously big list if "games you must play" with this one sitting very near the top with such beasts as red dead redemption and assassins creed.
  32. Aug 10, 2013
    Why people praise this game as a model of story telling and a critique of modern shooters is beyond me. The story is super linear and full of scripted events which present the illusion of player choice but are painfully transparent. And a critique this is not. Instead, Spec Ops The Line is full of every stereotype of modern shooters. You have a simple cover based mechanic, corridorWhy people praise this game as a model of story telling and a critique of modern shooters is beyond me. The story is super linear and full of scripted events which present the illusion of player choice but are painfully transparent. And a critique this is not. Instead, Spec Ops The Line is full of every stereotype of modern shooters. You have a simple cover based mechanic, corridor level design even when outdoors, and while I admit the story had some surprising twists and memorable moments, it's all super predictable. Despite the short length I found myself wishing for it all to end so I could go play something else.

You have your standard military assault rifles and SMGs and the occasional grenade launcher or whatever. You have emplaced turrets that no console shooter would be without. You have rail segments where memorizing the pattern of enemies is the only way to survive. This game is shooter cliche central and NOT the masterpiece other user reviews present it to be.

Of course, no one is playing multiplayer anymore. If I had a dollar for every game this gen that tacked on multiplayer instead of creating a memorable and replayable singleplayer experience, I'd have a lot of dollars. Avoid this game unless you have a compulsion to play every shooter on the market.
  33. Nov 2, 2013
    Great graphics with attention to detail (debris, dust, particles, fire, dirt, light), changing appearance of the PCs. Great voice over all voices are spot on, dialogs are very good, soldier chatter and yelling fits the action on the screen. Shooting is very satisfactory. Very interesting plot, grim mood. Awesome music (shooting to the disco music FTW) the music itself makes me want toGreat graphics with attention to detail (debris, dust, particles, fire, dirt, light), changing appearance of the PCs. Great voice over all voices are spot on, dialogs are very good, soldier chatter and yelling fits the action on the screen. Shooting is very satisfactory. Very interesting plot, grim mood. Awesome music (shooting to the disco music FTW) the music itself makes me want to play it again. I don't know where the opinion of a mediocre game comes from Spec Ops should have a place among the best games of this generation, not be pushed aside. I strongly recommend you to play this game if you like TPP shooters and/or games with good plot. Expand
  34. Jul 8, 2012
    The gameplay mechanics are mediocre. HOWEVER, the storyline in this game is fantastic. It is dark, gritty and sad. Don't expect any happy moments in this game. The sound in the game is also decent, however the gun sounds could use some work (in my opinion). Get this game, it's worth your time just for the great and interesting story.
  35. Apr 12, 2013
    A high quality title in every sense. Controls are excellent even on the PC version, gameplay is solid, has a good story and on highest settings it's one of the most graphically vibrant games. The lighting is better than Battlefield 3 (and certainly the best lighting of any third-person game), textures are crisp, facial detail is excellent and it's not too demanding. Not only does the gameA high quality title in every sense. Controls are excellent even on the PC version, gameplay is solid, has a good story and on highest settings it's one of the most graphically vibrant games. The lighting is better than Battlefield 3 (and certainly the best lighting of any third-person game), textures are crisp, facial detail is excellent and it's not too demanding. Not only does the game look great, it plays well too. Think of it as a military Gears of War with more realistic story, characters & context. This is undoubtedly amongst the greatest third-person shooters on PC. It lacks in innovation and doesn't do anything particularly interesting or new, but it's a great game. One thing to be wary of is that although it's a story-heavy game, it isn't well-explained and can be hard to follow. Even if you don't understand what's going on though, it's still a good story regardless because of the way it's presented and paced. Multiplayer is not even worth considering, since there's nobody playing it online. It's a good job all achievements for the game are offline! Expand
  36. May 11, 2013
    I am not into military shooters, but I really enjoy playing spec ops. The action is great, visuals are decent as well, They could of added alittle more detail. Voice acting is professional, the characters sound great!
    Buy this game!
  37. Jan 3, 2013
    Pretty good short Single Player experience. I had one or two laughs but this game is mostly very dark, people die and cry, and mostly it's because of your actions. That's also why I liked this game, you are no hero just a soldier in war.
  38. Oct 6, 2012
    It is rare that the game sucked so plot, atmosphere. It is rare that a choice in the game a long time and then we wonder so regret your choice. Really great atmosphere and feelings that accompany the game. It is true that the gameplay itself is not a medal, and the game could be made ​​better, then it is a good fun game that is worth playing. My Rating - 7.5 / 10
  39. Nov 6, 2012
    The Line isn't for the most fanatic arcade shooters, but it is not meant to be. It has little bit better tha average 3rd person cover shooter mechanics and makes up it weaknesses with superb story telling (even though loading screen "motivation" texts little bit kills the mood. Game looks nice and isn't too shiny which supports the story. Enemy AI works well enough but your own companionsThe Line isn't for the most fanatic arcade shooters, but it is not meant to be. It has little bit better tha average 3rd person cover shooter mechanics and makes up it weaknesses with superb story telling (even though loading screen "motivation" texts little bit kills the mood. Game looks nice and isn't too shiny which supports the story. Enemy AI works well enough but your own companions are suicidal if ordered to do anything else than snipe or take out enemy's strongpoint. Expand
  40. Nov 20, 2012
    Mature single player game with fantastic smooth graphics and unique shooter gameplay. We need more shooters like this and less of the same old formula other companies are churning out. For a shooter with a story, albeit a dark one, look no further than Spec Ops:The Line.
  41. Aug 30, 2012
    I found this game to be very good. The story was incredible and the gunplay was decent. The game is pretty short though which is pretty unfortunate. I believe that the game should've been released for like 40 or 30 dollars with no multiplayer and it would be much better.
  42. Jul 15, 2012
    Nice atmosphere adn plot. Shootouts are somewhat fresh and fun. Characters are good. Graphically is more than decent with some great spots. It made me think about heart of darkness in modern times... Overall a solid quality game. 8.
  43. Aug 2, 2013
    Congratulations. This is one of the worst console ports that ever have been made. The gameplay is terrible. Sprint, cover and action use the same button
  44. May 6, 2013
    Very fun game, great history, keeps you entertained, you want to keep playing to find what's coming next.

I have no issues with gameplay, its pretty fun to me.

Only reason I don't give a 9 or 10 is because of the miserable console port....
  45. Dec 28, 2012
    Spec ops: The Line is a really great game if you are looking for a deep and well-told story. As a shooter it is mostly average: the controls work in most situations, there is a reasonable amount of different locations the graphics are nice although sound is a bit lacking.

So if you are looking for a shooter and don't care about the story you will get a few hours of decent entertainment with the campaign but for you it will probably be something 5-ish.
    If you are looking for a good multiplayer experience you might just rage-quit the game and look for a way to rate it below 0.
    But if you play games mostly for their story, like I do, you will love it and for you it may very well be a 9 or 10.
  46. Oct 12, 2012
    Spec Ops is an interesting game. Its cover-based shoot and duck gameplay works pretty well and the developers have put some interesting ideas involving sand into the game that i really enjoyed. The gameplay do have some of the issues that duck and cover games often have. Regenerated health can get really annoying, a ridiculous amount of enemies at every shoot-out room, the shooting gets aSpec Ops is an interesting game. Its cover-based shoot and duck gameplay works pretty well and the developers have put some interesting ideas involving sand into the game that i really enjoyed. The gameplay do have some of the issues that duck and cover games often have. Regenerated health can get really annoying, a ridiculous amount of enemies at every shoot-out room, the shooting gets a little bit repetitive after a while. Despite this i would say that the gameplay is pretty good, but that is not where the game shines. What makes this game shine is its story and atmosphere and how the game presents them. Spec ops has a very unique story and a very unique way of presenting it. The games story and presentation is just amazing and something that i have never seen in a military shooter before and i wholeheartedly recommend this game for every shooter enthusiast out there simple for the games narrative. Expand
  47. Jul 23, 2013
    Well made shooter, but the story is not entertaining, it's disgusting in the most negative sense of the word. I stopped playing it and uninstalled it after a certain horrible scene. This is not how I want to spend my free time, however realistic it might be, if I wanted this I could turn on the news.

If you want to be forced to feel like crap for playing a FPS, get this. Otherwise get something else.
  48. Jan 10, 2013
    Bought the game after reviews talked about its involving storyline and controversial nature.
    The gameplay is so, so not as slick as COD or BF titles but adequately playable.
    The strength of this game is in the story and the transition of the mental state of the characters and how involved you feel in the decisions you have to make, It is refreshing for someone to take a more

It is refreshing for someone to take a more realistic look at war and its impact.
  49. Dec 6, 2013
    This game shows perfectly all the brutality of war. The action is well designed and the combat parts are excellent. maybe there are too many cinematic but the game is so well developed that the player enjoys every minute of it. Nice game, I personally don't recommended for kids under 16, but for the rest it worth the purchase
  50. Aug 4, 2012
    Superb story that develops overtime, characters that you grow to love, one of the rare games I will remember for a long time. You get really committed to the story that on several occasions I was really disturbed and upset. Thing that I didn't like are controls, a bit clunky, and when push comes to shove, they will probably bail on you and you will die, a lot. No worries, story will pushSuperb story that develops overtime, characters that you grow to love, one of the rare games I will remember for a long time. You get really committed to the story that on several occasions I was really disturbed and upset. Thing that I didn't like are controls, a bit clunky, and when push comes to shove, they will probably bail on you and you will die, a lot. No worries, story will push you to keep going. About lack of choices, there are some, not that major, but this isn't rpg, you know what you are getting, and probably will get more. Expand
  51. Dec 30, 2012
    The most remarkable thing about this game is its truly dark story and its high level of unnecessary violence. I thought it would be a straight shooter game, but the "Apocalypse Now" - like story added greatly to the gaming experience, although I don't like things that brutal. The setting of post-apocalyptic Dubai is rather unique and interesting. The opponent A.I. is rather bad andThe most remarkable thing about this game is its truly dark story and its high level of unnecessary violence. I thought it would be a straight shooter game, but the "Apocalypse Now" - like story added greatly to the gaming experience, although I don't like things that brutal. The setting of post-apocalyptic Dubai is rather unique and interesting. The opponent A.I. is rather bad and predictable, controls are also bad. Overall I give it an 8 because it was an enjoyable experience and well worth the money. Expand
  52. Jul 14, 2014
    Masterpiece.

You don't believe me?

Try it.

...and then come back here to talk...

The story is something you find once in a hundred of today games.

The gameplay feels nice and it maybe take some time to settle in but when it does you'll be poppin heads.

Visually - great. Graphics can stay shoulder to shoulder with the games from 2014 and style and colors are just swesome.
  53. May 6, 2013
    Simply an amazing game. Spec Ops: The Line offers high end, fast paced action game play to the player. If you're in it for the story, then this game will give it to you. If you're in it for the game play and mechanics, well...then this is just your average shooter. Overall, I'd say stick to enjoying the story line. It clearly shows that the devs have put a lot of time and effort intoSimply an amazing game. Spec Ops: The Line offers high end, fast paced action game play to the player. If you're in it for the story, then this game will give it to you. If you're in it for the game play and mechanics, well...then this is just your average shooter. Overall, I'd say stick to enjoying the story line. It clearly shows that the devs have put a lot of time and effort into crafting such an intense story. It really hits you in the gut at some points in the game. It is not for the weak hearted because there are a lot of disturbing elements that drive you to the edge of your seat. (I won't give any spoilers however).

As for the game play mechanics, it may not be the best engine used in the world, giving it's only unreal 3, but it is your average low end 'Gears of War' or Ghost Recon Future Soldier.' Main guns are typically the ones used in every military shooter, but why else must you complain? It's post apocalyptic modern military warfare. All in all, great game for what it is. Definitely worth a shot playing it. It will surely leave you questioning, what you just played.
  54. Nov 6, 2012
    Although Spec Ops does not recreate the genre it adds some new things to it:
    Although Spec Ops does not recreate the genre it adds some new things to it:
    First of all: The Story! What starts like generic war story in Dubai turns out to be a moving history about the bad and awful sides of war that games like Battlefield and CoD tend to forget. We get to see how the protagonists suffer from the terrible events they go through. And let me tell you this, there are plenty!
    Secondly : The Atmosphere: The game has a very emerging atmoshpere that draggs you right into to the action.
    Thridly: The Sound: The weapons and the screams of your enemies sound all pretty good.
    The generell gameplay is pretty standart solid thirdpersone shooter stuff.

So as I said at the beginning Spec Ops does not revolutionize the genre BUT it tries to go new ways in storytelling and that is its strengh. At the end of the campain I sat in front of my PC staring at the screen and asking myself what I have done. Because there is no good or bad, it's only bad or worst.
    If you want something new try it...and don't try the demo it's terrible!
  55. Dec 5, 2012
    This was a good game, though it could have been a bit better. The story was there, as long as you can draw the line between fantasy and reality. If you can't do that, keep on browsing for a different game. If you can do that, then you will get to the game play. It is a bit sloppy, but all in all if you are careful, it is possible to actually like it. Not the greatest game out there, but itThis was a good game, though it could have been a bit better. The story was there, as long as you can draw the line between fantasy and reality. If you can't do that, keep on browsing for a different game. If you can do that, then you will get to the game play. It is a bit sloppy, but all in all if you are careful, it is possible to actually like it. Not the greatest game out there, but it is solid. Collapse
  56. Jul 29, 2013
    This is just a great game, with stunning visuals, great game-play and an innovative story for the genre. The ambience is breathtaking and you'll get glued playing for hours. Music is also very immersive and meshes extremely well with the style of the game. One of the best TPS out there.
  57. Jul 15, 2013
    One of the best games I've played in years!! The cover-based system is even more fun than Max Payne 3, and it also has auto-aim --which always makes the game a lot more fun and combats more spectacular, when using a game-pad.
  58. Sep 16, 2013
    I haven't tried the multiplayer or co-op campaigns, but the single-player campaign in Spec Ops: The Line is wonderful. The graphics are quite good, the story is amazing, the sounds are convincing, the controls are solid, and the weapons feel really powerful and are a pleasure to shoot. I understand that Call of Duty and its clones are falling out of fashion, but in terms of single-playerI haven't tried the multiplayer or co-op campaigns, but the single-player campaign in Spec Ops: The Line is wonderful. The graphics are quite good, the story is amazing, the sounds are convincing, the controls are solid, and the weapons feel really powerful and are a pleasure to shoot. I understand that Call of Duty and its clones are falling out of fashion, but in terms of single-player this is a pretty good CoD clone and well worth checking out. Expand
  59. Feb 19, 2013
    This game is worth playing for the story. If you can get this game for a few dollars, play it on easy mode and you can blast through the campaign in about 4 hours. But it's definitely worth experiencing. Gameplay is nothing special but they definitely got a great story in this game.
  60. Aug 23, 2013
    I shat bricks. Every developer should take note of this game. It changed the way first person shooters are judged as a whole. Just a heads up, this game is much more violent than the average 3rd person shooter (which is saying something).
  61. Nov 15, 2013
    This is not a game you will play to have fun.

This is not a game you will play to feel good.

This is not a game you will play to be a hero.

This is a game you will play to see war as the hell it is

This is a game you will play to see exactly how screwed up modern military games are.

This is a game you will play for the same reason you would play a horror game.
  62. May 4, 2013
    In a field overly saturated how does one shooter stand out against another? In Spec Ops The Line the addictive story is what makes it stand out above the rest. Too long have I been bombarded with over the top cool ads for the latest Call of Duty Zombie Warfare 10 with extra death on the side, it’s all too much. I don’t pretend that CoD 4 didn’t in some way however small or largeIn a field overly saturated how does one shooter stand out against another? In Spec Ops The Line the addictive story is what makes it stand out above the rest. Too long have I been bombarded with over the top cool ads for the latest Call of Duty Zombie Warfare 10 with extra death on the side, it’s all too much. I don’t pretend that CoD 4 didn’t in some way however small or large revolutionise or more rather galvanise the market, I’d be a fool to deny that since CoD 4 I have noticed a large increase in the amount of shooter’s, which isn’t necessarily good for Gaming in general. If we want to be taken as serious people with a love of a hobby we shouldn’t turn to behemoths such as CoD where human beings are ripped up with machine gun fire and dismembered with motor fire. Such games are the Fast Food equivalent of the Games industry, sure it may be nice but it’s not good for you and it lacks sufficient sustenance.
    However as I said Spec Ops The Line manages to keep above the tidal wave of, when you actually think about it, poorly written games or just straight up plain violence for violence sake. For me Spec Ops The Line asked one major question and its one that has been rattling around my brain when it comes to shooter’s: How do you live with the actions you take?
    It’s interesting, think about most of the games that are sold en mass to the general market, not the people who have a love and passion for games who dig deep to find that one indie game that speaks volumes to them. No, I mean the incredibly popular mainstream titles where, if you dare to go online, you get abused by Bro’s or a 12 year old with a surprisingly colourful vocabulary. So with those games in mind, I’ve often thought these are characters that are, I imagine in some cases, loved. These are men that shoot and kill vast amounts of people and overcome incredible odds and they just shrug it off. These are meant to be people with real feelings and emotions, not blank, impersonal drones with a gun in hand.
    Spec Ops The Line follows 3 men as they are sent into Dubai to find an old friend of the protagonist who was originally sent in to evacuate survivors of a terrible storm that ravaged Dubai’s beautiful landscape and skyline. You play Captain Walker a man with a mysterious past in Kabul where he met your target Konrad, a celebrated War Hero. Through some initially confusing story you begin to discover what happened here in Dubai, all is not well as 2 factions’ war it out against each other (and you) and through it all a crazed DJ plays tracks like its Vietnam 2.
    Even in a linear game such as SOTL it offers choices to the player, choices that at the end are reflected upon and for good reason, because of the question it askes. How do these men whose jobs are to kill upon command survive what they encounter, or even do they? The player gets a feel for how maybe the command you’re given isn’t the command that you should carry out, this becomes especially clear as you progress through the game and through the actions you make. It is because of the actions you make and how you’re 2 man squad reacts that give the player a true immersion, on a personal note I had to pause the game at several crucial moments to decide what I should do, is there a right and wrong here? Does the easy way ever meet with the right way of doing things?
    If like me you get swooped up in the story you may find the loading screens become more eerie. It’s one of the many minor things that I love about this game and that is the game itself askes questions of you and prompts you with things like “Can you even remember why you came here?” “You are still a good person” “Do you feel like a hero yet?” and also “This is all your fault”. People have incorrectly called this taunting, but I feel it’s supposed to make you think about not necessarily the genre of games that people just seem to buy into but also the real life actions of people who do this and as a result end up with PTSD.
    Now I’ve love to say more, it’s been a while since I’ve played a game and truly couldn’t get enough of it, and with a story that has many layers and possible choices to take, it’s definitely worthy of more than one play through, but I feel if I write much more I’d give away some major points.
    A little tip though, if you want the most from the game, unlock the FUBAR setting (never has this acronym felt so appropriate) and play through it, sure it’s harder but as I just said, the loading screens can get eerie and give you some sort of insight. Now I’m off to play some more. Cheers for reading.
    Cheers for reading, for more reviews see willza99.wordpress.com
  63. Aug 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It has some unique storytelling elements which I have not yet seen in any game so far. Spec Ops: the line does throw some scenarios which really makes the player feel bad about himself.

An example of this scenario was when I was looking down at running soldiers, trying to sprint away from the bullets which I and my companions were haling down onto them. They just ran, for their lives. They did not try to stop me, fight me or otherwise hinder me. They just ran. This left me feeling bad about myself, unethical in a way, to shoot people who just are scared.

The games way of throwing these scenarios at the player is the strongest point in the game. The game does not stop, it just continues like nothing. If you accidentally shoot a running civilian, fine, the game does not pause, does not give you a "game over" status, it just continues, but it left me feeling bad, almost dirty.

Dialogue is, meh. It gets to many thrown in the soup sometimes. However the conflict between the players two sidekicks are sometimes interesting.

Controls are broken. It becomes clear that this is a lousy PC-Port. The developers decided to bind several functions to one button. While this is logical on a controller there is no reason to do this on a pc.
    Clunky is the word to describe it. I got me killed a couple of times.

The graphics are impressive, which is to be expected from an UE3 game. It is not bad looking at all, but it is neither as good as the very top of some other games like Crysis or Metro: last light.
    Most impressive is the sandstorms who occasionally whips up tons of sand around the player, obscuring his/hers vision.

If the graphics are good, the gameplay itself is not. Combine weak AI (standard rush to death pattern), uninteresting guns, bad controls and one or two to many office-buildings to traverse, it is monotonous and repetitive.

What really grinds me is how the developers are using scripted-events a little to often.

On one scenario I am walking through a huge pile of dead people, and the restrict my movement for no good reason. It is like they are trying to say

"Look how horrible this is"

Well, I could find that out myself, thanks.

Spec ops: the line sure has its great moments, but it is never fun to play it.
    It has interesting ideas, and executes those well, but otherwise, it fails.
  64. Oct 5, 2013
    One of the best modern shooters to come out this year, The plot is constantly keeping you guessing and the ending is very mind blowing. I expected this to be a general modern FPS but it completely blew away my expectations. Very well done.
  65. Jun 9, 2013
    Didn't play many TPS games before..so the gameplay and the control of this game seemed OK to me..I don't know whether it was too bad or not comparing to other games..but Gears of War is better than this one..However, the plot of this game is absolutely outstanding..Want to know what will you become in some extreme situations such as in a war? Play this one..
  66. Jul 28, 2013
    When you go into the menu screen of spec ops the line you think that you are going to experience a very typical MMS. Patriotic American music, near post apocolipticish, and shooting brown people. But, you soon find that this is not a typical MMS. It is much darker. The game has a very dark story line about rouge 33rd battalion of US soldiers killing civilians in Dubai after a sand storm.When you go into the menu screen of spec ops the line you think that you are going to experience a very typical MMS. Patriotic American music, near post apocolipticish, and shooting brown people. But, you soon find that this is not a typical MMS. It is much darker. The game has a very dark story line about rouge 33rd battalion of US soldiers killing civilians in Dubai after a sand storm. You are a group of three men trying to rescue the civilians but by doing so you need to kill you own men, and the game makes you feel bad for it. Also, in one mission, you have to use napalm on the 33rd's soldiers because you would die if you didn't. But it turns out they were trying to help civilians and in bombing them you bomb innocent civilians. The game then makes you go and look at their mangled up burn corpses. I won't go any further as I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

Spec Ops: The Line is a game you experience rather than enjoy. If you enjoy this game you are most likely a psychopath and need to go and see a doctor.

Actual gameplay.

The gameplay in Spec ops: The Line is typical of any other shooter and lets the game down in many ways. Also the mouse acceleration is infuriating to the extent that I actually had to switch to an Xbox pad.
  67. Jun 27, 2013
    I read about this game a long time ago and finally decided to buy it a few months ago when it was on sale. I must say, I am impressed by it. The gameplay is not unique in any aspect but fairly satisfying, graphics are really nice but what was seriously positive is the story. This game made me think about the topic of war a lot more than games like Call of Duty do. This is really a gameI read about this game a long time ago and finally decided to buy it a few months ago when it was on sale. I must say, I am impressed by it. The gameplay is not unique in any aspect but fairly satisfying, graphics are really nice but what was seriously positive is the story. This game made me think about the topic of war a lot more than games like Call of Duty do. This is really a game that I will remember for a long time even though I doubt I will replay much of it. Expand
  68. Aug 11, 2013
    Many games try to capture what it's like for soldiers on the battlefield but most fail utterly, this game does it spectacularly, along with awesome graphics and good game play mechanics this is highly recommended
  69. Aug 21, 2013
    This game is just poetry to me. So much good stuff to talk about here.
    The story and cinematography are the best aspect of the game: never I've been so attacked to a story (well, beside Telltale's Walking Dead) and Captain Walker is my second favourite video game character ever after John Marston: he starts out as a typical action hero, but in the end he changes a lot.
    The gameplay is
    This game is just poetry to me. So much good stuff to talk about here.
    The gameplay is not god-awful as many say: I love me some third-person shooters and I got a lot of enjoyment from this game.
    The replay value is pretty high: you may change some decision in the story, as well as seeing what happens with a different perspective. Plus, there is a co-op mode that is just amazing, with new maps to play with a friend. The multiplayer is okay, too bad not many people play it.
  70. Oct 20, 2013
    This game... this game...

If you want to know what really happens during a war, play this game. Don't play the latest Call of Duty and think that is what happens during a war, this game shows you exactly what happens... and the consequences of war. As for game play, it's pretty difficult, even on Normal difficulty, you can die in about 5 or 6 shots, especially late-game where the
    This game... this game...

If you want to know what really happens during a war, play this game.

As for game play, it's pretty difficult, even on Normal difficulty, you can die in about 5 or 6 shots, especially late-game where the enemies have extremely powerful weapons.
  71. Sep 29, 2013
    Spec Ops: the Line really is something else but it mimics the mainstream mechanics so well that many players mistook it for yet another CoD clone and a below-average one at that gameplay-wise.

My opinion is a little biased because I've never played any Call of Duty, Battlefield, Army of Two, or other war simulators so many rehashed mechanics were quite new to me and I couldn't complain about the graphics either. But the beef of the game is not it's technical side, it's the storyline, the atmosphere, and the narrative.

I can confirm that SO:tL really is quite engaging but often simply not fun, curiously enough. While you explore the beautifully designed environments, the constant slaughter overlaid by a perfectly-fitting yet weirdly presented (via in-game radio broadcasting) soundtrack leaves you with the feeling that something is very off. For a good portion of the game you battle different people but you don't really know who they are. Then you realize that you don't really know why you're fighting them. Everything goes so weird that you don't really know why you do what you do and start wondering if the choices you make are really there or the game just drags you along to prove a point. Even the loading tips start changing slowly but surely from game hints to... something else.

The ending is close to flawless. I was not only surprised but also relieved that there really was a good reason for all the weirdness. SO:tL represents an excellent achievement through the combination of its setting, storyline, voice acting, graphics, mechanics, and atmosphere. It will keep you guessing, taking away the fun from the gameplay while holding you until the end. Or at least that happened to me and I fully appreciated it.

Give this game a shot, it might change your perception of the whole genre more than its technically superior counterparts ever could.
  72. Sep 25, 2013
    THE LONG AND THE SHORT OF IT. If you want a 3rd person shooter with great gameplay, mechanics, and an online experience play Gears of War. This game is all about the story, while GoW has a great story line, it does not leave you floored and questioning life, mortality, and morality quite like Spec Ops does. if you call yourself a gamer of any genre, this is a MUST; if you're an PvP bro,THE LONG AND THE SHORT OF IT. If you want a 3rd person shooter with great gameplay, mechanics, and an online experience play Gears of War. This game is all about the story, while GoW has a great story line, it does not leave you floored and questioning life, mortality, and morality quite like Spec Ops does. if you call yourself a gamer of any genre, this is a MUST; if you're an PvP bro, leave it alone. Expand
  73. Oct 8, 2013
    suprb .........best gameplay best graphic best story line .........best third person shooter after long time.......max wepon choice .....and gameplay is some what gears of war..
  74. Oct 26, 2013
    Spec Ops: The Line takes you to a war zone in Dubai, where you take the place of Captain Martin Walker, who is accompanied by his Delta team: Lieutenant Alphonso Adams and Sargent John Lugo, team that goes to Dubai in order to bring Colonel John Konrad back to the U.S.

During this story, you'll face a lot of difficult decisions, which will put your morals in play, "should I kill a civilian over a colleague from the army?" "Should I take revenge?" and it is all up to you, and your choices will decide how each "level" of the game goes, not significantly, but it'll change depending on your decisions.

If you like to get completely into a masterly crafted storyline, you definitely must play this game.
  75. Nov 11, 2013
    10/10 for story,here your actions doesn't always result in saving the world, actually it may end up the other way .Very minimal characters but deep. Game-play is like many other shooters you have played.THE IMPORTANT thing is, don't judge it after first few minutes of game-play. The real proclaimed depth of story begins afterwards, it become darker and darker with progression.Play it for10/10 for story,here your actions doesn't always result in saving the world, actually it may end up the other way .Very minimal characters but deep. Game-play is like many other shooters you have played.THE IMPORTANT thing is, don't judge it after first few minutes of game-play. The real proclaimed depth of story begins afterwards, it become darker and darker with progression.Play it for the story( it questions your conscience many times).Highly recommended. Expand
  76. Nov 29, 2013
    This is a great game that many people I have talked to have loved after playing. Beware that this game has very sad moments and very emotional parts. The game has great graphics that really shows the environment around the player. This the type of game that integrates the third person with run and cover type game. Without cover you are at a disadvantage when in combat. The feature that iThis is a great game that many people I have talked to have loved after playing. Beware that this game has very sad moments and very emotional parts. The game has great graphics that really shows the environment around the player. This the type of game that integrates the third person with run and cover type game. Without cover you are at a disadvantage when in combat. The feature that i love about it is the menu, it changes the further along the game you are. The combat features are well executed.
    There are quite a lot of twists.
    I recommend this to anyone that loves shooter games.

This is AssassinReviews,
    Thanks for reading :D
  77. Nov 29, 2013
    If you only care about gameplay, this game isn't for you. Otherwise, it's incredible, it probably has the best story I have ever seen in a game, but the gameplay can be quite frustrating to get past, as I said before, if you care about story, you should definately play this game.
    P.S. The multi-player should not be considered a part of the game, it was added by the publishers and is to quote one of the devs: "A cancerous growth"
  78. Jun 25, 2014
    Although the game play is nothing special and could be considered very bad, that is not what this game is made for. This has to have one of the best, if not, the best story line in a long time. It shows what war is like.

It does not make you feel good about your choices, it shows how horrific war is, and what killing people is actually like. Not your typical stories like Call of Duty, where you kill terrorists or the "bad guys" for America.

For a game that makes you feel like human garbage, it's amazing. Again though, don't buy it if you want multiplayer.
  79. Mar 4, 2014
    8.2/10
    + Interesting Story
    + Amazing writing/script + Great Characters and Nice Character Development + Engaging story that makes you feel emotionally involved + You make decisions that affect outcomes + Great Twist at the end + Nice use of environments in play + Different locations throughout Dubai that all are interesting - Some "choices" seem like you actually have no control
    8.2/10
    + Interesting Story
    + Amazing writing/script
    + Great Characters and Nice Character Development
    + Engaging story that makes you feel emotionally involved
    + You make decisions that affect outcomes
    + Great Twist at the end
    + Nice use of environments in play
    + Different locations throughout Dubai that all are interesting

- Some "choices" seem like you actually have no control
    - Nothing new with gameplay (Generic Third Person Shooter Gameplay)
    - Some controls were frustrating (ex. X [Gamepad] was used to get to cover AND to run)

Overall Spec Ops: The Line was an interesting and engaging interactive cinematic experience. Spec Ops had the story of a big budget Hollywood action movie, but also had the familiar third person shooter in it. The story kept me on the edge of my seat and wanting to know what happens next. At some parts Specs Ops was just another grindfest, but then again what shooter today isn't? Spec Ops did not have a huge selection of guns, which did not hurt the game at all. Instead of looking for the coolest weapon, you were looking for weapons to help you clear the level so you could find out what happens next.

In conclusion Spec Ops: The Line is a great game that should not be missed out on due to the new emotional and mental take on war. The game will rank up there with my favorite games that would make me want to play again, to play the many different ending.

P.S. The graphics for this game was pretty okay, nothing fancy, but nothing terrible. I put this at the end of my review as to not get this confused with pluses and minuses. I would NEVER include graphics as a means of judging a game.
  80. May 2, 2014
    People said The Last of Us was THE game of its generation. People also said Bioshock Infinite was THE game of the generation. But the truth is Spec Ops the line is THE game you have to play. It is not perfect, the mechanics serve their purpose and thats it. However when i drop the controller because of what i had done in game, and tears of deep sadness appeared in my eyes i realized justPeople said The Last of Us was THE game of its generation. People also said Bioshock Infinite was THE game of the generation. But the truth is Spec Ops the line is THE game you have to play. It is not perfect, the mechanics serve their purpose and thats it. However when i drop the controller because of what i had done in game, and tears of deep sadness appeared in my eyes i realized just how special this game is. Spec Ops the Line is a game every single gamer should play. 10/10. Expand
  81. May 15, 2014
    Apocalypse Now on steroids in the desert. Fairly satisfying gun-combat action, with an above average story loosely based on Heart of Darkness. Not much in the gameplay department other than pushing through linear levels and wiping out waves of enemies. If you like your military shooters, have a shot.
  82. Sep 20, 2012
    Great atmosphere, incredible immersion (yet with a bit foreseeable final)... and terrible, unbalanced shooting mechanics. This game combines very realistic plot with unrealistic gameplay, where you just have to kill a swarm of enemies and proceed forward. Oh, with a lot of reloads from time to time, as the controls are disastrous. Kill, go forward, reload, kill, go forward, reload. *Sigh*Great atmosphere, incredible immersion (yet with a bit foreseeable final)... and terrible, unbalanced shooting mechanics. This game combines very realistic plot with unrealistic gameplay, where you just have to kill a swarm of enemies and proceed forward. Oh, with a lot of reloads from time to time, as the controls are disastrous. Kill, go forward, reload, kill, go forward, reload. *Sigh* If Battlefield 3 had a similar story, it would be the best game of all times. Unfortunately, Spec Ops: The Line is not Battlefield 3. It's just another shooter, albeit with a GREAT story. Yager! Improve the shooting mechanics and make a sequel! Expand
  83. Jul 7, 2014
    This is a game that once you've finished it the first time, you will not want to play again because you won't feel good about the killing anymore. So zero replay value due to the emotional effect it has on you. But, that first time through, damn what an experience. It's like a really good, horrifying war movie. If it was a movie you could watch it over and over because you are not the oneThis is a game that once you've finished it the first time, you will not want to play again because you won't feel good about the killing anymore. So zero replay value due to the emotional effect it has on you. But, that first time through, damn what an experience. It's like a really good, horrifying war movie. If it was a movie you could watch it over and over because you are not the one pulling the trigger. However in the game it is you and the game forces you to make your character do things you don't want him to do. You want to tell your character, "don't do this". Expand
  84. Jan 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Do not play this expecting anything great. Repetitive, tedious gameplay is a series of tightly enclosed shooting arenas strung together by a story that at least tries to be different from your average COD-BF-War-Campaign. That said, inconsistencies in how it is presented gave me a headache. Do my choices matter? Do I actually even have choices? The answer to both of those questions is unfortunately- No. Giving players the illusion of choice is frankly annoying, especially when the character I play is then berated for going through with what the writers forced him to do anyway. The main character/anti-hero seems to be completely incompetent at his job, and his lack of imagination is constantly demonstrated by his rationalizing at his supposed lack of options, which are rigidly enforced as we, the players, sit through as he bumbles his way through massacring what seems to be the majority of Dubai. I really have a hard time understanding why this is a story one would want to tell. There are plenty of situations where people are forced to make terrible choices, and war is an obvious way to highlight that. Unfortunately, the way that is presented here is both incredibly contrived, and frankly a bit silly. You're also left in the dark as to what exactly is happening here. What's going on with all of the sand? Why did the 33rd go crazy? Why is there no backup? Why is there suddenly tons of water at the end when we were told we'd destroyed the last of it in that long truck escape? Maybe I missed some explanation somewhere, but there's a bit too much mystery left here.

tl;dr If you like sand, this is your game.
  85. Sep 27, 2014
    after completing spec ops the line i have to say this is the best of games i've ever played easily one the grayest story's in video game history you play martin walker a rescue team man with 3 others you start by killing people and more people however then you play this game i can't talk about this game but its a third person shooter the story is amazing without spoilers its not easy toafter completing spec ops the line i have to say this is the best of games i've ever played easily one the grayest story's in video game history you play martin walker a rescue team man with 3 others you start by killing people and more people however then you play this game i can't talk about this game but its a third person shooter the story is amazing without spoilers its not easy to explain much this game is just amazing Expand
  86. May 3, 2013
    Outstanding story, presentation and voice-work that is unfortunately brought down by mediocre, generic third person gunplay with clunky controls all wrapped up with repetitive level design. Spec Ops: The Line could've been so much more but ultimately, it's a decent, satisfactory shooter that'll entertain if you're sick of FPS titles and crave something a little different.
  87. Aug 12, 2014
    Well kind of say anyone who rates this a good ripping yarn obviously doesn't read objects known as a books a lot. As a gamer I am in it for the gameplay first and everything else is a secondary motivation. Do you know the BS about this game is the only way you can avoid doing bad things is to actually stop playing the game. This game so wants to force the gamer into awful situations andWell kind of say anyone who rates this a good ripping yarn obviously doesn't read objects known as a books a lot. As a gamer I am in it for the gameplay first and everything else is a secondary motivation. Do you know the BS about this game is the only way you can avoid doing bad things is to actually stop playing the game. This game so wants to force the gamer into awful situations and then finger point at your character due to the NPC reactions after. With this game you know you're just a passenger heading for a train wreck whos going to get blamed for the whole thing, like as if I did the driving!? Expand
  88. Nov 14, 2014
    El juego es aburrido, injugable, en varias ocasiones quise desinstalarlo, pero normalmente si empiezo un juego lo termino. Algunos dicen que solo por el final merece la pena las 8-10 horas de tortura, que hagan una película si quieren, pero como juego es basura.

Si le doy un 3 es porque en el apartado gráfico tiene buenas texturas y la arena está muy conseguida (que menos en un juego de arena), además hay algo de interactividad con el terreno, pero cuando el juego quiere, no cuando tu lo decidas.

Por el lado contrario está la IA, insufrible, tus aliados se ponen en tu línea de tiro o te sacan de cobertura, y de vez en cuando se les ocurre ponerse en medio de campo abierto a que los fusilen.
    Los comandos de pelotón que tan bonitos quedan son simplemente un adorno, que no funciona, o que para funcionar hace que te maten a ti o a tus compañeros. Los silenciadores son un elemento estético del arma, ya que solo cuando el juego quiere (2 o 3 enemigos en todo el juego) te deja seguir un camino más sigiloso, que rápidamente se acaba.

En definitiva, el juego es un mata-mata lineal de recreativa al más puro estilo Time Crysis.
  89. Jun 2, 2014
    The biggest positive mindphuck I have experienced in all of my years gaming. This game early on does an excellent job of pretending to be just another shooter with the mediocre story then later, immediately grabs you and jumps into hyperspace to give you the darkest, most evil gripping story ever. War is hell--- and no amount of trying to do the right thing will redeem your burned soul.
  90. Dec 11, 2013
    Spec Ops is simultaneously a breath of fresh air into the 3rd person shooter genre and a exposition of what's wrong with the genre. The heavy, mental story is very appropriate and well delivered. There were a few times in the middle that I wasn't sure about what was going on, but once I got to the end, I felt satisfied by the characters and their performance. The gameplay was fairly solid,Spec Ops is simultaneously a breath of fresh air into the 3rd person shooter genre and a exposition of what's wrong with the genre. The heavy, mental story is very appropriate and well delivered. There were a few times in the middle that I wasn't sure about what was going on, but once I got to the end, I felt satisfied by the characters and their performance. The gameplay was fairly solid, although the AI was sometimes outright stupid and the controls weren't perfect. There are plenty of other reviews that can emphasize these points as well. I never played the multiplayer, so I can't comment on that. I would suggest that this game try to include more customization of characters so that the redundant levels are more fun to navigate. As it is, there's really no reason to replay the game at all, considering that the entire story is available on a Wiki. Expand
  91. Jan 15, 2013
    I'm changing my review because I pulled a rookie move. If you are like me and have an xbox controller plugged into the PC, the game controls & tutorial want to focus on that controller, not keyboard settings. I play only certain types of games with a controller. FPS is not one of them. Even if you tell it to not use a controller in the options, it still does the entire tutorial withI'm changing my review because I pulled a rookie move. If you are like me and have an xbox controller plugged into the PC, the game controls & tutorial want to focus on that controller, not keyboard settings. I play only certain types of games with a controller. FPS is not one of them. Even if you tell it to not use a controller in the options, it still does the entire tutorial with controller bindings. So it stinks that you have to remove the controller in order for the game to talk to you in PC speak (WASD)... so to speak. Expand
  92. Aug 3, 2014
    This game hit me like a ton of bricks. It should be called the anti-Call of Duty. You question the morality of what you're doing and the consequences of your actions. This isn't some laughable morality system like in Bio-Shock, this is a game that shocks and forces you to contemplate what you're doing.
    The gameplay is ok in a Gears of War kind of way and graphics are very console, but the story, Jesus, the story. I'm still thinking about it. Christ, the ending has got to be one of the best I've seen.

I can't give the story away but you can see touches of Apocalypse Now every now and then. There is no ham-fisted message about war being bad. There is no sentimental manipulation. It's all presented as matter of fact and you'll feel it in your stomach.

Recomended as a rare experience in gaming. There's no jingoism of flag waving here.
    No other game shaken me like this and the ending, man, the ending... I need a hug.
  93. Dec 25, 2012
    Spec Ops The Line is a perfect example of the 'opposite' of what games normally are today. Typically there would be great game play with an average story in the shooter market. Spec Ops boasts an incredible story which is immersive and... well that's all I can say without spoilers. Just know your going to get your moneys worth especially off steam when it comes to singleplayer. MultiplayerSpec Ops The Line is a perfect example of the 'opposite' of what games normally are today. Typically there would be great game play with an average story in the shooter market. Spec Ops boasts an incredible story which is immersive and... well that's all I can say without spoilers. Just know your going to get your moneys worth especially off steam when it comes to singleplayer. Multiplayer at the current date (26/12/2012 AUS) is dead but it is worth noting that Spec Ops has been selling quite well on steam as of late. Unfortunately I haven't gotten a fair go with it so I cant say much. Technically this game looks spectacular and is possible to run on lower end systems. Control wise Spec ops falters a little with clunky sprinting and cover mechanics both being things you will be doing a lot in the game. Shooting however does work well just remember to adjust your sensitivity. Overall I can't say I regret buying spec ops. The singleplayer while very short (4.2 hours for me) was worth the admission. In fact its so good I may play it again! If you can get it for less that $15AU then do it! I'm giving Spec Ops The Line a 7/10 Expand
  94. Jul 10, 2014
    Story:
    Story:
    Captain Walker, Lieutenant Adams, and Staff Sergeant Lugo, a 3-man delta squad, are sent to traverse a storm wall through to the outskirts of a mostly-buried Dubai on foot. Their goal: To find info on whether or not a missing infantry unit is still alive. The events that follow will soon take a much more darker tone than what I expected. I love this game's narrative for going beyond the average military shooter cliches and going for a more realistic and darker tone. There were moments where I was disgusted by what I saw, and that's a good thing. The acting and dialogue here is A+ worthy and it's interesting and engaging to see our 3-man squad adapt and evolve as they go through the events of the game. Sgt. Walker is a complex character because of how his mental health throughout the game interferes with his desire to complete his mission, and all of it comes to a close in what are a set of interesting endings to choose from, and none of them were predictable. All of them are interesting in their own way. The story here is a prime example of video games being capable of telling engrossing and fantastic stories at a level greater than or equal to movies and books. 10/10

Gameplay:
    Unfortunately, the gameplay can't live up to the near perfect story since the gameplay follows 3rd-person shooter cliches. I enjoyed the shooting, cover system, and vehicle sections of the game, but that's about it. The squad A.I. isn't really smart, and both Adams and Lugo would often struggle with hitting 1 enemy, even when I'd mark him for them. I also didn't like how scarce ammo was in this game for some guns, especially since it contradicts the game. And to make things worse, you can only carry 2 guns at a time. You would often run out of ammo in the middle of a firefight, and since the game has a habit of throwing 20+ enemies at you, you'll often have to resort to picking up their weapons and restocking from their dead bodies. I also think that on normal mode, you would die with too little shots required. One second you're fine, the next second your screen's grey. The level design is also pretty straightforward with no additional passageways to take in missions. As a whole, including deaths, I completed the game in about 5 hours, which is more on the short side. It's clear that this is one game where story is what drives the player to complete it, not gameplay. 7/10

Graphics:
    The graphics still look great on PC at max settings. Despite being in a desert, the game uses a variety of colors and mission settings to keep the game looking fresh. The bloom is great here (even if it gets overused in some sequences), the textures still look good to this day, and the character models look gritty and fit the game's dark tone well. The lip-syncing here is also perfect as even in gameplay, the character's lips move in-sync to their dialogue. My only gripe here is that some of the cut-scenes don't look all that great. But visually, the game still looks stunning. 8/10

Sound:
    The score here is filled with some great Rock tracks that play while in combat. The orchestral score also does a fine job here at building up emotion while playing. The gun sounds are good, and overall, the sound design here is great. 9/10

Multiplayer:
    The multiplayer is dead here on PC, and I'm willing to bet it's also dead on consoles. So don't buy this game for its multiplayer. And from what I've heard, the games's multiplayer sucks.

Verdict:
    Spec Ops: The Line features probably one of the best stories I've ever seen from not only military shooters, but in my whole gaming career. If only the gameplay could live up to the story though. The visuals and sound are both great, and the multiplayer is dead. I'll say for its $30 cost, it's well worth the purchase if you don't mind having to only play the single player portion.

Rating: 9/10
  95. Oct 10, 2013
    A brilliant story and a visual treat, only to be hampered by linear not very great gallery shooting riddled with clunky mechanics such as cover system and problematic AI. Could be a greater experience if it was slightly more diverse and flexible and smoother overall features. None the less a decent experience.
  96. Oct 9, 2014
    A game every gamer should play. Average gameplay with amazing story and characters.

After it was over I sat in front of my PC and just repeated "the horror"
  97. May 6, 2013
    Incredible game, I had heard awful things before buying on steam for $8, but this game has blown me away. The story locked me in from the very beginning. Stories really cannot be more under rated now-a-days as most gameplay seems to be discarded for graphics and dlc
  98. Aug 18, 2014
    Spec Ops: The line begins with a breath of fresh air, although its apparent that the boring lackluster game play and technological issue are evident after the first battle cry. Yes it does effect the game. Especially the cover system. Just shocking at times and will lead you to frustration. This does take you away from the interesting story, which is the driving force of the game. AlthoughSpec Ops: The line begins with a breath of fresh air, although its apparent that the boring lackluster game play and technological issue are evident after the first battle cry. Yes it does effect the game. Especially the cover system. Just shocking at times and will lead you to frustration. This does take you away from the interesting story, which is the driving force of the game. Although its you'r average first person shooter at times the atmosphere is on point. Character and dialogue are extremely satisfying and the redeeming conclusion will make the frustrating times some what fade. All in all the game becomes tiresome and more like a chore, however if you find the game on sale go for it! Expand
  99. Jul 29, 2014
    This is one of the best story driven games I have ever played. It makes Call of Duty and Battlefield look as deep as Sunday morning Marmaduke cartoon writing compared to All quite on the Western Front. This is the story of Martin Walker and his descent into the reality of war when he and his Delta team go into Dubai.

This is a story told in a cover based modern shooter game, not a

This is a story told in a cover based modern shooter game, not a modern shooter game with a story to pass the time when the internet is out and you can't get in a quick match.

Buy this game. Play this game. Read all quite on the Western front.
  100. Dec 2, 2014
    The story is awesome, and well structured. It is probably the main attraction of the game. The gameplay is alright, there is not really anything new or ground breaking about it. Just plain and simple cover and shoot (it is however very satisfying to get a headshot and see your enemies' heads explode in slow motion.) The graphics as well as the level design is ok, but nothing breath taking.The story is awesome, and well structured. It is probably the main attraction of the game. The gameplay is alright, there is not really anything new or ground breaking about it. Just plain and simple cover and shoot (it is however very satisfying to get a headshot and see your enemies' heads explode in slow motion.) The graphics as well as the level design is ok, but nothing breath taking. It does not take a long time to finish the game, it can be done in 5-6 hours on the hardest difficulty available at your first playthrough. Overall a good game, which is easy to enjoy and a good experience. I can recommend it for anyone interested in 3rd person shooters and a good story. Expand
  101. Dec 5, 2012

1. Oct 13, 2012
    Spec Ops: The Line tries new and interesting ground on storytelling, but falls short on the action department. Still, it's worth playing through for the atmosphere and few different endings alone. [Aug 2012]
  2. Aug 31, 2012
    Were it not for some technical issues and console-related shortcomings (gamepad controls and no anti-aliasing), Spec Ops: The Line would be one of the best games for 2012. But, things being as they are, it remains merely a diamond in the rough, destined for wicked crazy status within the following years. Definitely superior to the related series of Kane & Lynch, it proves that, with a steady vision and soul, a genre so clichéd like military shooters, can not only surprise us pleasantly, but totally overwhelm us. [August 2012]
    Expectations were greater than game could have achieved. Yet the new Spec Ops game is a good excuse to stay home and play. [Issue#220]