8.2

1. May 2, 2014
    People said The Last of Us was THE game of its generation. People also said Bioshock Infinite was THE game of the generation. But the truth is Spec Ops the line is THE game you have to play. It is not perfect, the mechanics serve their purpose and thats it. However when i drop the controller because of what i had done in game, and tears of deep sadness appeared in my eyes i realized just how special this game is. Spec Ops the Line is a game every single gamer should play. 10/10. Expand
  2. Sep 27, 2014
    after completing spec ops the line i have to say this is the best of games i've ever played easily one the grayest story's in video game history you play martin walker a rescue team man with 3 others you start by killing people and more people however then you play this game i can't talk about this game but its a third person shooter the story is amazing without spoilers its not easy to explain much this game is just amazing Expand
  3. Jun 2, 2014
    The biggest positive mindphuck I have experienced in all of my years gaming. This game early on does an excellent job of pretending to be just another shooter with the mediocre story then later, immediately grabs you and jumps into hyperspace to give you the darkest, most evil gripping story ever. War is hell--- and no amount of trying to do the right thing will redeem your burned soul.
  4. Aug 3, 2014
    This game hit me like a ton of bricks. It should be called the anti-Call of Duty. You question the morality of what you're doing and the consequences of your actions. This isn't some laughable morality system like in Bio-Shock, this is a game that shocks and forces you to contemplate what you're doing.
    The gameplay is ok in a Gears of War kind of way and graphics are very console, but the
    story, Jesus, the story. I'm still thinking about it. Christ, the ending has got to be one of the best I've seen.

I can't give the story away but you can see touches of Apocalypse Now every now and then. There is no ham-fisted message about war being bad. There is no sentimental manipulation. It's all presented as matter of fact and you'll feel it in your stomach.

Recomended as a rare experience in gaming. There's no jingoism of flag waving here.
    No other game shaken me like this and the ending, man, the ending... I need a hug.
  5. Jul 10, 2014
    Story:
    Captain Walker, Lieutenant Adams, and Staff Sergeant Lugo, a 3-man delta squad, are sent to traverse a storm wall through to the outskirts of a mostly-buried Dubai on foot. Their goal: To find info on whether or not a missing infantry unit is still alive. The events that follow will soon take a much more darker tone than what I expected. I love this game's narrative for going
    beyond the average military shooter cliches and going for a more realistic and darker tone. There were moments where I was disgusted by what I saw, and that's a good thing. The acting and dialogue here is A+ worthy and it's interesting and engaging to see our 3-man squad adapt and evolve as they go through the events of the game. Sgt. Walker is a complex character because of how his mental health throughout the game interferes with his desire to complete his mission, and all of it comes to a close in what are a set of interesting endings to choose from, and none of them were predictable. All of them are interesting in their own way. The story here is a prime example of video games being capable of telling engrossing and fantastic stories at a level greater than or equal to movies and books. 10/10

Gameplay:
    Unfortunately, the gameplay can't live up to the near perfect story since the gameplay follows 3rd-person shooter cliches. I enjoyed the shooting, cover system, and vehicle sections of the game, but that's about it. The squad A.I. isn't really smart, and both Adams and Lugo would often struggle with hitting 1 enemy, even when I'd mark him for them. I also didn't like how scarce ammo was in this game for some guns, especially since it contradicts the game. And to make things worse, you can only carry 2 guns at a time. You would often run out of ammo in the middle of a firefight, and since the game has a habit of throwing 20+ enemies at you, you'll often have to resort to picking up their weapons and restocking from their dead bodies. I also think that on normal mode, you would die with too little shots required. One second you're fine, the next second your screen's grey. The level design is also pretty straightforward with no additional passageways to take in missions. As a whole, including deaths, I completed the game in about 5 hours, which is more on the short side. It's clear that this is one game where story is what drives the player to complete it, not gameplay. 7/10

Graphics:
    The graphics still look great on PC at max settings. Despite being in a desert, the game uses a variety of colors and mission settings to keep the game looking fresh. The bloom is great here (even if it gets overused in some sequences), the textures still look good to this day, and the character models look gritty and fit the game's dark tone well. The lip-syncing here is also perfect as even in gameplay, the character's lips move in-sync to their dialogue. My only gripe here is that some of the cut-scenes don't look all that great. But visually, the game still looks stunning. 8/10

Sound:
    The score here is filled with some great Rock tracks that play while in combat. The orchestral score also does a fine job here at building up emotion while playing. The gun sounds are good, and overall, the sound design here is great. 9/10

Multiplayer:
    The multiplayer is dead here on PC, and I'm willing to bet it's also dead on consoles. So don't buy this game for its multiplayer. And from what I've heard, the games's multiplayer sucks.

Verdict:
    Spec Ops: The Line features probably one of the best stories I've ever seen from not only military shooters, but in my whole gaming career. If only the gameplay could live up to the story though. The visuals and sound are both great, and the multiplayer is dead. I'll say for its $30 cost, it's well worth the purchase if you don't mind having to only play the single player portion.

Rating: 9/10
  6. Oct 9, 2014
    A game every gamer should play. Average gameplay with amazing story and characters.

After it was over I sat in front of my PC and just repeated "the horror"
  7. Jul 29, 2014
    This is one of the best story driven games I have ever played. It makes Call of Duty and Battlefield look as deep as Sunday morning Marmaduke cartoon writing compared to All quite on the Western Front. This is the story of Martin Walker and his descent into the reality of war when he and his Delta team go into Dubai.

This is a story told in a cover based modern shooter game, not a
    modern shooter game with a story to pass the time when the internet is out and you can't get in a quick match.

Buy this game. Play this game. Read all quite on the Western front.
  8. Jul 22, 2014
    A 9/10 because of the gameplay, which is pretty standard. But don't play it because of the gameplay, play it for the story, which is downright amazing, I won't spoil anything, but just take me by my word. If you play it on normal difficulty, it should only take you about 5-6 hours to beat, but you'll probably play it again just to understand the story better.
  9. Aug 25, 2014
    6. Finishes right where it should without becoming a drag

1. Very buggy and lots of technical issues
    2. The combat is mediocre at best
  10. Jun 20, 2014
    -Mass Murder Refrain -Post Modern art -Deconstruction -Remains in disarray -Failed to live on in the next generation of consoles... -Character Over Plot ---Modernity once again rules over last generation, with it seeming to seep into this generation. Probably the only true postmodern art piece to come out of gaming since Metal Gear Solid 2; And like that game, it failed to reach out to it's target audience. Expand
  11. Dec 21, 2013
    This game was a pleasant surprise. The story, gameplay, character development, graphics, and decision making are great. Another hit from 2K. Highly recommend.
  12. Dec 26, 2013
    Just finished playing this game. I must say, it is one of the best games I have ever played. Graphics wise, can't complain. I have seen better as well as worse.

The storyline is just, it touching. Having family members that have gone through PTSD, and having played this game after I was done with it gave it the high praise for "hitting home" to the player. With some scenes being really
    graphic, tied in with the intense firefights, makes this game, in my books, one of the best games of the year.

The cover mechanics are a little wonky, and takes some getting used to but once you have been broken in, they will come second hand to you.

Spec Ops: The Line is a game I would definitely recommend to my friends/family.
  13. Dec 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was a great experience, the story is great, i am not a hardcore gamer but i can say it is a good game.
    Spoilers: all the 4 endings are good, my first ending was to go home after epilogue, and the next was freedom to do anything. these were awesome.
  14. Jan 24, 2014
    Story: 10 (or more)
    Gameplay: 9,5
    Graphics: 9,5.

It's a general FPS gameplay, but the story it is the best that I've seen. Deserves a higher score.
  15. Feb 4, 2014
    Пожалуй самый лучший шутер в который я играл. Прошёл игру за 7 часов с 2 подходов.

+ Графика
    + Геймплей
    + СЮЖЕТ!
    + Дубай
    + Нет минусов за который можно зацепится

Советую всем поиграть, не пожалеете
    Ставлю: 10/10
  16. Aug 12, 2014
    Best game ever, very addicting. my favorite mission is the fist one of chapter six. you should get it bout it on sale for 5.99, and there are no bugs.
  17. Apr 12, 2014
    nice story with ultimate graphics...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  18. Sep 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The end of this game blowed up my mind, the story -- the most bright example, that you should't justify yourself. Very good story, very good setting, but not so good gameplay. But there is not any rivals at military shooter. That's why 10/10. Expand
  19. May 13, 2014
    Game is awesome. Playing the game, soon or later you are asking yourself: Is it all necessary? IMO One of the best shooter I've ever played. Very good game
  20. Sep 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't see the reason why this game didn't get a rate higher than 80, for me at least is one of the most enjoyable games that I ever played. There's a lot of enemies, the control (over the PC, not console) is pretty good, and the graphics are not the top of the line, but are really good. The choices within the game are fun, and sometimes you don't even realize that you did a choice before your teammates say something like "wow, why did you kill him?".

It's really worthy playing.
  21. Jun 8, 2014
    This game has the fell of Apocalypse Now when you go into it. similar plot and plot design, it is basically Apocalypse Now in Dubai in a modern day setting without a man how thinks he's a god in it. This game's plot is great, with decent characters. The multiplayer is bland and dull, as is the game's asking price on Steam. $30 for a good game that only lasts for about 5 hours is not worth it to me. Wait like I did until a sale when it's at a reasonable price, then you should defiantly not hesitate in purchasing it. Collapse
  22. Aug 7, 2014
    Story:
    almost as amazing as The Last Of Us

Gameplay:
    Gunfire: takes a long while getting used to
    Covor: averadge at best

Graphics: fine

overall it is one of the best games ive ever played. it proudly stands at the top of the War games along side Modern Warfare 2
  23. Jul 17, 2014
    Firstly, ignore the title. This is not the 'Merica Eff Yeah game that you might imagine it to be. It is not a simplistic machismo party. This is the war shooter for people who hate war shooters... me, really.

This is exactly the kind of game that many PC fundamentalists hate for being "consolised". It's built for the XBox gamepad, and I strongly recommend you play it that way. The
    graphics are nice enough, but they're not refined for PC at all; with a GTX770 4GB, I'm still seeing stripy shadows across characters' skin.

It's a shame to crucify this game over technical points though. I'm scoring it so highly because it's a rare war shooter that has a truly interesting story. Of course, every army game out there tries to inject sophistication into its story, usually by adding betrayal. This game does something different that genuinely stands up as more than just "a good story for a game". It begins with the "Heart of Darkness" stylings of Apocalypse Now, and then runs off with them in a different direction. If you can overlook the fact that you're palpably playing a console game via your PC, give it a try.
  24. Aug 4, 2014
    I really see all the great in the game,the gameplay,the story the weapons everything is amazing!
    Highly recommended and I want to say that this story can relly have shocking ending if you play it right!
  25. Sep 8, 2014
    Spec Ops The Line has a history fantastic.the history of this game and more impressive than the TLOUS.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  26. Jun 8, 2014

1. Oct 13, 2012
    Spec Ops: The Line tries new and interesting ground on storytelling, but falls short on the action department. Still, it's worth playing through for the atmosphere and few different endings alone. [Aug 2012]
  2. Aug 31, 2012
    Were it not for some technical issues and console-related shortcomings (gamepad controls and no anti-aliasing), Spec Ops: The Line would be one of the best games for 2012. But, things being as they are, it remains merely a diamond in the rough, destined for wicked crazy status within the following years. Definitely superior to the related series of Kane & Lynch, it proves that, with a steady vision and soul, a genre so clichéd like military shooters, can not only surprise us pleasantly, but totally overwhelm us. [August 2012]
    Expectations were greater than game could have achieved. Yet the new Spec Ops game is a good excuse to stay home and play. [Issue#220]