8.2

1. May 20, 2018
    I am able to say it is one of the shooters that i enjoy playing the campaing more than the multiplayer.
  2. May 14, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The end of this game blew up my mind, the story is the most bright example that you shouldn't justify yourself. A very good story, exotic setting, but not so good gameplay. Anyway, the story is so original for such a mass genre as a shooter that I will give it a fair 10. Expand
  3. May 11, 2018
    Если пережить коробочное управление и не терять нити повествования, можно понять - это восхитительный шутер с глубочайшим сюжетом.
    Война меняет людей, но еще сильнее меняет людей желания остаться на ней не убийцей, а героем.
    Поиграете поймете, о чем я говорю..
    Поиграете поймете, о чем я говорю..
  4. May 2, 2018
    Very few games have achieved the level of mind **** that Spec Ops: The Line has.

From a gameplay perspective, it's a very basic cover based 3rd-person shooter. The gameplay is purposely boring, almost even a chore at times, but it's all to convey the fantastic story and themes. Spec Ops wants you to think about why you enjoy killing virtual people, it wants you to consider if your actions are forced by the gameplay or out of your own choice. It does these things better than any other game I've seen.

Length wise: it is pretty short. Playing on the normal difficulty I was able to beat it in 4 hours. Though it has some good replay value, with 4 different endings and plenty of choice driven sections. Additionally there are a small amount of collectibles that are worth searching for that add to the extremely interesting world Spec Ops has built.

I would highly recommend picking this game up if you're even the slightest bit interested. A must buy if it's on sale. You are doing yourself a disservice by not playing this game.
  5. Apr 28, 2018
    When i was playing this game, it was just a normal game. But I kept observing the things written on the walls, the images and I knew there was something wrong there, but I did not know what it was. The gameplay is normal, is a good shooter. Graphics is good too, but the story... You MUST to play by the story, my friends.
  6. Mar 19, 2018
    Фактически игровая версия кинофильма Апокалипсис сегодня, Копполы. Сюжет на высоте, стрельба стандартная. Декорации отличные.
  7. Feb 25, 2018
    This game is masterpiece. Absolutely one of the best stories that PC game have ever offered. It's so immersive, it's so damn good. Yes, there is some downsides - one of them is the gameplay, which personally for me isn't a problem actually, but for some people are, cause it's call of duty-ish (only in third person) gameplay, where your group of three people goes into the warzone, stands upThis game is masterpiece. Absolutely one of the best stories that PC game have ever offered. It's so immersive, it's so damn good. Yes, there is some downsides - one of them is the gameplay, which personally for me isn't a problem actually, but for some people are, cause it's call of duty-ish (only in third person) gameplay, where your group of three people goes into the warzone, stands up against the whole army and kills all of 'em, but I find it pretty fun and quite challenging on fubar difficulty. Other minus is that there is no Anti-aliasing option in-game, but that's not a big problem too cause it can be solved quickly with Nvidia Inspector. In conclusion, this product is definitely worth buying, even in 2018, only for the storyline itself, because I'm telling you, the plot twist in this game is outstanding. One of the best PC games I have ever played. Expand
  8. Feb 15, 2018
    To kill for yourself is murder. To kill for your government is heroic. To kill for entertainment is harmless.
  9. Feb 5, 2018
    It's been nearly six entire years since the release of this game, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with it, I don't blame myself or anyone for looking past this game, this game came out when there was a flood of modern shooters with generic story lines.

Something that keeps Spec Ops fresh is the twists and turns the main character goes through, and the questions he's asking himself and you inevitably will be asking yourself nearing the twelfth chapter.

The story is told through the perspective of a captain leading his squad of three on a rescue mission that quickly gets thrown off course and sets the mood for the rest of the game. The banter between the three characters is never really repetitive or annoying, but it gets to the point where you'd just like them to not have to comment on everything.

The weapon selection isn't the greatest but I never found myself deviating far from the M4, as it was the most reliable (not that it would have really mattered), but if you do find yourself getting tired of using the same gun over and over, there is definitely a replacement just around the next corner, or checkpoint.

The game play while not the best does a very stand up job keeping you satisfied with every click of the mouse, and every stroke of the keys (the key mapping was kind of terrible), I never once had trouble with the camera looking where I didn't want it, or my character going a way I didn't intend for him to go.

while this game is short coming in with a whopping fifteen chapters, each being about twenty to forty minutes in length, this game is perfect for the price you'll find on steam during one of the many sales.
  10. ave
    Feb 3, 2018
    "You brought this on yourself" - Truth is, I wouldn't have played Spec Ops: The Line if I hadn't heard about what makes it unique in the shooter realm.

In a nutshell, it's a third-person shooter set in Dubaï that starts as your everday-shooter... and ends up being a political, social and cultural commentary on war, heroism and videogames - and this last one is the strongest achievement of Spec Ops: The Line.

Both the gameplay and the story are in service of the theme of the game, obviously borrowed from Hearts of Darkness.

Aside of the super-obvious sequences that puts the theme "in your face", I invite you to appreciate the more subtle work on the verticality of level design, the writing of the lines, and also the evolution of certains ingame mechanics.

Can't really say more without spoiling too much of it.
  11. Feb 2, 2018
    I had to stop gaming for about a week after finishing Spec Ops The Line, just to think about what I had accomplished.
  12. Jan 3, 2018
    Keyif = 7
    Atmosfer = 8
    Süre = 7
  13. Dec 6, 2017
    Great game. I liked it a lot when i played some years ago, and re-discovering it now in 4K.

This game in 4K as absolutely amazing, is like having a new game for sure.
  14. Oct 29, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Review salvaje en español ha aparecido *Emoji riendo* *Emoji Riendo*, bueno su historia es exelente con personajes bien llevados con un desarrollo bueno y no forzado. con las muertes de Lugo y Adams se nota esto por que duelen encerio. Quisas se vuelva un poco repetitiva esa secuencia de matar y ver la destruccion sin sentido causada, Los antagonistas (Kornad y Walker) cumplen muy bien su rol (Tanto Kornad segun la "ilusion") y Walker en la realidad Expand
  15. Apr 10, 2017
    The overall story arch and decisions this game forces you to make are brilliant. This is a great experience and it keeps you going through out. Couple of drawbacks, the game on PC is a fairly straight console port and that causes a few issues with controls and graphics. Gameplay is generic enough, enjoyable at times but nothing special. Still well worth it for the story.
  16. Dec 7, 2016
    I just had to say that the depth in strory telling of this game is amazing. The reveals are the best i have seen even if the game play is so so. It is worth a quick play through just for the experiance as a whole. Watch a youtube video about the hidden meaning and it will blow your mind away!!! JUST DO IT!!!!!!
  17. Oct 27, 2016
    Not the most refined 3rd person shooter, but it works. Have to mention the insane difficulty spikes that occur, on FUBAR difficulty setting game is just impossible to play when youre being thrown at with hordes of enemies in set piece moments, its pretty much means insta death. When it comes to using cover game depending on cover type wont allow you to stay long in it since some of it getsNot the most refined 3rd person shooter, but it works. Have to mention the insane difficulty spikes that occur, on FUBAR difficulty setting game is just impossible to play when youre being thrown at with hordes of enemies in set piece moments, its pretty much means insta death. When it comes to using cover game depending on cover type wont allow you to stay long in it since some of it gets destroyed or enemy rushes you, so you cant be lazy and do all the work from behind cover. Your AI squad mates are competent enough to stay in cover and take out enemies when under orders, but can struggle at times. Jaeger makes really good use of the UE3 and has made a very good looking and running game on the PC.

Where this game really pulls ahead of other military shooters is its mature and pretty unique to the genre story. Deeper you go the more mind bending it gets with plot twists and turns. Saying more about it would spoil it.

Easily can reccomend this for people who love a good story in a shooter over fancy gameplay mechanics.
  18. Oct 16, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Spec Ops: The Line is a meta-critic (wow that was not a pun) of modern military shooters. It begins exactly like a generic war on terror era third person shooter with americans as heroes rescuing. Then after 1 hour things get a little weird (and much more interesting than any game of this style), as the game narrative, in a terrific turn, starts to critize both senseless war and senseless killing modern video games.

The icing on the cake is the Apocalypse Now-inspired storyline and the superb Dubai dystopian art style. The characters, the voice acting, the narrative are all among the smartest and the best in recent times, making Spec Ops: The Line (a reboot of an PS1 tactical game) even with its 4h and modest gameplay, an obligation to anyone who believes videogames can be important pieces of culture, critcizing not only society but its own medium
  19. Aug 27, 2016
    Interesting story, but the insanity part seems a bit far stretched. Anyway, makes you think a lot. Very emerging presentation. Gameplay is good enough for a military shooter and feels very plausible, as far as that can go in a game. It's a bit short, < 10 hours on normal / hard. A few nice visuals, but a lot of sand.
  20. Jul 20, 2016
    Spec Ops: The Line starts out with what feels like any other shooter. Like a scene right out of Aladdin. Except the magic carpet is a helicopter, the singing is machine gun fire, and the whole new world is shooting other helicopters. What really threw me off is that your squad mates are actually interesting. They face some moral dilemmas while you're doing your typical video game shooterSpec Ops: The Line starts out with what feels like any other shooter. Like a scene right out of Aladdin. Except the magic carpet is a helicopter, the singing is machine gun fire, and the whole new world is shooting other helicopters. What really threw me off is that your squad mates are actually interesting. They face some moral dilemmas while you're doing your typical video game shooter thing but what really threw me off is that the comic relief actually made me chuckle a few times. Expand
  21. Jan 18, 2016
    The story I got wasn't at all what I expected. This game deserves an 8 for no other reason than trying their hardest to give a great single player campaign experience.... something far too rare in FPS games. My only regret is waiting so long to play it, but a Steam sale finally convinced me.
  22. Dec 6, 2015
    amazing story
    great shooter
    tremendous gameplay
    cinematic experience
    yager please develop more games
    eagerly waiting for dreadnought
  23. Dec 1, 2015
    awesome gameplay and story but to short . .
  24. Nov 12, 2015
    omg ok when i started this game i thought the gameplay is ass how could it be any good but without trying to give to much away gameplay almost doesn't matter for this title and when it does you are rewarded heavily for thinking outside the box and ignoring what your told to do the story of this game is awesome and anyone who complains this game sucked because C.O.D. plays or looks betteromg ok when i started this game i thought the gameplay is ass how could it be any good but without trying to give to much away gameplay almost doesn't matter for this title and when it does you are rewarded heavily for thinking outside the box and ignoring what your told to do the story of this game is awesome and anyone who complains this game sucked because C.O.D. plays or looks better just doesn't get the point and should never have played it in the first place. One of my all time favorite games, blew me out of the water I don't have enough good to say about it 20 out of 10 Expand
  25. Nov 11, 2015
    I think this is the best game I've ever played. It's third person shooter with perfect story that isn't only in back of the game. After you finish this game your thinking about shooters will change. You can play it just once and still you'll remember this game for long years. Hell you should go and buy this game right now.
  26. Nov 10, 2015
    Spec ops the line has great story.sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo greattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
  27. Nov 9, 2015
    A game you will love or hate, absolutely. As a military shooter, it's a generic but functional game with a useless tacked-on multiplayer mode that the developers have openly disowned. As a story-based singleplayer experience, it's notable for taking what starts as the most generic story imaginable and turning it into a meta-narrative that questions the the nature of video games while theA game you will love or hate, absolutely. As a military shooter, it's a generic but functional game with a useless tacked-on multiplayer mode that the developers have openly disowned. As a story-based singleplayer experience, it's notable for taking what starts as the most generic story imaginable and turning it into a meta-narrative that questions the the nature of video games while the protagonist questions his own heroism. While not perfect in its storytelling, it tries something that flies in the face of current trends and is essentially a giant middle-finger to Call of Duty and its imitators. Either you'll be on board with the idea and enjoy its ambiguous storyline, or you'll find it a pretentious attempt at an art game built on the back of a mediocre shooter. If you're curious, it's worth the time and money simply because it exists. Expand
  28. Nov 7, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Best shooter - EVER!

The real, true story. The best story that has ever been in the same genre, but unfortunately not valued at its true worth by some stupid players and no less stupid journalists - pseudo-experts. Yes in Spec Ops The Line is no pile falling helicopters, explosions, super doggies and other garbage. Yes in The Line is not a good multiplayer, such as in Battlefield, but it is not needed. The main advantage of Spec Ops The Line - strong story, such powerful singleplayer never be in **** like CoD or in the same Battlefield.

In The Line shows the wrong side of the war - a horrible, bloody, сrazy even for trained to kill soldiers. The main character of The Line - Martin Walker, commander of Delta Force is not some fairytale type as Terminator Captain Price that can kill thousands of people, and then smoke a cigar - Walker - a living person who has feelings and understanding what he was doing. His team - First Lieutenant Adams and Sergeant Lugo also lively, believable characters. To tell the whole story does not make sense, in the Spec Ops The Line you must be played, and, if after played in singleplayer and will say that this is nonsense, accept the fact that you just a very stupid man.

Endings of the game. Only 3 out of 4 endings are real. It:

№1: Walker commits suicide.

Walker morally broken after of all of the experiences and can not forgive himself for what he had done.

№3: Walker, entered into a gunfight with a rescue squad and dies.

Walker continues a split personality, and he is not conscious of his actions - for him he's still on the battlefield, surrounded by enemies.

№4: Walker, kills the entire rescue squad and remains in Dubai.

There is a complete brain fog of Walker - for him the battlefield becoming home. He ceases to perceive murder as something special.

Ending №2 ( impossible ): Walker surrendered a rescue group that takes away his home.

In real life, after such stress and sufferings, and obviously brain fog, a return to normal life is impossible. There is a line beyond which people like them no turning back. For Walker, this LINE occurred.

This wonderful game like Spec Ops The Line, could to estimate only people who think and are able and properly analyze. And judging by the sales of the game, such people are very few. The majority of the two-legged members of the genus of human, love to be the heroes in every kind of **** as the CoD. "To save the world" pinching cherished key "Press X To Save Whole World", who can not think, because - nothing to think, and so choosing the games that create an illusion of sense of its grandeur. And when the game shows to the player: "Look dude - what you've done. It's not cool. The conscience does not torment?", The clever person will understand that the war - it's not fun, it blood, death and madness. A foolish man - would deny everything, while farting in anger, accusing the devs that they made "not cool" game. Unfortunately stupid gamers more than smart players and publishers focused on the herd. Therefore Take2 and personally Mr Feder and Zelnick, decided to kill a series of Spec Ops. Very silly gentlemen publishers, in addition to entertainment such as GTA, needs and produce and serious projects.

In conclusion I would like to thank the team of Yager Development for the excellent and smart game. It would be nice, over time, if you company will be able to publish the games themselves and are independent of idiotic publishers. Success! And more games like Spec Ops The Line.
  29. Sep 10, 2015
    Finishing the campaign in Spec Ops: The Line, was something that I wanted to do because the game always made me want to come back for more, to find out what happens next in the story. However, as you progress, the plot becomes darker and darker. Set backs and utter tragedies experienced by your character increase in both frequency and gravity as the story unwinds.

I kept thinking that

I kept thinking that there would be some sort of victory at the conclusion of the campaign -- alas, no. Almost everyone is dead, and your character is torn to **** mentally. The game does a good job of demonstrating a couple of eternal truths: (1) war is utterly horrible, and (2) "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Despite some of the depressing plot elements, I did very much enjoy playing this game. 9/10.
  30. Sep 10, 2015
    This game has an outstanding story! Yes, some of it could be a little quirky....but it is still one of the best fps stories I've ever encountered. Also, the game has excellent character progression. The gun gameplay, is simple cover and shoot... Nothing special. The level design, visuals, and AI are mediocre to downright awful. Conclusion: get it for the story, but don't buy it for full…
  31. Sep 5, 2015
    I had heard about this game and tried not to have it spoiled for me. Once I finally sat down and started playing it I couldn't stop. The story drove me and the action kept it fun and fast paced. The story is much deeper than a lot of military shooters and it really left me thinking, something few games do once they are completed.
  32. HMG
    Jul 8, 2015
    When I look back at my experience with Spec ops: The Line it's feels like looking back at times I had with a very close friend. That may seem quite silly to you but just bare with me. The thing that set's Spec ops apart from other games is it's story, it's so immersive that I actually finished the game in one go.

But let's talk about the bad's first so I can sing it's praise at the end.

But let's talk about the bad's first so I can sing it's praise at the end. The main thing the game get's criticised for is it's gameplay and it's number of cutscenes. The gameplay can feel it bit clumsy and rough around the edges. It's definetly not your polished third person gears of war experience that we've all come to expect from these type of games.
    Then second the cutscenes, some people would argue the their are just to much of them, I'm not one of them. I feel like their just their to guide us through the story and never ones felt annoyed by them, but that's opinion I guess.

Now the things I did like. First the graphics are okay, but together with some very well designed physics effects you never ones doubt that your in a desert. Then the experience, you do feel like you're fighting a war, and throughout the game you will grow to resent yourself as much or even more then your enemies. Combat is fun but with some occasionally enemies just rushing your position or running straight through the open, but non of that could drag me out of the fantastic experience I had with the game.
    And then thing the ties it all together the story. the story is more compelling and immersive then any other that I've encountered before. It drags you through the game just unable to stop playing until you reach it's climax that will **** with your mind in multiple ways.

So the main question, should you buy this game? Absolutely!!! Unless your one of those guys who only crave multiplayer and graphics then their is nothing for you here. But if you're like me, on who demands but story, atmosphere and gameplay, this is the game that will come closer then any other in recent years.

For me this game gets a 8 out of 10, it has it's problems and flaws but non of them where able to stop me from enjoying myself with the game.
    But then again who am I? Go out and form an opinion of yourself :)
  33. Jun 23, 2015
    Excellent game... the story line is amazing. this game probably has the story than any other FPS game. and the graphics is good too.. I think only people who wont enjoy this game are 8-10 years old kids who play COD or BF all day...
  34. Jun 21, 2015
    It is one of the best shooters with exceptional story and a superb feeling .
  35. May 17, 2015
    Один из лучших сюжетов в игровой индустрии. Подражание "Апокалипсис Сегодня" и "Сердце Тьмы", отличная концовка, отличный сеттинг (Дубаи после катастрофы), музыкальная составляющая без лишних слов прекрасна.
  36. May 16, 2015
    Very interesting game. Not your ordinary FPS game, surely no evil vs good kinda game. More like hard decisions to make "ish" kinda FPS. But it's good, oh it's good. Don't believe on those negative reviews. They are from teenagers who believed they would be playing Medal of Honor or such. This is a FPS for adults. No easy choice. Step aside, kiddos.
  37. Mar 23, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Perhaps the best modern military shooter ever made. The character development is very well done, the story is excellent and it is one of the more atmospheric games I have played. The interesting part about the game is that it starts of kinda generic then slowly as you descend deeper into the game it becomes something completely different and memorable. Get this game. Expand
  38. Mar 20, 2015
    spec ops the line. is without a doubt. the MOST CRIMINALLY UNDERRATED GEM IN GAMING. you would never understand until you play. it is on 6$ dollars on steam. go get it

Pros the graphics are amazing. the visuals are awesome the story for now is great. replay value 100% amazing hit detection awesome textures. one of the best endings. and twist i've ever seen amazing sound effects

Pros
    the graphics are amazing. the visuals are awesome
    the story for now is great.
    replay value 100%
    amazing hit detection
    awesome textures.
    one of the best endings. and twist i've ever seen
    amazing sound effects and sound design
    great voice acting
    awesome characters
    ONE OF THE BEST ATMOSPHERES, EVER !

cons:
    the ai is kinda generic. sometimes is fine, mostly the shotgun AI is terrible. but most of them are fine..
    level design is kinda linear.
    bad mouse sensitivity

overall. don't buy it at 30$, it's now on 6 bucks on steam GET IT, BUY IT, REVIEW IT !
  39. Mar 12, 2015
    After finishing this game, I must say... The characters in this, will DEFINITELY have some PTSD. Extremely fun video game, plenty of action, the only negative I can say about it.. The game goes on continuously without stopping, so there is no customization, upgrading weapons, or anything. This game aside from that, is awesome. I enjoyed it alot more than call of duty.

This game is kind

This game is kind of short as well. If it's $19.99 and below, I say pick it up! If it costs anymore than that, wait for it to get a little cheaper.. Doesn't seem like it'd have much replay value, unless it has online play
  40. Dec 31, 2014
    The greatest game i wish i never played. The gameplay, graphics and mechanics are all well put together but nothing special. Where this game truly shines is in the story. A story which emotionally destroyed me for a day. 10/10
  41. Dec 17, 2014
    I am truly speechless, Amazing Game... Great Story, good gameplay and Mind-blowing ending...
    I don't know why some people voted 0/10, unless they come from Call Of Duty there is no reason for such a thing I think this is one of the best games that come out in the last 10 years
  42. Dec 9, 2014
    I definitly recommend this game, if you're into something meaningful and not *just* pure entertainment. In short:

The good stuff - *Great story, make you face the true horrors of war *Amazingly done soundtrack *Nice graphics *Finally a shooter with some depth *Moral choices throughout the game *This game has a really good chance of invoking many sorts of feeling in you The bad

The good stuff -
    *Great story, make you face the true horrors of war
    *Amazingly done soundtrack
    *Nice graphics
    *Finally a shooter with some depth
    *Moral choices throughout the game
    *This game has a really good chance of invoking many sorts of feeling in you

The bad stuff -
    *Gameplay is (a bit) too usual, does get (a little) repetitive
    *Minor and not-too-frequent technical buggies (and a loading screen which takes its time)
    *By any means, this is no light experience, so if you're looking for pure fun without much around, this might be somewhat heavy for you.

I got really curious about this game after reading other reviews.
    When I started playing I thought at first that it's just another regular shooter and didn't get the fuss, but as I advanced I found out I was partly wrong.
    In terms of gameplay, this is mostly just a regular shooter, but in terms of story and atmosphere, I've never seen anything like that!
    Unlike many other shooters and war-games in general, this game doesn't try to make war look like 'fun' or anything heroic. For the first time (as far as I know) a video game tries to deliver the true meaning of military conflicts, as much as a video game can.
    You get to feel the impact on the people and how devastating it can be, for both the civillians and the soldiers themselves.

If you're looking for simple 'fun' with shooting and killing, this game isn't necessarily good for you, as it explores the darker sides of war and has quite a few moment which could make you feel sadness, anger, and such things.. But not fun.

Unfortunately the gameplay doesn't bring anything new and innovative to the genre, and I even found it boring at times. You get to play with one main character which can, at times, command other two soldiers, so there's a little tactical thinking through it all, but mostly it's just a regular shooter.
    The story completely compensates for it, though, and throughout the game you'll have to make a few difficult moral choices.
    At first I was a little disappointed when I found out they have no actual effect on the story, but I realized that they're there for the psychological impact, and that's what the game is based on.

So, in short, gameplay is mehh and it does get a little repetitive - but for the sake of story it's worth it

But that's not all of course.
    The soundtrack is absolutely amazing, as it's masterfully integrated into the game.
    The original soundtack for the game is mostly made up of rockish-style tracks - which is very refreshing for the genre and for video game music in general, and also some licensed soundtrack (couple of tracks from different artists such as Jimi Hendrix and Bjork) which greatly contributes to the game and as I said, the music is involved in the game amazingly.
    If you're of the type who pays attention to the music in the background, you're going to enjoy this one!

The graphics didn't get much praise generally, but I liked them. There were vast environments in the game and they were all designed beautifully in my opinion, some looked darker and some were colorful and alive (graphically), and I really enjoyed just wandering around and exploring (at least when you're not being shot at)

Technically the game was almost perfect, it worked without many issues. Happened to me twice in the game that after switching guns I couldn't pick up my former gun.. which was really annoying, and also there were sudden moments where the textures quality got really ugly for some reasons, and after dying or reloading it got fine.
    Also, the loading screens were an annoying issue, as it took the game about 10 seconds to reload a checkpoint, which isn't that bad but on tough parts when I died over and over again it got on my nerves.

That's it though, and eventually, these things are fully forgiven, as this game gave me a strong and interesting experience, and left a very good impression on me.
    Seems to me like the devs really worked with their heart and soul on this one, and I hope they'd work on more things like that.
  43. Dec 2, 2014
    The story is awesome, and well structured. It is probably the main attraction of the game. The gameplay is alright, there is not really anything new or ground breaking about it. Just plain and simple cover and shoot (it is however very satisfying to get a headshot and see your enemies' heads explode in slow motion.) The graphics as well as the level design is ok, but nothing breath taking.The story is awesome, and well structured. It is probably the main attraction of the game. The gameplay is alright, there is not really anything new or ground breaking about it. Just plain and simple cover and shoot (it is however very satisfying to get a headshot and see your enemies' heads explode in slow motion.) The graphics as well as the level design is ok, but nothing breath taking. It does not take a long time to finish the game, it can be done in 5-6 hours on the hardest difficulty available at your first playthrough. Overall a good game, which is easy to enjoy and a good experience. I can recommend it for anyone interested in 3rd person shooters and a good story. Expand
  44. Oct 9, 2014
    A game every gamer should play. Average gameplay with amazing story and characters.

After it was over I sat in front of my PC and just repeated "the horror"
  45. Sep 27, 2014
    after completing spec ops the line i have to say this is the best of games i've ever played easily one the grayest story's in video game history you play martin walker a rescue team man with 3 others you start by killing people and more people however then you play this game i can't talk about this game but its a third person shooter the story is amazing without spoilers its not easy toafter completing spec ops the line i have to say this is the best of games i've ever played easily one the grayest story's in video game history you play martin walker a rescue team man with 3 others you start by killing people and more people however then you play this game i can't talk about this game but its a third person shooter the story is amazing without spoilers its not easy to explain much this game is just amazing Expand
  46. Sep 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't see the reason why this game didn't get a rate higher than 80, for me at least is one of the most enjoyable games that I ever played. There's a lot of enemies, the control (over the PC, not console) is pretty good, and the graphics are not the top of the line, but are really good. The choices within the game are fun, and sometimes you don't even realize that you did a choice before your teammates say something like "wow, why did you kill him?".

It's really worthy playing.
  47. Sep 8, 2014
    Spec Ops The Line has a history fantastic.the history of this game and more impressive than the TLOUS.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  48. Aug 25, 2014
    6. Finishes right where it should without becoming a drag

1. Very buggy and lots of technical issues
    2. The combat is mediocre at best
  49. Aug 12, 2014
    Best game ever, very addicting. my favorite mission is the fist one of chapter six. you should get it bout it on sale for 5.99, and there are no bugs.
  50. Aug 7, 2014
    almost as amazing as The Last Of Us

Gameplay:
    Gunfire: takes a long while getting used to
    Covor: averadge at best

Graphics: fine

overall it is one of the best games ive ever played. it proudly stands at the top of the War games along side Modern Warfare 2
  51. Aug 4, 2014
    I really see all the great in the game,the gameplay,the story the weapons everything is amazing!
    Highly recommended and I want to say that this story can relly have shocking ending if you play it right!
  52. Aug 3, 2014
    This game hit me like a ton of bricks. It should be called the anti-Call of Duty. You question the morality of what you're doing and the consequences of your actions. This isn't some laughable morality system like in Bio-Shock, this is a game that shocks and forces you to contemplate what you're doing.
    The gameplay is ok in a Gears of War kind of way and graphics are very console, but the story, Jesus, the story. I'm still thinking about it. Christ, the ending has got to be one of the best I've seen.

I can't give the story away but you can see touches of Apocalypse Now every now and then. There is no ham-fisted message about war being bad. There is no sentimental manipulation. It's all presented as matter of fact and you'll feel it in your stomach.

Recomended as a rare experience in gaming. There's no jingoism of flag waving here.
    No other game shaken me like this and the ending, man, the ending... I need a hug.
  53. Jul 29, 2014
    This is one of the best story driven games I have ever played. It makes Call of Duty and Battlefield look as deep as Sunday morning Marmaduke cartoon writing compared to All quite on the Western Front. This is the story of Martin Walker and his descent into the reality of war when he and his Delta team go into Dubai.

This is a story told in a cover based modern shooter game, not a

This is a story told in a cover based modern shooter game, not a modern shooter game with a story to pass the time when the internet is out and you can't get in a quick match.

Buy this game. Play this game. Read all quite on the Western front.
  54. Jul 22, 2014
    A 9/10 because of the gameplay, which is pretty standard. But don't play it because of the gameplay, play it for the story, which is downright amazing, I won't spoil anything, but just take me by my word. If you play it on normal difficulty, it should only take you about 5-6 hours to beat, but you'll probably play it again just to understand the story better.
  55. Jul 17, 2014
    Firstly, ignore the title. This is not the 'Merica Eff Yeah game that you might imagine it to be. It is not a simplistic machismo party. This is the war shooter for people who hate war shooters... me, really.

This is exactly the kind of game that many PC fundamentalists hate for being "consolised". It's built for the XBox gamepad, and I strongly recommend you play it that way. The graphics are nice enough, but they're not refined for PC at all; with a GTX770 4GB, I'm still seeing stripy shadows across characters' skin.

It's a shame to crucify this game over technical points though. I'm scoring it so highly because it's a rare war shooter that has a truly interesting story. Of course, every army game out there tries to inject sophistication into its story, usually by adding betrayal. This game does something different that genuinely stands up as more than just "a good story for a game". It begins with the "Heart of Darkness" stylings of Apocalypse Now, and then runs off with them in a different direction. If you can overlook the fact that you're palpably playing a console game via your PC, give it a try.
  56. Jul 14, 2014
    Masterpiece.

You don't believe me?

Try it.

...and then come back here to talk...

The story is something you find once in a hundred of today games.

The gameplay feels nice and it maybe take some time to settle in but when it does you'll be poppin heads.

Visually - great. Graphics can stay shoulder to shoulder with the games from 2014 and style and colors are just swesome.
  57. Jul 10, 2014
    Story:
    Captain Walker, Lieutenant Adams, and Staff Sergeant Lugo, a 3-man delta squad, are sent to traverse a storm wall through to the outskirts of a mostly-buried Dubai on foot. Their goal: To find info on whether or not a missing infantry unit is still alive. The events that follow will soon take a much more darker tone than what I expected. I love this game's narrative for going beyond the average military shooter cliches and going for a more realistic and darker tone. There were moments where I was disgusted by what I saw, and that's a good thing. The acting and dialogue here is A+ worthy and it's interesting and engaging to see our 3-man squad adapt and evolve as they go through the events of the game. Sgt. Walker is a complex character because of how his mental health throughout the game interferes with his desire to complete his mission, and all of it comes to a close in what are a set of interesting endings to choose from, and none of them were predictable. All of them are interesting in their own way. The story here is a prime example of video games being capable of telling engrossing and fantastic stories at a level greater than or equal to movies and books. 10/10

Gameplay:
    Unfortunately, the gameplay can't live up to the near perfect story since the gameplay follows 3rd-person shooter cliches. I enjoyed the shooting, cover system, and vehicle sections of the game, but that's about it. The squad A.I. isn't really smart, and both Adams and Lugo would often struggle with hitting 1 enemy, even when I'd mark him for them. I also didn't like how scarce ammo was in this game for some guns, especially since it contradicts the game. And to make things worse, you can only carry 2 guns at a time. You would often run out of ammo in the middle of a firefight, and since the game has a habit of throwing 20+ enemies at you, you'll often have to resort to picking up their weapons and restocking from their dead bodies. I also think that on normal mode, you would die with too little shots required. One second you're fine, the next second your screen's grey. The level design is also pretty straightforward with no additional passageways to take in missions. As a whole, including deaths, I completed the game in about 5 hours, which is more on the short side. It's clear that this is one game where story is what drives the player to complete it, not gameplay. 7/10

Graphics:
    The graphics still look great on PC at max settings. Despite being in a desert, the game uses a variety of colors and mission settings to keep the game looking fresh. The bloom is great here (even if it gets overused in some sequences), the textures still look good to this day, and the character models look gritty and fit the game's dark tone well. The lip-syncing here is also perfect as even in gameplay, the character's lips move in-sync to their dialogue. My only gripe here is that some of the cut-scenes don't look all that great. But visually, the game still looks stunning. 8/10

Sound:
    The score here is filled with some great Rock tracks that play while in combat. The orchestral score also does a fine job here at building up emotion while playing. The gun sounds are good, and overall, the sound design here is great. 9/10

Multiplayer:
    The multiplayer is dead here on PC, and I'm willing to bet it's also dead on consoles. So don't buy this game for its multiplayer. And from what I've heard, the games's multiplayer sucks.

Verdict:
    Spec Ops: The Line features probably one of the best stories I've ever seen from not only military shooters, but in my whole gaming career. If only the gameplay could live up to the story though. The visuals and sound are both great, and the multiplayer is dead. I'll say for its $30 cost, it's well worth the purchase if you don't mind having to only play the single player portion.

Rating: 9/10
  58. Jul 10, 2014
    Finally I get to play this controversial game (because I want to read the book "killing is harmless" solely written on this game).

It is a short game, I finished it (at least the majority of the narrative) in 5 hours. But the gameplay, to be honest, is mediocre if not horrible. Plus Multiplayer is dead. Graphics, let's say, mediocre again because it is really not impressive. The whole weight of the game goes to the narrative. It is really a anti-FPS shooter game. I even doubt if they actually made the other aspects of the game deliberately awful so as the player can focus on the "shock" of the narrative. Thus it is most fun to play this game with the expectation that this is just another shooter like GoW etc.

The choices (and how impotent they are) the player are asked to make reminded me of Mass Effect series particularly 3 and its ending. The psychological manipulation and guilt-driven portrayal of war all aims at making the player uncomfortable (possibly contemplating). The hero is the villain. It is not the usual "there is no clear cut between hero and villain" rehtorics, but the entire dichotomy is destroyed. There is no justice in a war and it does not matter which side you choose. When the soldier is bodily on the battlefield, the gore and brutality does permanent damage to him. It affects the protagonist to its core while the he strives to maintain his legitimacy through construction of himself as the hero regardless of what he had done to many lives.

Now I am going to read that whole book, if I ever got the time.
  59. Jul 7, 2014
    This is a game that once you've finished it the first time, you will not want to play again because you won't feel good about the killing anymore. So zero replay value due to the emotional effect it has on you. But, that first time through, damn what an experience. It's like a really good, horrifying war movie. If it was a movie you could watch it over and over because you are not the oneThis is a game that once you've finished it the first time, you will not want to play again because you won't feel good about the killing anymore. So zero replay value due to the emotional effect it has on you. But, that first time through, damn what an experience. It's like a really good, horrifying war movie. If it was a movie you could watch it over and over because you are not the one pulling the trigger. However in the game it is you and the game forces you to make your character do things you don't want him to do. You want to tell your character, "don't do this". Expand
  60. Jun 25, 2014
    Although the game play is nothing special and could be considered very bad, that is not what this game is made for. This has to have one of the best, if not, the best story line in a long time. It shows what war is like.

It does not make you feel good about your choices, it shows how horrific war is, and what killing people is actually like. Not your typical stories like Call of Duty, where you kill terrorists or the "bad guys" for America.

For a game that makes you feel like human garbage, it's amazing. Again though, don't buy it if you want multiplayer.
  61. Jun 20, 2014
    -Mass Murder Refrain
    -Post Modern art
    -Deconstruction -Remains in disarray -Failed to live on in the next generation of consoles... -Character Over Plot ---Modernity once again rules over last generation, with it seeming to seep into this generation. Probably the only true postmodern art piece to come out of gaming since Metal Gear Solid 2; And like that game, it failed to reach
    -Mass Murder Refrain
    -Post Modern art
    -Deconstruction
    -Remains in disarray
    -Failed to live on in the next generation of consoles...
    -Character Over Plot

---Modernity once again rules over last generation, with it seeming to seep into this generation. Probably the only true postmodern art piece to come out of gaming since Metal Gear Solid 2; And like that game, it failed to reach out to it's target audience.
  62. Jun 8, 2014
    This game has the fell of Apocalypse Now when you go into it. similar plot and plot design, it is basically Apocalypse Now in Dubai in a modern day setting without a man how thinks he's a god in it. This game's plot is great, with decent characters. The multiplayer is bland and dull, as is the game's asking price on Steam. $30 for a good game that only lasts for about 5 hours is not worthThis game has the fell of Apocalypse Now when you go into it. similar plot and plot design, it is basically Apocalypse Now in Dubai in a modern day setting without a man how thinks he's a god in it. This game's plot is great, with decent characters. The multiplayer is bland and dull, as is the game's asking price on Steam. $30 for a good game that only lasts for about 5 hours is not worth it to me. Wait like I did until a sale when it's at a reasonable price, then you should defiantly not hesitate in purchasing it. Expand
  63. Jun 2, 2014
    The biggest positive mindphuck I have experienced in all of my years gaming. This game early on does an excellent job of pretending to be just another shooter with the mediocre story then later, immediately grabs you and jumps into hyperspace to give you the darkest, most evil gripping story ever. War is hell--- and no amount of trying to do the right thing will redeem your burned soul.
  64. May 13, 2014
    Game is awesome. Playing the game, soon or later you are asking yourself: Is it all necessary? IMO One of the best shooter I've ever played. Very good game
  65. May 2, 2014
    People said The Last of Us was THE game of its generation. People also said Bioshock Infinite was THE game of the generation. But the truth is Spec Ops the line is THE game you have to play. It is not perfect, the mechanics serve their purpose and thats it. However when i drop the controller because of what i had done in game, and tears of deep sadness appeared in my eyes i realized justPeople said The Last of Us was THE game of its generation. People also said Bioshock Infinite was THE game of the generation. But the truth is Spec Ops the line is THE game you have to play. It is not perfect, the mechanics serve their purpose and thats it. However when i drop the controller because of what i had done in game, and tears of deep sadness appeared in my eyes i realized just how special this game is. Spec Ops the Line is a game every single gamer should play. 10/10. Expand
  66. Apr 12, 2014
    nice story with ultimate graphics...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  67. Mar 4, 2014
    8.2/10
    + Interesting Story
    + Amazing writing/script + Great Characters and Nice Character Development + Engaging story that makes you feel emotionally involved + You make decisions that affect outcomes + Great Twist at the end + Nice use of environments in play + Different locations throughout Dubai that all are interesting - Some "choices" seem like you actually have no control
    8.2/10
    + Interesting Story
    + Amazing writing/script
    + Great Characters and Nice Character Development
    + Engaging story that makes you feel emotionally involved
    + You make decisions that affect outcomes
    + Great Twist at the end
    + Nice use of environments in play
    + Different locations throughout Dubai that all are interesting

- Some "choices" seem like you actually have no control
    - Nothing new with gameplay (Generic Third Person Shooter Gameplay)
    - Some controls were frustrating (ex. X [Gamepad] was used to get to cover AND to run)

Overall Spec Ops: The Line was an interesting and engaging interactive cinematic experience. Spec Ops had the story of a big budget Hollywood action movie, but also had the familiar third person shooter in it. The story kept me on the edge of my seat and wanting to know what happens next. At some parts Specs Ops was just another grindfest, but then again what shooter today isn't? Spec Ops did not have a huge selection of guns, which did not hurt the game at all. Instead of looking for the coolest weapon, you were looking for weapons to help you clear the level so you could find out what happens next.

In conclusion Spec Ops: The Line is a great game that should not be missed out on due to the new emotional and mental take on war. The game will rank up there with my favorite games that would make me want to play again, to play the many different ending.

P.S. The graphics for this game was pretty okay, nothing fancy, but nothing terrible. I put this at the end of my review as to not get this confused with pluses and minuses. I would NEVER include graphics as a means of judging a game.
  68. Feb 4, 2014
    Пожалуй самый лучший шутер в который я играл. Прошёл игру за 7 часов с 2 подходов.

+ Графика
    + Геймплей
    + СЮЖЕТ!
    + Дубай
    + Нет минусов за который можно зацепится

Советую всем поиграть, не пожалеете
    Ставлю: 10/10
  69. Jan 24, 2014
    Story: 10 (or more)
    Gameplay: 9,5
    Graphics: 9,5.

It's a general FPS gameplay, but the story it is the best that I've seen. Deserves a higher score.
  70. Dec 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was a great experience, the story is great, i am not a hardcore gamer but i can say it is a good game.
    Spoilers: all the 4 endings are good, my first ending was to go home after epilogue, and the next was freedom to do anything. these were awesome.
  71. Dec 26, 2013
    Just finished playing this game. I must say, it is one of the best games I have ever played. Graphics wise, can't complain. I have seen better as well as worse.

The storyline is just, it touching. Having family members that have gone through PTSD, and having played this game after I was done with it gave it the high praise for "hitting home" to the player. With some scenes being really graphic, tied in with the intense firefights, makes this game, in my books, one of the best games of the year.

The cover mechanics are a little wonky, and takes some getting used to but once you have been broken in, they will come second hand to you.

Spec Ops: The Line is a game I would definitely recommend to my friends/family.
  72. Dec 21, 2013
    This game was a pleasant surprise. The story, gameplay, character development, graphics, and decision making are great. Another hit from 2K. Highly recommend.
  73. Dec 6, 2013
    This game shows perfectly all the brutality of war. The action is well designed and the combat parts are excellent. maybe there are too many cinematic but the game is so well developed that the player enjoys every minute of it. Nice game, I personally don't recommended for kids under 16, but for the rest it worth the purchase
  74. Nov 29, 2013
    If you only care about gameplay, this game isn't for you. Otherwise, it's incredible, it probably has the best story I have ever seen in a game, but the gameplay can be quite frustrating to get past, as I said before, if you care about story, you should definately play this game.
    P.S. The multi-player should not be considered a part of the game, it was added by the publishers and is to quote one of the devs: "A cancerous growth"
  75. Nov 29, 2013
    This is a great game that many people I have talked to have loved after playing. Beware that this game has very sad moments and very emotional parts. The game has great graphics that really shows the environment around the player. This the type of game that integrates the third person with run and cover type game. Without cover you are at a disadvantage when in combat. The feature that iThis is a great game that many people I have talked to have loved after playing. Beware that this game has very sad moments and very emotional parts. The game has great graphics that really shows the environment around the player. This the type of game that integrates the third person with run and cover type game. Without cover you are at a disadvantage when in combat. The feature that i love about it is the menu, it changes the further along the game you are. The combat features are well executed.
    There are quite a lot of twists.
    I recommend this to anyone that loves shooter games.

This is AssassinReviews,
    Thanks for reading :D
  76. Nov 15, 2013
    This is not a game you will play to have fun.

This is not a game you will play to feel good.

This is not a game you will play to be a hero.

This is a game you will play to see war as the hell it is

This is a game you will play to see exactly how screwed up modern military games are.

This is a game you will play for the same reason you would play a horror game.
  77. Nov 11, 2013
    10/10 for story,here your actions doesn't always result in saving the world, actually it may end up the other way .Very minimal characters but deep. Game-play is like many other shooters you have played.THE IMPORTANT thing is, don't judge it after first few minutes of game-play. The real proclaimed depth of story begins afterwards, it become darker and darker with progression.Play it for10/10 for story,here your actions doesn't always result in saving the world, actually it may end up the other way .Very minimal characters but deep. Game-play is like many other shooters you have played.THE IMPORTANT thing is, don't judge it after first few minutes of game-play. The real proclaimed depth of story begins afterwards, it become darker and darker with progression.Play it for the story( it questions your conscience many times).Highly recommended. Expand
  78. Nov 2, 2013
    Great graphics with attention to detail (debris, dust, particles, fire, dirt, light), changing appearance of the PCs. Great voice over all voices are spot on, dialogs are very good, soldier chatter and yelling fits the action on the screen. Shooting is very satisfactory. Very interesting plot, grim mood. Awesome music (shooting to the disco music FTW) the music itself makes me want toGreat graphics with attention to detail (debris, dust, particles, fire, dirt, light), changing appearance of the PCs. Great voice over all voices are spot on, dialogs are very good, soldier chatter and yelling fits the action on the screen. Shooting is very satisfactory. Very interesting plot, grim mood. Awesome music (shooting to the disco music FTW) the music itself makes me want to play it again. I don't know where the opinion of a mediocre game comes from Spec Ops should have a place among the best games of this generation, not be pushed aside. I strongly recommend you to play this game if you like TPP shooters and/or games with good plot. Expand
  79. Oct 26, 2013
    Spec Ops: The Line takes you to a war zone in Dubai, where you take the place of Captain Martin Walker, who is accompanied by his Delta team: Lieutenant Alphonso Adams and Sargent John Lugo, team that goes to Dubai in order to bring Colonel John Konrad back to the U.S.

During this story, you'll face a lot of difficult decisions, which will put your morals in play, "should I kill a civilian over a colleague from the army?" "Should I take revenge?" and it is all up to you, and your choices will decide how each "level" of the game goes, not significantly, but it'll change depending on your decisions.

If you like to get completely into a masterly crafted storyline, you definitely must play this game.
  80. Oct 20, 2013
    This game... this game...

If you want to know what really happens during a war, play this game. Don't play the latest Call of Duty and think that is what happens during a war, this game shows you exactly what happens... and the consequences of war. As for game play, it's pretty difficult, even on Normal difficulty, you can die in about 5 or 6 shots, especially late-game where the
    This game... this game...

If you want to know what really happens during a war, play this game.

As for game play, it's pretty difficult, even on Normal difficulty, you can die in about 5 or 6 shots, especially late-game where the enemies have extremely powerful weapons.
  81. Oct 8, 2013
    suprb .........best gameplay best graphic best story line .........best third person shooter after long time.......max wepon choice .....and gameplay is some what gears of war..
  82. Oct 5, 2013
    One of the best modern shooters to come out this year, The plot is constantly keeping you guessing and the ending is very mind blowing. I expected this to be a general modern FPS but it completely blew away my expectations. Very well done.
  83. Sep 29, 2013
    Spec Ops: the Line really is something else but it mimics the mainstream mechanics so well that many players mistook it for yet another CoD clone and a below-average one at that gameplay-wise.

My opinion is a little biased because I've never played any Call of Duty, Battlefield, Army of Two, or other war simulators so many rehashed mechanics were quite new to me and I couldn't complain about the graphics either. But the beef of the game is not it's technical side, it's the storyline, the atmosphere, and the narrative.

I can confirm that SO:tL really is quite engaging but often simply not fun, curiously enough. While you explore the beautifully designed environments, the constant slaughter overlaid by a perfectly-fitting yet weirdly presented (via in-game radio broadcasting) soundtrack leaves you with the feeling that something is very off. For a good portion of the game you battle different people but you don't really know who they are. Then you realize that you don't really know why you're fighting them. Everything goes so weird that you don't really know why you do what you do and start wondering if the choices you make are really there or the game just drags you along to prove a point. Even the loading tips start changing slowly but surely from game hints to... something else.

The ending is close to flawless. I was not only surprised but also relieved that there really was a good reason for all the weirdness. SO:tL represents an excellent achievement through the combination of its setting, storyline, voice acting, graphics, mechanics, and atmosphere. It will keep you guessing, taking away the fun from the gameplay while holding you until the end. Or at least that happened to me and I fully appreciated it.

Give this game a shot, it might change your perception of the whole genre more than its technically superior counterparts ever could.
  84. Sep 25, 2013
    THE LONG AND THE SHORT OF IT. If you want a 3rd person shooter with great gameplay, mechanics, and an online experience play Gears of War. This game is all about the story, while GoW has a great story line, it does not leave you floored and questioning life, mortality, and morality quite like Spec Ops does. if you call yourself a gamer of any genre, this is a MUST; if you're an PvP bro,THE LONG AND THE SHORT OF IT. If you want a 3rd person shooter with great gameplay, mechanics, and an online experience play Gears of War. This game is all about the story, while GoW has a great story line, it does not leave you floored and questioning life, mortality, and morality quite like Spec Ops does. if you call yourself a gamer of any genre, this is a MUST; if you're an PvP bro, leave it alone. Expand
  85. Sep 19, 2013
    what a great storyline in a game. intersting concept somehow completely unfun but extremely brutal and exciting i hope jager will make a sequel. or something like it. great work.
  86. Sep 16, 2013
    I haven't tried the multiplayer or co-op campaigns, but the single-player campaign in Spec Ops: The Line is wonderful. The graphics are quite good, the story is amazing, the sounds are convincing, the controls are solid, and the weapons feel really powerful and are a pleasure to shoot. I understand that Call of Duty and its clones are falling out of fashion, but in terms of single-playerI haven't tried the multiplayer or co-op campaigns, but the single-player campaign in Spec Ops: The Line is wonderful. The graphics are quite good, the story is amazing, the sounds are convincing, the controls are solid, and the weapons feel really powerful and are a pleasure to shoot. I understand that Call of Duty and its clones are falling out of fashion, but in terms of single-player this is a pretty good CoD clone and well worth checking out. Expand
  87. Aug 23, 2013
    I shat bricks. Every developer should take note of this game. It changed the way first person shooters are judged as a whole. Just a heads up, this game is much more violent than the average 3rd person shooter (which is saying something).
  88. Aug 21, 2013
    This game is just poetry to me. So much good stuff to talk about here.
    The story and cinematography are the best aspect of the game: never I've been so attacked to a story (well, beside Telltale's Walking Dead) and Captain Walker is my second favourite video game character ever after John Marston: he starts out as a typical action hero, but in the end he changes a lot.
    The gameplay is
    This game is just poetry to me. So much good stuff to talk about here.
    The gameplay is not god-awful as many say: I love me some third-person shooters and I got a lot of enjoyment from this game.
    The replay value is pretty high: you may change some decision in the story, as well as seeing what happens with a different perspective. Plus, there is a co-op mode that is just amazing, with new maps to play with a friend. The multiplayer is okay, too bad not many people play it.
  89. Aug 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoyed this game. I'm not usually one for first third person shooters, but solidly enjoyed this. I got it as part of a pre-purchase of XCOM the Bureau, so was effectively free, and was pleasantly surprised. Although the mechanics were sometimes a little rough around the edges (ordering squad mates was not as intuitive or fleshed out as much as I would have liked), the story and dialogue kept me engaged. I really enjoyed the scenario and environment in this game, the sand storms and dunes made things interesting, and the movement between close indoors combat and outdoor combat, as well as lots of vertical movement and engagement, kept things fresh. This was really important to me, as in the end you are mainly fighting the same sort of troop again and again (though knives and shotguns would be pointed out to me by my squad mates they still just needed a few bullets to take down the biggest change in type would be heavies, which required a bit of work). The large range of scenarios for engaging these homogenous enemies made it feel fresh up until the end. The story was top notch, and was very happy with the ending I got (1 of 4 or 5 I think), with enough foreshadowing throughout that the twist seems legitimate and not out of the blue. I don't know if I enjoyed it enough to replay the whole thing through again, but I very much enjoyed the ~5 hours I put into it (again, it was free). Expand
  90. Aug 11, 2013
    Many games try to capture what it's like for soldiers on the battlefield but most fail utterly, this game does it spectacularly, along with awesome graphics and good game play mechanics this is highly recommended
  91. Aug 9, 2013
    So good. Best FPS I have played in awhile. Generic combat, but a great, tragic story. If you google the ending, you will want to replay the game and pick up on the subtle clues you missed. Deserves a better critic and review score
  92. Aug 7, 2013
    Although adding nothing new to the genre gameplay-wise this shooter is an outstanding piece of art when it comes to terms of story and picture.
    Yes, the graphics aren't topnotch but they are good, the AI is close to awful and the level-layout is pretty simple yet all this becomes insignificant when you get blown away by stunningly beautiful Levels (speaking of the crafted images not the layout) and a story so dark and moving that I just sat there staring at my monitor for what felt like minutes more than once.
    Spec Ops: The Line isn't by any means a great shooter yet it tells a unique story which makes a playthrough well worth your time.
  93. Aug 3, 2013
    spec ops the line has one of the most amazing stories in games although the gameplay is familiar cover and shoot but new mechanics like using the environment is really cool and your companions can be helpful although controls are frustrating sometimes but the story will keep you interested to the end and i enjoyed walking around Dubai it has a great environment and descent graphicsspec ops the line has one of the most amazing stories in games although the gameplay is familiar cover and shoot but new mechanics like using the environment is really cool and your companions can be helpful although controls are frustrating sometimes but the story will keep you interested to the end and i enjoyed walking around Dubai it has a great environment and descent graphics in a nutshell spec ops has familiar game play but one of the most awesome stories you'll encounter Expand
  94. Jul 29, 2013
    This is just a great game, with stunning visuals, great game-play and an innovative story for the genre. The ambience is breathtaking and you'll get glued playing for hours. Music is also very immersive and meshes extremely well with the style of the game. One of the best TPS out there.
  95. Jul 19, 2013
    If you're looking for a standard, third-person military shooter then you should skip Spec Ops.

OK, so all of the idiots are gone now right? This game is a narrative masterpiece. It forces the player to make choices that are not only difficult, but so easy to mistake for the black and white linearity that is found in so many shooters today. This game is not only highly cerebral and

OK, so all of the idiots are gone now right?

This game is a narrative masterpiece. It forces the player to make choices that are not only difficult, but so easy to mistake for the black and white linearity that is found in so many shooters today. This game is not only highly cerebral and thought-provoking, but it acts as a commentary on current and future gaming culture. Some of the scenes and images are difficult to stomach, but that's sort of the point of the game. Games like Call of Duty and Battlefield don't expose the player to the true horrors of war. They try to make a pretty shooting gallery to walk through while the player's internet service is down.

Spec Ops will challenge the way you think and the way you play games. This game was never intended to be "fun" in the traditional sense. Rather, it was created (IMHO) to force people who play these sort of games to sit down and really think about what it is they want from a game and why they feel the need to make the decisions they make. Spec Ops is both challenging and rewarding. Buy it.
  96. Jul 15, 2013
    One of the best games I've played in years!! The cover-based system is even more fun than Max Payne 3, and it also has auto-aim --which always makes the game a lot more fun and combats more spectacular, when using a game-pad.
  97. Jun 30, 2013
    At first glance, the game might seem to be another third person shooter clone, with nice cover mechanics, shooting mechanics, and gameplay mechanics, like the integration of sand into combat, but it is so much more than that. Quite honestly I picked up Spec Ops: The Line as a cheap sale on steam, expecting, like I said above, a generic third person shooter in a new environment. StartingAt first glance, the game might seem to be another third person shooter clone, with nice cover mechanics, shooting mechanics, and gameplay mechanics, like the integration of sand into combat, but it is so much more than that. Quite honestly I picked up Spec Ops: The Line as a cheap sale on steam, expecting, like I said above, a generic third person shooter in a new environment. Starting off, the game sort of feels like a drag, same sort of characters you might find in a modern military shooter. Soon, though, I became attached to one character in particular: Lugo. No spoilers here, by the way. Anyhow, he seemed to genuinely care about what was going on in the environment. Basically, all the characters soon did. The way you face the problems of war, and soon the even deeper underlying problems that unmask themselves as you move into the 12th and 13th chapters, unlike any other soldier you might have suited up as in any other FPS or TPS, is genuinely refreshing, interesting, and furthermore makes the game a completely unique title. Like many other great titles, it has an awesome ending, and builds up very well in the meantime.
    Story-wise, this game is great. Something that'll keep you thinking, especially after you've made your choices. Like so many other games that allow you to make a major choice and influence the ending and development of the story, you begin to wonder: "did I make the right choice?" Often times, this causes you to be involved in the story they've placed you in, and furthermore causes you to honestly enjoy (or sometimes, in this case, not enjoy) what you're playing and watching. 10/10
    Graphics-wise, this game is gorgeous, save a few texture effects that seem a tad low budget. Other than that, the engine truly shines, masking the terrible destruction Dubai has undergone. It makes the buildings look wonderful and the destruction look real. 9/10
    Sound-wise, this game really knows how to place the music. The soundtrack included in the game is played at all the right moments, especially around the ending. On top of that, the noise and effects are genuinely special, sounding real and effective. Furthermore, the voice acting is top-tier and sounds very real. 9/10
    Gameplay-wise, this game could use some help. As I said, when you begin playing, it seems very generic, basically, because it is. It's a very generic shooter, on top of the fact that the controls are out of place. I mean, "space" to run? Who thought of that? However, the gameplay mechanics orchestrated in each fight are genuinely fun to play with, and tend to bring some originality and light to the otherwise dusty and unoriginal style of play. 7/10

This game isn't about a war, shooting up bad guys, or being the hero. A lot of times, it's about you, your team, and the choices you make. Furthermore, it's a game that looks deeply into being the bad guy at times. It looks into emotional appeal of the gamer, and really hits home. There is a multiplayer inclusion of Spec Ops: The Line, but to put it bluntly, it's lame, not fun, and might ruin the experience you have with this otherwise legendary game. Stay away from the multiplayer. Only other criticism is: it's short. I covered the story on "Suicide Mission" difficulty in 4 hours (or so Steam says.) However, I'd say the story is replayable, as long as you don't mind trudging through the sloppy controls again.

Overall, I rate this game a 9/10 Legendary game with a great story. Definitely worth buying.
  98. Jun 27, 2013
    I read about this game a long time ago and finally decided to buy it a few months ago when it was on sale. I must say, I am impressed by it. The gameplay is not unique in any aspect but fairly satisfying, graphics are really nice but what was seriously positive is the story. This game made me think about the topic of war a lot more than games like Call of Duty do. This is really a gameI read about this game a long time ago and finally decided to buy it a few months ago when it was on sale. I must say, I am impressed by it. The gameplay is not unique in any aspect but fairly satisfying, graphics are really nice but what was seriously positive is the story. This game made me think about the topic of war a lot more than games like Call of Duty do. This is really a game that I will remember for a long time even though I doubt I will replay much of it. Expand
  99. Jun 11, 2013
    If you like are ever played Gear of war then this gam has some thing to offer you .
    One of the most underrated games of the past few years just because of the not so good MP they were forced to add. And a lot of people don't like the Anti War and anti American politics in the game

Game is all about single player which is very good, Great fire fights and games graphics are very good along with a good story .You can pick this up cheap not and its well worth it
  100. Jun 9, 2013
    Didn't play many TPS games before..so the gameplay and the control of this game seemed OK to me..I don't know whether it was too bad or not comparing to other games..but Gears of War is better than this one..However, the plot of this game is absolutely outstanding..Want to know what will you become in some extreme situations such as in a war? Play this one..
  101. Aug 21, 2013
    The gameplay is

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 13, 2012
    Spec Ops: The Line tries new and interesting ground on storytelling, but falls short on the action department. Still, it's worth playing through for the atmosphere and few different endings alone. [Aug 2012]
  2. PC Master (Greece)
    Aug 31, 2012
    Were it not for some technical issues and console-related shortcomings (gamepad controls and no anti-aliasing), Spec Ops: The Line would be one of the best games for 2012. But, things being as they are, it remains merely a diamond in the rough, destined for wicked crazy status within the following years. Definitely superior to the related series of Kane & Lynch, it proves that, with a steady vision and soul, a genre so clichéd like military shooters, can not only surprise us pleasantly, but totally overwhelm us. [August 2012]
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Aug 10, 2012
    Expectations were greater than game could have achieved. Yet the new Spec Ops game is a good excuse to stay home and play. [Issue#220]