8.2

1. Jul 29, 2014
    This is one of the best story driven games I have ever played. It makes Call of Duty and Battlefield look as deep as Sunday morning Marmaduke cartoon writing compared to All quite on the Western Front. This is the story of Martin Walker and his descent into the reality of war when he and his Delta team go into Dubai.

This is a story told in a cover based modern shooter game, not a
    modern shooter game with a story to pass the time when the internet is out and you can't get in a quick match.

Buy this game. Play this game. Read all quite on the Western front.
  2. Jul 22, 2014
    A 9/10 because of the gameplay, which is pretty standard. But don't play it because of the gameplay, play it for the story, which is downright amazing, I won't spoil anything, but just take me by my word. If you play it on normal difficulty, it should only take you about 5-6 hours to beat, but you'll probably play it again just to understand the story better.
  3. Jul 17, 2014
    Firstly, ignore the title. This is not the 'Merica Eff Yeah game that you might imagine it to be. It is not a simplistic machismo party. This is the war shooter for people who hate war shooters... me, really.

This is exactly the kind of game that many PC fundamentalists hate for being "consolised". It's built for the XBox gamepad, and I strongly recommend you play it that way. The
    graphics are nice enough, but they're not refined for PC at all; with a GTX770 4GB, I'm still seeing stripy shadows across characters' skin.

It's a shame to crucify this game over technical points though. I'm scoring it so highly because it's a rare war shooter that has a truly interesting story. Of course, every army game out there tries to inject sophistication into its story, usually by adding betrayal. This game does something different that genuinely stands up as more than just "a good story for a game". It begins with the "Heart of Darkness" stylings of Apocalypse Now, and then runs off with them in a different direction. If you can overlook the fact that you're palpably playing a console game via your PC, give it a try.
  4. Jul 14, 2014
    Masterpiece.

You don't believe me?

Try it.

...and then come back here to talk...

The story is something you find once in a hundred of today games.

The gameplay feels nice and it maybe take some time to settle in but when it does you'll be poppin heads.

Visually - great. Graphics can stay shoulder to shoulder with the games from 2014 and style and colors are just swesome.
  5. Jul 13, 2014
    I played this game for a few hours and I have no motivation to continue. I have heard that the story is fantastic and really brings up the horrid nature of war and survival, but so far all it did was wimp out of a chance of really making the player feel uncomfortable about what there doing by having all the enemies be terrible evil people rather than just folks trying to survive. When you take that away all you have is the gameplay, and this is the most painfully generic third person shooter I have ever played, I mean it, It brings absolutely nothing to the table. I was disappointed. The good parts of it are that the visuals are really cool and there are some amazingly creative and awe striking levels that really show the power of nature and really try and convey the desperation of the dead city, voice acting and characters are enjoyable too. But the GAME part of the game is so painfully generic that Its no fun to play. I quit when the main character fell of a **** building for no reason and survived, I normally would not focus on this s much if the game was not trying to be realistic and gritty. Expand
  6. Jul 10, 2014
    Story:
    Captain Walker, Lieutenant Adams, and Staff Sergeant Lugo, a 3-man delta squad, are sent to traverse a storm wall through to the outskirts of a mostly-buried Dubai on foot. Their goal: To find info on whether or not a missing infantry unit is still alive. The events that follow will soon take a much more darker tone than what I expected. I love this game's narrative for going
    beyond the average military shooter cliches and going for a more realistic and darker tone. There were moments where I was disgusted by what I saw, and that's a good thing. The acting and dialogue here is A+ worthy and it's interesting and engaging to see our 3-man squad adapt and evolve as they go through the events of the game. Sgt. Walker is a complex character because of how his mental health throughout the game interferes with his desire to complete his mission, and all of it comes to a close in what are a set of interesting endings to choose from, and none of them were predictable. All of them are interesting in their own way. The story here is a prime example of video games being capable of telling engrossing and fantastic stories at a level greater than or equal to movies and books. 10/10

Gameplay:
    Unfortunately, the gameplay can't live up to the near perfect story since the gameplay follows 3rd-person shooter cliches. I enjoyed the shooting, cover system, and vehicle sections of the game, but that's about it. The squad A.I. isn't really smart, and both Adams and Lugo would often struggle with hitting 1 enemy, even when I'd mark him for them. I also didn't like how scarce ammo was in this game for some guns, especially since it contradicts the game. And to make things worse, you can only carry 2 guns at a time. You would often run out of ammo in the middle of a firefight, and since the game has a habit of throwing 20+ enemies at you, you'll often have to resort to picking up their weapons and restocking from their dead bodies. I also think that on normal mode, you would die with too little shots required. One second you're fine, the next second your screen's grey. The level design is also pretty straightforward with no additional passageways to take in missions. As a whole, including deaths, I completed the game in about 5 hours, which is more on the short side. It's clear that this is one game where story is what drives the player to complete it, not gameplay. 7/10

Graphics:
    The graphics still look great on PC at max settings. Despite being in a desert, the game uses a variety of colors and mission settings to keep the game looking fresh. The bloom is great here (even if it gets overused in some sequences), the textures still look good to this day, and the character models look gritty and fit the game's dark tone well. The lip-syncing here is also perfect as even in gameplay, the character's lips move in-sync to their dialogue. My only gripe here is that some of the cut-scenes don't look all that great. But visually, the game still looks stunning. 8/10

Sound:
    The score here is filled with some great Rock tracks that play while in combat. The orchestral score also does a fine job here at building up emotion while playing. The gun sounds are good, and overall, the sound design here is great. 9/10

Multiplayer:
    The multiplayer is dead here on PC, and I'm willing to bet it's also dead on consoles. So don't buy this game for its multiplayer. And from what I've heard, the games's multiplayer sucks.

Verdict:
    Spec Ops: The Line features probably one of the best stories I've ever seen from not only military shooters, but in my whole gaming career. If only the gameplay could live up to the story though. The visuals and sound are both great, and the multiplayer is dead. I'll say for its $30 cost, it's well worth the purchase if you don't mind having to only play the single player portion.

Rating: 9/10
  7. Jul 10, 2014
    Finally I get to play this controversial game (because I want to read the book "killing is harmless" solely written on this game).

It is a short game, I finished it (at least the majority of the narrative) in 5 hours. But the gameplay, to be honest, is mediocre if not horrible. Plus Multiplayer is dead. Graphics, let's say, mediocre again because it is really not impressive. The whole
    weight of the game goes to the narrative. It is really a anti-FPS shooter game. I even doubt if they actually made the other aspects of the game deliberately awful so as the player can focus on the "shock" of the narrative. Thus it is most fun to play this game with the expectation that this is just another shooter like GoW etc.

The choices (and how impotent they are) the player are asked to make reminded me of Mass Effect series particularly 3 and its ending. The psychological manipulation and guilt-driven portrayal of war all aims at making the player uncomfortable (possibly contemplating). The hero is the villain. It is not the usual "there is no clear cut between hero and villain" rehtorics, but the entire dichotomy is destroyed. There is no justice in a war and it does not matter which side you choose. When the soldier is bodily on the battlefield, the gore and brutality does permanent damage to him. It affects the protagonist to its core while the he strives to maintain his legitimacy through construction of himself as the hero regardless of what he had done to many lives.

Now I am going to read that whole book, if I ever got the time.
  8. Jul 7, 2014
    This is a game that once you've finished it the first time, you will not want to play again because you won't feel good about the killing anymore. So zero replay value due to the emotional effect it has on you. But, that first time through, damn what an experience. It's like a really good, horrifying war movie. If it was a movie you could watch it over and over because you are not the one pulling the trigger. However in the game it is you and the game forces you to make your character do things you don't want him to do. You want to tell your character, "don't do this". Expand
  9. Jun 25, 2014
    Although the game play is nothing special and could be considered very bad, that is not what this game is made for. This has to have one of the best, if not, the best story line in a long time. It shows what war is like.

It does not make you feel good about your choices, it shows how horrific war is, and what killing people is actually like. Not your typical stories like Call of Duty,
    where you kill terrorists or the "bad guys" for America.

For a game that makes you feel like human garbage, it's amazing. Again though, don't buy it if you want multiplayer.
  10. Jun 20, 2014
    -Mass Murder Refrain -Post Modern art -Deconstruction -Remains in disarray -Failed to live on in the next generation of consoles... -Character Over Plot ---Modernity once again rules over last generation, with it seeming to seep into this generation. Probably the only true postmodern art piece to come out of gaming since Metal Gear Solid 2; And like that game, it failed to reach out to it's target audience. Expand
  11. Jun 8, 2014
    This game has the fell of Apocalypse Now when you go into it. similar plot and plot design, it is basically Apocalypse Now in Dubai in a modern day setting without a man how thinks he's a god in it. This game's plot is great, with decent characters. The multiplayer is bland and dull, as is the game's asking price on Steam. $30 for a good game that only lasts for about 5 hours is not worth it to me. Wait like I did until a sale when it's at a reasonable price, then you should defiantly not hesitate in purchasing it. Expand
  12. Jun 2, 2014
    The biggest positive mindphuck I have experienced in all of my years gaming. This game early on does an excellent job of pretending to be just another shooter with the mediocre story then later, immediately grabs you and jumps into hyperspace to give you the darkest, most evil gripping story ever. War is hell--- and no amount of trying to do the right thing will redeem your burned soul.
  13. Jun 1, 2014
    Awesome game long demo everything great (could play on mac) but then the end. I was very disappointed i thought the end will be better. i would give the game 9.5/10 but the end was very bad.
  14. May 15, 2014
    Apocalypse Now on steroids in the desert. Fairly satisfying gun-combat action, with an above average story loosely based on Heart of Darkness. Not much in the gameplay department other than pushing through linear levels and wiping out waves of enemies. If you like your military shooters, have a shot.
  15. May 13, 2014
    Game is awesome. Playing the game, soon or later you are asking yourself: Is it all necessary? IMO One of the best shooter I've ever played. Very good game
  16. May 2, 2014
    People said The Last of Us was THE game of its generation. People also said Bioshock Infinite was THE game of the generation. But the truth is Spec Ops the line is THE game you have to play. It is not perfect, the mechanics serve their purpose and thats it. However when i drop the controller because of what i had done in game, and tears of deep sadness appeared in my eyes i realized just how special this game is. Spec Ops the Line is a game every single gamer should play. 10/10. Expand
  17. Apr 12, 2014
    nice story with ultimate graphics...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  18. Mar 4, 2014
    8.2/10 + Interesting Story + Amazing writing/script + Great Characters and Nice Character Development + Engaging story that makes you feel emotionally involved + You make decisions that affect outcomes + Great Twist at the end + Nice use of environments in play + Different locations throughout Dubai that all are interesting - Some "choices" seem like you actually have no control
    - Nothing new with gameplay (Generic Third Person Shooter Gameplay)
    - Some controls were frustrating (ex. X [Gamepad] was used to get to cover AND to run)

Overall Spec Ops: The Line was an interesting and engaging interactive cinematic experience. Spec Ops had the story of a big budget Hollywood action movie, but also had the familiar third person shooter in it. The story kept me on the edge of my seat and wanting to know what happens next. At some parts Specs Ops was just another grindfest, but then again what shooter today isn't? Spec Ops did not have a huge selection of guns, which did not hurt the game at all. Instead of looking for the coolest weapon, you were looking for weapons to help you clear the level so you could find out what happens next.

In conclusion Spec Ops: The Line is a great game that should not be missed out on due to the new emotional and mental take on war. The game will rank up there with my favorite games that would make me want to play again, to play the many different ending.

P.S. The graphics for this game was pretty okay, nothing fancy, but nothing terrible. I put this at the end of my review as to not get this confused with pluses and minuses. I would NEVER include graphics as a means of judging a game.
  19. Feb 4, 2014
    Пожалуй самый лучший шутер в который я играл. Прошёл игру за 7 часов с 2 подходов.

+ Графика
    + Геймплей
    + СЮЖЕТ!
    + Дубай
    + Нет минусов за который можно зацепится

Советую всем поиграть, не пожалеете
    Ставлю: 10/10
  20. Jan 24, 2014
    Story: 10 (or more)
    Gameplay: 9,5
    Graphics: 9,5.

It's a general FPS gameplay, but the story it is the best that I've seen. Deserves a higher score.
  21. Jan 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Do not play this expecting anything great. Repetitive, tedious gameplay is a series of tightly enclosed shooting arenas strung together by a story that at least tries to be different from your average COD-BF-War-Campaign. That said, inconsistencies in how it is presented gave me a headache. Do my choices matter? Do I actually even have choices? The answer to both of those questions is unfortunately- No. Giving players the illusion of choice is frankly annoying, especially when the character I play is then berated for going through with what the writers forced him to do anyway. The main character/anti-hero seems to be completely incompetent at his job, and his lack of imagination is constantly demonstrated by his rationalizing at his supposed lack of options, which are rigidly enforced as we, the players, sit through as he bumbles his way through massacring what seems to be the majority of Dubai. I really have a hard time understanding why this is a story one would want to tell. There are plenty of situations where people are forced to make terrible choices, and war is an obvious way to highlight that. Unfortunately, the way that is presented here is both incredibly contrived, and frankly a bit silly. You're also left in the dark as to what exactly is happening here. What's going on with all of the sand? Why did the 33rd go crazy? Why is there no backup? Why is there suddenly tons of water at the end when we were told we'd destroyed the last of it in that long truck escape? Maybe I missed some explanation somewhere, but there's a bit too much mystery left here.

tl;dr If you like sand, this is your game.
  22. Dec 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was a great experience, the story is great, i am not a hardcore gamer but i can say it is a good game.
    Spoilers: all the 4 endings are good, my first ending was to go home after epilogue, and the next was freedom to do anything. these were awesome.
  23. Dec 26, 2013
    Just finished playing this game. I must say, it is one of the best games I have ever played. Graphics wise, can't complain. I have seen better as well as worse.

The storyline is just, it touching. Having family members that have gone through PTSD, and having played this game after I was done with it gave it the high praise for "hitting home" to the player. With some scenes being really
    graphic, tied in with the intense firefights, makes this game, in my books, one of the best games of the year.

The cover mechanics are a little wonky, and takes some getting used to but once you have been broken in, they will come second hand to you.

Spec Ops: The Line is a game I would definitely recommend to my friends/family.
  24. Dec 21, 2013
    This game was a pleasant surprise. The story, gameplay, character development, graphics, and decision making are great. Another hit from 2K. Highly recommend.
  25. Dec 11, 2013
    Spec Ops is simultaneously a breath of fresh air into the 3rd person shooter genre and a exposition of what's wrong with the genre. The heavy, mental story is very appropriate and well delivered. There were a few times in the middle that I wasn't sure about what was going on, but once I got to the end, I felt satisfied by the characters and their performance. The gameplay was fairly solid, although the AI was sometimes outright stupid and the controls weren't perfect. There are plenty of other reviews that can emphasize these points as well. I never played the multiplayer, so I can't comment on that. I would suggest that this game try to include more customization of characters so that the redundant levels are more fun to navigate. As it is, there's really no reason to replay the game at all, considering that the entire story is available on a Wiki. Expand
  26. Dec 6, 2013
    This game shows perfectly all the brutality of war. The action is well designed and the combat parts are excellent. maybe there are too many cinematic but the game is so well developed that the player enjoys every minute of it. Nice game, I personally don't recommended for kids under 16, but for the rest it worth the purchase
  27. Nov 29, 2013
    If you only care about gameplay, this game isn't for you. Otherwise, it's incredible, it probably has the best story I have ever seen in a game, but the gameplay can be quite frustrating to get past, as I said before, if you care about story, you should definately play this game.
    P.S. The multi-player should not be considered a part of the game, it was added by the publishers and is to
    quote one of the devs: "A cancerous growth" Expand
  28. Nov 29, 2013
    This is a great game that many people I have talked to have loved after playing. Beware that this game has very sad moments and very emotional parts. The game has great graphics that really shows the environment around the player. This the type of game that integrates the third person with run and cover type game. Without cover you are at a disadvantage when in combat. The feature that i love about it is the menu, it changes the further along the game you are. The combat features are well executed.
    There are quite a lot of twists.
    I recommend this to anyone that loves shooter games.

This is AssassinReviews,
    Thanks for reading :D
  29. Nov 18, 2013
    While it's mediocre third person action fest albeit with some gorgeous set pieces with a soundtrack of Alice in Chains. Björk The Black Angels, Black Mountain, Deep Purple, Inner Circle's, Jimi Hendrix, Martha and the Vandellas Mogwai, Nine Inch Nails and Giuseppe Verdi helps a lot to compensate
  30. Nov 15, 2013
    This is not a game you will play to have fun.

This is not a game you will play to feel good.

This is not a game you will play to be a hero.

This is a game you will play to see war as the hell it is

This is a game you will play to see exactly how screwed up modern military games are.

This is a game you will play for the same reason you would play a horror game.
  31. Nov 11, 2013
    10/10 for story,here your actions doesn't always result in saving the world, actually it may end up the other way .Very minimal characters but deep. Game-play is like many other shooters you have played.THE IMPORTANT thing is, don't judge it after first few minutes of game-play. The real proclaimed depth of story begins afterwards, it become darker and darker with progression.Play it for the story( it questions your conscience many times).Highly recommended. Expand
  32. Nov 2, 2013
    Great graphics with attention to detail (debris, dust, particles, fire, dirt, light), changing appearance of the PCs. Great voice over all voices are spot on, dialogs are very good, soldier chatter and yelling fits the action on the screen. Shooting is very satisfactory. Very interesting plot, grim mood. Awesome music (shooting to the disco music FTW) the music itself makes me want to play it again. I don't know where the opinion of a mediocre game comes from Spec Ops should have a place among the best games of this generation, not be pushed aside. I strongly recommend you to play this game if you like TPP shooters and/or games with good plot. Expand
  33. Oct 26, 2013
    Spec Ops: The Line takes you to a war zone in Dubai, where you take the place of Captain Martin Walker, who is accompanied by his Delta team: Lieutenant Alphonso Adams and Sargent John Lugo, team that goes to Dubai in order to bring Colonel John Konrad back to the U.S.

During this story, you'll face a lot of difficult decisions, which will put your morals in play, "should I kill a
    civilian over a colleague from the army?" "Should I take revenge?" and it is all up to you, and your choices will decide how each "level" of the game goes, not significantly, but it'll change depending on your decisions.

If you like to get completely into a masterly crafted storyline, you definitely must play this game.
  34. Oct 20, 2013
    This game... this game... If you want to know what really happens during a war, play this game. Don't play the latest Call of Duty and think that is what happens during a war, this game shows you exactly what happens... and the consequences of war. As for game play, it's pretty difficult, even on Normal difficulty, you can die in about 5 or 6 shots, especially late-game where the enemies have extremely powerful weapons. Expand
  35. Oct 10, 2013
    A brilliant story and a visual treat, only to be hampered by linear not very great gallery shooting riddled with clunky mechanics such as cover system and problematic AI. Could be a greater experience if it was slightly more diverse and flexible and smoother overall features. None the less a decent experience.
  36. Oct 8, 2013
    suprb .........best gameplay best graphic best story line .........best third person shooter after long time.......max wepon choice .....and gameplay is some what gears of war..
  37. Oct 5, 2013
    One of the best modern shooters to come out this year, The plot is constantly keeping you guessing and the ending is very mind blowing. I expected this to be a general modern FPS but it completely blew away my expectations. Very well done.
  38. Sep 29, 2013
    Spec Ops: the Line really is something else but it mimics the mainstream mechanics so well that many players mistook it for yet another CoD clone and a below-average one at that gameplay-wise.

My opinion is a little biased because I've never played any Call of Duty, Battlefield, Army of Two, or other war simulators so many rehashed mechanics were quite new to me and I couldn't complain
    about the graphics either. But the beef of the game is not it's technical side, it's the storyline, the atmosphere, and the narrative.

I can confirm that SO:tL really is quite engaging but often simply not fun, curiously enough. While you explore the beautifully designed environments, the constant slaughter overlaid by a perfectly-fitting yet weirdly presented (via in-game radio broadcasting) soundtrack leaves you with the feeling that something is very off. For a good portion of the game you battle different people but you don't really know who they are. Then you realize that you don't really know why you're fighting them. Everything goes so weird that you don't really know why you do what you do and start wondering if the choices you make are really there or the game just drags you along to prove a point. Even the loading tips start changing slowly but surely from game hints to... something else.

The ending is close to flawless. I was not only surprised but also relieved that there really was a good reason for all the weirdness. SO:tL represents an excellent achievement through the combination of its setting, storyline, voice acting, graphics, mechanics, and atmosphere. It will keep you guessing, taking away the fun from the gameplay while holding you until the end. Or at least that happened to me and I fully appreciated it.

Give this game a shot, it might change your perception of the whole genre more than its technically superior counterparts ever could.
  39. Sep 25, 2013
    THE LONG AND THE SHORT OF IT. If you want a 3rd person shooter with great gameplay, mechanics, and an online experience play Gears of War. This game is all about the story, while GoW has a great story line, it does not leave you floored and questioning life, mortality, and morality quite like Spec Ops does. if you call yourself a gamer of any genre, this is a MUST; if you're an PvP bro, leave it alone. Expand
  40. Sep 19, 2013
    what a great storyline in a game. intersting concept somehow completely unfun but extremely brutal and exciting i hope jager will make a sequel. or something like it. great work.
  41. Sep 16, 2013
    I haven't tried the multiplayer or co-op campaigns, but the single-player campaign in Spec Ops: The Line is wonderful. The graphics are quite good, the story is amazing, the sounds are convincing, the controls are solid, and the weapons feel really powerful and are a pleasure to shoot. I understand that Call of Duty and its clones are falling out of fashion, but in terms of single-player this is a pretty good CoD clone and well worth checking out. Expand
  42. Sep 7, 2013
    I played the PC version. Standard third person 100% shooter where you're led by the nose between set pieces. You've seen it a hundred times before: you can take dozens of hits, the world consists of rows of waist-high cover, your health regenerates in seconds, the enemy respawns endlessly, yada yada yada. The graphics are par for the course, controls are awful, the story ridiculous.

If
    you like this type of game... well, shame on you, you're the reason PC games suck so badly nowadays. Expand
  43. Aug 28, 2013
    What can I say about this game. The gameplay was ok, though nothing we haven't seen in countless other shooters. What is super annoying however is the "America vs. the world" garbage found in so many games and movies nowadays. Right down to the guitar solo playing during the main menu I mean seriously, how cliché is that.

What a joke. Even for a free game, I'm still left feeling
    somehow ripped off. Expand
  44. Aug 23, 2013
    I shat bricks. Every developer should take note of this game. It changed the way first person shooters are judged as a whole. Just a heads up, this game is much more violent than the average 3rd person shooter (which is saying something).
  45. Aug 22, 2013
    Mediocre or worse in every department, INCLUDING the story. A so-called 'PC game' that feels so totally like it was made for a Playstation 2. A straightjacket of incredibly narrow spaces and choices. A 'Man's game with all men character's, unending-until-you-puke mach- monologuing by all the characters. Terrible camera. Terrible level design. Terrible shooting mechanics. Terrible cover. Terrible controls. Terrible 'moral choices'. The story is pumped full of overbearing male testosterone and its pretensions of moral depth are an exercise in vapid nihilism. Games like this are basically a waste of a time. Go for a walk in the park, read a book, see a concert, climb a mountain, drink with friends. Anything is better than this game. Compared to its genre competitiors, like 'Gears of War', 'Halo', 'Call of Duty', 'Battlefield' or Far Cry this game is complete garbage. An FPS game lives or dies according to its combat controls and these are easily the worst in that department in recent memory. 'Oh but you must play to the end, because the end redeems the horrible game' cry many reviewers. They lie. The journey is the destination. One would have to have a huge separation from the real world to find this story interesting. I'd rather play dating games with my gay squad members-Bioware style than endure another playthrough of this. To kill or not to kill? The answer won't be interesting if the question is not real. And its not real!

46. Aug 21, 2013
    This game is just poetry to me. So much good stuff to talk about here.
    The story and cinematography are the best aspect of the game: never I've been so attacked to a story (well, beside Telltale's Walking Dead) and Captain Walker is my second favourite video game character ever after John Marston: he starts out as a typical action hero, but in the end he changes a lot.
    The gameplay is
    not god-awful as many say: I love me some third-person shooters and I got a lot of enjoyment from this game.
    The replay value is pretty high: you may change some decision in the story, as well as seeing what happens with a different perspective. Plus, there is a co-op mode that is just amazing, with new maps to play with a friend. The multiplayer is okay, too bad not many people play it.
  47. Aug 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoyed this game. I'm not usually one for first third person shooters, but solidly enjoyed this. I got it as part of a pre-purchase of XCOM the Bureau, so was effectively free, and was pleasantly surprised. Although the mechanics were sometimes a little rough around the edges (ordering squad mates was not as intuitive or fleshed out as much as I would have liked), the story and dialogue kept me engaged. I really enjoyed the scenario and environment in this game, the sand storms and dunes made things interesting, and the movement between close indoors combat and outdoor combat, as well as lots of vertical movement and engagement, kept things fresh. This was really important to me, as in the end you are mainly fighting the same sort of troop again and again (though knives and shotguns would be pointed out to me by my squad mates they still just needed a few bullets to take down the biggest change in type would be heavies, which required a bit of work). The large range of scenarios for engaging these homogenous enemies made it feel fresh up until the end. The story was top notch, and was very happy with the ending I got (1 of 4 or 5 I think), with enough foreshadowing throughout that the twist seems legitimate and not out of the blue. I don't know if I enjoyed it enough to replay the whole thing through again, but I very much enjoyed the ~5 hours I put into it (again, it was free). Expand
  48. Aug 18, 2013
    Another typical garbage shooter, always need to be cowering behind cover, regenerating health, etc. Story was a change of pace, but I couldn't continue after the assault on Konrad's tower in the end. Having Lugo die, 2 machine gun turrets constantly onto you, being unable to get more ammo without getting shot, and taking even more damage than usual, just ruins what's left of this "game." Worthless modern shooter garbage, let it rot in the bargain bin and spend your money on something else. Expand
  49. Aug 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It has some unique storytelling elements which I have not yet seen in any game so far. Spec Ops: the line does throw some scenarios which really makes the player feel bad about himself.

An example of this scenario was when I was looking down at running soldiers, trying to sprint away from the bullets which I and my companions were haling down onto them. They just ran, for their lives. They did not try to stop me, fight me or otherwise hinder me. They just ran. This left me feeling bad about myself, unethical in a way, to shoot people who just are scared.

The games way of throwing these scenarios at the player is the strongest point in the game. The game does not stop, it just continues like nothing. If you accidentally shoot a running civilian, fine, the game does not pause, does not give you a "game over" status, it just continues, but it left me feeling bad, almost dirty.

Dialogue is, meh. It gets to many thrown in the soup sometimes. However the conflict between the players two sidekicks are sometimes interesting.

Controls are broken. It becomes clear that this is a lousy PC-Port. The developers decided to bind several functions to one button. While this is logical on a controller there is no reason to do this on a pc.
    Clunky is the word to describe it. I got me killed a couple of times.

The graphics are impressive, which is to be expected from an UE3 game. It is not bad looking at all, but it is neither as good as the very top of some other games like Crysis or Metro: last light.
    Most impressive is the sandstorms who occasionally whips up tons of sand around the player, obscuring his/hers vision.

If the graphics are good, the gameplay itself is not. Combine weak AI (standard rush to death pattern), uninteresting guns, bad controls and one or two to many office-buildings to traverse, it is monotonous and repetitive.

What really grinds me is how the developers are using scripted-events a little to often.

On one scenario I am walking through a huge pile of dead people, and the restrict my movement for no good reason. It is like they are trying to say

"Look how horrible this is"

Well, I could find that out myself, thanks.

Spec ops: the line sure has its great moments, but it is never fun to play it.
    It has interesting ideas, and executes those well, but otherwise, it fails.
  50. Aug 11, 2013
    Many games try to capture what it's like for soldiers on the battlefield but most fail utterly, this game does it spectacularly, along with awesome graphics and good game play mechanics this is highly recommended
  51. Aug 10, 2013
    Why people praise this game as a model of story telling and a critique of modern shooters is beyond me. The story is super linear and full of scripted events which present the illusion of player choice but are painfully transparent. And a critique this is not. Instead, Spec Ops The Line is full of every stereotype of modern shooters. You have a simple cover based mechanic, corridor level design even when outdoors, and while I admit the story had some surprising twists and memorable moments, it's all super predictable. Despite the short length I found myself wishing for it all to end so I could go play something else.

You have your standard military assault rifles and SMGs and the occasional grenade launcher or whatever. You have emplaced turrets that no console shooter would be without. You have rail segments where memorizing the pattern of enemies is the only way to survive. This game is shooter cliche central and NOT the masterpiece other user reviews present it to be.

Of course, no one is playing multiplayer anymore. If I had a dollar for every game this gen that tacked on multiplayer instead of creating a memorable and replayable singleplayer experience, I'd have a lot of dollars. Avoid this game unless you have a compulsion to play every shooter on the market.
  52. Aug 9, 2013
    So good. Best FPS I have played in awhile. Generic combat, but a great, tragic story. If you google the ending, you will want to replay the game and pick up on the subtle clues you missed. Deserves a better critic and review score
  53. Aug 7, 2013
    Although adding nothing new to the genre gameplay-wise this shooter is an outstanding piece of art when it comes to terms of story and picture.
    Yes, the graphics aren't topnotch but they are good, the AI is close to awful and the level-layout is pretty simple yet all this becomes insignificant when you get blown away by stunningly beautiful Levels (speaking of the crafted images not the
    layout) and a story so dark and moving that I just sat there staring at my monitor for what felt like minutes more than once.
    Spec Ops: The Line isn't by any means a great shooter yet it tells a unique story which makes a playthrough well worth your time.
  54. Aug 3, 2013
    spec ops the line has one of the most amazing stories in games although the gameplay is familiar cover and shoot but new mechanics like using the environment is really cool and your companions can be helpful although controls are frustrating sometimes but the story will keep you interested to the end and i enjoyed walking around Dubai it has a great environment and descent graphics in a nutshell spec ops has familiar game play but one of the most awesome stories you'll encounter Expand
  55. Aug 2, 2013
    Congratulations. This is one of the worst console ports that ever have been made. The gameplay is terrible. Sprint, cover and action use the same button
  56. Jul 29, 2013
    This is just a great game, with stunning visuals, great game-play and an innovative story for the genre. The ambience is breathtaking and you'll get glued playing for hours. Music is also very immersive and meshes extremely well with the style of the game. One of the best TPS out there.
  57. Jul 29, 2013
    A typical example of a "graphics don`t make a game". This is actually the 3rd game in the last 5 years I uninstalled before beating it. I got few hours into it before I could make final judgement. 3 hours into this and nothing new comes up anymore. Basicly it`s just a game of shootout cutscene shootout line. There is no variety with the shooting, the sceneries are blend and uncreative. The weapons are just fine, but there is too few of them to make a difference in game experience. Ammunition is VERY scarce, so the player often runs around with no ammo, even when he preserves it by scoring single shot headshots repeatedly. The player faces the same 3 vs hordes of AI shootouts which are just silly. The AI is stupid, the wingmen AI is even worse. There is a ton of cheap deaths caused by wingmen not covering you, out of ammo, being stuck in a map corner you thought was interactive. The controls are very simple yet often the player character does exactly the opposite you want him to. The two things in this game that stand out are the story and the graphics. Dialogues are nice, all 3 chars have their own personality. The city of Dubai looks epic, what goes on in its ashes is often brutal and sad. Make no mistake war is hell, as always. However, those good sides would make a good movie, but the game-side of this one is just poor and completely ruins the atmosphere. All in all a very frustrating experience for which good movie-like features of Spec Ops The Line simply do not compensate. 5 out of 10. Expand
  58. Jul 28, 2013
    When you go into the menu screen of spec ops the line you think that you are going to experience a very typical MMS. Patriotic American music, near post apocolipticish, and shooting brown people. But, you soon find that this is not a typical MMS. It is much darker. The game has a very dark story line about rouge 33rd battalion of US soldiers killing civilians in Dubai after a sand storm. You are a group of three men trying to rescue the civilians but by doing so you need to kill you own men, and the game makes you feel bad for it. Also, in one mission, you have to use napalm on the 33rd's soldiers because you would die if you didn't. But it turns out they were trying to help civilians and in bombing them you bomb innocent civilians. The game then makes you go and look at their mangled up burn corpses. I won't go any further as I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

Spec Ops: The Line is a game you experience rather than enjoy. If you enjoy this game you are most likely a psychopath and need to go and see a doctor.

Actual gameplay.

The gameplay in Spec ops: The Line is typical of any other shooter and lets the game down in many ways. Also the mouse acceleration is infuriating to the extent that I actually had to switch to an Xbox pad.
  59. Jul 23, 2013
    Well made shooter, but the story is not entertaining, it's disgusting in the most negative sense of the word. I stopped playing it and uninstalled it after a certain horrible scene. This is not how I want to spend my free time, however realistic it might be, if I wanted this I could turn on the news.

If you want to be forced to feel like crap for playing a FPS, get this. Otherwise get
    something else. Expand
  60. Jul 22, 2013
    Don't believe the hype about the story. The gameplay is alright I guess but nothing amazing. I guess if you thought Bioshock was deep you might get into this too...
  61. Jul 19, 2013
    If you're looking for a standard, third-person military shooter then you should skip Spec Ops.

OK, so all of the idiots are gone now right?

This game is a narrative masterpiece. It forces the player to make choices that are not only difficult, but so easy to mistake for the black and white linearity that is found in so many shooters today. This game is not only highly cerebral and
    thought-provoking, but it acts as a commentary on current and future gaming culture. Some of the scenes and images are difficult to stomach, but that's sort of the point of the game. Games like Call of Duty and Battlefield don't expose the player to the true horrors of war. They try to make a pretty shooting gallery to walk through while the player's internet service is down.

Spec Ops will challenge the way you think and the way you play games. This game was never intended to be "fun" in the traditional sense. Rather, it was created (IMHO) to force people who play these sort of games to sit down and really think about what it is they want from a game and why they feel the need to make the decisions they make. Spec Ops is both challenging and rewarding. Buy it.
  62. Jul 15, 2013
    One of the best games I've played in years!! The cover-based system is even more fun than Max Payne 3, and it also has auto-aim --which always makes the game a lot more fun and combats more spectacular, when using a game-pad.
  63. Jun 30, 2013
    At first glance, the game might seem to be another third person shooter clone, with nice cover mechanics, shooting mechanics, and gameplay mechanics, like the integration of sand into combat, but it is so much more than that. Quite honestly I picked up Spec Ops: The Line as a cheap sale on steam, expecting, like I said above, a generic third person shooter in a new environment. Starting off, the game sort of feels like a drag, same sort of characters you might find in a modern military shooter. Soon, though, I became attached to one character in particular: Lugo. No spoilers here, by the way. Anyhow, he seemed to genuinely care about what was going on in the environment. Basically, all the characters soon did. The way you face the problems of war, and soon the even deeper underlying problems that unmask themselves as you move into the 12th and 13th chapters, unlike any other soldier you might have suited up as in any other FPS or TPS, is genuinely refreshing, interesting, and furthermore makes the game a completely unique title. Like many other great titles, it has an awesome ending, and builds up very well in the meantime.
    Story-wise, this game is great. Something that'll keep you thinking, especially after you've made your choices. Like so many other games that allow you to make a major choice and influence the ending and development of the story, you begin to wonder: "did I make the right choice?" Often times, this causes you to be involved in the story they've placed you in, and furthermore causes you to honestly enjoy (or sometimes, in this case, not enjoy) what you're playing and watching. 10/10
    Graphics-wise, this game is gorgeous, save a few texture effects that seem a tad low budget. Other than that, the engine truly shines, masking the terrible destruction Dubai has undergone. It makes the buildings look wonderful and the destruction look real. 9/10
    Sound-wise, this game really knows how to place the music. The soundtrack included in the game is played at all the right moments, especially around the ending. On top of that, the noise and effects are genuinely special, sounding real and effective. Furthermore, the voice acting is top-tier and sounds very real. 9/10
    Gameplay-wise, this game could use some help. As I said, when you begin playing, it seems very generic, basically, because it is. It's a very generic shooter, on top of the fact that the controls are out of place. I mean, "space" to run? Who thought of that? However, the gameplay mechanics orchestrated in each fight are genuinely fun to play with, and tend to bring some originality and light to the otherwise dusty and unoriginal style of play. 7/10

This game isn't about a war, shooting up bad guys, or being the hero. A lot of times, it's about you, your team, and the choices you make. Furthermore, it's a game that looks deeply into being the bad guy at times. It looks into emotional appeal of the gamer, and really hits home. There is a multiplayer inclusion of Spec Ops: The Line, but to put it bluntly, it's lame, not fun, and might ruin the experience you have with this otherwise legendary game. Stay away from the multiplayer. Only other criticism is: it's short. I covered the story on "Suicide Mission" difficulty in 4 hours (or so Steam says.) However, I'd say the story is replayable, as long as you don't mind trudging through the sloppy controls again.

Overall, I rate this game a 9/10 Legendary game with a great story. Definitely worth buying.
  64. Jun 27, 2013
    I read about this game a long time ago and finally decided to buy it a few months ago when it was on sale. I must say, I am impressed by it. The gameplay is not unique in any aspect but fairly satisfying, graphics are really nice but what was seriously positive is the story. This game made me think about the topic of war a lot more than games like Call of Duty do. This is really a game that I will remember for a long time even though I doubt I will replay much of it. Expand
  65. Jun 23, 2013
    Zero effort console port, did not finish.

As a matter of fact I quit playing ten seconds into the game when I realized I couldn't disable the fake dof.

I flatly refuse to play such drivel
  66. Jun 11, 2013
    If you like are ever played Gear of war then this gam has some thing to offer you .
    One of the most underrated games of the past few years just because of the not so good MP they were forced to add. And a lot of people don't like the Anti War and anti American politics in the game

Game is all about single player which is very good, Great fire fights and games graphics are very good
    along with a good story .You can pick this up cheap not and its well worth it Expand
  67. Jun 9, 2013
    Didn't play many TPS games before..so the gameplay and the control of this game seemed OK to me..I don't know whether it was too bad or not comparing to other games..but Gears of War is better than this one..However, the plot of this game is absolutely outstanding..Want to know what will you become in some extreme situations such as in a war? Play this one..
  68. May 21, 2013
    +Lots of action
    +Great story that manages to make you feel guilty, no game to date has made me feel that, even if I could find one, it probably wouldn't have the kind of impact we here
    +Characters are pretty fitting, its nice to see even the comic relief becomes more serious & nervous as the game starts to turn awry.
    +Good use of "Nowhere To Run" by Martha and the Vandellas
    +realistic
    with the damage characters build on their body over time, and deteriotation of the teams morale
    -by the end you feel as broken and exhausted as the main character.
    -wonky cover mechanics, where a hit and miss 1/5th of the time
    -gameplay mechanics leave a bit to be desired, but there are some sections that break up what up the norm, helicopter ride, sandstorms, launching artillery. Environmental based deaths are to situational and cheap.

This game is going to have a special place for me in terms of stories, it's like the video game version of a popular Vietnam movie we never had, except set in Dubai. You know if its based on something that it's going to be good in capable hands.
  69. May 19, 2013
    I thoroughly enjoyed this game. Story is fantastic, game play is only average. It ends up being repetitive as do most cover+fire games. The story holds the game together and will have you wanting to play more despite the lackluster game mechanics. Definitely not worth full price, but should be a future purchase none the least.
  70. May 18, 2013
    Grossly underestimated masterpiece with solid fighting mechanics and a gripping story that ties you along. One of the testaments of the video gaming industry coming to a maturity regarding war games. It might need some tweaking with the mouse acceleration bug, but it's easily fixable in a few minutes.
  71. May 12, 2013
    Single player review only

To me, this game is one of my highlights from 2012. The mature, provocative nature of the storyline and characters sees you and your team go through some of the most disturbing horrors of war. There are moments in Spec Ops that make you feel hate like nothing I’ve experienced before. The feeling of loss and the moments for grieving that last all but minutes are
    true to the nature of war and the theme is therefore executed brilliantly with attention to details you may not notice on your first play through. The storyline is the stand out feature with it closely following the short novel “Heart of Darkness” written by Joseph Conrad. If you haven’t read or heard of “Heart of Darkness”, you will be in for a treat playing through the singer player campaign.

The core mechanics of Spec Ops feature a 3rd person perspective with everything working very well. The cover system which has you popping out and picking off enemies with ease is a joy to use (mainly because it works, unlike RE: Operation Raccoon City). There is also a blind fire option which was valuable during my play through on Fubar difficulty. The guns feel nice with a good selection on offer which all boasts secondary firing options. I felt very at home with the mechanics on offer and felt that, although they were not revolutionary, they worked well and felt tight which therefore lead to no moments of gaming frustration.

Graphically, the game looks beautiful on the highest settings on PC. Some nice special effects are on offer and you feel fully immersed in the city of Dubai. Although the engine is dated and the game falls short compared to games such as Crysis 3 and Tomb Raider, Spec Ops features impeccable level design that is linear offering only a single pathway to complete levels; but it works because the world you are lead through offers a unique amount of detail and situations that keep it feeling fresh and engaging.

In conclusion, this game is well worth the purchase. The game can be picked up cheaply now and serves as excellent value for money if you can get it for under £10. Featuring some of the darkest story telling depicted in games and a conclusion that will stick with you long after playing (this does depend on how engross you are playing games) the game is a must buy for fans of story driven third person shooters looking for something that excites on a very mature level.

Spec Ops gets a brilliant 9/10.
  72. May 11, 2013
    I am not into military shooters, but I really enjoy playing spec ops. The action is great, visuals are decent as well, They could of added alittle more detail. Voice acting is professional, the characters sound great!
    Buy this game!
  73. May 9, 2013
    Seriously, who cares about the mediocre gameplay. It's only there to tell a horrific story of violence and madness. Play it as the modern classic it is.
  74. May 6, 2013
    Simply an amazing game. Spec Ops: The Line offers high end, fast paced action game play to the player. If you're in it for the story, then this game will give it to you. If you're in it for the game play and mechanics, well...then this is just your average shooter. Overall, I'd say stick to enjoying the story line. It clearly shows that the devs have put a lot of time and effort into crafting such an intense story. It really hits you in the gut at some points in the game. It is not for the weak hearted because there are a lot of disturbing elements that drive you to the edge of your seat. (I won't give any spoilers however).

As for the game play mechanics, it may not be the best engine used in the world, giving it's only unreal 3, but it is your average low end 'Gears of War' or Ghost Recon Future Soldier.' Main guns are typically the ones used in every military shooter, but why else must you complain? It's post apocalyptic modern military warfare. All in all, great game for what it is. Definitely worth a shot playing it. It will surely leave you questioning, what you just played.
  75. May 6, 2013
    Incredible game, I had heard awful things before buying on steam for $8, but this game has blown me away. The story locked me in from the very beginning. Stories really cannot be more under rated now-a-days as most gameplay seems to be discarded for graphics and dlc
  76. May 6, 2013
    Very fun game, great history, keeps you entertained, you want to keep playing to find what's coming next.

I have no issues with gameplay, its pretty fun to me.

Only reason I don't give a 9 or 10 is because of the miserable console port....
  77. May 5, 2013
    Spec Ops: The Line is a psychological deconstruction of the shooter genre masquerading as a third person shooter with mediocre mechanics. I don't want to go into too much depth talking about the story, but it's very, very dark, and very, very good. Level design and atmosphere are top notch, but the shooting, controls and weapons are awkward leave a lot to be desired. The shooting portions seem to drag on even though you can complete it in about 5-6 hours, and I guess there's an obligatory multiplayer mode too. Don't get this game to shoot stuff, get it because of the story. Expand
  78. May 4, 2013
    In a field overly saturated how does one shooter stand out against another? In Spec Ops The Line the addictive story is what makes it stand out above the rest. Too long have I been bombarded with over the top cool ads for the latest Call of Duty Zombie Warfare 10 with extra death on the side, it’s all too much. I don’t pretend that CoD 4 didn’t in some way however small or large revolutionise or more rather galvanise the market, I’d be a fool to deny that since CoD 4 I have noticed a large increase in the amount of shooter’s, which isn’t necessarily good for Gaming in general. If we want to be taken as serious people with a love of a hobby we shouldn’t turn to behemoths such as CoD where human beings are ripped up with machine gun fire and dismembered with motor fire. Such games are the Fast Food equivalent of the Games industry, sure it may be nice but it’s not good for you and it lacks sufficient sustenance.
    However as I said Spec Ops The Line manages to keep above the tidal wave of, when you actually think about it, poorly written games or just straight up plain violence for violence sake. For me Spec Ops The Line asked one major question and its one that has been rattling around my brain when it comes to shooter’s: How do you live with the actions you take?
    It’s interesting, think about most of the games that are sold en mass to the general market, not the people who have a love and passion for games who dig deep to find that one indie game that speaks volumes to them. No, I mean the incredibly popular mainstream titles where, if you dare to go online, you get abused by Bro’s or a 12 year old with a surprisingly colourful vocabulary. So with those games in mind, I’ve often thought these are characters that are, I imagine in some cases, loved. These are men that shoot and kill vast amounts of people and overcome incredible odds and they just shrug it off. These are meant to be people with real feelings and emotions, not blank, impersonal drones with a gun in hand.
    Spec Ops The Line follows 3 men as they are sent into Dubai to find an old friend of the protagonist who was originally sent in to evacuate survivors of a terrible storm that ravaged Dubai’s beautiful landscape and skyline. You play Captain Walker a man with a mysterious past in Kabul where he met your target Konrad, a celebrated War Hero. Through some initially confusing story you begin to discover what happened here in Dubai, all is not well as 2 factions’ war it out against each other (and you) and through it all a crazed DJ plays tracks like its Vietnam 2.
    Even in a linear game such as SOTL it offers choices to the player, choices that at the end are reflected upon and for good reason, because of the question it askes. How do these men whose jobs are to kill upon command survive what they encounter, or even do they? The player gets a feel for how maybe the command you’re given isn’t the command that you should carry out, this becomes especially clear as you progress through the game and through the actions you make. It is because of the actions you make and how you’re 2 man squad reacts that give the player a true immersion, on a personal note I had to pause the game at several crucial moments to decide what I should do, is there a right and wrong here? Does the easy way ever meet with the right way of doing things?
    If like me you get swooped up in the story you may find the loading screens become more eerie. It’s one of the many minor things that I love about this game and that is the game itself askes questions of you and prompts you with things like “Can you even remember why you came here?” “You are still a good person” “Do you feel like a hero yet?” and also “This is all your fault”. People have incorrectly called this taunting, but I feel it’s supposed to make you think about not necessarily the genre of games that people just seem to buy into but also the real life actions of people who do this and as a result end up with PTSD.
    Now I’ve love to say more, it’s been a while since I’ve played a game and truly couldn’t get enough of it, and with a story that has many layers and possible choices to take, it’s definitely worthy of more than one play through, but I feel if I write much more I’d give away some major points.
    A little tip though, if you want the most from the game, unlock the FUBAR setting (never has this acronym felt so appropriate) and play through it, sure it’s harder but as I just said, the loading screens can get eerie and give you some sort of insight. Now I’m off to play some more. Cheers for reading.
    Cheers for reading, for more reviews see willza99.wordpress.com
  79. May 3, 2013
    Outstanding story, presentation and voice-work that is unfortunately brought down by mediocre, generic third person gunplay with clunky controls all wrapped up with repetitive level design. Spec Ops: The Line could've been so much more but ultimately, it's a decent, satisfactory shooter that'll entertain if you're sick of FPS titles and crave something a little different.
  80. Apr 30, 2013
    spec-ops the line is overall a good game but a lot of the time your really bored from the uninspired story and gameplay. the gameplay in this game is boring. from a gameplay perspective it doesnt do anything new. the controls are a bit weird as well.
    the story isnt particularly bad, but it really generic in the first half of the game. the game starts good, and the dubai concept is cool,
    but then it gets bad and boring. after the first half though things start to get better. the story gets really deep, mature and touching. the story turns epic in the second half. so overall the story is good but it takes time untill you get there. the game also has player choice which make it really good. the game shows you the consequinces of your actions,even if they are bad(which makes the game much more mature and good)
    if you want a mature game that takes you seriously and shows you the consequinces of your actions, then you should buy this game. just expect few boring hours along the way.
  81. Apr 26, 2013
    The game is good, it's well made and it's visually stunning. But this pales compared to the actual experience of the GAME itself. The story and the way it is presented are a testimony that the game industry matures. Comparing this game to others is like comparing "The Shawshank Redemption" to the early black and white comedies. I really find it hard to express the depth of it and what a thought provoking experience it is. Expand
  82. Apr 17, 2013
    Yes, I am late to the party, but I want my two cents worth.
    On face value, The Line isn't much.
    A stock standard, overly-macho, cover-based military shooter that will only excite the imagination of those who do not understand what makes a game good.
    This is not the case. What is really inside is possibly the most poignant and emotionally affecting plot I have ever experienced in a game.
    And I love it.
    Admittedly, the gameplay isn't much. On that front is relatively what you expect. Bad guy in front of you, kill him. Lots of bad guys in front of you, duck into cover and kill them, but not before a bit of fiddly negotiating with the cover system. This game is made for controller, but it is still easy enough to play with key board and mouse.
    The AI tend to overwhelm you with sheer numbers rather than outthink you, but this only a minor niggle, and if you're playing at a harder difficulty you'll be too busy kicking yourself for dying again to criticise their semi-suicidal behaviour.
    Graphically speaking, it wasn't jarring. The lighting was fine and I only spotted the occasional low-res texture (during gameplay that is, the cutscenes were riddled with them). Character detail was mildly fantastic, and Nolan North and Co. did a top-notch job with voices. Level design could have been better, but nothing felt too linear, and there were only a few vehicle sections which were really not too shabby in execution. Overall the gameplay presented about as much depth as one could expect from a linear shooter.

But were it not for the plot, I probably would not have bothered finishing this game.
    The thing that impressed me most about the plot is the connection it creates between the game and the player. Many games choose to have a silent protagonist in order to have the player imprint themselves on the protagonists identity. Yet The Line has an incredibly vocal main character and still I found I started to see a lot of myself in him. This is probably due to responsibility The Line forces you to take. Without giving too much away, I will say the game puts you in a few situations where you may hate yourself for the outcome you chose. The brutality of some of these moments are brilliantly portrayed, and there is one infamous moment in the game that distressed me so much I exited and did not play it again for a few weeks. The gigantic waves of enemies that you will eliminate unthinkingly throughout the game may seem out of place at first, but by the end their purpose is blindingly clear.
    The thoughts that The Line will plant in your head are disturbing, exhilarating, and nothing short of a gust of fresh air in terms of plot themes.
    And if you are somehow not convinced about the astounding depth of The Line, know this.
    A man by the name of Brendan Keogh wrote a 50,000 word critical analysis of the game. 50,000 words.

And the reason why I have given it 10 is because I do not acknowledge the multiplayer as part of the game. If you don't know the meaning of the words "tacked-on", play the multiplayer of The Line.
  83. Apr 13, 2013
    Spec Ops: The Line is a 3rd person modern military shooter. I know what you're thinking, "another generic shooter". Yes, the game follows the established pattern of big explosions and cinematics, but its done in an entertaining manner. Where the game really comes to life is in the narrative and the cast. If you don't mind trudging through a scripted shooter for a great story, then I would recommend this game to you. I finished it on "insane" in about 6 hours. So it is fairly short, but worth the entertainment if it is on steam sale or bundled with another game. Expand
  84. Apr 12, 2013
    A high quality title in every sense. Controls are excellent even on the PC version, gameplay is solid, has a good story and on highest settings it's one of the most graphically vibrant games. The lighting is better than Battlefield 3 (and certainly the best lighting of any third-person game), textures are crisp, facial detail is excellent and it's not too demanding. Not only does the game look great, it plays well too. Think of it as a military Gears of War with more realistic story, characters & context. This is undoubtedly amongst the greatest third-person shooters on PC. It lacks in innovation and doesn't do anything particularly interesting or new, but it's a great game. One thing to be wary of is that although it's a story-heavy game, it isn't well-explained and can be hard to follow. Even if you don't understand what's going on though, it's still a good story regardless because of the way it's presented and paced. Multiplayer is not even worth considering, since there's nobody playing it online. It's a good job all achievements for the game are offline! Expand
  85. Apr 4, 2013
    Spec Ops: The Line is not a fun game, but it is perhaps the finest example of a drama video game. Without spoiling anything the game is somewhat bland until the main character unwittingly does a bad thing. If you go into playing Spec Ops: The Line with the mindset that it is a run of the mill shooter you will be disappointing, but if you play it looking for a game that's story is both gripping and thought provoking try this out. I do not give Spec Ops a 10 because it is fun, but because it deserves it. Expand
  86. Apr 2, 2013
    One of the best games I've played: breathtaking plot (4 alternative endings and the story itself are so deep), top-notch graphic, superb control (idk about others i play the game on 32" screen with XBOX joypad), mesmerizing ost all this makes the game one of my favorite!
    I stumbled on the game while looking for smth similar to another brilliant game "Binary Domain", first I watched a
    good review, than I was glad to see there's a demo tried it and after that I was totally in love with the game and decided to buy it.
    Now I am on my second round of completing the game it's so cool and interesting that I can't stop playing it. Thx Yager for such a brilliant game! I'd wish nowadays game were more like this one.
  87. Mar 28, 2013
    Perhaps containing one of the best storyline in gaming, Spec Ops the line is an experience that comes along extremely rarely and is a must have. While the gameplay admittedly falls flat and fails to be anything revolutionary, the Heart of Darkness inspired story really shines though with its themes and inglorious war and really gives you an emotional experience as you witness the slow spiral down Walker experiences though the game. Expand
  88. Mar 16, 2013
    Fun game. The story didn't impress me too much but gameplay was fun. Only eight hours is a little bit short, and multiplayer is bad but you should give it a try.
  89. Mar 7, 2013
    If you are still on the fence about this one, wait no more and buy it.
    This was for me one of the best games i've played in 2012 and one of the most underrated too.

Storyline is fantastic and quite a (in a good way), i think you'll enjoy it. The voiceacting is perfect (Nolan North, a.k.a Nathan Drake from Uncharted).
    The gameplay is good, a little repetitive but not a big problem.

Visually amazing and Dubai looks incredible in this game, even if it is in ruins and covered in Sands. :p
  90. Mar 5, 2013
    Anyone who reads this and has yet to play this game needs to correct that ASAP. This kind of experience comes extremely rare in video games and quite frankly that needs to be fixed. I will admit that the gameplay itself could probably have been better. Either though giving your squad mates more options for u to take advantage off or making them more useful overall by improving their AI so as to make them more than distractions.

In conclusion if u want a excellent or at least different story that would make up for the average gameplay then go for it. Also that aspect alone makes it a 10 for me personally.
  91. Feb 19, 2013
    This game is worth playing for the story. If you can get this game for a few dollars, play it on easy mode and you can blast through the campaign in about 4 hours. But it's definitely worth experiencing. Gameplay is nothing special but they definitely got a great story in this game.
  92. Feb 19, 2013
    Before you read the following, remember this: the games story IS incredible and mature. Basicly, the games gameplay is awful. It is a worse version of gears of war, but with tons of massive difficulty spikes that cause frustration. It is the frustrating at points, I ended up shoving a gamepad (gamepad controls ARE worse, the people are just retarded) and turning aim assist and easy mode on (aim assist seems broken with mouse and keyboard) because even tho I am a good gamer, the difficulty is just BS at points. The story however is great, starting off by appearing to be a generic shooter story, it quickly progresses into a very dark story which constantly makes you second guess your actions. And aside from one point, the main character does not seem to just randomly do something evil to give this feeling, it feels very realistic, and gritty. The story is based loosely off heart of darkness, and I have heard from people that you will guess the shock twist if you have read it. But if you havn't, it is VERY shocking but makes sense. Basicly, I recomend either rent the console version, or buy it when you can get it for cheap, since the gameplay sucks. Oh, and the multiplayer is god awful, don't take it into account. Expand
  93. Feb 15, 2013
    This game takes the generic shooter game and turns it on it's head. An amazing story sets the pace with many unexpected twists and turns. This game not only critiques the genre of shooters it even leaves you, the player with a greater perspective with gaming. However it does come with it's faults which is specifically the way it handles combat and ai systems. This can be discounted though as it critiquing the shooter genre and tricking you into thinking this is an ordinary game. Despite all odds this game has detoured away from the Call of Duty shooter that we know today and set things straight. Expand
  94. Feb 9, 2013
    An average game. Not a masterpiece, but actually a good game. This game has a good story (not so great or impressive as someone says), but sometimes seems to be a little confused. The graphic is not bad but also not great, just average and functional. The sound is maybe the worst part of the game. Weapon sounds are too dull and quiet. The soundtrack is anonymous and banal with only the US anthem that "stands out". Gameplay works good, but the game as some annoying bugs, like the stupid penetration of some surfaces (sometimes you can be hit also if are beyond a concrete wall), and there is a unresolved bug about sound in cutscenes.
    In the end, is a good game, worth money if you buy it for less than 15€. Sometimes frustrating, but is a good game.
  95. Feb 4, 2013
    Positives: Storyline and some of the choices are very good, not excellent. No other positives.

Negatives: Controls are terrible!!! I've never seen so many buttons to do stupid things. Also, some buttons don't respond when you press them. Programming is shotty as getting the first shot on an enemy does nothing some of the time; absolutely horrible. Achievements or buildups to
    achievements are just given at random.

I am very disappointed with this game. I want my money and my time back.
  96. Feb 2, 2013
    I am a veteran shooter player, and Spec Ops: The Line gave me an unexpectedly psychological/emotional journey. For this reason more than any other I would highly recommend all military shooter fans to play it. Finishing Spec Ops made me realize how series like Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, and Battlefield have utterly dumbed down the psychological aspect of warfare. Spec Ops puts you through some crazy and while the gameplay is enjoyable the overall game's story experience is most definitely one of psychological discomfort. I don't see this is a failure, since there are already too many feel-good games out there; I am not dissing those games either, just making the point that as serious adult gamers we do need to get an experience like Spec Ops.

Lately there has been a lot of debate about whether violent games cause real world violence. Again as a veteran gamer I think this is a nonsense argument, it is guns in the hands of insane people who cause the problems. But for anyone who think games glorify killing and violence, they need to have a look at Spec Ops The Line.

So, story-wise and character-wise the game is extremely good, gunplay-wise I'd rate is good but not great. I generally prefer first-person to third-person combat, but I understand that in a story-focused game the developer may want to present the game from a more cinematic perspective. However I would still have vastly preferred the ability to use ironsights on all the guns, third-person combat at all times (except for the rare scoped guns) made for inaccurate shooting way too often, where you rely on the gun's random accuracy to hit the enemies. Greater accuracy (that would be afforded through iron-sights coupled with smart burst-firing) would have made the often-tough battles more manageable.

I would give the game a 10 if the combat were fixed (aiming down ironsights allowed on all guns), so overall its an 9 for me.
  97. Jan 30, 2013
    At first I tried the demo. It was a pleasure to play with, I felt it very unique, so I bought it.
    I like it for it's big open Dubai maps, story, gameplay, cutscenes, 3rd person view, variety of guns, graphics, it's worth for me. Unreal engine is okay, it's beautiful and fast.
    I do not like it for it is very heartbreaking scenes.
  98. Jan 30, 2013
    I played the first few levels of this, up to a point where a civilian dressed in a burqa ran into my line of fire and I accidentally shot her. The game had been heavy-handedly building up the civilian tragedy aspect and the justifications for this sort of thing happening - but it seemed completely out of character for the morally ambiguous protagonist to yak on and on in the cut scenes about stuff like how "it's okay not to follow orders if we can save an American life" and then not have anything at all to say for himself after mowing down an innocent woman with a machine gun. And I was left thinking "oh well, I guess that probably happens all the time in Iraq" - and decided I had probably felt guiltier the first time I ran over a pedestrian in Grand Theft Auto.

The gameplay mechanics are atrocious - there are no consequences for getting shot so long as you can hide behind a conveniently placed rock for a few seconds until the bloodstains clear from the side of the screen. Red Steel on the Wii (!!!) had a similar depth of realism and tactics. It's completely linear - the guns all feel and sound the same - which is a complete mistake in the case of the AK47 and M14.

A rail-shooter is pretty much the last sort of game that should take on moral questions.
  99. Jan 27, 2013
    This game has, unlike other shooters, a very strong story in the campaign. The voice acting is fabulous, the art style is excellent, the sound is amazing. I have yet to try the coop and the multi-player but I thoroughly enjoyed the campaign. My only issue was the length - completed it in around 11.5 hours. It has some replay value since the game does alter with the decisions you make. And although the campaign was short, I am at a loss as to how you could have extended it without making it laborious. Since I picked it up on sale for $7.69 you really can't go wrong! Expand
  100. Jan 26, 2013
    The game mechanics in this game is severely flawed! I don't care how good the story is, the moment to moment gameplay is a torture. Who the f though binding the sprint, cover, and action button to the same key is a good idea?! I died countless times snapping into cover when trying to run away (and you get shot in cover too!). This game is a broken pos hiding behind it's story. AVOID!
  101. Apr 30, 2013

1. Oct 13, 2012
    Spec Ops: The Line tries new and interesting ground on storytelling, but falls short on the action department. Still, it's worth playing through for the atmosphere and few different endings alone. [Aug 2012]
  2. Aug 31, 2012
    Were it not for some technical issues and console-related shortcomings (gamepad controls and no anti-aliasing), Spec Ops: The Line would be one of the best games for 2012. But, things being as they are, it remains merely a diamond in the rough, destined for wicked crazy status within the following years. Definitely superior to the related series of Kane & Lynch, it proves that, with a steady vision and soul, a genre so clichéd like military shooters, can not only surprise us pleasantly, but totally overwhelm us. [August 2012]
    Expectations were greater than game could have achieved. Yet the new Spec Ops game is a good excuse to stay home and play. [Issue#220]