Spec Ops: The Line PC

8.2

1. May 6, 2013
    Very fun game, great history, keeps you entertained, you want to keep playing to find what's coming next.

I have no issues with gameplay, its pretty fun to me.

Only reason I don't give a 9 or 10 is because of the miserable console port....
  2. Dec 21, 2013
    This game was a pleasant surprise. The story, gameplay, character development, graphics, and decision making are great. Another hit from 2K. Highly recommend.
  3. Jan 12, 2013
    I shall list some good and bad points about this game. First of all, the gameplay, the cover mechanics are average, however, the game does have some really nice slow motion effects in the gun-play. I wouldn't exactly call it bullet time, because there is not that much of it. For instance, after shooting an enemy in the head the game will go in slow motion for about one or two seconds. TheI shall list some good and bad points about this game. First of all, the gameplay, the cover mechanics are average, however, the game does have some really nice slow motion effects in the gun-play. I wouldn't exactly call it bullet time, because there is not that much of it. For instance, after shooting an enemy in the head the game will go in slow motion for about one or two seconds. The graphics are really nice, but if the game had anti-aliasing they would look a lot better! In the game you can make choices, however they do not have a big effect on the game. The storyline is very good, but some people may find it a little confusing. One of my MAJOR criticism's of this game is the fact that the gameplay time is only FOUR HOURS! (the campaign) Sure, you can replay it to experience the effect of different choices, but it's four hours! The multiplayer certainly isn't this game's strong point, as it is quite bad to be perfectly honest. With all of these points taken into consideration, I believe this game deserves a 7/10. Expand
  4. May 12, 2013
    Single player review only

Single player review only

To me, this game is one of my highlights from 2012. The mature, provocative nature of the storyline and characters sees you and your team go through some of the most disturbing horrors of war. There are moments in Spec Ops that make you feel hate like nothing I’ve experienced before. The feeling of loss and the moments for grieving that last all but minutes are true to the nature of war and the theme is therefore executed brilliantly with attention to details you may not notice on your first play through. The storyline is the stand out feature with it closely following the short novel “Heart of Darkness” written by Joseph Conrad. If you haven’t read or heard of “Heart of Darkness”, you will be in for a treat playing through the singer player campaign.

The core mechanics of Spec Ops feature a 3rd person perspective with everything working very well. The cover system which has you popping out and picking off enemies with ease is a joy to use (mainly because it works, unlike RE: Operation Raccoon City). There is also a blind fire option which was valuable during my play through on Fubar difficulty. The guns feel nice with a good selection on offer which all boasts secondary firing options. I felt very at home with the mechanics on offer and felt that, although they were not revolutionary, they worked well and felt tight which therefore lead to no moments of gaming frustration.

Graphically, the game looks beautiful on the highest settings on PC. Some nice special effects are on offer and you feel fully immersed in the city of Dubai. Although the engine is dated and the game falls short compared to games such as Crysis 3 and Tomb Raider, Spec Ops features impeccable level design that is linear offering only a single pathway to complete levels; but it works because the world you are lead through offers a unique amount of detail and situations that keep it feeling fresh and engaging.

In conclusion, this game is well worth the purchase. The game can be picked up cheaply now and serves as excellent value for money if you can get it for under £10. Featuring some of the darkest story telling depicted in games and a conclusion that will stick with you long after playing (this does depend on how engross you are playing games) the game is a must buy for fans of story driven third person shooters looking for something that excites on a very mature level.

Spec Ops gets a brilliant 9/10.
  5. Sep 29, 2013
    Spec Ops: the Line really is something else but it mimics the mainstream mechanics so well that many players mistook it for yet another CoD clone and a below-average one at that gameplay-wise.

My opinion is a little biased because I've never played any Call of Duty, Battlefield, Army of Two, or other war simulators so many rehashed mechanics were quite new to me and I couldn't complain about the graphics either. But the beef of the game is not it's technical side, it's the storyline, the atmosphere, and the narrative.

I can confirm that SO:tL really is quite engaging but often simply not fun, curiously enough. While you explore the beautifully designed environments, the constant slaughter overlaid by a perfectly-fitting yet weirdly presented (via in-game radio broadcasting) soundtrack leaves you with the feeling that something is very off. For a good portion of the game you battle different people but you don't really know who they are. Then you realize that you don't really know why you're fighting them. Everything goes so weird that you don't really know why you do what you do and start wondering if the choices you make are really there or the game just drags you along to prove a point. Even the loading tips start changing slowly but surely from game hints to... something else.

The ending is close to flawless. I was not only surprised but also relieved that there really was a good reason for all the weirdness. SO:tL represents an excellent achievement through the combination of its setting, storyline, voice acting, graphics, mechanics, and atmosphere. It will keep you guessing, taking away the fun from the gameplay while holding you until the end. Or at least that happened to me and I fully appreciated it.

Give this game a shot, it might change your perception of the whole genre more than its technically superior counterparts ever could.
  6. Aug 13, 2012
    a beautiful, brutal surprise of a game.

a beautiful, brutal surprise of a game.

immaculately detailed environments draw you in to the game's world, but its the story that will leave the most lasting impression. it's a breath of fresh air to encounter a game that approaches modern combat from moral 'other side': examining the horror and confusion - the fog of war - through the eyes of one soldier attempting, and ultimately failing, to make sense of it all from within the thick of it. if call of duty is equivalent to 'black hawk down', then this game is 'apocalypse now' (and in fact draws inspiration from the same novel, 'heart of darkness'). certainly not a perfect game (enemy AI is weak, gunplay can get a bit repetitive), but it's so bold, daring and risky an attempt one can't help but applaud the effort.
  7. Nov 20, 2012
    Mature single player game with fantastic smooth graphics and unique shooter gameplay. We need more shooters like this and less of the same old formula other companies are churning out. For a shooter with a story, albeit a dark one, look no further than Spec Ops:The Line.
  8. Oct 2, 2016
    If you want to feel smart without the effort, and also blab about how underated this vastly overated turd is, then by all means play this game. But I can sum it up for you pretty quickly, killing is bad and will hurt the poor little soldiers feelings.
  9. Nov 21, 2012
    This game is AMAZING. The story is very captivating and very exciting. I can say without a doubt that Spec Ops: The Line is the best video game I've ever played, and I've played many games. The graphics are amazing, and the best I've ever seen. I strongly recommend this game to everyone.
  10. Jul 28, 2013
    When you go into the menu screen of spec ops the line you think that you are going to experience a very typical MMS. Patriotic American music, near post apocolipticish, and shooting brown people. But, you soon find that this is not a typical MMS. It is much darker. The game has a very dark story line about rouge 33rd battalion of US soldiers killing civilians in Dubai after a sand storm.When you go into the menu screen of spec ops the line you think that you are going to experience a very typical MMS. Patriotic American music, near post apocolipticish, and shooting brown people. But, you soon find that this is not a typical MMS. It is much darker. The game has a very dark story line about rouge 33rd battalion of US soldiers killing civilians in Dubai after a sand storm. You are a group of three men trying to rescue the civilians but by doing so you need to kill you own men, and the game makes you feel bad for it. Also, in one mission, you have to use napalm on the 33rd's soldiers because you would die if you didn't. But it turns out they were trying to help civilians and in bombing them you bomb innocent civilians. The game then makes you go and look at their mangled up burn corpses. I won't go any further as I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

Spec Ops: The Line is a game you experience rather than enjoy. If you enjoy this game you are most likely a psychopath and need to go and see a doctor.

Actual gameplay.

The gameplay in Spec ops: The Line is typical of any other shooter and lets the game down in many ways. Also the mouse acceleration is infuriating to the extent that I actually had to switch to an Xbox pad.
  11. Jul 22, 2014
    A 9/10 because of the gameplay, which is pretty standard. But don't play it because of the gameplay, play it for the story, which is downright amazing, I won't spoil anything, but just take me by my word. If you play it on normal difficulty, it should only take you about 5-6 hours to beat, but you'll probably play it again just to understand the story better.
  12. Jul 7, 2014
    This is a game that once you've finished it the first time, you will not want to play again because you won't feel good about the killing anymore. So zero replay value due to the emotional effect it has on you. But, that first time through, damn what an experience. It's like a really good, horrifying war movie. If it was a movie you could watch it over and over because you are not the oneThis is a game that once you've finished it the first time, you will not want to play again because you won't feel good about the killing anymore. So zero replay value due to the emotional effect it has on you. But, that first time through, damn what an experience. It's like a really good, horrifying war movie. If it was a movie you could watch it over and over because you are not the one pulling the trigger. However in the game it is you and the game forces you to make your character do things you don't want him to do. You want to tell your character, "don't do this". Expand
  13. Jul 9, 2012
    could have been a great game but the lack of strategy , story ideas , and my ability to play it in 7 hours. leaves me wishing i had waited for it to drop in cost.
  14. Jul 14, 2014
    Masterpiece.

You don't believe me?

Try it.

...and then come back here to talk...

The story is something you find once in a hundred of today games.

The gameplay feels nice and it maybe take some time to settle in but when it does you'll be poppin heads.

Visually - great. Graphics can stay shoulder to shoulder with the games from 2014 and style and colors are just swesome.
  15. May 6, 2013
    Simply an amazing game. Spec Ops: The Line offers high end, fast paced action game play to the player. If you're in it for the story, then this game will give it to you. If you're in it for the game play and mechanics, well...then this is just your average shooter. Overall, I'd say stick to enjoying the story line. It clearly shows that the devs have put a lot of time and effort intoSimply an amazing game. Spec Ops: The Line offers high end, fast paced action game play to the player. If you're in it for the story, then this game will give it to you. If you're in it for the game play and mechanics, well...then this is just your average shooter. Overall, I'd say stick to enjoying the story line. It clearly shows that the devs have put a lot of time and effort into crafting such an intense story. It really hits you in the gut at some points in the game. It is not for the weak hearted because there are a lot of disturbing elements that drive you to the edge of your seat. (I won't give any spoilers however).

As for the game play mechanics, it may not be the best engine used in the world, giving it's only unreal 3, but it is your average low end 'Gears of War' or Ghost Recon Future Soldier.' Main guns are typically the ones used in every military shooter, but why else must you complain? It's post apocalyptic modern military warfare. All in all, great game for what it is. Definitely worth a shot playing it. It will surely leave you questioning, what you just played.
  16. Nov 17, 2012
    I must say this is one of the best games of 2012 and it have one of the best stories of all time, Hard to forget the ending and the ruined Dubai
  17. Sep 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't see the reason why this game didn't get a rate higher than 80, for me at least is one of the most enjoyable games that I ever played. There's a lot of enemies, the control (over the PC, not console) is pretty good, and the graphics are not the top of the line, but are really good. The choices within the game are fun, and sometimes you don't even realize that you did a choice before your teammates say something like "wow, why did you kill him?".

It's really worthy playing.
  18. Jul 18, 2012
    Spec Ops for me was a harrowing experience. You do not play this game for the purposes of 'fun', you play it to experience what amounts to a character study of the main characters slow trip into madness. The combat is not 'fun'; it can be repetitive, frustrating, and depressing. There is no satisfaction gained by killing waves of enemies. The story is brutal and depressing (catching aSpec Ops for me was a harrowing experience. You do not play this game for the purposes of 'fun', you play it to experience what amounts to a character study of the main characters slow trip into madness. The combat is not 'fun'; it can be repetitive, frustrating, and depressing. There is no satisfaction gained by killing waves of enemies. The story is brutal and depressing (catching a theme?). It creates false choices, a sense of distance from your 'character', a general feeling of detachment from your actions and a nagging sense of hopelessness. So why on earth would you want to play a game that actively tries to prevent you from gathering any amount of enjoyment from it? Because this game is a work of art and a compelling experience. It was conceived as the Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now of video games and it uses every tool available inside the medium to create the mood achieved in those works. To put it bluntly, nothing about this game will make you feel accomplished and in the rare points that you do, it takes that away from you, through both gameplay, cinematics, and even the loading screens. Late in the game when you die the loading screens will mock you telling you things like "Do you even know why you are here" and "He would have most likely suffered from PTSD, dying made him the lucky one". This game is not for everyone, especially those who just want to turn off or want to only have 'fun'. This game is for those of us who want to see video games tackle major topics maturely (in this case; war crimes) and do so with respect. If you are sketchy, I would wait until the price drops. With only a 7 hour campaign and almost laughable multiplayer, this game is not going to give you 50 hours of game play. Over all I am very glad I now own this game and really encourage all of you to play it in some way. Expand
  19. Feb 9, 2013
    An average game. Not a masterpiece, but actually a good game. This game has a good story (not so great or impressive as someone says), but sometimes seems to be a little confused. The graphic is not bad but also not great, just average and functional. The sound is maybe the worst part of the game. Weapon sounds are too dull and quiet. The soundtrack is anonymous and banal with only the USAn average game. Not a masterpiece, but actually a good game. This game has a good story (not so great or impressive as someone says), but sometimes seems to be a little confused. The graphic is not bad but also not great, just average and functional. The sound is maybe the worst part of the game. Weapon sounds are too dull and quiet. The soundtrack is anonymous and banal with only the US anthem that "stands out". Gameplay works good, but the game as some annoying bugs, like the stupid penetration of some surfaces (sometimes you can be hit also if are beyond a concrete wall), and there is a unresolved bug about sound in cutscenes.
    In the end, is a good game, worth money if you buy it for less than 15€. Sometimes frustrating, but is a good game.
  20. Sep 18, 2012
    this is an anti-war advocating game.no true hero exists in this game,nor the real world.the point made in the story line is sharp,revealing what kind of thing the war is.i mean theres never truth nor justice in wars. i still remember a guy in Skyrim said that theres no honor in the war; the honor was made up by the elderly.to be honest never in y wildest dream could i imagine the story'sthis is an anti-war advocating game.no true hero exists in this game,nor the real world.the point made in the story line is sharp,revealing what kind of thing the war is.i mean theres never truth nor justice in wars. i still remember a guy in Skyrim said that theres no honor in the war; the honor was made up by the elderly.to be honest never in y wildest dream could i imagine the story's idea was sided towards pacifism,coz in every single games,such as CoD whole series,BF3 and MoH,they are have some kind of Superman-ish people. Expand
  21. Jun 26, 2012
    A shooter with a proposal completely new, excellent graphics, customizable keyboard mappings remarkable multiplayer, a campaign full of surprises and sudden changes, with some bit of tactics, a game well done
  22. Jul 19, 2013
    If you're looking for a standard, third-person military shooter then you should skip Spec Ops.

OK, so all of the idiots are gone now right? This game is a narrative masterpiece. It forces the player to make choices that are not only difficult, but so easy to mistake for the black and white linearity that is found in so many shooters today. This game is not only highly cerebral and

OK, so all of the idiots are gone now right?

This game is a narrative masterpiece. It forces the player to make choices that are not only difficult, but so easy to mistake for the black and white linearity that is found in so many shooters today. This game is not only highly cerebral and thought-provoking, but it acts as a commentary on current and future gaming culture. Some of the scenes and images are difficult to stomach, but that's sort of the point of the game. Games like Call of Duty and Battlefield don't expose the player to the true horrors of war. They try to make a pretty shooting gallery to walk through while the player's internet service is down.

Spec Ops will challenge the way you think and the way you play games. This game was never intended to be "fun" in the traditional sense. Rather, it was created (IMHO) to force people who play these sort of games to sit down and really think about what it is they want from a game and why they feel the need to make the decisions they make. Spec Ops is both challenging and rewarding. Buy it.
  23. Jun 9, 2013
    Didn't play many TPS games before..so the gameplay and the control of this game seemed OK to me..I don't know whether it was too bad or not comparing to other games..but Gears of War is better than this one..However, the plot of this game is absolutely outstanding..Want to know what will you become in some extreme situations such as in a war? Play this one..
  24. Mar 12, 2016
    that stipid f**ng armor brutes nearly impossible, shot them right in the face and they dont care. who the hell comes up with that "great" idea. i bet there is no sequel because of this stupid sh**.
  25. Mar 12, 2015
    After finishing this game, I must say... The characters in this, will DEFINITELY have some PTSD. Extremely fun video game, plenty of action, the only negative I can say about it.. The game goes on continuously without stopping, so there is no customization, upgrading weapons, or anything. This game aside from that, is awesome. I enjoyed it alot more than call of duty.

This game is kind

This game is kind of short as well. If it's $19.99 and below, I say pick it up! If it costs anymore than that, wait for it to get a little cheaper.. Doesn't seem like it'd have much replay value, unless it has online play
  26. Dec 9, 2012
    This game is mind-blowingly brilliant. Just buy it. The people who say they didn't like this game are the very people whom this game criticises. It is perfect. It's one of the extremely few games that deserve a 10 out of 10.
  27. Nov 6, 2012
    The Line isn't for the most fanatic arcade shooters, but it is not meant to be. It has little bit better tha average 3rd person cover shooter mechanics and makes up it weaknesses with superb story telling (even though loading screen "motivation" texts little bit kills the mood. Game looks nice and isn't too shiny which supports the story. Enemy AI works well enough but your own companionsThe Line isn't for the most fanatic arcade shooters, but it is not meant to be. It has little bit better tha average 3rd person cover shooter mechanics and makes up it weaknesses with superb story telling (even though loading screen "motivation" texts little bit kills the mood. Game looks nice and isn't too shiny which supports the story. Enemy AI works well enough but your own companions are suicidal if ordered to do anything else than snipe or take out enemy's strongpoint. Expand
  28. Dec 16, 2012
    Really liking the game so far. Controls are great on a 360 gamepad, it took a bit to get used to the cover-system but after ten minutes or so it became a breeze. The weapons I found fun to use and its nice that there isn't 1028203920 ammo crates throughout the game, you have to spare your ammo. Graphics are very solid for a console port, I loved the little details like the bugs crawlingReally liking the game so far. Controls are great on a 360 gamepad, it took a bit to get used to the cover-system but after ten minutes or so it became a breeze. The weapons I found fun to use and its nice that there isn't 1028203920 ammo crates throughout the game, you have to spare your ammo. Graphics are very solid for a console port, I loved the little details like the bugs crawling all around the corpses and the particle effects were nice. Headshots are also very satisfying. The story is very gripping, compelling even. Truly one of the few games that actually demonstrates the horror of war rather than glorify it. Expand
  29. Dec 30, 2012
    Delightfully stunned... I picked this up on a Steam sale and expected to put it down after a few hours like I do most games. I can't speak for the console version of this game, but the PC version, at least as of right now is polished and smooth. The story was deep and dark with a great twist at the end. Absolutely awesome game and worth the money. Truly a great surprise.
  30. Jan 30, 2013
    At first I tried the demo. It was a pleasure to play with, I felt it very unique, so I bought it.
    I like it for it's big open Dubai maps, story, gameplay, cutscenes, 3rd person view, variety of guns, graphics, it's worth for me. Unreal engine is okay, it's beautiful and fast.
    I do not like it for it is very heartbreaking scenes.
  31. Aug 28, 2013
    What can I say about this game. The gameplay was ok, though nothing we haven't seen in countless other shooters. What is super annoying however is the "America vs. the world" garbage found in so many games and movies nowadays. Right down to the guitar solo playing during the main menu I mean seriously, how cliché is that.

What a joke. Even for a free game, I'm still left feeling

What a joke. Even for a free game, I'm still left feeling somehow ripped off.
  32. Oct 16, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Spec Ops: The Line is a meta-critic (wow that was not a pun) of modern military shooters. It begins exactly like a generic war on terror era third person shooter with americans as heroes rescuing. Then after 1 hour things get a little weird (and much more interesting than any game of this style), as the game narrative, in a terrific turn, starts to critize both senseless war and senseless killing modern video games.

The icing on the cake is the Apocalypse Now-inspired storyline and the superb Dubai dystopian art style. The characters, the voice acting, the narrative are all among the smartest and the best in recent times, making Spec Ops: The Line (a reboot of an PS1 tactical game) even with its 4h and modest gameplay, an obligation to anyone who believes videogames can be important pieces of culture, critcizing not only society but its own medium
  33. Jan 8, 2013
    Story is ok, but nothing really special. Graphics and sound mediocre. Gameplay is not entertaining at all. I would recommend to buy on sale, or skip entirely ;)
  34. Sep 23, 2012
    This is an awesome game, I recommend everyone to try. I guess its the GOTY of 2012. The story in this game is one of the most **** and great I've ever seen in a game. The only downside of this game is the generic gameplay
  35. Jun 27, 2012
    This game is yet another entry to the hide-behind-all-those-conveniently-placed-covers-and-shoot-from-there category. Graphically it is alright but suffers from being overly way too bright and the game play isn't anything that we haven't already seen before. At least the story tries to explore the horrors of war but unfortunately fails to deliver due to poor execution.

Overall a very

Overall a very mediocre shooter.
  36. Aug 17, 2012
    Great singleplayer experience. A breath of fresh air in a stale genre. Way better than popular games like Call of Duty. Not the multiplayer though. This is a pure singleplayer game with a great story.
  37. Jul 15, 2012
    Nice atmosphere adn plot. Shootouts are somewhat fresh and fun. Characters are good. Graphically is more than decent with some great spots. It made me think about heart of darkness in modern times... Overall a solid quality game. 8.
  38. Jan 16, 2013
    Game which is not so fun to play, you probably could find better 3rd person shooter, but the message it has to bring is so powerful that can blow away CoD/Battlefield ideology in a snap. If you liked Apocalypse Now, you'll probably like this game.
  39. Jul 1, 2012
    This game has a great story based on the "Heart of Darkness." The graphics for the characters and weapons are pretty good but the environments are very bland without too much texture or shadow effects. It was clearly meant to run smoothly on the current generation of consoles. The game is a third person shooter and the cover mechanics work well. But, any shooter is about the guns andThis game has a great story based on the "Heart of Darkness." The graphics for the characters and weapons are pretty good but the environments are very bland without too much texture or shadow effects. It was clearly meant to run smoothly on the current generation of consoles. The game is a third person shooter and the cover mechanics work well. But, any shooter is about the guns and this is where the game really is dissappointing. The guns sound very tinny and not even close to real life weapons. You know how people make fun of shooter games by saying: "Pew pew" and so forth. These guns actually sound like that!! Ha ha. It draws away from any immersive feel you were supposed to get. It may be worth a play through for the story but as a rental only. Check out Ghost Recon Future Soldier if you like this type of game. Ubisoft knows how to make this type of game. Expand
  40. Jul 6, 2012
    There is only one way to describe this game: An average shooter. There is no innovation in game play. It is the same exact run and shoot anything that moves game. The campaign is forgettable and the characters bland. Multiplayer is mildly entertaining for a while but do not expect to be entertained for more than a couple of days. It is not the game so much as the genre that is at fault.There is only one way to describe this game: An average shooter. There is no innovation in game play. It is the same exact run and shoot anything that moves game. The campaign is forgettable and the characters bland. Multiplayer is mildly entertaining for a while but do not expect to be entertained for more than a couple of days. It is not the game so much as the genre that is at fault. All shooters are the same and this one, being no different, is not worth recommending. Expand
  41. Oct 18, 2012
    A must play.
    2 first hours of gameplay seems like a normal action game with good atmosphere, even sometimes little boring, but after that... the game become to a great experience because an awesome and unusual plot on shooters.
  42. Jan 15, 2013
    I'm changing my review because I pulled a rookie move. If you are like me and have an xbox controller plugged into the PC, the game controls & tutorial want to focus on that controller, not keyboard settings. I play only certain types of games with a controller. FPS is not one of them. Even if you tell it to not use a controller in the options, it still does the entire tutorial withI'm changing my review because I pulled a rookie move. If you are like me and have an xbox controller plugged into the PC, the game controls & tutorial want to focus on that controller, not keyboard settings. I play only certain types of games with a controller. FPS is not one of them. Even if you tell it to not use a controller in the options, it still does the entire tutorial with controller bindings. So it stinks that you have to remove the controller in order for the game to talk to you in PC speak (WASD)... so to speak. Expand
  43. Dec 27, 2012
    In a field of games that are created to build the player up to a godly status of superhero, Spec Ops: The Line dares to fly in the face of that, deciding instead to actively fight the player and their sense of heroism. Based on Heart of Darkness, the same story that inspired Apocalypse Now, It is set in a destroyed Dubai, where a squad is sent to rescue survivors. This is a game that isIn a field of games that are created to build the player up to a godly status of superhero, Spec Ops: The Line dares to fly in the face of that, deciding instead to actively fight the player and their sense of heroism. Based on Heart of Darkness, the same story that inspired Apocalypse Now, It is set in a destroyed Dubai, where a squad is sent to rescue survivors. This is a game that is built on traditional mechanics, a samey brown fps that most gamers that pick the title up will identify immediately and become comfortable with. This is the moment Spec Ops chooses to throw the player into disarray, forcing them to question their very motives for even playing a video game, as well as the characters choices. The player, in the end, is drawn into a state of distance from the character, a sort of last shred of sanity and conscious that the character has left. By the end, you are changed in parallel. You are a different person. Expand
  44. Nov 15, 2013
    This is not a game you will play to have fun.

This is not a game you will play to feel good.

This is not a game you will play to be a hero.

This is a game you will play to see war as the hell it is

This is a game you will play to see exactly how screwed up modern military games are.

This is a game you will play for the same reason you would play a horror game.
  45. Oct 9, 2014
    A game every gamer should play. Average gameplay with amazing story and characters.

After it was over I sat in front of my PC and just repeated "the horror"
  46. Jun 11, 2013
    If you like are ever played Gear of war then this gam has some thing to offer you .
    One of the most underrated games of the past few years just because of the not so good MP they were forced to add. And a lot of people don't like the Anti War and anti American politics in the game

Game is all about single player which is very good, Great fire fights and games graphics are very good along with a good story .You can pick this up cheap not and its well worth it
  47. Oct 20, 2013
    This game... this game...

If you want to know what really happens during a war, play this game. Don't play the latest Call of Duty and think that is what happens during a war, this game shows you exactly what happens... and the consequences of war. As for game play, it's pretty difficult, even on Normal difficulty, you can die in about 5 or 6 shots, especially late-game where the
    This game... this game...

If you want to know what really happens during a war, play this game.

As for game play, it's pretty difficult, even on Normal difficulty, you can die in about 5 or 6 shots, especially late-game where the enemies have extremely powerful weapons.
  48. Nov 29, 2013
    This is a great game that many people I have talked to have loved after playing. Beware that this game has very sad moments and very emotional parts. The game has great graphics that really shows the environment around the player. This the type of game that integrates the third person with run and cover type game. Without cover you are at a disadvantage when in combat. The feature that iThis is a great game that many people I have talked to have loved after playing. Beware that this game has very sad moments and very emotional parts. The game has great graphics that really shows the environment around the player. This the type of game that integrates the third person with run and cover type game. Without cover you are at a disadvantage when in combat. The feature that i love about it is the menu, it changes the further along the game you are. The combat features are well executed.
    There are quite a lot of twists.
    I recommend this to anyone that loves shooter games.

This is AssassinReviews,
    Thanks for reading :D
  49. May 16, 2015
    Very interesting game. Not your ordinary FPS game, surely no evil vs good kinda game. More like hard decisions to make "ish" kinda FPS. But it's good, oh it's good. Don't believe on those negative reviews. They are from teenagers who believed they would be playing Medal of Honor or such. This is a FPS for adults. No easy choice. Step aside, kiddos.
  50. Sep 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The end of this game blowed up my mind, the story -- the most bright example, that you should't justify yourself. Very good story, very good setting, but not so good gameplay. But there is not any rivals at military shooter. That's why 10/10. Expand
  51. May 17, 2015
    Один из лучших сюжетов в игровой индустрии. Подражание "Апокалипсис Сегодня" и "Сердце Тьмы", отличная концовка, отличный сеттинг (Дубаи после катастрофы), музыкальная составляющая без лишних слов прекрасна.
  52. Jul 7, 2015
    Do yourself a favor, play this game on the easiest setting possible. Enjoy the great story, the great dialogues both from your mates and the enemy soldiers. Enjoy the desperate and sorrow desert swallowing soldiers whole like meat. Enjoy the fun moments, when your not concerned about war.
    Because when it comes to gameplay it's depressingly lacking. The run/cover system is really clunky and unoptimized. But you can get over everything except the AI, your teammates are constantly in suicide mode. They will go under enemy fire without cover and surrounded by enemies dying like flies for no reason, they won't be able to cover your back, EVER, not even from a single enemy.
    Just play it safe, in the retarded setting, just enjoy it as a movie where you sometimes have to mash buttons to proceed.
  53. Nov 7, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Best shooter - EVER!

The real, true story. The best story that has ever been in the same genre, but unfortunately not valued at its true worth by some stupid players and no less stupid journalists - pseudo-experts. Yes in Spec Ops The Line is no pile falling helicopters, explosions, super doggies and other garbage. Yes in The Line is not a good multiplayer, such as in Battlefield, but it is not needed. The main advantage of Spec Ops The Line - strong story, such powerful singleplayer never be in **** like CoD or in the same Battlefield.

In The Line shows the wrong side of the war - a horrible, bloody, сrazy even for trained to kill soldiers. The main character of The Line - Martin Walker, commander of Delta Force is not some fairytale type as Terminator Captain Price that can kill thousands of people, and then smoke a cigar - Walker - a living person who has feelings and understanding what he was doing. His team - First Lieutenant Adams and Sergeant Lugo also lively, believable characters. To tell the whole story does not make sense, in the Spec Ops The Line you must be played, and, if after played in singleplayer and will say that this is nonsense, accept the fact that you just a very stupid man.

Endings of the game. Only 3 out of 4 endings are real. It:

№1: Walker commits suicide.

Walker morally broken after of all of the experiences and can not forgive himself for what he had done.

№3: Walker, entered into a gunfight with a rescue squad and dies.

Walker continues a split personality, and he is not conscious of his actions - for him he's still on the battlefield, surrounded by enemies.

№4: Walker, kills the entire rescue squad and remains in Dubai.

There is a complete brain fog of Walker - for him the battlefield becoming home. He ceases to perceive murder as something special.

Ending №2 ( impossible ): Walker surrendered a rescue group that takes away his home.

In real life, after such stress and sufferings, and obviously brain fog, a return to normal life is impossible. There is a line beyond which people like them no turning back. For Walker, this LINE occurred.

This wonderful game like Spec Ops The Line, could to estimate only people who think and are able and properly analyze. And judging by the sales of the game, such people are very few. The majority of the two-legged members of the genus of human, love to be the heroes in every kind of **** as the CoD. "To save the world" pinching cherished key "Press X To Save Whole World", who can not think, because - nothing to think, and so choosing the games that create an illusion of sense of its grandeur. And when the game shows to the player: "Look dude - what you've done. It's not cool. The conscience does not torment?", The clever person will understand that the war - it's not fun, it blood, death and madness. A foolish man - would deny everything, while farting in anger, accusing the devs that they made "not cool" game. Unfortunately stupid gamers more than smart players and publishers focused on the herd. Therefore Take2 and personally Mr Feder and Zelnick, decided to kill a series of Spec Ops. Very silly gentlemen publishers, in addition to entertainment such as GTA, needs and produce and serious projects.

In conclusion I would like to thank the team of Yager Development for the excellent and smart game. It would be nice, over time, if you company will be able to publish the games themselves and are independent of idiotic publishers. Success! And more games like Spec Ops The Line.
  54. Jan 8, 2013
    The story in this game is Oscar worthy, and overcomes any flaws with gameplay.

It's unfortunate I need to expand this sentence to 150 characters.....
  55. Jul 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Spec Ops the line, an Awesome game. This game is one of those games where you just get into it and and play as yourself feeling every thing that is going on in the game and as you keep going further and further it starts getting real intense as it plays with your mind (screws with your mind in a good way), brings out all the emotions and leaves your with this Mind Blowing end. The game has some real great pros and some cons making it a 9 star game according to me. The good things are that the graphics are very good and the setup where all the story takes place is also designed very beautifully with some great moments and awesome views of the city (Dubai). Also the game-play is also really great as a third person shooter nothing extraordinary but the creators have done justice. The battles or fights are good with some great in-game moments. The plot is really good and the game definitely is worth the buy ! The game may have some issues like when it comes to cover taking, its not very efficient and quick. Also the story line sometimes is a little confusing and some parts lack proper explanation, but otherwise it is really great. "Now finally i will tell you need to buy this game and how it is worth the money you spent. The best thing in this games was the Mind-Screwing, Breathtaking and really well written story-line. The story is so good that it makes you think how brilliant are the writers to come up with such an Extraordinary story. The story plays with your emotions, it leaves you with some really hard choices and takes you into an intense madness as you play the game. The end is the best part of the game where everything, every decision you make, everything you have done, finally makes sense but i'd tell you that what makes sense screws with your mind more....... So it leaves you to think a lot and there are not many games that do that.. The game tricks your mind so much that you think this all doesn't make sense, but it does...... So final summation, the game is really good, and I assure you, that you will certainly like it. ( SPOILER : The other best thing about the game, it is not like other games where you get a fun joyous ride and get a really happy end, but this game just shows you how a game can also be so intense and exciting with a serious and not so happy ending, or i'd call it a maddening ending. And that's the beauty of it, that it is such a different game that has somewhat " The Fight Club " movie kinda experience that you never get in other games...... SO the end was wicked , n so was the game..... ) Expand
  56. Jan 18, 2016
    The story I got wasn't at all what I expected. This game deserves an 8 for no other reason than trying their hardest to give a great single player campaign experience.... something far too rare in FPS games. My only regret is waiting so long to play it, but a Steam sale finally convinced me.
  57. Dec 31, 2012
    Spec Ops the line is one of the rare gems in modern gaming. It twists the entire shooter genre on its head, introduces a storyline evocative of "Heart of Darkness" yet does its own thing.

Spec Ops the line does on thing one and it does it superbly. The storyline is and should be the reason to buy this game. While the developers suggesting "Heart of Darkness" as inspiration may be a spoiler, the storyline goes places where few works of fiction dare. That being said there are a few caveats. For those whom come off FPS such as COD, the controls can take some getting used to and ammo is scarce (a brilliant reinforcement of the storyline). Buy, buy now and never look back.
  58. Nov 14, 2014
    El juego es aburrido, injugable, en varias ocasiones quise desinstalarlo, pero normalmente si empiezo un juego lo termino. Algunos dicen que solo por el final merece la pena las 8-10 horas de tortura, que hagan una película si quieren, pero como juego es basura.

Si le doy un 3 es porque en el apartado gráfico tiene buenas texturas y la arena está muy conseguida (que menos en un juego de arena), además hay algo de interactividad con el terreno, pero cuando el juego quiere, no cuando tu lo decidas.

Por el lado contrario está la IA, insufrible, tus aliados se ponen en tu línea de tiro o te sacan de cobertura, y de vez en cuando se les ocurre ponerse en medio de campo abierto a que los fusilen.
    Los comandos de pelotón que tan bonitos quedan son simplemente un adorno, que no funciona, o que para funcionar hace que te maten a ti o a tus compañeros. Los silenciadores son un elemento estético del arma, ya que solo cuando el juego quiere (2 o 3 enemigos en todo el juego) te deja seguir un camino más sigiloso, que rápidamente se acaba.

En definitiva, el juego es un mata-mata lineal de recreativa al más puro estilo Time Crysis.
  59. Jul 18, 2012
    All cutscenes and no play. Just as it starts to get fun and you get into it, you guessed it, another cutscene comes up that you're not allowed to skip. Not worth even 10 dollars. I got about a dime's worth of play out of it. Wish you could sell PC games like you can console games.
  60. Aug 2, 2013
    Congratulations. This is one of the worst console ports that ever have been made. The gameplay is terrible. Sprint, cover and action use the same button
  61. Aug 4, 2012
    Superb story that develops overtime, characters that you grow to love, one of the rare games I will remember for a long time. You get really committed to the story that on several occasions I was really disturbed and upset. Thing that I didn't like are controls, a bit clunky, and when push comes to shove, they will probably bail on you and you will die, a lot. No worries, story will pushSuperb story that develops overtime, characters that you grow to love, one of the rare games I will remember for a long time. You get really committed to the story that on several occasions I was really disturbed and upset. Thing that I didn't like are controls, a bit clunky, and when push comes to shove, they will probably bail on you and you will die, a lot. No worries, story will push you to keep going. About lack of choices, there are some, not that major, but this isn't rpg, you know what you are getting, and probably will get more. Expand
  62. Jan 14, 2013
    Perhaps the only moder military shooter about war, you know actual war and not heroism fairy tails, props to the guys at yager for try to do something different in a genre as stale as this one
  63. Dec 25, 2012
    Spec Ops The Line is a perfect example of the 'opposite' of what games normally are today. Typically there would be great game play with an average story in the shooter market. Spec Ops boasts an incredible story which is immersive and... well that's all I can say without spoilers. Just know your going to get your moneys worth especially off steam when it comes to singleplayer. MultiplayerSpec Ops The Line is a perfect example of the 'opposite' of what games normally are today. Typically there would be great game play with an average story in the shooter market. Spec Ops boasts an incredible story which is immersive and... well that's all I can say without spoilers. Just know your going to get your moneys worth especially off steam when it comes to singleplayer. Multiplayer at the current date (26/12/2012 AUS) is dead but it is worth noting that Spec Ops has been selling quite well on steam as of late. Unfortunately I haven't gotten a fair go with it so I cant say much. Technically this game looks spectacular and is possible to run on lower end systems. Control wise Spec ops falters a little with clunky sprinting and cover mechanics both being things you will be doing a lot in the game. Shooting however does work well just remember to adjust your sensitivity. Overall I can't say I regret buying spec ops. The singleplayer while very short (4.2 hours for me) was worth the admission. In fact its so good I may play it again! If you can get it for less that $15AU then do it! I'm giving Spec Ops The Line a 7/10 Expand
  64. Mar 16, 2013
    Fun game. The story didn't impress me too much but gameplay was fun. Only eight hours is a little bit short, and multiplayer is bad but you should give it a try.
  65. May 4, 2013
    In a field overly saturated how does one shooter stand out against another? In Spec Ops The Line the addictive story is what makes it stand out above the rest. Too long have I been bombarded with over the top cool ads for the latest Call of Duty Zombie Warfare 10 with extra death on the side, it’s all too much. I don’t pretend that CoD 4 didn’t in some way however small or largeIn a field overly saturated how does one shooter stand out against another? In Spec Ops The Line the addictive story is what makes it stand out above the rest. Too long have I been bombarded with over the top cool ads for the latest Call of Duty Zombie Warfare 10 with extra death on the side, it’s all too much. I don’t pretend that CoD 4 didn’t in some way however small or large revolutionise or more rather galvanise the market, I’d be a fool to deny that since CoD 4 I have noticed a large increase in the amount of shooter’s, which isn’t necessarily good for Gaming in general. If we want to be taken as serious people with a love of a hobby we shouldn’t turn to behemoths such as CoD where human beings are ripped up with machine gun fire and dismembered with motor fire. Such games are the Fast Food equivalent of the Games industry, sure it may be nice but it’s not good for you and it lacks sufficient sustenance.
    However as I said Spec Ops The Line manages to keep above the tidal wave of, when you actually think about it, poorly written games or just straight up plain violence for violence sake. For me Spec Ops The Line asked one major question and its one that has been rattling around my brain when it comes to shooter’s: How do you live with the actions you take?
    It’s interesting, think about most of the games that are sold en mass to the general market, not the people who have a love and passion for games who dig deep to find that one indie game that speaks volumes to them. No, I mean the incredibly popular mainstream titles where, if you dare to go online, you get abused by Bro’s or a 12 year old with a surprisingly colourful vocabulary. So with those games in mind, I’ve often thought these are characters that are, I imagine in some cases, loved. These are men that shoot and kill vast amounts of people and overcome incredible odds and they just shrug it off. These are meant to be people with real feelings and emotions, not blank, impersonal drones with a gun in hand.
    Spec Ops The Line follows 3 men as they are sent into Dubai to find an old friend of the protagonist who was originally sent in to evacuate survivors of a terrible storm that ravaged Dubai’s beautiful landscape and skyline. You play Captain Walker a man with a mysterious past in Kabul where he met your target Konrad, a celebrated War Hero. Through some initially confusing story you begin to discover what happened here in Dubai, all is not well as 2 factions’ war it out against each other (and you) and through it all a crazed DJ plays tracks like its Vietnam 2.
    Even in a linear game such as SOTL it offers choices to the player, choices that at the end are reflected upon and for good reason, because of the question it askes. How do these men whose jobs are to kill upon command survive what they encounter, or even do they? The player gets a feel for how maybe the command you’re given isn’t the command that you should carry out, this becomes especially clear as you progress through the game and through the actions you make. It is because of the actions you make and how you’re 2 man squad reacts that give the player a true immersion, on a personal note I had to pause the game at several crucial moments to decide what I should do, is there a right and wrong here? Does the easy way ever meet with the right way of doing things?
    If like me you get swooped up in the story you may find the loading screens become more eerie. It’s one of the many minor things that I love about this game and that is the game itself askes questions of you and prompts you with things like “Can you even remember why you came here?” “You are still a good person” “Do you feel like a hero yet?” and also “This is all your fault”. People have incorrectly called this taunting, but I feel it’s supposed to make you think about not necessarily the genre of games that people just seem to buy into but also the real life actions of people who do this and as a result end up with PTSD.
    Now I’ve love to say more, it’s been a while since I’ve played a game and truly couldn’t get enough of it, and with a story that has many layers and possible choices to take, it’s definitely worthy of more than one play through, but I feel if I write much more I’d give away some major points.
    A little tip though, if you want the most from the game, unlock the FUBAR setting (never has this acronym felt so appropriate) and play through it, sure it’s harder but as I just said, the loading screens can get eerie and give you some sort of insight. Now I’m off to play some more. Cheers for reading.
    Cheers for reading, for more reviews see willza99.wordpress.com
  66. Mar 4, 2014
    8.2/10
    + Interesting Story
    + Amazing writing/script + Great Characters and Nice Character Development + Engaging story that makes you feel emotionally involved + You make decisions that affect outcomes + Great Twist at the end + Nice use of environments in play + Different locations throughout Dubai that all are interesting - Some "choices" seem like you actually have no control
    8.2/10
    + Interesting Story
    + Amazing writing/script
    + Great Characters and Nice Character Development
    + Engaging story that makes you feel emotionally involved
    + You make decisions that affect outcomes
    + Great Twist at the end
    + Nice use of environments in play
    + Different locations throughout Dubai that all are interesting

- Some "choices" seem like you actually have no control
    - Nothing new with gameplay (Generic Third Person Shooter Gameplay)
    - Some controls were frustrating (ex. X [Gamepad] was used to get to cover AND to run)

Overall Spec Ops: The Line was an interesting and engaging interactive cinematic experience. Spec Ops had the story of a big budget Hollywood action movie, but also had the familiar third person shooter in it. The story kept me on the edge of my seat and wanting to know what happens next. At some parts Specs Ops was just another grindfest, but then again what shooter today isn't? Spec Ops did not have a huge selection of guns, which did not hurt the game at all. Instead of looking for the coolest weapon, you were looking for weapons to help you clear the level so you could find out what happens next.

In conclusion Spec Ops: The Line is a great game that should not be missed out on due to the new emotional and mental take on war. The game will rank up there with my favorite games that would make me want to play again, to play the many different ending.

P.S. The graphics for this game was pretty okay, nothing fancy, but nothing terrible. I put this at the end of my review as to not get this confused with pluses and minuses. I would NEVER include graphics as a means of judging a game.
  67. Aug 12, 2014
    Best game ever, very addicting. my favorite mission is the fist one of chapter six. you should get it bout it on sale for 5.99, and there are no bugs.
  68. Jun 23, 2015
    Excellent game... the story line is amazing. this game probably has the story than any other FPS game. and the graphics is good too.. I think only people who wont enjoy this game are 8-10 years old kids who play COD or BF all day...
  69. Nov 11, 2015
    I think this is the best game I've ever played. It's third person shooter with perfect story that isn't only in back of the game. After you finish this game your thinking about shooters will change. You can play it just once and still you'll remember this game for long years. Hell you should go and buy this game right now.
  70. Jan 5, 2013
    This game is a console based game and although keys are functioning the entire game is made for game-pad.
    This game has a refreshing storyline and environment, what went wrong?
    - 1 : because third person view (f.ex the game Hitman let you switch between first to third-person which is a missed opportunity in this game) - 2 : bad aiming, this is just terrible and let not even talk about
    This game has a refreshing storyline and environment, what went wrong?

- 2 : bad aiming, this is just terrible and let not even talk about the sniper rifle
    - 2 : save points, I am an adult, I decide where I want to save, some pieces of fights take up to 8 min, you die you can start all over again and let's not even talk about the 'skip movie', enter is not working so when you die you can watch over and over the 2 min movie before you can start playing instead of doing savepoints after the movie.
    -1 : cover/vault seems to have a mind of it's own, sometimes you are stuck to a wall in cover mode which you can not get out of.
    - 1 : Squad has a mind of it's own, move forward and decides to get shot, you have limited time to heal them or they just stand do nothing while you fight and die.
  71. May 9, 2013
    Seriously, who cares about the mediocre gameplay. It's only there to tell a horrific story of violence and madness. Play it as the modern classic it is.
  72. Nov 22, 2012
    Spec Ops: The Line is one of those games you play purely for the story, probably just once, and love. The mechanics are nothing special, often sub-par, but other than a few bugs and some frustration with the cover system, I can't complain. It's one of those strange little games you buy on sale, don't expect much from but you enjoy, despite its obvious flaws and when you look back, youSpec Ops: The Line is one of those games you play purely for the story, probably just once, and love. The mechanics are nothing special, often sub-par, but other than a few bugs and some frustration with the cover system, I can't complain. It's one of those strange little games you buy on sale, don't expect much from but you enjoy, despite its obvious flaws and when you look back, you realize it was one of your best gaming experiences in quite a while.

As has been said in pretty much every other review, the story is pretty much a modern twist of Apocalypse Now but does a good job at adding some original twists. Don't know why everyone including the writer says it's based on Heart of Darkness, it's certainly much more of a departure from the book than Apocalypse Now was and only really resembles the latter. Either way, it's a wonderfully dark, grim experience that leaves you feeling slightly insane at the end. Oh, great soundtrack too.
  73. Aug 30, 2012
    I found this game to be very good. The story was incredible and the gunplay was decent. The game is pretty short though which is pretty unfortunate. I believe that the game should've been released for like 40 or 30 dollars with no multiplayer and it would be much better.
  74. Jan 10, 2013
    Bought the game after reviews talked about its involving storyline and controversial nature.
    The gameplay is so, so not as slick as COD or BF titles but adequately playable.
    The strength of this game is in the story and the transition of the mental state of the characters and how involved you feel in the decisions you have to make, It is refreshing for someone to take a more

It is refreshing for someone to take a more realistic look at war and its impact.
  75. Aug 12, 2012
    I've played the demo from steam and, rage quit because how bad the controls and console port it felt. Well after waiting after release to see if things would get better and people raved about how great story the game was decided to buy the game at lower price on Amazon. Well my first impressions of demo still stands bad controls and bad port to pc, and the MP is one of the worst i'veI've played the demo from steam and, rage quit because how bad the controls and console port it felt. Well after waiting after release to see if things would get better and people raved about how great story the game was decided to buy the game at lower price on Amazon. Well my first impressions of demo still stands bad controls and bad port to pc, and the MP is one of the worst i've ever played heavy lag disconnects and finding a game good luck. I have a high speed cable connection 50mb a sec. I hate to be the one to be so harsh but that's how i feel. I usually try and be fair to alot of games but this game just is overhyped. Dont waist your money there are better games out there. Expand
  76. May 18, 2013
    Grossly underestimated masterpiece with solid fighting mechanics and a gripping story that ties you along. One of the testaments of the video gaming industry coming to a maturity regarding war games. It might need some tweaking with the mouse acceleration bug, but it's easily fixable in a few minutes.
  77. Nov 30, 2012
    Its been a while since shooters have been taken by crappy pointless games geared towards multiplayer addiction. SO:TL is none of this. I didn't care about the multiplayer (which I heard sucks), but the campaign has one of the best stories in a video game I've ever seen. Its woirth it because of the memorable single player experience.
    The mechanics are cometimes flawed, true, and you may
    The mechanics are cometimes flawed, true, and you may die sometimes because you didn't got into cover when you should, but its nothing that breaks the game. It plays nicely, IMO.
  78. Apr 4, 2013
    Spec Ops: The Line is not a fun game, but it is perhaps the finest example of a drama video game. Without spoiling anything the game is somewhat bland until the main character unwittingly does a bad thing. If you go into playing Spec Ops: The Line with the mindset that it is a run of the mill shooter you will be disappointing, but if you play it looking for a game that's story is bothSpec Ops: The Line is not a fun game, but it is perhaps the finest example of a drama video game. Without spoiling anything the game is somewhat bland until the main character unwittingly does a bad thing. If you go into playing Spec Ops: The Line with the mindset that it is a run of the mill shooter you will be disappointing, but if you play it looking for a game that's story is both gripping and thought provoking try this out. I do not give Spec Ops a 10 because it is fun, but because it deserves it. Expand
  79. Apr 26, 2013
    The game is good, it's well made and it's visually stunning. But this pales compared to the actual experience of the GAME itself. The story and the way it is presented are a testimony that the game industry matures. Comparing this game to others is like comparing "The Shawshank Redemption" to the early black and white comedies. I really find it hard to express the depth of it and what aThe game is good, it's well made and it's visually stunning. But this pales compared to the actual experience of the GAME itself. The story and the way it is presented are a testimony that the game industry matures. Comparing this game to others is like comparing "The Shawshank Redemption" to the early black and white comedies. I really find it hard to express the depth of it and what a thought provoking experience it is. Expand
  80. Nov 25, 2014
    The story is excellent, however it is let down by the complete crap that is the game mechanics and enemies. The amount of times i was left banging my head against a wall because the run and cover system didn't work properly! Every single mission is the same, you kill wave after endless wave of enemies, before something interesting happens in a cut scene to progress the story. The story isThe story is excellent, however it is let down by the complete crap that is the game mechanics and enemies. The amount of times i was left banging my head against a wall because the run and cover system didn't work properly! Every single mission is the same, you kill wave after endless wave of enemies, before something interesting happens in a cut scene to progress the story. The story is so good too! It gets a 6/10 because of the story, if there was even a shred of better gameplay the score would be much higher. Expand
  81. Nov 11, 2013
    10/10 for story,here your actions doesn't always result in saving the world, actually it may end up the other way .Very minimal characters but deep. Game-play is like many other shooters you have played.THE IMPORTANT thing is, don't judge it after first few minutes of game-play. The real proclaimed depth of story begins afterwards, it become darker and darker with progression.Play it for10/10 for story,here your actions doesn't always result in saving the world, actually it may end up the other way .Very minimal characters but deep. Game-play is like many other shooters you have played.THE IMPORTANT thing is, don't judge it after first few minutes of game-play. The real proclaimed depth of story begins afterwards, it become darker and darker with progression.Play it for the story( it questions your conscience many times).Highly recommended. Expand
  82. Aug 31, 2012
    The main selling point of this game seems to be the story, especially how mature it is. Well...its not. But first a few words about the gameplay: The mechanics are extremely generic and weak, the shooting feels flimsy and gets tedious extremely fast. The weapon sounds support the weak feel of the guns and there is nothing fun or exciting about it. But most critics will tell you the storyThe main selling point of this game seems to be the story, especially how mature it is. Well...its not. But first a few words about the gameplay: The mechanics are extremely generic and weak, the shooting feels flimsy and gets tedious extremely fast. The weapon sounds support the weak feel of the guns and there is nothing fun or exciting about it. But most critics will tell you the story saves the horrible gameplay, but honestly, its just crap. It might be mature, but that doesn't make it any good, for the first 14 chapters the story just drags on and on without resolve anything or keeping you engaged, and the last mission is supposed to resolve anything, which makes the first 3 hours and 50 minutes even more pointless. It blatantly rips off Heart of Darkness and any generic psycho-thriller movie. Its just a generic boring shooter with chest-high walls that hides its crappy gameplay mechanics under a story that most critics find "mature" and "interesting". Expand
  83. Jul 3, 2012
    A different FPS where history is of great importance, together with decisions that change events from it. Of considerable duration (about 8 hours in difficult / very difficult)

Technically a great game, where effects such as the sand line at a high level, this is accompanied by a large and a sound optimization It also has multi, being conservative is quite fun when you meet people,

It also has multi, being conservative is quite fun when you meet people, plus there is plenty to unlock

In a few days will also have cooperative, 4 missions to count as I arrive at the overall situation in Dubai

But all in good obviously not a game that revolutionizes in any respect, that united the multi do not spare the people, it costs
  84. Jan 3, 2013
    Pretty good short Single Player experience. I had one or two laughs but this game is mostly very dark, people die and cry, and mostly it's because of your actions. That's also why I liked this game, you are no hero just a soldier in war.
  85. Nov 11, 2012
    This is the first true game that isn't necessarily as fun as it is moving but that, in no way, is a bad thing.

By this point, I hate modern shooters. Call of Duty and Battlefield are doing the same thing over and over with knockoffs spawning every year. When I first saw this game I counted it off as another knockoff/clone but I was so incredibly wrong. This game brings so much more to the table. This game tells an emotional story based around Joseph Conrad's literary masterpiece Heart of Darkness. Yes, the reviews are correct, the FPS shooter mechanics aren't top notch. The multiplayer feels (and according to the developers was absolutely) tacked on last minute so it could say it had multiplayer, making producers happy. I got frustrated with the 3rd person cover system at times as well. But none of these are the point of the game. The developers even said in interviews they wished in was a standalone campaign without a multiplayer, because it's the campaign that breaks radically new ground in the games industry.

The point is the narrative. PAY ATTENTION TO IT.

After playing FPS clones, we are used to worthless dialogue that doesn't mean anything or hold any value. This game is different. If you pay attention you might see the massive twists before they are spelled out for you. The game also shines in the little things. There are even creepy highly metaphorical scenes near the end of the campaign that don't repeat if you die and have to go through the same section again. The overall level design (it doesn't make sense for a reason), the artwork and the mechanics work together to share an emotional story about PTSD, what war is like and how pathetic we are for wanting to be a part of it.

Overall this game took me completely by surprise and I couldn't be happier.
  86. Jul 16, 2012
    This game has it's strengths and weaknesses. I wouldn't call it a master piece, but it creates a distinct and interesting world that made me want to learn more about what's going on in the devastated city of dubai.
    It's story is different to what one would expect from a typical military shooter and that makes it worth playing.
  87. Jun 28, 2012
    This game is a great tribute to Heart of Darkness. The storyline and plot is riveting. Voice acting is superb and enhances the game greatly. My only gripe is the clunkliness of the controls, even for a 3rd person shooter. Overall, you won't get any better of a plot from a shooter.
  88. Jul 1, 2012
    I think the story was quite engageing and I fast felt like I was a part of it. One of the best features in this title is the story because it's quite deep and well writen. The graphics are pretty solid and what you would expect from a multiplatform game. However the things that drag this game down is the shooting part. The controls are quite bad and atleas I don't get any flow in myI think the story was quite engageing and I fast felt like I was a part of it. One of the best features in this title is the story because it's quite deep and well writen. The graphics are pretty solid and what you would expect from a multiplatform game. However the things that drag this game down is the shooting part. The controls are quite bad and atleas I don't get any flow in my movement due to a clunky cover system. But mostly it's the shooting part that doesn't tickle my fancy. To me it feels soulless and there are no feel of the weapons. But the game is atleast according to me a solid action experiance with a good and wellwriten storyline. Expand
  89. Jul 12, 2012
    I have played a lot of third-person shooters across a wide variety of platforms, and i can honestly say with the up most accuracy that Spec Ops: The Line is one of the best I have ever played. A good story line is hard to find these days in shooter games of all types, however Yager have put a great amount of time and effort into to creating this story masterpiece. From start to finishI have played a lot of third-person shooters across a wide variety of platforms, and i can honestly say with the up most accuracy that Spec Ops: The Line is one of the best I have ever played. A good story line is hard to find these days in shooter games of all types, however Yager have put a great amount of time and effort into to creating this story masterpiece. From start to finish the story kept me hooked and did something that no other shooter has ever done for me, and that is make me feel what the soldiers are feeling. This is the first shooter which really reveals the true horror of war and what it can do to a human being. Graphics are amazing, the post-apocalyptic Dubai is astonishing. Gameplay is enjoyable and flows beautifully. People in the PC community often complain about controls when it comes the third person shooters. Frankly, the mouse and keyboard is not suited for these kinds of games, that is why I bought a controller to use for my computer specifically for these games. In these other reviews people recognize the game as a console port and bring down their scores as a result. I think the PC community should stop complaining and realize that the mouse and keyboard is not the best thing to control great third person shooters. despite this I would recommend this game to anyone who wants to have a great shooter experience that people have never seen in a war game before. Expand
  90. Jul 23, 2013
    Well made shooter, but the story is not entertaining, it's disgusting in the most negative sense of the word. I stopped playing it and uninstalled it after a certain horrible scene. This is not how I want to spend my free time, however realistic it might be, if I wanted this I could turn on the news.

If you want to be forced to feel like crap for playing a FPS, get this. Otherwise get something else.
  91. Jul 16, 2012
    Best game i have played so far this year.The story is very interesting. Never played a third person cover shooter with so deep story before. The characters are easy to relate to and you acually start caring for them.
  92. Jul 28, 2012
    The game has a really good story to it, and that was the only reason that made me play the entire game from start to finish. And at times left me just sitting in front of the pc and asking myself, "Could i have done things differently ?" On the other hand it's just a mediocre cover hugging shooter game that you just play so you will be able to pass from one part of the story to the otherThe game has a really good story to it, and that was the only reason that made me play the entire game from start to finish. And at times left me just sitting in front of the pc and asking myself, "Could i have done things differently ?" On the other hand it's just a mediocre cover hugging shooter game that you just play so you will be able to pass from one part of the story to the other and see what will happen next.
    The graphics(because they seem to be a big part of a players decision to buy a game) are really good, there are a lot of great scenery that you just stay there a little to look at them +for the graphics designers
    Overall, yes, it would be a good game to play, it really takes you into it, played it from start to finish in one day without stopping.
  93. Oct 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoyed this game, the single player had me making moral choices often and at times just wanted to put down the controller and stop fighting. Which is what I choose for my ending, no longer could I handle all this bloodshed and killing of those that were once on my side. At times I would be yelling at the game for having me do something that was very opposite of what i wanted. But in a good way, made me really thing about the environment I was in and what you would have to do if you were them. I never touched the MP, but that was cause I wasn't interested it in, so no thoughts there. Expand
  94. Nov 6, 2012
    Although Spec Ops does not recreate the genre it adds some new things to it:
    Although Spec Ops does not recreate the genre it adds some new things to it:
    First of all: The Story! What starts like generic war story in Dubai turns out to be a moving history about the bad and awful sides of war that games like Battlefield and CoD tend to forget. We get to see how the protagonists suffer from the terrible events they go through. And let me tell you this, there are plenty!
    Secondly : The Atmosphere: The game has a very emerging atmoshpere that draggs you right into to the action.
    Thridly: The Sound: The weapons and the screams of your enemies sound all pretty good.
    The generell gameplay is pretty standart solid thirdpersone shooter stuff.

So as I said at the beginning Spec Ops does not revolutionize the genre BUT it tries to go new ways in storytelling and that is its strengh. At the end of the campain I sat in front of my PC staring at the screen and asking myself what I have done. Because there is no good or bad, it's only bad or worst.
    If you want something new try it...and don't try the demo it's terrible!
  95. Dec 5, 2012
    This was a good game, though it could have been a bit better. The story was there, as long as you can draw the line between fantasy and reality. If you can't do that, keep on browsing for a different game. If you can do that, then you will get to the game play. It is a bit sloppy, but all in all if you are careful, it is possible to actually like it. Not the greatest game out there, but itThis was a good game, though it could have been a bit better. The story was there, as long as you can draw the line between fantasy and reality. If you can't do that, keep on browsing for a different game. If you can do that, then you will get to the game play. It is a bit sloppy, but all in all if you are careful, it is possible to actually like it. Not the greatest game out there, but it is solid. Expand
  96. Jan 6, 2013
    If you want a great single player experience, this is the game you must buy. It's different form other shooters who glorify war and praise war hero's. Spec Ops the Line makes you question your morals and principles. the game forces you to make choices at some points. These choices are not labeled "right"or "wrong" the choices you make are horrible. this game also uses some visual tricksIf you want a great single player experience, this is the game you must buy. It's different form other shooters who glorify war and praise war hero's. Spec Ops the Line makes you question your morals and principles. the game forces you to make choices at some points. These choices are not labeled "right"or "wrong" the choices you make are horrible. this game also uses some visual tricks and there are a lot of easter eggs. so maybe the mp sucks, but this game was never meant to have a mp. The mp is made by a different developer because the original dev refused to put a mp in it because this game is all about the sp experience. Expand
  97. Jan 15, 2013
    this game includes everything you dream of playing shooters: tough battles, good animation of movements, not bad AI, really fresh setting and many other things. The only thing I found irritating was the placement of checkpoints. Once you face a "hard to get through" episode and fail - you have to repeat a 5-minute fighting before this - it's completely disastrous. But yet I found this gamethis game includes everything you dream of playing shooters: tough battles, good animation of movements, not bad AI, really fresh setting and many other things. The only thing I found irritating was the placement of checkpoints. Once you face a "hard to get through" episode and fail - you have to repeat a 5-minute fighting before this - it's completely disastrous. But yet I found this game extremely emotional. While playing, I felt like it was a real combat.
    So that, taking into consideration all the bad-placed checkpoints, my overall mark would be 9 out of 10 as all the other things I enjoyed a lot!
  98. Apr 17, 2013
    Yes, I am late to the party, but I want my two cents worth.
    On face value, The Line isn't much.
    A stock standard, overly-macho, cover-based military shooter that will only excite the imagination of those who do not understand what makes a game good. This is not the case. What is really inside is possibly the most poignant and emotionally affecting plot I have ever experienced in a game.
    Yes, I am late to the party, but I want my two cents worth.
    On face value, The Line isn't much.
    This is not the case. What is really inside is possibly the most poignant and emotionally affecting plot I have ever experienced in a game. And I love it.
    Admittedly, the gameplay isn't much. On that front is relatively what you expect. Bad guy in front of you, kill him. Lots of bad guys in front of you, duck into cover and kill them, but not before a bit of fiddly negotiating with the cover system. This game is made for controller, but it is still easy enough to play with key board and mouse.
    The AI tend to overwhelm you with sheer numbers rather than outthink you, but this only a minor niggle, and if you're playing at a harder difficulty you'll be too busy kicking yourself for dying again to criticise their semi-suicidal behaviour.
    Graphically speaking, it wasn't jarring. The lighting was fine and I only spotted the occasional low-res texture (during gameplay that is, the cutscenes were riddled with them). Character detail was mildly fantastic, and Nolan North and Co. did a top-notch job with voices. Level design could have been better, but nothing felt too linear, and there were only a few vehicle sections which were really not too shabby in execution. Overall the gameplay presented about as much depth as one could expect from a linear shooter.

But were it not for the plot, I probably would not have bothered finishing this game.
    The thing that impressed me most about the plot is the connection it creates between the game and the player. Many games choose to have a silent protagonist in order to have the player imprint themselves on the protagonists identity. Yet The Line has an incredibly vocal main character and still I found I started to see a lot of myself in him. This is probably due to responsibility The Line forces you to take. Without giving too much away, I will say the game puts you in a few situations where you may hate yourself for the outcome you chose. The brutality of some of these moments are brilliantly portrayed, and there is one infamous moment in the game that distressed me so much I exited and did not play it again for a few weeks. The gigantic waves of enemies that you will eliminate unthinkingly throughout the game may seem out of place at first, but by the end their purpose is blindingly clear.
    The thoughts that The Line will plant in your head are disturbing, exhilarating, and nothing short of a gust of fresh air in terms of plot themes.
    And if you are somehow not convinced about the astounding depth of The Line, know this.
    A man by the name of Brendan Keogh wrote a 50,000 word critical analysis of the game. 50,000 words.

And the reason why I have given it 10 is because I do not acknowledge the multiplayer as part of the game. If you don't know the meaning of the words "tacked-on", play the multiplayer of The Line.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 13, 2012
    Spec Ops: The Line tries new and interesting ground on storytelling, but falls short on the action department. Still, it's worth playing through for the atmosphere and few different endings alone. [Aug 2012]
  2. PC Master (Greece)
    Aug 31, 2012
    Were it not for some technical issues and console-related shortcomings (gamepad controls and no anti-aliasing), Spec Ops: The Line would be one of the best games for 2012. But, things being as they are, it remains merely a diamond in the rough, destined for wicked crazy status within the following years. Definitely superior to the related series of Kane & Lynch, it proves that, with a steady vision and soul, a genre so clichéd like military shooters, can not only surprise us pleasantly, but totally overwhelm us. [August 2012]
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Aug 10, 2012
    Expectations were greater than game could have achieved. Yet the new Spec Ops game is a good excuse to stay home and play. [Issue#220]