8.2

1. Apr 12, 2013
    A high quality title in every sense. Controls are excellent even on the PC version, gameplay is solid, has a good story and on highest settings it's one of the most graphically vibrant games. The lighting is better than Battlefield 3 (and certainly the best lighting of any third-person game), textures are crisp, facial detail is excellent and it's not too demanding. Not only does the gameA high quality title in every sense. Controls are excellent even on the PC version, gameplay is solid, has a good story and on highest settings it's one of the most graphically vibrant games. The lighting is better than Battlefield 3 (and certainly the best lighting of any third-person game), textures are crisp, facial detail is excellent and it's not too demanding. Not only does the game look great, it plays well too. Think of it as a military Gears of War with more realistic story, characters & context. This is undoubtedly amongst the greatest third-person shooters on PC. It lacks in innovation and doesn't do anything particularly interesting or new, but it's a great game. One thing to be wary of is that although it's a story-heavy game, it isn't well-explained and can be hard to follow. Even if you don't understand what's going on though, it's still a good story regardless because of the way it's presented and paced. Multiplayer is not even worth considering, since there's nobody playing it online. It's a good job all achievements for the game are offline! Expand
  2. Jan 4, 2013
    Play it for the story, as it is the most emotionally engaging gaming experience I have ever had. The controls are a bit clunky, the AI is a bit weak, and the campaign is short (6 hours). The graphics are pretty average for a 2012 game and the gameplay itself is enjoyable. The biggest task you will have is playing it for the first two hours as they are insanely boring. After that, the storyPlay it for the story, as it is the most emotionally engaging gaming experience I have ever had. The controls are a bit clunky, the AI is a bit weak, and the campaign is short (6 hours). The graphics are pretty average for a 2012 game and the gameplay itself is enjoyable. The biggest task you will have is playing it for the first two hours as they are insanely boring. After that, the story really picks up and draws you in and you will be glad you trucked through those first couple hours. Expand
  3. Aug 25, 2012
    This game was quite a bit different than I was first expecting. First, the good: This game has the most original storyline in a shooter in a long time. It's super engaging and the voice actors really do a terrific job selling it to the player, especially Nolan North, who plays the main character of the game, as he delivers one of his most impressive performances in a long time. It's reallyThis game was quite a bit different than I was first expecting. First, the good: This game has the most original storyline in a shooter in a long time. It's super engaging and the voice actors really do a terrific job selling it to the player, especially Nolan North, who plays the main character of the game, as he delivers one of his most impressive performances in a long time. It's really engaging and will have you guessing till the end. Now the bad: The gameplay is average at best. It's a cover based style shooter, much like Gears of War, but the cover system is nowhere near as sound as that game was and the controls in this game are pretty bad. The controls themselves will cause a few deaths in the later stages of the campaign mode so just prepare yourself for some cheap, unavoidable deaths toward the end. The multiplayer is not very good, mostly because of the same problems as above. I had problems staying in the few games I tried playing, and only finished one of the matches I went into cause of connection issues. But this game is single-player focused and you should buy it for the single-player.....but not right now. Spec Ops is not worth the full price most places are asking for it right now. This game would easily be worth 20-30 bucks, and I wouldn't hesitate to jump on it if I were to see it at that price. However, the flaws and the fact that there's plenty of better shooters to play if all you is multiplayer, keep this from being a game that is worthy of your average person's hard earned cash. I can personally see this game being in that price range toward the end of the year so wait till then unless you see some sort of special deal. But wait on this game and go buy Gears 3 and the DLC for the 360 if you REALLY have to fill a need for a 3rd Person Shooter right now. Expand
  4. Jun 21, 2015
    It is one of the best shooters with exceptional story and a superb feeling .
  5. Apr 10, 2017
    The overall story arch and decisions this game forces you to make are brilliant. This is a great experience and it keeps you going through out. Couple of drawbacks, the game on PC is a fairly straight console port and that causes a few issues with controls and graphics. Gameplay is generic enough, enjoyable at times but nothing special. Still well worth it for the story.
  6. May 11, 2013
    I am not into military shooters, but I really enjoy playing spec ops. The action is great, visuals are decent as well, They could of added alittle more detail. Voice acting is professional, the characters sound great!
    Buy this game!
  7. Sep 10, 2015
    This game has an outstanding story! Yes, some of it could be a little quirky....but it is still one of the best fps stories I've ever encountered. Also, the game has excellent character progression. The gun gameplay, is simple cover and shoot... Nothing special. The level design, visuals, and AI are mediocre to downright awful. Conclusion: get it for the story, but don't buy it for full…
  8. Aug 3, 2013
    spec ops the line has one of the most amazing stories in games although the gameplay is familiar cover and shoot but new mechanics like using the environment is really cool and your companions can be helpful although controls are frustrating sometimes but the story will keep you interested to the end and i enjoyed walking around Dubai it has a great environment and descent graphicsspec ops the line has one of the most amazing stories in games although the gameplay is familiar cover and shoot but new mechanics like using the environment is really cool and your companions can be helpful although controls are frustrating sometimes but the story will keep you interested to the end and i enjoyed walking around Dubai it has a great environment and descent graphics in a nutshell spec ops has familiar game play but one of the most awesome stories you'll encounter Expand
  9. Oct 27, 2016
    Not the most refined 3rd person shooter, but it works. Have to mention the insane difficulty spikes that occur, on FUBAR difficulty setting game is just impossible to play when youre being thrown at with hordes of enemies in set piece moments, its pretty much means insta death. When it comes to using cover game depending on cover type wont allow you to stay long in it since some of it getsNot the most refined 3rd person shooter, but it works. Have to mention the insane difficulty spikes that occur, on FUBAR difficulty setting game is just impossible to play when youre being thrown at with hordes of enemies in set piece moments, its pretty much means insta death. When it comes to using cover game depending on cover type wont allow you to stay long in it since some of it gets destroyed or enemy rushes you, so you cant be lazy and do all the work from behind cover. Your AI squad mates are competent enough to stay in cover and take out enemies when under orders, but can struggle at times. Jaeger makes really good use of the UE3 and has made a very good looking and running game on the PC.

Where this game really pulls ahead of other military shooters is its mature and pretty unique to the genre story. Deeper you go the more mind bending it gets with plot twists and turns. Saying more about it would spoil it.

Easily can reccomend this for people who love a good story in a shooter over fancy gameplay mechanics.
  10. Jan 27, 2013
    This game has, unlike other shooters, a very strong story in the campaign. The voice acting is fabulous, the art style is excellent, the sound is amazing. I have yet to try the coop and the multi-player but I thoroughly enjoyed the campaign. My only issue was the length - completed it in around 11.5 hours. It has some replay value since the game does alter with the decisions you make.This game has, unlike other shooters, a very strong story in the campaign. The voice acting is fabulous, the art style is excellent, the sound is amazing. I have yet to try the coop and the multi-player but I thoroughly enjoyed the campaign. My only issue was the length - completed it in around 11.5 hours. It has some replay value since the game does alter with the decisions you make. And although the campaign was short, I am at a loss as to how you could have extended it without making it laborious. Since I picked it up on sale for $7.69 you really can't go wrong! Expand
  11. May 5, 2013
    Spec Ops: The Line is a psychological deconstruction of the shooter genre masquerading as a third person shooter with mediocre mechanics. I don't want to go into too much depth talking about the story, but it's very, very dark, and very, very good. Level design and atmosphere are top notch, but the shooting, controls and weapons are awkward leave a lot to be desired. The shootingSpec Ops: The Line is a psychological deconstruction of the shooter genre masquerading as a third person shooter with mediocre mechanics. I don't want to go into too much depth talking about the story, but it's very, very dark, and very, very good. Level design and atmosphere are top notch, but the shooting, controls and weapons are awkward leave a lot to be desired. The shooting portions seem to drag on even though you can complete it in about 5-6 hours, and I guess there's an obligatory multiplayer mode too. Don't get this game to shoot stuff, get it because of the story. Expand
  12. Sep 5, 2015
    I had heard about this game and tried not to have it spoiled for me. Once I finally sat down and started playing it I couldn't stop. The story drove me and the action kept it fun and fast paced. The story is much deeper than a lot of military shooters and it really left me thinking, something few games do once they are completed.
  13. Jan 16, 2013
    Spec Ops combines mediocre gameplay with impressive visuals and a compelling story to create a must-play experience. The 3rd-person shooter gameplay is pretty unimpressive: the cover system is temperamental, the aiming sucks, the weapons are boring, and stealth is rarely possible. Moreover, the two squad mates which you are obliged to work with are rarely more than a liability. ThankfullySpec Ops combines mediocre gameplay with impressive visuals and a compelling story to create a must-play experience. The 3rd-person shooter gameplay is pretty unimpressive: the cover system is temperamental, the aiming sucks, the weapons are boring, and stealth is rarely possible. Moreover, the two squad mates which you are obliged to work with are rarely more than a liability. Thankfully the game makes up for these major shortcomings by placing you in a truly impressive setting: the sand-covered city of Dubai. Not only does this uniquely-opulent city serve as eye-candy (the attention to detail is as impressive as the models themselves), but it creates a truly memorable geography: the sand-dune you're fighting on might turn out to be on top of a skyscraper, or you might take refuge from a sand storm inside a hotel with a giant aquarium beneath your feet. Finally, the narrative told through the game and the emotional impact of the events as they unfold are very good. Spec Ops does a surprisingly good job of not only telling a compelling story, but of making you empathize with the characters and internalize your actions. It's a game that will make you question your own actions within the game and by extension, your attitude toward such military/shooter games. Despite its flaws, this is a game which I wholeheartedly recommend. Expand
  14. Oct 12, 2012
    Spec Ops is an interesting game. Its cover-based shoot and duck gameplay works pretty well and the developers have put some interesting ideas involving sand into the game that i really enjoyed. The gameplay do have some of the issues that duck and cover games often have. Regenerated health can get really annoying, a ridiculous amount of enemies at every shoot-out room, the shooting gets aSpec Ops is an interesting game. Its cover-based shoot and duck gameplay works pretty well and the developers have put some interesting ideas involving sand into the game that i really enjoyed. The gameplay do have some of the issues that duck and cover games often have. Regenerated health can get really annoying, a ridiculous amount of enemies at every shoot-out room, the shooting gets a little bit repetitive after a while. Despite this i would say that the gameplay is pretty good, but that is not where the game shines. What makes this game shine is its story and atmosphere and how the game presents them. Spec ops has a very unique story and a very unique way of presenting it. The games story and presentation is just amazing and something that i have never seen in a military shooter before and i wholeheartedly recommend this game for every shooter enthusiast out there simple for the games narrative. Expand
  15. Jul 29, 2013
    This is just a great game, with stunning visuals, great game-play and an innovative story for the genre. The ambience is breathtaking and you'll get glued playing for hours. Music is also very immersive and meshes extremely well with the style of the game. One of the best TPS out there.
  16. Dec 7, 2012
    First of all, I must say that it's a great shame that this game is overlooked by many because it looks like a generic military shooter, while it's not. From the gameplay side, everything is quite familiar, yes - cover, weapons, health regeneration, grenades. But from the story side, it's a whole different thing. When regular shooters make you a hero, this game makes you not just a villain,First of all, I must say that it's a great shame that this game is overlooked by many because it looks like a generic military shooter, while it's not. From the gameplay side, everything is quite familiar, yes - cover, weapons, health regeneration, grenades. But from the story side, it's a whole different thing. When regular shooters make you a hero, this game makes you not just a villain, it makes you feel doing good things ultimately revealing the main character - and you, with him - to be a madman, a criminal who tries to justify his horrible actions. And it succeeds in that, the plot is gripping, the characters are believable, the violence you witness is just horrific and the ending (4 of them, actually) is straight-out shocking. Trust me, you'll be left thinking of what just happened during the course of the 6-or-so hour campaign and you will want to play through it again just to see things clearly this time. The Line is a definite must-play for any action game and mature, dark storytelling fan. Are you ready to cross it? Expand
  17. Jun 2, 2014
    The biggest positive mindphuck I have experienced in all of my years gaming. This game early on does an excellent job of pretending to be just another shooter with the mediocre story then later, immediately grabs you and jumps into hyperspace to give you the darkest, most evil gripping story ever. War is hell--- and no amount of trying to do the right thing will redeem your burned soul.
  18. Mar 7, 2013
    If you are still on the fence about this one, wait no more and buy it.
    This was for me one of the best games i've played in 2012 and one of the most underrated too.
    Storyline is fantastic and quite a (in a good way), i think you'll enjoy it. The voiceacting is perfect (Nolan North, a.k.a Nathan Drake from Uncharted). The gameplay is good, a little repetitive but not a big problem.
    If you are still on the fence about this one, wait no more and buy it.

The gameplay is good, a little repetitive but not a big problem.
    Visually amazing and Dubai looks incredible in this game, even if it is in ruins and covered in Sands. :p
  19. Dec 9, 2014
    I definitly recommend this game, if you're into something meaningful and not *just* pure entertainment. In short:

The good stuff - *Great story, make you face the true horrors of war *Amazingly done soundtrack *Nice graphics *Finally a shooter with some depth *Moral choices throughout the game *This game has a really good chance of invoking many sorts of feeling in you The bad

The good stuff -
    *Great story, make you face the true horrors of war
    *Amazingly done soundtrack
    *Nice graphics
    *Finally a shooter with some depth
    *Moral choices throughout the game
    *This game has a really good chance of invoking many sorts of feeling in you

The bad stuff -
    *Gameplay is (a bit) too usual, does get (a little) repetitive
    *Minor and not-too-frequent technical buggies (and a loading screen which takes its time)
    *By any means, this is no light experience, so if you're looking for pure fun without much around, this might be somewhat heavy for you.

I got really curious about this game after reading other reviews.
    When I started playing I thought at first that it's just another regular shooter and didn't get the fuss, but as I advanced I found out I was partly wrong.
    In terms of gameplay, this is mostly just a regular shooter, but in terms of story and atmosphere, I've never seen anything like that!
    Unlike many other shooters and war-games in general, this game doesn't try to make war look like 'fun' or anything heroic. For the first time (as far as I know) a video game tries to deliver the true meaning of military conflicts, as much as a video game can.
    You get to feel the impact on the people and how devastating it can be, for both the civillians and the soldiers themselves.

If you're looking for simple 'fun' with shooting and killing, this game isn't necessarily good for you, as it explores the darker sides of war and has quite a few moment which could make you feel sadness, anger, and such things.. But not fun.

Unfortunately the gameplay doesn't bring anything new and innovative to the genre, and I even found it boring at times. You get to play with one main character which can, at times, command other two soldiers, so there's a little tactical thinking through it all, but mostly it's just a regular shooter.
    The story completely compensates for it, though, and throughout the game you'll have to make a few difficult moral choices.
    At first I was a little disappointed when I found out they have no actual effect on the story, but I realized that they're there for the psychological impact, and that's what the game is based on.

So, in short, gameplay is mehh and it does get a little repetitive - but for the sake of story it's worth it

But that's not all of course.
    The soundtrack is absolutely amazing, as it's masterfully integrated into the game.
    The original soundtack for the game is mostly made up of rockish-style tracks - which is very refreshing for the genre and for video game music in general, and also some licensed soundtrack (couple of tracks from different artists such as Jimi Hendrix and Bjork) which greatly contributes to the game and as I said, the music is involved in the game amazingly.
    If you're of the type who pays attention to the music in the background, you're going to enjoy this one!

The graphics didn't get much praise generally, but I liked them. There were vast environments in the game and they were all designed beautifully in my opinion, some looked darker and some were colorful and alive (graphically), and I really enjoyed just wandering around and exploring (at least when you're not being shot at)

Technically the game was almost perfect, it worked without many issues. Happened to me twice in the game that after switching guns I couldn't pick up my former gun.. which was really annoying, and also there were sudden moments where the textures quality got really ugly for some reasons, and after dying or reloading it got fine.
    Also, the loading screens were an annoying issue, as it took the game about 10 seconds to reload a checkpoint, which isn't that bad but on tough parts when I died over and over again it got on my nerves.

That's it though, and eventually, these things are fully forgiven, as this game gave me a strong and interesting experience, and left a very good impression on me.
    Seems to me like the devs really worked with their heart and soul on this one, and I hope they'd work on more things like that.
  20. Nov 9, 2015
    A game you will love or hate, absolutely. As a military shooter, it's a generic but functional game with a useless tacked-on multiplayer mode that the developers have openly disowned. As a story-based singleplayer experience, it's notable for taking what starts as the most generic story imaginable and turning it into a meta-narrative that questions the the nature of video games while theA game you will love or hate, absolutely. As a military shooter, it's a generic but functional game with a useless tacked-on multiplayer mode that the developers have openly disowned. As a story-based singleplayer experience, it's notable for taking what starts as the most generic story imaginable and turning it into a meta-narrative that questions the the nature of video games while the protagonist questions his own heroism. While not perfect in its storytelling, it tries something that flies in the face of current trends and is essentially a giant middle-finger to Call of Duty and its imitators. Either you'll be on board with the idea and enjoy its ambiguous storyline, or you'll find it a pretentious attempt at an art game built on the back of a mediocre shooter. If you're curious, it's worth the time and money simply because it exists. Expand
  21. Jun 27, 2012
    The story and voice acting in this game are phenomenal. Couple with solid gameplay and controls, plus the "sand mechanics" and you've got a winner. I haven't tried multipler but the single player is great.
  22. Jan 8, 2013
    I am still wondering why this game got just an average score. If you get trough the first hour where the game still tries to disguise itself as conventional Hooray! - Shooter, you will be rewarded with average-to-good gameplay, good atmosphere and a really amazing experience which sucks you in (if you let it). Everything else would be too much spoiler, but let's say it breaks here and thenI am still wondering why this game got just an average score. If you get trough the first hour where the game still tries to disguise itself as conventional Hooray! - Shooter, you will be rewarded with average-to-good gameplay, good atmosphere and a really amazing experience which sucks you in (if you let it). Everything else would be too much spoiler, but let's say it breaks here and then with the usual shooter mechanic and leaves the player slightly baffeled about his own actions. Expand
  23. Mar 20, 2015
    spec ops the line. is without a doubt. the MOST CRIMINALLY UNDERRATED GEM IN GAMING. you would never understand until you play. it is on 6$ dollars on steam. go get it

Pros the graphics are amazing. the visuals are awesome the story for now is great. replay value 100% amazing hit detection awesome textures. one of the best endings. and twist i've ever seen amazing sound effects

Pros
    the graphics are amazing. the visuals are awesome
    the story for now is great.
    replay value 100%
    amazing hit detection
    awesome textures.
    one of the best endings. and twist i've ever seen
    amazing sound effects and sound design
    great voice acting
    awesome characters
    ONE OF THE BEST ATMOSPHERES, EVER !

cons:
    the ai is kinda generic. sometimes is fine, mostly the shotgun AI is terrible. but most of them are fine..
    level design is kinda linear.
    bad mouse sensitivity

overall. don't buy it at 30$, it's now on 6 bucks on steam GET IT, BUY IT, REVIEW IT !
  24. Oct 6, 2012
    It is rare that the game sucked so plot, atmosphere. It is rare that a choice in the game a long time and then we wonder so regret your choice. Really great atmosphere and feelings that accompany the game. It is true that the gameplay itself is not a medal, and the game could be made ​​better, then it is a good fun game that is worth playing. My Rating - 7.5 / 10
  25. Nov 1, 2012
    it's shooter mechanics are nothing to write home about, and the controls seem odd and unintuitive. melee is bound to the vault over cover button but taking cover is bound to the sprint button? doesnt make much sense. thankfully spec ops brings a well paced and brain melting story. every gamer should play this for that alone
  26. Aug 25, 2014
    6. Finishes right where it should without becoming a drag

1. Very buggy and lots of technical issues
    2. The combat is mediocre at best
  27. Dec 1, 2015
    awesome gameplay and story but to short . .
  28. Aug 3, 2014
    This game hit me like a ton of bricks. It should be called the anti-Call of Duty. You question the morality of what you're doing and the consequences of your actions. This isn't some laughable morality system like in Bio-Shock, this is a game that shocks and forces you to contemplate what you're doing.
    The gameplay is ok in a Gears of War kind of way and graphics are very console, but the story, Jesus, the story. I'm still thinking about it. Christ, the ending has got to be one of the best I've seen.

I can't give the story away but you can see touches of Apocalypse Now every now and then. There is no ham-fisted message about war being bad. There is no sentimental manipulation. It's all presented as matter of fact and you'll feel it in your stomach.

Recomended as a rare experience in gaming. There's no jingoism of flag waving here.
    No other game shaken me like this and the ending, man, the ending... I need a hug.
  29. Apr 2, 2013
    One of the best games I've played: breathtaking plot (4 alternative endings and the story itself are so deep), top-notch graphic, superb control (idk about others i play the game on 32" screen with XBOX joypad), mesmerizing ost all this makes the game one of my favorite!
    I stumbled on the game while looking for smth similar to another brilliant game "Binary Domain", first I watched a good review, than I was glad to see there's a demo tried it and after that I was totally in love with the game and decided to buy it.
    Now I am on my second round of completing the game it's so cool and interesting that I can't stop playing it. Thx Yager for such a brilliant game! I'd wish nowadays game were more like this one.
  30. Aug 8, 2012
    This game reallyq sells itself by blowing you away immediately. The gameplay is exciting and the visuals are astonishing.I must say I love the beginning levels way more than for example BF3's and MW3's. I play the game at resolution 3240x1920 which makes it all way more high res off course. Buy pc systems, so technical progress like made in this game will continue. X360 or PS3 aside is okThis game reallyq sells itself by blowing you away immediately. The gameplay is exciting and the visuals are astonishing.I must say I love the beginning levels way more than for example BF3's and MW3's. I play the game at resolution 3240x1920 which makes it all way more high res off course. Buy pc systems, so technical progress like made in this game will continue. X360 or PS3 aside is ok but build up your real game monster aka PC with care first. Expand

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 13, 2012
    Spec Ops: The Line tries new and interesting ground on storytelling, but falls short on the action department. Still, it's worth playing through for the atmosphere and few different endings alone. [Aug 2012]
  2. PC Master (Greece)
    Aug 31, 2012
    Were it not for some technical issues and console-related shortcomings (gamepad controls and no anti-aliasing), Spec Ops: The Line would be one of the best games for 2012. But, things being as they are, it remains merely a diamond in the rough, destined for wicked crazy status within the following years. Definitely superior to the related series of Kane & Lynch, it proves that, with a steady vision and soul, a genre so clichéd like military shooters, can not only surprise us pleasantly, but totally overwhelm us. [August 2012]
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Aug 10, 2012
    Expectations were greater than game could have achieved. Yet the new Spec Ops game is a good excuse to stay home and play. [Issue#220]