Spec Ops: The Line PC

8.2

1. Oct 10, 2013
    A brilliant story and a visual treat, only to be hampered by linear not very great gallery shooting riddled with clunky mechanics such as cover system and problematic AI. Could be a greater experience if it was slightly more diverse and flexible and smoother overall features. None the less a decent experience.
  2. May 6, 2013
    Incredible game, I had heard awful things before buying on steam for $8, but this game has blown me away. The story locked me in from the very beginning. Stories really cannot be more under rated now-a-days as most gameplay seems to be discarded for graphics and dlc
  3. Aug 28, 2013
    What can I say about this game. The gameplay was ok, though nothing we haven't seen in countless other shooters. What is super annoying however is the "America vs. the world" garbage found in so many games and movies nowadays. Right down to the guitar solo playing during the main menu I mean seriously, how cliché is that.

What a joke. Even for a free game, I'm still left feeling

What a joke. Even for a free game, I'm still left feeling somehow ripped off.
  4. Aug 25, 2014
    6. Finishes right where it should without becoming a drag

1. Very buggy and lots of technical issues
    2. The combat is mediocre at best
  5. Sep 7, 2013
    I played the PC version. Standard third person 100% shooter where you're led by the nose between set pieces. You've seen it a hundred times before: you can take dozens of hits, the world consists of rows of waist-high cover, your health regenerates in seconds, the enemy respawns endlessly, yada yada yada. The graphics are par for the course, controls are awful, the story ridiculous.

If

If you like this type of game... well, shame on you, you're the reason PC games suck so badly nowadays.
  6. Nov 18, 2013
    While it's mediocre third person action fest albeit with some gorgeous set pieces with a soundtrack of Alice in Chains. Björk The Black Angels, Black Mountain, Deep Purple, Inner Circle's, Jimi Hendrix, Martha and the Vandellas Mogwai, Nine Inch Nails and Giuseppe Verdi helps a lot to compensate
  7. Jan 31, 2016
    More than anything, Spec Ops shows the power of a good narrative and good voice acting. But beyond that, and some pretty scenery, there's not much there. The gunplay and mechanics feel like a dumbed down version of Rainbow Six Vegas. And worst of all, the developers seem to have overlooked the most basic, fundamental part of a shooter, the mouse. The mouse control is ridiculously sensitiveMore than anything, Spec Ops shows the power of a good narrative and good voice acting. But beyond that, and some pretty scenery, there's not much there. The gunplay and mechanics feel like a dumbed down version of Rainbow Six Vegas. And worst of all, the developers seem to have overlooked the most basic, fundamental part of a shooter, the mouse. The mouse control is ridiculously sensitive and yet somehow also unresponsive. This wouldn't be a problem except that you need to change the settings before starting your game or they won't take effect, and if you alter anything in game, it goes back to being hypersensitive.

I just don't get the obsession with this game. Fundamentally broken mechanics will ruin any shooter.
  8. Mar 12, 2016
    that stipid f**ng armor brutes nearly impossible, shot them right in the face and they dont care. who the hell comes up with that "great" idea. i bet there is no sequel because of this stupid sh**.
  9. Aug 7, 2014
    almost as amazing as The Last Of Us

Gameplay:
    Gunfire: takes a long while getting used to
    Covor: averadge at best

Graphics: fine

overall it is one of the best games ive ever played. it proudly stands at the top of the War games along side Modern Warfare 2
  10. Jul 13, 2014
    I played this game for a few hours and I have no motivation to continue. I have heard that the story is fantastic and really brings up the horrid nature of war and survival, but so far all it did was wimp out of a chance of really making the player feel uncomfortable about what there doing by having all the enemies be terrible evil people rather than just folks trying to survive. When youI played this game for a few hours and I have no motivation to continue. I have heard that the story is fantastic and really brings up the horrid nature of war and survival, but so far all it did was wimp out of a chance of really making the player feel uncomfortable about what there doing by having all the enemies be terrible evil people rather than just folks trying to survive. When you take that away all you have is the gameplay, and this is the most painfully generic third person shooter I have ever played, I mean it, It brings absolutely nothing to the table. I was disappointed. The good parts of it are that the visuals are really cool and there are some amazingly creative and awe striking levels that really show the power of nature and really try and convey the desperation of the dead city, voice acting and characters are enjoyable too. But the GAME part of the game is so painfully generic that Its no fun to play. I quit when the main character fell of a **** building for no reason and survived, I normally would not focus on this s much if the game was not trying to be realistic and gritty. Expand
  11. Sep 8, 2014
    Spec Ops The Line has a history fantastic.the history of this game and more impressive than the TLOUS.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  12. Sep 1, 2014
    First off the early story of the game is quite interesting, though they never explain what exactly happened with Dubai. Then it goes preachy. This isn't the subtle "war is bad" moral quandary one might expect with a few moral choices, every chance it gets, it beats over the head with the message. Even during loading screens where it asks "do you feel like a hero yet?" or "how manyFirst off the early story of the game is quite interesting, though they never explain what exactly happened with Dubai. Then it goes preachy. This isn't the subtle "war is bad" moral quandary one might expect with a few moral choices, every chance it gets, it beats over the head with the message. Even during loading screens where it asks "do you feel like a hero yet?" or "how many Americans have you killed today?" There are some upsides to the game, plenty of weapons to choose from to kill enemies with (hint: those would be Americans), a great soundtrack featuring some cool classic rock songs. One firefight that was cool was in a tower in Dubai (most of them are actually) and they had nowhere to run, nowhere to hide by Martha And The Vandellas, all while hunting down enemy forces. Now to the truly awful. The mechanics. It seems the designers were sick during that section of development and just phoned it in. I honestly want to know what genius decided to map the sprint, cover and action to the same button. The AI is basic, and that goes for both sides. The collision detection is a joke, I managed to get shot through cover almost constantly. The game had potential, I've played bad games simply for the story. If a story drags me in then I can suffer through mechanics that were designed by a team of four year olds. What I can't suffer is when I pay for a game and the dev team gets preachy and bashes me over the head with the same message for every level for 8+ levels. Eventually I stopped playing because of that simple fact. I would recommend avoiding the game and finding a game worth your money. I cannot fathom who the target market is for this game, unless there's a demographic that likes being told that they're evil and disturbed individuals every time they load the game. Honestly, avoid this one folks, even if you see it in the bargain bin. It's just not worth it. Expand
  13. Dec 1, 2015
    awesome gameplay and story but to short . .
  14. Jul 7, 2014
    This is a game that once you've finished it the first time, you will not want to play again because you won't feel good about the killing anymore. So zero replay value due to the emotional effect it has on you. But, that first time through, damn what an experience. It's like a really good, horrifying war movie. If it was a movie you could watch it over and over because you are not the oneThis is a game that once you've finished it the first time, you will not want to play again because you won't feel good about the killing anymore. So zero replay value due to the emotional effect it has on you. But, that first time through, damn what an experience. It's like a really good, horrifying war movie. If it was a movie you could watch it over and over because you are not the one pulling the trigger. However in the game it is you and the game forces you to make your character do things you don't want him to do. You want to tell your character, "don't do this". Expand
  15. Jan 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Do not play this expecting anything great. Repetitive, tedious gameplay is a series of tightly enclosed shooting arenas strung together by a story that at least tries to be different from your average COD-BF-War-Campaign. That said, inconsistencies in how it is presented gave me a headache. Do my choices matter? Do I actually even have choices? The answer to both of those questions is unfortunately- No. Giving players the illusion of choice is frankly annoying, especially when the character I play is then berated for going through with what the writers forced him to do anyway. The main character/anti-hero seems to be completely incompetent at his job, and his lack of imagination is constantly demonstrated by his rationalizing at his supposed lack of options, which are rigidly enforced as we, the players, sit through as he bumbles his way through massacring what seems to be the majority of Dubai. I really have a hard time understanding why this is a story one would want to tell. There are plenty of situations where people are forced to make terrible choices, and war is an obvious way to highlight that. Unfortunately, the way that is presented here is both incredibly contrived, and frankly a bit silly. You're also left in the dark as to what exactly is happening here. What's going on with all of the sand? Why did the 33rd go crazy? Why is there no backup? Why is there suddenly tons of water at the end when we were told we'd destroyed the last of it in that long truck escape? Maybe I missed some explanation somewhere, but there's a bit too much mystery left here.

tl;dr If you like sand, this is your game.
  16. Sep 27, 2014
    after completing spec ops the line i have to say this is the best of games i've ever played easily one the grayest story's in video game history you play martin walker a rescue team man with 3 others you start by killing people and more people however then you play this game i can't talk about this game but its a third person shooter the story is amazing without spoilers its not easy toafter completing spec ops the line i have to say this is the best of games i've ever played easily one the grayest story's in video game history you play martin walker a rescue team man with 3 others you start by killing people and more people however then you play this game i can't talk about this game but its a third person shooter the story is amazing without spoilers its not easy to explain much this game is just amazing Expand
  17. Jan 18, 2016
    The story I got wasn't at all what I expected. This game deserves an 8 for no other reason than trying their hardest to give a great single player campaign experience.... something far too rare in FPS games. My only regret is waiting so long to play it, but a Steam sale finally convinced me.
  18. Jun 2, 2014
    The biggest positive mindphuck I have experienced in all of my years gaming. This game early on does an excellent job of pretending to be just another shooter with the mediocre story then later, immediately grabs you and jumps into hyperspace to give you the darkest, most evil gripping story ever. War is hell--- and no amount of trying to do the right thing will redeem your burned soul.
  19. Apr 10, 2017
    The overall story arch and decisions this game forces you to make are brilliant. This is a great experience and it keeps you going through out. Couple of drawbacks, the game on PC is a fairly straight console port and that causes a few issues with controls and graphics. Gameplay is generic enough, enjoyable at times but nothing special. Still well worth it for the story.
  20. Dec 7, 2016
    I just had to say that the depth in strory telling of this game is amazing. The reveals are the best i have seen even if the game play is so so. It is worth a quick play through just for the experiance as a whole. Watch a youtube video about the hidden meaning and it will blow your mind away!!! JUST DO IT!!!!!!
  21. Jul 10, 2014
    Story:
    Captain Walker, Lieutenant Adams, and Staff Sergeant Lugo, a 3-man delta squad, are sent to traverse a storm wall through to the outskirts of a mostly-buried Dubai on foot. Their goal: To find info on whether or not a missing infantry unit is still alive. The events that follow will soon take a much more darker tone than what I expected. I love this game's narrative for going beyond the average military shooter cliches and going for a more realistic and darker tone. There were moments where I was disgusted by what I saw, and that's a good thing. The acting and dialogue here is A+ worthy and it's interesting and engaging to see our 3-man squad adapt and evolve as they go through the events of the game. Sgt. Walker is a complex character because of how his mental health throughout the game interferes with his desire to complete his mission, and all of it comes to a close in what are a set of interesting endings to choose from, and none of them were predictable. All of them are interesting in their own way. The story here is a prime example of video games being capable of telling engrossing and fantastic stories at a level greater than or equal to movies and books. 10/10

Gameplay:
    Unfortunately, the gameplay can't live up to the near perfect story since the gameplay follows 3rd-person shooter cliches. I enjoyed the shooting, cover system, and vehicle sections of the game, but that's about it. The squad A.I. isn't really smart, and both Adams and Lugo would often struggle with hitting 1 enemy, even when I'd mark him for them. I also didn't like how scarce ammo was in this game for some guns, especially since it contradicts the game. And to make things worse, you can only carry 2 guns at a time. You would often run out of ammo in the middle of a firefight, and since the game has a habit of throwing 20+ enemies at you, you'll often have to resort to picking up their weapons and restocking from their dead bodies. I also think that on normal mode, you would die with too little shots required. One second you're fine, the next second your screen's grey. The level design is also pretty straightforward with no additional passageways to take in missions. As a whole, including deaths, I completed the game in about 5 hours, which is more on the short side. It's clear that this is one game where story is what drives the player to complete it, not gameplay. 7/10

Graphics:
    The graphics still look great on PC at max settings. Despite being in a desert, the game uses a variety of colors and mission settings to keep the game looking fresh. The bloom is great here (even if it gets overused in some sequences), the textures still look good to this day, and the character models look gritty and fit the game's dark tone well. The lip-syncing here is also perfect as even in gameplay, the character's lips move in-sync to their dialogue. My only gripe here is that some of the cut-scenes don't look all that great. But visually, the game still looks stunning. 8/10

Sound:
    The score here is filled with some great Rock tracks that play while in combat. The orchestral score also does a fine job here at building up emotion while playing. The gun sounds are good, and overall, the sound design here is great. 9/10

Multiplayer:
    The multiplayer is dead here on PC, and I'm willing to bet it's also dead on consoles. So don't buy this game for its multiplayer. And from what I've heard, the games's multiplayer sucks.

Verdict:
    Spec Ops: The Line features probably one of the best stories I've ever seen from not only military shooters, but in my whole gaming career. If only the gameplay could live up to the story though. The visuals and sound are both great, and the multiplayer is dead. I'll say for its $30 cost, it's well worth the purchase if you don't mind having to only play the single player portion.

Rating: 9/10
  22. Oct 9, 2014
    A game every gamer should play. Average gameplay with amazing story and characters.

After it was over I sat in front of my PC and just repeated "the horror"
  23. Aug 18, 2014
    Spec Ops: The line begins with a breath of fresh air, although its apparent that the boring lackluster game play and technological issue are evident after the first battle cry. Yes it does effect the game. Especially the cover system. Just shocking at times and will lead you to frustration. This does take you away from the interesting story, which is the driving force of the game. AlthoughSpec Ops: The line begins with a breath of fresh air, although its apparent that the boring lackluster game play and technological issue are evident after the first battle cry. Yes it does effect the game. Especially the cover system. Just shocking at times and will lead you to frustration. This does take you away from the interesting story, which is the driving force of the game. Although its you'r average first person shooter at times the atmosphere is on point. Character and dialogue are extremely satisfying and the redeeming conclusion will make the frustrating times some what fade. All in all the game becomes tiresome and more like a chore, however if you find the game on sale go for it! Expand
  24. Nov 12, 2015
    omg ok when i started this game i thought the gameplay is ass how could it be any good but without trying to give to much away gameplay almost doesn't matter for this title and when it does you are rewarded heavily for thinking outside the box and ignoring what your told to do the story of this game is awesome and anyone who complains this game sucked because C.O.D. plays or looks betteromg ok when i started this game i thought the gameplay is ass how could it be any good but without trying to give to much away gameplay almost doesn't matter for this title and when it does you are rewarded heavily for thinking outside the box and ignoring what your told to do the story of this game is awesome and anyone who complains this game sucked because C.O.D. plays or looks better just doesn't get the point and should never have played it in the first place. One of my all time favorite games, blew me out of the water I don't have enough good to say about it 20 out of 10 Expand
  25. Jul 29, 2014
    This is one of the best story driven games I have ever played. It makes Call of Duty and Battlefield look as deep as Sunday morning Marmaduke cartoon writing compared to All quite on the Western Front. This is the story of Martin Walker and his descent into the reality of war when he and his Delta team go into Dubai.

This is a story told in a cover based modern shooter game, not a

This is a story told in a cover based modern shooter game, not a modern shooter game with a story to pass the time when the internet is out and you can't get in a quick match.

Buy this game. Play this game. Read all quite on the Western front.
  26. Sep 5, 2015
    I had heard about this game and tried not to have it spoiled for me. Once I finally sat down and started playing it I couldn't stop. The story drove me and the action kept it fun and fast paced. The story is much deeper than a lot of military shooters and it really left me thinking, something few games do once they are completed.
  27. Dec 2, 2014
    The story is awesome, and well structured. It is probably the main attraction of the game. The gameplay is alright, there is not really anything new or ground breaking about it. Just plain and simple cover and shoot (it is however very satisfying to get a headshot and see your enemies' heads explode in slow motion.) The graphics as well as the level design is ok, but nothing breath taking.The story is awesome, and well structured. It is probably the main attraction of the game. The gameplay is alright, there is not really anything new or ground breaking about it. Just plain and simple cover and shoot (it is however very satisfying to get a headshot and see your enemies' heads explode in slow motion.) The graphics as well as the level design is ok, but nothing breath taking. It does not take a long time to finish the game, it can be done in 5-6 hours on the hardest difficulty available at your first playthrough. Overall a good game, which is easy to enjoy and a good experience. I can recommend it for anyone interested in 3rd person shooters and a good story. Expand
  28. Jul 22, 2014
    A 9/10 because of the gameplay, which is pretty standard. But don't play it because of the gameplay, play it for the story, which is downright amazing, I won't spoil anything, but just take me by my word. If you play it on normal difficulty, it should only take you about 5-6 hours to beat, but you'll probably play it again just to understand the story better.
  29. Jun 20, 2014
    -Mass Murder Refrain
    -Post Modern art
    -Deconstruction -Remains in disarray -Failed to live on in the next generation of consoles... -Character Over Plot ---Modernity once again rules over last generation, with it seeming to seep into this generation. Probably the only true postmodern art piece to come out of gaming since Metal Gear Solid 2; And like that game, it failed to reach
    -Mass Murder Refrain
    -Post Modern art
    -Deconstruction
    -Remains in disarray
    -Failed to live on in the next generation of consoles...
    -Character Over Plot

---Modernity once again rules over last generation, with it seeming to seep into this generation. Probably the only true postmodern art piece to come out of gaming since Metal Gear Solid 2; And like that game, it failed to reach out to it's target audience.
  30. Nov 25, 2014
    The story is excellent, however it is let down by the complete crap that is the game mechanics and enemies. The amount of times i was left banging my head against a wall because the run and cover system didn't work properly! Every single mission is the same, you kill wave after endless wave of enemies, before something interesting happens in a cut scene to progress the story. The story isThe story is excellent, however it is let down by the complete crap that is the game mechanics and enemies. The amount of times i was left banging my head against a wall because the run and cover system didn't work properly! Every single mission is the same, you kill wave after endless wave of enemies, before something interesting happens in a cut scene to progress the story. The story is so good too! It gets a 6/10 because of the story, if there was even a shred of better gameplay the score would be much higher. Expand

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 13, 2012
    Spec Ops: The Line tries new and interesting ground on storytelling, but falls short on the action department. Still, it's worth playing through for the atmosphere and few different endings alone. [Aug 2012]
  2. PC Master (Greece)
    Aug 31, 2012
    Were it not for some technical issues and console-related shortcomings (gamepad controls and no anti-aliasing), Spec Ops: The Line would be one of the best games for 2012. But, things being as they are, it remains merely a diamond in the rough, destined for wicked crazy status within the following years. Definitely superior to the related series of Kane & Lynch, it proves that, with a steady vision and soul, a genre so clichéd like military shooters, can not only surprise us pleasantly, but totally overwhelm us. [August 2012]
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Aug 10, 2012
    Expectations were greater than game could have achieved. Yet the new Spec Ops game is a good excuse to stay home and play. [Issue#220]