8.2

1. BMF
    Jun 29, 2012
    This game completel took me by surprise the story is a brutally accurate depiction of just how **** up combat situations can get and what that can do to a soldiers mind. The combat suffers from some consolitys but is still very fun and visceral.
  2. Oct 3, 2012
    I am just going to put this out there right up front: Spec Ops: The Line is going to be 2012's most underrated & overlooked game of the year. Which is a shame because IMHO it is a must play, that and it is a game that is firmly made for adults. Single Player: Im not really going to recap what the game is about but in brief: You are the leader of a 3 man Delta Force team dropped into Dubai to find out what happened to the US 33 Regiment who were sent in to evacuate the city after it was swamped by hellish sandstorms. The game is a third person cover based shooter and you can give orders to your 2 squad mates of various types but you must keep them alive, thought in this when they get incapacitated you can revive them or order the other squadie to revive them. If you need to know more you can probably check other reviews.

Ok right up front, the single player portion of the game should be held up as a prime example of how companies should approach single player. Spend some money, bring in great writers from day 1 and use great voice actors. Then rely on your story as the primary focus and build all your mechanics around the story & setting to compliment it.

It has probably not been since Halflife 2 or possibly halflife 1 that I got so deeply immersed and invested in a games story. I cannot talk about the story too much without spoiling it but needless to say there are at least 3 endings & the game forces you to make complex moral decisions that not only affect the ending but also the ongoing story & dialogue within your squad (A sign of good character writing). I also cannot recall ever feeling genuine remorse for accidentally killing a civilian in a game until now and the kicker there is this game doesn't even punish you in any way for doing so. There are moments in the story where you do an action or pick a course of action, then the game seems yo make you question what you have done and in some cases the game does an excellent job of leading you along a sense of foreboding like **** WTF have I just done" and then revealing perhaps what I can only reveal as the ugliness of war. There have been some moments where my blood has turned to ice or ive had a cold shiver down my spine and some truly gut wrenching moments where I have felt physically ill.

Other publishers truly should look at the single player portion of this game & really consider where they go with future titles.

The Cover based shooter mechanic is solid, its basically the tried and true mechanic thats been around since gears of war with a few tweaks here & there. The Sand: Dubai is in a desert & has been smashed by sandstorms & so Yager have seen fit to use this in the game. This comes in the form of firstly sandstorms that kick up during games where you have to hold one hand over your face which makes firing a 2 handed weapon more innacurate, cuts visibility distance to varying degrees (some storms are worse than others) makes it impossible to hear much and can be generally quite disorienting. Secondly what I call sand traps, there are places acrross the game where you can see sand running out like you might see from an hourglass, shooting these usually unleashes a torrent of sand of various sizes that can entomb or stun enemies and block pathways.

All the game play I found solid and the story is excellent while the firefights are intense but not constant and the scenery is stunning.

Multi Player:

Not the most important part of this game & certainly not the focus but its a solid effort limited only by a small community.

The Good:
    - Solid cover based shooter.
    - Unforgiving (Realistic ?) weapon damage, 2-3 shots to the body = death. headshots of any sort = death.
    - Good map design, theres realy only 1 map that can be a sniper fest and even then it genrally doesnt happen
    - Great spawn system. Not sure how this actually works but I have never seen or experienced spawning too near or infront of enemy players.
    - Lots of Weapons, Perks, armour etc to unlock and a lot of possible loadouts to experiment with
    - 5 classes to play as
    - Five Interesting game modes, one of which I have not seen in a shooter before.
    - Latency I have found to be good even when playing Americans & Russians.
    - Gameplay remind me oh so much of the early days of Counterstrike but WITHOUT the having to sit out the rest of th round after you die since SO:TL lets you respawn.
    - Custom games can be setup.

The Bad:

- Peer to Peer only. I usually really hate this but my experience has been not to bad. I hosted some weekend games for Americans & Russians and the US Players thought I was in the US in the end. When I said I was Aussie they said they were surprised the latency is so good. - Games are limited to 4 Vs 4, though I dont know if this is really that bad as the maps, gameplay modes and more tactical gameplay are kinda made complimentary to 4 vs 4.
  3. May 9, 2013
    Seriously, who cares about the mediocre gameplay. It's only there to tell a horrific story of violence and madness. Play it as the modern classic it is.
  4. Jan 24, 2013
    Very detailed environment. So far the story is very entertaining and it has grabbed my attention. I like it as a single player game. And for $5 on sale, it's a tremendous value. Looking forward to the next installment. Great job by the developers.
  5. May 2, 2014
    People said The Last of Us was THE game of its generation. People also said Bioshock Infinite was THE game of the generation. But the truth is Spec Ops the line is THE game you have to play. It is not perfect, the mechanics serve their purpose and thats it. However when i drop the controller because of what i had done in game, and tears of deep sadness appeared in my eyes i realized just how special this game is. Spec Ops the Line is a game every single gamer should play. 10/10. Expand
  6. Nov 2, 2013
    Great graphics with attention to detail (debris, dust, particles, fire, dirt, light), changing appearance of the PCs. Great voice over all voices are spot on, dialogs are very good, soldier chatter and yelling fits the action on the screen. Shooting is very satisfactory. Very interesting plot, grim mood. Awesome music (shooting to the disco music FTW) the music itself makes me want to play it again. I don't know where the opinion of a mediocre game comes from Spec Ops should have a place among the best games of this generation, not be pushed aside. I strongly recommend you to play this game if you like TPP shooters and/or games with good plot. Expand
  7. Jun 30, 2012
    Surprised me. I did not expect this game to be anything but average. And yet it has a dope story, and the finest backdrop scenario I've seen in modern gaming. I mean, come on...abandoned Dubai, where half the buildings are under sand the other half blaze high into the sky. It's fantastic, and the set pieces are top notch. I'd say I'm halfway through playing the singleplayer. The action so far is varied and interesting, despite what some reviewers are saying. I find it rewarding to pop heads, because when you do time slows down for a second allowing you to line up that next shot. Beautiful idea. And when large explosives go off RIGHT NEXT to a guy his body disappears into a mist. Haha, Awesome. Story is interesting so far. Maybe not a perfect 10 game, but there are reviews putting down 0 as the review score.... Saying this game is worth nothing is basically lying and makes you look like a dick. Expand
  8. Dec 9, 2012
    This game is mind-blowingly brilliant. Just buy it. The people who say they didn't like this game are the very people whom this game criticises. It is perfect. It's one of the extremely few games that deserve a 10 out of 10.
  9. Jun 27, 2012
    The story and voice acting in this game are phenomenal. Couple with solid gameplay and controls, plus the "sand mechanics" and you've got a winner. I haven't tried multipler but the single player is great.
  10. Apr 2, 2013
    One of the best games I've played: breathtaking plot (4 alternative endings and the story itself are so deep), top-notch graphic, superb control (idk about others i play the game on 32" screen with XBOX joypad), mesmerizing ost all this makes the game one of my favorite!
    I stumbled on the game while looking for smth similar to another brilliant game "Binary Domain", first I watched a
    good review, than I was glad to see there's a demo tried it and after that I was totally in love with the game and decided to buy it.
    Now I am on my second round of completing the game it's so cool and interesting that I can't stop playing it. Thx Yager for such a brilliant game! I'd wish nowadays game were more like this one.
  11. Jan 8, 2013
    The story in this game is Oscar worthy, and overcomes any flaws with gameplay.

It's unfortunate I need to expand this sentence to 150 characters.....
  12. Sep 27, 2014
    after completing spec ops the line i have to say this is the best of games i've ever played easily one the grayest story's in video game history you play martin walker a rescue team man with 3 others you start by killing people and more people however then you play this game i can't talk about this game but its a third person shooter the story is amazing without spoilers its not easy to explain much this game is just amazing Expand
  13. Aug 17, 2012
    Great singleplayer experience. A breath of fresh air in a stale genre. Way better than popular games like Call of Duty. Not the multiplayer though. This is a pure singleplayer game with a great story.
  14. Dec 7, 2012
    First of all, I must say that it's a great shame that this game is overlooked by many because it looks like a generic military shooter, while it's not. From the gameplay side, everything is quite familiar, yes - cover, weapons, health regeneration, grenades. But from the story side, it's a whole different thing. When regular shooters make you a hero, this game makes you not just a villain, it makes you feel doing good things ultimately revealing the main character - and you, with him - to be a madman, a criminal who tries to justify his horrible actions. And it succeeds in that, the plot is gripping, the characters are believable, the violence you witness is just horrific and the ending (4 of them, actually) is straight-out shocking. Trust me, you'll be left thinking of what just happened during the course of the 6-or-so hour campaign and you will want to play through it again just to see things clearly this time. The Line is a definite must-play for any action game and mature, dark storytelling fan. Are you ready to cross it? Expand
  15. Jun 26, 2012
    A shooter with a proposal completely new, excellent graphics, customizable keyboard mappings remarkable multiplayer, a campaign full of surprises and sudden changes, with some bit of tactics, a game well done
  16. Jul 12, 2012
    I have played a lot of third-person shooters across a wide variety of platforms, and i can honestly say with the up most accuracy that Spec Ops: The Line is one of the best I have ever played. A good story line is hard to find these days in shooter games of all types, however Yager have put a great amount of time and effort into to creating this story masterpiece. From start to finish the story kept me hooked and did something that no other shooter has ever done for me, and that is make me feel what the soldiers are feeling. This is the first shooter which really reveals the true horror of war and what it can do to a human being. Graphics are amazing, the post-apocalyptic Dubai is astonishing. Gameplay is enjoyable and flows beautifully. People in the PC community often complain about controls when it comes the third person shooters. Frankly, the mouse and keyboard is not suited for these kinds of games, that is why I bought a controller to use for my computer specifically for these games. In these other reviews people recognize the game as a console port and bring down their scores as a result. I think the PC community should stop complaining and realize that the mouse and keyboard is not the best thing to control great third person shooters. despite this I would recommend this game to anyone who wants to have a great shooter experience that people have never seen in a war game before. Expand
  17. Jul 16, 2012
    Best game i have played so far this year.The story is very interesting. Never played a third person cover shooter with so deep story before. The characters are easy to relate to and you acually start caring for them.
  18. Aug 8, 2012
    This game reallyq sells itself by blowing you away immediately. The gameplay is exciting and the visuals are astonishing.I must say I love the beginning levels way more than for example BF3's and MW3's. I play the game at resolution 3240x1920 which makes it all way more high res off course. Buy pc systems, so technical progress like made in this game will continue. X360 or PS3 aside is ok but build up your real game monster aka PC with care first. Expand
  19. Dec 6, 2013
    This game shows perfectly all the brutality of war. The action is well designed and the combat parts are excellent. maybe there are too many cinematic but the game is so well developed that the player enjoys every minute of it. Nice game, I personally don't recommended for kids under 16, but for the rest it worth the purchase
  20. Jul 30, 2012
    Where is the love? I don't want to give a good story away, so I'll talk about what I liked. Graphics are good, but the story as mentioned is great! It definitely sucked me in and this was definitely a game for me to replay at least the end to get all the endings. I also think this game is a work of art. I also can't remember another game that has told me, 'If you were a better person, you would not be here' or said something like, What is necessary and what is good are the same. Expand
  21. Jul 14, 2014
    Masterpiece.

You don't believe me?

Try it.

...and then come back here to talk...

The story is something you find once in a hundred of today games.

The gameplay feels nice and it maybe take some time to settle in but when it does you'll be poppin heads.

Visually - great. Graphics can stay shoulder to shoulder with the games from 2014 and style and colors are just swesome.
  22. Aug 23, 2012
    No Spoilers - First off this is a stunning looking game. Some have commented on it being bland visually but they're missing the point IMHO. You get a real sense of being in a sand decimated environment so much so you feel like you've got sand in every orifice. I know I felt the need to drink iced Cola all the time. Its beautifully done. It feels more like you're in a movie than a game (in a good way) you move constantly from action to cut-scenes that blend so seamlessly that you think its you holding conversations. Its gritty and you feel like you're in a dirty war & worldly ones of us will empathise with that feeling. There's nothing glamorous in that sense! You're making tough calls throughout and it wrenches sometimes. The end game is one of the best endings of a game I have ever played of all time. Some might not get it I did and it made so much more sense and gave meaning to my gameplay as a result. Control system (like most games) took some adjusting to and thats the only reason I didn't give it 10. edit couldnt give half scores so gave it 10 otherwise it would be 9.5 Expand
  23. Jun 2, 2014
    The biggest positive mindphuck I have experienced in all of my years gaming. This game early on does an excellent job of pretending to be just another shooter with the mediocre story then later, immediately grabs you and jumps into hyperspace to give you the darkest, most evil gripping story ever. War is hell--- and no amount of trying to do the right thing will redeem your burned soul.
  24. Aug 25, 2012
    First off, the game play itself is good, not great. Combat can be a bit of a slog, and I always found myself wanting to just turn the game off.
    But here's the beautiful thing: this works perfectly towards the narrative. By far, this is the most effective and engaging story I have experienced in any medium. Its unabashed deconstruction of the modern shooter genre is near perfect, and it
    always feels like the game is yelling to you: "Is this really what you want? Is this your idea of fun?" There were so many moments where I just had to stop- it was that moving.
    If you're looking for something fun, this is not your game, but if you want to see what a mature game can do, play on.
  25. Aug 27, 2012
    fantastic, thought provoking game. Narrative is king in this game, no other game I've played was as well thought out or intelligently presented. It makes "would you kindly" look like a quote from dora the explorer. finally a game that deals with some challenging issues, finally a game has a set of balls, a well constructed idea, and a dev team that can put it all together.
  26. Aug 9, 2013
    So good. Best FPS I have played in awhile. Generic combat, but a great, tragic story. If you google the ending, you will want to replay the game and pick up on the subtle clues you missed. Deserves a better critic and review score
  27. Mar 5, 2013
    Anyone who reads this and has yet to play this game needs to correct that ASAP. This kind of experience comes extremely rare in video games and quite frankly that needs to be fixed. I will admit that the gameplay itself could probably have been better. Either though giving your squad mates more options for u to take advantage off or making them more useful overall by improving their AI so as to make them more than distractions.

In conclusion if u want a excellent or at least different story that would make up for the average gameplay then go for it. Also that aspect alone makes it a 10 for me personally.
  28. May 18, 2013
    Grossly underestimated masterpiece with solid fighting mechanics and a gripping story that ties you along. One of the testaments of the video gaming industry coming to a maturity regarding war games. It might need some tweaking with the mouse acceleration bug, but it's easily fixable in a few minutes.
  29. Nov 1, 2012
    If you love your shooters then this game gives you everything, great action, game play and a great story. I am a FPS person myself but this kept me gripped until the end. An underrated Gem if I ever did see one.
  30. Nov 17, 2012
    I must say this is one of the best games of 2012 and it have one of the best stories of all time, Hard to forget the ending and the ruined Dubai
  31. Nov 21, 2012
    This game is AMAZING. The story is very captivating and very exciting. I can say without a doubt that Spec Ops: The Line is the best video game I've ever played, and I've played many games. The graphics are amazing, and the best I've ever seen. I strongly recommend this game to everyone.
  32. Nov 24, 2012
    This game needs to have a high metacritic score, just for it's boldness. It's just incredible how interesting and compelling it gets to be, without being "fun".
  33. Jul 29, 2013
    This is just a great game, with stunning visuals, great game-play and an innovative story for the genre. The ambience is breathtaking and you'll get glued playing for hours. Music is also very immersive and meshes extremely well with the style of the game. One of the best TPS out there.
  34. Jul 19, 2013
    If you're looking for a standard, third-person military shooter then you should skip Spec Ops.

OK, so all of the idiots are gone now right?

This game is a narrative masterpiece. It forces the player to make choices that are not only difficult, but so easy to mistake for the black and white linearity that is found in so many shooters today. This game is not only highly cerebral and
    thought-provoking, but it acts as a commentary on current and future gaming culture. Some of the scenes and images are difficult to stomach, but that's sort of the point of the game. Games like Call of Duty and Battlefield don't expose the player to the true horrors of war. They try to make a pretty shooting gallery to walk through while the player's internet service is down.

Spec Ops will challenge the way you think and the way you play games. This game was never intended to be "fun" in the traditional sense. Rather, it was created (IMHO) to force people who play these sort of games to sit down and really think about what it is they want from a game and why they feel the need to make the decisions they make. Spec Ops is both challenging and rewarding. Buy it.
  35. Dec 27, 2012
    In a field of games that are created to build the player up to a godly status of superhero, Spec Ops: The Line dares to fly in the face of that, deciding instead to actively fight the player and their sense of heroism. Based on Heart of Darkness, the same story that inspired Apocalypse Now, It is set in a destroyed Dubai, where a squad is sent to rescue survivors. This is a game that is built on traditional mechanics, a samey brown fps that most gamers that pick the title up will identify immediately and become comfortable with. This is the moment Spec Ops chooses to throw the player into disarray, forcing them to question their very motives for even playing a video game, as well as the characters choices. The player, in the end, is drawn into a state of distance from the character, a sort of last shred of sanity and conscious that the character has left. By the end, you are changed in parallel. You are a different person. Expand
  36. Dec 31, 2012
    Spec Ops: The Line. Only took me four hours to complete the campaign. I very much enjoyed this game and it had a great story line, there were very many parts in this game that are stunning. The visuals are fantastic, but the mechanics and some of the little things are weird. I found myself taking many screen shots of awesome landscapes and gruesome sights. Another plus, the main character is voiced by none other than Nathan Drake. I highly recommend this game. Expand
  37. Jan 1, 2013
    One of the most truthful story i have ever experienced. The story alone is worth the purchase. Action is fun but not the best, but that's not why you should buy the game. If you want have a meaningful emotional experience buy this game!
  38. Jan 6, 2013
    If you want a great single player experience, this is the game you must buy. It's different form other shooters who glorify war and praise war hero's. Spec Ops the Line makes you question your morals and principles. the game forces you to make choices at some points. These choices are not labeled "right"or "wrong" the choices you make are horrible. this game also uses some visual tricks and there are a lot of easter eggs. so maybe the mp sucks, but this game was never meant to have a mp. The mp is made by a different developer because the original dev refused to put a mp in it because this game is all about the sp experience. Expand
  39. Aug 23, 2013
    I shat bricks. Every developer should take note of this game. It changed the way first person shooters are judged as a whole. Just a heads up, this game is much more violent than the average 3rd person shooter (which is saying something).
  40. Mar 28, 2013
    Perhaps containing one of the best storyline in gaming, Spec Ops the line is an experience that comes along extremely rarely and is a must have. While the gameplay admittedly falls flat and fails to be anything revolutionary, the Heart of Darkness inspired story really shines though with its themes and inglorious war and really gives you an emotional experience as you witness the slow spiral down Walker experiences though the game. Expand
  41. Apr 4, 2013
    Spec Ops: The Line is not a fun game, but it is perhaps the finest example of a drama video game. Without spoiling anything the game is somewhat bland until the main character unwittingly does a bad thing. If you go into playing Spec Ops: The Line with the mindset that it is a run of the mill shooter you will be disappointing, but if you play it looking for a game that's story is both gripping and thought provoking try this out. I do not give Spec Ops a 10 because it is fun, but because it deserves it. Expand
  42. Apr 17, 2013
    Yes, I am late to the party, but I want my two cents worth.
    On face value, The Line isn't much.
    A stock standard, overly-macho, cover-based military shooter that will only excite the imagination of those who do not understand what makes a game good.
    This is not the case. What is really inside is possibly the most poignant and emotionally affecting plot I have ever experienced in a game.
    And I love it.
    Admittedly, the gameplay isn't much. On that front is relatively what you expect. Bad guy in front of you, kill him. Lots of bad guys in front of you, duck into cover and kill them, but not before a bit of fiddly negotiating with the cover system. This game is made for controller, but it is still easy enough to play with key board and mouse.
    The AI tend to overwhelm you with sheer numbers rather than outthink you, but this only a minor niggle, and if you're playing at a harder difficulty you'll be too busy kicking yourself for dying again to criticise their semi-suicidal behaviour.
    Graphically speaking, it wasn't jarring. The lighting was fine and I only spotted the occasional low-res texture (during gameplay that is, the cutscenes were riddled with them). Character detail was mildly fantastic, and Nolan North and Co. did a top-notch job with voices. Level design could have been better, but nothing felt too linear, and there were only a few vehicle sections which were really not too shabby in execution. Overall the gameplay presented about as much depth as one could expect from a linear shooter.

But were it not for the plot, I probably would not have bothered finishing this game.
    The thing that impressed me most about the plot is the connection it creates between the game and the player. Many games choose to have a silent protagonist in order to have the player imprint themselves on the protagonists identity. Yet The Line has an incredibly vocal main character and still I found I started to see a lot of myself in him. This is probably due to responsibility The Line forces you to take. Without giving too much away, I will say the game puts you in a few situations where you may hate yourself for the outcome you chose. The brutality of some of these moments are brilliantly portrayed, and there is one infamous moment in the game that distressed me so much I exited and did not play it again for a few weeks. The gigantic waves of enemies that you will eliminate unthinkingly throughout the game may seem out of place at first, but by the end their purpose is blindingly clear.
    The thoughts that The Line will plant in your head are disturbing, exhilarating, and nothing short of a gust of fresh air in terms of plot themes.
    And if you are somehow not convinced about the astounding depth of The Line, know this.
    A man by the name of Brendan Keogh wrote a 50,000 word critical analysis of the game. 50,000 words.

And the reason why I have given it 10 is because I do not acknowledge the multiplayer as part of the game. If you don't know the meaning of the words "tacked-on", play the multiplayer of The Line.
  43. Apr 26, 2013
    The game is good, it's well made and it's visually stunning. But this pales compared to the actual experience of the GAME itself. The story and the way it is presented are a testimony that the game industry matures. Comparing this game to others is like comparing "The Shawshank Redemption" to the early black and white comedies. I really find it hard to express the depth of it and what a thought provoking experience it is. Expand
  44. May 4, 2013
    In a field overly saturated how does one shooter stand out against another? In Spec Ops The Line the addictive story is what makes it stand out above the rest. Too long have I been bombarded with over the top cool ads for the latest Call of Duty Zombie Warfare 10 with extra death on the side, it’s all too much. I don’t pretend that CoD 4 didn’t in some way however small or large revolutionise or more rather galvanise the market, I’d be a fool to deny that since CoD 4 I have noticed a large increase in the amount of shooter’s, which isn’t necessarily good for Gaming in general. If we want to be taken as serious people with a love of a hobby we shouldn’t turn to behemoths such as CoD where human beings are ripped up with machine gun fire and dismembered with motor fire. Such games are the Fast Food equivalent of the Games industry, sure it may be nice but it’s not good for you and it lacks sufficient sustenance.
    However as I said Spec Ops The Line manages to keep above the tidal wave of, when you actually think about it, poorly written games or just straight up plain violence for violence sake. For me Spec Ops The Line asked one major question and its one that has been rattling around my brain when it comes to shooter’s: How do you live with the actions you take?
    It’s interesting, think about most of the games that are sold en mass to the general market, not the people who have a love and passion for games who dig deep to find that one indie game that speaks volumes to them. No, I mean the incredibly popular mainstream titles where, if you dare to go online, you get abused by Bro’s or a 12 year old with a surprisingly colourful vocabulary. So with those games in mind, I’ve often thought these are characters that are, I imagine in some cases, loved. These are men that shoot and kill vast amounts of people and overcome incredible odds and they just shrug it off. These are meant to be people with real feelings and emotions, not blank, impersonal drones with a gun in hand.
    Spec Ops The Line follows 3 men as they are sent into Dubai to find an old friend of the protagonist who was originally sent in to evacuate survivors of a terrible storm that ravaged Dubai’s beautiful landscape and skyline. You play Captain Walker a man with a mysterious past in Kabul where he met your target Konrad, a celebrated War Hero. Through some initially confusing story you begin to discover what happened here in Dubai, all is not well as 2 factions’ war it out against each other (and you) and through it all a crazed DJ plays tracks like its Vietnam 2.
    Even in a linear game such as SOTL it offers choices to the player, choices that at the end are reflected upon and for good reason, because of the question it askes. How do these men whose jobs are to kill upon command survive what they encounter, or even do they? The player gets a feel for how maybe the command you’re given isn’t the command that you should carry out, this becomes especially clear as you progress through the game and through the actions you make. It is because of the actions you make and how you’re 2 man squad reacts that give the player a true immersion, on a personal note I had to pause the game at several crucial moments to decide what I should do, is there a right and wrong here? Does the easy way ever meet with the right way of doing things?
    If like me you get swooped up in the story you may find the loading screens become more eerie. It’s one of the many minor things that I love about this game and that is the game itself askes questions of you and prompts you with things like “Can you even remember why you came here?” “You are still a good person” “Do you feel like a hero yet?” and also “This is all your fault”. People have incorrectly called this taunting, but I feel it’s supposed to make you think about not necessarily the genre of games that people just seem to buy into but also the real life actions of people who do this and as a result end up with PTSD.
    Now I’ve love to say more, it’s been a while since I’ve played a game and truly couldn’t get enough of it, and with a story that has many layers and possible choices to take, it’s definitely worthy of more than one play through, but I feel if I write much more I’d give away some major points.
    A little tip though, if you want the most from the game, unlock the FUBAR setting (never has this acronym felt so appropriate) and play through it, sure it’s harder but as I just said, the loading screens can get eerie and give you some sort of insight. Now I’m off to play some more. Cheers for reading.
    Cheers for reading, for more reviews see willza99.wordpress.com
  45. Oct 5, 2013
    One of the best modern shooters to come out this year, The plot is constantly keeping you guessing and the ending is very mind blowing. I expected this to be a general modern FPS but it completely blew away my expectations. Very well done.
  46. Jun 11, 2013
    If you like are ever played Gear of war then this gam has some thing to offer you .
    One of the most underrated games of the past few years just because of the not so good MP they were forced to add. And a lot of people don't like the Anti War and anti American politics in the game

Game is all about single player which is very good, Great fire fights and games graphics are very good
    along with a good story .You can pick this up cheap not and its well worth it Expand
  47. Aug 11, 2013
    Many games try to capture what it's like for soldiers on the battlefield but most fail utterly, this game does it spectacularly, along with awesome graphics and good game play mechanics this is highly recommended
  48. Jul 29, 2014
    This is one of the best story driven games I have ever played. It makes Call of Duty and Battlefield look as deep as Sunday morning Marmaduke cartoon writing compared to All quite on the Western Front. This is the story of Martin Walker and his descent into the reality of war when he and his Delta team go into Dubai.

This is a story told in a cover based modern shooter game, not a
    modern shooter game with a story to pass the time when the internet is out and you can't get in a quick match.

Buy this game. Play this game. Read all quite on the Western front.
  49. Aug 7, 2013
    Although adding nothing new to the genre gameplay-wise this shooter is an outstanding piece of art when it comes to terms of story and picture.
    Yes, the graphics aren't topnotch but they are good, the AI is close to awful and the level-layout is pretty simple yet all this becomes insignificant when you get blown away by stunningly beautiful Levels (speaking of the crafted images not the
    layout) and a story so dark and moving that I just sat there staring at my monitor for what felt like minutes more than once.
    Spec Ops: The Line isn't by any means a great shooter yet it tells a unique story which makes a playthrough well worth your time.
  50. Aug 21, 2013
    This game is just poetry to me. So much good stuff to talk about here.
    The story and cinematography are the best aspect of the game: never I've been so attacked to a story (well, beside Telltale's Walking Dead) and Captain Walker is my second favourite video game character ever after John Marston: he starts out as a typical action hero, but in the end he changes a lot.
    The gameplay is
    not god-awful as many say: I love me some third-person shooters and I got a lot of enjoyment from this game.
    The replay value is pretty high: you may change some decision in the story, as well as seeing what happens with a different perspective. Plus, there is a co-op mode that is just amazing, with new maps to play with a friend. The multiplayer is okay, too bad not many people play it.
  51. Sep 19, 2013
    what a great storyline in a game. intersting concept somehow completely unfun but extremely brutal and exciting i hope jager will make a sequel. or something like it. great work.
  52. Sep 25, 2013
    THE LONG AND THE SHORT OF IT. If you want a 3rd person shooter with great gameplay, mechanics, and an online experience play Gears of War. This game is all about the story, while GoW has a great story line, it does not leave you floored and questioning life, mortality, and morality quite like Spec Ops does. if you call yourself a gamer of any genre, this is a MUST; if you're an PvP bro, leave it alone. Expand
  53. Oct 8, 2013
    suprb .........best gameplay best graphic best story line .........best third person shooter after long time.......max wepon choice .....and gameplay is some what gears of war..
  54. Jun 20, 2014
    -Mass Murder Refrain -Post Modern art -Deconstruction -Remains in disarray -Failed to live on in the next generation of consoles... -Character Over Plot ---Modernity once again rules over last generation, with it seeming to seep into this generation. Probably the only true postmodern art piece to come out of gaming since Metal Gear Solid 2; And like that game, it failed to reach out to it's target audience. Expand
  55. Nov 29, 2013
    This is a great game that many people I have talked to have loved after playing. Beware that this game has very sad moments and very emotional parts. The game has great graphics that really shows the environment around the player. This the type of game that integrates the third person with run and cover type game. Without cover you are at a disadvantage when in combat. The feature that i love about it is the menu, it changes the further along the game you are. The combat features are well executed.
    There are quite a lot of twists.
    I recommend this to anyone that loves shooter games.

This is AssassinReviews,
    Thanks for reading :D
  56. Nov 29, 2013
    If you only care about gameplay, this game isn't for you. Otherwise, it's incredible, it probably has the best story I have ever seen in a game, but the gameplay can be quite frustrating to get past, as I said before, if you care about story, you should definately play this game.
    P.S. The multi-player should not be considered a part of the game, it was added by the publishers and is to
    quote one of the devs: "A cancerous growth" Expand
  57. Jun 25, 2014
    Although the game play is nothing special and could be considered very bad, that is not what this game is made for. This has to have one of the best, if not, the best story line in a long time. It shows what war is like.

It does not make you feel good about your choices, it shows how horrific war is, and what killing people is actually like. Not your typical stories like Call of Duty,
    where you kill terrorists or the "bad guys" for America.

For a game that makes you feel like human garbage, it's amazing. Again though, don't buy it if you want multiplayer.
  58. Dec 26, 2013
    Just finished playing this game. I must say, it is one of the best games I have ever played. Graphics wise, can't complain. I have seen better as well as worse.

The storyline is just, it touching. Having family members that have gone through PTSD, and having played this game after I was done with it gave it the high praise for "hitting home" to the player. With some scenes being really
    graphic, tied in with the intense firefights, makes this game, in my books, one of the best games of the year.

The cover mechanics are a little wonky, and takes some getting used to but once you have been broken in, they will come second hand to you.

Spec Ops: The Line is a game I would definitely recommend to my friends/family.
  59. Feb 4, 2014
    Пожалуй самый лучший шутер в который я играл. Прошёл игру за 7 часов с 2 подходов.

+ Графика
    + Геймплей
    + СЮЖЕТ!
    + Дубай
    + Нет минусов за который можно зацепится

Советую всем поиграть, не пожалеете
    Ставлю: 10/10
  60. Aug 12, 2014
    Best game ever, very addicting. my favorite mission is the fist one of chapter six. you should get it bout it on sale for 5.99, and there are no bugs.
  61. Sep 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The end of this game blowed up my mind, the story -- the most bright example, that you should't justify yourself. Very good story, very good setting, but not so good gameplay. But there is not any rivals at military shooter. That's why 10/10. Expand
  62. Aug 4, 2014
    I really see all the great in the game,the gameplay,the story the weapons everything is amazing!
    Highly recommended and I want to say that this story can relly have shocking ending if you play it right!
  63. Sep 8, 2014
    Spec Ops The Line has a history fantastic.the history of this game and more impressive than the TLOUS.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  64. Aug 29, 2012
    Comparisons to Call of Duty and the like are inevitable, and at its core, here is how that comparison breaks down: Compared to Call of Duty, Spec Ops: The Line has half the fun and ten times the balls. Competent but Mediocre gameplay, dated but well realized graphics and above average writing and voice acting may be a recipe for a decent time killer, but the narrative as realized through play, and the way that the narrative punches the player right in the gut makes Spec Ops: The Line as different from other Military Shooters as Paintball is from the real life Normandy landings. With very few misses, Spec Ops deals with the idea of war in a way that maybe no other modern military shooter before has: With heart-wrenching, deadly seriousness. That, "Mature" title can be taken literally. This game deserves your time and money, and even a GotY nod. Expand
  65. Jul 22, 2012
    The gameplay is bog standard cover based shooter, nothing special. But the story is really good, at least when compared to any videogame released in the last ten years, with an ending that lives up to premise. Chuck Palahniuk crossed with Apocalypse now. What I really liked was the fact that they went with the checkpoint system, which doesn't allow the player to simply reload and redo their decision. The first decision you make is the one you have to live with...great stuff. I just wish the actual gameplay matched the rest. But what I'm thinking is that if it had a budget of a Mass Effect 3 or COD, they couldn't have went with the risky story, so maybe the cost of a good story is mediocre gameplay that is limited by budget. Anyway, no regrets on my purchase. Expand
  66. Jul 21, 2012
    The story is the strong point of this game, along with the music, and the voice acting. It's an extremely different approach to the 'Modern Warfare' archetype that we've seen become common in video games. The narrative is well thought out and executed, slowly dragging you in and making you feel disgusted, angry, and confused. The gameplay however is not nearly as polished and enjoyable to sit through. It's clunky at times, and when it's not it's just point and shoot. Very little variety, and it actually manages to take you out of the experience. It's hard to be preachy about the ruthlessness of war and then have special mechanics that give extra ammo for executions. The A.I is also an issue, it can range from decently boring to very broken. Squadmates can sit around shooting a wall that the target is stuck behind for hours if you let them. In spite of that though, I was able to sit through the bland combat and enjoy the journey it took me on. The story and approach to 'shoot'em up' games saved the game from the boring mechanics Expand
  67. Jan 8, 2013
    I am still wondering why this game got just an average score. If you get trough the first hour where the game still tries to disguise itself as conventional Hooray! - Shooter, you will be rewarded with average-to-good gameplay, good atmosphere and a really amazing experience which sucks you in (if you let it). Everything else would be too much spoiler, but let's say it breaks here and then with the usual shooter mechanic and leaves the player slightly baffeled about his own actions. Expand
  68. Jun 29, 2012
    I just completed it and it was one of the most intense shooters I ever played. The story is kind of in the line with Apocalypse Now and the ending is a disturbing surprise...
    The gameplay is fun and I really enjoyed that we finally get to play a new environment for a change. The game really gives you a good feeling about the destructive force of sand. The shooting is mostly fun, but, as
    always, third person shooters can be frustrating from a camera perspective at times.
    What else is there? This is kind of the thinking man of shooters. You have to flank enemy positions a lot and sometimes use different weapons to meet your goals. It is really a lot of fun to play.
    The downside? Well, we are normally used to "fun shooters" that hide the tragedy and violence on civilians. Spec Ops is not doing that. You are always aware that civilians are getting killed because of your actions... Furthermore, it shows how senseless war really is. I mean we players typically just enjoy the clean combat aspect and even if entire street blocks go down (e.g. CoD) we never get to see the consequences...
    Anyhow, this shooter is well worth your time. If you haven't picked it up yet, you probably should. Enjoy!
  69. Mar 7, 2013
    If you are still on the fence about this one, wait no more and buy it.
    This was for me one of the best games i've played in 2012 and one of the most underrated too.

Storyline is fantastic and quite a (in a good way), i think you'll enjoy it. The voiceacting is perfect (Nolan North, a.k.a Nathan Drake from Uncharted).
    The gameplay is good, a little repetitive but not a big problem.

Visually amazing and Dubai looks incredible in this game, even if it is in ruins and covered in Sands. :p
  70. Nov 22, 2012
    Spec Ops: The Line is one of those games you play purely for the story, probably just once, and love. The mechanics are nothing special, often sub-par, but other than a few bugs and some frustration with the cover system, I can't complain. It's one of those strange little games you buy on sale, don't expect much from but you enjoy, despite its obvious flaws and when you look back, you realize it was one of your best gaming experiences in quite a while.

As has been said in pretty much every other review, the story is pretty much a modern twist of Apocalypse Now but does a good job at adding some original twists. Don't know why everyone including the writer says it's based on Heart of Darkness, it's certainly much more of a departure from the book than Apocalypse Now was and only really resembles the latter. Either way, it's a wonderfully dark, grim experience that leaves you feeling slightly insane at the end. Oh, great soundtrack too.
  71. Jul 3, 2012
    A different FPS where history is of great importance, together with decisions that change events from it. Of considerable duration (about 8 hours in difficult / very difficult)

Technically a great game, where effects such as the sand line at a high level, this is accompanied by a large and a sound optimization

It also has multi, being conservative is quite fun when you meet people,
    plus there is plenty to unlock

In a few days will also have cooperative, 4 missions to count as I arrive at the overall situation in Dubai

But all in good obviously not a game that revolutionizes in any respect, that united the multi do not spare the people, it costs
  72. May 11, 2013
    I am not into military shooters, but I really enjoy playing spec ops. The action is great, visuals are decent as well, They could of added alittle more detail. Voice acting is professional, the characters sound great!
    Buy this game!
  73. Nov 1, 2012
    it's shooter mechanics are nothing to write home about, and the controls seem odd and unintuitive. melee is bound to the vault over cover button but taking cover is bound to the sprint button? doesnt make much sense. thankfully spec ops brings a well paced and brain melting story. every gamer should play this for that alone
  74. Sep 23, 2012
    This is an awesome game, I recommend everyone to try. I guess its the GOTY of 2012. The story in this game is one of the most **** and great I've ever seen in a game. The only downside of this game is the generic gameplay
  75. Jul 3, 2012
    i give it 9 from 10..why i give a smiple game that everybody gives it 7 or 7.5..9?
    this game really short..the next chapters just show up after 10 or 15 minutes..thats true

but i give it 9 becouse i cant stop playing it..honestly..this lovely great strong story gives me the power to complete the game straigt...really love it..AI is great but somtimes becoms stuiped..thats only somtimes

but everything is great guys..story..gameplay..music..sounds..FANTASTIC

but little PC mistackes and Bugs..But i fixed it wish FXAA INJECTOR from Some Dudes
  76. Aug 13, 2012
    a beautiful, brutal surprise of a game.

immaculately detailed environments draw you in to the game's world, but its the story that will leave the most lasting impression. it's a breath of fresh air to encounter a game that approaches modern combat from moral 'other side': examining the horror and confusion - the fog of war - through the eyes of one soldier attempting, and ultimately
    failing, to make sense of it all from within the thick of it. if call of duty is equivalent to 'black hawk down', then this game is 'apocalypse now' (and in fact draws inspiration from the same novel, 'heart of darkness'). certainly not a perfect game (enemy AI is weak, gunplay can get a bit repetitive), but it's so bold, daring and risky an attempt one can't help but applaud the effort. Expand
  77. Aug 27, 2012
    I'd be lying if I said that this game was the best thing since sliced bread. The gunplay, while serviceable, is fairly average, the cover system needs a bit more work and the sand mechanic is simply too contextual to be of any interest. However, the game contains what is quite possibly the most profound story I have EVER experienced in a game. This is story that won't just make you question the motives your character has for fighting, it will ask you in quite a lot of different ways "Why do you enjoy playing these sort of games? Do you enjoy butchering and slaughtering people on screen?". It is a game that will ask you, the player "Do you feel like a hero yet?". Couple this with fantastic environments and you will be in an experience you will NEVER forget. It may not be game of the year, but Spec Ops: The Line might be the most important game of our generation in terms of its story and the questions it asks. Expand
  78. Jan 4, 2013
    Play it for the story, as it is the most emotionally engaging gaming experience I have ever had. The controls are a bit clunky, the AI is a bit weak, and the campaign is short (6 hours). The graphics are pretty average for a 2012 game and the gameplay itself is enjoyable. The biggest task you will have is playing it for the first two hours as they are insanely boring. After that, the story really picks up and draws you in and you will be glad you trucked through those first couple hours. Expand
  79. Jul 7, 2012
    one of the best games i've played this year, and certainly the best shooter i've played so far..
    why? not by its gameplay mechanics, which are basicaly the same as most 3rd person shooters you see.. but by the story, which might be the best i've seen in a videogame.
    the soundtrack is also amazing and only brings more depth to the game.
    one of the few shooting games i actually enjoyed
    from the start to the end and the first of its kind i've ended in this year..
    truly a masterpiece based on the "heart of darkness" book with a very competent multiplayer, that proves that any shooter can have a solid singleplayer even better than the multiplayer (which is also great) and still be engaging and worth buying.

a punch in the guts of major publishers like activision, ea and ubisoft.
  80. Jul 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Spec Ops the line, an Awesome game. This game is one of those games where you just get into it and and play as yourself feeling every thing that is going on in the game and as you keep going further and further it starts getting real intense as it plays with your mind (screws with your mind in a good way), brings out all the emotions and leaves your with this Mind Blowing end. The game has some real great pros and some cons making it a 9 star game according to me. The good things are that the graphics are very good and the setup where all the story takes place is also designed very beautifully with some great moments and awesome views of the city (Dubai). Also the game-play is also really great as a third person shooter nothing extraordinary but the creators have done justice. The battles or fights are good with some great in-game moments. The plot is really good and the game definitely is worth the buy ! The game may have some issues like when it comes to cover taking, its not very efficient and quick. Also the story line sometimes is a little confusing and some parts lack proper explanation, but otherwise it is really great. "Now finally i will tell you need to buy this game and how it is worth the money you spent. The best thing in this games was the Mind-Screwing, Breathtaking and really well written story-line. The story is so good that it makes you think how brilliant are the writers to come up with such an Extraordinary story. The story plays with your emotions, it leaves you with some really hard choices and takes you into an intense madness as you play the game. The end is the best part of the game where everything, every decision you make, everything you have done, finally makes sense but i'd tell you that what makes sense screws with your mind more....... So it leaves you to think a lot and there are not many games that do that.. The game tricks your mind so much that you think this all doesn't make sense, but it does...... So final summation, the game is really good, and I assure you, that you will certainly like it. ( SPOILER : The other best thing about the game, it is not like other games where you get a fun joyous ride and get a really happy end, but this game just shows you how a game can also be so intense and exciting with a serious and not so happy ending, or i'd call it a maddening ending. And that's the beauty of it, that it is such a different game that has somewhat " The Fight Club " movie kinda experience that you never get in other games...... SO the end was wicked , n so was the game..... ) Expand
  81. Nov 11, 2012
    This is the first true game that isn't necessarily as fun as it is moving but that, in no way, is a bad thing.

By this point, I hate modern shooters. Call of Duty and Battlefield are doing the same thing over and over with knockoffs spawning every year. When I first saw this game I counted it off as another knockoff/clone but I was so incredibly wrong. This game brings so much more to
    the table. This game tells an emotional story based around Joseph Conrad's literary masterpiece Heart of Darkness. Yes, the reviews are correct, the FPS shooter mechanics aren't top notch. The multiplayer feels (and according to the developers was absolutely) tacked on last minute so it could say it had multiplayer, making producers happy. I got frustrated with the 3rd person cover system at times as well. But none of these are the point of the game. The developers even said in interviews they wished in was a standalone campaign without a multiplayer, because it's the campaign that breaks radically new ground in the games industry.

The point is the narrative. PAY ATTENTION TO IT.

After playing FPS clones, we are used to worthless dialogue that doesn't mean anything or hold any value. This game is different. If you pay attention you might see the massive twists before they are spelled out for you. The game also shines in the little things. There are even creepy highly metaphorical scenes near the end of the campaign that don't repeat if you die and have to go through the same section again. The overall level design (it doesn't make sense for a reason), the artwork and the mechanics work together to share an emotional story about PTSD, what war is like and how pathetic we are for wanting to be a part of it.

Overall this game took me completely by surprise and I couldn't be happier.
  82. Dec 31, 2012
    Spec Ops the line is one of the rare gems in modern gaming. It twists the entire shooter genre on its head, introduces a storyline evocative of "Heart of Darkness" yet does its own thing.

Spec Ops the line does on thing one and it does it superbly. The storyline is and should be the reason to buy this game. While the developers suggesting "Heart of Darkness" as inspiration may be a
    spoiler, the storyline goes places where few works of fiction dare. That being said there are a few caveats. For those whom come off FPS such as COD, the controls can take some getting used to and ammo is scarce (a brilliant reinforcement of the storyline). Buy, buy now and never look back. Expand
  83. Sep 18, 2012
    this is an anti-war advocating game.no true hero exists in this game,nor the real world.the point made in the story line is sharp,revealing what kind of thing the war is.i mean theres never truth nor justice in wars. i still remember a guy in Skyrim said that theres no honor in the war; the honor was made up by the elderly.to be honest never in y wildest dream could i imagine the story's idea was sided towards pacifism,coz in every single games,such as CoD whole series,BF3 and MoH,they are have some kind of Superman-ish people. Expand
  84. Jun 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love the game. Its very different from what I've ever played on the computer. If your into graphics and want a full HD experience then you might have a bad time with this game.The game is naturally bright and will cause some pixelation problems during cut scenes. Make sure to turn the brightness down just a bit. The gamma setting is tricky to use though. Game might end up too dark or too bright. The controls take awhile to get used to. I recommend playing with a controller. The cover system is interesting. It's similar to Ghost Recon but more defined and stable. The multiplayer is OK. It's extremely rare that you will find a match. If you do find one there's a guarantee that there will be cheating. Only play it if you have nothing better to do after you finish the main story. The main story is raw. There are a few scenes that show a lot of death. As a warning, The "White Phosphorus" mission will make you sick to your stomach and probably make you feel depressed. I made the mistake of getting too attached to the story. It felt is if i was feeling the character's pain and suffering during that gruesome segment.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pros:
    Amazing story. Many twists and turns.
    The setting is new. not the same old locations

Cons:
    AI is frustrating at times. AI tends to push you into fire fights.
    No revive system for your character in the main story. Controls are clunky. Might accidentally get stuck on the wrong wall for cover
    Multiplayer is almost dead already and its only day one.
    Way too many exploits on MP maps. Lighting is way too heavy. Reflections and major light sources will cause lag on occasion.
  85. Jun 28, 2012
    This game is a great tribute to Heart of Darkness. The storyline and plot is riveting. Voice acting is superb and enhances the game greatly. My only gripe is the clunkliness of the controls, even for a 3rd person shooter. Overall, you won't get any better of a plot from a shooter.
  86. Jun 29, 2012
    The campaign for this game was amazing. The cover system is the only thing that really needs work. (I need some more characters)
  87. Jul 2, 2012
    While modern games offer a simple shooter with cinematic effects, Spec Ops: The line differs from it in one way. It's interesting, unlike other third person shooters out there lately. Making offer here makes an impact on you, makes you sad or happy. A game that everyone should buy this year.
  88. Jul 6, 2012
    Overall, an excellent, dark story. Heavily influenced by Conrad's Heart of Darkness. The gameplay is standard issue for a military style shooter, not poorly designed, but not exceptional either. What truly sets this game apart from others in this genre is it's story. The player is forced to make difficult decisions that make this game have an emotional impact. This is rare in any game, let alone a shooter in this day and age. Definitely worth buying. Expand
  89. Jul 16, 2012
    This game has an outstanding story! Yes, some of it could be a little quirky....but it is still one of the best fps stories I've ever encountered. Also, the game has excellent character progression. The gun gameplay, is simple cover and shoot... Nothing special. The level design, visuals, and AI are mediocre to downright awful. Conclusion: get it for the story, but don't buy it for full price. There are a ton of places to get it for $25 Expand
  90. Oct 18, 2012
    A must play.
    2 first hours of gameplay seems like a normal action game with good atmosphere, even sometimes little boring, but after that... the game become to a great experience because an awesome and unusual plot on shooters.
  91. Jan 27, 2013
    This game has, unlike other shooters, a very strong story in the campaign. The voice acting is fabulous, the art style is excellent, the sound is amazing. I have yet to try the coop and the multi-player but I thoroughly enjoyed the campaign. My only issue was the length - completed it in around 11.5 hours. It has some replay value since the game does alter with the decisions you make. And although the campaign was short, I am at a loss as to how you could have extended it without making it laborious. Since I picked it up on sale for $7.69 you really can't go wrong! Expand
  92. May 6, 2013
    Simply an amazing game. Spec Ops: The Line offers high end, fast paced action game play to the player. If you're in it for the story, then this game will give it to you. If you're in it for the game play and mechanics, well...then this is just your average shooter. Overall, I'd say stick to enjoying the story line. It clearly shows that the devs have put a lot of time and effort into crafting such an intense story. It really hits you in the gut at some points in the game. It is not for the weak hearted because there are a lot of disturbing elements that drive you to the edge of your seat. (I won't give any spoilers however).

As for the game play mechanics, it may not be the best engine used in the world, giving it's only unreal 3, but it is your average low end 'Gears of War' or Ghost Recon Future Soldier.' Main guns are typically the ones used in every military shooter, but why else must you complain? It's post apocalyptic modern military warfare. All in all, great game for what it is. Definitely worth a shot playing it. It will surely leave you questioning, what you just played.
  93. Dec 16, 2012
    Really liking the game so far. Controls are great on a 360 gamepad, it took a bit to get used to the cover-system but after ten minutes or so it became a breeze. The weapons I found fun to use and its nice that there isn't 1028203920 ammo crates throughout the game, you have to spare your ammo. Graphics are very solid for a console port, I loved the little details like the bugs crawling all around the corpses and the particle effects were nice. Headshots are also very satisfying. The story is very gripping, compelling even. Truly one of the few games that actually demonstrates the horror of war rather than glorify it. Expand
  94. Nov 1, 2012
    The game-play is nothing special, but don't let that fool you, this game packs some puch, aimed right at your head. The story starts out has a mere, banal, military shooter, only to give you a sense of familiarity, but them it starts to question you, it starts to play with you in ways that are rarely seen on a video-game. The character development is absolutely fantastic, mind blowing, to the point were you question yourself as a gamer and as a person. The story is so profound and so full of moral ambiguity, that you have to play through a second time just to see what you have missed. This is not so much as a game, but rather an experience one feels through the telling of a story and it's characters. Expand
  95. Nov 30, 2012
    Its been a while since shooters have been taken by crappy pointless games geared towards multiplayer addiction. SO:TL is none of this. I didn't care about the multiplayer (which I heard sucks), but the campaign has one of the best stories in a video game I've ever seen. Its woirth it because of the memorable single player experience.
    The mechanics are cometimes flawed, true, and you may
    die sometimes because you didn't got into cover when you should, but its nothing that breaks the game. It plays nicely, IMO. Expand
  96. Dec 30, 2012
    Delightfully stunned... I picked this up on a Steam sale and expected to put it down after a few hours like I do most games. I can't speak for the console version of this game, but the PC version, at least as of right now is polished and smooth. The story was deep and dark with a great twist at the end. Absolutely awesome game and worth the money. Truly a great surprise.
  97. Aug 3, 2014
    This game hit me like a ton of bricks. It should be called the anti-Call of Duty. You question the morality of what you're doing and the consequences of your actions. This isn't some laughable morality system like in Bio-Shock, this is a game that shocks and forces you to contemplate what you're doing.
    The gameplay is ok in a Gears of War kind of way and graphics are very console, but the
    story, Jesus, the story. I'm still thinking about it. Christ, the ending has got to be one of the best I've seen.

I can't give the story away but you can see touches of Apocalypse Now every now and then. There is no ham-fisted message about war being bad. There is no sentimental manipulation. It's all presented as matter of fact and you'll feel it in your stomach.

Recomended as a rare experience in gaming. There's no jingoism of flag waving here.
    No other game shaken me like this and the ending, man, the ending... I need a hug.
  98. Dec 26, 2012
    Spec Ops no es un juego perfecto, pero tiene más ideas, en términos de historia y de ambientación, que la enorme mayoría de los fichines del género. Es esencial para el que disfrute de un sólido juego de acción y sienta que ya lo vio todo.
  99. Jul 15, 2013
    One of the best games I've played in years!! The cover-based system is even more fun than Max Payne 3, and it also has auto-aim --which always makes the game a lot more fun and combats more spectacular, when using a game-pad.
  100. Jan 11, 2013
    The MP is not as well as the SP,I love the cover system,and the story of the game is good,but the MP just make me feel down,it sucks.that was bad,yeah,really bad.If Yager can give me a better MP,I think the scores of the game can be better.
  101. Dec 30, 2012
    The most remarkable thing about this game is its truly dark story and its high level of unnecessary violence. I thought it would be a straight shooter game, but the "Apocalypse Now" - like story added greatly to the gaming experience, although I don't like things that brutal. The setting of post-apocalyptic Dubai is rather unique and interesting. The opponent A.I. is rather bad and predictable, controls are also bad. Overall I give it an 8 because it was an enjoyable experience and well worth the money. Collapse

1. Oct 13, 2012
    Spec Ops: The Line tries new and interesting ground on storytelling, but falls short on the action department. Still, it's worth playing through for the atmosphere and few different endings alone. [Aug 2012]
  2. Aug 31, 2012
    Were it not for some technical issues and console-related shortcomings (gamepad controls and no anti-aliasing), Spec Ops: The Line would be one of the best games for 2012. But, things being as they are, it remains merely a diamond in the rough, destined for wicked crazy status within the following years. Definitely superior to the related series of Kane & Lynch, it proves that, with a steady vision and soul, a genre so clichéd like military shooters, can not only surprise us pleasantly, but totally overwhelm us. [August 2012]
    Expectations were greater than game could have achieved. Yet the new Spec Ops game is a good excuse to stay home and play. [Issue#220]