- Summary: Spec Ops: The Line is a provocative third-person modern military shooter that challenges players' morality by putting them in the middle of unspeakable situations where unimaginable choices affecting human life must be made. Spec Ops: The Line unfolds within the destroyed opulence of Dubai. Once the playground for the world's wealthiest elite, Dubai has fallen victim to a series of cataclysmic sandstorms. The city's ultramodern architecture lies half-buried under millions of tons of sand. The very sand that blankets the city plays a marquee role in altering combat situations and serves as a powerful but unpredictable force that will both help and hinder players throughout the course of the game. While most people have fled the now-barren wasteland before the sandstorms swept through, U.S. Army Colonel John Konrad and his loyal squad remained behind to protect those incapable of escape. Unable to reach anyone in Dubai after the storm hit, the U.S. Army feared Konrad and his team dead until they picked up a weak distress signal and launched a rescue operation. As U.S. Army Captain Martin Walker, you and your elite Delta Force team are sent to infiltrate the treacherous region to bring Konrad home. Players experience “"The Line," that razor's edge known only to men who deal in war. It is the line they cross when death and duty become one and the same. It is the end -- of self and sanity -- when their duty is done and only they remain. [2K Games]… Expand
Aug 31, 2012Were it not for some technical issues and console-related shortcomings (gamepad controls and no anti-aliasing), Spec Ops: The Line would be one of the best games for 2012. But, things being as they are, it remains merely a diamond in the rough, destined for wicked crazy status within the following years. Definitely superior to the related series of Kane & Lynch, it proves that, with a steady vision and soul, a genre so clichéd like military shooters, can not only surprise us pleasantly, but totally overwhelm us. [August 2012]
Jun 27, 2012A solid third-person shooter that delivers intense action and a compelling setting, but relies too much on established mechanics, rather than delivering something new. The story however really stands out - a grim and challenging reflection on violence is something you won't find in any typical shooter. Fortunately it's also missing that dull patriotism you've come to expect from today's military action games.
Jul 6, 2012As it is, the story must be commended for tackling the horrors of war and the effect it has on the human mind, and the techniques it deploys to accomplish this. It tries things no other modern military shooter has even come close to, boldly stating that shooters don't always have to be wrapped in mundane and convoluted storytelling, and that's quite the accomplishment considering the oversaturation of the genre.
Jun 11, 2013If you like are ever played Gear of war then this gam has some thing to offer you .
One of the most underrated games of the past few years just because of the not so good MP they were forced to add. And a lot of people don't like the Anti War and anti American politics in the game
Game is all about single player which is very good, Great fire fights and games graphics are very good along with a good story .You can pick this up cheap not and its well worth it… Expand
Jul 30, 2012Where is the love? I don't want to give a good story away, so I'll talk about what I liked. Graphics are good, but the story as mentioned is great! It definitely sucked me in and this was definitely a game for me to replay at least the end to get all the endings. I also think this game is a work of art. I also can't remember another game that has told me, 'If you were a better person, you would not be here' or said something like, What is necessary and what is good are the same.… Expand
Aug 25, 2014Positive: 1. Great story 2. Stunning visuals 3. Competent character design and characterization 4. Solid voice acting 5. Perfect endings
6. Finishes right where it should without becoming a drag
1. Very buggy and lots of technical issues
2. The combat is mediocre at best… Expand
Mar 4, 20148.2/10
+ Interesting Story
+ Amazing writing/script
+ Great Characters and Nice Character Development
+ Engaging story that makes you feel emotionally involved
+ You make decisions that affect outcomes
+ Great Twist at the end
+ Nice use of environments in play
+ Different locations throughout Dubai that all are interesting
- Some "choices" seem like you actually have no control
- Nothing new with gameplay (Generic Third Person Shooter Gameplay)
- Some controls were frustrating (ex. X [Gamepad] was used to get to cover AND to run)
Overall Spec Ops: The Line was an interesting and engaging interactive cinematic experience. Spec Ops had the story of a big budget Hollywood action movie, but also had the familiar third person shooter in it. The story kept me on the edge of my seat and wanting to know what happens next. At some parts Specs Ops was just another grindfest, but then again what shooter today isn't? Spec Ops did not have a huge selection of guns, which did not hurt the game at all. Instead of looking for the coolest weapon, you were looking for weapons to help you clear the level so you could find out what happens next.
In conclusion Spec Ops: The Line is a great game that should not be missed out on due to the new emotional and mental take on war. The game will rank up there with my favorite games that would make me want to play again, to play the many different ending.
P.S. The graphics for this game was pretty okay, nothing fancy, but nothing terrible. I put this at the end of my review as to not get this confused with pluses and minuses. I would NEVER include graphics as a means of judging a game.… Expand
Jul 16, 2012This game has it's strengths and weaknesses. I wouldn't call it a master piece, but it creates a distinct and interesting world that made me want to learn more about what's going on in the devastated city of dubai.
It's story is different to what one would expect from a typical military shooter and that makes it worth playing.… Expand
Jan 17, 2013This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. No, Just no. If you play a game for a thrilling story line and an engaging back story like I do then **** THIS GAME. I cannot believe the rubbish of a story this game has and then you got all these people painting it like it's a top notch novel that just blows you away at the end. The ENTIRE STORY just seems like a bunch of gun hating, soldier bashing, liberals, got into a room and just start throwing **** at a wall until they came up with a game that would only interest you because of the hype they drummed up. This game totally paints all soldiers/people who like guns as retards and in the end kill everyone because it's sooo awesome. I mean FFS, I didn't try it, but at the end of the game you have the choice to shoot yourself or if you don't then you have the option to KILL MORE ****ING SOLDIERS as they come to RESCUE you! WTF?! I think it's just one big social experiment to see who the **** would want to do it. There is no DLC and there never will be because there's no way they can continue this crap story.
One other thing. Again at the end. (and I think they mention it near the middle as well) They keep telling you all you had to do was stop. All you had to do was just stop pushing forward. WTF?! Why would I pay 60 bux for a game just to stop playing it? I feel really bad for those that paid FP for this game cause they got ripped the **** off. In fact I think most of those people that did buy it at FP probably got on here and reviewed it as awesome just so dumb ****s like us would be like, **** it can't be all that bad. Look how many good review it got!" No they just wanted us to drink the GD kool-aid too cause they didn't want to be the only ones...
If the game was just me running around shooting /randoms with no story I'd give it a 5. It's not a HORRIBLE shooter, but JFC, I cannot for the life of get over the fact that the story was so utterly terrible. Charles Barkley tuurrribel even...… Expand