• Publisher: Aspyr
  • Release Date: May 5, 2006
7.6

1. May 6, 2012
    This is a decent time sink, but compared to other games on the maket, I can't recommend going out of your way to play this. The RPG aspects and cumbersome and not really distinctive, while the RTS elements are more annoying that interesting. If you want a great RPG party based game, there are many great games worth playing. If you want a great RTS game, there are also many great gamesThis is a decent time sink, but compared to other games on the maket, I can't recommend going out of your way to play this. The RPG aspects and cumbersome and not really distinctive, while the RTS elements are more annoying that interesting. If you want a great RPG party based game, there are many great games worth playing. If you want a great RTS game, there are also many great games in that genre. Spellforce offers a playable combination of those two genres, but nothing in the atmosphere, characters, story, or gameplay mechanics really stood out to me. Expand
  2. Nov 4, 2014
    This game is horrid. I was all excited to see elements of an RPG but all I got was a lackluster warcraft, but with worse graphics (didn't think that was possible). I honestly don't see what the draw is. There are few units, the textures are terrible but the troop movement is fluid. I did spend $5 on this game but it wasn't worth it in the least. The only reason I would ever play this gameThis game is horrid. I was all excited to see elements of an RPG but all I got was a lackluster warcraft, but with worse graphics (didn't think that was possible). I honestly don't see what the draw is. There are few units, the textures are terrible but the troop movement is fluid. I did spend $5 on this game but it wasn't worth it in the least. The only reason I would ever play this game is to be reminded of old school games I used to play like Lords of the Realm or Warcraft. Expand

1. And tackling the huge amount of diverse RPG quests, picking up and evaluating items, advancing your character's skills to match your tactics is a thoroughly engrossing mix. SpellForce 2 is that rare beast - a thoroughly well executed hybrid game.
  2. If the game has any major flaws at all, it's that whilst the two halves of the game, RTS and RPG, mesh together brilliantly, if you take either of those elements in isolation, they're perhaps a little on the lightweight side. Fortunately, the game does have real synergy: it's greater than the sum of its parts.
  3. The combination of RTS and RPG works well, each having its very distinct place in the overall feel of the game. Throw in that multiplayer bonus and developer Phenomic is in danger of having a hit on its hands.