SpellForce 2: Shadow Wars PC

• Publisher: Aspyr
  • Release Date: May 5, 2006
7.5

1. May 28, 2014
    I dig mindless hack-and-slash, and this game has it in spades. I had a fun time playing through once and will probably go back and reinstall at some point in the future. It has bugs, sure, and it's not perfect, but it's fun, and the level of character customization is very fun and rewarding. Just don't pay too much for it and you won't be disappointed.
  2. Nov 5, 2013
    I've only started playing the first couple scenes and the overall gameplay seems like it'll be good, but the reason I gave it a 5 is because of the voiceover. For such a highly rated and valued game among RPG players, you think the company wouldn't have skimped on bad acting... I just can't get past the lack of emotionalism during the dialog scenes.
  3. StephanW.
    Jul 7, 2007
    The game is quite good, but no comparison to SF1. Though it is not as bugged as SF1, the atmosphere is not as ingenious. The addon Dragon Storm is a little better.

1. And tackling the huge amount of diverse RPG quests, picking up and evaluating items, advancing your character's skills to match your tactics is a thoroughly engrossing mix. SpellForce 2 is that rare beast - a thoroughly well executed hybrid game.
  2. If the game has any major flaws at all, it's that whilst the two halves of the game, RTS and RPG, mesh together brilliantly, if you take either of those elements in isolation, they're perhaps a little on the lightweight side. Fortunately, the game does have real synergy: it's greater than the sum of its parts.
  3. The combination of RTS and RPG works well, each having its very distinct place in the overall feel of the game. Throw in that multiplayer bonus and developer Phenomic is in danger of having a hit on its hands.