SpellForce 2: Shadow Wars PC

• Publisher: Aspyr
  • Release Date: May 5, 2006
7.4

1. Apr 24, 2015
    A blend between RPG and RTS, the game is similar to Nevwrinter Nights 2 with elements of Warcraft 3. You can design your character and develop he or she in a skill tree, and also will be recruiting and commanding an army. The graphics are clearly from a decade but still acceptable (very similar to Neverwinter Nights 2), and when you get immersed in the plot, graphics will be the last thingA blend between RPG and RTS, the game is similar to Nevwrinter Nights 2 with elements of Warcraft 3. You can design your character and develop he or she in a skill tree, and also will be recruiting and commanding an army. The graphics are clearly from a decade but still acceptable (very similar to Neverwinter Nights 2), and when you get immersed in the plot, graphics will be the last thing you will noticed. It deserves a sequel Spell Force 3. Expand
  2. Nov 4, 2014
    This game is horrid. I was all excited to see elements of an RPG but all I got was a lackluster warcraft, but with worse graphics (didn't think that was possible). I honestly don't see what the draw is. There are few units, the textures are terrible but the troop movement is fluid. I did spend $5 on this game but it wasn't worth it in the least. The only reason I would ever play this gameThis game is horrid. I was all excited to see elements of an RPG but all I got was a lackluster warcraft, but with worse graphics (didn't think that was possible). I honestly don't see what the draw is. There are few units, the textures are terrible but the troop movement is fluid. I did spend $5 on this game but it wasn't worth it in the least. The only reason I would ever play this game is to be reminded of old school games I used to play like Lords of the Realm or Warcraft. Expand
  3. May 28, 2014
    I dig mindless hack-and-slash, and this game has it in spades. I had a fun time playing through once and will probably go back and reinstall at some point in the future. It has bugs, sure, and it's not perfect, but it's fun, and the level of character customization is very fun and rewarding. Just don't pay too much for it and you won't be disappointed.
  4. Jan 19, 2014
    This is masterpice........ I enjoyed every minute! I hope that Spellforce 3 will be something like this one! This game atmosphere is so good, beautiful landscape and music!
  5. Nov 5, 2013
    I've only started playing the first couple scenes and the overall gameplay seems like it'll be good, but the reason I gave it a 5 is because of the voiceover. For such a highly rated and valued game among RPG players, you think the company wouldn't have skimped on bad acting... I just can't get past the lack of emotionalism during the dialog scenes.
  6. May 6, 2012
    This is a decent time sink, but compared to other games on the maket, I can't recommend going out of your way to play this. The RPG aspects and cumbersome and not really distinctive, while the RTS elements are more annoying that interesting. If you want a great RPG party based game, there are many great games worth playing. If you want a great RTS game, there are also many great gamesThis is a decent time sink, but compared to other games on the maket, I can't recommend going out of your way to play this. The RPG aspects and cumbersome and not really distinctive, while the RTS elements are more annoying that interesting. If you want a great RPG party based game, there are many great games worth playing. If you want a great RTS game, there are also many great games in that genre. Spellforce offers a playable combination of those two genres, but nothing in the atmosphere, characters, story, or gameplay mechanics really stood out to me. Expand
  7. Jan 3, 2012
    I got this game free with my graphics card a few years ago. It was an awesome game, and I loved how it mixed RPG with RTS elements at different points of the game. The maps and dungeons etc were designed well and the graphics were great. I'd say its twice as good as Dungeon Siege.
  8. Sep 13, 2010
    I admired many parts of this game. I have played for around 60-70 hours with it quite happy most of the time. I really loved how the sunset and dawn cast a totally different color to the scenes. Graphics is great, especially the handling of light and shadow. So for me it was worth buying this title.
  9. TK
    Sep 2, 2007
    A unique blend of RTS and RPG elements with a huge campaign as well as other modes of play. There are many optional side-quests that can be completed in different order or not at all. The graphics are pretty nice too. However, if one is skilled at micro-managing a small group of RPG characters, then non-hero units are almost unnecessary. If one is playing the game as a true hybrid, then A unique blend of RTS and RPG elements with a huge campaign as well as other modes of play. There are many optional side-quests that can be completed in different order or not at all. The graphics are pretty nice too. However, if one is skilled at micro-managing a small group of RPG characters, then non-hero units are almost unnecessary. If one is playing the game as a true hybrid, then it feels rather like Warcraft 3, for better or for worse. Overall, the games flaws don't really affect it's enjoyability. Expand
  10. StephanW.
    Jul 7, 2007
    The game is quite good, but no comparison to SF1. Though it is not as bugged as SF1, the atmosphere is not as ingenious. The addon Dragon Storm is a little better.
  11. BernardB.
    Aug 13, 2006
    Its a shallow reflection of the first part. The RTS-part has been simplified and reduced in depth, the story is worn out, and boring and the Diablo-skilltree is a shameful try, to draw undemanding players to this game. How someone can give better rates to a reduced version of the original game will stay a mystery to me.
  12. RonaldP.
    Jun 1, 2006
    This game doesn't deserve a review under 85 it's a good game great graphics, and a lot of replay value that won't seem repetitive.
  13. ArenM.
    May 16, 2006
    This game is good fun. Need to upgrade my video card, because of some compatibilty issues. Gives me a good excuse. This original type gameplay is a welcome break from the onslaught of MMORPGS.
  14. JanB.
    May 5, 2006
    Well executed and entertaining plus very unique gameplay. I do not know whether to call it more a role playing or a strategy game, but it definitely appeals to both kinds of players.
  15. Zadinos
    Apr 26, 2006
    I must say that this game is really good. Nice graffics , sound and most of all gameplay. Its nice to have something beside Oblivion. Good and beutiful game for those who like Diablo.
  16. Jan 19, 2014

1. And tackling the huge amount of diverse RPG quests, picking up and evaluating items, advancing your character's skills to match your tactics is a thoroughly engrossing mix. SpellForce 2 is that rare beast - a thoroughly well executed hybrid game.
  2. If the game has any major flaws at all, it's that whilst the two halves of the game, RTS and RPG, mesh together brilliantly, if you take either of those elements in isolation, they're perhaps a little on the lightweight side. Fortunately, the game does have real synergy: it's greater than the sum of its parts.
  3. The combination of RTS and RPG works well, each having its very distinct place in the overall feel of the game. Throw in that multiplayer bonus and developer Phenomic is in danger of having a hit on its hands.